PDA

View Full Version : COPA CAVA-TFC Scouting opportunity

gtaguy
06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
sorry if this was already posted .

There is a tournament happening in the US where they are inviting a crap load of South American and Central American teams to play for a 3 million dollar grand prize, and 1 million for second place.

This would be an excellent opportunity for tfc scouts to go and check out players in this tournament for possible signings..

Wonder if TFC is already aware of this and if they plan on sending someone down .

http://www.abibasket.com/cava_cup_english.html

BeerBaron95
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I've always wondered why they dont scout C.A and S.A players even more... You can get a boatload of talent down there for a very fair value IMO and the quality of soccer would skyrocket.

There are guys down there that have magic in their feet and would kill to play on a bigger level for the mere price of a new pair of boots.. seriously.

You pay some of these guys JDG figures and you would get a far superior player and you will have a better team for it.

Hell you can pay 2 or 3 guys what JDG makes combined and would make the team stronger

TFC07
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I've always wondered why they dont scout C.A and S.A players even more... You can get a boatload of talent down there for a very fair value IMO and the quality of soccer would skyrocket.

There are guys down there that have magic in their feet and would kill to play on a bigger level for the mere price of a new pair of boots.. seriously.

You pay some of these guys JDG figures and you would get a far superior player and you will have a better team for it.

Hell you can pay 2 or 3 guys what JDG makes combined and would make the team stronger

It's because our management is awful. But at least they got scouts in Africa.

rocker
06-30-2010, 04:32 PM
recently, the KC Wiz owner said the prob with south america is all the corrupt agents and contracts down there.

gtaguy
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
recently, the KC Wiz owner said the prob with south america is all the corrupt agents and contracts down there.

I think that is generalizing . Not all agents and contracts are corrupt eighterwise how is it that there are already so many CA and SA players already in our league..

gtaguy
06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
One thing that has me clueless is how on earth C.D. Motagua is playing this tournament when they have a game with TFC on the 27 of july.. Saying they make it to the finals .

The tournament goes from july 15 to july 26. 1 day to fly in and play toronto the very next day . ???

rocker
06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I think that is generalizing . Not all agents and contracts are corrupt eighterwise how is it that there are already so many CA and SA players already in our league..

I wrote "all the corrupt agents" (as in, the many of them) not "all agents are corrupt". So no generalizing.

Anyways, I was referencing what the KC owner said about the great difficulties with contracts and signing players from down there. I've also heard the same from other teams. In other words, it's very difficult to sign someone legitimately out of South America. In KC's experience, they've also had problems with greedy agents down there who agree on salaries and then turn around when it's contract signing time and demand significantly more. The KC owner even said they have a list of 100 players they are eyeing right now around the world. This was on the KC game broadcast right before the World Cup break.

Also, people need to realize that CA and SA are not gold mines of talented players who are sure things for success. Just today I believe MLS teams released 2 or 3 Salvadoran players. Argentine players have been hit and miss in MLS (particularly in DC United's experience lately).

gtaguy
06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I wrote "all the corrupt agents" (as in, the many of them) not "all agents are corrupt". So no generalizing.

Anyways, I was referencing what the KC owner said about the great difficulties with contracts and signing players from down there. I've also heard the same from other teams. In other words, it's very difficult to sign someone legitimately out of South America. In KC's experience, they've also had problems with greedy agents down there who agree on salaries and then turn around when it's contract signing time and demand significantly more. The KC owner even said they have a list of 100 players they are eyeing right now around the world. This was on the KC game broadcast right before the World Cup break.

Also, people need to realize that CA and SA are not gold mines of talented players who are sure things for success. Just today I believe MLS teams released 2 or 3 Salvadoran players. Argentine players have been hit and miss in MLS (particularly in DC United's experience lately).

sorry rocker wasn't trying to attack you . I do agree that in CA and SA there are crooked agents and will always try to get more. Still this should not stop teams from looking and trying..

as a note about players i do believe the colombians that have entered the league have been good players and have proven it with results..

montero, angel, ferreira, olave, toja, conde, hurtado, and soon to play montano, I guess it always a hit and a miss when you sign players.

J .
06-30-2010, 10:08 PM
There are good players in all places, South and Central America is not like this secret place of football. Teams from all over have scouts there. The fact that they got a friendly for the Academy senior team versus a club from Chile.... doesn't that indicate to you they are looking?

prizby
06-30-2010, 10:33 PM

pablo vitti???

the problem is the MLS game is a bit more phsyical for the central americans and south americans that fall over when they hit a twig (and as already mentioned...the agents)

DavydMT
06-30-2010, 11:16 PM
in my opinion scouting South American and Central American is overrated. Most of the time MLS teams are only picking up 3rd rated player from this region, after you actually find a 3rd rated player you like you need to make sure he is interested in coming here and can fit culturally and contributes to your team and after all that you need to get a reasonable contract. Take all this and you are better just getting a kid from Thornhill.

BeerBaron95
07-01-2010, 02:32 AM
pablo vitti???

the problem is the MLS game is a bit more phsyical for the central americans and south americans that fall over when they hit a twig (and as already mentioned...the agents)

Priz i dont wanna hear that lame excuse cause its nothing more than that. Give them tie to adapt to the style of play and then talk to me.. As for Vitti, i still think with a bit of time and more than the 1 season he had he would have picked up the MLS style and flourished.. or a complete bust.

ag futbol
07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Pablo Vitti is one thing, corrupt agents are another thing...

Yeah South America is a market you have to be Savy in to get the most out of it, no shit. But I've got news, MLS and there passive style of letting the agencies give you the wares in the window doesn't make any sense either.

You have to go out and scout to get what you want. Otherwise your just going to get the best "presented" product, rather than the best product for the money.

gtaguy
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I see the trend that MLS is doing and thats trying to find guys that are free agents. MLS does not like paying transfer fees. Right there the quality of players you find are at best second or third rate.. Unless these players are high profile players they won't pay for players transfers. I can't think of one player TFC has payed a transfer fee if my mind serves me correctly, I could be wrong though