PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday, July.06

denime
07-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News.

No Canadian men’s World Cup until at least 2034: Canadian Soccer Association (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/article/832394--no-canadian-men-s-world-cup-until-at-least-2034-canadian-soccer-association)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

boban
07-06-2010, 05:33 AM
What useless piece of shit Montopoli is. He should step down immediately with those comments. This is why that organization is so fucked. Nobody with any vision at the head. Canada could get the 2026 or 2030 WC at the latest if we had someone with vision and passion. It's about defying the odds and pushing through, not conceding defeat. The WC no longer rotates among continents now that Africa got to host. Also, just to show how out of touch he is, S. Africa has at least 4 stadiums with less than 45,000 capacity, yet this twat says you need at least 10 50,000 seaters.

Oh, and that sunshine girl looks 14.

SteeltownBhoy
07-06-2010, 06:08 AM
OK

Does the Sun check birth certificates these days!!

Stouffville_RPB
07-06-2010, 06:11 AM
^ I think that Montopoli's comments were more about managing expectations than conceding defeat. I don't think he said anything that we already didn't know.

Develop the game properly here to improve the national team then go for a WC to push the program over the top.

keem-o-sabi
07-06-2010, 06:46 AM
coed ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/07/02/miss-coed-jacqueline-grey/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/07/01/miss-coed-stephanie-belknap/)

Technorgasm
07-06-2010, 07:10 AM
The impact of having 3 MLS teams in Canada is something that is diffifcult to plot.
Obviously it can only help, but qualification might be closer than we think. . all we need are a few players to step up out of the dark to qualify. .

I will hope for a shiock entry into WC action in the near future.

lets all shar3 in the Canadian dream. . the kids that are 11-15 could easily be raised to national team status considering that we now have a platform for them to get noticed by foreign teams that will nuture and develop them.

Keep the dream alive lads. . .

Oldtimer
07-06-2010, 07:52 AM
BMO and TFC are going to help youth soccer groups to come to TFC matches (part of a belated release on the jersey sponsorship):

BMO Renews Toronto FC Jersey Sponsorship

- BMO logo to appear on iconic uniform until 2016 - Toronto FC and BMO to provide more access to tickets for youth soccer groups

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bmo-renews-toronto-fc-jersey-sponsorship-2010-07-05?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Good news, we need to always think of the next generation.

Nice pic from the news release:

http://www.marketwire.com/library/20100705-TFC800.jpg

mdc 77
07-06-2010, 08:00 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/07/toronto-fc-signs-spanish-forward-mista

Oldtimer
07-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Thread on Mista signing:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=23480

CoachGT
07-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Montopoli's comments are about hosting, not about participating. And realistically, he's probably right. We need to show first that we can make it to a World Cup tournament and then show that we can compete before we'll even get a sniff at it.

Considering our only world cup appearance came in 1986 when the lone Concacaf qualifying sport, traditionally won by Mexico, was won by Canada (because Mexico was the host country and did not need to qualify), there isn't any surprise here.

We need a string of solid performances and at least three appearances at the World Cup before we'll get a shot at hosting.

Roogsy
07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I do agree the comments are stupid. 2034 is a random number that isn't based on anything else other than his recognition that the game here isn't anywhere near ready to host such an event. What he should have said is there is nothing in the near future that points to Canada being able to host it and end it right there. Instead he plucks a number out of thin air that makes no sense.

As for the SSG...I think the Sun transposed the numbers in her age. She is actually 12.

James17930
07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I think he's just saying that if the US hosts in 2022, it would take at least 12 years before FIFA would be wiling to return to the same region. So while it may be just his opinion, he's basing it on FIFA's past actions -- I don't think it's stupid at all. It's a fairly educated guess IMO.

Roogsy
07-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Considering the fact that FIFA is moving away from set regional schedules, the US in 2022 isn't even a given so why assume that in the first place? Let's say the US doesn't get 2022...does that mean we could get it in 2026? Of course not! LIke people have mentioned, he is short-sighted or tunnel-visioned. I don't know which but it doesn't serve the game in Canada at all.

He's just annoying that's all. He can have his opinion about 2034 all he likes, I still consider him and most of CSA to be complete idiots.

Suds
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
^ I think that Montopoli's comments were more about managing expectations than conceding defeat. I don't think he said anything that we already didn't know.

Develop the game properly here to improve the national team then go for a WC to push the program over the top.

Yeah, that's kind of the way I read it. It's also him positioning the idea that the Fed's would have to seriously consider investing major cash into infrastructure across Canada for stadiums. (which is a good thing)

So, Montopoli says we need 10 50,000 seat stadiums in the hope we get 7-8 45,000 seat stadiums. Asking for more than needed/expected is how it's done when going for government funds.

However, I do agree that the CSA could use some real vision. But that's another debate.

scooter
07-06-2010, 10:55 AM
mornin d

Fort York Redcoat
07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah I am not going to be too critical of Montopoli on this. It was a pretty realistic viewpoint and in the first place Montopoli actually talks to media unlike his predecessors who needed an inquiry or protest before they thought they had to get off their asses.

Wooster_TFC
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Decent article, terrible title. It's about hosting the world cup, not making it into it.

boban
07-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Montopoli's comments are about hosting, not about participating. And realistically, he's probably right. We need to show first that we can make it to a World Cup tournament and then show that we can compete before we'll even get a sniff at it.

Considering our only world cup appearance came in 1986 when the lone Concacaf qualifying sport, traditionally won by Mexico, was won by Canada (because Mexico was the host country and did not need to qualify), there isn't any surprise here.

We need a string of solid performances and at least three appearances at the World Cup before we'll get a shot at hosting.
US, Japan didn't participate squat before being awarded the WC.
All those countries used hosting the WC to push the sport, not other way around as you suggest.

TFC07
07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
US, Japan didn't participate squat before being awarded the WC.
All those countries used hosting the WC to push the sport, not other way around as you suggest.

Also I am sure FIFA will force Canada to form their own league if Canada wants to host WC.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
The single biggest hurdle in the way of Canada hosting the World Cup is infrastructure. That said, with a little creativity and the right partnerships, it would be possible to mount a World Cup bid. Here is how our stadium prospects look in each city:

Vancouver: After renovations are complete, BC Place Stadium will be as good as practically any venue in South Africa. The seating will still be configured to CFL football, but that isn't any different than the rugby-centric venues that are in use at the current WC. All that would remain at BC Place is the installation of a natural grass pitch.

Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium is certainly large enough, but it needs to be spruced up. At a minimum, at least a partial roof is needed for the press area, plus a natural grass surface.

Calgary: McMahon Stadium is getting on in years - it was originally built in 1960 - so it would need more of a face lift than Commonwealth. This venue needs to be expanded by at least a few thousand seats, and a roof and natural grass surface need to be installed.

Regina: The Riders are in need of a new stadium anyway, so a World Cup bid can be made in conjunction with the construction of a new CFL stadium.

Winnipeg: Same as Regina.

Hamilton: Same as Regina and Winnipeg, except that this venue is also being built for the Pan Am Games.

Toronto: This city would present quite a challenge for WC organisers. Toronto is the biggest city in the country, and it should have the largest venue. The Skydome isn't large enough to be the centrepiece stadium for a WC bid, but perhaps it could serve as our version of Ellis Park. If a new stadium seating 80,000+ is built in T.O., it will have to be built in partnership with another sporting bid - i.e. Olympics, NFL.

Ottawa: Lansdowne Park is going to be renovated, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make this venue World Cup-compatible.

Montreal: The Big Owe could really use some renovations, which if properly addressed could turn this venue into a major WC venue.

Quebec/Halifax: A new stadium in one of these cities would need to be built from scratch, but once again, perhaps construction could be made in partnership with a CFL team.

Given that at least 10 stadiums of 40,000+ capacity are required in order to host the World Cup, a lot of stars would need to align in order for a Canadian bid to be successful. The CSA needs to start coordinating with other organisations and political entities right now - CFL teams, the Federal Gov't, etc.

Dbl_D
07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh, and that sunshine girl looks 14.

Lets host another u-20 type WC (&score a goal at least) ... :D

maybe make it into a WC as a nation before hosting one...

ps... can someone bail me out of jail for looking at the SSG pic...

menefreghista
07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Given that at least 10 stadiums of 40,000+ capacity are required in order to host the World Cup, a lot of stars would need to align in order for a Canadian bid to be successful.

Only 9 stadiums were used at this World Cup.

Toronto Ruffrider
07-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Only 9 stadiums were used at this World Cup.

1) Green Point Stadium (Cape Town)
2) Moses Mabhida Stadium (Durban)
3) Soccer City (Jo'burg)
4) Ellis Park (Jo'burg)
5) Free State Stadium (Bloemfontein)
6) Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (Port Elizabeth)
7) Mbombela Stadium (Nelspruit)
8) Peter Mokaba Stadium (Polokwane)
9) Loftus Versfeld Stadium (Pretoria)
10) Royal Bafokeng Stadium (Rustenburg)

James17930
07-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Considering the fact that FIFA is moving away from set regional schedules, the US in 2022 isn't even a given so why assume that in the first place? Let's say the US doesn't get 2022...does that mean we could get it in 2026? Of course not! LIke people have mentioned, he is short-sighted or tunnel-visioned. I don't know which but it doesn't serve the game in Canada at all.

He's just annoying that's all. He can have his opinion about 2034 all he likes, I still consider him and most of CSA to be complete idiots.

Well, it would certainly give us a better chance. And yes, if the U.S. doesn't get it in 2022, I think we should make a bid for 2026, because that means it would not have been hosted in CONCACAF for 30 years.

But what Montopoli is saying is that if they do get it, we have to wait longer. Which seems to be fairly correct.

James17930
07-07-2010, 01:13 AM
The single biggest hurdle in the way of Canada hosting the World Cup is infrastructure. That said, with a little creativity and the right partnerships, it would be possible to mount a World Cup bid. Here is how our stadium prospects look in each city:

Vancouver: After renovations are complete, BC Place Stadium will be as good as practically any venue in South Africa. The seating will still be configured to CFL football, but that isn't any different than the rugby-centric venues that are in use at the current WC. All that would remain at BC Place is the installation of a natural grass pitch.

Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium is certainly large enough, but it needs to be spruced up. At a minimum, at least a partial roof is needed for the press area, plus a natural grass surface.

Calgary: McMahon Stadium is getting on in years - it was originally built in 1960 - so it would need more of a face lift than Commonwealth. This venue needs to be expanded by at least a few thousand seats, and a roof and natural grass surface need to be installed.

Regina: The Riders are in need of a new stadium anyway, so a World Cup bid can be made in conjunction with the construction of a new CFL stadium.

Hamilton: Same as Regina and Winnipeg, except that this venue is also being built for the Pan Am Games.

Toronto: This city would present quite a challenge for WC organisers. Toronto is the biggest city in the country, and it should have the largest venue. The Skydome isn't large enough to be the centrepiece stadium for a WC bid, but perhaps it could serve as our version of Ellis Park. If a new stadium seating 80,000+ is built in T.O., it will have to be built in partnership with another sporting bid - i.e. Olympics, NFL.

Ottawa: Lansdowne Park is going to be renovated, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make this venue World Cup-compatible.

Montreal: The Big Owe could really use some renovations, which if properly addressed could turn this venue into a major WC venue.

Quebec/Halifax: A new stadium in one of these cities would need to be built from scratch, but once again, perhaps construction could be made in partnership with a CFL team.

Given that at least 10 stadiums of 40,000+ capacity are required in order to host the World Cup, a lot of stars would need to align in order for a Canadian bid to be successful. The CSA needs to start coordinating with other organisations and political entities right now - CFL teams, the Federal Gov't, etc.

I love it when you do all the leg work on questions like this! :)

But just to add a few things -- Winnipeg is already getting a new stadium:

Winnipeg:

http://www.blueandgold.ca/images/stories/sodturning/final2.jpg

http://www.blueandgold.ca/images/stories/sodturning/main_concourse_1.jpg

It's 30k, expandable to 45k, and, of course, the good thing about a Canadian football field is that it's already the right size for soccer.

http://www.blueandgold.ca/

There are plans afoot in Regina as well:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Covered+Regina+stadium+costing+million+feasible+st udy/2627729/story.html

Hopefully, if this gets done, they also realize that they should make it soccer-ready, just in case. Although I'm a bit worried that if they go with only 33k and throw the roof on like that, it won't be expandable later on.

boban
07-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton are all getting new stadiums.
The trick is to make it expandable to about 45,000, which all plans call for.
Ottawa also would need to be expanded to about 50,000.
You are right about Toronto having to have the biggest stadium. No WC without that happening. But it doesn't have to be in conjunction with the Olympics.

boban
07-07-2010, 06:09 AM
There are plans afoot in Regina as well:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Covered+Regina+stadium+costing+million+feasible+st udy/2627729/story.html

Hopefully, if this gets done, they also realize that they should make it soccer-ready, just in case. Although I'm a bit worried that if they go with only 33k and throw the roof on like that, it won't be expandable later on.
If you keep reading, it says it could expand up to 45,000.

Fort York Redcoat
07-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Here's a funny thought: the CFL and Soccer Canada helping each other. All those stadiums being built for CFL teams, Olympics could be fast tracked with a World cup bid. Granted after it was held here the sport which has become the CFL's biggest competition would have more exposure than ever.

Roogsy
07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
The problem Pete is that there are barely any CFL stadiums that can satisfy FIFA's demand for an 80k+ soccer event and there won't be any on the way as neither the CFL or the CSA can ever claim to be able to use the stadium after the World Cup and therefore the government will never pitch in money.

Fort York Redcoat
07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
^Granted they've never done it to this scale but many of those stadiums are half full because they were built for something else (Skydome/Blue Jays, Stadium Olympique, Commonwealth Stadium). The concept has always left me unimpressed with end result but it just seems to be the only way for progress in building stadia. So unfortunately, it would probably mean building the 80k in TO for NFL.barf

Roogsy
07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
To be honest, I don't think that will ever happen. This city is already oversaturated with major league sports.

JonO
07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
^ It likely will not happen - but not because the city is oversaturated. If they priced it properly, it would sell like hotcakes...

ParadymeTFC
07-07-2010, 10:42 AM

hmmm my son will be 26, sounds good to me.
:D

Toronto Ruffrider
07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
If you keep reading, it says it could expand up to 45,000.

This is true. Even if the World Cup isn't factored in, Regina, Winnipeg et al still want to host the Grey Cup from time to time, and that requires the larger capacity figure.

boban
07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
The problem Pete is that there are barely any CFL stadiums that can satisfy FIFA's demand for an 80k+ soccer event and there won't be any on the way as neither the CFL or the CSA can ever claim to be able to use the stadium after the World Cup and therefore the government will never pitch in money.
That is so wrong.
Toronto bid for the Olympics many times in the past 20 years and every time the government was willing to pitch in money for a 80k+ stadium, heck even an 100K stadium was approved.
The infrastructure could and would be built. The only problem is a proper plan.