PDA

View Full Version : MLS All-Star Team

ArmenJBX
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
The Starting XI of the MLS All-Star team will be announced at 3:40

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/all-star-first-xi-be-announced-tuesday

Which TFC players do you think will make the squad, if any.

I can see Dwayne De Rosario and Julian de Guzman, and maybe Stefan Frei making this team! :D

Azerban
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Julian de Guzman

its not april first

ArmenJBX
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
They usually take DP's regardless of form.

Azerban
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
oh, well, that just throws the reputation of this prestigious game into question

otherpost: did denilson make the team?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-13-2010, 02:38 PM
We play...Motagua night before?.....so im thinking .....

ArmenJBX
07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Shit, seriously?

Okay, no TFC again this year :P

ArmenJBX
07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
-------------------Donovan Ricketts------------------------
Chad Marshall---------Omar Gonzales----------Jamison Olave
--------------Kyle Beckerman---Javier Morales--------------
----Guillermo Barros Schelotto-------------Marco Pappa-----
---------------------Dwayne De Rosario--------------------
------------Edson Buddle-----------Landon Donovan--------

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Not good news. We have a CL match that we need DeRo for.

Azerban
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
reminder that we could've had omar gonzales instead of sam cronin *540 kickflips out of thread*

DangerRed
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
He's the captain and we have CCL the day before. There's no way he'll play in the All-Star. Hasn't he skipped it before because of club duty, or was that CMNT?

ArmenJBX
Don't forget that De Rosario was named to last years starting XI but was allowed to leave due to a similar, non-MLS game.

Expect Toronto FC to pull DeRo out of this years game as well.

Nodoubtguy
-------------------Donovan Ricketts------------------------
Chad Marshall---------Omar Gonzales----------Jamison Olave
--------------Kyle Beckerman---Javier Morales--------------
----Guillermo Barros Schelotto-------------Marco Pappa-----
---------------------Dwayne De Rosario--------------------
------------Edson Buddle-----------Landon Donovan--------

I can see DeRo skipping this.....he knows whats important

reminder that we could've had omar gonzales instead of sam cronin *540 kickflips out of thread*

yeah......lets not remind ourselves about that. We could have possibly ended up with Cronin in OBW's draft position too

TFC Cityboy
no way DeRo will pass up the CCL game for the All Star Game. If he does, I'd be really disappointed in him.

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I think he's already stated that he wanted to do the All-star game?

Yes...

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2089

He's going.

DangerRed
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM

That's really too bad if true. We've got a really important game the following day and the All-Star is meaningless.

I guess I'll forgive it if he bags four goals in the other Motagua game. :D

Nodoubtguy
07-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Yes...

He's going.

wow.....well that kinda sucks

H Bomb
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Typical dero. And az, if we drafted gonzalez he would have sat on the bench and then been released before being traded for allocation...la=bruce arenas

drexel10
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
It is in Houston and he will be a major draw for the event!

ArmenJBX
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Kyle Beckerman might not be playing either due to an injury.

Huginho
07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
wow.....well that kinda sucks

He'll probably fly to Houston after the TFC game and perhaps get in for the last 20 or so. I'd be more worried if TFC played the next day as opposed to the night before

nfitz
07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
The MLS article on the draw - notes that "Galaxy and Toronto FC players will likely see limited time due to CONCACAF Champions League commitments involving their clubs the day before the All-Star Game. Members of the Seattle Sounders will not be available for selection due to their CONCACAF Champions League match, which takes place on the same day as the All-Star event. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mlssoccercom-reveals-2010-mls-all-star-first-xi)"

So of the starting 11, four of them (Ricketts, Buddle, Donovan, and De Ro) are going to be impacted.

What a joke!

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
He'll probably fly to Houston after the TFC game and perhaps get in for the last 20 or so. I'd be more worried if TFC played the next day as opposed to the night before

No, he can't play in both. Expect DeRo to miss our CCL game, or play limited time in the All-Star game.

MartinUtd
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
They really need to do away with the All star game. These mid season friendlies just cheapen the league.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-13-2010, 03:09 PM
The MLS article on the draw - notes that "Galaxy and Toronto FC players will likely see limited time due to CONCACAF Champions League commitments involving their clubs the day before the All-Star Game. Members of the Seattle Sounders will not be available for selection due to their CONCACAF Champions League match, which takes place on the same day as the All-Star event. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mlssoccercom-reveals-2010-mls-all-star-first-xi)"

So of the starting 11, four of them (Ricketts, Buddle, Donovan, and De Ro) are going to be impacted.

What a joke!

good we need him!

sully
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I think I read somewhere that there's a bonus involved for the players picked. Of course thats important for DeRo as it would be for anyone. But I hope he wouldn't have to go all the way there with tired legs and run around for 15 mins for a meaningless game to pick it up...

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
MLS says he will be playing the game the day before, along with the 3 Galaxy players. Why do you think they are wrong?

changed my post.

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I think I read somewhere that there's a bonus involved for the players picked. Of course thats important for DeRo as it would be for anyone. But I hope he wouldn't have to go all the way there with tired legs and run around for 15 mins for a meaningless game to pick it up...

Under the old CBA, you only had to be named to the squad. not sure about the new one...

JonO
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
MLS says he will be playing the game the day before, along with the 3 Galaxy players. Why do you think they are wrong?
Your quote says Sounders players, not Galaxy players (although I can't read the article because I can't access the MLS website from work)

DangerRed
07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Well, at least he'll see only "limited time," which is good.

nfitz
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Your quote says Sounders players, not Galaxy players (although I can't read the article because I can't access the MLS website from work)My quote says:

Galaxy and Toronto FC players will likely see limited time due to CONCACAF Champions League commitments involving their clubs the day before the All-Star Game. Members of the Seattle Sounders will not be available for selection due to their CONCACAF Champions League match, which takes place on the same day as the All-Star event. Which is what is word-for-word in the article on the subject. Sorry, did I miss something?

nascarguy
07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I do not want to see any tfc player wast there time playing in this dumd game I'm not wasting my time to watch it.

this game should be played after the mls cup.

jaahuuu
07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Didn't the Houston @ DC game finish around 2am the day of the 2008 All-star game? DeRo played in that game and then came to Toronto to sub into the ASG.

nfitz
07-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Luke Wileman (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman) has confirmed that De Ro will be at the Motagua game, before going to Houston for the MLS game:

Just confirmed with Mo Johnston - De Ro will be available for #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc) vs. Motagua and then head to Houston for All Star match

De Ro will then head straight to Kansas City to meet up with the #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc) squad for the match vs. the Wizards

nascarguy
07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
De ro can go over sea I'm starting to think he just here in toronto to be a star that he is not

TFCRegina
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
He's the captain and we have CCL the day before. There's no way he'll play in the All-Star. Hasn't he skipped it before because of club duty, or was that CMNT?

Skipped it last year. Him being voted into the team gives him a bonus though. We're often mistaken in voting for other teams players, because club duty comes before the all-star game. If they're voted in and can't play they receive a cash bonus.

BeerBaron95
07-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Really dont see why all the hub bub... its a meaningless game regardless of who plays or doesnt play in it.

And yes, the game should be played after the MLS Cup if there was the option

ensco
07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
The real cost of this is that DeRo cannot possibly play 90 in both the Motagua and KC games. Maybe he couldn't/shouldn't anyway, as they're only 4 days apart, but putting the allstar game in the middle of all that seals it.

He'll probably be a late sub only for the KC game.

twistedchinaman
07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
I do not want to see any tfc player wast there time playing in this dumd game I'm not wasting my time to watch it.

this game should be played after the mls cup.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000...

This is one thing they SHOULD take from the NFL...the Pro Bowl was the week after, has been moved to week before.

nascarguy
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Yes...

He's going.
then I say we should sell him to a club over sea..... dero club comes 1st you want to be a super star find you can go over sea and be a star over there

nascarguy
07-13-2010, 10:08 PM
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000...

This is one thing they SHOULD take from the NFL...the Pro Bowl was the week after, has been moved to week before.
yeah put the all star game in somewhere that it is hot in nov

colman1860
07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
De ro can go over sea I'm starting to think he just here in toronto to be a star that he is not

Is there a wall of shame for alltime worst posts?

twistedchinaman
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm tempted to say we should offer Attakora as an appeasement...but then to break up CanNana for the All Star Game is an atrocimity.

twistedchinaman
07-13-2010, 10:39 PM
then I say we should sell him to a club over sea..... dero club comes 1st you want to be a super star find you can go over sea and be a star over there

Dude, I agree with you on ONE thing and then you pull up this gem.

:picard:

Pachuco
07-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Oh dear :facepalm:. I'd like to understand what it is about what Dero is doing that makes you think he isn't putting the club first?

Yagbod
07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Broken record here:

There are still pairs of seats available in 113 for this CD Motagua game. Is anyone going?

H Bomb
07-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I got yo back nascar. Maybe not quite that far but he wants to go to a meaningless game that takes place in between two real games for us. This is not leadership, this is selfish. Also, mls is a bush league.

ensco
07-14-2010, 06:20 AM
MLS All Star Game should be played in the same city, on the same weekend, as the MLS Cup final, but on the Saturday, the day before.

Everybody loves USA-Russia or Canada-Russia. You play the allstars against the Russian league champion (almost always CSKA Moscow or Zenit). Maybe the Russian champion stays and plays the MLS champion in the MLS champion's stadium on the Thursday after the MLS Cup.

You lengthen the season by two weeks to do this - the Russian season ends November 29.

Pachuco
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I got yo back nascar. Maybe not quite that far but he wants to go to a meaningless game that takes place in between two real games for us. This is not leadership, this is selfish. Also, mls is a bush league.

WOW - So I guess all the best players in the MLS are selfish for wanting to go to the All Star Game. The fact of the matter is this may be a meaningless game to you, but that doesn't mean it's meaningless to the players.

If you think it's meaningless for them to get chosen as one of the best players in the league and therefore have the opportunity to showcase their talent and play a team like Manchester United then stop watching north american sports cause the All Star Game is a reality in this continent.

People get pumped up about making the All Star Team when they play house league soccer at the age of 14 and you expect professional players to not do so? :rolleyes:

jabbronies
07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Sell Dero overseas???? hahahaha some people i tell you.

As for MLS being bush league...yes in some ways it is.
- All-star game in mid season = Bush league
- Having two divisions when all that really matters is how you finish in a single table = Bush league

UltraFootyKWC
07-14-2010, 12:23 PM

What a joke!

No doubt. Next year they should just scrap the stupid All-Star game altogether.

H Bomb
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
So we're suppose to be fine with dero knowingly making our team worse because hes excited? Thats crazy. Even if he doesnt play a minute, air travel can affect the body in a negative way. This is dero putting dero first. And im not cool with that. Not even a little bit. This is our captain? Just when it looked like hed turned a corner...guess you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

razor787
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
wow... That was a huge dick statement.

The guy goes out on the field week in, week out, hustling his ass off to put on a show for us. He wants 1 game, against a good opponent, where he was chosen as one of the best in the league, and he is getting called selfish.

I think the selfish ones are the people that arent letting the guy go out, and recieve the honor that he is obviously so excited to be getting.

He is playing in the TFC games as well, its not as if he is shunning the team.

RoyalMidfielder
07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
It is in Houston and he will be a major draw for the event!

Maybe for for like 10 people. The other 70,000 will be there to see this small team from England...I can't remember their name...Manchester something

H Bomb
07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
The koolaid round these parts must taste amazing.

Pachuco
07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
So we're suppose to be fine with dero knowingly making our team worse because hes excited? Thats crazy. Even if he doesnt play a minute, air travel can affect the body in a negative way. This is dero putting dero first. And im not cool with that. Not even a little bit. This is our captain? Just when it looked like hed turned a corner...guess you cant teach an old dog new tricks.

What a crazy thing it is. To have a captain that wants to play against one of the best teams IN THE WORLD! With the best players in the MLS. WITHOUT sacrificing a single game for TFC.

H Bomb
07-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Youre blind if you dont think hes sacrificing tfc here. We have a game one day before the all star game and one three days after. We need him for these games, for the prep for these games. Why should I care that hes playing a meaningless match against the reserves of a great team. Its typical dero. Look at me look at me. He should be honoured to be picked, and regretfully decline, you know like a leader would, like someone who puts his team before himself would.

Pachuco
07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Youre blind if you dont think hes sacrificing tfc here. We have a game one day before the all star game and one three days after. We need him for these games, for the prep for these games. Why should I care that hes playing a meaningless match against the reserves of a great team. Its typical dero. Look at me look at me. He should be honoured to be picked, and regretfully decline, you know like a leader would, like someone who puts his team before himself would.

Please explain to me how the game the day before the All Star Game will be sacrificed? you keep bringing it up as it it matters that he plays with TFC the day before. The game 3 days later, well, if you think TFC has taken a flight 2 days before a game to any given location then I think you are the blind one. Players travel before games all the time. You are making this much bigger then it is, probably cause you don't like Dero's personality or something.

Whoop
07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm with HBomb on this one. 3 games in 5 nights is too tough on the body with the air travel.

He, along with the other players that have CCL commitments, should reluctantly decline the invitation to the ASG. Thanks, but no thanks.

And it's not like the MLS All-Stars are playing the full United squad.

razor787
07-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I wouldnt care if the match was against the Kaiser Chiefs. Its an All-Star game, and its something DeRo wants to be a part of.

Is it really unfair for him to ask for one thing that he wants to do? There will only be one game effected, which will likely mean that he comes on as a second half sub.

He has done that numerous times already. We have a good team, and have been successful when only playing him for 45 mins. Plus, one play doesnt make or break a team.

Stouffville_RPB
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
TFC's chances of advancing to the group stage aren't great even if DeRo was playing so I'm not sure how much it hurts TFC if he misses it and plays in Houston instead.

An arguement for Bombers side is, can't Theirry Henry go to the all-star game in DeRo's place. Henry 1 day in the league or not is an all-star in MLS.