PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Lindsay

Ossington Mental Youth
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
man oh man does that kid look good.
only 16, i hope he continues to progress

bigtfcfan
07-22-2010, 10:31 AM
yeah i noticed him too, definitely has a bright future.

sully
07-22-2010, 10:32 AM
man oh man does that kid look good.
only 16, i hope he continues to progress

really 16? Asif said on match-chat last night that he's 18-ish

Shway
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
The future is looking so bright, TFC is going to have a solid Defence, in the next few years look for a solid tandem between Nana and Henry

Azerban
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
was 17 in june

Four other Academy players were available off the bench, with 17-year-old Nicholas Lindsay seeing action in the second half.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Soccer+celebrates+Voyageurs+title+after+draw+with+ Whitecaps/3104529/story.html?id=3104529

he's the kid who had the hat trick against colo colo? goddamn, gotta keep tabs on this guy

reggie
07-22-2010, 11:03 AM
they should sign henry and lindsay now...
i was talking to jason bent last night and he said the lindsay is a better striker then winger,he also said that he is losing 4 guys soon going to school in the us.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-22-2010, 11:05 AM
ech fuck school, give your future to TFC!
curious matheson wasnt out there, wonder if hes off to school.
Hope Lindsay isnt one of em, he'd waste away in the NCAA

reggie
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
bend also mentioned that tfc will have first right to sign these players after they finish school.

Shaughno
07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah if Lindsay isn't signed before he hits NCAA... I'll be pissed off. The kid has a bright future for sure.

Stouffville_RPB
07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
bend also mentioned that tfc will have first right to sign these players after they finish school.

This is true but the time away from the team could hurt them. I'd prefer to keep them here where you can keep an eye on them an develop them the way that you like.

Unfortunately with the roster restrictions you can't do this for everyone. You have to be careful which ones you want to sign.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-22-2010, 11:32 AM
yep, that and the fact that we might have to leave them open to vancouver next year. i dont blame these kids for going to school to get an education, i do if they think itll help their footballing

rocker
07-22-2010, 11:52 AM
If I had a kid who was 15-17 with great talent, I'd tell them to forget about school and go pro (and I'm a university professor!). University will always be there later in life. And too many 18 year olds go to university and have no clue why they are there, so they get little out if except a piece of paper (older students with life experience are better students). And if you do university THEN get into pro soccer, you may stunt your growth as a pro player, AND your degree skills will have declined so you'll have to retrain anyways at some point. The NCAA option is good for teens who maybe aren't the greatest players, and who definitely need a backup option in life.

RANT OFF!

Pachuco
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
If I had a kid who was 15-17 with great talent, I'd tell them to forget about school and go pro (and I'm a university professor!). University will always be there later in life. And too many 18 year olds go to university and have no clue why they are there, so they get little out if except a piece of paper (older students with life experience are better students). And if you do university THEN get into pro soccer, you may stunt your growth as a pro player, AND your degree skills will have declined so you'll have to retrain anyways at some point. The NCAA option is good for teens who maybe aren't the greatest players, and who definitely need a backup option in life.

RANT OFF!

I would argue that rotting on a bench in the MLS or playing in the CSL would stunt your growth more then playing in the NCAA. If TFC signs Lindsey right now, all he'll do is sit on the bench. Unless you think he's MLS ready, which is crazy.

drexel10
07-22-2010, 12:32 PM

RANT OFF!

100% agreed for talented kids in any sport. This thinking was and is ignored in basketball because the schools don't get a chance to exploit the likes of Kobe Bryant. When he went straight to the NBA, I was a university student in Philly (where he is from) and I couldn't believe how many people were arguing against him skipping college. LOL!

tfc
07-22-2010, 12:35 PM
so basically, your recommending the reinstatement of a reserve league to facilitate the growth of these players. why the league got rid of it to begin with is beyond me.

Azerban
07-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I would argue that rotting on a bench in the MLS or playing in the CSL would stunt your growth more then playing in the NCAA. If TFC signs Lindsey right now, all he'll do is sit on the bench. Unless you think he's MLS ready, which is crazy.

no that is wrong

ncaa is a dumb setup, and getting to play a little more against vastly inferior opponents is not worth 4 years of a players career

to be honest, we should have a U-21 USL team, to go along with our U-18 CSL team

Pachuco
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
no that is wrong

ncaa is a dumb setup, and getting to play a little more against vastly inferior opponents is not worth 4 years of a players career

to be honest, we should have a U-21 USL team, to go along with our U-18 CSL team

But that's not the case is it? we don't have a U-21 USL team. Therefore, that player would come here and rott on the bench. MLS (as it stands today) would really stump a kid's growth who was brought in at 16 or 17 years of age and is knowhere near being MLS ready.

Pachuco
07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
100% agreed for talented kids in any sport. This thinking was and is ignored in basketball because the schools don't get a chance to exploit the likes of Kobe Bryant. When he went straight to the NBA, I was a university student in Philly (where he is from) and I couldn't believe how many people were arguing against him skipping college. LOL!

You are comparing a talent like Kobe Bryant to a talent like Nicholas Lindsey. Of course a great talent like Kobe or Lebron should skip college, especially considering they are NBA ready the day they step on the court.

But that's not the case here.

drexel10
07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
But that's not the case is it? we don't have a U-21 USL team. Therefore, that player would come here and rott on the bench. MLS (as it stands today) would really stump a kid's growth who was brought in at 16 or 17 years of age and is knowhere near being MLS ready.

Yes and having watched Ibby develop from 2008 until now would be your best argument.

Joe Kool
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I had to watch the highlight of Lindsay's fancy little move to get into a better position for a shot after O'Brian (swiss cheese) White missed the shot in front of the net. You don't see composure on the ball like that with alot of MLS guys. I am looking forward to seeing more of him for sure.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-22-2010, 01:15 PM
so basically, your recommending the reinstatement of a reserve league to facilitate the growth of these players. why the league got rid of it to begin with is beyond me.

got rid of it because of costs, are currently looking at bringing it back as it helps with the academies etc etc

Shway
07-22-2010, 01:46 PM
it will be back next year from my understading and IIRC.
They wanted to bring back the reserve league THIS season but couldnt find away to create a league that is efficient it two ways: cost v quality

Shway
07-22-2010, 01:48 PM
ech fuck school, give your future to TFC!
curious matheson wasnt out there, wonder if hes off to school.
Hope Lindsay isnt one of em, he'd waste away in the NCAA

it probally is Mattheson hes 18.
but it cant be any of the players that played
Lindsay is 17, Henry is 16 or 17

Azerban
07-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes and having watched Ibby develop from 2008 until now would be your best argument.

ibby is a good argument about not allowing clauses in a contract for a young player that give the selling team more shit if he plays a certain amount of games, nothing more

ncaa is shit, produces shit players that are years behind where they should be

adam1001
07-22-2010, 02:38 PM
it probally is Mattheson hes 18.
but it cant be any of the players that played
Lindsay is 17, Henry is 16 or 17

Lindsays my age (turning 18 in september). I played with him 2 years ago. So that means he's off to university, unless he's decided to stick around the gta and continue playing for the academy. He had knee surgery recently, im impressed with his recovery and development.

TFCRegina
07-22-2010, 05:11 PM
We need a reserve league and we need to start looking seriously at the CSL as a source of players. The quality isn't bad. TFC and MLS need to start looking at these lower leagues and be willing to pay small amounts of money for transfer fees. It's not going to break your back and in many cases will improve the quality of the leagues below you (and improve your own by increasing the amount of good players in the north american pool). Unfortunately, MLS thinks its ok to use the Shite NCAA model.

ag futbol
07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah it just sucks there's no way to get these guys to continue to develop short of sending them off to NCAA (which is a half solution at best, short-season, dumb rules, little depth in talent).

BUT we should be making some room for a few guys on the team. I guess if they want to go there's nothing stopping them, but I think it's crazy to run to the NCAA instead of taking the shot at going pro and getting better training on a day-to-day basis.

TFC07
07-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah it just sucks there's no way to get these guys to continue to develop short of sending them off to NCAA (which is a half solution at best, short-season, dumb rules, little depth in talent).

BUT we should be making some room for a few guys on the team. I guess if they want to go there's nothing stopping them, but I think it's crazy to run to the NCAA instead of taking the shot at going pro and getting better training on a day-to-day basis.

Also, these kids can still go to university in GTA while training/playing with TFC like how Gala did. It's win-win situation.

twistedchinaman
07-23-2010, 12:39 AM

RANT OFF!

That's depending on a whole lotta "what ifs" there, Rockster...

rocker
07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
That's depending on a whole lotta "what ifs" there, Rockster...

huh? explain...

so you think every kid should go to the NCAA no matter what? I disagree.

I explained the situation in which a kid should and *should not* attend the NCAA for soccer.

maninb
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
"The notion that every soccer kid should go to university is false, and I explained the situation in which a kid should and should not attend the NCAA for soccer."

Not that I think the NCAA produces quality players, but considering a young player perhaps has a 10-20% chance of making it this profession, it's tough to turn down a FREE quality education

Stouffville_RPB
07-23-2010, 08:39 AM
We need a reserve league and we need to start looking seriously at the CSL as a source of players. The quality isn't bad. TFC and MLS need to start looking at these lower leagues and be willing to pay small amounts of money for transfer fees. It's not going to break your back and in many cases will improve the quality of the leagues below you (and improve your own by increasing the amount of good players in the north american pool). Unfortunately, MLS thinks its ok to use the Shite NCAA model.

You couldn't be more right. Especially the way that the CSL has started to go with a new focus on development.

Transfer fees wouldn't be alot and with most of the teams being in the GTA there is no excuse to look at these guys.

I give TFC credit for how them use the CSL. They have given their academy a competitve place to test themselves and grow, loaned Kocic out to the Serbian White Eagles and have now trialed Brantford Galaxy players. That's called using your surroundings to your advantage.

rocker
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
"The notion that every soccer kid should go to university is false, and I explained the situation in which a kid should and should not attend the NCAA for soccer."

Not that I think the NCAA produces quality players, but considering a young player perhaps has a 10-20% chance of making it this profession, it's tough to turn down a FREE quality education

Sure, but that doesn't in any way conflict with my point, which is that NOT every kid should go to the NCAA automatically just because of a free education. Free education is overrated IF you can make money as a soccer player. Even an average MLS player could be potentially making 80-120K at some point during his twenties, while having 2 months off each year. Very few people with university educations earn that during their 20s.

I also question where you get the 10-20% chance number. If you're a kid in TFC's academy right now, I think you have a much better chance of making it in this profession. Doneil Henry, for example, to me, seems to have a much better chance of making it than 10-20%. He looks good now.

Now, if you're NOT on TFC's Academy, and you're some kid playing for a local side and can grab a scholarship to the NCAA, go for it. But TFC Academy kids already show potential. They need to be in a pro environment.

ag futbol
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you're projecting the picture NCAA wants you to believe happens, but doesn't usually. High percentages don't graduate, get their scholarships pulled, receive low quality (athlete preferential) schooling, and are put in pretty harsh situations.

But the NCAA wants you think of the image of a hard-working student-athlete who busts his ass to go to class everyday and plays sports after. That person (for the most part) does not exist.

If your a kid who has the opportunity to go pro immediately and are serious about a professional career, step up and take your chance. Playing a shortened season of soccer with bastardized rules against a shallow overall talent pool will not allow you to reach your full potential.

Macksam
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
it will be back next year from my understading and IIRC.
They wanted to bring back the reserve league THIS season but couldnt find away to create a league that is efficient it two ways: cost v quality
That's good. I'm hoping to see at least two guys getting signed from the academy for next season.

rocker
07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
If your a kid who has the opportunity to go pro immediately and are serious about a professional career, step up and take your chance. Playing a shortened season of soccer with bastardized rules against a shallow overall talent pool will not allow you to reach your full potential.

Yup! If my kid was as good as some of these academy boys at age 18, I'd tell him to go pro.

And this is coming from a person who spent 14 years in university and teaches at university. Trust me people. I've seen the insides of universities as a student and teacher, and it's NOT for everyone. I see too many disinterested students going to school just because mommy and daddy told them to. I actually wish more kids DIDN'T go to school right away, and instead did other things that connect with their passions (sport, art, music whatever). The best students are the ones who have lived life a bit and then choose to come back to school later knowing what they want in life.

If my kid was passionate about football, I'd say go for it! School will always be there (even if you have to take out loans later). But to waste your prime footy years in substandard training is a shame... you only have maybe 10 years of your sporting prime to make it. Don't waste it!

Whoop
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Yup! If my kid was as good as some of these academy boys at age 18, I'd tell him to go pro.

And this is coming from a person who spent 14 years in university and teaches at university. Trust me people. I've seen the insides of universities as a student and teacher, and it's NOT for everyone. I see too many disinterested students going to school just because mommy and daddy told them to. I actually wish more kids DIDN'T go to school right away, and instead did other things that connect with their passions (sport, art, music whatever). The best students are the ones who have lived life a bit and then choose to come back to school later knowing what they want in life.

If my kid was passionate about football, I'd say go for it! School will always be there (even if you have to take out loans later). But to waste your prime footy years in substandard training is a shame... you only have maybe 10 years of your sporting prime to make it. Don't waste it!

This.

It's not like universities will disappear if you decide to take year or two off to pursue your passion or do something else like work to make some money for school or travel.

felipe
07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I would argue that the very top NCAA programs are far superior to anything that TFC has to offer - and that would extend from facilities to coaching to infrastructure.

And a top program will play a lot of top level matches at the level the athlete is ready for.

Who would he play against for TFC? Where would his quality matches come from that he needs for his development?

I'd argue a year at school to try things out is a far better option than turning pro.

And thats without even thinking about the 'merits' of the actual education.

A frosh will get excellent quality matches playing against other top programs against 4th or 5th year seniors; no matter how good he is.

Shaughno
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Some of those are very valid points felipe, but ask Zach Herold the different between TFC's facilities and medical staff to that of the NCAA and combine... not even close.

TorCanSoc
07-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I agree with Rocker whole-heartedly, adding one caveat. Be reasonable about your assessment of your kid. Use hockey as an example. How many GTAA hockey players make it to the NHL every year? Answer... 1/2. One every two years from the GTAA make it to the pros.

So your kid must be the top kid in the league and the year ahead or behind him. Its a daunting stat, but the point is the kid has to be the top five of his entire league. Or else a pro career (in the big leagues or bush leagues) is probably not going to happen.

As far as soccer scholarships go, if you're not the top 5 in your league. I say take it, go for the experience of it. If it sux, you can always transfer to York and get an education. (Yorkies don't hate on me, I'm one of you)

This M.O. was done by none other than Mr. Andrea Lombardo. He paid his way to Europe, gave it a shot... failed. Came home TFC gave him a shot... failed. Now he's getting an education. Good on him.

Shaughno
07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
^^ Bang on son, bang on. College/Uni isn't going anywhere, if you have the opportunity, why pass it up?

ManUtd4ever
07-27-2010, 11:17 AM
A mind might be a terrible thing to waste but the opportunity to play professional football is even more terrible to waste...

razor787
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Look at the NCAA draft. The only good players come from the first round, and a chunk of the second round. The players picked up after that are guys that will sit on a bench, or will just be used as reserves. They show no potential at all.

Going into an academy, and getting pro training, without focusing on anything except sport, will get your ability up much faster. And you will know if it will or wont work out. Players like henry and lindsay will definately be signed, and should hop aboard TFC ASAP. If someone can see that they probally wont be signed, despite their prescence in the academy, then its time to look at the NCAA.

Yohan
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Look at the NCAA draft. The only good players come from the first round, and a chunk of the second round. The players picked up after that are guys that will sit on a bench, or will just be used as reserves. They show no potential at all.

you sure about that? enough 3rd and 4th rounders make it on MLS level. though I think MLS scouting kinda sucks, compared to other pro leagues in NA. also, sometimes late round picks are those players probably want to go to Europe instead of MLS, thus not necessarily mean they suck

since I'm bored, list of MLS regulars from 2000 to 2009 late round picks.
Jon Conway
Nick Rimando
Kerry Zavagnin (now retired)
John Wolyniec

Edson Buddle
Jim Curtin
Craig Waibel
Cory Gibbs

Alejandro Moreno
Davy Arnaud

Roger Levesque
Logan Pause
Jack Jewsbury
Josh Saunders

Michael Bradley
Alan Gordon
Andy Dorman
Jeff Parke

Chris Rolfe
Gonzalo Segares
Thabiso Khumalo
Quavas Kirk

Ryan Johnson
Ray Burse
Jonathan Bornstein
Mike Chabala

Omar Cummings
Sinisa Upiparapovic
Mike Banner
Nick LaBrocca
Kurt Morsink
Bobby Burling
Adam Cristman

Luke Sassano
Geoff Cameron
Brandon McDonald
Steven Lenhart
Stephen King

Quincy Amarikwa
Darrius Barnes
Nick Zimmermann
Danny Cruz
Brandon Barklage
Michael Holody

Red CB Toronto
07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
You really can not compare the NCAA as source of talent for say the NFL, NBA to the MLS. The NCAA is complimentary source of talent for the MLS where for the NFL and NBA it is the primary source of players for them.

Yohan
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
You really can not compare the NCAA as source of talent for say the NFL, NBA to the MLS. The NCAA is complimentary source of talent for the MLS where for the NFL and NBA it is the primary source of players for them.
you sure about that? last i checked, MLS superdraft is the primary source of young players for MLS

Ossington Mental Youth
10-16-2010, 05:52 PM
A.FUCKING.BEAST.
kid continues like this, only gonna get better

torontocelt
10-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I was impressed with him also, he was getting in a lot of good crosses, I didn't really see him muck any up at all. For what it is worth when I was at the town hall on monday Paul Beirne was saying that he would like TFC kids ot forget about uni and basically go pro, he says it is the only way for them to truely progress at the same rate as those in other countries. I don't know the ins and outs of the process in Canada as I was not educated here but is there anything to stop a kid like this going pro and putting uni on the back burner if he likes?

sulfur
10-16-2010, 06:25 PM
He can put things on the backburner and do things later, but as we all know, whenever you do something "later", it gets harder and harder to do every year.

Macksam
10-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I wanted to comment on this way back when but was side tracked. Anyhow, saying he's not MLS ready is just saying it for the sake of saying it and nothing more. This is the MLS, it won't take much for someone to be "MLS ready" and he clearly showed he was more than ready today. Hell, if Josh Mceachran can be premiership ready for Chelsea at 17, Lindsay can be MLS ready for TFC.

He has a starting spot for next year in my books. He is the first true winger we have ever had, and will be a key ingredient to taking us to the playoffs next season.

DichioTFC
10-16-2010, 11:37 PM
I wanted to comment on this way back when but was side tracked. Anyhow, saying he's not MLS ready is just saying it for the sake of saying it and nothing more. This is the MLS, it won't take much for someone to be "MLS ready" and he clearly showed he was more than ready today. Hell, if Josh Mceachran can be premiership ready for Chelsea at 17, Lindsay can be MLS ready for TFC.

He has a starting spot for next year in my books. He is the first true winger we have ever had, and will be a key ingredient to taking us to the playoffs next season.

Completely agree with everything. I was going to post on here about Lindsay being a starter next year. It'll give him the greatest opportunity possible to grow and develop. He already appears very confident on the ball and he's very energetic reaching loose balls.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah if Lindsay isn't signed before he hits NCAA... I'll be pissed off. The kid has a bright future for sure.

How did this thread take this weird NCAA turn? TFC signed Lindsay on the day before the roster freeze day. He's an academy graduate yes, but he's a roster player.

Macksam
10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Completely agree with everything. I was going to post on here about Lindsay being a starter next year. It'll give him the greatest opportunity possible to grow and develop. He already appears very confident on the ball and he's very energetic reaching loose balls.

He has barely played in the MLS, but he already seems like one of the most skilled players in the league.

dantdot
10-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Threads 3 months old FYI.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-16-2010, 11:50 PM
^ Well that makes more sense then.

Red CB Toronto
10-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Jason DeVos said on the broadcast he was very impressed with Nicholas's play against the Crew.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-16-2010, 11:58 PM
It was very strong, I'm looking forward to watching him play on Tuesday.

reggie
10-17-2010, 12:13 AM
im pissed they took him off..he had moffet for lunch today..
daso must have a hard on for peterson..

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2010, 01:46 AM

Yep, beauty of a thing, ill be heartbroken if hes not first string, obviously still has alot to learn but christ almighty if he didnt prove himself today. Im fighting the urge to get a Lindsey jersey this soon.

im pissed they took him off..he had moffet for lunch today..
daso must have a hard on for peterson..

I was furious but im hoping its because they were banging him about? I hope so cuz Peterson regardless of the goal today deserves to be cut or needs to take half of his pay to stick around