PDA

View Full Version : Mista...initial thoughts after 45 minutes?

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I know he hasn't played much but even in the few minutes what are your throughts?

I think his skill is evident as well as his soccer intelligence.

But man was I shocked at what bad shape he is in. He doesn't even look like a footballer! To be perfectly honest, I have little hope that he can have a significant impact with us this year. Don't get me wrong, I think he can have an impact, but I think it will be limited.

Mo bringing in guys who are not in shape half-way through the year is stupid in my opinion. Even JDG who was in better game-shape when he came in last year didn't have enough time to get into a groove...how can someone who isn't in shape and is much, much older?

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Did you get an up close and personal with him....I didn't really get a good look at his shape.......?

Juanito
07-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Roogsy ...

I think he can be a great addition to the club. His fútbol knowledge surpasses most people in this league and I think if he can get himself into the right place at the right time, he can do major damage. Even if he doesn't score goals but helps everyone around him get better ... that's money well-invested.

From Deporivo de La Coruña with love ....

http://www.aupadeportivo.com/media/galeria/36/1/7/6/1/n_deportivo_de_la_coruna_julian_de_guzman-1671.jpg http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Deportivo+La+Coruna+v+Barcelona+La+Liga+uXRIfPo2Xs ll.jpg

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
jesus this is a harsh critic, i didnt think he looked that bad and he had some great passes/touches to Maicon, im really looking forward to watch they can do together. I think this is a little soon to be making these observations. Im going to give him more time to adjust to the league, team and fitness.

jaxul
07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Tough to comment on his shape after half a friendly. Will reserve judgement until after his first full meaningful game. He definitely has a soft touch on the ball unlike most of the guys who sometimes look like they have a brick instead of a boot on their foot. For now if he provides some nice through balls and crosses well for Santos or whoever is up front I think people will be happy with him.

Azerban
07-23-2010, 10:00 AM
i honestly couldn't care any less about the bolton game and anything it "meant"

i want him to get at least 45 in the dallas game and we'll go from there

ArmenJBX
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
He looked good, Maicon looked kickass out there though. I'm looking forward to the two of them combining and possibly scoring. Honestly, when you look at the strikers we have now, I'd say only Los Angeles and NY have the advantage.

DangerRed
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Way too early for this. You won't even know the full extent of the impact he's capable of making after the Dallas game. Needs way more time.

What's noteworthy is that in the 45 min he did play, he set up a cherry goal for Santos against an EPL b-side. Not too shabby.

tfcleeds
07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
I was impressed with his contribution during the 45 no matter how fit he was. Agreed though, let's see how he does in a meaningful match, but if he plays like he did against Bolton, we have everything to be hopeful about. I've been very impressed with Maicon Santos as well since he joined, hopefully he and Mista will partner up well.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
jesus this is a harsh critic, i didnt think he looked that bad and he had some great passes/touches to Maicon, im really looking forward to watch they can do together. I think this is a little soon to be making these observations. Im going to give him more time to adjust to the league, team and fitness.

Ugh...harsh to say he looks out of shape?

Fuck...these are professional athletes. This would be harsh if it was a kid's league game.

The thread clearly states it is meant as a discussion for first impressions after his short start. If you don't have any impression yet, then please contribute when you do.

It's funny that the general sentiment so far is that it's "too early to tell" but that people have seen enough to start formulating an idea of what he can contribute. That's all this was asking for. Nobody is asking to evaluate him completely just on what he has shown us so far. It really isn't that difficult a question to answer.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
And would you look at that...a soccer writer has given his first impressions as well. He can write a whole article on Mista's performance against Bolton but we shouldn't have any opinion whatsoever? :noidea:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/07/21/johnston_mista_debut/

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 10:25 AM
I just want to know if you were in the locker room shower with him to see this out of shape body.........he looked more in shape than me.....so I am ok with it...

I think he will be a great addition to the club and looked creative from what I saw.....linked up well with the players and some great passing and held the ball well.....I can only hope once he gets to full fitness that he will work amazingly with DeRo, JDG, Maicon.......I think his contract is only to the end of the season.....so if it doesn't work out he gets let loose.....I am hoping to see him a lot this saturday...

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I just want to know if you were in the locker room shower with him to see this out of shape body.........he looked more in shape than me.....so I am ok with it...

He took a corner right in front of me. Not 5 metres away.

He had a spare tire almost as big as mine. Except I work behind a desk. He doesn't. And there was little movement on this part. He may not have ever been fast, but he was lugging it around out there.

So yeah...I didn't get his BMI but my impression is that he could be in better shape.

Alarius
07-23-2010, 10:30 AM
From what I've seen he's got the intelligence on the field to create chances... I don't see him scoring them himself. I'm also concerned that he seems to be a bit of a hot-head, especially with the cranky refs we have here.

Oldtimer
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I can only hope once he gets to full fitness that he will work amazingly with DeRo, JDG, Maicon.......

... and those are the players on TFC who understand the passing game.

Finally, JDG will be able to pass into space and have someone understand what is happening instead of the ball going to the other team! We will see Julian's quality making a difference, finally.

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Other than one corner he took from the South West corner....all the dead ball he hit seemed fairly good and in great spots......I am looking forward to him more and more.....

DangerRed
And would you look at that...a soccer writer has given his first impressions as well. He can write a whole article on Mista's performance against Bolton but we shouldn't have any opinion whatsoever? :noidea:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/07/21/johnston_mista_debut/

Point out to me in the entire article anywhere where the writer passes any kind of judgment on Mista's play. There are no impressions of any kind.

sampace
Too early, is our winger that Mo is going to sign Robert from France again?

ArmenJBX
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Roogsy, I agree with you man, he wasn't running a whole lot. On the other hand, he was a substitute player at best for Deportivo, and when he played for Valencia I remember he wasn't very fast anyways. However, he's not Collin Samuel, he can get back in shape, and with Maicon in front of him, I think we have a very good strike force in the making.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Point out to me in the entire article anywhere where the writer passes any kind of judgment on Mista's play. There are no impressions of any kind.

Here we go again....who said anything about judgement? This is about impressions.

ArmenJBX
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Guys, cmon, no fighting :D

DangerRed
07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Guys, cmon, no fighting :D

Fine, fine.

@Roogsy: <3

There.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Ugh...harsh to say he looks out of shape?

Fuck...these are professional athletes. This would be harsh if it was a kid's league game.

The thread clearly states it is meant as a discussion for first impressions after his short start. If you don't have any impression yet, then please contribute when you do.

It's funny that the general sentiment so far is that it's "too early to tell" but that people have seen enough to start formulating an idea of what he can contribute. That's all this was asking for. Nobody is asking to evaluate him completely just on what he has shown us so far. It really isn't that difficult a question to answer.

I feel like we are arguing the same argument just on opposite sides of the spectrum (one positive, one negative).

im just saying that during his 45 mins he hustled and provided an assist on a beautiful goal, sure hes likely not to be match fit as he hasnt played in how long and is in a new country with a new team. Little led me to believe that he was in rotten shape. Also i dont know that we know his capabilities to get fit. If he had been retching on the side lines, hesitated to chase a ball or really slow out there id agree.

As for the johnson article, thats what his job calls for, the article itself talks little about his potential/play, and mentions alot about what held him up as well as the surrounding cast.

P-NUTZ
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
i think roog makes a fair point. it is still too early to judge the benefits mista will bring, but tfc does seem to be a rehab unit for many of the new players that are brought it.

OBW. Peterson. Gerba. for example. and Mista?

reclamation projects are common in sports, but i am a little concerned that many of these guys we bring in who are needed right away to upgrade weak starting positions arrive damaged or unfit. A gamble in Peterson is one thing - but the way Gerba showed up is simply unacceptable and makes us look desperate.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
since its first impressions, ignore all my other posts.
Based on first impressions if he can keep up with what we just had and even gett better, I think he will do decently, not amazing and definitely not terribly, i think itll be tough for him to get incredibly fit in little time but i think he will be fit enough to contribute regularly and positively.

jabbronies
07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I'll start judging him when he has a full squad around him - not scrubs. Also, I think at least 2 full games are needed to see what he can do.

It's gonna take at least a couple games for him to be able to read the MLS game and figure out how to expose it.

Carts
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
My biggest hope for Mista is that he & JDG bring out the best in each other...

Having played together before at a high level, I'm hoping they're on the same page right off the bat, and it improves the entire shape of our midfield going forward...

Playing with our subs and academy guys, he did well - as many have said, lets see him in a meaningfull match, with our top team...

I'm hopefull, I think he'll fit in nicely, and not only contribute but make other players around him better (as noted above)...

Thanks guys,
Carts...

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Mista's pedigree is impressive and I have no doubt he can have an impact. However, we said the same thing about JDG last year and it became obvious he needed time to acclamate. And JDG is a player who is younger and was game-fit when he arrived! I guess the question here is given Mista's apparent lack of fitness and his entry into the team halfway through the season, when can we realistically expect him to have an impact if at all this year?

I suppose later on in the year we will know for sure...I am just afraid instead of landing a "Henry" like the Red Bulls did, that will actually impact them immediately (and has) as they push into the playoffs, we've gone and taken a gamble on someone who will require weeks, maybe months (which we don't have) of observation to find out whether it was a good signing or not.

jaxul
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Mista's pedigree is impressive and I have no doubt he can have an impact. However, we said the same thing about JDG last year and it became obvious he needed time to acclamate. And JDG is a player who is younger and was game-fit when he arrived! I guess the question here is given Mista's apparent lack of fitness and his entry into the team halfway through the season, when can we realistically expect him to have an impact if at all this year?

I suppose later on in the year we will know for sure...I am just afraid instead of landing a "Henry" like the Red Bulls did, that will actually impact them immediately (and has) as they push into the playoffs, we've gone and taken a gamble on someone who will require weeks, maybe months (which we don't have) of observation to find out whether it was a good signing or not.

But one could argue, that a somewhat out of shape Mista can contribute more than an in shape Saric or OBW or (fill in any name who hasn't done much this season). I don't think this move can have any negative impact on TFC. At worse it will be status quo. To land a player that will have immediate significant impact you would have to throw a boat load of cash his way and so far MLSE have not really shown they are willing to go that far.

Technorgasm
07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
MISTA + SANTOS = the REAL DEAL

rocker
07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Mista didn't look out of shape when he sat 2 rows behind me a week or so ago. At the end we were standing there waiting to go up the aisle and I saw no gut poppin over his belt ;) not that I was checking him out or anything ;)

I thought he was rusty on his passing along the ground at times (gave away some balls that way). His corners, free kicks, and crosses were very good... prob as good as or better than Ronnie O and Amado.

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 11:08 AM

As far as I know JDG was fit...but not game fit because he was in bad with the management and didn't get the games he should have over at Deportivo....so I don't think he was in game form when he arrived at all.

With regards to Henry.....a bit can be said about his game shape as well....he is definitely on a different level than Mista, but he like JDG has been out of favour somewhat with Barca as well and didn't figure into tons of matches to an extent....he was not the first option as a striker at Barca now and with France......so his fitness level may not be up to snuff either...although I think his fitness will be easier had than Mista....

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
With regards to Henry.....a bit can be said about his game shape as well....he is definitely on a different level than Mista, but he like JDG has been out of favour somewhat with Barca as well and din't figure into tons of matches to an extent....he was not the first option as a striker at Barca now and with France......so his fitness level may not be up to snuff either...although I think his fitness will be easier had than Mista....

I could not disagree more.

Yes Henry wasn't getting a large amount of minutes, but having just come off the season in Spain where at least he was ready to come on even if he didn't, was training with the first team and then went to South Africa and kept himself ready should he be called on, I don't think MLS could ever bring a player over who was more prepared to play than Henry. Did he play the exact week before he started in NY? No...but I can't think of any significant signing in MLS that ever has. And if that is the parameters that we are using, then in fact we will never bring over players who are "game fit".

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I could not disagree more.

Yes Henry wasn't getting a large amount of minutes, but having just come off the season in Spain where at least he was ready to come on even if he didn't, was training with the first team and then went to South Africa and kept himself ready should he be called on, I don't think MLS could ever bring a player over who was more prepared to play than Henry. Did he play the exact week before he started in NY? No...but I can't think of any significant signing in MLS that ever has. And if that is the parameters that we are using, then in fact we will never bring over players who are "game fit".

Fair enough....just threw it out there.....and I guess his goal against Tottenham last night proves he is ready.......but I don't think you can argue that the assist Mista had on Maicon's goal was a fluke either.......not many players on our team have that kind of vision....especially since he has hardly trained with the team and does not know all the players likes and dislikes....it takes a player of good pedigree to have an impact right away.......but I know you are not doubting his pedigree......

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Mista's assist on Maicon's goal was pure skill and football smarts. Perfectly weighted ball for Santos to head it in. No complaints here.

I am just concerned whether his (in my opinion) lack of fitness will prohibit him from fully impacting league games (and Champions League) immediately.

Here's to hoping he's fit enough.

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I see him more of a one-two punch of front and really a set up man for Maicon.....he will be looking to set-up more than score....which i am ok with as long as he keeps making passes like that.

I am also going to be interested in his dead ball skills. He looks like a great passer and decent shot......I know he was first option when playing against Bolton simple because there was a bunch of kids playing....Will be interesting to see if he gets any chances when DeRo and all are out on the pitch....

mmmikey
07-23-2010, 11:32 AM
All the quick impressions about Mista, positive or negative and the hope of what can happen with Maicon underlines one thing to me. Outside of Dichio we are STARVED for quality striker play!!

It's already clear that Mista and Maicon offer a style of play we just haven't had for a while. They can do more than the hectic run straight at goal or chase long ball style that is so brutal to watch this year. Watching the cement brothers OBW and Barrett (one runs through it, other has it for feet) all year, Maicon and Mista look to be a pretty safe bet as a major upgrade.

I think a few posters has hit the nail on the head.. this is also about surrounding your best players (JDG & DeRo) with players capable of playing the style of game that will get the best out of them, JDG in particular.

I hope this will take the pressure off DeRo and he won't try to pull off miracles. Other teams have realized long ago that as long as you close down DeRo fast, u will frustrate him since he has so few quality outlets. Now you have players like Mista and Maicon who will move into space and allow for some decent combination play. Too often DeRo has no one else to look to for help, I'm excited to see those four playing together (still afraid Sanyang will continue to be the one man disruptor of all offensive play, ours as well).

As for Mista's fitness.. I'm not terribly surprised. Lots of injuries, now he comes midseason to MLS. Don't underestimate how damn humid Toronto is.. Some teams come over for Europe and get stifled by it during the summer. If we get a solid 70 a game out of him and bring on Barrett or an Ibby to run at ppl like chickens with their heads cut off for the last 20 I would be happy (relatively).

mmmikey
07-23-2010, 11:39 AM
and I guess his goal against Tottenham last night proves he is ready
The hype machine surrounding Henry is failing to mention they were playing a preseason Tottenham who started 4 fbs at the back.

walker-corluka-naughton-hutton

walker & naughton are a couple of kids who alternated out on loan last year and still need to develop, but look decent at RB with a more veteran back line.. hutton is a defensive liability and bound to be sold soon. Corluka is a good fill in at CB when injuries occur, but he is much better at RB. He is no lock down defender, but steady and reliable albeit somewhat slow. Spurs had a great defensive record for the most part last year especially at home but that was on a monster season by Dawson, a much improved Bassong and King who played way more than anticipated. Even Kaboul filled in decently at times.

Point is, Henry used his smarts to own some kids with his pace and jumping on poor defensive errors. I think he will torch a bunch of MLS defenders, but I don't think his performance last night was all that it's being made out to be. He definitely looks fit though. Still has a rocket up his ass.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Sounds painful. :D

rocker
07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
screw him.. we have our own Henry: DONNY-ELLE ON-REE!

Pachuco
07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Way too early for this. You won't even know the full extent of the impact he's capable of making after the Dallas game. Needs way more time.

What's noteworthy is that in the 45 min he did play, he set up a cherry goal for Santos against an EPL b-side. Not too shabby.

That may have been an EPL b-side, but the team Mista was playing with was an MLS C side.

On the to question of the thread. I was very impressed with both Mista and Maicon in this game. I'm freeking excited as hell to see them play together with Dero and Deguz on the pitch. I can honestly say I have NEVER been this excited about the potential for us to score goals. Of course this could all come crashing down, but fuck it, I'm excited.

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
That may have been an EPL b-side, but the team Mista was playing with was an MLS C side.

On the to question of the thread. I was very impressed with both Mista and Maicon in this game. I'm freeking excited as hell to see them play together with Dero and Deguz on the pitch. I can honestly say I have NEVER been this excited about the potential for us to score goals. Of course this could all come crashing down, but fuck it, I'm excited.

Regardless of who the opponent was....Maicon dribbled our of some narrow gaps and Mista held his own as well....we have never had any very technical strikers....so they are both welcome additions.

razor787
07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I heard Chivas pretty much chased Maicon out of town. From his play on the pitch so far though, he is a great MLS calibre striker. What went down with Chivas for him to be released?

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I heard Chivas pretty much chased Maicon out of town. From his play on the pitch so far though, he is a great MLS calibre striker. What went down with Chivas for him to be released?

That might be the question of the year.........i would like to see him score a bunch(as would all of you)...he seemed very genuine and happy when he scored against Bolton....like some sort of weight was lifted off his shoulders....maybe a long time coming for him.......maybe the spark he needed to get him going...

rocker
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
every coach has his type of player. We saw how Preki cleared out so much from last year's TFC roster. the new coach at Chivas probably just wants to go in a different direction.

Santos looks good out there, although he's only got 2 goals in 19 games in MLS. Perhaps he's the type to tempt a coach with his skill but fail to produce at an acceptable rate. Certainly Ali Gerba has pulled one over on many coaches over the years... but he keeps getting signed...

Yohan
07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
new coach Vasquez has been doing some major house cleaning... seems all Preki players are being given the boot

P-NUTZ
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
we are a better team WITH these guys than without.

That gives reason to optimism, or simply evidence to our desparity over the years.

I hope it produces wins, as they are always there for the taking in this league.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah lillingston is gone from chivas too, I think galindo's on his way out as well

Super
07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I am a bit concerned about Mista's shape and current condition as well, but I'm hoping that he'll be able to find it fairly quickly, and also I hope that his football IQ will make up for what he lacks in form. I hope we'll see some more of him against Dallas.

Derko
07-23-2010, 12:42 PM
we are a better team WITH these guys than without.

That gives reason to optimism, or simply evidence to our desparity over the years.

I hope it produces wins, as they are always there for the taking in this league.

I am also optimistic.

Roogsy
07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I think galindo's on his way out as well

WHA????

PICK HIM UP PRONTO!

anto7
07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
One thing that I did notice about Mista that I liked, was he was giving out lots of instructions to the players around him. I think his experience will help a lot of our guys.
There was a point during the first half where Peterson was stood inside the centre circle. Mista shouted at him to get out wide and he looked pretty annoyed that he was not out wide. At first it looked like Peterson totally ignored him then he eventually turned and appeared to begrudgingly move out wide. It was interesting to see Peterson's reaction, almost gave me the impression that he was thinking "who the fuck are you to tell me what to do".

boozilla
07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I remember Nick Garcia doing the same thing (giving instructions) when he first got here. Just saying.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-23-2010, 01:15 PM
WHA????

PICK HIM UP PRONTO!

injury prone but definitely worth a shot

Serb_Star
07-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I thought he was slow when he was with Atletico Madrid but hes even slower now. I think he'll do well, maybe won't score many goals but he'll contribute.

Ageroo
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I remember Nick Garcia doing the same thing (giving instructions) when he first got here. Just saying.

haha.......:D

mmmikey
07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
.. It was interesting to see Peterson's reaction, almost gave me the impression that he was thinking "who the fuck are you to tell me what to do".

or he just felt stupid for having been told. would like to think that was the case.

anto7
07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
That is true, difference being Mista has played in one of the top leagues in the world so he actually might know what he is talking about

anto7
07-23-2010, 04:04 PM
or he just felt stupid for having been told. would like to think that was the case.
Hopefully that is the case

James17930
07-23-2010, 08:26 PM
On a slightly different tack:

We have 15 league games left this season, plus however many CL games.

How many games do you think is reasonable for a player to take to get their match fitness and get used to the league? I mean, if Mista still isn't settled in ten games from now, should that be acceptable or will we all be calling for his head?

TFCREDNWHITE
07-24-2010, 05:54 PM
One thing that I did notice about Mista that I liked, was he was giving out lots of instructions to the players around him. I think his experience will help a lot of our guys.
There was a point during the first half where Peterson was stood inside the centre circle. Mista shouted at him to get out wide and he looked pretty annoyed that he was not out wide. At first it looked like Peterson totally ignored him then he eventually turned and appeared to begrudgingly move out wide. It was interesting to see Peterson's reaction, almost gave me the impression that he was thinking "who the fuck are you to tell me what to do".

Good to see! Im happy to see a man who has the knowledge and expertise of the game at the highest level(Valencia and Atletico Madrid) tell and show Peterson the proper postioning

DichioTFC
07-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm a fan of Mista. I can understand the calls about him being out of shape, it's probably natural for any athlete to be out of shape without the benefit of a training camp. Hopefully his fitness improves, but otherwise, I'm generally optimistic about the player. Hope we have some good returns from this J.Brennan signing
;)

Yohan
07-25-2010, 01:50 AM
is Mista pretending to be Diego Forlan? lol

prizby
07-25-2010, 02:09 AM
sorry roogsy, but his corner kick touch today was the best i've seen all season

koryo
07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Mista knows how to get himself into space. That sets him apart from most of the team right there. I'm looking forward to seeing more from him.

RicoSuave44
07-25-2010, 05:10 PM
he had some quality touches yesterday. also looking forward to seeing this guy play for us.... him and degu should link up quite nicely

Pachuco
07-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Either Roogsy jaded me, or he definately looked really slow yesterday. He doesn't necessarily look out of shape to me, he just looks like he's slow as heck. I like his set pieces though, that's one thing I'm looking forward to seeing more of.

DoubleUp
07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I would rather have him in the box during corners, rather than taking them.