PDA

View Full Version : Edwards or Sutton versus New England?

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I think it's safe to assume that Guevara, Edu, and Brennan will be in the starting lineup against the Revolution this weekend. However, I'm not so sure Sutton will be given back his starting role. I believe Sutton is our #1 keeper but in this case I would keep Edwards in there based on his recent play until he falters...

flatpicker
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
shouldn't a thread with this kind of title have a poll included?

I vote Sutton...

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2008, 04:46 PM
My bad, posted the thread first...

Pachuco
06-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm going to have to let Carver make this decision. I have no idea. Edwards hasn't been tested all that much if you ask me in the last two games but he's won two games in a row. Sutton on the other hand was playing spectacular before he left. I say Carver should go with whoever looks better in practice and works the hardest.

olegunnar
06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
It'll be an interesting test of Carver's youth soccer style policies. Or does the draw give him some wiggle room? You only have to compete for a spot if you lose? or if you don't win?
If it's lose than Edwards has nothing to worry about. He can play Xbox all week instead of training since he's guarenteed a spot.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Edwards is fine but we need age and experience. Also i think Edwards is getting a bit of a big head. He needs to earn his dues. Enough experimenting Carver, play the best fucking 11.

nimamalek
06-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Sutton, no question about it, I dont think Edwards has been tested at all

ManUtd4ever
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Brian Edwards hasn't been severely tested but his positioning and distribution have been excellent...

arsenal
06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
I went with Edwards. While he has not been seriously tested he has played well in both recent games. His distribution was great against LA & Colorado and you can see that KC targeted that to shut down as they consistently pressured him every time he had the ball. Sutton played very well early on, but his form had dipped from Superman status recently. Give the kid a shot an dsee if he can cure the road blues.

deschamp86
06-23-2008, 05:32 PM
I think we'll see our normal starting XI except for Sutton. The guys that won the week before didn't do their job this past game, but Edwards kept the clean sheet. I can't see Carver taking him out now.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Personally, Greg Sutton is my MVP to date…earlier in the year he kept us in games we had no business being involved in.

Nothing against Edwards but I can't think of a "stand out" performance?

Also my philosophy differs with Carver…I don't think you should loose your spot serving your country…if you get dropped because you play for the MNT…why would you want go? TFC are suppose to support the national program…if players loose their spots, it seems counter productive…no?

LucaGol
06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
I have yet to see Edwards make a save that isn't slowly....slowly rolling at him along the ground. Therefore, I have no frame of reference as to what kind of shot blocker he is, or what his instincts in the air are like.

Or am I crazy?....He seems to get a lot of free passes in the games he's played.

No brainer...play Greg Sutton.

giambac
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Personally, Greg Sutton is my MVP to date…earlier in the year he kept us in games we had no business being involved in.

Nothing against Edwards but I can't think of a "stand out" performance?

Also my philosophy differs with Carver…I don't think you should loose your spot serving your country…if you get dropped because you play for the MNT…why would you want go? TFC are suppose to support the national program…if players loose their spots, it seems counter productive…no?

Agree 100% with your statement

Strikers
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Sutton all the way he is our number 1

ensco
06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Sutton.

These next two games could easily, very easily, be losses. Lots of good teams lose at NE and at Chicago.

No complaint re Edwards, but it's the right moment to go back to Sutton. He's just a little more likely to steal a result.

James17930
06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Sutton.

These next two games could easily, very easily, be losses. Lots of good teams lose at NE and at Chicago.

No complaint re Edwards, but it's the right moment to go back to Sutton. He's just a little more likely to steal a result.

QFT.

Derko
06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Big games coming up, we need our best Starting XI, Sutton, Guevara, Edu, Brennan, Dichio, Robert, Ricketts, Valez, Wynne, Robinson and Marshall.

noochie
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Edwards has glue traps for hands, his only mistake all season has been the free kick from Gomez (and perhaps arguably the first goal of the year in CLB by Moffat although I still think that was defenders not closing down the man... anyhoo).

Sutton has been rock solid since coming back and deserves the starting job for sure.

In short... completely undecided... I am leaning towards Edwards although I am comfortable with either. Seriously I am more worried about the finishing then I am about the ability to save the game in the back.

Stencils
06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I love Sutton, I really do, but he puts too many blocked shots back in play. He makes a lot of great saves, spectacular ones, but I just can't ignore all the second chances he gives. If he can cut those down via training, he's my starting keeper every time.

Edwards hasn't made a spectacular save, no. Could he have set up the wall, positioned better for the goal in the Colorado game? Sure. But his distribution of the ball has been much more effective than Sutton's (at least in the last few games he's played). He moves to the ball and does a good job of claiming it.

I think he's played well enough to stay with him for the next game. Sutton may have been away on international duty, but Edwards has done well in his place. I think if he gets enough quality play time, he'll develop into a first class keeper.

So I'll defer to Carver on this one (he's closer to the situation obviously) but voted personally in this poll for Edwards. I like what I'm seeing from him.

The talk about losing your spot for going on international duty goes both ways. Say you're Edwards or Dunivant or whoever. You're called in to play because the 'main guys' are off playing for their countries. You get in and play your best and do well and earn points for the team for your efforts. If that's not good enough to be rewarded with the chance to do it again, what big incentive is there for Edwards or Dunivant to give 110% on game day if earning points for the team isn't enough to claim that spot or at least earn another chance? I totally agree with Carver in that he's got to make sure that he gets the full 90+ out of anyone he goes to the reserves for. He has to. We're just beginning to get into the real international stuff. This was just a taste of all the absences we're gonna have. We need to prepare for that and if keeping Edwards in (heck, if keeping Harmse in ala Kansas) is what prepares us to weather that storm coming up, then I'll take the 1 point and be as thankful as Carver was.

If taking 1 point against Kansas means more consistency and points later on, I'll take it.

Sorry, got a little of topic.

Cashcleaner
06-24-2008, 04:18 AM
I love Sutton with all my heart, but I gotta give the start to Edwards. It doesn't feel right to do it, but simply put; I think he's shaping up to be a better keeper.

Fiin
06-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Gotta go Edwards here, and I love Greg Sutton. Pulling a keeper/netminder etc in any sport whos riding a 2 game cleansheet 95% of the time is the 1st move in many that ends up getting your team smoked.

J .
06-24-2008, 05:31 AM
I dont think Edwards is ready to be an everyday guy. Sutton has the veteran mentality and Edwards should spend this year working really hard for his starts.

Carts
06-24-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm saying we go with Sutton...

Edwards has earned some excellent results, and clean sheets at home - but a few things come to mind here...

Lets say we play Edwards or Sutton and get smoked: I think the mental and long term confidence affect on Sutton is nil (he's been there / done that and knows it happens to us on the road), but Edwards no. Lets keep his confidence high.

Someone could say 'not starting him will hurt his confidence' - doubtfull. If you're a rookie on a team with a vet goalie - not starting won't knock your confidence, but having 4 fly by you will...

Also, Sutton has proved he can not only hold us in during a road game constant attack (remember the LA game - it could have been 4-0 by half), but he has also proven he can bounce back from a one-sided loss (the 4-1 DC United loss - then playing great aganist LA is a perfect example - games 2 and 3 on the season)...

We're playing the top team on the table, on the road where we're not strong. Go with our veteran goalkeeper - we know he can steal a road game for us, and we know that if things don't go well there won't be lingering affects next game...

Carts...

djking2
06-24-2008, 07:13 AM
You make a good case for Sutton Carts but I still went with Edwards. To me Brian looks more confident out there. Longsleeve said it well.

Technorgasm
06-24-2008, 09:35 AM
You make a good case for Sutton Carts but I still went with Edwards. To me Brian looks more confident out there. Longsleeve said it well.

Carts. . . you hit it.

Against such offensive powerhouse teams like DCU and Shitcago. . . its not only the actual keeping but the LEADERSHIP that Sutton brings which puts him WAaaay above Edwards.

We all agreee that we are lucky to have such a stellar back up keeper like Brian, who wins games, makes un-real savs and keeps the ball out. . .knowing when to come off your line is great. . . but being an active part of the play on the counter. . . / / going forward is also desperatley needed. As well as a tough mentality if we are down.

MANY of Gregs best performances came after we lost the lead.

Who would you like between the posts if the opposition is awarded a PK ?

There's only ONE

HE'S NUMBER ONE

GREG SUTTON.

Cas87
06-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Edwards has been good but lets face it ... he didn't play the best team in the league for his wins.
Sutton all the way

pat416
06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Im going for Sutton Because he has the Leadership and the skill. Were on the road and need the win. Edwards has played great though!!

Stencils
06-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Who would you like between the posts if the opposition is awarded a PK ?

Heh, you and Carts should be on the RPB debate team ;) You've almost changed my mind.

I hadn't considered the leadership question, and you're right. That would play a big part. I wasn't aware that Greg was a huge leadership figure on the team, to be honest. If that's the case, then that might be the edge we'll need against the Revs.

I just hope Suts has been working on those cough ups! Deflect out of play. I'll take a corner over a run on second shot with our keeper out of position ANY day of the week. If he can work that out, he's definitely our top choice in terms of skill and ability. RIGHT NOW. I still think Edwards is going to develop beautifully. Especially because he has Sutton as a mentor here.

djking2
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM
A couple of weeks ago Carver has this to say about Edwards

"I've worked with some decent goalkeepers and he's got all of the ingredients. He's got presence and fantastic distribution. He's got a loud voice which allows him to command his box and is good at dealing with crosses. He's a good shot-stopper"

Sounds to me like Brian can hold his own in the leadership end of things in time.

and this

Carver also had only praise for keeper Brian Edwards. Two of his goal kicks led to Toronto goals.

and that throw past Cunny in the Colorado game was awesome. If only Cunny still had the legs.

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Sutton is the starter. Edwards was being rewarded for good play in the interim. The team drew. The regular starters start. It's that simple to me.

LUFC
06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
ill be happy with both, but i ahve more faith in sutton at the moment so i hope edwards can give me more faith cause he is doing well.

Rawkus_420
06-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Edwards has got a fuckin boot and half... But sutton is betetr at saving shots, which is the key I think in goalkeeping. Basically, Edwards is young, he will get better, and will get his chance, Im sure he understands this. he should step down and give Old man sutton his place which he's earned thorugh his career.

ManUtd4ever
06-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Gotta go Edwards here, and I love Greg Sutton. Pulling a keeper/netminder etc in any sport whos riding a 2 game cleansheet 95% of the time is the 1st move in many that ends up getting your team smoked.

My thoughts exactly...I play as a goalkeeper in the York Region league so I also have a bias opinion ;)

Carts
06-24-2008, 07:03 PM
The best thing about this thread is we've actually had a constructive, mature debate, with differing opinions about something on the pitch...

Its nice to see we can still do that on here eh...

Back to topic: Its great to have both, Carver's quotes on Edwards are encouraging, but if I was on the sidelines I'd still go with Sutton for the reasons I stated before, and leadership quality that techno expressed in his post...

Carts...

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Edwards on recent form should be in...he's sharper then Sutton, though Sutton has the experience...The defence needs to be in form in Boston, if not it doesn't really matter whos in net..we'l get smoked.

TFC-Tyler
06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
The correct answer is Sutton.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Everyone who voted for Edwards still think Edwards? (i know its only 22 mins in and 1 game but that was terrible keeping on his part)