PDA

View Full Version : Former Manchester United Striker Febian Brandy Close To Toronto FC Move

Troll
07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Recently released Manchester United (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/england/97/man-utd-news) striker Febian Brandy (https://goal.com/en-gb/people/england/19467/febian-brandy) is closing in on a move to Toronto FC (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/teams/canada/881/toronto-fc) after his contract with the Premier League (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league) runners-up expired at the end of June....

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1884/north-america/2010/07/05/2011472/former-manchester-united-striker-febian-brandy-close-to

brad
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
This is being reported from United followers as well. Very interesting move if true.

ManUtd4ever
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I would welcome this move for the club but it seems premature to assume Brandy is close to signing with TFC as he is also considering offers from several European clubs at the moment...

BC101
07-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I also read this else where.. I didn't think it was true.. Now that its popped up here well it might happen but still dunno...

Flipityflu
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
intresting. also noticed that goal.com has Preki listed as our goalie, and Mo as the manager.

Troll
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
AndyWelshv.2

brad
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
AndyWelshv.2

You basethis opinion on what?

Troll
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
You basethis opinion on what?

Gillingham.... League 2. I'm pretty sure we could do better.

Lucky Strike
07-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Also posted in the trialists (which has also become a rumour mill) thread:

A second report talking about Brandy (and another player, but I don't want to derail the thread).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/reds-interested-man-utd-england-youth-player

ArmenJBX
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Jennison Myrie-William's is like Johann Smith. I don't expect much from him...

ArmenJBX
07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
The real question is, will he be our DP?

Oldtimer
07-05-2010, 06:41 PM
The real question is, will he be our DP?

I wouldn't make sense, unless it is done just to lessen the cap impact.

Oldtimer
07-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Also posted in the trialists (which has also become a rumour mill) thread:

A second report talking about Brandy (and another player, but I don't want to derail the thread).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/reds-interested-man-utd-england-youth-player

If it's posted there, it makes it very likely.

The fact that it's Preki and Jim who are interested, and not MoJo picking up yet another British reject, gives some hope. This is no Thierry Henry, though.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-05-2010, 07:06 PM
If it's posted there, it makes it very likely.

The fact that it's Preki and Jim who are interested, and not MoJo picking up yet another British reject, gives some hope. This is no Thierry Henry, though.
Or maybe...
Jim B. as assit. manager move makes sense now...
same move as mo did in the first year of our franchise... he made up a role in the club to take the heat off him...

ps: If Jimmy B. and Preki are player managing and squoting then what ta heck is Mo jO's role?????

swan
07-05-2010, 07:16 PM
intresting. also noticed that goal.com has Preki listed as our goalie, and Mo as the manager.

:rofl: thats a top notch site...:facepalm:

Darlofletch
07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
under whatever international, with a premier league team but never made the first team, loan spells at league two clubs before being released.

Johann Smith-tastic.

pass.

Oblio2
07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Who?

BayernTFC
07-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Here's Febian Brandy's interview with Sky Sports:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,15964_6245571,00.html

BayernTFC
07-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Jennison Myrie-William's is like Johann Smith. I don't expect much from him...
It was bad enough the first time around. I'm not interested in a second helping...

gtaguy
07-05-2010, 07:51 PM
It was bad enough the first time around. I'm not interested in a second helping...

ditto

brad
07-05-2010, 07:58 PM
under whatever international, with a premier league team but never made the first team, loan spells at league two clubs before being released.

Johann Smith-tastic.

pass.

You have heard of Kenny Cooper, haven't you?

razor787
07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Why all the judging before he even gets here? Everyone says we need depth, and at 21, he still has loads of time to mature as a footballer. If he comes in with a shread of talent, he can be very useful.

Judge him when you see him on the pitch, not because someone was a flop last year.

brad
07-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Why all the judging before he even gets here? Everyone says we need depth, and at 21, he still has loads of time to mature as a footballer. If he comes in with a shread of talent, he can be very useful.

He spent 12 years with Manchester United. You don't make it that long there without having more than a shred of talent.

Doesn't mean that he will make here, but he's a step ahead of the players his age coming out of the MLS draft as far as experience, pedigree and education.

Judge him when you see him on the pitch, not because someone was a flop last year.Exactly.

Brooker
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
lol @ the people who judge via Wikipedia.

TFC07
07-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Interesting. A young player who coming from Man Utd.

He has played for all England youth teams I believe. This will be an interesting move for him.

BTW is TFC the youngest team in MLS?

DichioTFC
07-06-2010, 12:39 AM
5'5 striker, 21 years old. Probably lacking strength considering the previous two points.

I'll pass on this rumour.

WHITEY
07-06-2010, 12:47 AM
5'5 striker, 21 years old. Probably lacking strength considering the previous two points.

Well another knowledgeable and experienced scout has spoken so this guy must be shit.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about his height, I'm pretty sure he'd be used as wide forward / winger or a second striker.

DichioTFC
07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Well another knowledgeable and experienced scout has spoken so this guy must be shit.

That's funny, I don't recall saying he was shit. I said he was short, inexperienced and most likely lacking strength.

But thanks for your sarcasm, much appreciated.

Keyman
07-06-2010, 01:20 AM
We should sign a 21 year old striker who's playing first division football, scoring buckets of goals and is guaranteed caps for his national team for the next decade.

Oh wait...that's never going to happen.

WHITEY
07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
That's funny, I don't recall saying he was shit. I said he was short, inexperienced and most likely lacking strength.

No sarcasm intended, there really are lots of experts around here that can manage a football team.

Azerban
07-06-2010, 05:13 AM
We should sign a 21 year old striker who's playing first division football, scoring buckets of goals and is guaranteed caps for his national team for the next decade.

Oh wait...that's never going to happen.

those sorts of players like to play for good teams

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2010, 06:21 AM
made me think of Ricketts but ill reserve all judgements once hes hit the field

bgnewf
07-06-2010, 06:28 AM

I will reserve judgment on this kid as I know next to nothing of him as a player, as with due respect, I think we all do. The issue here is cash. If a move like this can be done on the cheap so to speak without a "United Kingdom" premium then I say if the club thinks he has the talent then sign him.

If this kind of move precludes them signing a DP striker or a winger (larger needs then a relatively unproven player) then I say don't do it. Mo has fucked up the salary cap so badly that one further single mistake in signing players and using precious cap/allocation dollars can potentially fuck up the entire season.

Let me ask this question another way..... Would you trade this kid straight up for Sam Cronin??? If we use the allocation dollars from San Jose to sign him then essentially that is what we would be doing.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2010, 06:43 AM
once again id have to see him play (im suggesting some have seen him play before) and i dont rate cronin as highly as some here.
curious to see what the situation with Ornoch and Mista is if we are considering this fellow.

TFC_Junky
07-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I will reserve judgment on this kid as I know next to nothing of him as a player, as with due respect, I think we all do.

Let me ask this question another way..... Would you trade this kid straight up for Sam Cronin??? If we use the allocation dollars from San Jose to sign him then essentially that is what we would be doing.

I'll reserve judgment until he hits the pitch as well but according to your bolded statement, Yes, yes I would. I like Cronin but he didn't fit Preki's system. We all knew that, hence he got little playing time behind JDG. We need someone who can put the ball in the net, I'm judging Brandy yet but he's young, has experience and hopefully can make more of an impact that Cronin did. Just my humble opinion...

brad
07-06-2010, 07:17 AM

And actually, you are correct. One of Brandy's big problems was his size and lack of strength.

brad
07-06-2010, 07:18 AM

Again, why Ricketts and not Cooper?

brad
07-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Why is everyone writing of this kid without seeing him play? They aren't going to sign him expecting him to be the next Henry, they are going to sign him expecting him to replace OBW.

He is around the same age most of the MLS draft picks that everyone gets excited about every year, but of a far better pedigree.

Rather than spending the last decade playing with elite North American players and then NCAA caliber athletes, he has spent the last 12 years of his life in Manchester United's youth academy and then reserves- learning from some of the best in the business. And you don't make it 12 years in an academy like United's without having some potential.

He's learned about movement, finishing directly from training week in and week out with guys like Solskjaer, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nistlerooy. He's played against defenders like Ferdinand. He's had to deal with Roy Keane kicking has ass on the training ground.

He played in the EPL reserve division for three years, which is a higher standard than NCAA.

brad
07-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I will reserve judgment on this kid as I know next to nothing of him as a player, as with due respect, I think we all do. The issue here is cash. If a move like this can be done on the cheap so to speak without a "United Kingdom" premium then I say if the club thinks he has the talent then sign him.

I follow what's happening with United's promising youth fairly closely.

I have seen him play a couple of times, but he didn't really do much of note, and I wouldn't want to comment based on what I saw.

However, what United supporters that actually go and watch the reserve matches had to say about him a few years back - that out of the class of Macheda, Wellbeck and Campbell he was the most talented. A brilliant support striker and very, very quick (one of the quickest players at the club). However, they were also saying that he was the least likely to have a career at the top level in England due to his size. Basically, he would have to become a superstar to overcome that.

brad
07-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Here's an assessment of him (yes, it's Bigsoccer, but the poster is very knowledgeable about United prospects)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12534693&postcount=2

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Again, why Ricketts and not Cooper?

similar size and pedigree

brad
07-06-2010, 08:45 AM
similar size and pedigree

I will give you size. Cooper has the same pedigree. Actually, Brandy has better pedigree than Cooper did when comparing their time at United.

ag futbol
07-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Well let's see what he's got going for him. As we saw with Franco Niell, if you're THAT undersized in MLS you'll have to bring some other exceptional quality to the table. Either be extremely fast, very gifted technically, etc... That doesn't rule out him being good, but it certainly stacks up some bad odds against his favor.

I have nothing against getting players out of the lower english leagues (I'd gladly take Ryan Smith on our roster any day). But... we should note that it's normally an expensive place to get talent, so keeping one eye on price is important. Hopefully we'll use move savy than we have in the past...

ag futbol
07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
He's learned about movement, finishing directly from training week in and week out with guys like Solskjaer, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nistlerooy. He's played against defenders like Ferdinand. He's had to deal with Roy Keane kicking has ass on the training ground.

He played in the EPL reserve division for three years, which is a higher standard than NCAA.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but there's plenty of guys with this profile who still manage to suck balls, even in MLS terms. So while the experience is great, that doesn't mean he will be good.

There's got to be some other indicators out there suggesting he's got something to offer, because that alone isn't enough. Hearing about his speed for example is promising, I'd like to know more about how he's been doing lately.

TFC Cityboy
07-06-2010, 08:56 AM
interesting ...very interesting, tho I do wonder why he is looking at MLS at his age. He must be halfway decent if he's been at united since a kid, and God knows we need some pace and width.
If we can get him to add to Mista,we'll be a step closer to a good season now the defence is sorted.

brad
07-06-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but there's plenty of guys with this profile who still manage to suck balls, even in MLS terms. So while the experience is great, that doesn't mean he will be good.

I agree completely. Which is why I view him in the same light as viewing draft picks. I don't expected him to come over here and light things up. I am more excited about him than someone like OBW though.

There's got to be some other indicators out there suggesting he's got something to offer, because that alone isn't enough. Hearing about his speed for example is promising, I'd like to know more about how he's been doing lately.

Playing in the United reserves, and playing decently enough by all accounts.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I will give you size. Cooper has the same pedigree. Actually, Brandy has better pedigree than Cooper did when comparing their time at United.

arguably mroe physical game here, i guess we will see, im definitely not washing my hands of him without having seen him play.

trane
07-06-2010, 09:16 AM
No sarcasm intended, there really are lots of experts around here that can manage a football team.

I hope you are counting me among them. I am managing two team currently. I am doing well.

Darlofletch
07-06-2010, 09:43 AM
people are right, I probably shouldn't write him off before i see him play. But there's been a lot more examples of similar players with top flight epl pedigree failing in mls, than there have been Cooper like success stories. Terry Cooke was much more hyped and had much more experience in england, including (gasp, quiver, gush) Man United. Didn't exactly set the world on fire with Colorado did he?

But it's true, he could be another exception, so i shouldn't judge.

brad
07-06-2010, 10:14 AM
people are right, I probably shouldn't write him off before i see him play. But there's been a lot more examples of similar players with top flight epl pedigree failing in mls, than there have been Cooper like success stories. Terry Cooke was much more hyped and had much more experience in england, including (gasp, quiver, gush) Man United. Didn't exactly set the world on fire with Colorado did he?

But it's true, he could be another exception, so i shouldn't judge.

It's all about expectations, and because this is a capped league, salary. As I mentioned, I don't except him to light the league up.

I expect him to perform at the level of a top draft pick (or slightly above), at a salary that is more or less comparable.

scooter
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
we would be lucky to have him
but it should be salary and bonus based on performance ie 50 grand and 5 grand a goal---if he scores 20 then decent paycheck
these guys comming to our team with guarantees and dont produce is messed up
pay them all well based on good performance on the field
best example is cann -- they better up the anti or he will be gone next year

TFCtoMUFC
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
we would be lucky to have him
but it should be salary and bonus based on performance ie 50 grand and 5 grand a goal---if he scores 20 then decent paycheck
these guys comming to our team with guarantees and dont produce is messed up
pay them all well based on good performance on the field
best example is cann -- they better up the anti or he will be gone next year

Where will Cann go? Just curious. He seems to love Toronto and I can't see him making a move to Europe.

razor787
07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Making as little as he is, he may love it, but he will know he can make more money elsewhere. Unless he gets a pretty good raise, he very well could ask to be released, and sign on with Vancouver.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
There's an entry at MLSR saying Brandy and the other player, who's name slips my mind, might have links to Canada and potentially count as domestics.

razor787
07-06-2010, 12:23 PM
^lets hope thats true. They would both be great players to have as domestic players.

TFCtoMUFC
07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Jennison Myrie-Williams is the other player. He is a natural winger playing for Dundee United.

Cann will get a raise, I would be surprised if he asks to be released.

scooter
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Where will Cann go? Just curious. He seems to love Toronto and I can't see him making a move to Europe.

i hear you but i cannot believe he signed for a measly 60k

TFCtoMUFC
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
i hear you but i cannot believe he signed for a measly 60k

He'll get a raise and stay is my prediction. He is from Thornhill so he's a TO boy.

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Where's this Cann going talk coming from? Just speculation or did I miss something?

scooter
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
NO NO
just think he should be paid more money based on his contibutions to the team

ie: players should be paid based on performance on the pitch

TFCtoMUFC
07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Where's this Cann going talk coming from? Just speculation or did I miss something?

Just speculation from what I know....

NO NO
just think he should be paid more money based on his contibutions to the team

ie: players should be paid based on performance on the pitch

He should definitely be paid more. His contributions on the pitch can't really be judged as a stat, so I don't know how you would work that in his salary. I do agree with giving him a raise.

P-NUTZ
07-06-2010, 12:45 PM
i certainly like the idea of a small forward who can outrun most any defensive player - slice and dice the middle or tear down a flank.

a lot of winning in this league is based on hustle and work ethic - one of the reasons we've managed so far with the group we have.

Add the speedy lad - let him torch some lunkheads if he has half a heart!

Super Cereal
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Making as little as he is, he may love it, but he will know he can make more money elsewhere. Unless he gets a pretty good raise, he very well could ask to be released, and sign on with Vancouver.
Yes, Toronto FC is going to release their starting CB, who is a hometown guy who lvoes playing here, to let him sign with a rival rather than give him a raise. Makes sense to me.

Back on topic...

ag futbol
07-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, Toronto FC is going to release their starting CB, who is a hometown guy who lvoes playing here, to let him sign with a rival rather than give him a raise. Makes sense to me.

No kidding. If anything they only have Cann on a one year deal so that's going to give him some leverage at the end of the season.

And before we all go ape shit patting our CB's on the back, let's not forget we normally deploy two straight up ball winners in front of them. Not to say they haven't played well, but they're playing behind a system that should favor defensive strength.

razor787
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Back on topic...
that misse what i was saying...

I said that IF toronto refused to give him a raise, Cann would leave in a heartbeat. Yea, he loves the club, but with his performance, he can get much more then this. It would be stupid for tfc to refuse the raise, they would definately lose the back line strength.

rocker
07-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Cann couldn't just run off to Vancouver for more money. MLS doesn't work that way, since all contracts are owned by MLS. Before the last CBA, if you were out of contract the team still owned your rights... although there was supposed to be some new draft-like system, which would allow a player to be claimed by another team @ some percentage of his old salary. A player just can't be "released" and then picked up by the MLS team he wants to pick him up.

Cann is stuck making the money he's making now.

Also, his salary this season is not necessarily his salary next season. 4-year contracts often have rising yearly salaries. The defender Hurtado of Seattle was making 37K last year... and without any renegotiation, he's making $121K this year. For all we know, Cann could have a second year at $100K or more already in his contract.

Dirk Diggler
07-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I think/hope that this dude I know zilch about will be a good player for TFC but at the end of the day, it is not about whether he plays well, sets the league on fire or just shits the bed. Even if he plays well, it will come down to whether what he is contributing will be worth the "UK Premium", as bgnewf put it, that we will inevitably be paying for any player coming from England. This is why eventhough I am expecting mediocrity, I am also hoping that despite the size and strength issues mentioned, he delivers on the potential that made him so successful as a youngin in the manu system.

twistedchinaman
07-07-2010, 02:03 AM
He'll get a raise and stay is my prediction. He is from Thornhill so he's a TO boy.

Plus I doubt Vancouver or Montreal will be allowed to have him...not without one helluva mud fight where someone gets mud in their eyes!

brad
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Word is Brandy is currently on trial with Liverpool.

JonO
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
^ Clearly then he is not good enough for us...

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Word is Brandy is currently on trial with Liverpool.

Did you read that somewhere or more of a word of mouth kind of thing?

Did some digging, I think it's Leeds his trialing with, not Liverpool.

brad
07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Did you read that somewhere or more of a word of mouth kind of thing?

Did some digging, I think it's Leeds his trialing with, not Liverpool.

Was a word of mouth thing - but yes, it's Leeds not Liverpool.

TFC_Central
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
meh, same shiz.....different a**holes why does it matter who he is....... for the %^*%&^ time the team is filling up HALF way through the season. ITS A JOKE!

razor787
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
meh, same shiz.....different a**holes why does it matter who he is....... for the %^*%&^ time the team is filling up HALF way through the season. ITS A JOKE!

Mo doesnt sign anyone, people criticize him... Mo sees the positions that are lacking, and looks for people to sign, and he is again criticized.

I hate the shit he has done in the past, but is it really fair to criticize him, when he is actually doing his job for once?

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Was a word of mouth thing - but yes, it's Leeds not Liverpool.

Leeds makes a little more sense, despite the being a former ManU youth player, I think Liverpool would have been a big ask.

Just because he's trialing with Leeds doesn't mean he won't trial her next week. Though if both teams offer him contracts, I think TFC would have a tough time beating out Leeds United.

Some chatter about Brandy at a Leeds forum if anyone's interested:

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=323&fid=14&act=1&mid=2121013041

Oldtimer
07-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Not a chance, but if MLSE really wanted to open the vaults for a higher skilled player from United, Berbatov is available:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/transfer-zone/2010/07/05/2011239/report-manchester-united-to-offload-dimitar-berbatov-and

Berbatov-Mista or Barrett-OBW? Which would be more effective?

Hitcho
07-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Not a chance, but if MLSE really wanted to open the vaults for a higher skilled player from United, Berbatov is available:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/69/transfer-zone/2010/07/05/2011239/report-manchester-united-to-offload-dimitar-berbatov-and

Berbatov-Mista or Barrett-OBW? Which would be more effective?

No way in hell would Berbatov ever be able to motivate himself to play for TFC or within MLS generally. He looked disinterested in the PL half the time. I know it was a completely hypothetical statement, but I really think he'd make Robert look like a hard working success story!

Oldtimer
07-08-2010, 11:46 AM
No way in hell would Berbatov ever be able to motivate himself to play for TFC or within MLS generally. He looked disinterested in the PL half the time. I know it was a completely hypothetical statement, but I really think he'd make Robert look like a hard working success story!

:lol: probably true.

ag futbol
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Cann is stuck making the money he's making now.

Central defender, still under 30, having a great season. I think you'd be naive to assume he's coming back at the 55k he's getting now.

It's not going to be hard for him to find a club if TFC doesn't open their wallet a little.

ginkster88
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
lol@Berbatov to TFC

P-NUTZ
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
they'll pony up for cann - he's one of the main reasons we have any points!