PDA

View Full Version : Are we really that bad on the road?

nimamalek
06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
After reading a few articles criticizing TFC of being poor on the road and the countless posts on the forums about how bad we are on the road I took a closer look at our road record, and I dont think we can say anything about our road record yet, here's why.

1. The first 2 losses were without our 3 new midfielders, although Robert was there for the 2nd loss. Basically a different TFC team.
2. The first 2 losses were against teams playing season openers at home, I might be wrong here but I think almost every team in the league won their season opener?
3. Third loss was on a fluke goal late.
4. Fourth loss was against a team that was undefeated at home at the time and has only lost once at home since.
5. There are only 5 teams in the entire league that have more than 1 win on the road.

I dont think its fair to say we are bad on the road yet, I think 2 or 3 more road games are needed before we can pass any judgement on the boys and their road record.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM
We arent but it certainly looks that way.
Enough experimenting, play the best 11 and lets watch the boys have a go.
No matter what we are shit in the first 10 (at home and away), provided we can settle down and dig in, we might come away with something. it will be super tough here as we are playing NE who kicks the shit out of us regularly.

Kevvv
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
We sucked against Houston.

Whether we're 'that bad' or not, we need to win on the road, and we need to do it against teams from the East, not just the West.

Not sure how far up the table we can go if we can only get points at home, and have trouble winning against our own division.

LucaGol
06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
We certainly seem to be playing a more defensive style on the road (lately...re: DC, Houston).....Carver can say what he likes about no luck away from home, but he's the one telling them to sit back.

If he's not telling them to sit back, then I guess they aren't listening to him.

It's not really a surprise because we are always hearing the rhetoric from the players and coaches of getting wins at home and picking up points here and there on the road where possible. That philosophy has to change if we're going to get more results away from BMO.

If we're going to be a top team we have to be ruthless and go for 3 points whether we're playing in Toronto or Timbucktoo.

Not a Carver bash....I love JC for the record.

Just telling it the way it is.

JDG
06-23-2008, 06:43 PM
We arent but it certainly looks that way.
Enough experimenting, play the best 11 and lets watch the boys have a go.
</p>
He's not experimenting. He's doing what is necessary to win in the long run.Our bench needs to get some games in. We are going to have more games where we're down multiple players due to international duty. If we have even a single injury at that time, we're going to need the whole bench to step up.If the players outside the optimal starting 11 don't get real game experience before we hit "crunch time", we're going to be faced with two possible problems - 1. The bench will not be ready, due to a lack of fitness/confidence, and 2. there may be some attitude from not having been played. They're all supposed to be professionals, but how much bruising can their egos take. Will they feel like a professional, if all the time they get is when the coach is desperate?Carver knows what he's doing, and he's doing the right thing by finding reasons, and ways to play everyone.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
</p>
He's not experimenting. He's doing what is necessary to win in the long run.Our bench needs to get some games in. We are going to have more games where we're down multiple players due to international duty. If we have even a single injury at that time, we're going to need the whole bench to step up.If the players outside the optimal starting 11 don't get real game experience before we hit "crunch time", we're going to be faced with two possible problems - 1. The bench will not be ready, due to a lack of fitness/confidence, and 2. there may be some attitude from not having been played. They're all supposed to be professionals, but how much bruising can their egos take. Will they feel like a professional, if all the time they get is when the coach is desperate?Carver knows what he's doing, and he's doing the right thing by finding reasons, and ways to play everyone.

I can see that but its obvious that that tactic hasnt worked, especially when you are benching obviously better players. I know that alot of these guys need to learn first hand experience but lets be honest, it shouldnt be at the sacrifice of the whole team.

If Guevara is available and fit and ready to play, PLAY HIM, PLAY HIM OVER CUNNY. If hes not play the next best player, perhaps that player will step up and replace them, if not they can try whenever their next chance is. Its competition adn as you said, they are to be professionals. I have yet to see anything positive come from the 'playing the winners tactic', you think he would have figured this out the first time.

The good thing is that everyone that started on saturday against KC is not necessarily going to start against NE due to the results.

Corpand
06-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Mate, did you watch the Houston game? That was not TFC playing, that was an Oreo Cookie Minor Toddler Tot League team playing. They just dont get the morale boost from away games as they do at BMO.

Carts
06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
</p>
He's not experimenting. He's doing what is necessary to win in the long run.Our bench needs to get some games in. We are going to have more games where we're down multiple players due to international duty.

I agree the bench needs playing time - but I'd rather see that happen in the 75th minute when we're up 2-0 at home...

Of course, my scenario is a 'perfect world' type of thing...

I think this really came to a head with alot of us this weekend... We were brutal - but when the subs came on (especially Guevara) we generated chances, and ultimately scored (although called back)... Seeing this had alot of people saying "...why the f*ck didn't they start in the 1st place..."

Alot of the frustration from fans is from outcomes like Saturday...

On the road - we need points, we need help, we need the best 11 on the pitch - IMHO...

Carts...

Detroit_TFC
06-23-2008, 08:16 PM
No grey jerseys. They seem to be laced with Sleepytime tea or something.

Make it red. Pleeeeze.

GuelphStorm2007
06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Maybe it is those god awful grey jerseys . I notice they always seem almost complacant out there . They are a total different team on the road, Maybe it is a mind thing

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
MLS since year won has been a homers park, and that hasn't changed over the years. Getting even a point out of Boston would be terrific, as long as we don't lose.

noochie
06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
ExiledRed is not around so I will say it... they are playing on turf and should feel at home in Gillette (even given the history of spankings there and of course, minus the crowd) ;)