PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs Bolton - postgame thread

Nodoubtguy
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
So what did everyone think of the game?

How is it that essentially our reserves look decent against an EPL team and out first team looks pretty bad against one of the worst MLS teams (The Union)?

also, Mista to Maicon.....wow, I'm excited for this

Oldtimer
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Kocic was quite good, I actually rate him better than Conrad (who is a decent-average MLS GK).

Henry stood out amongst the academy kids. When is he going to be signed to the first team? This is now 2 games where he's looked quite good.

Mista's pass into the box was perfectly placed. It's difficult to do that accurately, too close to the GK and he grabs it, too far and Santos can't head it in.

Santos' finish was excellent, though, and you still wouldn't have gotten that goal without that.

The team looked good playing a good number of reserves/call-ups/academy kids against an admittedly off-season Bolton. There is certainly some hope for the future.

deltox
07-22-2010, 08:17 AM
the game itself wasnt that great. im glad the kids got to gain experience and i was surprised that bolton didnt play better..... but the preseason is about fitness.

Nuvinho
07-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Bas Ent

Best name!

anto7
07-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Bas Ent

Best name!
Great name !
I thought he looked pretty decent too. Thought the Serbian centre back played quite well too. Considering our line up I thought we played well and it was a great experience for the kids. Henry was up against one of the toughest centre forwards in the EPL in Davies(not the best forward just a bastard to play against) and came out of it with a lot of credit.

lips
07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Although the game was not great it was nice to see the young team hold there own.

Ageroo
07-22-2010, 08:39 AM
I was happy that Preki got to explore some new things with players out there.... Henry looks like he will be a beast down the road....As well I thought Lindsay was pretty decent on the attack. He has got some nice moves and a lot of pace.

mastermixer
07-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Bas Ent looked really good on the wing. Something I haven't seen on this team in a long time.

koryo
07-22-2010, 08:42 AM
The game was dreary until the kids came on in the second half. They fought to win the ball, they fought through tackles, they used a bit of width... there's one or two academy kids who should go straight into the side as far as I'm concerned.

Mista & Santos continue to hint at their promise.

bertal
07-22-2010, 08:43 AM
the game itself wasnt that great. im glad the kids got to gain experience and i was surprised that bolton didnt play better..... but the preseason is about fitness.

exactly! bwfc were more worried about getting back to fitness. and lastly the reserves need to man up

redcard
07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
I am absolutely disgusted that not one of the our "stars" were not in the line up...how much was the ticket price for this match...absolutely unexceptable...the FO should not force STHs to buy these tickets if they have no intention of playing our first team against a EPL side....

and why was the shoot out on the other end?!!!

ManUtd4ever
07-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I am absolutely disgusted that not one of the our "stars" were not in the line up...how much was the ticket price for this match...absolutely unexceptable...the FO should not force STHs to buy these tickets if they have no intention of playing our first team against a EPL side....

Normally I would agree with you but you have to recognize that TFC is at a critical juncture of the schedule and clinging to a playoff spot after the embarassing loss in Philadelphia. The matches on Saturday and Tuesday against Dallas and Motagua are far more important than a mid season friendly against a mid table EPL side. If one of DeRO, JDG, Attakora, or Frei played and got injured yesterday everyone would be demanding Preki's head on a platter...

trane
07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

I am glad they were not. It is a mid-season meaningless friendly, they have realy games to play. No way they should have started, and it gave the manager to look at up an comming players, and bench players to get some important playing time. Any reasonable managmern team would have done the same. [ well a reasonable management team would not have mid seasons friendlies, but this is the second best solution]

Oldtimer
07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

People are paying to see the EPL side and their appearance fee. TFC is only there to provide a game.

The Professor
07-22-2010, 09:32 AM
People are paying to see the EPL side and their appearance fee. TFC is only there to provide a game.

Those are precisely the points to discuss.

Anyone who paid face value for last night's match got sucker-punched by TFC who stretched the term "fielding a team" to it its absolute limit.

I understand Preki's decision to rest players considering the schedule, but last night did absolutely nothing to showcase either the MLS or EPL. So what's the point in hosting shit-shows like these?

Hopefully last night was the final nail in the coffin that is the Carlsberg Cup.

trane
07-22-2010, 09:38 AM
^ Agreed. Last night did not serve the prupose that it was supposed to serve, therefore, the mid season friendly should be forgoten for TFC. They do not gain much by it, unless they bring in a real big club. Then it helps their image and brand, I would be againstit anyway. Points are more imporant in the midle of the season.

Parkdale
07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
the one problem with the whole 'mid season friendly' thing is this:
some people actually like them and are happy to have them with their tickets.

WE understand that's it's a waste of energy, a rick of injury and generally a lazy game,
but there's enough people in the stands who don't see those details. Also, if TFC stopped
doing these friendlies, you would figure that they would lower the ticket price right?
We all know that will never happen, and they've shaved off as many 'perks' as possible.
I just don't see the friendlies going away for the same reason the beer garden will never go - some people like it.

ilikemusic
07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
For as much as people hate McCown for trashing soccer, he ripped Anselmi to his face last night when talking about this game.

Anselmi mentioned that the team had called up some of the youth players and such to fill out the roster and give them a taste of 'big time' action, to which Bob said "so you plan to adjust the pricing accordingly, right?"

Anselmi's response was sheepish laughter and a bunch of bullshit about how dedicated (read - 'easily suckered') the fans are and that they like the friendlies.

And I dont think it is a coincidence that the 2nd half swoon TFC is so good at tends to arrive right around the time we play our friendlies.

JonO
07-22-2010, 10:08 AM
^ actually it's just one friendly, so at least it's a little better ;)

Parky - judging by the crowds I saw from the highlights, most people don't give a crap about this game. Time to drop the friendly - if that's even possible...

nobodybeatsthewiz
07-22-2010, 10:11 AM
mista and santos were good........and petrov (MOTM in my opinion) and taylor were good, other than that the caliber left more than a bit to be desired.

TFC115
07-22-2010, 10:12 AM

We were fucken furious in 115 about that.... we have been here since day one and they can't put the shootout infront of are fucken net?

bgnewf
07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
We were fucken furious in 115 about that.... we have been here since day one and they can't put the shootout infront of are fucken net?

113 was pretty vexed about it as well.

Darlofletch
07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
A reasonably entertaining game at times, no-one got injured, and some of our acadmey kids look good.

35 and 39 in defence, or new cannana as I called them, looked really solid, and I really liked that little scrappy kid who played in midfield the first half (37? yes I am too lazy to look up their actual names) Who was that andjelkadjic? (sp again, I'm just that lazy) he loked too old to be an academy player, was he a trialist? is this the mystery winger Mo's talking about?

All in all though, I'd rather the game wasn't played at all, though i was very happy to see Robbie Blake come on for Bolton, I gave him a standing ovation which confused the crap out of everyone around me.

another penalty shootout loss, not really surprising, I hope we don't ever get into one that actually matters.

jaxul
07-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Well this was a game between a side who obviously does not want any preseason injuries and another who does not want any mid-season injuries before a push for the playoffs. People should not even expect regular MLS calibre play from these games. Good opportunity to get Mista as close as possible to game shape and some minutes for the kids, that's about it. Bring on Dallas!

Darlofletch
there's a coin toss to choose ends for the shootout no?. I'm guessing bolton won and chose the north end. as a resident of 227, it worked out nicely for me, i was very amused by the loud boos form the south side.

Derko
Those are precisely the points to discuss.

Anyone who paid face value for last night's match got sucker-punched by TFC who stretched the term "fielding a team" to it its absolute limit.

I understand Preki's decision to rest players considering the schedule, but last night did absolutely nothing to showcase either the MLS or EPL. So what's the point in hosting shit-shows like these?

Hopefully last night was the final nail in the coffin that is the Carlsberg Cup.

I guess one might call it entertainment, much like the Man U Celtic game, which was a practice for both teams yet people paid through the nose for that game.

jaxul
07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I guess one might call it entertainment, much like the Man U Celtic game, which was a practice for both teams yet people paid through the nose for that game.

Aren't all friendlies practices? :)

Although Celtic - Man U was FAR more entertaining than Bolton-TFC.

FootieChick
07-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I thought the game was good! Much more entertaining then the ties we've been experiencing in more 'important' games. I enjoyed watching the acadamy 'kids' play> It gave us a taste of what's coming in TFC's future. I was impressed with their ability to pass and handle the ball as well as they did. It got them practice out in front of fans and supporters which can be quite intimidating.

I disagree... good game... great passes, I was pleased. But not with the kicks. They should have had another 30 minutes of play THEN have penalty kicks... IN THE SOUTH END!

bgnewf
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I understand the angst from some surrounding the friendlies (potential injury, tired players, meaningless game, cash grab, level of play... take your pick) but one needs to remember that we are already all within the church so to speak. We are already converted connected TFC fans that understand that it is about league and cup games first and foremost and that these friendlies just get in the way.

But TFC, and the league for that matter, still feels the need to evangelize so to speak. Bringing in a Bolton, a Real Madrid or a Pachuca to town is for the more casual fans enjoyment and not necessarily ours.

These games are not going to go away any time soon.

phonzo
07-22-2010, 10:45 AM
exactly it attracts a different fan / audience and I like to look at it as a way of promoting the sport in North America (not the greatest promotion but a promotion none the less)

drexel10
07-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I thought that last night was a great exhibition on TFC's part to showcase how far our talent pool has improved in 4 years! Some of the younger players last night looked better than half of our 2007 team. I like the way things are developing and it was good to see some good trialist and signings last night. This league has improved quite a bit in the last 5 years, so I think it was great to see.

redcard
07-22-2010, 10:56 AM
if the FO wants to keep these carlsburg cup friendlies, let them, but my point is dont force me to buy it...i would much rather put my money in the CCL up front and not a match full of trialists/academy players...

it doesnt showcase our team against an EPL side...does not promote our team...if anything the casual fan that happened to show up, would think that we have crap players...no names... and no one knew about the pk's at the end either!

for the price point it is utterly ridiculous...btw i did let my account manager know...but will it have an effect - highly doublt it.

ilikemusic
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
exactly it attracts a different fan / audience and I like to look at it as a way of promoting the sport in North America (not the greatest promotion but a promotion none the less)

But isnt that 'different fan' just the same people who have always followed football but choose not to follow MLS/TFC?

That 'different fan' is the same person who has always existed as a football consumer, but has long since decided that MLS isnt for them.

Not to get snarky, but the new people these matches would attract would seem to me to be the stereotypical football snob who thinks watching Toronto play Dallas or Chicago is somehow beneath them; But watching Toronto play a Premiership club, or a La Liga club is legit for some reason.

trane
07-22-2010, 11:36 AM
This is the rub for me, if you are going to play friendlies, then a responsible manager will play players then need game time, and would sit the game proven starters. I think a game like this is a great opportunity for just this purpose. However, most people who would be excited about a mid season friendly,will complain because they will not get their bang for the buck.

By the way one starter that SHOULD play in the frienly is Garcia, for the same reasons the others should not, he could get injured.

phonzo
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
But isnt that 'different fan' just the same people who have always followed football but choose not to follow MLS/TFC?

That 'different fan' is the same person who has always existed as a football consumer, but has long since decided that MLS isnt for them.

Not to get snarky, but the new people these matches would attract would seem to me to be the stereotypical football snob who thinks watching Toronto play Dallas or Chicago is somehow beneath them; But watching Toronto play a Premiership club, or a La Liga club is legit for some reason.

touche you are correct..but maybe a convert or two ;)

STB
07-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Bolton win a trophy! Wanderers lift Carlsberg Cup after pre-season shoot-out win against Toronto

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1296754/Bolton-win-trophy-Wanderers-lift-Carlsberg-Cup-Toronto.html#ixzz0uQta4VJN

Some good picks from the daily mail but almost no text

ilikemusic
07-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Bolton win a trophy! Wanderers lift Carlsberg Cup after pre-season shoot-out win against Toronto

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1296754/Bolton-win-trophy-Wanderers-lift-Carlsberg-Cup-Toronto.html#ixzz0uQta4VJN

Some good picks from the daily mail but almost no text

I love the cynical British press. :lol:

Darlofletch
07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
a few weeks back, I'd had a conversation with someone who was concerned that bolton would try and kick our players about.

I scoffed, after all it's a friendly, their players are more valuable than ours, they've got a less aggresive new manager, and the talk about bolton being a rough team was just soft southern media hype after they didn't roll over and let arsenal play how they wanted, the brutes!

Turns out I was wrong, there was quite a few rough tackles out there. Bolton ARE thugs.

Ageroo
07-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Turns out I was wrong, there was quite a few rough tackles out there. Bolton ARE thugs.

Regardless if they are brutes or used to playing that way...you are right...there were quite a few harsh fouls during the match....and if this was not a friendly there would have been a lot more bookings.

nobodybeatsthewiz
07-22-2010, 12:38 PM

but almost all were ball first/cleaner than they looked. its bolton, as said, theyre a pub rugby team, what did people expect? tackles were very hard, very, but much more than not they got ball.

TFC USA
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
So....we still suck at penalty kicks?

Hooligan69
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Last night, I watched the game online via TFC's official website, and I must admit that the commentary was damn near coma-inducing.

rocker
07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
why should the south end always get the penalty kicks? It was nice for a change to have the kicks up near my seats in the north end!

anto7
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I have been in section 105 since day 1, am I any different to you?. Why do you think you should be rewarded any differently?

anto7
07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
the one problem with the whole 'mid season friendly' thing is this:
some people actually like them and are happy to have them with their tickets.

WE understand that's it's a waste of energy, a rick of injury and generally a lazy game,
but there's enough people in the stands who don't see those details. Also, if TFC stopped
doing these friendlies, you would figure that they would lower the ticket price right?
We all know that will never happen, and they've shaved off as many 'perks' as possible.
I just don't see the friendlies going away for the same reason the beer garden will never go - some people like it.
There are some people(like myself), who actually enjoy the games since I can relax, not worry about giving up points to a last minute goal, get to see guys who I only normally get to see on TV and get to see some kids be given a chance of a lifetime to play against the big guys. If we dont start our regulars(like last night) then there is no risk of injury and it also gives a chance to get some much needed minutes to the new players or trialists. For me, last night, the benefits outweighed the negatives. Just my view though.

Brooker
07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I have been in section 105 since day 1, am I any different to you?. Why do you think you should be rewarded any differently?

+1!!

Oldtimer
07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
By the way one starter that SHOULD play in the frienly is Garcia, for the same reasons the others should not, he could get injured.

:rofl:

Keystone FC
07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
So....we still suck at penalty kicks?
We are England!
We are England!
We are England in disguise
We are England in disguise.

Hooligan69
07-22-2010, 01:43 PM
We are England!
We are England!
We are England in disguise
We are England in disguise.

Or maybe Ghana?

Keystone FC
07-22-2010, 01:46 PM
For those on the Bas Ent fanwagon here is a bit of info from the club he currently plays for...which happens to be down the road from me:
http://www.dutchlionsfc.com/cms/index.php/dayton-dutch-lions-fc/roster/128-profile-player-template

The 22-year old, right legged, Ent is known for his speed, individual action and good cross. "These are the specialties I can add to the team and surprise our American opponents with. I played eight years for FC Volendam, so my tactical ability is well developed as well," says Bas Ent.

Keystone FC
07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Or maybe Ghana?
LOL! True, very true.:D

CoachGT
07-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I was disappointed at the game myself. I found the level of play to be questionable at best, with the exception of 30 seconds of brilliance when Petersen/Mista/Santos connected. Otherwise, had I sat back and thought about who might be playing for TFC I would have given the tickets away.

For something that is mandated in my season ticket package at a premium price when compared with every other game it was disappointing. Perhaps they should be outside of the SSH package so that those that are interested can go.

If I want to see reserve/academy players, I can do so at a far lower price than they charged for this.

Roogsy
07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Awful football. I wouldn't pay to see that if I had a choice. The problem is I don't have a choice. MLSE have their hands in my pocket on this one. They are taking money from me I don't want to give them. The problem is in order to not have to pay for this lame game I have to give up my seasons tickets.

In terms of customer satisfaction, it's about as poor as it gets. There is a problem here with perception of value. The team seems to believe the ticket value for this game to be much higher than it actually is.

ManUtd4ever
07-22-2010, 02:52 PM
It could have been worse, like the game against Independiente when Edu was the only name on the roster I recognized...:D

Joe Kool
07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I was disappointed at the game myself. I found the level of play to be questionable at best, with the exception of 30 seconds of brilliance when Petersen/Mista/Santos connected. Otherwise, had I sat back and thought about who might be playing for TFC I would have given the tickets away.

For something that is mandated in my season ticket package at a premium price when compared with every other game it was disappointing. Perhaps they should be outside of the SSH package so that those that are interested can go.

If I want to see reserve/academy players, I can do so at a far lower price than they charged for this.

That was always my issue. I like the idea of the game being played and don't mind that they brought in some newer guys for some minutes to hopefully help the first team rest which will help them pull off a couple wins in the next two matches but if you are not going to be playing the first team then the premium price has to go. I don't even mind paying regular price as part of the SSH package but the premium price is what gets me. Many people I talked to or overheard last night at the game thought the same.

Stugatzo
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down about the "value" or lack thereof with this game!
Give it two more years and three more teams in MLS (Van, Port, Mont) and there will be no mid-season friendlies. The schedule won't allow for it.
They are likely included as a way to pad home games for SSHs.
IMO, the only summer friendlies we should be seeing in Toronto are ones like the Man U/Celtic or other European teams trying to make some bucks and get some practice in. Either that or Bolton can come back and play USL teams only.
Preki was 100 per cent right to NOT risk any of our starters and to give the new guys and the academy kids a chance to play a "top-flight" team (playing like a League 1 side, frankly).
Two more words...Bas Ent!

nascarguy
07-22-2010, 03:46 PM
bolton sucks ass

P-NUTZ
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
overpriced. plain and simple.
should be optional.
that would force the jerkoffs at MLSE to bring in a better club.

Oldtimer
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
League game = revenue sharing with MLS
Exhibition = club keeps 100%

trane
07-22-2010, 04:01 PM
^ That must mean that they get to keep a portion of the season tickets all to themselves. MLSE now about money, not so much about footy.

T0R0NT0 FC
07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I agree, it would be great if the friendly wasn't included with the season tickets. But as for the actual game yesterday, mosly reserves or not, the game itself was actually better and more entertaining than most of the MLS matches I've been to all season.

Jeffro
07-22-2010, 04:08 PM

You take the kicks towards the home supporters end. If there was a coin toss or something, fine.

Jeffro
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down about the "value" or lack thereof with this game!
Give it two more years and three more teams in MLS (Van, Port, Mont) and there will be no mid-season friendlies. The schedule won't allow for it.
They are likely included as a way to pad home games for SSHs.
IMO, the only summer friendlies we should be seeing in Toronto are ones like the Man U/Celtic or other European teams trying to make some bucks and get some practice in. Either that or Bolton can come back and play USL teams only.
Preki was 100 per cent right to NOT risk any of our starters and to give the new guys and the academy kids a chance to play a "top-flight" team (playing like a League 1 side, frankly).
Two more words...Bas Ent!

We have every right to be upset about the value. If you are okay with paying double what you pay for a league game to watch a kickabout, that's fine. I'm being forced to pay a premium for a ticket I couldn't even give away and I'm going to let my displeasure be heard.

nfitz
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
That means that they simply mark-up the price on the friendly tickets so that they can more, and MLS gets less.

As most people are seasons ticket holders, then it has no impact on them, as the seasons would likely cost almost as much without the one game. So they wouldn't complain ... not that it seems to stop a few.

And anyone who buys a ticket for the game, knows what they are getting into (or at least should).

So, it's only the partial-pack holders, who got 5 games + this one, compared to 6 real games in the other partial pack who are screwed. Oh ... that's me ... and hang-on, I know what I was getting into too ... it was either this partial, or Marlies tickets ...

Don't see the need for all the whinging ...

Davenport
07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
overpriced. plain and simple.
should be optional.
that would force the jerkoffs at MLSE to bring in a better club.

I have just paid $84 for 2 tickets to watch a Premier Division game in August. That's face value.
MLSE have no respect for their supporters.
They consider them ATMs not customers.

ag futbol
07-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok, i didn't catch this one, is it worth a watch on Gol TV today when it comes up on replay?

brad
07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
You take the kicks towards the home supporters end. If there was a coin toss or something, fine.

Either a coin toss, or they decided they decided that the shoot out for the Carlsberg Cup should be in front of the Carlsberg beer garden.

nfitz
07-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Ok, i didn't catch this one, is it worth a watch on Gol TV today when it comes up on replay?Certainly the extra-time of the first half is worth watching. And the very end of the match (not sure how many spoilers to avoid here). It was interesting to watch some of the trialists, and Mista.

Though the highlight may have been the poutine, and such a beautiful night!

scooter
07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
There are some people(like myself), who actually enjoy the games since I can relax, not worry about giving up points to a last minute goal, get to see guys who I only normally get to see on TV and get to see some kids be given a chance of a lifetime to play against the big guys. If we dont start our regulars(like last night) then there is no risk of injury and it also gives a chance to get some much needed minutes to the new players or trialists. For me, last night, the benefits outweighed the negatives. Just my view though.

no i agree 100%

it was great to see the future out there gives hope for the cmnt too

super to see our new signings shine

for all the carsberg cup bashers out there you got your way you should be delireliously happy none of our good players even got on the pitch so no chance of injury and threat to our mls season

i know i am

but of course this is a chance to moan and groan so carry on dont let me spoil your fun

:hump:

scooter
07-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Awful football. I wouldn't pay to see that if I had a choice. The problem is I don't have a choice. MLSE have their hands in my pocket on this one. They are taking money from me I don't want to give them. The problem is in order to not have to pay for this lame game I have to give up my seasons tickets.

In terms of customer satisfaction, it's about as poor as it gets. There is a problem here with perception of value. The team seems to believe the ticket value for this game to be much higher than it actually is.

sure its just this game roogs

LesH
07-22-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm fukin hatin' seeing a beer garden in a real football stadium... something like this can only happen in in US and Canada. In other places of the world that would be unimaginable, because there people watch 100% connected and concentrated all the minutes the game.

menefreghista
07-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I would love it if TFC FO removed the friendly ticket from my season ticket package and just let me decide on my own if I want to attend any friendlies.

But I can't see it happening. TFC FO loves the fact that they already have 16,000 seats sold to this game before it ever occurs.

TFC FO is learning the hard way through the Motagua game just how hard it is to sell tickets for this team these days.

The honeymoon is definitely over and MLSE aren't the geniuses some people want you to believe. They were more lucky than smart.

mclaren
07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
That was the most entertaining friendly I've seen at BMO, surprisingly so. Also surprised how big the crowd was - was expecting it to be tiny.

Serb_Star
07-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Kocic was great, should be our backup IMO.

bgnewf
07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/07/toronto-fc-v-bolton-video-from-the-south-stands/

Some video from the game is here. I need to remember to never heckle the officials with a megaphone when on the Capo stand. For some reason it is frowned upon.

ochos
07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
The game WAS more entertaining than the typical game this season. Players wanting to show their stuff, and seemingly as much talent as some of our first team..

It's a double-edged sword because it was a great chance to experiment with academy/new players, but as mentioned above it makes it hard to sell tickets to the 'real' important game coming up against Motagua.

I thought this was the most useful friendly we've had since Villa, but the ramifications of it are clear to see. Angry SSH's who don't want to pay premium prices, an F/O focused on sucking their faithful fan-base of every penny (while bringing in arguably a terrible footballing club), and an outcome that will further the disenchantment between fairweather fans and the club.

The honeymoon is officially over, and is now being beaten beside a dead horse.

nascarguy
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
^ That must mean that they get to keep a portion of the season tickets all to themselves. MLSE now about money, not so much about footy.
this year season ticket were 360$ with tax and I only paid for 20% Next season I haft to pay 100% for my season ticket so I do not think I will have the money. But if the team preform I will find the money but if not I all ready fround a csl teams to replace them. I will try to get haft seaon ticket & will make sure to get tickets for the canadian cup

boban
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
The game WAS more entertaining than the typical game this season. Players wanting to show their stuff, and seemingly as much talent as some of our first team..

It's a double-edged sword because it was a great chance to experiment with academy/new players, but as mentioned above it makes it hard to sell tickets to the 'real' important game coming up against Motagua.

I thought this was the most useful friendly we've had since Villa, but the ramifications of it are clear to see. Angry SSH's who don't want to pay premium prices, an F/O focused on sucking their faithful fan-base of every penny (while bringing in arguably a terrible footballing club), and an outcome that will further the disenchantment between fairweather fans and the club.

The honeymoon is officially over, and is now being beaten beside a dead horse.
You said alot of good things here.
I for one like the friendly concept but bringing in half ass teams is an insult to everyone involved.
Of course players don't want to play against lousy euro teams with no big players on the roster. And if there is one, he will most certainly sit. However, if bigger clubs are brought in it creates more excitemnt for the fans and players want to play against them t oprove they can play with them. A perfect case of this is REAL Madrid last year and Bolton this year.
But when we have a big club come over our FO and ownership manage to royally screw it up and have the supporters and fans take it in the ass with absurd price points. Spurs played SJ in a 10,000 seater and tickets were in the $50 range FFS!!! There is no way in hell RM tickets should have been over $100 or so, and most at 50-80 range. MLSE are nothing but money grabbing bitches.
/end of rant

greatwhitenorf
07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm fukin hatin' seeing a beer garden in a real football stadium... something like this can only happen in in US and Canada. In other places of the world that would be unimaginable, because there people watch 100% connected and concentrated all the minutes the game.

Down, Rex.

Since you're watching a game in this place, you should long be aware that it's something that's part and parcel of most sports events, indoor or outdoor.

Why would someone else's largely obscured location to have a beer and watch the game from have the slightest effect on you when you're '100% connected and concentrated' on the game?

And on a simply sumptuous summer evening, during a game that really can't be taken all that seriously, it's a lovely place to hang out.

scooterTFC
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
The way I see it the FO did us a favour by putting a higher face value on the tickets for this game vs premium pricing more league games. Since almost all the tickets are sold to SSH the individual game pricing is kind of irrelevant, the total price for the season is all that matters. I always sell the tix to the meaningless friendly games to lower the overall cost of my season tix. This year I was able to get a few extra dollars because they put a higher face value on this game.

redcard
07-22-2010, 11:16 PM

guys for all those that were disappointed that we were forced into the purchase of this match to watch academy players, let your account executive know...hopefully they will make the ccl mandatory and this friendly an option...

my account executive told me price was what it was cause its bolton, and tfc had to rest the first team due to the upcoming match schedule...i then told her to refund my ticket price-and there was silence.

jaahuuu
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
guys for all those that were disappointed that we were forced into the purchase of this match to watch academy players, let your account executive know...hopefully they will make the ccl mandatory and this friendly an option...

my account executive told me price was what it was cause its bolton, and tfc had to rest the first team due to the upcoming match schedule...i then told her to refund my ticket price-and there was silence.
I gotta call BS on that. The team had no idea who the friendly opponant was going to be when STHs paid.

bgnewf
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Are we getting so jaded that seeing, even in a friendly, the likes of Martin Petrov, Gary Cahill and Kevin Davies... all wonderful professionals.... does not get our interest AS SOCCER FANS??

The friendlies are a reality and will likely remain so for a long time, or at least as long as MLS and MLSE think that they need to do outreach in order to broaden the base for their clubs and their sport.

One can argue about things such as price, timing, inclusion in season ticket packages, opponents and the like but we must all remember that the target audience for these games is often not us. We already get it. The hundreds of thousands of people who have a passing interest in soccer who have neither been to BMO Field or watched a TFC game on TV are the people they are trying to reach when they have these kinds of games.

We can debate the details, but the reality is that for a long time to come these games will remain.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-23-2010, 02:16 PM
id like to see us turn the table and go to England for our Pre-Season and play against some CCC teams... what a road trip..!

woolly
07-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I gotta call BS on that. The team had no idea who the friendly opponant was going to be when STHs paid.

Which is exactly the problem. FO is assigning a huge value to these tickets (especially for those of us in the greys and higher) when nobody knows who will show up on either side of the field.

but we must all remember that the target audience for these games is often not us

I can't imagine too many people were able to sell their tickets at full face value. I know I have gotten less and less for them each passing year. Maybe FO should sell these to their target audience rather than foisting htem on us.

Renewal will be in 4 weeks. Remember this when they tell you the new season pricing.