PDA

View Full Version : Rumour - Ronaldinho to Galaxy

mastermixer
07-16-2010, 08:44 AM
I know its prob already been speculated a dozen times but this may have some legs

http://www.mls-daily.com/2010/07/source-ronaldinho-to-sign-with-galaxy.html

DangerRed
07-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Whoa baby. That's pretty exciting and it does seem like it has legs this time.

Shaughno
07-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I've been hearing the very same rumblings for a bit now. We'll see if it comes to fruition.

Stouffville_RPB
07-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Apparently he has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave in January on a free.

I would have questions about how seriously he would take MLS though.

LesH
07-16-2010, 08:59 AM
TFC will be left in the dust in the coming years if this trend continues... with some MLS teams signing some really good star players, while us settling for just good enough ones...
Plus it seems like Preki can not work with star players, and he does not like them.

leafsman
07-16-2010, 09:02 AM
i dont believe it yesterday he supposedly had a verbal agreement with flamengo in brazil but milan want him still

MartinUtd
07-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I read he was linked to Flamengo the other day.

*searches google*

Scratch that, apparently that's not the case.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ihU6uJ8Of517plcqmU0GLXihxpZQ

ManUtd4ever
07-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Much like the Henry scenario, this would be present a serious challenge for TFC and other MLS clubs from a competitive balance perspective, but it would also create tremendous exposure for the league as a whole. Eventually, other aging stars defecting from top tier European leagues might start considering the likes of Toronto, Chicago, New England, Philadelphia, etc. as New York and LA will eventually utilize all of their DP slots...

DangerRed
07-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Much like the Henry scenario, this would be present a serious challenge for TFC and other MLS clubs from a competitive balance perspective, but it would also create tremendous exposure for the league as a whole. Eventually, other aging stars defecting from top tier European leagues might start considering the likes of Toronto, Chicago, New England, Philadelphia, etc. as New York and LA will eventually utilize all of their DP slots...

OR the aging stars could say, "NY and LA don't have any more slots and all the other cities over there are not ones I'd like to live in, so forget it."

That possibility worries me as much as the competitive unbalancing.

Oldtimer
07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
TFC will be left in the dust in the coming years if this trend continues... with some MLS teams signing some really good star players, while us settling for just good enough ones...
Plus it seems like Preki can not work with star players, and he does not like them.

We can't do anything about this. Toronto will never be a prime destination for really big stars in any global sport.

Preki doesn't like Prima Donnas, he doesn't mind quality. He also puts the team as a whole above individual players.

The fact is, a solid team can do better than a weak team with a couple of stars, even of Henry's or Ronaldinho's talents. What these star signings will mean is that the scalpers will start making money again.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
that or develop great younger players. NY and LA will always have an advantage for the aging superstar but that doesnt mean we cant make up for it with young talent. It does mean our academy needs to work that much harder.

ManUtd4ever
07-16-2010, 09:30 AM
OR the aging stars could say, "NY and LA don't have any more slots and all the other cities over there are not ones I'd like to live in, so forget it."

That possibility worries me as much as the competitive unbalancing.

Possibly, but that perception might change over time as more players from Europe are exposed to the other large markets in MLS by virtue of playing in the league...

LesH
07-16-2010, 09:40 AM
We can't do anything about this. Toronto will never be a prime destination for really big stars in any global sport.

Maybe this would need a separate thread, but:

The only valid reason for this is the colder weather than in NY or LA.
But other than that the world in general has no idea that the standard of living is clearly higher in Canada than in the USA, that Toronto is such a great cosmopolitan city with so many entertainment amenities where those star player could spend there moneys, that it's a very much safer (crime wise), cleaner, friendlier and better place to raise a family than major US cities.

The major problem I see here is that Toronto and Canada generally is not sold and marketed enough to the sports stars.

I'm saying all of the above like an European who lived 2 years in Toronto, and 8 years close to NY until now.

Derko
07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
that or develop great younger players. NY and LA will always have an advantage for the aging superstar but that doesnt mean we cant make up for it with young talent. It does mean our academy needs to work that much harder.

I would hope that it would inspire players that are of a lesser skill set to play and develop with more determination, let us not forget that it is anyone's game on any given night, many examples of that were evident at this year's World Cup, would you not agree.

:drinking: :scarf:

tfcleeds
The only major star we would even have a shot at getting would be someone like Alessandro Del Piero. Not just because the huge Italian population would welcome him with open arms, but people like Bettega (who also played for Juve) played here and enjoyed it. But I don't see that ever happening now. And ADP ain't getting any younger.

Pachuco

Our problem with that is even there we are at a disadvantage. Let's say we want to be a Tampa Bay Devil Rays. A team who develops young players and then sell those players when they can't afford to keep them. Well it's not that easy for us to unload Canadian talent coming from the Academy either. We are atleast at a disadvantage there even with Montreal and Vancouver coming in to the league.

boban
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Maybe this would need a separate thread, but:

The only valid reason for this is the colder weather than in NY or LA.
But other than that the world in general has no idea that the standard of living is clearly higher in Canada than in the USA, that Toronto is such a great cosmopolitan city with so many entertainment amenities where those star player could spend there moneys, that it's a very much safer (crime wise), cleaner, friendlier and better place to raise a family than major US cities.

The major problem I see here is that Toronto and Canada generally is not sold and marketed enough to the sports stars.

I'm saying all of the above like an European who lived 2 years in Toronto, and 8 years close to NY until now.
I'm with you on this.
Personally I think MLSE is not even pursuing the big stars, but only the after thoughts. Then you have peple posting on boards that TFC can't attract players is not because of MLSE, but because of cercumstances beyond TFC's control. That to me is a cop out. Letting MLSE off the hook too easy.

bowmanvillejim
07-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Toronto does not carry the same cache as LA or NY but it's a good city. In time other aging stars will look to North America as a place they can pad their retirement fund and enjoy being in the lime light a little longer. The question is whether MLSE will spend the money to get one of those aging stars.

icecoldbeer
07-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I heard rumours of him going to NYRB...

Pachuco
07-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm with you on this.
Personally I think MLSE is not even pursuing the big stars, but only the after thoughts. Then you have peple posting on boards that TFC can't attract players is not because of MLSE, but because of cercumstances beyond TFC's control. That to me is a cop out. Letting MLSE off the hook too easy.

Agreed. The Jays are the last team to sink real money into a team in this city and that was in 92-93. Need I say more? People should go through the lineup from top to bottom on that team and ask themselves whether starts really have a big problem coming to Toronto. Money talks, it's been proven in this city.

boban
07-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Agreed. The Jays are the last team to sink real money into a team in this city and that was in 92-93. Need I say more? People should go through the lineup from top to bottom on that team and ask themselves whether starts really have a big problem coming to Toronto. Money talks, it's been proven in this city.
Exactly. So you offer the DP some amount more than LA or NY. Fuck you're in the same league visiting the same cities. We have grass now. So what's the excuse now?!! Oh yeah, don't fit in the MLSE financial economic formula stress test. Whatever.

jaxul
07-16-2010, 10:05 AM
These things are starting to piss me off. Let the other teams sign whoever the fuck they want. Let's focus more on OUR team. Too much attention is paid to what other teams do imo.

/end of rant

Ossington Mental Youth
07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I would hope that it would inspire players that are of a lesser skill set to play and develop with more determination, let us not forget that it is anyone's game on any given night, many examples of that were evident at this year's World Cup, would you not agree.

:drinking: :scarf:

yep and right now the parity is still strong

Our problem with that is even there we are at a disadvantage. Let's say we want to be a Tampa Bay Devil Rays. A team who develops young players and then sell those players when they can't afford to keep them. Well it's not that easy for us to unload Canadian talent coming from the Academy either. We are atleast at a disadvantage there even with Montreal and Vancouver coming in to the league.

absolutely but its a matter of time, we wont see the effects of our academy for a bti but as long as we continue to pursue it, we will see the benefits

I'm with you on this.

Cmon, lets be realistic about this, you truly think that Ronaldinho would take Toronto over LA? Do you think hes even heard of Toronto or could find it on a map? Yes we have to pressure MLSE but we also have to be realistic about this and lets be honest here MLSE is never being let off the hook by this group here.

Toronto does not carry the same cache as LA or NY but it's a good city. In time other aging stars will look to North America as a place they can pad their retirement fund and enjoy being in the lime light a little longer. The question is whether MLSE will spend the money to get one of those aging stars.

they will but once again it comes down to Toronto and whether they are a good fit. Dont forget the cap is 2.6 and the money we take in is great and could be greater, i dont think they would shy away from signing a big money maker

Stouffville_RPB
07-16-2010, 10:10 AM

I disagree with this part of your statement. The Leafs pre-cap were always among the top spending teams.

In capped league you can only spend so much. Capped leagues are a whole different game. Then it becomes more about managing players and building a team not about who has the biggest bank account.

MLSE has shown they are willing to spend the money (Leafs pre cap, adn bringing in the JDG). They just haven't spent on the right guys yet.

mmmikey
07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
i think an underestimated part of this is marketing beyond TFC. beckham joins LA, henry joins NYC, both cities with massive entertainment and/or advertising industries. they won't just make a big DP salary, they will rake in endorsements, private party appearances etc. i think this is where toronto will always fall short.

from an amenities perspective i think athletes have a good idea that toronto is a good place to be (look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto), it's a question of total earning potential.

thats my take on it at least.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
i think an underestimated part of this is marketing beyond TFC. beckham joins LA, henry joins NYC, both cities with massive entertainment and/or advertising industries. they won't just make a big DP salary, they will rake in endorsements, private party appearances etc. i think this is where toronto will always fall short.

from an amenities perspective i think athletes have a good idea that toronto is a good place to be (look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto), it's a question of total earning potential.

very good argument right here

TFC_Central
07-16-2010, 10:51 AM
if mista pans out , (aka being able to tap a ball into the back of the net). All we will need is a setup striker (not chad). Chad has has a million plus chances , and he missed 900,000 of them. We need someone who can beat 2-3 players and deliver a quality ball for an easy tap in (pablo vitti esque) We have labrocca for long precise balls. If Chad can hang up the striker boots and play out wide, focusing on his delivery, pace and awareness rather then trying to score we may just have a patchwork of a team here. As for peterson I've seen a glimpse of his service and it has some serious pace (so do his legs). If only he can hold off pulling on that invisibility cloak....:rolleyes:

I had a dream last night.......

--------Santos--Mista---Dero---------
----Peterson-----JDG-----Labrocca---
--Usanov---Cann---Attakora---Gargan--

maninb
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
"look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto"....but none of the spoiled whiny bitches want anything to do with the city as far as playing here...

maninb
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
if mista pans out , (aka being able to tap a ball into the back of the net). All we will need is a setup striker (not chad). Chad has has a million plus chances , and he missed 900,000 of them. We need someone who can beat 2-3 players and deliver a quality ball for an easy tap in (pablo vitti esque) We have labrocca for long precise balls. If Chad can hang up the striker boots and play out wide, focusing on his delivery, pace and awareness rather then trying to score we may just have a patchwork of a team here. As for peterson I've seen a glimpse of his service and it has some serious pace (so do his legs). If only he can hold off pulling on that invisibility cloak....:rolleyes:

Dero is wasted on the wing.....he strays offside FAR FAR too much....

boban
07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I disagree with this part of your statement. The Leafs pre-cap were always among the top spending teams.

In capped league you can only spend so much. Capped leagues are a whole different game. Then it becomes more about managing players and building a team not about who has the biggest bank account.

MLSE has shown they are willing to spend the money (Leafs pre cap, adn bringing in the JDG). They just haven't spent on the right guys yet.
This is such a bullshit statement. Please......

boban
07-16-2010, 11:04 AM

People pay in Toronto. There is ALOT of money in this city. Don't sell yourself short. There are many big name football stars out there with name recognition. It's not just about Becks, henry, and Ronaldihno. What about the others. MLSE can't get even one, while these teams are get 2 or three each. Csz they (MLSE) are not persuing it. If they did they would land one. Toronto has tonnes to do here, nightlife, parties, events, endorsements etc.

fetajr
07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
----Santos-----Mista------Barret---------
----------------Dero -------------------
----Peterson----JDG-------Labrocca---
--Attakora-----Cann-------Gargan--

Fort York Redcoat
07-16-2010, 11:27 AM

People pay in Toronto. There is ALOT of money in this city. Don't sell yourself short. There are many big name football stars out there with name recognition. It's not just about Becks, henry, and Ronaldihno. What about the others. MLSE can't get even one, while these teams are get 2 or three each. Csz they (MLSE) are not persuing it. If they did they would land one. Toronto has tonnes to do here, nightlife, parties, events, endorsements etc.

Interesting comparison. I've heard that while Toronto is a great city to live and party NBA'ers are unimpressed with the relative obscurity they feel here vs Yank cities.

I think boban is barking up the right tree with more footballers believing the hype on TO and it's support.

Derko
07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

I really, really like that group of players. With Chad coming in off the bench for pace.

Azerban
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM
----Santos-----Mista------Barret---------
----------------Dero -------------------
----Peterson----JDG-------Labrocca---
--Attakora-----Cann-------Gargan--

who plays a 3-4-3 anymore?

Red Skies At Night
07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I spent many years trying to recruit top talent (not football unfortunately) to Toronto from foreign shores. For every place people seem to think TFC can recruit players from, I can give you reasons why the US is a better choice. Financially, varying tax rates, indexing, investment and other statutory issues come into play making it much more lucrative to ply your trade in the US over Canada. Then there are visa rules (and the ability to have them bent), marketing opportunities, etc.
It's not about who can offer the biggest contract (I've offered some doozies only to be turned down flat) but the most opportunity balanced with a good quality of life.
The truth of the matter is that regardless of how us Torontonians feel the rest of the world doesn't see us as a world class city with world class opportunities.
America has cache. Toronto doesn't.
Other than that, the hate-on for mlse sounds childish and ungrateful to me.

Beach_Red
07-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm with you on this.

It's clear MLS and the other owners want the league to be as successful as other north American leagues like the NFL, NBA and even NHL.

With an expansion franchise in the NFL going for a billion dollars, that's clearly out of the reach of any owner in Toronto, but there's no reason why TFC couldn't be as successful as the Raptors or the Leafs.

Oh wait....

Stouffville_RPB
07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
who plays a 3-4-3 anymore?

outside of playstation?

DangerRed
07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I spent many years trying to recruit top talent (not football unfortunately) to Toronto from foreign shores. For every place people seem to think TFC can recruit players from, I can give you reasons why the US is a better choice. Financially, varying tax rates, indexing, investment and other statutory issues come into play making it much more lucrative to ply your trade in the US over Canada. Then there are visa rules (and the ability to have them bent), marketing opportunities, etc.
It's not about who can offer the biggest contract (I've offered some doozies only to be turned down flat) but the most opportunity balanced with a good quality of life.
The truth of the matter is that regardless of how us Torontonians feel the rest of the world doesn't see us as a world class city with world class opportunities.
America has cache. Toronto doesn't.
Other than that, the hate-on for mlse sounds childish and ungrateful to me.

I agree re: the MLSE hate. I'll be the first one to start screaming that I want the next huge overseas signing to come to Toronto, but I know it's tougher than just throwing money at the problem.

My question is what else aside from money (which obviously isn't everything) do we have at our disposal as a remedy to this situation?

Dub Narcotic
07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Half of these DP signings have blew up anyway. Juninho has been more of a factor than David Beckham.

Beach_Red
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
I agree re: the MLSE hate. I'll be the first one to start screaming that I want the next huge overseas signing to come to Toronto, but I know it's tougher than just throwing money at the problem.

My question is what else aside from money (which obviously isn't everything) do we have at our disposal as a remedy to this situation?

For some of us our dislike of MLSE doesn't have to do with money. Not every company is run the same. Some companies are better than others, that's all. It's sometimes shocking that in a market as big as Toronto there's only one company willing to get into pro sports, so we have to take what we can get, but we don't have to blindly support them, we can look at them as critically as we do anything else. They run a profitable monopoly.

DangerRed
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
For some of us our dislike of MLSE doesn't have to do with money. Not every company is run the same. Some companies are better than others, that's all. It's sometimes shocking that in a market as big as Toronto there's only one company willing to get into pro sports, so we have to take what we can get, but we don't have to blindly support them, we can look at them as critically as we do anything else. They run a profitable monopoly.

Absolutely -- they deserve to be criticized. All I'm saying is that it would behoove us all to entertain the crazy and outlandish notion that there might be more to us not signing Ronaldinho than just MLSE's greed.

mmmikey
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM

yes there are many, but the only actual stars we have to refer to are the ones who are sigining in LA and NYC. you can't hold up a hypothetical player that would sign for toronto if MLSE just gave a damn. im no MLSE lover by any means (freakin hate them for the most part).

there is only evidence that top stars who sign for mls prefer NYC or LA. ill be happy if another star emerges, but i frankly am skeptical we can attract one on sheer fan support/multiculturalism alone. i certainly disagree that we have the financial benefits to rival those markets.

mmmikey
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Absolutely -- they deserve to be criticized. All I'm saying is that it would behoove us all to entertain the crazy and outlandish notion that there might be more to us not signing Ronaldinho than just MLSE's greed.

mobs don't like opposing viewpoints, they tend to string them up along with the real targets! :P

ensco
07-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Fuhgeddaboudit. Toronto doesn't just have a marketing problem. It also has a reality problem.

It will always come in second to its most comparable peers in North America, Chicago and Boston. None of these three are in the same league as NY, LA, or Miami, which are global capitals of beautiful people.

Vancouver, Portland and Seattle have an ability to compete, for a certain type of person.

It's best not to dwell on this. It is what it is.

TFC07
07-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Agreed. People are really underestimating Toronto here. Yes, Toronto wouldn't able to get certain players like Beckham, but Toronto is capable of getting superstar players who are generally aren't hyped up like Beckham. History has proven that!

BTW I am still waiting on TFC to use Toronto/GTA’s multiculturalism in their advantage to get (better) players. Right now, this team doesn’t reflect of city (and its culture) at all and reminds an 2 tier team in GTA.

Dirk Diggler
07-16-2010, 08:16 PM
There is no doubt what so ever that Toronto does not have the same sort of appeal as NYC and LA but conversely, there is no doubt what so ever that money talks and that 90% of athletes will go play in the middle of a desert (as they have been doing in the middle east) if they were being offered enough of it.

Heart of Stone
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
"look at all the NBA stars loving nights out in toronto"....but none of the spoiled whiny bitches want anything to do with the city as far as playing here...

Antoine Davis was pissed that his kids were hearing the Canadian national anthem at school instead of the star-spangled banner... so he left.

TFC07
07-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Antoine Davis was pissed that his kids were hearing the Canadian national anthem at school instead of the star-spangled banner... so he left.

Agreed, BUT international (non-american) b-ball players love Toronto!

Heart of Stone
07-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Do the Galaxy still share Home Depot with Chivas? If so, how would Ronaldinho feel about this ... is it standard practice for teams to share the same venue in other soccer playing nations?

AL-MO
07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Do the Galaxy still share Home Depot with Chivas? If so, how would Ronaldinho feel about this ... is it standard practice for teams to share the same venue in other soccer playing nations?

Yes they do.

I am not sure why he'd care as long as he is getting his butthole filled with cash.

Heart of Stone
07-16-2010, 08:41 PM
LOL ... yeah I guess that's all it would take for a guy left off the national team

Flipityflu
07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
honestly, i think its a better investment to build a top notch academy and develop the superstars ourselves. thats were the long term success of TFC (and Canada) lies in my opinion.

yes Heart of Stone...AC Milan and Inter being the most famous.

AL-MO
07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
honestly, i think its a better investment to build a top notch academy and develop the superstars ourselves. thats were the long term success of TFC (and Canada) lies in my opinion.

yes Heart of Stone...AC Milan and Inter being the most famous.

Agreed 100%.

But it will take time.

Dirk Diggler
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM

I don't know why you are making this issue when Ronaldinho currently plays for a team that shares its stadium with another.

Pookie
07-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Some of you are forgetting a fact or two about the MLS.

This isn't a league in which franchises compete for players completely independent of each other. This is a single entity league. The league has a vested interest in ensuring that, as a league, the business is profitable.

Do the math. The New York Red Bulls may have a profitable owner but the team itself generated just $10M in revenue according to Forbes (2008). They show a -$4.5M loss when it comes to operating income. They have no major TV contract and drew under 13,000 fans per game. Where's the money coming from?

They aren't getting Henry without help from the league in the form of allocation money. Allocation money is used to pay salaries and/or pay down the cap hits of those salaries to allow teams to conveniently go over the cap when it suits the league.

With expansion in Philly and a rumoured desire for a second team in NY, the league needs the DC - Philly - NY corridor to be a success at the gate and on TV. Just as Beckham's arrival sent the LA market afire and led to big expansion fees in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver.

Toronto is kind of in limbo land. Not a first priority for propping up by the league. There is no major benefit to get Toronto to "star" level at this stage. We sell out. Our games are broadcast on the biggest networks in the region and we are somewhat geographically isolated (in terms of close rivals).

Arguing about MLSE this or that is probably moot IMO. Big contracts don't get signed without allocation money support (to either pay them or pay down the cap hit to enable teams to go over it).

If this rumour is true, this is the Beckham replacement to prop up the west coast TV market.

Oldtimer
07-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Do the math. The New York Red Bulls may have a profitable owner but the team itself generated just $10M in revenue according to Forbes (2008). They show a -$4.5M loss when it comes to operating income. They have no major TV contract and drew under 13,000 fans per game. Where's the money coming from?

They aren't getting Henry without help from the league in the form of allocation money. Allocation money is used to pay salaries and/or pay down the cap hits of those salaries to allow teams to conveniently go over the cap when it suits the league.

Not a bad thought, but the rules state that allocation money can only pay up to half the cap hit of a DP. SO there are not millions flowing to NY to pay for Henry.

RBNY is a special case -- unlike almost any other team in the league, they don't need to make money. Like the Red Bull teams in racing and other sports, the entire budget is an advertising write-off. If they manage to ever break even , it will be a bonus. What's most important to Red Bull is that they have a glamerous, winning team, "proving" that "Red Bull gives you wings."

Pookie
07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Not a bad thought, but the rules state that allocation money can only pay up to half the cap hit of a DP. SO there are not millions flowing to NY to pay for Henry.

You are right... almost. The cap hit can be bought down to $150k.

Allocation money can also be used to pay for the salary as well.

MLS makes allocation money available for things like player transfers and poor performance but they also have a clause that allows for the provision of allocation money for "exceptional circumstances"

What's more is that the amounts awarded (outside of player transfers) are not made public. There is no limit on the amount of cash provided.

RBNY is a special case -- unlike almost any other team in the league, they don't need to make money. Like the Red Bull teams in racing and other sports, the entire budget is an advertising write-off. If they manage to ever break even , it will be a bonus. What's most important to Red Bull is that they have a glamerous, winning team, "proving" that "Red Bull gives you wings."

I'd agree with you there except that the Red Bulls have had this team since 2006. Winning, glamour and brand awareness haven't been part of their plans up until recent... a time which coincides with east coast expansion.

---

As an aside, a juicy story line has the Henry transfer coming at no cost to the MLS in exchange for Barcelona being granted rights to either an expansion team (based on east cost, NY or Miami have been mentioned) or shares in an existing franchise (Philly has been mentioned). If that comes to fruition, it highlights that the Red Bulls themselves had little to do with the signing of Henry and that this was a league driven initiative.

Flipityflu
07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Agreed 100%.

But it will take time.

well we have waited a while already, so may as well stay on the boat lol

jaxul
07-27-2010, 08:11 AM
According to a spanish paper he extended his contract at Milan until june 2011 so LA has to wait at least another year

Nodoubtguy
07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
yeah, this seems to be dead for now

GhostKiller
07-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I was playing Fifa 10 for PS3 yesterday and the bottom of the home screen has a ticker that gives updates from around the world. It reported the same rumor. Must be kinda legit

mmmikey
07-27-2010, 11:59 AM
According to a spanish paper he extended his contract at Milan until june 2011 so LA has to wait at least another year

spanish papers are usually way off base.

ronaldinho already had a contract expiring in 2011. for ronaldinho to come to the MLS this season he would have to negotiate his release from milan. milan is very hard up financially cause berlusconi's children don't want him spending on the club anymore. basically, if they give up ronaldinho they won't really be able to sign a replacement. what complicates this is that there MIGHT be a clause that lets ronaldinho seek a release in midseason (january) altho that sounds pretty strange and i bet its more of a rumor. what all the rumors are contending is that milan would like to extend him, but since he will be available for free next year they might want to go ahead and cash in on him now so they don't lose him for nothing. problem with this idea is that MLS would have to pay a transfer fee, and i am very skeptical that they will ever pay the kind of valuation milan would put on him.

imo, this is a dead issue until next summer, unless milan actually extend him, which they are attempting to do right now (prob at reduced wages.. so ronaldinho's camp leverages MLS interest as a bargaining chip).

Yohan
07-27-2010, 12:41 PM
goal.com reports Ronaldinho to stay at Milan

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2010/07/26/2043277/report-ronaldinho-set-to-spurn-the-galaxy-to-stay-at-ac