PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday, June,21

denime
06-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Mornin'

Ornoch and Poter on trial with Toronto FC (http://www.tribalfootball.com/ornoch-and-parker-trial-toronto-fc-921581)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

sidvan
06-21-2010, 06:10 AM
mornin'

West220Side
06-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Broken link, or just me?

Menelaos
06-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Worked for me.
Don't know a thing from either player so don't know what to expect/hope for.

Oldtimer
06-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Broken link, or just me?

link didn't work earlier, (site down), works now.

Oldtimer
06-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Long Range Goals - The Success Story of Major League Soccer by USA Today writer Beau Dure offers a format that traces the league's evolution from day one to it's current incarnation. The book reads like a chronological history book that covers FIFA's mandate for a first division soccer league as a condition of the 1994 World Cup award, the single entity structure, the players lawsuit against the league, and all the major events including the advent of the Beckham Rule.
The book includes insights, recollections, and quotes from most of the major players involved in the history and development of the league......Alan Rothenberg, Doug Logan, Sunil Gulati, Don Garber, Ivan Gazidis, Alexi Lalas, and many more are interviewed and provide running commentary throughout each chapter.
The book also describes some of the inner workings and back table dealings that went into shaping the decisions and issues that MLS faced and in some cases continues to face. Salary cap, relocation, television deals, expansion and contraction, MLS' relationship with SUM, and negotiations with the players are all covered along with a year by year recounting of the highlights of each season since 1996.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-fire-confidential/2010/06/book-reviews-long-range-goals---the-success-story-of-major-league-soccer.html

ManUtd4ever
06-21-2010, 07:58 AM
LOL, apparently Poter, Parker, and Porter are all on trial for TFC according to the Tribal Football article. Andrew Ornoch and Kyle Porter have already been linked to TFC. It's crucial that TFC stock up on the best available young Canadian talent prior to the inclusion of Vancouver and Montreal in MLS...

Kaz
06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm fairly sure MLS finally dropped the hammer on TFC for not having enough Canadians on the rosters. I'm pretty sure we are supposed to have at least 7-8 and right now there are only 6. Gerba, Serioux, and Brennan all leaving the club this year means too few Canadians. Which would be why we have more Canadian midfielders coming in for trial, and must be why Sam was traded the way he was.

scooter
06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
mornin d

Oldtimer
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Toronto FC and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced Tuesday that its June 26th match against the Los Angeles Galaxy at BMO Field will be played as scheduled and not moved due to the upcoming G20 Summit - scheduled for June 26 & 27, 2010. Kickoff for the match will be 730pm.

Toronto FC and MLSE have been working closely with local organizers and security forces to ensure that delays and disruptions are minimized on June 26, however, with limited parking on the CNE grounds, the Direct Energy Centre’s designation as the G20 Summit Media Centre, and a number of expected road closures and delays, supporters are encouraged to utilize public transit on game day.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/june-26-match-against-galaxy-remains

rocker
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm fairly sure

you have inside information or you're guessing?

James17930
06-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm wondering if any 'dignitaries' are gonna show up at BMO on the 26th.

Wooster_TFC
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
you have inside information or you're guessing?

I'm betting it's just a guess. Otherwise, why would the league have given TFC a bunch of new US-only spots at the start of this season?

My educated guess is that with Vancouver joining the league shortly, TFC wants to scoop up any available Canadian talent so that they don't have to fight for it.

rocker
06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm betting it's just a guess. Otherwise, why would the league have given TFC a bunch of new US-only spots at the start of this season?

My educated guess is that with Vancouver joining the league shortly, TFC wants to scoop up any available Canadian talent so that they don't have to fight for it.

you're the roster expert.... once you deduct the US and INT spots, how many domestics would TFC need to fill out a roster?

From what I remember, there's no set # on how many domestics any team must employ. They set the non-domestic #'s and naturally the difference between that and the total roster # needs to be filled with domestics. But given that MLS allows a team to have 18 on the senior roster if they want, then the # of domestics needed to fill out a roster must be low.

Wooster_TFC
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Technically 8 US only, and 8 INT spots. We traded for 3 more INT spots. So, that technically put us at 19 spots able to be filled with non-domestics. We would require all of 5 domestics to fill the spots (I'm throwing out the 2 homegrown spots since they don't really count). Now, 4 of those 24 spots are required to be paid league minimum, or be GA, so they can kind of be thrown out too. So, for senior roster, we'd need all of 1 domestic player.

We currently have 6, and we'll be losing one of our trades for INT spot this year, and with the lack of INT spot movement since they got rid of the YI/SI designation it would suggest that we aren't going to be able to pick any more up.

With that in mind, I can see all of TFC, Vancouver and Montreal having the same requirements: 8 US only, 8 INT, and 10 Canadians. These numbers include the 2 home grown and 4 GA/min salary spots. We also won't hit the 10 domestic "requirement" until 2012/2013.

We currently have 6 domestics, all of which count towards the senior roster spots. None of them are going anywhere, except for maybe Attakora if he continues his rise of form, and maybe JDG if he decides to take another crack at Europe. That said, with the lowering US/INT spots over the next 2-3 years, it makes sense to scoop up domestic players if they'll fit in the team and provide something we need. That said, there's absolutely no pressure on TFC to get domestic players from what I can tell.