PDA

View Full Version : Julian de Guzman @ July 1st Match

DigzTFC!
06-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey gang,

on TFC TV Julian said he was going to be at the Vancouver match @ BMO. Can you guys make a chant for him to make him feel welcomed. I think it would be great to show him what Toronto can provide (except natural grass). :canada:

Hell, I'm sure Jono will be there too, so you can make a nice chant for him as well. But, out of respect of Julian, it might be in poor taste.

Alarius
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Or cheer for the one and only JDG.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, a great way to win one over is to curse the other one in the presence of both. :rofl:

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I would love to rip into Jonathan...but it has been said before and I agree, out of respect for the only JDG...if we do anything, let's do it for Julian and ignore Jonathan. Julian would probably want it that way. It is his brother after all...even if he is a sniveling gloryhunter...

werewolf
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Atiba will probably be there too, he was at the game last weekend.

NateDoGG
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
it should be a chant like "who the fuck is beckham"

Billy the kid
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I hope this game is a sellout, they've been selling tickets to the Canada Championship games for a while.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM
I would love to rip into Jonathan...but it has been said before and I agree, out of respect for the only JDG...if we do anything, let's do it for Julian and ignore Jonathan. Julian would probably want it that way. It is his brother after all...even if he is a sniveling gloryhunter...

Did your wife call you that when you made your career decision too? :canada:

Oh, and that is all from me on this I'll let you guys rip Jono a millionth asshole as usual.

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
My career has nothing to do with who I'd represent for in the International Donut Eating Championships...the only thing I am qualified for at this point. That's how it should be.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:08 PM
I was just get'n ya riled up Roogs, don't worry. ;)

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Just for that....you owe me a dozen donuts. I prefer honey crullers please.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~osoono/ethnicdoughs/doughnut/donuts.jpg

There you go, should be one or two in there.

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 04:12 PM
cheap bastard :taz:

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
You know it! :D

Keyman
Every thread Roogsy is in turns into a discussion about freakin' donuts!
God damnit!

As for this thread, I'll be singing "There's only one, De Guzman"

I don't give a shit about the respect factor, he chose not to play for us, he can deal with it.

Roogsy
There is only one solution. Give me donuts. :thumbsup:

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Every thread Roogsy is in turns into a discussion about freakin' donuts!
God damnit!

As for this thread, I'll be singing "There's only one, De Guzman"

I don't give a shit about the respect factor, he chose not to play for us, he can deal with it.

Even if it means Julian not playing here because of the disrespect to Jono?

Keyman
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Even if it means Julian not playing here because of the disrespect to Jono?
Yup. Even though that would never happen.
Anyways, we're heading down yet another slippry slope, let's not go any further.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:19 PM
True. I said I wouldn't go any further and figures it's Roogsy that brings me back into it. Bastard. You AND your donuts.

Keyman
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
There is only one solution. Give me donuts. :thumbsup:
July 1st, I'm buyng you donuts. 100% serious.

Just come to the tailgate.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Tiny Toms?!?!?!?! Can I have some?

Leprechaun
I hope this game is a sellout, they've been selling tickets to the Canada Championship games for a while.

Well it looks like they have been trying to promote it a lot and for a good while too. I hope this game sells out! I'm bringing 4 of my friends who have never been to a game and I want them to be as impressed as I was at my first game. Also I heard the atmosphere on Saturday was shit (I couldn't make it) so it would be nice to show JDG what we can really bring. Anyone have any idea how the ticket sales are going for the Canada Cup so far??

werewolf
"July 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1) - Smoking will be banned in all public places (including bars and restaurants) in the Netherlands"

Keyman
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Tiny Toms?!?!?!?! Can I have some?

Duuhhh, Tiny Toms are the shit. When I was fat, they were like a drug to me, I always needed my fix.

I'll get you your own bag-o-donuts.

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
I should make it known I also accept Flakies...:hump:

Pachuco
06-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Well it looks like they have been trying to promote it a lot and for a good while too. I hope this game sells out! I'm bringing 4 of my friends who have never been to a game and I want them to be as impressed as I was at my first game. Also I heard the atmosphere on Saturday was shit (I couldn't make it) so it would be nice to show JDG what we can really bring. Anyone have any idea how the ticket sales are going for the Canada Cup so far??

Not going as well as expected in MLSinToronto's own words. They were still promoting the games saturday at the game so they obviously have lots of tickets left.

Put it this way, I just checked ticketmaster and searched for 8 tickets and found them no problem. I then checked for 4 tickets in other sections and found them as well. That can't be good, truly dissapointing :mad:

I've bought 6 tickets to these games already just to take my buddies that have been dying to go all season. I am using this as an opportunity to convert my friends for the future but if the atmosphere ain't the same as a regular TFC game they will probably ask me what all the fuzz is about.

t.o_moose
06-23-2008, 05:05 PM
instead of making up songs or chants for players that DON'T play for our team, why don't we make up ones for the ones that do?

last I checked, we don't really sing for Tebily, Edwards, Harmse, Robinson, Marshall, Smith and probably a few others.

Rudi
06-23-2008, 05:24 PM
last I checked, we don't really sing for Tebily, Edwards, Harmse, Robinson, Marshall, Smith and probably a few others.
To the tune of "Let It Be"

Tebily, Tebily, Tebily
Oh Tebily
Playing in the defence, Tebilyyyyyyyyyyy

:D

t.o_moose
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM

Tebily, Tebily, Tebily
Oh Tebily

LOVE IT! :hump:

even if we kept: "There will be an answer.. Tebily" that would still sound great IMO

bignickel
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
LOVE IT! :hump:

even if we kept: "There will be an answer.. Tebily" that would still sound great IMO

have to admit that i didn't want to see another beatles tune but the fit is almost too good to ignore.
someone post this as a thread title on chants before we get moved.

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Tebily, Tebily, Tebily
Oh Tebily

FREAKIN MAGIC!

Somebody called Usector a chant factory somewhere? Friggin' dead on...

t.o_moose
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
have to admit that i didn't want to see another beatles tune but the fit is almost too good to ignore.

done and done :D

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 05:50 PM

I see it the other way.

Beatles tunes are so well known that it helps people get on board.

Pick an obscure melody and you will find the problems we have been experiencing.

Pick something the masses know and the masses will be willing to follow along.

Tocp 07
06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I would love to rip into Jonathan...but it has been said before and I agree, out of respect for the only JDG...if we do anything, let's do it for Julian and ignore Jonathan. Julian would probably want it that way. It is his brother after all...even if he is a sniveling gloryhunter...Well you missed your chance at ripping Judos, he was at the TFC game on saturday.

t.o_moose
06-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I see it the other way.

Beatles tunes are so well known that it helps people get on board.

Pick an obscure melody and you will find the problems we have been experiencing.

Pick something the masses know and the masses will be willing to follow along.

exactly.. I thought that "Go West" was well known until the "Stand up for the TFC" debacle...

actually, the only time I heard that song work was in Montreal ("One-nil! To the TFC!"), and that's because it was all the hardcores out.

... there are a lot of good ideas for chants and songs, but most of them won't work because the majority will not have heard the original song before, and turn it into "Stand up for the TFC" part deux.

Leprechaun
06-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Not going as well as expected in MLSinToronto's own words. They were still promoting the games saturday at the game so they obviously have lots of tickets left.

Put it this way, I just checked ticketmaster and searched for 8 tickets and found them no problem. I then checked for 4 tickets in other sections and found them as well. That can't be good, truly dissapointing :mad:

I've bought 6 tickets to these games already just to take my buddies that have been dying to go all season. I am using this as an opportunity to convert my friends for the future but if the atmosphere ain't the same as a regular TFC game they will probably ask me what all the fuzz is about.

Same here...I've finally been given the opportunity to bring my friends and I'm worried the atmosphere just won't be the same. I talk about TFC to them constantly and they want to see for themselves just how good the experience is. Hopefully they sell these games out so I don't look like an idiot lol.

Rudi
06-23-2008, 06:18 PM
FREAKIN MAGIC!

Somebody called Usector a chant factory somewhere? Friggin' dead on...
I came up with that one at the first reserve game of the season. That and "We've got that Patrick Phelan" to the tune of that Righteous Brothers song.

Obviously, we have to change the lyrics to that Phelan one. "We've lost that Patrick Phelan, now he's gone, gone, gone... woah-oh-oh!" :D

DigzTFC!
06-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Man, talk about hijacked fellas....donuts and a song for Tebily? Not what I intended but progress is progress I guess. :canada:

Not sure why making a nice welcoming to Julian seems like a problem. Maybe I just figured TFC and the Canadian national team had more of a connection than it does.

JDG
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
... Hopefully they sell these games out so I don't look like an idiot lol.

Sadly, as Pachuco pointed out earlier, sales are not as good as they should be. There are still tickets available.

Rudi
06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Man, talk about hijacked fellas....donuts and a song for Tebily? Not what I intended but progress is progress I guess. :canada:

Not sure why making a nice welcoming to Julian seems like a problem. Maybe I just figured TFC and the Canadian national team had more of a connection than it does.
I hear you, man.

I'm country over club, though. As much as I love TFC, I live and breathe for the Canadian national team.

superfrankielampard
06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
does anyone know a good site to buy la liga jerseys with the proper printing on the back?
I'm considering picking up a JDG Deportivo home kit but It's hard to find one that i can get the right printing on the back.

Bobo
06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
There's only one De Guzman! x4

Never has that chant been more fitting.

And perhaps to make it better:

There's only one De Guzman!
Your brother's crap so lose em!

I don't care if its.......blunt. We have every right to voice our displeasure!

Ageroo
06-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I hear you, man.

I'm country over club, though. As much as I love TFC, I live and breathe for the Canadian national team.

well......I am the same way as well........but TFC is a close second...(as I run for shelter from the onslaught....) haha

Ageroo
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
does anyone know a good site to buy la liga jerseys with the proper printing on the back?
I'm considering picking up a JDG Deportivo home kit but It's hard to find one that i can get the right printing on the back.

What about their team website?

superfrankielampard
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
What about their team website?

yah thats a good call i'll check it out...although i was hoping to maybe find a site that ships from our side of the pond to save on shipping.

ensco
06-23-2008, 06:44 PM
"There's only one De Guzman"

Canary Canuck
06-23-2008, 07:44 PM
To be honest, I'm kind of surprised no bigger clubs have come in for Jules this offseason. I've seen a couple of his teammates linked with Barca and Arsenal but nothing for Jules.... at least I haven't seen anything. I believe he's got one year left on his deal at Depor and the club's in big debt so I doubt they'd say no to any respectable offer. It would be pretty sweet to go out and pick up a JDG Barca shirt.

Anyone else think that he could become a true household name in Canada if he was transferred to one of the 4 big English clubs? Obviously the EPL is way more mainstream in Canada than La Liga and his visibility would be huge playing for one of those clubs. He's certainly the first Canadian international with the talent to do so.

RealG-TFC
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Am I the only one that finds it funny that it says "There's only one De Guzman" yet you clearly imply that there is another one?

Bobo
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM

"There's only one De Guzman"

Am I the only one that finds it funny that it says "There's only one De Guzman" yet you clearly imply that there is another one?

It's a common chant and its been done for guys like Sutton and Ricketts.

egoodwin
06-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Tebily, Tebily, Tebily
Oh Tebily

excellent song Rudi, I look forward to singing it in NE on Sat!!!

James17930
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
On a bit of an unrelated topic, is anyone else surprised there are still tickets available for these matches?

Or do you think their just singles?

TorCanSoc
06-23-2008, 08:46 PM
No I think there are a boat load of tix left. I, for one, could not afford both games. I pitched my VANC games to friends at the office, and I kept the MTL game. I have a feeling the game will be close to a sell out, but it may be a lot of walk-up, need something to do because I'm in Toronto on Canada day traffic. Hence ho-hum atmosphere.

Montreal is going to be a lot better.

James17930
06-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Even more importantly, though, both JDG and Hutch hinted they'd want to play here on day. JDG even kissed the scarf and said it was 'his team' . . . this is huge! Do you think we might even be looking at a summer transfer?

Daveisonfire
06-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Even more importantly, though, both JDG and Hutch hinted they'd want to play here on day. JDG even kissed the scarf and said it was 'his team' . . . this is huge! Do you think we might even be looking at a summer transfer?

Haha..nope!:D

noochie
06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Need a massive CANADA SOCCER tifo for this game :)

Big Bruva
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey gang,

on TFC TV Julian said he was going to be at the Vancouver match @ BMO. Can you guys make a chant for him to make him feel welcomed. I think it would be great to show him what Toronto can provide (except natural grass). :canada:

Hell, I'm sure Jono will be there too, so you can make a nice chant for him as well. But, out of respect of Julian, it might be in poor taste.

Myself, Julian, Jonathan and Atiba were at the game on Saturday in the box seats so he has seen what the fans do already but yeah go ahead.

Mrs. Workie
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
My career has nothing to do with who I'd represent for in the International Donut Eating Championships...the only thing I am qualified for at this point. That's how it should be.

THEY HAVE THOSE?!?!?!?!?!? Where do I sign up?

July 1st, I'm buyng you donuts. 100% serious.

I'll trade you one for one of my Maple Leaf with red sprinkles cookies :D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Greatest player Canada has ever produced!!.....Defintly DP Material! :)

NF-FC
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
yah thats a good call i'll check it out...although i was hoping to maybe find a site that ships from our side of the pond to save on shipping.

i'm in the same boat, i'm trying to find a Monchengladbach Friend shirt

werewolf
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I checked out the Deportivo site, 80 Euros for his jersey, without shipping...Friend is 77.98 Euros without shipping...

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Myself, Julian, Jonathan and Atiba were at the game on Saturday in the box seats so he has seen what the fans do already but yeah go ahead.

Saturday was garbage...no atmosphere whatsoever. We've had much better games.

hamiltonfan
06-23-2008, 11:30 PM
theres gotta be some sort of chant started for the guy. he is leading our national team through the WCQ. Lets get something worked out wiht the Usector

SilverSamurai
06-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Saturday was garbage...no atmosphere whatsoever. We've had much better games.
He's commented on the atmosphere before. I'm sure he's been at a TFC game before as well.
Canada finest player!
Def. DP worthy!

SilverSamurai
06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I checked out the Deportivo site, 80 Euros for his jersey, without shipping...Friend is 77.98 Euros without shipping...
Group buy? ;)

$80?
I found it for 64 Euro.
http://www.lcoruna.net/EQUIPOS/E1equipaciondeportivolacoruna.htm
Still not cheap...

werewolf
06-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I will get a Friend national team jersey, discussion which can be seen here - http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2323 - before I get a 'Gladbach jersey.

edmundo
06-24-2008, 12:51 AM
To be honest, I'm kind of surprised no bigger clubs have come in for Jules this offseason. I've seen a couple of his teammates linked with Barca and Arsenal but nothing for Jules.... at least I haven't seen anything. I believe he's got one year left on his deal at Depor and the club's in big debt so I doubt they'd say no to any respectable offer. It would be pretty sweet to go out and pick up a JDG Barca shirt.

Anyone else think that he could become a true household name in Canada if he was transferred to one of the 4 big English clubs? Obviously the EPL is way more mainstream in Canada than La Liga and his visibility would be huge playing for one of those clubs. He's certainly the first Canadian international with the talent to do so.

to be honest i believe that for jdg to become truly a big name in this country he is going to have to lead canada to a world cup, then while at the world cup lead us to atleats the second round, the unfortunate thing with north american sports is they seem to only immortalize players when they play in games of that sort of magnitude and produce memorable results, donovan bailey anyone??

SilverSamurai
06-24-2008, 08:19 AM
to be honest i believe that for jdg to become truly a big name in this country he is going to have to lead canada to a world cup, then while at the world cup lead us to atleats the second round, the unfortunate thing with north american sports is they seem to only immortalize players when they play in games of that sort of magnitude and produce memorable results, donovan bailey anyone??
I hope you're wrong, but I agree.
I know a lot of people find it hard to believe me when I say a player on the national team plays for La Liga. They joke about him being a bench player but then are in shock when I tell them where he plays for. Although the La Liga glory hunters usually "pretend" to not care if it has nothing to do with Real Madrid or Barcelona. I do admit that beyond JDG, Real Madrid and Barcelona, I know next to nothing about La Liga. I do like Barcelona's kit though lol.:taz:

professor
06-24-2008, 10:04 PM
fyi...

my buddy had choice's for 24 tickets for Canada Day
he's bringing the team he coaches
East side, West side, Upper tier
all together, same section, 3 rows - 8 seats per row

also had options for the south end too
same section but spread out

ag futbol
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Ah man, keep the guy in Spain that's where his game belongs. He's a smooth technical player that can control the mid. England is too much run and gun, he'd get fouled out of the game too often.

I agree from a marketing standpoint he'd be better off in England. But even a name club like the big two in Spain would do the trick.

Heathen
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
If you're gonna have a dig at Jonathan while complimenting Julian how about this...

One De Guzman!
The other one's Dutch
And dead to us
Walking in a Julian wonderland

or to the tune of Vindaloo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1pXsJp_go)

Julian, Julian, Julian, Julian, Juliaaaaaan, Juliaaaaaa-aa-an
And we all love Julian... DE GUZMAN

Canary Canuck
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Ah man, keep the guy in Spain that's where his game belongs. He's a smooth technical player that can control the mid. England is too much run and gun, he'd get fouled out of the game too often.

I agree from a marketing standpoint he'd be better off in England. But even a name club like the big two in Spain would do the trick.

Just the guy Barcelona needs in their team's overhaul:canada: