PDA

View Full Version : The New SouthWest Thread...a fresh start

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/society/images/kyla-ebbert.jpg

Okay people...I've been talking a lot about a re-dedication to support of TFC after losing our way with distractions. So it's time I put my money where my mouth is. I have been back in 118 for about 6 weeks now and what I see there saddens me. While we may never be the "Bunker" we still have a lot to offer and I KNOW there are people who want to participate. So we are looking for ideas, suggestions and quite frankly a commitment that we are going to give our all in 118 and work together at making it a better atmosphere.

To start! Let's get a roll-call of everyone from 116 to 119 because this is where it will begin! Tell us where you are and what you think we should do to help improve the atmosphere.

Roogsy....118

I think we need a new song. Oh When The Reds is so overused in our section that people are tuning it out. I think something simple like Forza might be the ticket...but I am willing to entertain any other song.

Also...

I will start bringing my snare drum to the games. I don't know if it will help, but we will take it on a game-by-game basis.

Anyone else?

DavydMT
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Motagua game will have higher than usual concentration of RPBs and like minded supporters in the south end, might be a good time to start.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Hmmm...wasn't there concern that this game was not selling out? In which case, there is also the real possibility that there will be more tourists than usual. The new people in 118 during the Bolton game were bothered by the fact that they had to stand. :eek:

cementhead
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Hay! Roogsy I sit in 118 this year mild rows don,t do enough because most are casual fans bottom not bad top OK mild stinks.Some would rather sit then stand just my opinion.

moralis
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I wrote about this on the thread "We need people from each section". about two months ago and nothing has changed.

I've been in section 116 since the beginning and its been getting less vocal, less cheering. I've been one of the most vocal in that section. Started chants and songs. We need someone from Red Patch Boys or U-sector in between 116-119 with a microphone to start chants and songs like the guy in section 110-111. You could put him at the end of section 118 or 119. Imagine if we had the same kind of atmosphere between 110-114 in sections 116-119, it would be amazing feeling.

I spoke to Boris a few games ago, but heard nothing back. I hope he's reading this and can get some people from Red Patch Boys or U-sector down to sections 116-119. It's much needed.

Thanks

Pedro

bgnewf
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
TRN sadly sucks the atmosphere out of that section with the incessant drumming.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 12:03 AM
When the sections are loud, you can barely hear TRN.

When the section is quiet...you can hear them crystal clear.

Moralis...we don't need Boris to do the work for us. Boris has his hands full with 112 and there isn't much he can do as there is no way for him to "fill" our sections with Usector/RPB members.

We are our own section that has members from all groups and unaffiliated supporters. If we all get on the same page, we can get the results we want without counting on people from other sections to help us.

Yagbod
07-24-2010, 01:19 AM
From 110 the Massive from the SW corner in the late stages of the Bolton game sounded good. Keep it up!

Red Rat
07-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Roogsy, I may go back to 116-117 how about a small drum there too

rr

cementhead
07-24-2010, 10:09 AM
What we need is someone who is loud who knows the chants and can get people off there asses. I think a drum could help to. People must be reminded that this is part of the support section. I think most people come just for the atmosphere and to stay they're in supporter section.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Hey Roogsy, I may go back to 116-117 how about a small drum there too

rr

Rat...there is a strong group of supporters (I don't know who they are) in the top half of 116. They really try to get things going and I feel for them that they don't get support around them. If you can join up with them, I would take cues from them and try to help 118 get going.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
What we need is someone who is loud who knows the chants and can get people off there asses. I think a drum could help to. People must be reminded that this is part of the support section. I think most people come just for the atmosphere and to stay they're in supporter section.

Another problem is that people don't know any chants at all. All they know is "Oh when the reds"...ugh...it has absolutely killed that chant for me to hear it 20 times a game.

Roogsy
07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
From 110 the Massive from the SW corner in the late stages of the Bolton game sounded good. Keep it up!

I think you're referring to the southeast corner my friend.

DavydMT
07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Another problem is that people don't know any chants at all. All they know is "Oh when the reds"...ugh...it has absolutely killed that chant for me to hear it 20 times a game.

Roogsy, i have 50 copies of a small chant list (9 chants) that you can distribute through the section. i will bring it today.

Hitcho
07-24-2010, 12:39 PM
118, row 14

I think it's worth adding row nos because from previous efforts to do this we've discovered that there are some "dark" areas within each section. Having a map of where we all are might help unify things a bit - if you know there's a strong congregation four rows ahead of you, for example, then you know to where to keep an eye on for new chants.

Definitely on board for any efforts to get the section/area up to scratch in support terms. I have a loud voice and being about half way up the section (just above top of stairwell) I've noticed that when I join a chant that's started, quite often some people just behind me will kick in. It's the kind of section where people don't want to feel like lone voices. Give them something to cling to and they'll join in.

TRN - the herd of elephants in the room. Some tips:

1. they don't seem to turn up and get going until about 20 mins into the games. This is golden time for the SW corner chanters. Get the chants going strong and early so people get in the swing of it and can keep going. Also a good time for people nearby to be able to hear the words/tune better and learn as they go. Must make use of this window.

2. Have a word with their leader and make them swear in their own blood to SHUT THE FUCK UP (completely) during the Dichio chant. They know when it's coming, but against Colorado the fuckers actually STARTED their drumming just as the Dichio song was getting going and they completely killed it. They need to show some respect, there's no reason they can't wait 90 seconds and then start.

3. I disagree about being able to out-noise them. Maybe in the front few rows you can because of the distance, but where I am they have drowned out all noise and chants whenever they have played for 3.5 years. It's impossible to catch strains of what is coming from east or west or even the front of 118. So maybe we need to have a word and ask them to pipe down when they see/hear a chant is getting going. They sometimes try and join in, but it never works, it just kills the chant anyway. Asking them to take a hike won't work, but asking them to work with us and pipe down when they can see we're on to something is a reasonable request. There will be plenty of time for them to drum away in quiet patches.

4. I still think TRN are way out of line. I know there are drums in 112 and other areas, but it's a question of degree. A capo doesn't drown out everything else in the area. TRN do. I can barely hear the tannoy announcements when they play. My feeling is if you cannot take your drum/instrument to your seat then you shouldn't fucking have it there. TRN can't take their drums to their seats, they need stands for what they use. Personally I have always wanted to report them to health and safety or the fire dept inspectors or something, just to see if those guys might do what the FO won't. Just something to bear in mind. (Here's how my convos with the FO have gone - "How would you like it if they turned right behind you all game?" "I would hate it and complain." "So why should I have to dal with it?" "Hmmm, I see your point." "So what are you going to do about it?" "Well, nothing. But we'll make a note of your call." :facepalm:) However, I know there are people that on the other side of the fence from me so these days I tend to just curse them under my breath and leave it at that. If there's enough anti-TRN feeling in the SW corner though, then I definitely think that majority rule should prevail and we can see about getting them under control. :D

Yagbod
07-26-2010, 12:40 AM
I think you're referring to the southeast corner my friend.

Perhaps I have the name wrong. I thought the 'massive' was the french back and forth song? 'who do you sing for? we sing for the reds!' ...roughly. Anyway, I could hear that song late in the game from the southwest corner, all the way in mid-110.

Although, not in the Dallas game.

Section 117
07-26-2010, 07:37 AM
I am doen for what ever needs to be done Section 117 row 8.

Roogsy the problem for the majority of my section is high turnover rate. Many new faces every game. IMO I think you need to talk to the english guys in row 3 or 4. I think they would be helpful assisting us.

PM me if you are going to be in your Section Tuesday night. I will pop over and show you who I am talking about

Roogsy
07-26-2010, 07:39 AM
For Motagua I will probably be in 112. If a league game is so bad in the southwest, I can't imagine how bad this game is going to be with all the new faces not to mention the fact that it doesn't seem like the game is sold out.

I will be back in 118 for the next game hopefully but then I am gone for all of August on vacation. We need to figure something out for our corner for the rest of the season as we push for the playoffs because as it stands, we are the worst part of the "supporter's" section.

Section 117
07-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Cool, I will come see you prior to the next league match...

Wagner
07-26-2010, 07:58 AM
English Rachel and I are at the top of 116.
JayRey is up there too.
I'd love to get that side of things a little louder.
I have lost a little bit of steam trying to get things going, i used to hand out songsheets and streamers, and rocked the massive flag when Al-mo loaned it.

If others are going to give it another go, I'll get in on the action.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-26-2010, 08:25 AM
i gotta admit that in the first two years i was vehemently opposed to people coming into our section and trying to start cheers mostly because we did it in our own time in our own way etc but as of the last 2 or so years things have died down and i wouldnt mind people coming in to start cheers etc. Things do pick up once something has started but generally we arent what we used to be (loud but disorganized, now we just are)
I definitely agree that there is a high turn over rate and that doesnt help.

Hitcho
07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
This is a definitely case of the sum being greater than the constituent parts. If we get properly organised then we should be able to work out where the clusters of singing fans are and feed from each other by being more alert to this and maybe pre-planning one or two chants a game just to give us a footing. A seating map would be a good start (I think Roogsy may have done one of these before) and also some meet ups before games to get to know each other better and know who to look and listen for.

But still, we'll be doomed unless we can stop the monotonous TRN drums... :(

peterboroughtfcfan
07-27-2010, 01:08 AM
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/society/images/kyla-ebbert.jpg

Okay people...I've been talking a lot about a re-dedication to support of TFC after losing our way with distractions. So it's time I put my money where my mouth is. I have been back in 118 for about 6 weeks now and what I see there saddens me. While we may never be the "Bunker" we still have a lot to offer and I KNOW there are people who want to participate. So we are looking for ideas, suggestions and quite frankly a commitment that we are going to give our all in 118 and work together at making it a better atmosphere.

To start! Let's get a roll-call of everyone from 116 to 119 because this is where it will begin! Tell us where you are and what you think we should do to help improve the atmosphere.

Roogsy....118

I think we need a new song. Oh When The Reds is so overused in our section that people are tuning it out. I think something simple like Forza might be the ticket...but I am willing to entertain any other song.

Also...

I will start bringing my snare drum to the games. I don't know if it will help, but we will take it on a game-by-game basis.

Anyone else?

Roogsy,

Sorry I haven't been there for the last few games. I'm on a month long tour of Australia but will be back August 9th. I won't miss a game after that and you can count on my singing and drumming the entire time. Good work man!

Hitcho
07-27-2010, 06:24 AM
What's the significance of the chick in your OP, Roogsy? :noidea:

rviewmirror
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey guys. I am in 119 - mid section closer to 120 side and share seasons with my dad. When I am there, you can count on me being vocal. While I don't initiate chants, I definately follow when one is started.

My suggestion is can we as a section (117 to 119), can we come up with a chant that can actually use the TRN drums as background. It is usually the same beat. that way they can help out instead of kill a chant.

thoughts?

Roogsy
07-27-2010, 08:44 AM
What's the significance of the chick in your OP, Roogsy? :noidea:

She's the chick that got booted off the Southwest flight in the US for wearing a short skirt. No connection to the section...I just like women. :hump:

Roogsy
07-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey guys. I am in 119 - mid section closer to 120 side and share seasons with my dad. When I am there, you can count on me being vocal. While I don't initiate chants, I definately follow when one is started.

My suggestion is can we as a section (117 to 119), can we come up with a chant that can actually use the TRN drums as background. It is usually the same beat. that way they can help out instead of kill a chant.

thoughts?

I'm not sure there is anything we can sing that has the TRN's backbeat.

C.Ronaldo
07-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Im in 120, and it all starts with the steel pan band.

They drown out any attempt of starting a chant.

Sometimes they dont even play a song

I like them, but by then end of the game I cant wait to get away.

It would be nice if they played periodically, not the entire time.

Roogsy
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't put the blame entirely on TRN. They do what they do. I do notice that when we do "TFC clap clap clap" they join us with the drums. In effect, they fill something that is empty to begin with. If they weren't there, I am not sure I believe things would be any different.

The blame lies on all of us in the southwest corner that don't do anything ourselves to get things going. There are hundreds of us and like 5 of them. I don't think they'd try to interfere with what the fans would want to do. The problem? The fans aren't doing anything...so they do it themselves.

frantic
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
i'm usually in 118, minus a game here or there. gone bring my voice to today's game that's for sure.

i know there are a few people (rows 1-3, 8 and 9, and towards the top of the section) that try to get things going but, yeah, when those rows are quite it's sad. a couple of guys brought the drums to a few games back and it definitely pumped up the section. more of that is needed.

Jeffro
07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I'll be bringing my A-game to 118 tonight... hopefully there'll be some people there to help!

Section 117
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Jeffro I will be in 117 I will swing by and say hello pre game...

My brother and I will be there with our A game

TFCDP
07-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Sat in 119 last night for half the game. TRN truly does ruin the atmosphere. Became more and more enraged having to listen to them and made the decision to never sit in the southwest corner again. Moved to 111 at the half and probably had the best game experience of the last three years.
Props to NEE as well, they were amazing along with the south end.

Hitcho
07-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure there is anything we can sing that has the TRN's backbeat.

There isn't - you just cannot synch the two. TRN drown it all out, screw up the timing or miss the chant because it;s voer by the time they get going.

I wouldn't put the blame entirely on TRN. They do what they do. I do notice that when we do "TFC clap clap clap" they join us with the drums. In effect, they fill something that is empty to begin with. If they weren't there, I am not sure I believe things would be any different.

The blame lies on all of us in the southwest corner that don't do anything ourselves to get things going. There are hundreds of us and like 5 of them. I don't think they'd try to interfere with what the fans would want to do. The problem? The fans aren't doing anything...so they do it themselves.

Disagree strongly. There have been plenty of times when chants have started to takeoff in 118 or (more often) started to carry across from other areas and be picked up in 118, but TRN drowns them out and kills it before it gets going, or prevents it from ebing picked up at all. They are so friggin' loud that they cannot hear when something starts so they don't know when to shut up even if they wanted to. The problem is not the fans being quiet, it's TRN being so loud that the fans cannot compete with them and get involved even if they want to. As for the 5 vs many argument, one loud instrument can easily drown out many voices, so that's pretty thin in my book.

Sat in 119 last night for half the game. TRN truly does ruin the atmosphere. Became more and more enraged having to listen to them and made the decision to never sit in the southwest corner again. Moved to 111 at the half and probably had the best game experience of the last three years.
Props to NEE as well, they were amazing along with the south end.

And this is exactly what will happen - people want to be in the south end so they can chant and sing. TRN stops them doing that in 118 and surrounding areas so those fans will migrate over time to an area where they are not prevented from doing what they want at a game, and we'll be left with people who don't give a shit about chanting. Hell I've even thought about moving out of the section - the only reason I don't is because I refuse to give in to the fuckers and let them force me out of my first-goal-watching seats I've had since day one.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
meh, although id like to see mroe chanting in 117 i cant say i hate TRN or what they do, i still think it adds to the atmosphere more than it takes away

Hitcho
07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
^ That's the problem though Oss, the two are incompatible. I have nothing against TRN as a group or what they do and yeah, they do add some good background noise to BMO Field, especially at quiet times. If they were located half way down the east stand then I would be ambivalent about them too. But when they're behind your head and kill off any hope of chanting in that area, it gets to be a bit tedious since it goes on all game every game.

Put it this way, if they were moved to the back of 112, then people on here would be PISSED about it because 112's supporting efforts would be severely hampered, rather than because anyone particularly hated TRN.

Jeffro
07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I know, at least at the bottom of 118, that as soon as we have a small group of people singing I can't hear TRN. Might be more of a problem closer to the top, so I once again invite anyone closer to the top who wants to sing, come join us near the bottom! There are always several empty seats around us, and sometimes it's just those couple extra voices that we need to get more of our section involved.

I don't blame TRN at all. I'm surrounded by people who mock us for singing, chanted flags suck when I waved a flag, and droned vuvuzela noises any time any chant got started. So, I can't blame TRN who actually are offering something in our corner....

DichioTFC
07-28-2010, 12:45 PM
It would be nice if TRN could use the steel drums to help coordinate supporter chants... I'm sure if the supporters and TRN work together, the SouthWest could be the loudest section in BMO.

Perhaps someone that knows someone would be able to get it done?

C.Ronaldo
07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
why dont we try putting TRN in another section for one season, just to see what happens

Jeffro
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
TRN have pull with the front office because a couple years ago they went around BMO collecting names and email adresses of people saying they were going to contact people from the SW corner about how we want to organize the support in our area. They then claimed everyone who gave their email as a member of their "supporters group". As a result TRN has the largest membership of all the TFC supporters groups.

Good luck getting them moved...

Roogsy
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
TRN have pull with the front office because a couple years ago they went around BMO collecting names and email adresses of people saying they were going to contact people from the SW corner about how we want to organize the support in our area. They then claimed everyone who gave their email as a member of their "supporters group". As a result TRN has the largest membership of all the TFC supporters groups.

BWUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: Is that what they did??? OMG...lame!

Hitcho
07-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Fuckers! That was the pitch invasion day at the end of season one. I gave my name and e-mail address because I wanted to keep up to date with anything they were planning and then double agent them if it was something that would make the SW corner even harder to get chants going in - well, they got me good and proper then! :facepalm: :D

Hitcho
07-28-2010, 05:35 PM
I know, at least at the bottom of 118, that as soon as we have a small group of people singing I can't hear TRN. Might be more of a problem closer to the top, so I once again invite anyone closer to the top who wants to sing, come join us near the bottom! There are always several empty seats around us, and sometimes it's just those couple extra voices that we need to get more of our section involved.

I don't blame TRN at all. I'm surrounded by people who mock us for singing, chanted flags suck when I waved a flag, and droned vuvuzela noises any time any chant got started. So, I can't blame TRN who actually are offering something in our corner....

Jeffro, you're right on all counts. I'm in row 14 and it's literally impossible to catch anything other than a faint strain of a chant coming from the east or west of me. I've tried to pick it up and join in so many times and always get blown out by the drum noise. It's good to know that the front end of 118 isn't as badly affected. That should be the epicentre of the noise in that case.

Also, TRN don't really show up and get going (at least some games) until around 20 mins into the game. So the plan should be to launch into some chants after the anthem and make good use of the free time we have. From the anthem to the Dichio chant should be golden time and a good chance for wavering people in the area to learn some chants and tunes.

But yeah, TRN seem to be untouchable. I've had conversations with FO where they readily acknowledge that TRN are a problem for the people around them who don't want to listen to nothing but their drumming all game, and there would be a real problem if TRN were suddenly moved anywhere else in the stadium, including another SG section, but then just sit on their hands about it. The only success I may have had was getting the incredibly irritating megaphone guy kiboshed in season one by complaining that it was in breach of health and safety to have him standing in the aisle (literally) right next to me and screaming into a megaphone right by my ear. Whether he just got bored and left or they told him to stop, I have no idea. Thank god he's stopped that though, it was incredibly tedious and annoying, more so than the drums!

I'm dubious that they can or would work with chanting fans though. In fairness they have tried a bit before, but it's a bit like an elephant trying to help a mouse and stepping on it instead.

Next time I am at BMO Field without the wife in tow I'll come down to your row and join in with helping the chants. You're pretty easy to spot mate! :D

Juanito
07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Roogsy ... I'm 116. I've been venturing too much into 112 and I think I have to get reacquainted with my old friend 116 again!!

TheRenter
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM

..gay

TFCDP
07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
And even during the Dichio chant they were in the middle of thier own jam session it seemed... Could barely hear the chant get started from 119.

BakaGaijin
07-31-2010, 05:31 PM

It would be funny if people in the SW corner brought in a crap load of drums and just made a racquet and drowned out TRN. Maybe even a horn section! Give'em a taste of their own medicine. LOL.

T.O TILL I DIE
07-31-2010, 05:33 PM
TRN really grinds my gears....!!!!!LMAO:)