PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Union v Celtic (r)

Blizzard
07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
A bit of a surprise as the first year Union score the only goal, a Le Toux marker in the 23rd minute, to defeat Celtic 1 nil in the first game of their pre-season North American tour.

The clean sheet was the first in the brief history of the Philadelphia side.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15072010/58/spl-celtic-sunk-philadelphia.html

Azerban
07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
ahahaha scottish "football"

habstfc
07-15-2010, 12:36 AM
That's what happens when you let basketball players play soccer.....

MartinUtd
07-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Now that Celtic lost to PU I think we can put to rest the notion of getting any more players from the SPL.

Blizzard
07-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Now that Celtic lost to PU I think we can put to rest the notion of getting any more players from the SPL.

Well, not from Celtic anyway. :D

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Celtic were two weeks into their preseason and this was their first game, they only had a football out about one week ago for the first time.. They were playing a team that is half way through their season and celtic had last played at the start of May. Celtic also played only about half of their first team. I am not making excuses, these are facts. If you want to judge Scottish football and Celtic on this result under those circumstances then you are either ignorant or simply dont know much about football?

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 06:15 AM
ahahaha scottish "football"

Scottish football is ranked way higher than Canadian, last check we were ranked 41 in the world above some pretty decent international teams. That is not bad for a country of 5m. A few years ago we were placed about 15th, of course Canada struggles to break the 100. No offense to Canadians but lets not go bad mouthing nations that are placed higher than you as it makes you look stupid.

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 06:18 AM

Yep because no players in the SPL could cut it in the MLS which is so bad at times it is almost impossible to take enjoyment from a TFC away game on the TV. With some of the crap I see week in and week out in the TFC team and other teams I can assure you that good players from the SPL could make it in the MLS.

Oldtimer
07-16-2010, 08:18 AM
How about Scottish managers?

If our next GM is Scottish, please let it be Sir Alex, or similar quality. The current one reflects badly on Scottish Football.

brad
07-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Makes sense. I know when DC United beat Real Madrid a few years ago, it certainly put to rest the notion of getting any top La Liga players...:hump:

I'm still sort of surprised that Madrid didn't sign Esky after scoring the winning goal though.

Seriously though, anyone who reads anything into the results of pre-season matches should stop. It means nothing.

LesH
07-16-2010, 08:43 AM
These friendlies are ridiculous, because while the results for the touring teams (in pre-season) and there fans means shit, the host teams are making big fuss about the games, and feel proud as hell if by mistake they can get a win there and there...

MartinUtd
07-16-2010, 08:58 AM
HAHAHA.. look at you guys getting your knickers in a twist. I was joking.

Pachuco
07-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Celtic were two weeks into their preseason and this was their first game, they only had a football out about one week ago for the first time.. They were playing a team that is half way through their season and celtic had last played at the start of May. Celtic also played only about half of their first team. I am not making excuses, these are facts. If you want to judge Scottish football and Celtic on this result under those circumstances then you are either ignorant or simply dont know much about football?

Sorry buddy, the truth is, Celtic should NEVER lose to the worst team in the MLS. Sorry, but that's a fact.

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry buddy, the truth is, Celtic should NEVER lose to the worst team in the MLS. Sorry, but that's a fact.

With all due respect that is a load of crap and certainly not a fact. How much do you even know about Celtic, how much do you know about the team we put out, not very much I would think? If you said a full fit celtic half way through their season versus the Philidelphia equivalent then I would agree but not when they are two weeks into a preseason and have a disjointed team. If your players are not 100% fit then it means that they will be second to every single ball which celtic were. Fitness and match sharpness plays a massive part int he success of a football team as does knowing the players around you which was also a strain for Celtic as they fielded a team which contained many reserves, young kids and players coming back from injury. Here is an example of some of the players who played:

Cervi - was 3rd place goal keeper. First ever firsat team appearance.

Misun - First game back from injury after being off for a year, I think this was his first team outing, certainly never more than 3 first team appearances.

Hooiveld - 1st game coming back from long term injury

Pat McCourt - reserve team player

Paul McGowan - reserve striker

That was just from the team that started. We also used many subs which saw these guys get a game:

Mark Wilson - reserve

Thomas Rogne - reserve, young kid, coming back from injury

Ben Hutchison - reserve - no where near first team squad

Cilian Sheridan - reserve - no where near first team squad

Joe Ledley - signed one day before the game

Forrest - youth team player

Really the only automatic first team players would have been:

Hinkel, Hooivled, Brown, Loovins, Crosas, Ledley.

Those missing included McGeady, Ki Sung Yong, Fortune, Samaras, Cha Du Ri, Maloney, Zaluska

It could be argued very reasonably that all of the above are first team players.

Azerban
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
a bloo bloo my precious club! http://i26.tinypic.com/25tvt5y.gif

fixed your post for you

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
fixed your post for you

Thanks for that, now if someone who knows anything about football wants to say something...

Azerban
07-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for that, now if someone who knows anything about football wants to say something...

that's a little rough! you hardly know me. maybe we should sit down and have a beer and we can discuss in detail how celtic losing to a team worse than this years dc united is or isn't a colossal embarrassment.

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 01:11 PM
that's a little rough! you hardly know me. maybe we should sit down and have a beer and we can discuss in detail how celtic losing to a team worse than this years dc united is or isn't a colossal embarrassment.

How about you just chill out, stop being a dick and stop posting instead of trying to cause trouble?

Azerban
07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
so i guess that's a no on the beer

jaxul
07-16-2010, 01:27 PM
@torontocelt: i think people are having these reactions because in general MLS clubs are compared to 2nd, 3rd league clubs in europe. i'm not an expert on scottish football but i think Philly would be the equivalent of a middle of the table first division team. most would expect even celtic's second team to win over MLS's bottom feeders.

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 01:34 PM
@torontocelt: i think people are having these reactions because in general MLS clubs are compared to 2nd, 3rd league clubs in europe. i'm not an expert on scottish football but i think Philly would be the equivalent of a middle of the table first division team. most would expect even celtic's second team to win over MLS's bottom feeders.

It is all about fitness levels, they were way ahead of celtic in that respect. Like someone said previous Celtic isn't the only team to come to America and be beaten in recent years, one guy mentioned Real Madrid being defeated by an MLS team. Do you think if RM were fit and not on preseason that they would lose to a MLS team?

jaxul
07-16-2010, 01:40 PM
It is all about fitness levels, they were way ahead of celtic in that respect. Like someone said previous Celtic isn't the only team to come to America and be beaten in recent years, one guy mentioned Real Madrid being defeated by an MLS team. Do you think if RM were fit and not on preseason that they would lose to a MLS team?

The fitness argument works to a certain extent. Another reason may be that european teams coming to play friendlies here may got give it 100% all the time. As I am writing this it makes more sense to me that they come in...don't want to risk any injuries, collect their fee, put on a fair show and go to the next town :)

Obviously anyone who forms an opinion about Celtic simply based on a loss to Philly cannot be serious. People are just having some fun because the last team in the league managed to get their first clean sheet against them.

Davenport
07-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Friendlies here are only considered serious by the North American side.
They're trying to beat a "name" side, but it's considered a glorified practice by the tourists.
These tours are a club's way of saying thanks to their players...have fun on holiday, let's bond, have a few beers and start to get fit, but for God's sake don't get injured.
Results cannot be taken seriously.

BayernTFC
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Who cares about the results of meaningless preseason friendlies? If MLS teams want to market these games as their "Super Bowl", then let them. Oh we beat "insert European club name here" so we're a great team now and come watch us...lol. These games will always draw a certain spectator and coincidentally it's the same type of people who believe that the results of these games actually have merit. Why bother trying to convince the guy who blows $150 to watch useless garbage why he's wasting his time and money? A fool and his money are soon parted....

Pachuco
07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
With all due respect that is a load of crap and certainly not a fact. How much do you even know about Celtic, how much do you know about the team we put out, not very much I would think? If you said a full fit celtic half way through their season versus the Philidelphia equivalent then I would agree but not when they are two weeks into a preseason and have a disjointed team. If your players are not 100% fit then it means that they will be second to every single ball which celtic were. Fitness and match sharpness plays a massive part int he success of a football team as does knowing the players around you which was also a strain for Celtic as they fielded a team which contained many reserves, young kids and players coming back from injury. Here is an example of some of the players who played:

Cervi - was 3rd place goal keeper. First ever firsat team appearance.

Misun - First game back from injury after being off for a year, I think this was his first team outing, certainly never more than 3 first team appearances.

Hooiveld - 1st game coming back from long term injury

Pat McCourt - reserve team player

Paul McGowan - reserve striker

That was just from the team that started. We also used many subs which saw these guys get a game:

Mark Wilson - reserve

Thomas Rogne - reserve, young kid, coming back from injury

Ben Hutchison - reserve - no where near first team squad

Cilian Sheridan - reserve - no where near first team squad

Joe Ledley - signed one day before the game

Forrest - youth team player

Really the only automatic first team players would have been:

Hinkel, Hooivled, Brown, Loovins, Crosas, Ledley.

Those missing included McGeady, Ki Sung Yong, Fortune, Samaras, Cha Du Ri, Maloney, Zaluska

It could be argued very reasonably that all of the above are first team players.

Do I really need to walk you through the Philadelphia Union roster and how they've faired in the MLS. Do I need to bring up how long the Philadelphia Union have been playing TOGETHER as a team?

Sorry buddy, in my books, that's embarassing. I don't know why you defend them, if TFC loses to a U.S College who's playing together for the first time during preseason I wouldn't defend them.

Bars92
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
The Celts are obviously saving players for the match tonight vs United.

torontocelt
07-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Do I really need to walk you through the Philadelphia Union roster and how they've faired in the MLS. Do I need to bring up how long the Philadelphia Union have been playing TOGETHER as a team?

Sorry buddy, in my books, that's embarassing. I don't know why you defend them, if TFC loses to a U.S College who's playing together for the first time during preseason I wouldn't defend them.

With the players celtic played and with them only two weeks in to pre season I am not surprised they lost. I am not defending them, I am telling you reasons why I think they lost. Celtic does not have a good enough squad to just turn up and play against a fit team half way though their season and just expect to win. For many of the players and the management this was merely a training excerise to get their fitness up and a cash grab for the club. Celtic in the past three years have had some results pre season that would make you look twice but they are not important, it is what happens when the season starts that is important. Am I embarressed Celtic lost again PU, no not really, not with the players that were out there. Celtic doesn't have a great squad like they used to, there are no more Larssons or Suttons. What I will say is that if this were a competitve match with both teams at full strength and both fit then I would be embarressed if celtic lost but for a pre season friendly when we are playing kids, reserves, easing back long term injured and missing potentially seven first team players then no I am not embarressed.

CretanBull
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
An out of shape jet lagged Celtic B team with nothing to play for (as a team) vs. a fit MLS squad desparately trying to prove themselves...