PDA

View Full Version : Nearly Attacked by Scalpers 30 Minutes before Colorado Game

DOMIN8R
06-23-2008, 03:11 PM
I was heading to ward the Field with a friend and I had just come out from under the Go Train underpass, when I saw about 12 scalpers. One by one they each called to me “Buying? Selling?”. Some asked 3-4 times, like they were expecting me to reply. I kept walking along by the 7th time I was asked, I yelled back at one of them to “f*ck off and stop asking me you f*cking scalping scum”.

That was my first mistake. My second came less than 3 seconds later when 4-5 them heard me and replied with a barrage of obscenities. To which I replied “f*ck all of you assholes”. Then 5 of them started towards me with the usual aggressive posturing. No cops or security within an earshot, I kept walking toward the Field. One of them came right up to my face, called me a list of expletives and closed with the “I’m ready to dance, are you?” One of his friends grabbed his arm and told him “We’ll get him later”. Whatever that means.

That’s when I did something right. No 3 strikes for me that day. I kept walking and realized that as long as there are that many scalpers (I counted over 30 in the parking lot last Saturday at various entrances) getting hassled on the way to the game was now part of the new TFC Game Day normal routine. I guess I have to just take it and keep walking every game day.

MG42
06-23-2008, 03:15 PM
that sucks bro

Damien
06-23-2008, 03:18 PM
DOMIN8R...

not sure if it was you but I saw someone say something to a couple of scalpers and the scalper screamed back "Come over here and i'll break your f'ing jaw" bleep bleep etc etc

mighty_torontofc_2008
I was heading to ward the Field with a friend and I had just come out from under the Go Train underpass, when I saw about 12 scalpers. One by one they each called to me “Buying? Selling?”. Some asked 3-4 times, like they were expecting me to reply. I kept walking along by the 7th time I was asked, I yelled back at one of them to “f*ck off and stop asking me you f*cking scalping scum”.

That was my first mistake. My second came less than 3 seconds later when 4-5 them heard me and replied with a barrage of obscenities. To which I replied “f*ck all of you assholes”. Then 5 of them started towards me with the usual aggressive posturing. No cops or security within an earshot, I kept walking toward the Field. One of them came right up to my face, called me a list of expletives and closed with the “I’m ready to dance, are you?” One of his friends grabbed his arm and told him “We’ll get him later”. Whatever that means.

That’s when I did something right. No 3 strikes for me that day. I kept walking and realized that as long as there are that many scalpers (I counted over 30 in the parking lot last Saturday at various entrances) getting hassled on the way to the game was now part of the new TFC Game Day normal routine. I guess I have to just take it and keep walking every game day.

if they ask if you have extras just say im saving them for real supporters that need them...it usually keeps the quite silent.

H Bomb
Good on you for giving them hell dude. Travel in numbers and do more of it. I like to give the standard "does it look like i need tickets you ___ (weekly obscenity here). My size and generally looking like an asshole tends to keep them from coming after me. Keep it up though. Make their lives difficult. Dont let them win!

GabrielHurl
I saw cops writing a ticket for one on Saturday right outside the GO entrance

DOMIN8R
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
DOMIN8R...

not sure if it was you but I saw someone say something to a couple of scalpers and the scalper screamed back "Come over here and i'll break your f'ing jaw" bleep bleep etc etc

Yeah, that sounds like one of the many things that were said to me.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
as i said in another post, one has 13 tickets taken off him so the cops are clamping down, although i wonder what happen to the 13 tickets?

Jay P
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
sorry to hear that dude, wonder how tough they would be if they were confronted by a group of supporters

take their tickets and give them to real supporters.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
sorry to hear that dude, wonder how tough they would be if they were confronted by a group of supporters

take their tickets and give them to real supporters.

well when they see cops they take off like Ben johnson in 1988!!!

Parkdale
06-23-2008, 03:27 PM
no offense to you, but are you dumb?

does the natural human trait of self-preservation not exist in you?
Would you call on a bunch of organized criminals in another context?
Seems like the confrontation could have been avoided if you kept waking.

DOMIN8R
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
No offense taken. Your point is 100% valid. My emotions got the best of me. I can't really defend my actions, to be honest.

Richard D
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
^^^^
what parkdale said.

Damien
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Note to everyone... Parkdale is a scalper!! ;)

Oh wait, is parkdale gonna kick my ass now? lol

Razcle
06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
no offense to you, but are you dumb?

does the natural human trait of self-preservation not exist in you?
Would you call on a bunch of organized criminals in another context?
Seems like the confrontation could have been avoided if you kept waking.

Yah I somewhat have to agree. I just put my head down and hold up my hand to say not interested and they go off on their way. The last thing I would want is to draw attention to myself by those guys who probably get sneered at for the besst part of the pre game.

yellowfellow
06-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Since there are no supporter groups from the visiting teams, let's start some violence against scalpers!! I am just joking...

I had 2 extra tickets in the last minute that game. I tried to find somebody to take them but couldn't. So, I did something that I now regret. I went up to a scalpter and how much I could get for them. He said "$10 each." I replied "No." He then said "Go F*** yourself!!"

I hate scalpers!

Eastend
06-23-2008, 03:34 PM
It's unfortunate they are there but you are going in a bad direction with this....trust me. They are not going anywhere and their legions come out of the woodwork like cochroaches when provoked so please beware....seriously people, don't be stupid.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Most of them seemed pissed as they are not doing the business they had hoped,
the RPB ticket site just might be working.

NateDoGG
the hooli's should of gangbanged em

i would never let a scalper talk to me like that.

The Pope
I just sort of laugh and keep walking

it's good if it's true that the cops are busting them, though I've yet to see it

Bars92
06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
At the LA game I was having trouble picking up a ticket which I bought off a guy on e-bay (I eventually got it). So I asked a scalper "how much?"- out of desperation. He goes "$100 to get in today". I said "are you fucking serious mate?"...

NateDoGG
06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
[quote=Bars92;60211] He goes "$100 to get in today".quote]
well i guess if beckham was playin it would be worth it, but
i dunno why ppl think thats a crazy price, when i goto leafs games i pay twice that almost

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
i dunno why ppl think thats a crazy price, when i goto leafs games i pay twice that almost

but not from a scalper, they must mark up leafs tickets like crazy with the demand for them.

pekduck
06-23-2008, 03:45 PM
i wonder what kind of ticket will the scalpers get... can they file a trial date? cut a deal with prosecutors?

Bars92
06-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Yeah there is a markup on TFC tickets aswell unless you were smart enough to get seasons or get them from ticketmaster early. For sure if Beckham was playing it would be reasonable, the fact he wasn't was the sickening part.

NateDoGG
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
scalpers are like gamblers, they dont have a real job, ;)

BosakWBC
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
My Solution.

Designate a spot right near the ground where fans are able to see their tickets at face value, this is done at lots of places in the states and allows real fans to sell their tickets to other real fans at the correct price. It would be strictly enforced and anybody who tries to fuck with the system loses their right to tickets and their right to sell (just like the RPB ticket forum). Face value seats going to legit supporters, what a novel concept.

All it would take is a small fenced in area near the grounds that's monitered and strictly enforced.

BakaGaijin
06-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I saw cops writing a ticket for one on Saturday right outside the GO entrance

I think I saw the same dude. The cops actually had his hands tied behind his back with those plastic ties. The rest of the scalpers around the GO entrance had moved far away and were very discreet.

Good to see the popo finally doing something.

MartinUtd
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I had a similar incident at a concert a while back. I find its best just to pretend they don't exist. As much as I'd love to just crack one in the head with a bat, its simply not worth having to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life.

Stencils
06-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Definitely saw a crack down on the scalpers at the Kansas game. Saw at least two guys in the company of our friendly neighborhood cops.

yellowfellow
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
[quote=BakaGaijin;60232]I think I saw the same dude. The cops actually had his hands tied behind his back with those plastic ties. The rest of the scalpers around the GO entrance had moved far away and were very discreet. [quote]

I wish I was there to see it. I would start a chant on the spot, "Dig a hole, bury him"

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
[quote=BakaGaijin;60232]I think I saw the same dude. The cops actually had his hands tied behind his back with those plastic ties. The rest of the scalpers around the GO entrance had moved far away and were very discreet. [quote]

I wish I was there to see it. I would start a chant on the spot, "Dig a hole, bury him"

once they see cops they are gone....all thats need is one cop to walk between the go station and the bmo ticket office and that would be that.

James Oliphant
06-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Walked past one scalper on Saturday whose buddy warned him about cops approaching. He said, because he's obviously a bad-ass, "fuck the police!"

Not smart. That kinda got their attention.

I chuckled.

Steve-Tor
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Good for you mate.

Risky, but scalpers are the scum of the earth.

Well done:canada:

Heathen
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Scalpers are scum, not just for what they do but they seem to a man like total arseholes. Still the only thing you can do everything possible to ensure tickets never fall into their hands.

ExiledRed
06-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Rule #1 in the urban jungle.

If you dont relish the thought of violent confrontation, avoid using hostile language towards individuals you do not know.

MisterMacphisto
06-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I always give the scalper businesses when I'm not with my kids. At 6' 6" they don't act so tough.

FluSH
06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
This is unbelievable... I think now is the time that we need to organize ourselves and approach the club on solutions to stop scalping. If we don't do it... no other team in the city will.

Only in Toronto is it this bad... I've been to many road games in the U.S. and the scalping there is a minor problem (at least for MLS games)...however here in Toronto it's the same usual suspects x 10.

Goodfellas FC
06-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Only in Toronto is it this bad... I've been to many road games in the U.S. and the scalping there is a minor problem (at least for MLS games)...however here in Toronto it's the same usual suspects x 10.

what other mls city sells out every game??

tfc88
06-23-2008, 06:10 PM
not the smartest idea Hal, but you know what I'm glad these bastards are finding out what football fans are all about. I've shot my mouth off at them a few times, and even thought it's stupid, I felt a deep satisfaction for unsettling the assholes.

I too also noticed the police cracking down on scalpers.. hopefully the supporters groups, mlse and the police can work together on this one..

Toronto_Bhoy
06-23-2008, 06:11 PM
There are now plenty of cops around…politely approach one and say, "Those scalpers over there are hassling people coming out the tunnel”…

I did it before the Rapids game. I walk out the tunnel and 2 or 3 asked me in quick succession…Selling! Buying!…I said, “NO”. The guy right behind says, Selling? Buying! I said, “Are you deaf?” He tells me to fuck off. I walked over to a cop and said the “scalper” in the orange t-shirt is hassling supporters and using offensive language, there’s gonna be trouble, can you have a word?

Cop says thanks and he walks over…Toronto’s Finest at work.

If everyone POLITELY speaks to an officer every game they’ll move ‘em…

ALL TOGETHER! ALL TOGETHER!

olegunnar
06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Take one for the team!! MLSE could not care less about scalpers...but customer safety might get them to do something.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
^^BINGO Olegunner!

olegunnar
06-23-2008, 06:18 PM
It's getting worse and worse from a harassing standpoint
My fiancee and I didn't have both feet off the streetcar when the harassing started.
Who's got tickets? Who's selling tickets?

It's like running a gauntlet of agressive in your face types trying to get to the stadium

London
06-23-2008, 06:18 PM
^^^ exactly !!!
point them out!!!
they even stand under the princess gates waving seasons tix in the air at cars.
The government should pass a law that lets the cops arrest the scum and keep them (in a giant cage on display) untill after the event he is scalping tickets to is over.

Nomad
06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Honestly, i think some people give scalpers far more credit than they deserve...

Organized crime? Yeah, sure. But ffs it's not like they can magically get your sin card number, your address and fuck with you the rest of your life. These people are the lowest on the totem pole and are disposable...

You think if one of them fucked around that the cops wouldn't be there in a NY minute? or that fellow supporters coming out of those tunnels would just walk idly by??

I say good on ya. In fact, you may have inspired me to throw a few comments there way as i walk past them on game days as well.

canadian_bhoy
06-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Rule #1 in the urban jungle.

If you dont relish the thought of violent confrontation, avoid using hostile language towards individuals you do not know.

QFT, If you're going to run your mouth, you gotta back it up....or at least accept the fact that someone is going to punch you in the face.

London
06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
rule # 2 of the urban jungle

90% of people will avoid confrontation at all costs
8% are all talk

of the 2% left over
1% you can beat up
1% will shoot your in the face!!!! ( or kick your ass)

watch out for that 1%:):taz:

MEU
06-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Ask for a receipt when you buy a ticket from the scalper, and when he doesn't give you one (because he is obviously far from his office - the local watering hole), just call over one of the police officers and tell him the situation. This will kill "legitimate" volture "corporations".

Other than that, I'm glad business is not going well for them. we should organize a silent revolt by wearing shirts similar to "I'm with stupid --->" but with "This Scalper's in MAFIA --->" instead.

GrimsbyTown
06-23-2008, 07:03 PM
LOL, my wife bought me Leafs vs. Montreal once. She had never been to a game, so as we walked up to the ACC, and ran the gauntlet of annoying as heck escaped from the trailer-park carnies, my wife turns to me and asks "Why are all scalpers dirt-bags?" I looked around at all the scalpers and she was right. All prime-time dirt-bags.

You guys should just yell back at them "SHOWERS! Who wants a SHOWER! We got SHOWERS over here!!! YOU! You need a shower?? LAUNDRY! Need LAUNDRY?? Who needs laundry?? Toothbrush!!! WHO needs a TOOTHBRUSH!! YOU! ~point at one~ You need a toothbrush???etc........"

werewolf
06-23-2008, 07:28 PM
You guys should just yell back at them "SHOWERS! Who wants a SHOWER! We got SHOWERS over here!!! YOU! You need a shower?? LAUNDRY! Need LAUNDRY?? Who needs laundry?? Toothbrush!!! WHO needs a TOOTHBRUSH!! YOU! ~point at one~ You need a toothbrush???etc........"

http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/fig/ROFLMAO.jpg

DOMIN8R
06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
There are now plenty of cops around…politely approach one and say, ....

I like that!

DOMIN8R
06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
QFT, If you're going to run your mouth, you gotta back it up....or at least accept the fact that someone is going to punch you in the face.

Again, the anger just got the best of me. It could have ended much worse. No question.

King Tut
06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
When they ask you to xsell/buy tickets, point to your scarves and ask them the same back lol...

I've seen people mocking them "Northend Elite scarf..20 bucks, 20 bucks...Selling? buying?" :D

fucking priceless:D

James Oliphant
06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Again, the anger just got the best of me. It could have ended much worse. No question.

Next time, make sure the Nasquach is with you.

No one fucks with a Dich-head.

KdotOdot
06-23-2008, 08:08 PM
rule # 2 of the urban jungle

90% of people will avoid confrontation at all costs
8% are all talk

of the 2% left over
1% you can beat up
1% will shoot your in the face!!!! ( or kick your ass)

watch out for that 1%:):taz:

HE said it not me!!

1%

Batman
06-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Wow Hal!

I'm pretty sure I read on your Certified Management Consultant Code of Ethics that you're not supposed get yourself killed.(unless it's for a better reason than this.)

I suggest a different route to the game for a game or so, or at least don't wear your normal cowboy hat.

TorCanSoc
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Scalpers are pretty much street people. But I think they make good coin. Tax free income, the hours are good (read minimal), the only prerequisite is that you have a few teeth missing.

One gave me the "need tickets man?" query. I was a jays game, I was headed back to the office after lunch, I said "sorry man, I've to get back to work". He went off on me like "Yeah, go back to your stupid phkn job. Your stupid phkn 9-5 dead-end no-life piss-shit'n job" My only question is.... how did he know?!! :))

True story, I guess he thought I meant I got a job, and you don't. Most of these guys have some serious issues, I'd steer clear of them. Let them beat the sh*t out of each other.

egoodwin
06-23-2008, 08:27 PM
they are just as bad as panhandlers in downtown toronto...

egoodwin
06-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Really I am walking towards the stadium in my TFC kit, with scarf around the neck and few flags in my hand... Yes, I'm so going to sell my ticket to a scalper and go and watch the game at home... Really how stupid are they?

zeelaw
06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Just make sure you walk with RPB now, see if they talk to you then.

TorCanSoc
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
No. There was some stupid rule a while back about if they ask to buy tickets its ok? Something like that. I don't quite remember it. They really aren't asking to buy tickets, they're just chattering to let you know they are scalpers.

WHat I don't get is, whey do they scalp at Jays games? Aren't game tix always available, at like, Pizza Pizza or something? How do they make money on the jays.

David
06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
No. There was some stupid rule a while back about if they ask to buy tickets its ok? Something like that. I don't quite remember it. They really aren't asking to buy tickets, they're just chattering to let you know they are scalpers.

WHat I don't get is, whey do they scalp at Jays games? Aren't game tix always available, at like, Pizza Pizza or something? How do they make money on the jays.

Yeah, i heard about that rule to, for some reason if they just say "BUYING tickets" and not selling, the cops can't bug em about it or something. Not sure if that's still in play but i know this theory has been around for awhile. But honestly, these people are fuckign annoying sometimes. As soon as you walk out of the GO station doors theres about 6 or 7 just asking. Last game one guy got asked by 5 people all he said was "holy fuck...i have my ticket in my hand why are they asking me? to his buddy half laughing probably at how ridiculous they are and one scalper turned around and was just like "no need to be mouthy, ill wipe that smirk right off your fucking face" but the guy and his friends just kept on moving. Which is the right thing to do at the end of the day, yes they're fucking annoying but their fucking crazy at the same time most of them.

Parkdale
06-23-2008, 08:48 PM
If the city can pass a law to outlaw 'aggressive panhandling'
then I'm sure they can do something about 'aggressive scalpers'

noochie
06-23-2008, 09:01 PM

They still get group rates on good seats and sell "below face value" which isn't really below face value because they paid the group rate. Jays tickets are pocket change to fill the void between hockey seasons :) I am assuming

T_Mizz
06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
as i said in another post, one has 13 tickets taken off him so the cops are clamping down, although i wonder what happen to the 13 tickets?
I Saw a cop that morning and he asked where I was sitting he said he was going to be at the game but i didn't find out where...

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I Saw a cop that morning and he asked where I was sitting he said he was going to be at the game but i didn't find out where...

i sure they need them for evidance.....but it makes you think...the way to beat a scalper...take his tickets off them!!

tfc88
06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Really I am walking towards the stadium in my TFC kit, with scarf around the neck and few flags in my hand... Yes, I'm so going to sell my ticket to a scalper and go and watch the game at home... Really how stupid are they?

lol exactly.. what bugs me the most though is their freakin audacity..

I don't like thugs hanging out on my (our) corner, acting like they own the place. I agree though unless you're the kind to thoroughly enjoy a good scrap, and have been trained to take a knife off an attacker using your shirt, I'd suggest going to a cop and getting him to deal with their case.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 09:18 PM
They still get group rates on good seats and sell "below face value" which isn't really below face value because they paid the group rate. Jays tickets are pocket change to fill the void between hockey seasons :) I am assuming

thats how a friend of mine works it, he as 12 seasons pass and gets them at a low prive then adds a profit on them depending on whose in town, you can';t charge the same for the Oakland A's as compared to the Yankees or red sox..but he makes out ok either way. but then again het gets stuck and takes a loss, not a business i would like or want to be in too much of a gamble.

RedRum
06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
I got into it with one scalper the week before vs Colorado. Coming out of the GO train tunnel the guy asked me for a smoke. Typically I just ignore their "you want tickets, you selling tickets" pitch, but something about a guy marking up his tickets several hundred percent but not willing to buy his own damn cigarettes just rubbed me the wrong way.

I turned to him and started chanting (screaming really) "Not for a scalper, not for a scalper" complete with arm chopping motion to the tune of the referee's a wanker. He advances on me aggressively and says "there's 30 other guys on the way to the stadium are you going to yell at them too?"

To which I replied "naw just you, fucking cunt."

We should verbally abuse them at any opportunity. If one of them was stupid enough to physically go at a fan in an area where there is never a cop more than 100 feet away and a ton of potential witnesses, the cops would have no choice but to come down HARD on them anywhere near the stadium.

yellowfellow
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
I think they are more organized than we think. One of them gave me his business card before the Rapids game. I threw it away after. I should've kept it and call him when I can't fall asleep at night or during my usual midnight pee break or, even better, when I get up at 7am and tell him to go to work.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
lol exactly.. what bugs me the most though is their freakin audacity..

I don't like thugs hanging out on my (our) corner, acting like they own the place. I agree though unless you're the kind to thoroughly enjoy a good scrap, and have been trained to take a knife off an attacker using your shirt, I'd suggest going to a cop and getting him to deal with their case.

but someone must be selling to them to begin with..they seem to have lots of tickets and they all can't own all the seats...or can they?

MFBODD
06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I assume this is part of the appeal of selling tickets for the Jays, Argos, Rock...

If people have $40 seats to a Jays game and want something for them fast they can sell them to a scalper for say, $15 each. That same scalper can then ask $35 for each ticket, which is under face and I believe legal. As a fan,why wait in line to buy tickets at face value when you get in for cheaper, so you buy from the scalper. You offer $30 just so you get a deal. The scalper makes $15 on a $15 investment, which isn't bad at all...but I'm sure they clear more than 100% profit.

Best thing to do with these guys is ignore them and walk on. They aren't running the show anyway.

TFC-Tyler
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
good on ya

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
If the city can pass a law to outlaw 'aggressive panhandling' then I'm sure they can do something about 'aggressive scalpers'

Actually, the 'aggressive panhandling' law is a provincial statute. Given that the province has already outlawed scalping (the Ticket Speculation Act makes it illegal to buy or sell a ticket at higher than face value), I don't see much hope for additional legal relief for 'aggressive scalping'.

Anyhoo, Parkie's correct that aggressive scalping is no worse than aggressive panhandling, and luckily the law agrees with him. The conduct described on this board is also "outlawed" by the Safe Streets Act of Ontario:

No person shall solicit in an aggressive manner

“solicit” means to request, in person, the immediate provision of money or another thing of value, regardless of whether consideration is offered or provided in return, using the spoken, written or printed word, a gesture or other means.

“aggressive manner” means a manner that is likely to cause a reasonable person to be concerned for his or her safety or security.

[A] person who engages in one or more of the following activities shall be deemed to be "soliciting in an aggressive manner":
1. Threatening the person solicited with physical harm, by word, gesture or other means, during the solicitation or after the person solicited responds or fails to respond to the solicitation.
2. Obstructing the path of the person solicited during the solicitation or after the person solicited responds or fails to respond to the solicitation.
3. Using abusive language during the solicitation or after the person solicited responds or fails to respond to the solicitation.
4. Proceeding behind, alongside or ahead of the person solicited during the solicitation or after the person solicited responds or fails to respond to the solicitation.
5. Soliciting while intoxicated by alcohol or drugs.
6. Continuing to solicit a person in a persistent manner after the person has responded negatively to the solicitation.

So, in addition to being in violation of the law for attempting to sell you tickets above face value, scalpers are also in violation of the law if they (1) swear at you, (2) threaten you, (3) block your path, (4) follow you or (5) otherwise solicit you "in a manner that is likely to cause a reasonable person to be concerned for his or her safety or security".

Of course, it is arguable (and I have argued the point on several occasions) that the conduct with which this law purports to deal is already covered by the criminal law (i.e. assault). But somehow I can't seem to muster very much concern for the civil rights of scalpers. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Meh...

Cashcleaner
06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
There are now plenty of cops around…politely approach one and say, "Those scalpers over there are hassling people coming out the tunnel”…

I did it before the Rapids game. I walk out the tunnel and 2 or 3 asked me in quick succession…Selling! Buying!…I said, “NO”. The guy right behind says, Selling? Buying! I said, “Are you deaf?” He tells me to fuck off. I walked over to a cop and said the “scalper” in the orange t-shirt is hassling supporters and using offensive language, there’s gonna be trouble, can you have a word?

Spotted the same thing happen myself as well. I think the cops on the beat would much rather concentrate their attention on the scalpers rather than ticket our tailgaters, and it's probably just a loophole where they can only step in if there is a complaint made. You made a complaint and they stepped in.

Steve-Tor
06-24-2008, 07:03 AM
They are run by businessmen most of them. They have offices downtown.

The guy becomes a ticket broker. He buys the tickets at face or less from season ticket holders. Then he sends his scum out to sell them for what he thinks he can get.

Because he is running a legitimate business he can charge a service and handling fee much like Ticketmaster does. If that service fee is $200 a ticket or whatever, so be it. I got kicked out of a seat at Skydome years ago during the ALCS because we were in somebody's seat. I had just paid $445.00 for three tickets in the 200's. I went to the guys office the next day at Bay and Wellesley and got my money back. Still, I missed the game and felt like a right tit when the woman came down with the cops and said I stole her tickets:o

T_Mizz
06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
i sure they need them for evidance.....but it makes you think...the way to beat a scalper...take his tickets off them!!
But after they're evidence they're tickets again aren't they? so why not before its not like they have to rip something off it or something

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 07:58 AM
But somehow I can't seem to muster very much concern for the civil rights of scalpers. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Meh...

http://www.iphoneworld.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/lionel-hutz-iphone.gif

Oldtimer
06-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Scalping is illegal.
The cops are there to stop illegal activity.
Tell a cop. Don't take the law into your own hands.
Simple.

MG42
06-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Scalping is illegal.
Simple.

end thread...I can't take it anymore :)

pat416
06-24-2008, 08:22 AM
I think they are more organized than we think. One of them gave me his business card before the Rapids game. I threw it away after. I should've kept it and call him when I can't fall asleep at night or during my usual midnight pee break or, even better, when I get up at 7am and tell him to go to work.

Ahahah i just lOL in the middle of my work, i love the last line!!

Yea whn iwas on the streetcar this guy infront of me steps off and right away starts yelling " Buying Selling" these guys are crazy and i say jut ignore them. :canada:

pat416
06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Scalping is illegal.
Simple.

Yea this is the Answer, But good on you for chirping them Parkdale:taz:

pat416
06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
woops i mean Domin8or**

blackandwhite
06-24-2008, 08:27 AM
how hard is it to just walk by them without having any interaction?

Shaughno
06-24-2008, 08:31 AM
^^ Exactly, just ignore them. Or, if you really want to make them mad do what my buddy did.

"Yo man, how do you become a scalper"
"Huh?"
"I want to become a scalper"
"Yeah, ok"
"No, I'm serious... who do I gotta talk to?"
"Fuck off, I don't know what you're talking about"

**Walks away before pulling his wad of tickets out and trying to scalp them on the opposite corner.**

:rofl: He was pretty angry about it though. :lol:

T0R0NT0 FC
06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Since there are no supporter groups from the visiting teams, let's start some violence against scalpers!! I am just joking...

I had 2 extra tickets in the last minute that game. I tried to find somebody to take them but couldn't. So, I did something that I now regret. I went up to a scalpter and how much I could get for them. He said "$10 each." I replied "No." He then said "Go F*** yourself!!"

I hate scalpers!

Shitty... my friend had to buy two tickets off scalpers... :(

brad
06-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Here is a way to really want to get under their skin (assuming you have tickets to sell). Try selling them at face value around the scalpers (a sign saying tickets for sale at face value). Scalpers will descend on you, threaten you, ect. Go find a cop, tell them you were harassed by scalpers. Repeat as needed.

dupont
06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
how hard is it to just walk by them without having any interaction?

Funny thing is one time I walked by a scalper on my way to a Jays game and I said nothing like I always do. So the scalper turns to me and says "Oh you think you are too good to acknowledge me, you piece of shit? The least you could do is say you don't want the tickets, fuck head"

I guess sometimes even ignoring them can't work. Maybe it depends how much meth they smoked the night before.

blackandwhite
06-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Funny thing is one time I walked by a scalper on my way to a Jays game and I said nothing like I always do. So the scalper turns to me and says "Oh you think you are too good to acknowledge me, you piece of shit? The least you could do is say you don't want the tickets, fuck head"

I guess sometimes even ignoring them can't work. Maybe it depends how much meth they smoked the night before.

Noone of these idiots have talked to me like that yet. I seem to have come across the more polite ones.

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
I seem to have come across the more polite ones.

me either. some are a bit more annoying than others,
but I've never seen them keep pestering after a simple 'no thanks'.

side note:

I went to a Gypsy Kings concert at the Hummingbird center a few years ago
and there was a dude scalping outside. I wanted to laugh at him for being there,
but he probably wouldn't have found it so funny.

H Bomb
06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Scalpers are by definition scumbags. They make money by reselling things at inflated prices. This takes zero skill on any level. It's cancerous capitalism and anyone who makes their lives worse on any level gets a big okay by me. I conciously bark at a couple scalpers every game just to get my heart going and wish more people would do the same. They are the bottom of the barrel. These guys are a huge part of the problem inside the stadium as well. And the police are spending too much time ticketing us for our non violent by-law offending. Fuck the scalpers, make sure they know what they are.

jabbronies
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
They are getting lippy these days. I usually just completly ignore them, won't even make eye contect with them.

The only "run-in" with them I had was last year. I had two extra tickets to the game and I wanted to sell them at face value to a genuine person looking for tickets.
Scalper guy comes over and asks to see them and purchase them off of me. I just told him i wasn't selling to scalpers. He wasn't too pleased with that response. he just gave me a dirty look and walked off.

905shmick
06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Noone of these idiots have talked to me like that yet. I seem to have come across the more polite ones.

I guess you give off the scalper vibe :)

Steve-Tor
06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Scalpers are by definition scumbags. They make money by reselling things at inflated prices. This takes zero skill on any level. It's cancerous capitalism and anyone who makes their lives worse on any level gets a big okay by me. I conciously bark at a couple scalpers every game just to get my heart going and wish more people would do the same. They are the bottom of the barrel. These guys are a huge part of the problem inside the stadium as well. And the police are spending too much time ticketing us for our non violent by-law offending. Fuck the scalpers, make sure they know what they are.

Well said:canada:

Chevy
06-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Scalpers are a disgusting species, aren't they?

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Don’t hate the player, hate the game man. They’re dirt no doubt but whose fault is it that they are allowed to do it with relative ease from by-law enforcers or from loathing STHs in the first place? Prostitution is the oldest occupation in the world but shouldn’t be seen as the problem. It’s the people who use that should be admonished when buying inflated tickets. It only drives up our season tix.

Solution = Stop issuing individual tickets to season ticket holders and issue a plastic credit card styled membership that is swiped when entering games. Problem solved.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Actually, the problem is that these scalper buyers are amongst the supporters. This is BMOs problem to address.

denime
06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Don’t hate the player, hate the game man. They’re dirt no doubt but whose fault is it that they are allowed to do it with relative ease from by-law enforcers or from loathing STHs in the first place? Prostitution is the oldest occupation in the world but shouldn’t be seen as the problem. It’s the people who use that should be admonished when buying inflated tickets. It only drives up our season tix.

Solution = Stop issuing individual tickets to season ticket holders and issue a plastic credit card styled membership that is swiped when entering games. Problem solved.
That would be the best way to make them disappear.:hump:

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM

those always could be auctioned off as well, there is no cure to scalping,
if you have extras use the RPB site, although im not sure even that is 100% scalper free. someone posing as a fan could get tickets No?

denime
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
if you have extras use the RPB site, although im not sure even that is 100% scalper free. someone posing as a fan could get tickets No?

Yes, they can be auctioned,but in that case you would have same people in those seats for whole season and that would change atmosphere too.Now we have every game different fans in those scalpers seats.

Blazer

There might be 200 people who are on this board on a regular basis, not 20,000. 15,000 people don’t even know this board exists and another 2,000 barely use it. That won’t help either.

You can’t auction off a single card that is your key to admittance. If you sell it off by way of auction that means someone has bought the card for the season and has just become a season ticket holder and more importantly, a true supporter.

Parkdale

I don't think that would work.

If I had my entire season loaded on to a swipe card, I guarantee it would get lost. Plus then it would be impossible to give away a ticket to a friend unless you handed off your whole season to him. If it was a membership card + ticket situation, then I'd have to loan the card to a friend, which would put me a risk for having the card taken away for misuse.

Mojo
06-24-2008, 11:45 AM
One time I was walking to a Jays game, and there was an Il Divo concert at the ACC. There was about 15 scalpers sayin "I got Il Divo tickets, who needs Il Divo, buying selling Il Divo?"

Don't know how this is relevant, its just funny.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Oh, and for all those mush-heads that would complain about having only one card where there’s a very real chance of losing/ misplacing it…they could issue two cards where the second will void the first when/if used. If you lose two well then you’re just a clusterfuck of a person?!

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM

If I had my entire season loaded on to a swipe card, I guarantee it would get lost. Plus then it would be impossible to give away a ticket to a friend unless you handed off your whole season to him. If it was a membership card + ticket situation, then I'd have to loan the card to a friend, which would put me a risk for having the card taken away for misuse.

Then so be it. There's no compromise to ridding scalpers here. It’s all or nothing.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I’d rather have your seat empty then filled with a scalped ticket.

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
…they could issue two cards where the second will void the first when/if used.

and right there..... is double their costs.

If the teams REALLY wanted to stop scalping, and would be willing to PAY to do something about it, then it would have been done ages ago. If they feel that safeguarding their product isn't worth the extra cash, then we wont ever see changes. Only the teams can stop scalping.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
a card with a photo id on it might be possible, i would have no problems goiing down and having my picture taken to protect my tickets...

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
a card with a photo id on it might be possible, i would have no problems goiing down and having my picture taken to protect my tickets...

see that's the whole thing..... it's not YOUR tickets that end up in scalpers hands.
Even if we'd all be willing to get retina-scans or something equally invasive,
the people who supply scalpers will still find a way to get the tickets out there.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
The teams don’t give a rats ass, neither does BMO management. I agree that the onus is on BMO field management/ ticket people to address but they don’t see the frustration the way we do. They see it as harmless so long as people aren’t paying scalpers too much. Even then it works into their favour because when scalpers are making money then they renew at higher costs causing STH prices to swell.

Issuing 2 plastic credit card styled tickets does not cost them anymore than the cardboard prints that they make now. In fact, it has to be cheaper. They just don’t care enough to address a problem that to us seems significant but to them is no big deal.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Nah, no pic. Just a simple card that comes with the package the same way the 15% off discount card came. That's all that's needed.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 11:57 AM
see that's the whole thing..... it's not YOUR tickets that end up in scalpers hands.
Even if we'd all be willing to get retina-scans or something equally invasive,
the people who supply scalpers will still find a way to get the tickets out there.

The remaining 6,000 non-STH seats should be designated in one area of the stadium. The other 14,000 STH should occupy the balance. The issue is the mixture of the two and the drastic negative impact that it has on atmosphere.

Blazer
06-24-2008, 12:00 PM
There's really 2 issues here that are the result of one cause:

Issue #1: Overpriced scalped tickets and scalpers in general
Issue #2: Mixture of both STH and individually purchased tix (non-everygamers)

Just keep them segregated in the stadium?! Eventually 20,000 season tickets will sold, no?

Oldtimer
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Isn't it time for someone to jump in here defending "free enterprise" by scalpers? :lol:

Blazer
06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Every one of those fuckers could disappear tomorrow without a trace and I wouldn't question anything. I agree with whoever said that TPS is wasting their time enforcing by-laws to harmless supporters while these jerk-offs are gouging left and right. Choke on a cock, every damn one of them!

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Isn't it time for someone to jump in here defending "free enterprise" by scalpers? :lol:

not really the issue here. normally when we talk about scalpers,
someone will bring up that point, but this is about just how damn
rude of of them can be, which is really inexcusable. jerks!~

Blazer
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Rude? How are they any different from a car salesman? At least scalpers take “no” for an answer. It’s a matter of perception I suppose.

They need to be ridded is the issue. Then we wouldn’t have guys starting threads about being attacked.

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Rude? How are they any different from a car salesman? At least scalpers take “no” for an answer. It’s a matter of perception I suppose.

I don't know about you.... but I've only seen car salesmen at car dealerships.

I this case, it would be like getting pestered on the on-ramp before merging into the 401.

Shaughno
06-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Annnnd you know selling cars through a dealership is usually legal. :lol:

Parkdale
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
pssst buddy. wanna buy a corolla?

who's buying? Who's selling? Upgrade to an SUV!

Blazer
06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
“Oh and unfortunately the government of this beautiful province has levied this mysterious $2,500 charge. And of course, the Feds want a piece of the pie so that bring the grand total of your ’92 Honda Civic hatchback to an even $25,000 sir.”

But the signs says $14,999???

FluSH
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Ok, so I have not read through the entire thread... however in the likelihood that one fan gets seriously hurt by these scalpers... would MLSE and can MLSE be held responsible for turning a blind eye and allowing them to loiter within the premises of BMO Field?

Blazer
06-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Ok, so I have not read through the entire thread... however in the likelihood that one fan gets seriously hurt by these scalpers... would MLSE and can MLSE be held responsible for turning a blind eye and allowing them to loiter within the premises of BMO Field?

How is scalping in America viewed socially? Is it ignored as a crime and seen as relatively harmless or do they go after these guys vigilantly?

My guess is that MLSE would claim it to be on city property and should therefore be dealt with appropriately by city police?! I dunno.

Bloor West FC
06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
It would be nice to get all the supporter groups together and chant against the scalpers before a game!! Make them red faced and have all the attention of fans and cops looking right at them!! Fans agreeing with us and cops most likly aswell agreeing with us.

Wouldnt that be such a great day!! Imagine 100 or more people chanting against them. Oh letthe day dreaming begin!!!!!!!!

AL-MO
06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
It would be nice to get all the supporter groups together and chant against the scalpers before a game!! Make them red faced and have all the attention of fans and cops looking right at them!! Fans agreeing with us and cops most likly aswell agreeing with us.

Wouldnt that be such a great day!! Imagine 100 or more people chanting against them. Oh letthe day dreaming begin!!!!!!!!

I was thinking about this yesterday. Some kind of United display from all of the Supporter's groups that we fucking hate scalpers. We could maybe do a t-shirt. I am sure they wouldn't feel too comfortable with a couple hundred supporters chanting and yelling at them.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
During weekend matches im there roughly 4 hrs before game time, weeknights up to 5-6 hts before game time and the scalpers are already there, they are not going away, im sure they just get a fine, and they can get that payed off with a good selling event, TFC match, concert,etc. Best would be to ignore them and not if possible use their "SERVICES".

Richard D
06-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Hopefully MLSE doesnt think that scalper money could be theres and start selling seat licenses for our seats...

If they think the scalpers are making $4000 per seat by scalping, expect a $2000 seat license to rain down on all of us in the next few years

Oldtimer
06-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Scalpers are more like the guys who "offer" to clean your windshield at intersections.

Mark in Ottawa
06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
You could always just tell the scalpers that buying from them is illegal... or better yet tell the nearest cop.
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2398

Maybe we should tell the owners/managers of the ground that the scalpers are using that they are aiding/abetting criminal activity and the attempted enticement of others to join in a criminal enterprise. I wonder if they would care... probably not.

Blazer
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
You could always just tell the scalpers that buying from them is illegal... or better yet tell the nearest cop.

Maybe we should tell the owners/managers of the ground that the scalpers are using that they are aiding/abetting criminal activity and the attempted enticement of others to join in a criminal enterprise. I wonder if they would care... probably not.

It’s not illegal to buy or sell scalped tickets. It’s only illegal to sell them when they are beyond face value. This is why it is difficult to report because it comes down to a he said she said kinda deal. Undercovers will rid the problem but that is 1) expensive and 2) unimportant to TPS.

Mark in Ottawa
06-25-2008, 12:50 PM
It’s not illegal to buy or sell scalped tickets. It’s only illegal to sell them when they are beyond face value. This is why it is difficult to report because it comes down to a he said she said kinda deal. Undercovers will rid the problem but that is 1) expensive and 2) unimportant to TPS.
Splitting hairs here. We are talking about those individuals who are selling tickets above face value and this is undoutedly the majority of the buyers/sellers outside of the venues.

I mean lets get real here... when was the last time you walked by a bunch of scalpers and heard anyone calling out "selling at cost here!" :smilielol5:

Super
06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Splitting hairs here. We are talking about those individuals who are selling tickets above face value and this is undoutedly the majority of the buyers/sellers outside of the venues.

I mean lets get real here... when was the last time you walked by a bunch of scalpers and heard anyone calling out "selling at cost here!" :smilielol5:

And especially the ones holding a stack of tickets. But I guess according to the law they are not doing anything wrong until they actually ask for the inflated cost.

nascarguy
06-26-2008, 09:36 PM

I say this now if this bull shit does not stop I will stop going to games and thow out all banners but i will give thim 4 years to clean up or i will just walk away !!

Blazer
06-26-2008, 09:41 PM

I’m just saying you’d look awfully silly barking “that’s illegal” at a stranger buying a ticket from a scalper when it’s really not. And yes, you can buy a ticket for 5 bucks more than face value right before kick-off so they’re not making much more than that on the final rid-outs.

OneLoveOneEric
06-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Good Lord, this thread keeps coming up.
THis won't go away.
MLSE loves having scalpers buy tickets.
Cops don't care about it.
Ignore them.

London
06-28-2008, 10:14 AM
fuck if U think these guys are scum, take a look at some of the ticket broker sites out there!!!
and it is all perfectly legal, even ticketmaster has bought one of the companies!

check out stubhub

Time Left to Purchase: 18d 1h 42m
Details
San Jose Earthquakes at Toronto FC Tickets

Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM (EST) at BMO Field (National Soccer Stadium) in Toronto, ON (http://www.stubhub.com/bmo-field-tickets/details/?venue_config_ID=100087)

Section:
Lower Endline 117 - Supporters Section

Row:

Price:
$159.00 each
Quantity: 246

Seller comments: SOUTH END NEAR SUPP SECTION
Delivery/Pickup: FedEx 2 Day - Intra Canada
Other delivery options may also be available.

http://www.stubhub.com/data/venue_maps/89595/thumb/stubhub_100087_mls_BMOField_400.png View Seat Map (http://www.stubhub.com/toronto-fc-tickets/toronto-fc-vs-earthquakes-7-19-2008-572810/?ticket_id=136370677#) >

* Event time subject to change. Check local listings for exact start time. All sales are final.

http://www.stubhub.com/promotions/scratch/common/expert_advice_tickdet1.gif
.helpCenterText a {display:block; color:Black; padding:0px 4px 8px 6px; text-decoration:none;}.helpCenterText a:link {display:block; color:Black; padding:0px 4px 8px 6px; text-decoration:none;}.helpCenterText a:hover {display:block; text-decoration:underline;}.helpCenterText a:visited {display:block; color:Black; padding:0px 4px 8px 4px; text-decoration:none;}http://www.stubhub.com/promotions/scratch/common/ticket-details-help-center1.gif
Where are the seat numbers? (http://www.stubhub.com/help-top-questions-buyer) Will all of my seats be together? (http://www.stubhub.com/help-top-questions-buyer) What is a confirmed order? (http://www.stubhub.com/help-top-questions-buyer) What are StubHub's services and what are the fees? (http://www.stubhub.com/help-top-questions-buyer) Get more help > (http://www.stubhub.com/help/)

ExiledRed
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Good Lord, this thread keeps coming up.
THis won't go away.
MLSE loves having scalpers buy tickets.
Cops don't care about it.
Ignore them.

Har Har, Eric!

Is it your job to tell people to stop talking about things?

It seems that whenever something is bothering somebody else, you pop up and say "Oh, this is old news, its not going to change, its not going to stop, so lets just stop talking about it."

Are you afraid that 'ze nazis' are going to come down on us if people debate the issues that are bothering them?

I mean seriously, what is it to you or anybody else if this topic keeps resurfacing, would you prefer a new thread on the matter to show up every day?

colman1860
06-28-2008, 10:34 AM

I dont think it would get lost. Do you lose your credit card and drivers license all the time? It would just be in your wallet like any other card.

Red CB Toronto
06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Scalpers are just crazy at times, I really wonder when something might just happen that puts the situation right over the edge.

FluSH
06-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Soooo.... what are the chances of getting attacked this Tuesday?! and is MLSE turning their heads away from the whole situation?... It's just going to get worse and worse in my opinion.