PDA

View Full Version : The Dichio 23:13 effect

ExiledRed
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I've noticed from the last few games I've seen on TV, that our boys seem to make a more concerted effort at scoring during the dichio chant. I think we've even had one scored during the dichio this season.

I've been trying to figure out why this is, it seemed unlikely to me that the players gain inspiration from our ritual worship of a player who is now on the coaching staff, and that most never played alongside.

I was pondering it and then it hit me.

The players hate the song, it pisses them off. I'll bet some of the guys dont even like our Danny, think he gets more praise than he deserves, the song grates their nerves and the only way they can get us to turn it off is to score a fucking goal so we cheer and go mental instead.

Seriously, I'm thinking that they have some kind of dressing room pact that whoever scores during the dichio gets his beers all payed up for a month or something, because whenever we hit 23:13, and Im watching, we start going on the offence at least until the dichio is over.

So my feeling is this. Fine, they dont like the chant and they want to score to shut us up. So sing it the fuck up, do it properly,in harmony and get on their fucking nerves, and if someone scores......give the dichio a rest, cheer for the goal and then instead of starting the dichio up again, sing for that player instead.

Probably not worthy of its own thread, but I make so little of them that you can deal with it.

rocker
07-12-2010, 08:56 PM
just off hand, the goal you're thinking of is Labrocca's "wind aided" goal during the 24th minute against Chicago i think was the team.

obviously it was Dichio's spirit who knocked it in.

Azerban
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
do it properly,in harmony

oh please oh please oh please do this

how shit this song sounds every week borders on being a war crime

rocktml
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
The reason they play harder is because the whole stadium gets on this chant even the casual fans.........

ExiledRed
07-12-2010, 09:11 PM
The reason they play harder is because the whole stadium gets on this chant even the casual fans.........

The whole stadium used to get behind it, and we were a bit out of sync back then. Now, it sounds fucking terrible, and I give up trying to sing it after thirty seconds because its all over the place.

The stadium gets behind other chants such as Forza TO and the massive, much harder and it doesnt seem to impact our performance so much.

Brooker
07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
lol.... so should we sing it for 90 minutes?

flatpicker
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
lol.... so should we sing it for 90 minutes?

Just think of how badly we butcher that song,
Now think of doing that for 90 minutes!

Yikes!

Although, we might actually fall in sync after about 30 mins.

J .
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
The echo is what makes it sound out of sync at least from being in the north end it sounds out of sync with the south. I dont know how people in 112-113 fuck it up. But alas not my problem.

I really dont think they hate it, I think they want to be immortalized do just as Dichio has been. Its our first real history and something we rightly are following through game in and game out. Part of the lure of playing in TO is the supporters and, yeah to us its not up to par, but for MLS standards it still a pretty high bar we have set.

Maybe we are being a little to hard on being out of sync, but we do have some casual fans getting involved and developing a better culture.

JonO
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
The echo is what makes it sound out of sync at least from being in the north end it sounds out of sync with the south. I dont know how people in 112-113 fuck it up. But alas not my problem.

It's no echo - the north end and south end are quite out of synch. Sit in the middle of the field one day - it can be quite difficult to pick out any one song because of it...

canadian_bhoy
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
The thing that fucks up the dichio song is that for some reason, people have started doing the "hands up ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for 10 seconds leading up to the song.

You can't say ohhhhhh as a lead up when the first line of the song is ohhhhhhh. both 113 and 112 do it. It totally screws things up.

I know the countdown is lame as hell - but at least it worked.

ExiledRed
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I would put down money that my initial hunch is true, and I bet its confirmed by a retired player one day in an informal interview.

Brooker
07-13-2010, 12:20 AM
You can't say ohhhhhh as a lead up when the first line of the song is ohhhhhhh. both 113 and 112 do it. It totally screws things up.

I know the countdown is lame as hell - but at least it worked.

true enough.

MartinUtd
07-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Maybe its time to stop living in the past and pay homage to those that are on the field. I know its not a popular position, but eventually we'll have to let it go.

ArmenJBX
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
De Rosario works the exact same way as Danny Dichio.

Ohhhhhh De Rosariooooooo, De Rosariooo, De Rosariooo, De Rosarioooooooooooooo!

yanggoh
07-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Maybe its time to stop living in the past and pay homage to those that are on the field. I know its not a popular position, but eventually we'll have to let it go.

I can only assume your boardname is in reference to Man United, and most of THEIR supporters would rather die before the day they stop singing for Eric Cantona.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCS1Oh7iTy0

jabbronies
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
This is a pretty lame idea. I can't believe this thread even exists. Don't you people have anything better to do?

MartinUtd
07-13-2010, 10:44 AM
You assume wrong.

yanggoh
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
You assume wrong.

Well I apologize then, but either way -- it's nice to build traditions at a club, especially one as young as ours. It'd be a shame to give up one of our only ones.

rocker
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Nah, no reason to let go of what is our most momentous moment in our short history.

We need to build tradition. This is a great tradition. Even in the worst game, it reminds me of what is good and right in our world.... the first ever goal!

We will never forget!!!

“Remember the name! Remember the date! The fans have gone wild, because this is the very first goal ever scored by Toronto FC in Major League Soccer! Number nine, six-foot-three, Danny Dichio!!!!”
-- Nigel Reed, CBC
May 12, 2007

MartinUtd
07-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Traditions are good and all, but you don't want them to seem forced.

I'm probably the wrong person to be having this conversation with. While I did appreciate Danny's contribution, I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that he's a legend and worth comparing to the likes of Cantona.

Dunkers
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
^ he just called you a Man U fan...hahah as a true Leeds UNITED fan, how does that feel?

Brooker
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM

forced? FORCED?! :facepalm:

ARE YOU REDBULL IN DISGUISE?

MartinUtd
07-13-2010, 11:04 AM
^ he just called you a Man U fan...hahah as a true Leeds UNITED fan, how does that feel?

lol.. at least there was a Cantona reference. Even though he ended up on the wrong side of the Pennines I can still appreciate.

And yes the chant does come across as forced when there's a big build up in the south corner only for it to die by 23:33

Yohan
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
forced? FORCED?! :facepalm:

ARE YOU REDBULL IN DISGUISE?
ya really.

unfortunate that dichio was pretty old when he started his legendary career for TFC. just because our team's history is young, doesn't mean we can't have our own legends

srsly. DeRo doesn't even come close to emotional impact he has on supporters like Danny D does. (and I highly doubt he ever will, barring he takes TFC to multiple MLS titles or tons of clutch goals)

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 11:53 AM
This is a pretty lame idea. I can't believe this thread even exists. Don't you people have anything better to do?

This is a pretty lame post, I cant believe you even made it. Dont you have anything better to do yourself?

Oh right, your a web developer like me...... so no then.

CoachGT
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
This is how tradition starts, singing as we have.

Danny commented about it, if you recall. He said that it was an indication for him of the halfway point of the half. I'd expect a few players to think the same.

I'd suspect that most players give a little more when they hear it. Not out of love or hate, but just because the noise and energy levels build up when this is sung. We've seen it before (and many players and coaches have commented on this in the past, here and in other places) that energy from the crowd (or lack thereof) gets transposed onto the players.

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm open to the suggestion that they might use the Dichio as a signal for a synchronised change in the tactical approach, but I'm more inclined to believe the players are trying to silence it.

Either way, they do press, when the dichio starts.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
but I'm more inclined to believe the players are trying to silence it.

http://skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/its_a_conspiracy1.jpg

where exactly did you find out that "The players hate the song, it pisses them off."

unless that can be proven, the rest is all speculation.

jabbronies
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
This is a pretty lame post, I cant believe you even made it. Dont you have anything better to do yourself?

Oh right, your a web developer like me...... so no then.

But honestly. This topic has been talked about to death. Use the search feature and re-read all of the exact same discussions surrounding this very topic. Why bring it up again? and with such an odd interpretation as to why the players happen to play better at that time.

Could it be because they are warmed up at that time, have figured out how they will play against their opponent and are starting to make legitimate pushes towards the net?

That would be a better argument than "Oh shit, there;s that danny dichio song, I need to take it up a notch to distract them from singing it"
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/130559913/cletus_bigger.gif

and I'm not a developer, I'm a designer:canada:

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
http://skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/its_a_conspiracy1.jpg

where exactly did you find out that "The players hate the song, it pisses them off."

unless that can be proven, the rest is all speculation.

I thought it was clear I was speculating.

And I dont think its a conspiracy, I think its positive.

koryo
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
It's important to remember that this thread was framed as a "what if...". It's something to debate, if you feel like it. If you don't, then don't.

No one's going to prove anything... beyond how well we can get through a work day without doing more than 40 minutes work.

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
But honestly. This topic has been talked about to death. Use the search feature and re-read all of the exact same discussions surrounding this very topic. Why bring it up again? and with such an odd interpretation as to why the players happen to play better at that time.

Could it be because they are warmed up at that time, have figured out how they will play against their opponent and are starting to make legitimate pushes towards the net? That would be a better argument than "Oh shit, there;s that danny dichio song, I need to take it up a notch to distract them from singing it"

and I'm not a developer, I'm a designer:canada:

Its not been discussed to death, the song and the disharmony itself maybe, but I wanted to submit the effect it has on the players as a new discussion, so that.. you know, people actually read it.

I've been contributing to this board since it was started by some dude in Britain known only as 'Simon' and in that time I've made about twelve threads. So if you dont like this one....well you know what to do (or what not to do)

Do I need to pay you $25 to avoid this kind of rebuke by the way?

Oh and learn some code, designers who only know graphics are getting raped out there.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Do I need to pay you $25 to avoid this kind of rebuke by the way?

that's the card you're going to play? someone disagrees with your premise and presentation so you make it a member / non-member thing? You can do better than that.

here's a counter argument - The players LOVE the song because it shows them that the supporters will love a player even if he's not that great. hard work and a bit of luck is all Dichio really had, and he's a legend for it now. maybe the players want to emulate that? maybe the 23:24 singing inspires them to score in that minute so their name is aligned with greatness? hmmm...?

ManUtd4ever
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree that it's not always necessary to pay homage to former members of the team but I think the Dichio chant supercedes everything else because it literally symbolizes the birth of the franchise in our hearts and in our minds. Dichio 23:13 must live on!

H Bomb
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I like the theory, even if I dont think its true. Danny is too nice a guy to be hated:). But perhaps this raises a good point. That being we dont sing for players. So instead of sticking to the script next game, we should get back to singing for individuals. The nana song is great. I bet a dero song exists. How bout labrocca in la bamba. If they do something good yew should let them know.

H Bomb
07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Its 25 dollars now? Jesus, in this economy? Lighten up everyone, its all fun and games

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
that's the card you're going to play? someone disagrees with your premise and presentation so you make it a member / non-member thing? You can do better than that.

here's a counter argument - The players LOVE the song because it shows them that the supporters will love a player even if he's not that great. hard work and a bit of luck is all Dichio really had, and he's a legend for it now. maybe the players want to emulate that? maybe the 23:24 singing inspires them to score in that minute so their name is aligned with greatness? hmmm...?

I appreciate the counter argument, but I played that card because I see more than acouple of pointless threads go up every day, in fact you make a bunch of them yourself. But nobody says boo, including me.

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm probably the wrong person to be having this conversation with. While I did appreciate Danny's contribution, I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that he's a legend and worth comparing to the likes of Cantona.

Although not even comparable in skill, for his emotional impact on Toronto Danny D is more significant to TFC than Cantona was to Manchester United.

... and don't tell this guy you want to get rid of his tradition:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=2486

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
and to the original point - If a player did score during the chant, I'd happily start singing something new for them.

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
I like the theory, even if I dont think its true. Danny is too nice a guy to be hated:). But perhaps this raises a good point. That being we dont sing for players. So instead of sticking to the script next game, we should get back to singing for individuals. The nana song is great. I bet a dero song exists. How bout labrocca in la bamba. If they do something good yew should let them know.

I never said they hated Danny, merely the song. I suspect that there have to be a few players in the mix that dont like him, and thats based on statstics. You get a fair sized group of people working together, how likely is it that they ALL like one of their colleagues or bosses.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I appreciate the counter argument, but I played that card because I see more than acouple of pointless threads go up every day, in fact you make a bunch of them yourself. But nobody says boo, including me.

And yes I can do better, but it wouldnt be any less unpleasa

pointless threads go up all the time, and if someone calls the original poster out on the validity of it, it's never because of member status. A pointless thread is a pointless thread, and very few of them are exempt from scorn. In fact, this one has more then enough decent contributions, despite also having some snark tossed in for good measure.

anyway, my point that it's not a member / non-member thing still stands. A dumb thread from anyone will be met with tauting. hell... look at my blogto - jay/tfc poll. It's borderline pointless, and I'm taunted. Another day on the nets.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
You get a fair sized group of people working together, how likely is it that they ALL like one of their colleagues or bosses.

but Danny has probably become a mentor to many of the guys on the team, certainly compared to someone like Brennan who's not down on the field in sweats. For every 2 guys who dislike Danny, there's probably 10 who look up to him. Agreed that you'll never get a 100% approval rate in something like that, but I think his detractors are vastly outnumbers by his boosters. Again though, it's separate from the song.

I think all the players want a song of their own, and know are reminded that we will reward them for great play. Maybe that's why there's a push in the 23rd minute? It's fresh in their heads.

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
and to the original point - If a player did score during the chant, I'd happily start singing something new for them.

Which is what Im suggesting here.

It pisses me off when we score a goal during particular chants, and there is a concerted effort to keep the chant up despite the fact that we all just want to go mental cause we scored.

If someone scores during the Dichio, we should turn it off.

If someone scores, we should be singing their name even if its just their name to here we go (i.e - Ibrahim, ibrahim, ibrahim)

I'd never suggest we stop the dichio tradition, Im all for it and especially if its motivating the players to score.

J .
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I would put down money that my initial hunch is true, and I bet its confirmed by a retired player one day in an informal interview.

Lol one guy, one day, sometime in the future...

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
It pisses me off when we score a goal during particular chants, and there is a concerted effort to keep the chant up despite the fact that we all just want to go mental cause we scored.

but how often do we actually get a goal during a set chant?

I know that often a chant will be interrupted by a super save, and we usually go right into the 'Super Stephen Frei' chant.

Nodoubtguy
07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
http://torontofc.theoffside.com/files/2009/10/Dichio-Thank-You-Cropped-2.jpg

Like him or not (and that goes for supporters and players), he is a big part of our history, our memorable moments, our identity as a club

H Bomb
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Lets quit the member talk before people who really take that bullshit seriously show up and ruin everything. The only time I ever notice the team play well is right after half. For some reason for those ten minutes everything clicks and they do things like make passes, and move towards the oppositions net. Other than that its the usual shit weve become accustomed to...sorry, thought this was my best chance to bitch about preki and the least exciting eight game unbeaten streak in history.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:46 PM
..and the least exciting eight game unbeaten streak in history.

it is rather dull for such a long streak.

well at least were streaking at around par instead of at our usual 'double bogey' standard. Not sure why I'm using a golf comparison....

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:47 PM
but Danny has probably become a mentor to many of the guys on the team, certainly compared to someone like Brennan who's not down on the field in sweats. For every 2 guys who dislike Danny, there's probably 10 who look up to him. Agreed that you'll never get a 100% approval rate in something like that, but I think his detractors are vastly outnumbers by his boosters. Again though, it's separate from the song.

I think all the players want a song of their own, and know are reminded that we will reward them for great play. Maybe that's why there's a push in the 23rd minute? It's fresh in their heads.

Imagine TFC were an army unit. The players are privates, the captain is a corporal, and the coaches are sergeants.

the privates have a private in-joke about one of the sergeants. They respect the sergeant, trust him, maybe like him, likely ready to die at his command, but he's still the sergeant and theyre still privates.
They imitate his voice and affectations, and have a little fun behind his back, and have to stick together aganst any discipline he may dole out.

I just think its likely to be more like that, than they are inspired by our adulation of Danny.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Imagine TFC were an army unit. The players are privates, the captain is a corporal, and the coaches are sergeants.

let's continue with that comparison....

Danny is an officer now, but started out as an enlisted man just like the guys in the trenches today. The privates out there, fighting the battles are never going to identify with the absentee Commander in chief (mo) or even the aging general who fought a war long before they were even old enough to understand it (Preki). Yes I'll agree that the 'privates' will always share a bond that excludes everyone else, BUT they do know that danny was a Private in his day too, and not only did he fight the war longer than most of them did -- he's been rewarded with the Medal of Honour, and we remind him of it every game. They see that he's a decorated hero and they must understand that they will be recognized for their contributions too. (or sold short like Robbo, but I'm leaving the VietNam connection for another thread)

that was fun.

http://files.brandflakesforbreakfast.com/uploaded_images/plastic-army-men-742187.jpg

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
let's continue with that comparison....

Danny is an officer now, but started out as an enlisted man just like the guys in the trenches today. The privates out there, fighting the battles are never going to identify with the absentee Commander in chief (mo) or even the aging general who fought a war long before they were even old enough to understand it (Preki). Yes I'll agree that the 'privates' will always share a bond that excludes everyone else, BUT they do know that danny was a Private in his day too, and not only did he fight the war longer than most of them did -- he's been rewarded with the Medal of Honour, and we remind him of it every game. They see that he's a decorated hero and they must understand that they will be recognized for their contributions too. (or sold short like Robbo, but I'm leaving the VietNam connection for another thread)

that was fun.

http://files.brandflakesforbreakfast.com/uploaded_images/plastic-army-men-742187.jpg

They still make fun of the decorated heroes, if they have direct contact with them every day, and I'll bet Yeoman or someone can confirm this.

Fuck, I bet in Liverpool's academy right now there are kids making fun of Kenny Dalglish's ridiculously thick scots accent, and as far as Liverpool goes Kenny Dalglish is not only a legend, but he's god, the holy spirit, the messiah, and every prophet combined.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 01:14 PM
They still make fun of the decorated heroes, if they have direct contact with them every day, and I'll bet Yeoman or someone can confirm this.

sure they make fun of each other, which is what we all do, but in the end he's a role model for most everyone else on the team.

ExiledRed
07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
sure they make fun of each other, which is what we all do, but in the end he's a role model for most everyone else on the team.

I certainly think the players are more susceptible to believe that we've overhyped him, and to see him a little differently than we do.

Roogsy
07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Sparky FTW...

JonO
07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Which is what Im suggesting here.

If someone scores, we should be singing their name even if its just their name to here we go (i.e - Ibrahim, ibrahim, ibrahim)

I'd never suggest we stop the dichio tradition, Im all for it and especially if its motivating the players to score.
Sorry I read this thread, but I wholeheartedly agree with this

H Bomb
07-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Sorry I read this thread

Its okay. We forgive you

FluSH
07-13-2010, 10:02 PM

Sour Grapes? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's true unfortunately... However The song is a celebration of our Club our First Goal not just the man himself...

To put it in street/gang terms... even the youngbucks respect the OG's of the past... and if some players in our team can't do that... or some retired players can't see that... then they need to rethink about the type of respect they wish to earn.

LCB
07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe it's Danny, maybe he put a bounty on a goal during the chant! If there's anything to the theory, which I do rather enjoy, I'd think it would be in jest, in-joke ballbreaking... maybe self-deprecating if it's the big man himself who started it.

ExiledRed
07-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Maybe it's Danny, maybe he put a bounty on a goal during the chant! If there's anything to the theory, which I do rather enjoy, I'd think it would be in jest, in-joke ballbreaking... maybe self-deprecating if it's the big man himself who started it.

I was going to suggest this also, it crossed my mind yesterday.

Danny would never admit to hating the song, but I've seen him come off as a bit embarrassed by it in interviews. In fact I think your 'bounty' theory is more plausible than mine.

ExiledRed
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Sour Grapes? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's true unfortunately... However The song is a celebration of our Club our First Goal not just the man himself...

To put it in street/gang terms... even the youngbucks respect the OG's of the past... and if some players in our team can't do that... or some retired players can't see that... then they need to rethink about the type of respect they wish to earn.

Look I wasnt suggesting the players were being disrespectful to Danny, merely that players see things differently than supporters, and arent going to put each other on pedestals in the way that supporters do.

And despite my first post, I agree with LCB that if something like this is going on, then its good natured.

Its also a dumb thread I made, so its nothing to get upset about, seriously I was high when I posted this.

Heart of Stone
07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Earlier this season one of younger players, I think it may have been Sanyang, started rolling around on the pitch during Dichio 23. Dero came over and told him to get up.

Juanito
07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
I like the Dichio song and what it stands for ... it's a bit of an institution and is one of our few "traditions" @ TFC.

However, if players score during "The Danny", we should respect the current squad and cheer.

My two cents.

ArmenJBX
07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Here's the thing though. If someone else scored the first goal, would we sing about them? What if Conor Casey scored that goal, or Eskanderian or even Adam Braz? If they scored first it would have made them legends, and Dichio just one of our players.

If Casey scored and left, he'd be known as "that guy", Dichio stuck around till he retired. Maybe it's time we honour some other players too. Like I said before, the Dichio song goes well to "De Rosariooooo"....