PDA

View Full Version : The Miracle in Montreal - One Year Anniversary

James Oliphant
06-18-2010, 04:18 AM
June 18, 2009. The Miracle in Montreal.

Immediately following Toronto FC's stunning 5-goal victory to clinch the club's first piece of silverware, I started cutting a video to commemorate the event.

Sadly, before I could finish it, I lost a hard drive with the entire project, including the source files, and was left with nothing but a few early renders of the video. I shelved the project for ages, but came back to it last week and decided I needed to give it some closure.

The result is an extremely rough and unfinished video with obvious technical issues, but it's about all I could do with the time and footage I have left. And I still think it captures some of the passion, excitement and pure insanity that was...

The Miracle in Montreal (http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=167).

Enjoy, and please share your memories of this historic win here as well. Pictures, videos, or just your own recollection. Whatever you've got. :)

MG42
06-18-2010, 05:13 AM
That was great, I love seeing the supporters pouring down the stands to get closer to the field LOL. I wasn't in Montreal that night but I hope some people will post how amazing it was.

tfcleeds
06-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Happy Anniversary!!!!

Whoop
06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Good job James.

lips
06-18-2010, 06:41 AM
That was great
Happy Anniversary

James Oliphant
06-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks folks...and don't forget to share your experiences here too!

I was sat on my couch with my buddy (another James) watching on Sportsnet. When that penalty went in, I turned to him and said (half-jokingly), "Well, what else is on?"

Like I said...half-jokingly. I continued something along the lines of, "If they don't score two by halftime, we'll put on a movie."

We didn't put on a movie. We sat there with our beers and chips and just got more and more excited with every goal that went in. By the time the fourth goal went in, we were starting to think "shit, this just might be do-able." When the fifth went in, we both turned to each other and said "just gotta hold on now." That was after a ton of screaming/cheering/jumping up and down, of course.

And then the sixth goal went in....

Whoop
06-18-2010, 07:17 AM
I think the surreal nature of the day added to it.

The weather was shitty that day. And when Montreal scored on that penalty it was like "fuck we drove all this way for this?"

But then Toronto scored one, and then another, and then another... you could just feel in the crowd that something was going to happen.

And then it happened.

Everything fell into place that day in Montreal. And it was fun to witness live.

Not even the speeding ticket on the way home could dampen it.

ManUtd4ever
06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
I was watching the game at WEGZ sports bar with my wife. I don't think she truly understood the magnitude of my support for TFC prior to that night. When Barrett scored the header, I literally jumped out of my chair and started screaming while my wife did a facepalm and the staff looked on in disbelief. I was buzzing the next day and decided to leave work early to go to the rally with a buddy of mine to celebrate with the players. I got my jersey autographed by Dichio and DeRo, hoisted the trophy, and had pictures taken with the players and coaching staff.

It was definitely the pinnacle of excitement and fanfare as a TFC supporter...

uncle p
06-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Was an amazing night!!! I dont even think i celebrated when Chad buried the winner. I think i might have just stood there and looked around in amazement at what we just saw......pouring down the rafters to get to feild level was amazing, it looked like a landslide

Great video, awesome choice of music James

Toronto Gunner
06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I watched the first half of the game at Jack Astors on Front st. It was hard to watch because I was on pins and needles. We live 10 minutes from the bar, so we went home at half-time, but ran into somebody my wife knew on the street so we didn't get back home until after half. We watched the rest of the game jumping and cheering and couldn't believe it. I ducked out of work early the next day, walked down to the airport and greeted the players. I finally got my Serioux jersey signed by the man and it was an amazing experience to get to hold the cup and have my picture taken with it.

Man those were good times, has it been a year already?

pekduck
06-18-2010, 08:48 AM
best game i've been to in my life, period

just like vic said.. .after conceding PK, it was a nauseating feeling but all the supporters only chanted louder and not missing a beat

then dero's 1st, soon after, dero's 2nd, crowd is getting more energetic as the weather is getting worse

dero's hat trick, we all know something is happening...

guevara's freekick is in, the stands went wild

the wait...

then more wait and missing chances

then the unlikely hero barrett nodded in the 5th and we all erupted in joy

it was raining but none felt it

6th goal, the party started

billyfly
06-18-2010, 08:48 AM
The BEST sporting night of my life. Bfin, Ageroo, Whoopee, BC, LLJJ it was a great night.

I forgot to add Sal!

Whoop
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Just remembered another memory of that night.

billyfly crying in the stands...

Redcoe15
06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
:thumbsup: Nice. Good job you did putting that together.

Of course, I may be biased, but I prefered this:

cu1kQAucPOM

:D

uncle p
06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Funny story from my travels home from Montreal...I flew home porter the next morning and as im waiting for my flight some dude in TFC gear is sitting next to me, i recognize him but cant remember if i met him during a road trip, Shoeless Joes or in the stands at BMO. So as we sit there with an awkward silence i look down the hall and see Chad Barrett and Sam Cronin walking towards us (TFC were on the flight just before mine). So i turn to the guy beside me all excited and say "dude, check it out, Barrett and Cronin are coming", my friend looks up, shrugs his shoulders and goes back to work on his laptop. It was at that moment i realize i dont know this guy as a supporter, it was fuckin Brian Edwards LMFAO!!!!! I felt like such a douch!!!

billyfly
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/billyfly21/HappyasDrunk.jpg?t=1276871005

Yohan
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure we destroyed that one subway car with all the bouncing and jumping.

And the beer towers.

The rain.

The hotties at Stade Saputo serving beer

Oh, and winning the game 6-1.

Was a good day

adamdz
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks, that almost brought a tear to my eye. What a memorable trip that was.

BFin
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Goosebumps still.

leroy
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
what an amazing match. that entire weekend was top notch. i have a copy of the game and i've probabaly watched it 20 times since

some memories:
- after our 5th goal, realizing that we were actually going to pull it off. you could feel it in the air
- dichio jumping into the stands after he ran over to us
- dero's unbelievable determination. he just would not accept defeat, you could see it in his face
- everyone signing on the picnic tables after the match, just outside of our section

leroy
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
oh yeah, and the Vancouver players having to stand there and watch the cup slip out of their hands...

Ageroo
06-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Goosebumps still.

Before or after someone stole my poncho.....;)

Ageroo
06-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Amazing match...amazing atmosphere....all around amazing time!

BFin
06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Before or after someone stole my poncho.....;)

Don't worry, I got her with a sock full of quarters in the parking lot after. Sometime between the subway singing and almost derailing...and the pub.

FootieChick
06-18-2010, 12:46 PM
still can't believe I missed that game :( Awesome video!!!

Super
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow, it's been one year already? That was the sweetest game yet in TFC history - by a mile. I remember not wanting to go because I figured there was no way in hell we could score that many goals on the road - but thankfully I did go, and what a wonderful trip and game indeed.

Whoop
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
I felt the same way. But I had already planned on going and Montreal is a great city to visit. So I said, whatever happens, happens, I'm going to enjoy myself.

And after this year, Montreal will always be on the "must go" trip list.

Auzzy
06-18-2010, 11:50 PM
As mentioned on GoTFC, awesome video James!

Paul/mlsintoronto, wouldn't Invincible by Muse be a good song to play over the PA system at BMO field sometime?

EDIT: very loudly?

James Oliphant
06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
^
Heh...even just from the guitar solo onward. :D

Cashcleaner
06-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Greatest game of my life, and I was so lucky enough to witness it firsthand.

And I totally called it!

We can still win. The rules are a bit different than he is thinking. It's been mentioned in another thread.

The more I think about it, the more I want to go to Montreal. Sure, I'm pissed off over last night's loss to Vancouver, but there is still a chance to win this tourney. Toronto may have a pretty slim chance of pulling out a win by 4 goals, but if we do pull that off, it would be our greatest victory.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14038&highlight=Montreal

And the rest was history...

Inklink
06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
James, that was beautiful.

And thanks for making me find another song. I had never heard this one before :) .

billyfly
06-19-2010, 09:20 PM
HAHHAH..Hey Cash..and I was the first to write "Montreal Miracle" on the boards.

No one has been able to prove me wrong.

James Oliphant
06-19-2010, 09:22 PM
James, that was beautiful.

And thanks for making me find another song. I had never heard this one before :) .

Gotta go a little deeper into Muse's albums sometimes...the singles are rarely their best tracks.

And thanks...glad you liked the vid. :)

Hooligan69
06-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Good thing the Limp Act decided to roll over and play dead so TFC could win so easily. Happy anniversary.

redcard
06-19-2010, 09:40 PM
excellant video, brought back the memories, it truly was a miracle standing, singing in the rain and watching it unfold right before your eyes.

drove home that night and you couldnt take that smile off my face all the way home...

Auzzy
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
As mentioned on GoTFC, awesome video James!

Paul/mlsintoronto, wouldn't Invincible by Muse be a good song to play over the PA system at BMO field sometime?

EDIT: very loudly?

^
Heh...even just from the guitar solo onward. :D

Nah, let's go for the whole thing, I LOVE the build-up in the song! Maybe after a successful game? Wouldn't want to jinx it ;)

James Oliphant
06-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I suggested a while back that we add the bridge/chorus to our repertoire, but no one bought into it.

The HAARP live version is amazing.
WJJOFoEsgYw

__wowza
06-21-2010, 08:36 AM
i was watching the game at the comedy bar and screaming at the TV. then my sketch troupe went on and won that round of sketch com-ageddon! :D

Cashcleaner
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
HAHHAH..Hey Cash..and I was the first to write "Montreal Miracle" on the boards.

No one has been able to prove me wrong.

LOL! Do you guys remember Miraclegate? We had half of the people wanting "Miracle in Montreal" put on the new scarves and the other half wanting "Montreal Miracle".

billyfly
06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
^Yeah. LOL...

I didn't care. It all tasted SWEET in the end.