PDA

View Full Version : TFC v.s. Crapids - Post Game Thread

The Oz
07-10-2010, 01:05 PM
3 points. Maicon Santos. All that matters.

manic.street.preacher
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
3 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well earned man-of-the-match for Gargan ... Maicon impressed and Frei was his usually god-like self

Stryker
07-10-2010, 01:11 PM
First half was a snoozer but things picked up alot in the second.
I think OB White now finds himself at the bottom of the que and I wouldn't mind if we traded him.
Gargan's the warrior we lost in Serioux. Attakora was awesome, Cann was awesome.
If Mo's smart he'll try and extend Cann's contract a couple years now while he needs the money.

twistedchinaman
07-10-2010, 01:16 PM
First half was a snoozer but things picked up alot in the second.
I think OB White now finds himself at the bottom of the que and I wouldn't mind if we traded him.
Gargan's the warrior we lost in Serioux. Attakora was awesome, Cann was awesome.
If Mo's smart he'll try and extend Cann's contract a couple years now while he needs the money.

+1 to every single thing you just said.

Oh Bee Dubya has just become a Dubya...:(

LesH
07-10-2010, 01:17 PM
The whole team can kiss Frei's hands for 2 points!

This game we were still lacklustre creating scoring chances.
In all the last 4 games in row now...

Fuck, since we have not lost, TFC must have making the most points on the fewest scored goals in MLS!

twistedchinaman
07-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Oh and yes...Maicon Santos: I'd give him a couple more games before coming to a conclusion about him, but still...I'm as confounded as the rest of you about Chivas' decision. Did he and Vasquez (coach) not see eye to eye? Spanish-Portuguese language gap?

I just don't see it.

ArmenJBX
07-10-2010, 01:20 PM
He was Preki's man.

He was probably the Sam Cronin of the team :P

MartinUtd
07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I think we need to give Ibrahim some credit for the goal. It wasn't pretty but he fought for it after it deflected off that defender. Good cross by Barrett too.

I said this in the other thread about OBW, but I think at the very least it will be worth keeping him as waiver bait for Vancouver. If we're going to cut him, we might as well do it in ceremonious fashion.

And to think.. we all wanted him on the CMNT 8 months ago.

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Maicon had a very good start. Good effort, very much a Preki kind of player. Will love to see him play with Mista.

Liked how the backline pushed up at times to force the Rapids to deal with offsides. They need to do that more. Still, last year we would have allowed a goal when a team pressed like Colorado did.

Frei nearly got "Jubilani'd" at one point (MLS uses the Jubilani ball) when the ball suddenly and unexpectedly dipped in front of the net. Quick thinking by Frei saved what would have been a goal. Frei stood up strong this match, with some key saves.

Great play by Chad! -- that goal would have been impossible without that great cross. Ibrahim deserves applause for his composure in front of the net.

OBW was invisible. If he keeps performing at this level, the only reason to keep him would be as bait for Vancouver.

Overall, a good game with a needed win. Defensively, we really missed having JDG, it increased greatly the pressure on the back 4.

J .
07-10-2010, 01:30 PM
At work, missed the 2nd half... Glad to hear TFC picked up the three points today. Sounds like Maicon did a good job impressing people.

DoubleUp
07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I think we need to give Ibrahim some credit for the goal. It wasn't pretty but he fought for it after it deflected off that defender. Good cross by Barrett too.

I said this in the other thread about OBW, but I think at the very least it will be worth keeping him as waiver bait for Vancouver. If we're going to cut him, we might as well do it in ceremonious fashion.

And to think.. we all wanted him on the CMNT 8 months ago.

Not me!:canada:
I think keeping Ibby and cutting white is the next step, Santos looks great! and I can't wait to see more along with Mista. There's still bit more shuffling roster wise, but overall it starting to come together.
Good win boys!:scarf:

TFC USA
07-10-2010, 01:34 PM
OBW and Usanov were worse than usual. I'll take the points but we have to win next week's game.

twistedchinaman
Fuck, since we have not lost, TFC must have making the most points on the fewest scored goals in MLS!

If we divided points gained by goals for to create a Points Per Goal (PPG) Average....the Galaxatives would lead that (bold teams are the top 8):

1) LA (36p/25g) = 1.44 PPG
2) Red Craps (25p/18g) = 1.39
3) Colorado (22p/16g) = 1.38
4) Cowlumpass (27p/20g) = 1.35
5) Dallas (21p/16g) = 1.31
6) TORONTO (22p/17g) = 1.29
7) San Jose (19p/16g) = 1.19
8) KC (12p/11g) = 1.09
9) RSL (30p/28g) = 1.07
10) DCU (11p/11g) = 1.00
11) Chicago (17p/18g) = 0.94
12) Seattle (15p/16g) = 0.94
13) Houston (18p/21g) = 0.86
14) New England (11p/13g) = 0.85
=15) Philadelphia (11p/15g) = 0.73
=15) Chivas (11p/15g) = 0.73

...yeah, I've got too much time on my hands.

adam1001
everytime preki puts barrett on the wings, he is so much more effective. keep him there! impressed by maicon. linked well with the team and solid shot/ball control. Frei, great as usual. OBW is awful. I think i can run faster than him lol.

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
everytime preki puts barrett on the wings, he is so much more effective.

Agreed. With Mista and Maicon up front, playing Barrett as a winger might be a very smart move, especially given his crossing ability and speed.

ag futbol
07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Santos definitely provided some movement and inter-play we haven't seen from our target strikers yet. At Chivas he was hard working but not exactly dangerous. I'll wait a few games before giving him any real priase, but OBW's time as a starter looks to be over.

billyfly
07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
3 pts. All that matters.

SilverSamurai
07-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Santos definitely provided some movement and inter-play we haven't seen from our target strikers yet. At Chivas he was hard working but not exactly dangerous. I'll wait a few games before giving him any real priase, but OBW's time as a starter looks to be over.
+1.
Ship while he's worth something.
Preferably a lil more than a 3rd draft pick...:rolleyes:

MartinUtd
07-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't think OBW is worth anything right now. The way everyone was cramping up today he's at least worth being that 80minute sub.

OBW: Our Bait for Waivers

J .
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I think OBW isnt doing great, put him on the bench or package him up for a winger. Otherwise I am not going to throw him under the bus, but he needs time to improve. What he will improve on to make him effective Im not sure.

Maicon and Barrett sound like they could be dangerous together. Interesting to see how Mista and Maicon work together.

Shakes McQueen
07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Barrett once again demonstrating why I have patience in his game even when he can't seem to find the net himself.

Not our best game, but three points, without our DP. Can't argue with results.

- Scott

Gixmo
07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Barrett once again demonstrating why I have patience in his game even when he can't seem to find the net himself.

Not our best game, but three points, without our DP. Can't argue with results.

- Scott

Another goal from a Barrett cross.... Maybe he needs a perm move to the wing with Santos in the middle...

twistedchinaman
07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Another goal from a Barrett cross.... Maybe he needs a perm move to the wing with Santos in the middle...

Isn't it an ongoing chat about Barrett being better off on the wing anyway -- today only proved it?

dupont
07-10-2010, 02:21 PM
That was an interesting game. On the one hand, I thought TFC showed a lot of promise and there were a lot of good individual performances. On the other hand, Colorado had a lot of pressure on our goal and if any of those chances gets buried then the game would look very different.

In the end though we got the much needed 3 points at home after the disappointment of the last 2 draws.

DoubleUp
07-10-2010, 02:25 PM
With our new developments, I think wing would be good for barrett. Some might disagree but I would like to see Barrett, dero on the wings with Deguzman and labrocca in the middle and Santos and Mista up top. Traditional 4-4-2

Gixmo
07-10-2010, 02:28 PM
With our new developments, I think wing would be good for barrett. Some might disagree but I would like to see Barrett, dero on the wings with Deguzman and labrocca in the middle and Santos and Mista up top. Traditional 4-4-2

Worth a shot, agreed

Roogsy
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Impressed with:

Frei
Maicon

Satisfied with the performance of:

Gargan
Cann
Attakora
DeRo

Subpar performances from:

Usanov
Obie

I'd like to see what Maicon does with DeRo and JDG in the coming weeks. With Mista on the way, I'd like to see what kind of setup Preki uses. What is obvious is that we are having trouble creating opportunities to score, even with our goal today. We aren't lighing up the scoreboard. We need to see some final-third action.

Gixmo
07-10-2010, 02:44 PM

Do It

profit89
07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
JDG, DeRo, Maicon, Mista

We're going to make magic this second half.

Shakes McQueen
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Maicon looked like a good addition, and we didn't even have JDG or Mista out there today. I'm optimistic that our offensive production will get better in the coming weeks.

- Scott

BeerBaron95
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Maicon had a very good start. Good effort, very much a Preki kind of player. Will love to see him play with Mista.

Liked how the backline pushed up at times to force the Rapids to deal with offsides. They need to do that more. Still, last year we would have allowed a goal when a team pressed like Colorado did.

Frei nearly got "Jubilani'd" at one point (MLS uses the Jubilani ball) when the ball suddenly and unexpectedly dipped in front of the net. Quick thinking by Frei saved what would have been a goal. Frei stood up strong this match, with some key saves.

Great play by Chad! -- that goal would have been impossible without that great cross. Ibrahim deserves applause for his composure in front of the net.

OBW was invisible. If he keeps performing at this level, the only reason to keep him would be as bait for Vancouver.

Overall, a good game with a needed win. Defensively, we really missed having JDG, it increased greatly the pressure on the back 4.

No we didn't

madcow
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:re-8t7WMa1TOgM:http://img1.tvloop.com/img/showpics/b9/e7/l33d684b90000_1_30012.jpg (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://img1.tvloop.com/img/showpics/b9/e7/l33d684b90000_1_30012.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tvloop.com/entourage/show/photos/top10/johnny-chase-70/1&usg=__MQ84puTnnGDYM0D2_fFeBnmWC2g=&h=556&w=500&sz=31&hl=en&start=4&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=re-8t7WMa1TOgM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohnny%2Bdrama%2Bvictory%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1T4GGLJ_enCA241CA241%2 6tbs%3Disch:1),
now let us bask and enjoy the moment

LesH
07-10-2010, 03:29 PM

This looks like would be the ideal formula.

Mr. Bigby
07-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I have to disagree a bit with those who knocked Usanov. I thought there were a few key instanaces in the second half where he was quite strong when the Rapids were threatening. In fact I was very impresssed with how the entire team stood strong during that pant-filling flurry of pinball near the end. At different times I thought that each member of the team (with the exception of OBW) showed themselves well. Preki seems to making them into believers!

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
No we didn't

Yes we did. :D

Redcoe15
07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Missed the game because of prior commitments. :(

All I can say is: 3 points. Our side got 3 points. That's all that matters.

Looking forward to the next game against Philadelphia at PPL Park where I expect our side to go PP all over the Union. :D

bigtfcfan
07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
what was the attendance?

habstfc
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I have to agree, usanov played good I thought. It wasn't a pretty game but 3 points is all that matters. I was impressed with the brazilian from what I saw of him, hopefully with mista playing next week, we'll see if this team can have any killer instinct and beat an overmatched philly. I also would like to see dero and barrett on the wings with the 2 new strikers up front to see what they can do. I suspect that mista will start up front with barrett for next week anyway.

TFCtoMUFC
07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Hang on to OBW, let him go in the expansion draft.

denime
07-10-2010, 04:41 PM
No we didn't

OH yes we did,and how much you will see next game in Philly.

BTW did you get your tickets for Philly game?:canada:

ensco
07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Close call.

Could have easily been a destabilizing loss.

Difference between this year and last year is, it wasn't.

Pigfynn
07-10-2010, 04:49 PM
OH yes we did,and how much you will see next game in Philly.

BTW did you get your tickets for Philly game?:canada:

He only got a one game ban didn't he?

sidvan
07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
what was the attendance?

21,837 announced

Is it just me but didn't Maicon seem like we had a Brazillian Dichio out there with his back to goal, head flicks and back heel flips to the forwards.

Not DD's stature yet but sure seemed reminiscent of Danny's play. Will have to wait and see if he pans out but I am encouraged by the debut.

:scarf:

koryo
07-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Agreed. With Mista and Maicon up front, playing Barrett as a winger might be a very smart move, especially given his crossing ability and speed.

Agreed. Barrett can't score in a month of Fridays, I think we can all agree.

However, he: has peerless work rate, can win the ball, can hold the ball, can run lots, can cross the ball.

He's the width we've been looking for.

koryo
07-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I have to disagree a bit with those who knocked Usanov. I thought there were a few key instanaces in the second half where he was quite strong when the Rapids were threatening. In fact I was very impresssed with how the entire team stood strong during that pant-filling flurry of pinball near the end.

Usanov is anything but a liability. Ok, he'll get more than his share of cards. But remember, for every card he earns, he makes 9 very good tackles that aren't carded.

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Anyone else notice how we never miss JDG when he doesn't play?

Pretty crappy game. But oh well, I'll take the 3 points.

Mr. Bigby
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM

I guess we were at different games. The one I saw had two pretty evenly matched teams, as shown by the fact that we are now tied for points in the standings. Each team had chances, but the difference was that this year's version of TFC gutted it out. It may not have been pretty at times, but by god there were exciting moments!

rocker
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Close call.

Could have easily been a destabilizing loss.

Difference between this year and last year is, it wasn't.

ya, how many games have we lost in the past on a close call?
nice to hold on and get the 3 points this time.

MLS is often so tight that you succeed or fail on the smallest things. Glad to be on the good side!

Dub Narcotic
07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Is the game available for download anywhere?

bgnewf
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Great day. Just back from the Duke of Gloucester. Some random thoughts:

Frei made about thre wonderful saves in the last 20 odd minutes to save the three points for us today. Great job.

Thank god Brizzo did not injure himself when he had that slight spill off the capo stand.

Dan Gargan is steadily becoming my favourite player.

We missed the calmness and control of JDG in the centre of the park today.

Ibby took a strikers strike to score the winner.

Salazar is a twat. DeRo should have had a second half penalty.

Maicon was inches away from a deserved red card. How he did not get a yellow is beyond me. Je does have some ability though.

Most important win of the season by a country mile.

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Anyone else notice how we never miss JDG when he doesn't play?

I guess you didn't read the last 2 pages. :drinking:

It was a crappy game, in part, because we were missing JDG.

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Great day. Just back from the Duke of Gloucester. Some random thoughts:

Dan Gargan is steadily becoming my favourite player.

I couldn't agree with this more. TFC has never had a utility player like this guy. that's two games where he's been the best player on the field and at the same time he's playing differnet positions in the same game.

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I guess you didn't read the last 2 pages. :drinking:

HAHA, that's funny, that you refer to the last two pages, cause you are the only one that posted that we missed JDG before my post.

And no, I don't agree, JDG has nothing to do with this being a bit of a crappy 1-0 game. Unless you think JDG is going to put the ball in the net for us?

TFCwestcan
07-10-2010, 05:40 PM
The second half was so much more exciting than the first half, although a bit nervy in the last few minutes. I thought Usanov had a better second half he looked really rusty the first half. Maicon looks like he might be effective on free kicks within range he seems to have a good foot. Really great goal, good to see Ibby making the most of things and giving Preki something to think about. The team was really tested in there half at times although Colorado do have a good offensive team. Finally three points.

pekduck
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
in addition, i think we did relatively well because Sanyang did not play...

horrible 1st touch, gives away way too many balls, doesn't create constructive movements when had possession

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 05:43 PM
HAHA, that's funny, that you refer to the last two pages, cause you are the only one that posted that we missed JDG before my post.

Guess you didn't read Denime's post. :rolleyes:

Anyways, you said "did anyone" which indicates to me, at least, that you hadn't read my posts either.

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Guess you didn't read Denime's post. :rolleyes:

Anyways, you said "did anyone" which indicates to me, at least, that you hadn't read my posts either.

If you want to get so technical, the question was did anyone notice that we DIDN'T miss JDG today. Meaning the question didn't apply to you ;)

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
If you want to get so technical, the question was did anyone notice that we DIDN'T miss JDG today. Meaning the question didn't apply to you ;)

Oh, I understand. Did I notice that YOU, Pachuco, didn't miss JDG today. No, I hadn't noticed that. :D

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh, I understand. Did I notice that YOU, Pachuco, didn't miss JDG today. No, I hadn't noticed that. :D

Well I was the second person to post that we didn't miss JDG, so 2 against 2, but hey, who's counting :)

I'm sure there's something else we can talk about that is more entertaining.

Looking forward to seeing Mista on the field, I believe we still have some scoring problems to take care of.

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Agreed. Hopefully Mista will be an answer to our scoring issues.

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
BTW - how far has Hscanovic fallen off the radar that we played two players out of position today instead of playing him in his natural position. I really think we gots to do something about this and get a true LB.

bigtfcfan
07-10-2010, 05:59 PM
how come the avg attendance for TFC home games is only 17,000. The avg was over 20,000 last week, and today's game was 22,000, so one would expect the avg to go up...

TFC Cityboy
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Gargan was great but quite how Stefan Frei was not MoTM baffles me. 4 or 5 outstanding saves.

Derko
07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
OBW and Usanov were worse than usual. I'll take the points but we have to win next week's game.
I'll have to disagree about Usanov, I think he played very well, OBW on the other hand was invisible. Just how I read the game. I thought Usanov defended well and made some very good crosses and runs up the wing.

Cheers

morgank1986
07-10-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=1822&id=6697

Just watched the Match Highlights on mlsnet.com. Absolutely dreadful commentary, worse than usual, these guys don't sound at all happy to but up at noon to call this game.

Listen to how emotionless he is when Ibby scores.

Flipityflu
07-10-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=1822&id=6697

Just watched the Match Highlights on mlsnet.com. Absolutely dreadful commentary, worse than usual, these guys don't sound at all happy to but up at noon to call this game.

Listen to how emotionless he is when Ibby scores.

i think its because these guys are Rapids homers. at least i really hope so.

gtaguy
07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
OBW had a subpar game however getting rid of him only follows this clubs short history of getting rid of players that don't work out and don't give immediate results. I seriously think that is counter productive and does not help a players mental developement in any way.. Have we not learned already from the many mistakes we have done trading players and then they break out in other clubs.. There is something about OBW that i like however i think he needs to be used more as a poacher instead of making him run the field.. He doesn't have the legs to run back and forth and get into a scoring position.. Although with Mista coming in to play soon he just might be displaced from his position..

Hooligan69
07-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Lack of sleep and overexposure to the sun/heat are a lethal combination. Came to close to a medical emergency in the city today and missed the TFC game as a result. Well, three points are more important to me than my own health so all is good, I guess.

Shakes McQueen
07-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Almost forgot one of the cool things from the broadcast today - CBC put Dick Howard in the booth with Nigel!

I was glad to see them give Howard a chance. I think he did well.

- Scott

Broadview
07-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I liked hearing Dick Howard today as well. Seemed like it took him the 1st half to get comfortable but then really seemed to enjoy himself, throwing in a little humor now and then even. He can come back!

devioustrevor
07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Almost forgot one of the cool things from the broadcast today - CBC put Dick Howard in the booth with Nigel!

As much as I loved De Vos as captain Canada, he really doesn't do it for me as a colour guy. He seems like he'd be more suited to a role as an in-studio analyst than a PbP guy.

TFCRegina
07-10-2010, 10:40 PM
2nd BMO game of my life and the season, 3rd TFC game ever.

I have a perfect record, 3-0-0. Never seen TFC lose, always happy with the results. Today though, the lads seemed to be on their game and playing creatively...unlike against New England where they ground out the win. The scoreline today could have easily been 2 or 3 nil if TFC had gotten a little bit of luck and decent reffing.

Yagbod
07-10-2010, 10:53 PM
South end was in fine form today. 110 was very vocal. Great enthusiasm for a 12pm start.

Blizzard
07-10-2010, 11:10 PM

It sounds like they may have been calling it off monitors in a Denver TV studio. The lack of leakage into the commentary microphones also smacks of a studio/monitor call.

Perhaps if the audio engineer at the studio had cranked up the ambient audio into their headsets, they might have picked up their enthusiasm to a degree.

The almost total lack of crowd ambience in their mix is laughable especially compared to the CBC audio on Game In Six.

TFCUNITED
07-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I was watching part of the game on atdhe before I switched over to CBC when I found out they were streaming it (didn't know if they were because of the world cup) and the difference was night and day. For the Colorado one I couldn't hear anything but them talking. For the CBC one I heard them talking and I could hear the crowd crystal clear. The Colorado people must of done it from a studio because there was no background noise at all.

twistedchinaman
07-11-2010, 02:45 AM
I have a perfect record, 3-0-0. Never seen TFC lose, always happy with the results.

Ouch!

Thanks for rubbing it in with salt... :(

Brooker
07-11-2010, 03:49 AM

I don't care how much of a homer you are, that call was absolutely pathetic... . especially given the fact that nobody scores for an entire hour. it was funny though.

i loved the Lopez call when he almost scored.... oh oh Oh Oh OH OH OH!!!!

Keystone FC
07-11-2010, 04:10 AM
2nd BMO game of my life and the season, 3rd TFC game ever.

I have a perfect record, 3-0-0. Never seen TFC lose, always happy with the results. Today though, the lads seemed to be on their game and playing creatively...unlike against New England where they ground out the win. The scoreline today could have easily been 2 or 3 nil if TFC had gotten a little bit of luck and decent reffing.
So when are you moving to Toronto? You can stay at BMO as long as you like. In fact how would feel about BMO being your funeral plot.

Keystone FC
07-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Looking at the standings
http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/standings
We really needed to win this match. The ole 'if the league ended today' we would have the 7th spot.
Also, along those lines, it would be 5 clubs from the West and only 3 from the East in the playoffs.
We are also tied with Colorado and San Jose in points but I think we hold the tie breaker with SJ. Colorado would be one goal ahead of us with their 3-1 win early in the season.
We next face Philly who we beat 2-1 in April, but this time it's at their new SSS and they look pretty good in their new digs. By no means will this be an easy match...just ask Seattle.

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 07:21 AM
According to Wikipedia, we are currently 5th place in the overall standings, though tied with a couple of teams in points.

The more staggering statistic, is that we haven't lost in eleven games, all competitions considered. In MLS, we haven't lost a game since week six. We've given up two goals in our last nine matches.

Our enigmatic offense can get pretty frustrating, but you can't argue with that defensive turnaround.

- Scott

JuliquE
07-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Looking at the standings
http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/standings
We really needed to win this match. The ole 'if the league ended today' we would have the 7th spot.
Also, along those lines, it would be 5 clubs from the West and only 3 from the East in the playoffs.
We are also tied with Colorado and San Jose in points but I think we hold the tie breaker with SJ. Colorado would be one goal ahead of us with their 3-1 win early in the season.
We next face Philly who we beat 2-1 in April, but this time it's at their new SSS and they look pretty good in their new digs. By no means will this be an easy match...just ask Seattle.
Given our "away-goal," we're dead even with Colorado.. though I'm not sure if they employ this rule.

ManUtd4ever
07-11-2010, 09:29 AM
According to Wikipedia, we are currently 5th place in the overall standings, though tied with a couple of teams in points.

The more staggering statistic, is that we haven't lost in eleven games, all competitions considered. In MLS, we haven't lost a game since week six. We've given up two goals in our last nine matches.

Our enigmatic offense can get pretty frustrating, but you can't argue with that defensive turnaround.

- Scott

Agreed. I am genuinely optimistic this season because of TFC's defensive acumen under Preki's guidance. While I have been underwhelmed by the offensive display of the club thus far I'm confident that the sudden emergence of Ibrahim combined with the additions of Mista and Maicon Santos will provide that elusive offensive spark to the Reds moving forward...

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I disagree that Ibby has "suddenly emerged". He scored a nice goal this weekend, but hadn't done much of anything in his playing time earlier this season.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
07-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Ibby hasn't played any meaningful minutes this season prior to the last couple of games. I practically wrote him off earlier this season because it seemed he was destined to be a bench warmer yet again this year. At the very least, he has made the most of his opportunity the last 2 games and had a direct hand in both goals scored. Ibby has demonstrated that he can contribute to the offense either as a starter or a sub if given the opportunity...

ArmenJBX
07-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I remember under Carver ibby scored a couple goals too

AL-MO
07-11-2010, 10:06 AM
South end was in fine form today. 110 was very vocal. Great enthusiasm for a 12pm start.

Funny those in 112 and surrounding thought we were pretty shit!

(myself included)

:lol:

Darlofletch
07-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Not the prettiest game, but 3 points is 3 points. count me amongst the people who missed JDG. first half especially we could barely get out of our half for long stretches of time without the long ball.

De Ro had a good game, the first 20 minutes or so of the second half he was on fire, running at their defence, not sure why it wasn't a penalty when he was tripped. he was obviously looking for contact to try and win a penalty, but that doesn't mean he didn't get fouled.

Gargan and Frei had great games as well, and Cann did well against Casey.
Maicon looked alright, though he would have been sent off if he'd made contact with that two footed "tackle" he attempted.

Ibbe? well he scored, and he can take a good corner, but he seemed quite ineffective aside from that. Not entirely his fault, as we seemed to be using him as a target man, he was going up for headers a lot against their defenders, which i thought was an absolutely hopeless tactic, but then that's how we scored, so that shows what i know.

White was very ineffective again, I'm not going to join the people saying he should be traded, but I'm glad we've got other options ahead of him, hopefully he can contribute occasionally as a sub.

Preki, 2 subs at half time again (was saric injured, I know he got hurt just before half time) I like that he's ready to change things so decisively, but it's really playing with fire, and could come back to hurt us one of these days, almost happened here with all the cramp towards the end.

I'm not a fan of the noon start, but aside from that no real complaints.

spark
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I disagree that Ibby has "suddenly emerged". He scored a nice goal this weekend, but hadn't done much of anything in his playing time earlier this season.

- Scott

Last weekend? I would use that expression more with regards to him playing on the wing. As a striker he's been useless but in his two games out wide (last week and this one) looked much better. Of course it's only two games but in those two was responsible for both goals. I think that warrants another start for sure to see if he can make a run of it.

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Last weekend? I would use that expression more with regards to him playing on the wing. As a striker he's been useless but in his two games out wide (last week and this one) looked much better. Of course it's only two games but in those two was responsible for both goals. I think that warrants another start for sure to see if he can make a run of it.

Please keep in mind I'm not slagging Ibby, or suggesting he should be traded, or whatever. I simply don't see two decent games in a row as a "sudden emergence", after he hadn't done anything before that.

Ibby looked like he had regressed last season in the time he got, and that trend looked like it had continued this season, until very recently.

If Ibby continues to play like he has the past couple of weeks in a new role, fantastic. I want all of our guys to succeed - even Garcia. I'm just wary of making declarations like that, based on such a small body of work.

- Scott

spark
07-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Please keep in mind I'm not slagging Ibby, or suggesting he should be traded, or whatever. I simply don't see two decent games in a row as a "sudden emergence", after he hadn't done anything before that.

Ibby looked like he had regressed last season in the time he got, and that trend looked like it had continued this season, until very recently.

If Ibby continues to play like he has the past couple of weeks in a new role, fantastic. I want all of our guys to succeed - even Garcia. I'm just wary of making declarations like that, based on such a small body of work.

- Scott

Totally agree. I think people, myself included, might overblow performances especially when we're not used to seeing it from certain players.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Please keep Dick Howard with Nigel Reed..Fabulous together!!!

ManUtd4ever
07-11-2010, 01:10 PM

- Scott

I merely suggested that Ibby suddenly emerged as a forward that might be able to contribute to the offense moving forward after being the forgotten man for the last year and a half. I made no declaration that he is our offensive savior. Hopefully he will continue to make the most of his opportunity to play meaningful minutes on the pitch...

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
I made no declaration that he is our offensive savior.

I never accused you of declaring that.

- Scott

Fushida
07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Other than the goal he scored Ibrahim was woeful in passing and wasn't much of a presence... I don't see what the big deal is. The goal was more of a defensive blunder than a moment of brilliance by him.

Granted he's still only 19 but I don't see his "progress" in the last 2 years as being reason for optimism.

rocker
07-11-2010, 01:56 PM
ya I was really annoyed at Ibrahim until the goal.

twistedchinaman
07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Please keep Dick Howard with Nigel Reed..Fabulous together!!!

I have a strange feeling it'll happen again...but only for rare occasions like the MLS Cup Final or something like that.

Which reminds me...when Dick was waxing lyric about his time in Rochester, Nigel said "I remember it well..." as if he was in Rochester in the 70's...did anyone get that sense?

twistedchinaman
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
ya I was really annoyed at Ibrahim until the goal.

I'll do you one better (or worse) -- I had forgotten he was still with us, until that goal. Thought he had disappeared off the face of the Earth...

jloome
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh and yes...Maicon Santos: I'd give him a couple more games before coming to a conclusion about him, but still...I'm as confounded as the rest of you about Chivas' decision. Did he and Vasquez (coach) not see eye to eye? Spanish-Portuguese language gap?

I just don't see it.

Saw two sides to him yesterday; good technical ability and opportunism, poor reading of the field around him. He went up twice for open headers and gifted them back to the Rapids.

The more he has to play two ways, the more exposed he'll be. But he looks good as a target man.

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
One thing I liked about Maicon, is that he looked like he might have a killer shot on him. He took a couple of chances that curled really nice, and didn't miss the mark by very much.

In Preki's defensive style, having a couple of offense-first guys like him might balance out nicely.

- Scott

bgnewf
07-11-2010, 03:09 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/07/626/

Some video comments on yesterday’s victory for Toronto FC over the Colorado Rapids at BMO Field plus a look ahead to the Philadelphia Union away next weekend, where Preki has some interesting tactical decisions that need to be made.

CoachGT
07-11-2010, 07:07 PM
where Preki has some interesting tactical decisions that need to be made.

The only tactical decision to be made is to put the best team possible on the pitch.

Darlofletch
07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
The only tactical decision to be made is to put the best team possible on the pitch.

Well, without having watched the video blog, i think that's kind of the point, what is the best team possible? do we go back to two holding midfielders again, or go with the more attacking lineup we saw today. Do we treat it as an away game, or a game against a very beatable team etc etc. ie tactical decisions.

trane
07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Saw two sides to him yesterday; good technical ability and opportunism, poor reading of the field around him. He went up twice for open headers and gifted them back to the Rapids.

The more he has to play two ways, the more exposed he'll be. But he looks good as a target man.

Agreed. Altought if you are proven right about position sense,( which I kind of agree, I am just not sure because of the new team factor) that may limit his effectivness as such.

Yagbod
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Funny those in 112 and surrounding thought we were pretty shit!

(myself included)

:lol:

12 o'clock starts are the very worst. The most vocal are usually still hung over.

I took that into consideration in terms of my assessment.

So, "pretty fine form, considering....", if that helps.

maninb
07-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Other than the goal he scored Ibrahim was woeful in passing and wasn't much of a presence... I don't see what the big deal is. The goal was more of a defensive blunder than a moment of brilliance by him.

Granted he's still only 19 but I don't see his "progress" in the last 2 years as being reason for optimism.

Agree 100%...Ibby is a defensive liabilty and yeah it was nice he scored but I can't see him, Sanyang, and OBW being anything but emergency fillins for the rest of the season...none of the 3 offer anything consistent...and Uselessanov is a red card waiting to happen at the best of times...he's quite good going forward but his tackling skills are scary...

Roogsy
07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
BTW...my man Jeffro went absolutely nuts when Preki decided to use our last sub at the 70th minute or thereabouts. His exact words were: Players get tired and hurt in these conditions, you need to save your subs.

Not 5 minutes later we had not one but two players go down and no subs left. I can't believe nobody hasn't mentioned Ibby hobbling around out there for the last 10 minutes.

Jeffro knows what he is talking about. Somebody hire this fool...

FluSH
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Almost forgot one of the cool things from the broadcast today - CBC put ***** Howard in the booth with Nigel!

I was glad to see them give Howard a chance. I think he did well.

- Scott

I thought this was an EXCELLENT CHOICE. Kudos to CBC... this is a great partnership

Darlofletch
07-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I much prefer Jason de Vos. Dick Howard's all about chit chat and I remember when....anecdotes, You actually get more analysis and criticism with De Vos.

I just can't taKe Howard seriously since the u-20 world cup he was working on in 2007, and one of his keys to the game was the fact that the Czech Goalie was called Radek Petr, which reminded him of Petr Cech. Seriously, not just a throwaway comment during the game, but actually in pre game analysis of the final, that was one of his things to watch for/keys to the game/wahtever they called it. Just because of his name, not his play or anything. awful. So no kudos to CBC from me.

edit: It's obvious why they went with someone else for this game with De Vos doing world cup stuff, but please CBC, no repeats unless absolutely necessary.

SilverSamurai
07-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Isn't the 2nd broadcast person usually a former player, someone who's played the game (recently)?
That's why I like Forrest and De Vos, at the end of the day TFC is a Canadian team and I like hearing stuff referencing back to the CMNT but mainly Canadian players.

Carts
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Isn't the 2nd broadcast person usually a former player, someone who's played the game (recently)?
That's why I like Forrest and De Vos, at the end of the day TFC is a Canadian team and I like hearing stuff referencing back to the CMNT but mainly Canadian players.

Yes, in North American broadcasting ideally you have a TV talent commentating, and then a former player or coach do analysis - sometimes even three people / having two analysts with the commentator...

However, the British feed the CBC picked up for the World Cup proved that one man can do the job of two quite well...

Carts...

SilverSamurai
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, in North American broadcasting ideally you have a TV talent commentating, and then a former player or coach do analysis - sometimes even three people / having two analysts with the commentator...

However, the British feed the CBC picked up for the World Cup proved that one man can do the job of two quite well...

Carts...
That's debatable/personal preference.
I'm by no means a fan of the British feed. Find it too boring, not enthusiastic at all.
Yet, I like listening to Nigel Reed during the CBC broadcasts. lol

Univision had 3 during the last few matches. Would sometimes go waay off topic and talk politics... lol

C.Ronaldo
07-12-2010, 11:22 AM
i didnt like the British guy bashing poor play all the time.

really dry humour, and no enthusiasm or passion

mmmikey
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM

totally. agree. we missed his ability in the middle of the park, lacked ability to hold the ball well throughout the match.

some guys are totally biased against JDG and will hate on him unless he morphs into an AM or striker.

rocker
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
BTW...my man Jeffro went absolutely nuts when Preki decided to use our last sub at the 70th minute or thereabouts. His exact words were: Players get tired and hurt in these conditions, you need to save your subs.

Not 5 minutes later we had not one but two players go down and no subs left. I can't believe nobody hasn't mentioned Ibby hobbling around out there for the last 10 minutes.

well, every season we have critics of subs.

I remember critics of Carver's saying he didn't make subs soon enough.

mmmikey
07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
My thoughts on the game..

1. Howard or De Vos? Who cares! Better than Forrest!!!

2. Usanov isn't great, but he also isn't terrible. Does give me a bit of the "oh craps" when i see him gearing up for a tackle.. Always looks like he is about to red card tackle someones ass.

3. OBW.. everyone is calling for his head but I'm very afraid he will be the next Buddle/Cunningham. Leaves and lights it up for another team. At the very least I don't think he is going anywhere since I believe he is on a GA contract. Lose him and you have to fit his replacement under the cap. Doubt that will happen.

4. Agree with the idea of putting Barrett on the wing. Was skeptical about having both Maicon and Mista start together since they are both larger, less mobile players, but if you have Barrett and DeRo working the wings with alot of pace (with Peterson to come in off bench shifting either of them up top to play off one of the M&Ms when needed) then it could work very well. Especially since Usanov & Gargan can actually go forward without totally forgetting that they need to still play defense at some point during the game.

5. Said in post above, JDG's ability to hold the ball in the middle of the park is way underestimated by some. There was some serious hot potato moments. He isn't the diving crunching tackle DM, but with the refs in MLS this can be a risky style anyhow and I still believe that a JDG/Labrocca combo in the middle is the best bet. Frankly thought Labrocca looked a little average without him.

6. Credit to Ibby and his goal. That's all about tenacity. He does look a little more physically capable of contributing. He always looked like a pile of twigs ready to be blown over, but as he's maturing he seems better able to handle the game. Always going to be a skinny dude though. Aside from his physical development I'm not sure I see him developing enough year to year.. Always seems to do a little something, but never quite seems like a finished product. Totally snubbed Maicon on his goal celebration! lol.

FootieChick
07-12-2010, 02:44 PM

I agree 100%... I looked at Frankie and said "Um... we have 20 mins left and no subs... wtf?" Either way, thankfully we made it. I haven't spoken to Ibrahim yet, but I'm gonna ask him wtf happened?!