PDA

View Full Version : We Need Vuvuzelas, Pumas, & Referees in MLS

[NBF]
07-04-2010, 02:13 PM
The World Cup Experience in South Africa is definitely a learning experience for any league. Everything from the new technology ball, to the horns that sound like a bunch of bees swarming the announcers is something unique about the event that makes it great, and that also includes the referee contraversy.

The MLS could learn from this to continue to evolve in the world. Small changes to the game could have huge impact in the way the league is portrayed.

Three Changes I would Like To See In MLS:

1st: Add the referee behind the net to clearify if the ball has crossed the backline for a corner or if the ball has gone in the net. Simple change, and it would only cost as much as adding 2 extra security guards in the stands.

2nd: Look into allowing MLS teams(or some) to select their own shirt makers. This would go a long way into providing different style shirts and more flair on the field. The 3 stripes logo is a thing of the past which needs to be used in moderation. I wanna see some more Puma, or Roots, or Umbro out there.

3rd: Lets get real with all of the rules in the stands, the majority of the fans would agree that letting the fans run a mock would lead to an overwhelming amount of banners and a massive pile of cardboards after the game. Also massive crime and assaults in locations where fans could be affiliated with gang activity, similar to the l.a. raiders of the 90's era.
What I wanna say is allow for more fan freedom and less tyrany. Theres nothing wrong with someone bringing a drum to the game, so whats wrong with playing a vuvuzela. I loved hearing the vuvuzelas, its more for people who dont consider singing nursery rhymes as the cool thing to do.

Super
07-04-2010, 02:33 PM
;1081599']I loved hearing the vuvuzelas, its more for people who dont consider singing nursery rhymes as the cool thing to do.

Umm, huh?

Yeoman
07-04-2010, 02:34 PM
1; yes agree
2; will never happen in north america. any other major sport doesn't do that
3; at least drums can provided a pace guide from people to go along with. a vuvuzela? i highly doubt seeing that being effective. outside of africa, they're unheard of. if i wanted to hear a high pitched buzzing sound in my ear, i'd of stayed in the middle east.

Rudi
07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
outside of africa, they're unheard of.
Plastic horns are worldwide. They're just called vuvuzelas in South Africa.

prizby
07-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Lets be the first to add a referee behind the goal.

UEFA Europa League & the French League did it last year

menefreghista
07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
If Puma is going to make jerseys as ugly as they ones they made for this World Cup, no thanks.

Rudi
07-04-2010, 02:46 PM
As for the original post:

1. FIFA and the IFAB create the rules for the game, not MLS. The league used to have ridiculous rules that flew in the face of the sport as played everywhere else, but one of Don Garber's first mandates as commissioner was to bring MLS more in line with the rest of the world. I don't see that changing without consent from FIFA (especially as the US is angling to host another World Cup).

2. MLS is in the middle of a 10-year, $150 million apparel deal with adidas. The three stripes stay until at least 2014. Prior to 2005, teams did indeed contract their own apparel deals with individual companies, and perhaps when the current adidas deal is up, they'll return to that approach. It's more likely, however, that they'll simply re-up with adidas or sign a league-wide exclusive contract with a competitior. That kind of money is no joking matter, and something the league would not like to leave on the table, IMO.

3. Stadium rules banning vuvuzelas (known as horns here, of course), have been in place since BMO Field opened, and with good reason. You're in the extreme minority of people who want them at our stadium.

nfitz
07-04-2010, 03:01 PM
;1081599']I loved hearing the vuvuzelas, its more for people who dont consider singing nursery rhymes as the cool thing to do.Are you the twat that complained about my 2-year old singing Mary Had a Little Lamb?

Yeoman
07-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Plastic horns are worldwide. They're just called vuvuzelas in South Africa.

i can always rephrase to they not in a majority for popularity then

Flipityflu
07-04-2010, 03:12 PM
the fake vuvuzelas are much more fun.

TFCRegina
07-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't believe people are suggesting those damn horns.

nfitz
07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I can't believe that people don't like nursery rhymes!

drewski
07-04-2010, 04:25 PM

1. FIFA and the IFAB create the rules for the game, not MLS. The league used to have ridiculous rules that flew in the face of the sport as played everywhere else, but one of Don Garber's first mandates as commissioner was to bring MLS more in line with the rest of the world. I don't see that changing without consent from FIFA (especially as the US is angling to host another World Cup).

but individual confed's and/or leagues can make mod's to the rules.

as somebody mentioned, Europa league had ref's behind the goal last year.

[NBF]
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
UEFA Europa League & the French League did it last year

I thought I typed in that the MLS would be the first league to adapt to 5 referee system. Good to know that Le Ligue is doing this, I never knew that, I knew about the Europa League.

[NBF]
07-04-2010, 05:21 PM

2. MLS is in the middle of a 10-year, $150 million apparel deal with adidas. The three stripes stay until at least 2014. Prior to 2005, teams did indeed contract their own apparel deals with individual companies, and perhaps when the current adidas deal is up, they'll return to that approach. It's more likely, however, that they'll simply re-up with adidas or sign a league-wide exclusive contract with a competitior. That kind of money is no joking matter, and something the league would not like to leave on the table, IMO.

3. Stadium rules banning vuvuzelas (known as horns here, of course), have been in place since BMO Field opened, and with good reason. You're in the extreme minority of people who want them at our stadium.

1. Ok, I assumed that the mls could make its own rule, but prizby mentioned that le ligue tried it out last season, so maybe all they did was ask to have a change done, and depending on the results of adding the extra referees maybe FIFA is open to allowing leagues to adopt the move. The way I've always seen it, it comes down to the cost being spent on extra bodies or technologies and FIFA cant make it a rule unless everyone can afford to pay for it.

2. Considering that the league is making $15 million per season, I dont see the league doing anything to jepardize the contract or future contracts. I think we will see the league play it up to get more money.

3. I think noise makers are more the norm in north america because the majority of people see the europeans as flashy and sort of sissy. So singing in groups only support that idea where as blowing a horn so loud to give players headaches is more acceptable to those who are new to the game.

Super
07-04-2010, 06:01 PM
;1081660']I think noise makers are more the norm in north america because the majority of people see the europeans as flashy and sort of sissy. So singing in groups only support that idea where as blowing a horn so loud to give players headaches is more acceptable to those who are new to the game.

I honestly don't care what the "majority" of people feel about the singing and chanting at football games. It's the culture of football games that makes our sport unique, and I am not going to burry that to please a bunch of fat NFL fans who paint letters on their chests and chow down 50 hot dogs at a game while sitting on their oversized asses.

You think the people of El Salvador should sit down and not enjoy the culture of our sport either (I noticed your avatar) - just because Americans don't like it? Nah man, I respect your opinion, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any support to your views on this particular supporters board.

TFCRegina
07-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I honestly don't care what the "majority" of people feel about the singing and chanting at football games. It's the culture of football games that makes our sport unique, and I am not going to burry that to please a bunch of fat NFL fans who paint letters on their chests and chow down 50 hot dogs at a game while sitting on their oversized asses.

You think the people of El Salvador should sit down and not enjoy the culture of our sport either (I noticed your avatar) - just because Americans don't like it? Nah man, I respect your opinion, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any support to your views on this particular supporters board.

Plus One

prizby
07-04-2010, 06:07 PM
;1081657']I thought I typed in that the MLS would be the first league to adapt to 5 referee system. Good to know that Le Ligue is doing this, I never knew that, I knew about the Europa League.

those were the two test dummys

Darlofletch
07-04-2010, 06:23 PM
;1081599']
3rd: Lets get real with all of the rules in the stands, the majority of the fans would agree that letting the fans run a mock would lead to an overwhelming amount of banners and a massive pile of cardboards after the game. Also massive crime and assaults in locations where fans could be affiliated with gang activity, similar to the l.a. raiders of the 90's era.
What I wanna say is allow for more fan freedom and less tyrany. Theres nothing wrong with someone bringing a drum to the game, so whats wrong with playing a vuvuzela. I loved hearing the vuvuzelas, its more for people who dont consider singing nursery rhymes as the cool thing to do.

1, I'd have no problems with extra refs, but what happens when these extra refs get the call wrong as they inevitably will at some point.

2, sure, let's go with greater variety, but I can't see the league turning down the big money deal. A few clubs could probably get more money by having their own deal, but really, who's going to pay dallas anything to be their jersey maker. For better or worse, the league's not ready for such an individual sink or swim approach, so won't take it.

3, no to vuvuzelas first of all. as for the rest of it, you make what seems to be an anti-freedom argument, suggesting it'd become some kind of lawless hellhole, then say you want more fan freedom, so which is it? i'm generally fine with the rules as they are right now, especially if they get enforced correctly and not overzealously.

Oldtimer
07-04-2010, 06:36 PM
re: vuvuzelas: The current rules are fine. It's security guards making up their own rules that's a problem.

Blizzard
07-04-2010, 06:41 PM
;1081599']

Ya, I've got a Vuvuzela for you. Blow on this! ;)

http://www.juicefeasting.com/Portals/0/Introductory%20Graphics/enema%20kit.jpg

SilverSamurai
07-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Plus One
Plus 2.

I'm for a unique "flavour" in Canada, but by no means do I want to let the US dictate what is "cool".
If that was the case, we'd be sitting, with BMO full of families and a "2 for tots" promo or some crap like that.

CoachGT
07-04-2010, 07:05 PM
1. Forget about extra refs. Spend the money on training the ones we've already got. Bring in retired or off-season Euro refs to act as mentors for the refs that do our games. A "goal judge" won't improve things on the field.

2. Long term contract in place, as noted above. And most teams can't afford to do anything beyond what is already in place. And I can tell you, being a Spurs fan, finding Puma anything is very difficult for Spurs - just about every sporting goods store I've run across carries loads of Nike (and Umbro) and Adidas but scant few things from other makers.

3. We've already had own own "thing" - the cascades of streamers in the corners. If there were not an issue with idiots throwing other junk, we might still be doing this. Light paper won't hurt anyone, and it was the thing that defined Toronto in the first year. Maybe it already passe, but I'd prefer going back to this rather than cheap plastic horns that annoy just about everyone, not to mention that they eliminate the efforts of those who want to sing and chant for their teams. Drums enhance the singing rather than detract from it.

Detroit_TFC
07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I wish I had more choices in this poll. I like cheese.

sampace
07-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I actually love the idea of using a train whistle made of wood, and we all make noise at the same time.

rocker
07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
speaking of refs, how come they never come from the playing ranks? I bet you could take some of these 40K players, or guys from the USL, pay them more than 40K a year and train them into decent refs. They would have played the game, so they'd know what a good and bad challenge is, they'd be fit, young etc.

dag
07-04-2010, 08:05 PM
It's a shame that MLS exclusive contract; Adidas makes almost uniformly ugly kits.

Brooker
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
It's a shame that MLS exclusive contract; Adidas makes almost uniformly ugly kits.

Adidas is the new sponsor for Stoke City and the kit is TERRIBLE. The fans fucking hate it.

Fuck Adidas.

SilverSamurai
07-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I actually love the idea of using a train whistle made of wood, and we all make noise at the same time.
Haha.
That would be funny.
Maybe that and the cow bell against Peru during corners. lol

MLS rules don't apply for CMNT matches so streamers aren't exacly banned...

keem-o-sabi
07-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey when the Adidas deal was signed that was major. As much as you may hate Garber (that's a general 'you') at the time it was amazing. It established the reserve league with that extra $$ each year then they unfortunately abondoned it (but look like they are bringing it back, yay:))

It definitely helped get the original saviors of the league some more money back in the pocket after the three of them bankrolled the entire thing for a couple years. I know things aren't awesome, but honestly with Uncle Phil, Kraft, and Hunt, we wouldn't have a league anymore. We'd have the mess that is USL as our D1 option....

So going with Adidas was a big coup to be honest. It showed that companies wanted to start investing in our league. It was step in the right direction. Now they can go for a little more next time around as there is much more exposure than previously. Adidas wanted it as Nike has the US National Set-up and they are fighting for the lucrative US soccer market. Yes it is lucrative in the US, and they have a vested interest in making the game more popular as it increases their sales and exposure.

Yagbod
07-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Letting Vuvuzela's into MLS stadiums is a lazy approach to creating noise. Why not save the lazy supporters the trouble of blowing on a horn by just piping in the 'buzzzzzz' via the PA system? That way we can just sit there. Why bother singing at all!?! Very exciting....

Juanito
07-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey when the Adidas deal was signed that was major. As much as you may hate Garber (that's a general 'you') at the time it was amazing. It established the reserve league with that extra $$ each year then they unfortunately abondoned it (but look like they are bringing it back, yay:))

It definitely helped get the original saviors of the league some more money back in the pocket after the three of them bankrolled the entire thing for a couple years. I know things aren't awesome, but honestly with Uncle Phil, Kraft, and Hunt, we wouldn't have a league anymore. We'd have the mess that is USL as our D1 option....

So going with Adidas was a big coup to be honest. It showed that companies wanted to start investing in our league. It was step in the right direction. Now they can go for a little more next time around as there is much more exposure than previously. Adidas wanted it as Nike has the US National Set-up and they are fighting for the lucrative US soccer market. Yes it is lucrative in the US, and they have a vested interest in making the game more popular as it increases their sales and exposure.

Chris, it is undeniable that MLS in 2010 is much more popular than in 2005. The arrival of Goldenballs to the Galaxy, TFC, Seattle, Philly, and probably Portland, Vancouver, and Montréal will be ginormous successes that will "raise the profile' of the league. If this trend keeps up, the MLS will be in a better position come 2015 to sign a lucrative deal ... maybe even doubling it.

BC101
07-04-2010, 11:49 PM
^^ reading an El Juan post.

AL-MO
07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
3, no to vuvuzelas first of all. as for the rest of it, you make what seems to be an anti-freedom argument, suggesting it'd become some kind of lawless hellhole, then say you want more fan freedom, so which is it? i'm generally fine with the rules as they are right now, especially if they get enforced correctly and not overzealously.

LOL so I wasn't the only one who thought this??

:D

Oldtimer
07-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Chris, it is undeniable that MLS in 2010 is much more popular than in 2005. The arrival of Goldenballs to the Galaxy, TFC, Seattle, Philly, and probably Portland, Vancouver, and Montréal will be ginormous successes that will "raise the profile' of the league. If this trend keeps up, the MLS will be in a better position come 2015 to sign a lucrative deal ... maybe even doubling it.

Or more. There seems to be a real sense of excitement around the league, which was certainly not the case in the early days when MLS was started as a low-key budget enterprise. Better fans, better attendance, well-supported new clubs, the start of a real supporter's culture in many of the older cities -- leading to better sponsorships ($4 million/year for "BMO" on a TFC jersey) -- things are certainly looking up.

bertal
07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
i must say, the vuvuzelas are better than some of the chants at bmo

AL-MO
07-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm glad "I hate Vuvuzelas" is leading in votes.

rocker
07-05-2010, 10:09 AM
i must say, the vuvuzelas are better than some of the chants at bmo

sorry, even the shittiest, worst chants are better than vuvuzelas.

Fort York Redcoat
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I disagree with everything about this thread from opinion to poll.

You want a horn, cup your hands. Same damn thing but less money. Only problem is people may think you're being ironic like most of us that would do it.

Better referees, not more.

Fan freedom? You feel opressed? Do what you want and stop worrying about reprecussions from fellow supporters. If people don't agree with you here they won't agree in the stands but not everyone in the stands are in here.

CoachGT
07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
speaking of refs, how come they never come from the playing ranks? I bet you could take some of these 40K players, or guys from the USL, pay them more than 40K a year and train them into decent refs. They would have played the game, so they'd know what a good and bad challenge is, they'd be fit, young etc.

Just like other sports, there is a progression through the ranks to get to the refereeing level. And professional referees can only work until age 45 under FIFA mandates. So there isn't enough time for a former player to work his way through the system.

james
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
1) Yes make MLS be the first league to use a micro chip that reads when the ball has crossed the line (a ref behind the net still make bad calls if the ball has crossed the line or not, ive seen goal judges still mess up in hockey).

2) I know Addidas was a great deal back in the day for MLS, any big name sponsors was a great deal back then but in the near future as MLS grows Please get some other brand jerseys in there, some addidas jerseys is ok, but when every team has the same style 3 stripes it gets borring.

3) Vuvu horns are crap, they are more for people who dont have the skills to sing or play an instrument to an actual toon or beat.

4) im always up for more freedom, more freedom the crazyer the fans and atmoshpere. We had much less security in year 1 and it was great!

ricciboy
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
If Puma is going to make jerseys as ugly as they ones they made for this World Cup, no thanks.

the italy ones were really nice

menefreghista
07-05-2010, 04:22 PM
the italy ones were really nice

Really? The blue ones where nasty with that stupid imprint design.

Brooker
07-05-2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gif
http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gifhttp://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gifhttp://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gifhttp://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gif

Oldtimer
07-06-2010, 07:29 AM
http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gif
http://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gifhttp://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gifhttp://www.northstandchat.com/images/smilies/vuvu.gif

Arrrggghhhh!!!!! Vuvuzela smilies!!!!! :ack2:

jaahuuu
07-06-2010, 12:41 PM
1) Yes make MLS be the first league to use a micro chip that reads when the ball has crossed the line
I'd love to see this. Not only would it be definitive, but it would be known instantly, to there would be no extra delay to the game.

Gobi
07-06-2010, 01:24 PM
sorry, even the shittiest, worst chants are better than vuvuzelas.

+1
Die, vuvuzela, die!

Wagner
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
vuvuzelas would be a little more tolerable, if they took the time to play different notes.
it's not impossible.

as for Puma jerseys...

Holland (in the final) Nike
Germany and Spain are both Adidas...
so the finals won't involve Puma.

james
07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
vuvuz wouldnt be that bad if they just didnt blow for 90 mins non stop!

Oldtimer
07-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Now this is what is needed for vuvuzelas:

-KHFA6ZuFTE

forzatoronto
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
2; will never happen in north america. any other major sport doesn't do that

The NHL did it until they sold out to corporate interests in the early part of this decade. In the eighties and nineties teams were free to choose their own sweater manufacturers, Nike, Starter, Pro Player, CCM, Bauer, Koho, etc. And, believe it or not, at one time (before the Centre Ice program) NHL players were actually free to choose the equipment of their choice.

Yeoman
07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
really? well i guess that was before my time, statement retracted on the nhl portion

Yeoman
07-09-2010, 02:10 PM
and well, huh, i need to look into this
players can still wear what they want, just need contracts with the company don't they?

Petor
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I voted that I hate those vuvuzellas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6N4iIn-fw&feature=player_embedded

Yeoman
07-12-2010, 03:23 AM
word up, hate real vuvuzelas/horns/bullhorns/whatever name you want to call them.
cept maybe that vuvuzela helmet i've seen. though that would be more of the underground to annoy people with.

forzatoronto
08-24-2010, 07:48 PM
and well, huh, i need to look into this
players can still wear what they want, just need contracts with the company don't they?

Sorry to drag this back up, but no, they can't. Only companies who pay money to the NHL to be part of their Centre Ice program are allowed to have their logos displayed on NHL rinks. If players want to wear brands like, for instance, Canadien, to name one off the top of my head, they have to tape over the brand name.

Parkdale
08-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't know why people are so fast to say Adidas kits are ugly.
Every manufacturer makes some ugly kits, and everyone makes some beauties too.

Like Imagine is this kit had RED accents instead of light blue. That would be the best TFC kit ever!!!
http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/item/156/438/791/v9SJZcG5y3Rnizk.jpg