PDA

View Full Version : Boris on 'Its Called football' Tonight

Boris
06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.24thminute.com/

Tonight, we're joined by the president of the Red Patch Boys to discuss the recent security problems at BMO Field and what's being done by the supporters and the front office.

We'll also get into the keys to the Houston game for Toronto, how it's time for corporate Canada to stand up and start supporting Canadian soccer and the importance of regional rivalry as Seattle and Portland get set to face off tonight.

Join us live starting at 9pm EST.

London
07-01-2010, 06:35 AM
can anyone recap this i cant watch vid at work

4evared
07-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Well done Pres.

Well said and very truthful. Lets hope that this problem will get fixed.

Glad that you have our backs even if I am `err.... middle-aged` Ha Ha :)

Pookie
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Boris, I thought you represented the issue and the group very well. Calling out the FO for "lip service" is an appropriate next step.

One caution that I would bring forward is to be careful about the notion of "self policing." The term implies that we can do it without security. While this may be effective in 112, it isn't a solution for the rest of the stadium and quite honestly, from a liability perspective, I can't see this being a "win" that the FO would endorse.

Self policing might have resulted in the identification of the bottle thrower (or the flare throwers from 111 last year) but security were needed to apprehend them. Self policing would not have worked when a guy in 111 last year wanted to throw his fist through the face of the guy standing next to him. Without security, and add in a couple of friends jumping into the fray and you have a mini-brawl that no one wants. The FO would never go for that and to bring it forward, IMO, is a non-starter.

My suggestion would be to look for the middle ground that represents RPBs (and other SGs if they choose) throughout the stadium, not just 112. We are scattered all throughout and complaints have come from 104 just as much as they've come from 112.

If I were to offer a solution, this is what we should be seeking from the FO:

- consistent and established game day rules

- expanded Supporter's Sections. This isn't a nice to have, it's a must. Many issues result from people being "too loud" or standing at inappropriate times. The FO can either fight it, or use it to bolster their "game day experience" and eliminate many of these issues before they start

Make 110 a full fledged section as an example. Consider making the last 5-10 rows of sections 109,108,107, etc Supporter's Sections as well if the demand is there.

- a true relocation event that allows people to move into the section that is more suitable for their interests (standing or sitting)

- a commitment that those sections will be staffed with consistent, knowledgeable, accountable security guards

- an ongoing agreement to meet with SG representatives on a regular basis

In return, SGs could offer:

- to continually enforce a culture that condemns things like the throwing of objects unto the field of play. SGs would be active in identifying the throwers and be supportive of security when they move in to do their jobs. It is "self policing" just without the label and it is done in a very public and cooperative way with security.

- SGs could meet regularly with FO and Security to be proactive in dealing with potential challenges. Identification of "scalper seats" or a thrower of objects that wasn't caught at the time

- to recognize that expanded supporter's sections do not mean a decrease in price. If Row 30 of Sec 109 becomes a standing section, you are still paying section 109 prices. You simply get to enjoy the game from your current sight lines in a way that is reflective of your interests

In any situation, you've got to find the items that enable both sides to be successful. They know that the SGs fuel their revenue. Use it. Expand on it. We know that they aren't going to turn the keys over to us. Work with it.

flatpicker
07-01-2010, 10:10 AM
- a true relocation event that allows people to move into the section that is more suitable for their interests (standing or sitting)

This is one of the biggest issues in my mind.
If everyone was exactly where they want to be, and feel most comfortable, then fans would be happier all around.

Every time TFC has held it's relocation event, I have complained that it is not effective enough.
Too much of it depends on timing, when your appointment is will determine availability.

They need to set up a basic online form that allows fans to fill in where they are and where they want to be.
Then the program would match up requests around the stadium based on seniority (when ST's were originally purchased).
I think this would go a lot further in ensuring that more fans get what they are looking for.

Technorgasm
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Its called BORIS. . . .