PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan De Guzman

geordieboy
07-08-2010, 08:40 AM
It looks like Newcastle United are chasing Jonathan De Guzman after he was released by Feyenoord. Getting him on a free would be a good piece of business but why weren't TFC looking at him before signing Mista????

JonO
07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Just because we want to sign someone does not me he wants to sign with us.

Billy the kid
07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I can't imagine they haven't thought of that already.

bgnewf
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
It looks like Newcastle United are chasing Jonathan De Guzman after he was released by Feyenoord. Getting him on a free would be a good piece of business but why weren't TFC looking at him before signing Mista????

Your logic is slightly flawed. There is no confirmation either way of Toronto contacted him or not about coming here.

Getting him on a free would be a nice piece of business but of course it would have to be for DP money.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
hes young and promising and highly rated, does not compute (except the injury bit)

Suds
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM
If club as big as Newcastle is looking at Jonathan I'm sure he will take hard look at them. Especially now that they are moving back to the Premier League.

SilverSamurai
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't he count as an international slot? ;)

Shaughno
07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I've heard he's also considering offers from Valencia and Espanyol... so I highly doubt TFC would persuade him out of one of those clubs to be honest.

Super
07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Hmm, not sure I'd want the guy since he rejected Canada. And also, wouldn't we rather want a DP striker? I think so.

sampace
07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't want a player who is not good enough to be on Holland's national team anyway, he should of thought about that before switching teams. He could have been a bigger fish playing for Canada, as appose to a player who may only suit up 2 for Holland if he is lucky.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Given the Mista signing and the link with Deportivo, I find it hard to believe that no one at TFC, including his brother Julian, approached Jonathan de Guzman regarding a possible transfer. JDG2 is still looking to sign for a big-name club in Europe, Newcastle or otherwise.

By the way, although Jono chose the Netherlands over Canada, it is still worth noting that he is not cap-tied for either country. The final chapter in this saga hasn't been written, though I'd assume that the younger de Guzman would rather forego a national team career than switch back to the Canada camp.

ginkster88
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
If JDG2 wants to play internationally his only option at this point is to suit up for Canada. With his knee issues and lack of significant club efforts the past two years his days with the Oranje are likely over.

brad
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Given the Mista signing and the link with Deportivo, I find it hard to believe that no one at TFC, including his brother Julian, approached Jonathan de Guzman regarding a possible transfer. JDG2 is still looking to sign for a big-name club in Europe, Newcastle or otherwise.

Julian most likely would advise him not to sign for TFC. Better for his career at this stage not to.

I've heard him say as much in a past interview.

Fort York Redcoat
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Canada supporters-Is there enough forgiveness in your hearts?

Not really for me.

bgnewf
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Not really for me.

Nor I either....

But could he not theoretically still play for Canada considering he was not officially capped by the Oranje??

ginkster88
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
The Netherlands are in the World Cup Final this year. Canada won't likely be in a World Cup for a while. I don't think anyone can fault the guy for choosing the better side when he actually had a real shot. It'd be like a German or Belorussian hockey player having the option and a real shot at making Team Canada and winning a Gold Medal. It's a no-brainer.

ensco
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Yep, the obvious assumption is that the TFC somehow signed JDG's former teammate, but never once thought about JDG's brother.

ginkster88
07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
^^ :D

SilverSamurai
07-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Not really for me.
I'm sort of on the fence... but you can't deny he would seriously bolster the midfield and right now Canada has 1 of the best midfields in CONCACAF...

I guess another way to think of it is would you sell your soul (or part of it) for Canada to make the WC? :canada:

P-NUTZ
07-08-2010, 02:14 PM
haahaa....he'll never play in or for canada. i think he already drew his line whether he regrets it/cares later or not.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Not really for me.

I'd welcome him back if he played for us. I have never been as angry toward Jono as I have been with Lensky or Begovic. Yes, de Guzman could have clearer to the media regarding his choice to play for the Netherlands, but unlike the other two players he never openly stated that he would play for Canada. I have no respect for Lensky or Begovic, but I'd make an exception for Jono if he donned the red and white.

Oldtimer
07-08-2010, 03:05 PM
In his defense, Jono learned his craft in the Netherlands, after being passed over by the OSA.

Something totally different from the many players who learned here, then played for other nations.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
In his defense, Jono learned his craft in the Netherlands, after being passed over by the OSA.

Something totally different from the many players who learned here, then played for other nations.

This is a good point. Not only was Jono trained in the Netherlands, but he's been there since he was 12. His case is much different from that of a player who was born and raised here, and trained by a local academy.

Pachuco
07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Another midfielder, exactly what we need.

ag futbol
07-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Well he's really just an opportunist.

He wasn't overlooked by the OSA but he had some nasty episodes with them.

At one point the OSA tried to block his transfer to feyenoord so he could play in a provincial tournament (talk about small minded).

Toronto Ruffrider
07-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Another midfielder, exactly what we need.

A creative, attacking midfielder? You bet we could use him.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Well he's really just an opportunist.

He wasn't overlooked by the OSA but he had some nasty episodes with them.

At one point the OSA tried to block his transfer to feyenoord so he could play in a provincial tournament (talk about small minded).

That was quite the petty action on the part of the OSA. I don't like it when players throw the CSA or a provincial association out as a random excuse for not playing for Canada, but in this case I sympathize with Jono. To try to block a player's move to an elite club is a real dick move.

Wolfe
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I would love to see him both in TFC red as well as Canada red. I don't mind at all that he picked Netherlands as others stated he has been there since he was 12 and has been trained in their systems, he also thought that he would have a better chance at success with them. It hasn't turned out as he had injuries that stopped him from getting playing time, so if he is able to play for Canada and wants to I say go for it.

If you had a chance to play for Canada and only play in qualifiers or play for another country (which you have lived a great deal of your life in and learned your trade) and have a chance to not only play in the World Cup, but also make it through a few rounds, then I'm sure 95% of the people on here would do that

Stouffville_RPB
07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
TFC have definately looking into JDG2 on some level. Plain and simple he has no interest in playing in Canada at this point in his career (if ever). Frankly he wouldn't be the first person to think this way.

How long did JDG hold onto the hopes of staying in Spain before signing here? TFC wasn't his first choice either but they were the ones willing to show him the money that he wanted so badly.

Pachuco
07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
A creative, attacking midfielder? You bet we could use him.

For what? so he can fight over the spot with Dero. We've just signed a striker. Meaning you should see Dero now as THE attacking midfielder. You'd have our two best players playing the exact same position. No thanks.

We need a LB and some wingers way before we need another attacking midfielder.

Roogsy
07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Yup, yup and yup. We have absolutely nada, zilch, zero in terms of wingplay. We are a one-dimensional team. Thankfully we're defending like maniacs and eeking out 0-0 and 0-1 games because if somebody scores on us, chances are we won't be able to respond.

Stouffville_RPB
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
For what? so he can fight over the spot with Dero. We've just signed a striker. Meaning you should see Dero now as THE attacking midfielder. You'd have our two best players playing the exact same position. No thanks.

Unless you mean an outside midfielder I can't see Preki's hard-on for Sanyang or Saric softening anytime soon.

I see DeRo playing as a forward or wide midfielder.

Mista ------ Dero

or

DeRo ------ Sanyang ------- JDG ------ Labrocca

Fort York Redcoat
07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
The Netherlands are in the World Cup Final this year. Canada won't likely be in a World Cup for a while. I don't think anyone can fault the guy for choosing the better side when he actually had a real shot. It'd be like a German or Belorussian hockey player having the option and a real shot at making Team Canada and winning a Gold Medal. It's a no-brainer.

The same old argument. I don't have to be balanced about this. I am a Canada supporter and just like every other nations supporter I'm fully aware of my God-given right to have the hypocritical view of

One arm welcomes the new Canadian to our squad
While the other shakes a fist at the one that got away.:D

:canada::canada::canada:

ag futbol
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM
For obvious reasons, he's not coming here. But to put it simply if he was available, you'd sign him regardless of what you had on your roster.

At one point he was one of the most highly regarded prospects in europe (no typo). Now he's dropped off a bit, but in terms of MLS signings this would be very high on the list in terms of some of the best talent ever acquired.

He can play on the wing or centrally as an AM. Would definitely take all our free kicks as well.

Pachuco
07-09-2010, 11:14 AM
For obvious reasons, he's not coming here. But to put it simply if he was available, you'd sign him regardless of what you had on your roster.

At one point he was one of the most highly regarded prospects in europe (no typo). Now he's dropped off a bit, but in terms of MLS signings this would be very high on the list in terms of some of the best talent ever acquired.

He can play on the wing or centrally as an AM. Would definitely take all our free kicks as well.

I disagree. We don't NEED another player of his caliber to win the cup. We need more balance. If we don't fix our LB problem soon then it doesn't matter who we play, so long as Garcia and Hscanovic are there they will continue to be exposed. I would MUCH rather get a decent LB and a decent winger then another super star who could just as likely shit the bed and then blame it on the quality of the league.

The days of signing players just for the hell of it should be over, Preki has shown that he atleast has a vision (whether I like it or not) and I don't see how JDGII fits in that vision.

MartinUtd
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
I could see JDG2 coming to TFC in the future, but not after he's further explored his options in Europe. It has gone on record that the De Guzman brothers would like to play on the same team eventually. Who knows, maybe in 4 or so years when DeRo is set to retire we could see the pairing happen. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I do see it as a possibility.