PDA

View Full Version : Empire Field

xj Darrell
06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Here is a good look at where the whitecaps will start their 2011 MLS season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvP9YFtgFQ&feature=player_embedded

SilverSamurai
06-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Will their be throwball lines though?

Toronto Ruffrider
06-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Not bad for a shoe-string budget. Too bad the Whitecaps have a lease at BC Place Stadium, though. Once the Lions leave Empire Field, the Whitecaps could've moved the ends of the stadium in and converted the playing surface to natural grass. A SSS could've been had for very cheap.

boban
06-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow. Looks very impressive. Amazing that was built in mere months.

Oldtimer
06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
aarrrrggghhhh! Pointyball lines!!!!!!!!!!:puke:

ilikemusic
06-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Aside from the handegg lines it looks great.

As hollow a sentiment as it may be, I would go to Argo games if they played a stadium like that.

flatpicker
06-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Man, I've been out of touch lately... I didn't even realize they were building that.

magicfro
06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
At first glance you would think that it would be a no-brainer to turn Empire into a SSS, but from my discussions with the BC Lions I believe there are a few reasons why the Whitcaps chose not stay. The stadium isn't in the downtown core. Parking is limited in the area and spectators would need to bus there. This usually isn't a problem in Van, but it's not easily accessable. The restaurants and bars spectators are used to around BC place really don't exist in the area. Finally, it doesn't hold the same cache as playing downtown in a retractable roof stadium.

twistedchinaman
06-27-2010, 10:37 PM
At first glance you would think that it would be a no-brainer to turn Empire into a SSS, but from my discussions with the BC Lions I believe there are a few reasons why the Whitcaps chose not stay. The stadium isn't in the downtown core. Parking is limited in the area and spectators would need to bus there. This usually isn't a problem in Van, but it's not easily accessable. The restaurants and bars spectators are used to around BC place really don't exist in the area. Finally, it doesn't hold the same cache as playing downtown in a retractable roof stadium.

Nailed it.

Look at a map, and you can see...Empire Fields is hella far away from downtown, nowhere near the Skytrain.

rocker
06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Not bad for a shoe-string budget. Too bad the Whitecaps have a lease at BC Place Stadium, though. Once the Lions leave Empire Field, the Whitecaps could've moved the ends of the stadium in and converted the playing surface to natural grass. A SSS could've been had for very cheap.

they can't use that stadium beyond the short period... it's all scaffolding underneath... meant to be temporary. i believe the washrooms and stuff are just in portable type buildings around the site.
http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/bc/images/gallery/2010/04/Empire%20April%2012%2030259.jpg