PDA

View Full Version : Does BMO Field, TFC and the MLS have rules regarding the vuvuzela horn

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 05:33 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/article/823153--kelly-the-horn-heard-around-the-world?bn=1 (http://http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/article/823153--kelly-the-horn-heard-around-the-world?bn=1)

I am just curious if the vuvuzela horn can be used at BMO and other MLS Stadiums, man can you hear it in full force on the World Cup Broadcasts.

London
06-14-2010, 05:38 AM
i read somewhere they were banned in MLS in the late 90's

they were having the "buzzing" problems in LA and Houston, i think.

Super
06-14-2010, 06:05 AM
i read somewhere they were banned in MLS in the late 90's

And thank God for that!!

nfitz
06-14-2010, 06:12 AM
If they'd use the things appropriately, instead of droning on from beginning to end ...

It was quite disappointing listening to the England match ... you could hear the England supporters singing at times, but those horns just spoil the whole thing..

I can only come to the conclusions that South Africans don't have much singing ability! :)

redcard
06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
you could hear the mexicans fighting the horns with there ole's...didnt last very long, but the horns gotta go.

flatpicker
06-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Vuvuzela = bad

Not in our house!

cuecas_red
06-14-2010, 07:28 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/prohibited-items

For the safety and security of our fans, the following is not permitted inside BMO Field:

Umbrellas (Fans are encouraged to bring raincoats or ponchos for inclement weather.)
Outside food & beverage of any kind
Metal or glass containers of any kind
Backpacks and large bags over 14x14x6 inches (subject to search)
Large flags, banners and drums
Noisemakers (air horns, whistles, cowbells, horns, etc.)

Fort York Redcoat
06-14-2010, 07:33 AM
If they'd use the things appropriately, instead of droning on from beginning to end ...

It was quite disappointing listening to the England match ... you could hear the England supporters singing at times, but those horns just spoil the whole thing..

I can only come to the conclusions that South Africans don't have much singing ability! :)

Appropriate use? I can't imagine. I can make that noise with my voice but why would I want to?

There was moments in the England match I heard a trumpet trying to break the monotony but to no avail.

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 07:36 AM
I could see some company trying to do a deal with the MLS to bring them to North America by bringing the sensation of the World Cup to the western world.

Chewy Unikronik
06-14-2010, 07:45 AM

For the safety and security of our fans, the following is not permitted inside BMO Field:
Umbrellas (Fans are encouraged to bring raincoats or ponchos for inclement weather.)

You'll notice flags, banners and drums too, no doubt :rolleyes:

lips
06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

THANK YOU

drewski
06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
cowbells are banned? grrr

devioustrevor
06-14-2010, 08:03 AM

So much for getting Blue Oyster Cult to play at halftime.

Parkdale
06-14-2010, 08:16 AM

that's why I have a 'jam block'.

and the security in 112 even told me that they'd turn a blind eye to a real cowbell.... gotta love those guys!
(and no... I have no plans to bring in a real cowbell)

jabbronies
06-14-2010, 08:24 AM

Guys...I gotta fever...and the only cure...is more cowbell at BMO

Oldtimer
06-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Twice I've seen people with horns getting kicked out by security. I've felt thankful both times.

Hitcho
06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Vuvuzela horns have nothing on TRN.

:hulk:

EDIT - only just realised that the rules actually ban "large ... drums". Even if you read the rules down to mean large drums and not just drums, that would still count. How did I never catch this before? They bring in a friggin' steel drum set every game. Time to get back in touch with the FO...

nascarguy
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
horns could be good if used the same way the drums are, and security can try to kick someone out but real someone could say kick the poeple out with drums & Large flags so ....

Wagner
06-14-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm not a fan of the VuVus.
but it is what they do over there.
they might think our singing and chants are silly.
I remember after the confed cup, they talked about banning them...but it's party of the soccer culture there, and the point of moving the WC host around, is to see how other places treat futbol.

Mark in Ottawa
06-14-2010, 09:31 AM
The VuVu's are interesting but just too prevelant. They are never quiet and unfortunately the majority of them seem to be in one key or note range.
The result is simply a wall of "background noise" with little variation like the singing of many voices.

Thank goodness for the confed cup being played before the World Cup. It gave the broadcasters a chance to experiment with dampening the crowd noise so we could still hear them a bit but without that persistent, droning, aggravating, buzzing.

I can't imagine how annoying it would be to be subjected to them for a full 90.

Roogsy
06-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I remember after the confed cup, they talked about banning them...but it's party of the soccer culture there, and the point of moving the WC host around, is to see how other places treat futbol.

This.

I think people forget that this is a global game and we're supposed to treat each region and culture with the respect we would like us to be treated with. Even if we don't understand or like the way other cultures do it.

I personally don't like the Vuvuzelas either, but I think I would be upset if they banned them. They might as well ban singing and banners at BMO Field as well too. It would be just as fair.

Hitcho
06-14-2010, 09:42 AM
^^ yeah I would agree with Wags and Roogs on the horns for the WC. That's local culture, and who are we to complain about it when the WC is being hosted there?

Having said that, I would be pissed if they appeared at BMO Field the way they have in the WC. Although at least it would help drown out the accursed TRN noise. :D

DaBandit
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
As annoying as the vuvuzelas are I actually could see a big positive for them at TFC games if they can drown out Jerry Dobson on any sportsnet telecast...

And a MUCH bigger positive would be to allow them to every hockey game Pierre Mcguire works!!!

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I bet we're not just hearing the South Africans... I wouldn't be surprised if the vuvuzelas are handed out like thundersticks, and you've got faces from every visiting nation blowing away into those damn things.

That said, they don't bother me at all.

Hessanfefer
06-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, last year at a game vs Chicago Fire I attended with my son, who brought his, I was told by security that I had to check it in at their office and pick it up after the game. A "brit" who was visiting and sitting near us was bemused by this and thought it rather excessive and "silly" and couldn't understand it as he said he brings his along when he attends a game back in England. :noidea:

rocker
06-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I was at BMO when a guy was caught with an air horn behind me. When he blew it the first time, I nearly had a heart attack since it was so unexpected. Security came to him immediately. They didn't confiscate it but warned him and he didn't use it again.

I don't want cowbells either. The guy at Portsmouth who rings the bells makes watching those games on TV so annoying.

drewski
06-14-2010, 10:00 AM
are they really part of the culture there though? from what I've read, they've only become somewhat common in the last decade (at the longest).

but hey, if its a culture thing, then I guess streamers will be allowed in Rio, hooliganism will be allowed in England* and indifference will be allowed in the US* :lol:

*if they get it

EDIT: and at 127db, that's a health hazard by any stretch when played constantly for a full game

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100607/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_soccer_world_vuvuzela

Steve
06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
This.

I think people forget that this is a global game and we're supposed to treat each region and culture with the respect we would like us to be treated with. Even if we don't understand or like the way other cultures do it.

I personally don't like the Vuvuzelas either, but I think I would be upset if they banned them. They might as well ban singing and banners at BMO Field as well too. It would be just as fair.

The problem is that Vuvuzelas are just too loud. If you have a few people blowing Vuvuzelas, suddenly you can't hear anyone else in the stadium. That's an important point considering the world cup isn't supposed to be about South Africa only, it's supposed to be an exhibition of the whole soccer(football) world. You have traveling fans from other nations that don't have a hope in the world of bringing us some good atmosphere, because those damned horns never stop. It's not a question of us trying to instill our ways on them, rather, they are instilling their ways on every other country in the world (since finding atmosphere generated by any other country is pretty much impossible at this point).

Roogsy
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Then more international visitors should have bought up tickets. The locals weren't buying until FIFA got desperate and discounted them for the locals.

If a South African goes to a game, he does what a South African does at the game. It's not about him "instilling" his ways on us, he is in his home country doing what they do in that country. If you want to see a more "European" or "western" fan experience, then they should have been the ones that showed up. Lord knows they were given every opportunity to do so. Or simply held the World Cup in a country where the traditions suit your style more.

Darlofletch
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM

EDIT - only just realised that the rules actually ban "large ... drums". Even if you read the rules down to mean large drums and not just drums, that would still count. How did I never catch this before? They bring in a friggin' steel drum set every game. Time to get back in touch with the FO...

So what you're saying is you want to get drums banned from supporters sections? :D
interesting.

Oldtimer
06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I heard some brave English fans try to outsing the vuvezelas. It was a hopeless task.

Hitcho
06-14-2010, 11:04 AM
So what you're saying is you want to get drums banned from supporters sections? :D
interesting.

Behave, Darlo... :D

Alarius
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Since none posted this yet...
http://thestranded.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/more-cowbell-tshirt1.jpg

Dirk Diggler
06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Who was blowing the vuvuzelas in the US-England match anyways? I thought those two countries bought the most tickets, so I assumed they must have filled the stadium. Apparently not from the sound of the telecast ... or maybe some Americans and English fans were blowing it themselves, which would not surprise me to be honest.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Ive seen tons of african supporters banging on drums...jumping singing..at this years world cup on TV....I can only imagine the beautiful sounds they are bringing....only thing is you cant hear them.. Singing is definitely a part of there culture...but these horns are even drowning out themselves.

james
06-14-2010, 12:59 PM
i love loud noise, drums, trumpets and horns if they play them all to a beat of music.

I also love the whole tifos, streamers, flares and i dont think ive ever wanted something banned before at a soccer stadium but those dam Vuvu horns are horrible, they just blow on them none stop for 90 mins every dam game and is ruining the World Cup atmosphere in my opinion. Its hard to even watch the games sometimes with that noise going none stop. They should seriously ban them, or at least only blow on them when a goal or something is scored.

james
06-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Who was blowing the vuvuzelas in the US-England match anyways? I thought those two countries bought the most tickets, so I assumed they must have filled the stadium. Apparently not from the sound of the telecast ... or maybe some Americans and English fans were blowing it themselves, which would not surprise me to be honest.

i bet there was a few US or English fans blowing on them, but most of them were most deffinitly africans. Apparently each country only gets something like 10%-15% of total capacity tickets given to them, the rest go to people of South Africa.

Every single English fan there must of had a flag hanging because they covered the whole stadium in England flags :D

Wagner
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Ive seen tons of african supporters banging on drums...jumping singing..at this years world cup on TV....I can only imagine the beautiful sounds they are bringing....only thing is you cant hear them.. Singing is definitely a part of there culture...but these horns are even drowning out themselves.

This is a good point.
maybe they do have some new/beautiful songs that aren't being heard over the droning.
I hadn't thought about this perspective before.

james
06-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Then more international visitors should have bought up tickets. The locals weren't buying until FIFA got desperate and discounted them for the locals.

If a South African goes to a game, he does what a South African does at the game. It's not about him "instilling" his ways on us, he is in his home country doing what they do in that country. If you want to see a more "European" or "western" fan experience, then they should have been the ones that showed up. Lord knows they were given every opportunity to do so. Or simply held the World Cup in a country where the traditions suit your style more.

If you have been watching alot of the World Cup matches you probably have noticed that almost every game is like maybe 3/4 full, and big problem with the world Cup being held in South Africa is that it cost people a lot of money to travel to Africa from Europe or Noth America or asia, majority of people cant aford it. Also South Africa is not the safest country to visit and many people between safety isues and exspensive costs i think thousands upon thousands decided to stay home and watch it. Also Africa being a poor continent many people in Africa cant aford the tickets. A average ticket cost in South Africa for the local clubs is $2. I dont know what the World cup prices are, but id imagine like 100 times that price.

Phil
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I read this on a site, no idea if its accurate but:

All this nonsense of vuvuzelas being part of South Africas culture is just nonsense. The plastic version was only created in 2001. The tin version only became popular in the 1990s, so it's not like it's been around as long as football in South Africa

Wagner
06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
i'm being swayed to the banning side...after Scott and Phil's postings...

what about a one game ban...just to hear the other songs and sounds that they make.

Cowboy905
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
i love the horns!

it's like watching a never ending wu video.

i'll bring mine to 115 for Motagua ;)

Yeoman
06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Appropriate use? I can't imagine. I can make that noise with my voice but why would I want to?

appropriate around you, would be every time you said douchebag, the horn gets blown.
but really, it would be blown at you in the face
i like this idea

drewski
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
I read this on a site, no idea if its accurate but:

thats what i said last page pretty much :p

H Bomb
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
This is a good point.
maybe they do have some new/beautiful songs that aren't being heard over the droning.
I hadn't thought about this perspective before.

Really? This is one of the big frustrating things. People are claiming culture, but we're talking about 5 dollar crappy plastic horns here.

TFC07
06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Who cares! If you don't like sound of vuvuzela, then hit Mute button.

South African soccer fans use vuvuzela to cheer. So let them!

Toronto Ruffrider
06-14-2010, 03:27 PM
The vuvuzelas are annoying as hell. That said, let the South Africans have their fun, then ban the stupid horns for all subsequent World Cups.

canadian_bhoy
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm fine with banning the Vuvuzela
But if they even ban Zubaz I'm going to be pissed (and willing to protest).

http://thisisleeran.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/zubaz.jpg

Jack
06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
So because it's a relatively recent innovation, that means it's not a part of their football culture?

atlanticTFCfan
06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Not sure if anyone even remembers this, but I do recall the Leafs and a few NHL teams selling the vuvuzela horn during the 1980s. There were times during their broadcasts that you could hear them. Not all at once, though.

I doubt they even had any goddamn idea what that horn actually was.

rocker
06-14-2010, 05:21 PM
i remember some people with these horns at Blue Jays games at the Ex in the 80s.
annoying then, annoying now. Thankfully they are banned at BMO (the topic of this thread).

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a question, does FIFA have final say about the use of vuvuzelas at stadiums and if so how can BMO not allow them to be used.

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Does the BMO rules anywhere say vuvuzelas can not be used, I would to see what would happen if some got tossed out of BMO and they asked to see where it says no vuvuzelas in the stadium, I believe they could not show you such a document.

drewski
06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Does the BMO rules anywhere say vuvuzelas can not be used, I would to see what would happen if some got tossed out of BMO and they asked to see where it says novuvuzelas in the stadium, I believe they could not show you such a document.

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 08:19 PM
So FIFA does not actually have a rule itself for vuvuzelas?

Yeoman
06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
it's a horn
just with an african name

drewski
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
the average pain threshold for human hearing is 130db, the vuvuzela can put out 127db

drewski
06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
So FIFA does not actually have a rule itself for vuvuzelas?

the fifa rules specifically exempt the vuvuzlea from the prohibited items list

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/ticketing/stadiumcodeofconduct.html

n) mechanically-operated instruments which produce an excessive volume of noise such as megaphones, hooters or gas-powered horns
(whose volume's are lower than vuvuzela's). Unbranded vuvuzelas are not considered Prohibited Items;

Alonso
06-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I remember watching a game where the camera was showing a little girl with industrial grade ear protection on, you know the big huge ear muffs you need when working beside an excavator and the like....

Those horns are f'n ridiculous and it's killing the World Cup atmosphere, I want to hear the Mexican fans 'Ole', and the English fans signing 'God save the Queen'...

It's just horrible to not be able to hear the opposing teams fans singing.

TorCanSoc
06-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Vuvuzelas? I thought those were invented in Hamilton... by TiCats fans. The only time I can recall seeing them is at Argos games a way back.

For us at BMO... how about giant whooopee cushions?!!! 21,000 strong fart. Now that would make news. :)

I'd have to agree to a ban. The world cup is not just for S.Africans. :hide:

Heathen
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I hate them because they drown out singing and other crowd noise but hell its their World cup they've spent billions so they can do whatever they want. One point that hasn't been raised much is that it isn't easy watching a game when you have a two foot plastic trumpet sticking out of your mouth so it makes me wonder exactly how much attention the hornblowers are paying to what's going on on the field.

TFCUNITED
06-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Would digeridoo's be allowed or would that be banned?

Roogsy
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
The world cup is not just for S.Africans. :hide:

And somehow South Africans celebrating the World Cup IN South Africa the way they celebrate things in the South African way....takes away from the World Cup for everyone else? How so?

Gawd...this isn't tennis people. You people are sounding like Kenny Le Roc Gordon.

James Oliphant
06-14-2010, 10:34 PM
The lesson here, folks, is that if Roogsy doesn't agree with you, you're a Blankenship.

ExiledRed
06-14-2010, 10:42 PM
So because it's a relatively recent innovation, that means it's not a part of their football culture?

yes, yes it does.

ban the fuckin' things, theyre horrible

BC101
06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
And somehow South Africans celebrating the World Cup IN South Africa the way they celebrate things in the South African way....takes away from the World Cup for everyone else? How so?

Gawd...this isn't tennis people. You people are sounding like Kenny Le Roc Gordon.
LOL you said this in a MUCH Nicer way than I was just going to. Good thing I actually READ the thread before posting LOLLLLLLLL.

Roogsy
06-14-2010, 10:56 PM
The lesson here, folks, is that if Roogsy doesn't agree with you, you're a Blankenship.

The lesson here is that if you're a whinging sourpuss, you definitely sound like Blankenship. Yours is such a transparent strawman argument it's like you're not even trying to hide your lack of logic.

H Bomb
06-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Uhoh. Now people are taking chats about plastic horns personally.
Although this transparent strawman intrigues me.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Wow. My 2 cents.

Africans should probably just be isolated from everybody else, but I can't understand how anyone could possibly live with these horns. They produce a noise just as irritating as nails against a chalkboard, but okay we say let them have their culture. It's not just football, it's the whole fucking continent. Journalists have complained the milk-man uses it at 5am. Players are complaining that they get no sleep because even before the sun sets out, these things are out and about. Going back to culture, it's clear these things are apart of Afrcian Culture, and if it's one thing we should learn, it's African culture should not be included with the rest of the world, but simply excluded. This is Africa from my point of view:

7V9-y0QWSGY

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Well it looks like they are taking the UK by storm, how far can North America be behind

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/14/bbc-vuvuzela-free-world-cup (http://http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/14/bbc-vuvuzela-free-world-cup)

Ladies Love Julius James
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
They're already here all over little Italy today.

James Oliphant
06-15-2010, 12:21 AM
The lesson here is that if you're a whinging sourpuss, you definitely sound like Blankenship. Yours is such a transparent strawman argument it's like you're not even trying to hide your lack of logic.

Really? Because your classification of anyone who wants the vevuzelas banned as a "whinging sourpuss" certainly makes that the apparent lesson here. I mean, this is the only thing I can glean from your arguments. What's so transparently straw man-like about that?

Perhaps my phrasing of the statement was the problem...it wasn't meant to be a blanket statement about all your arguments on these boards...just the ones in this particular thread. If that wasn't clear, my apologies to you.

drewski
06-15-2010, 08:02 AM
annoyingness aside, when it affects the quality of soccer and people's health, I could care less about the "culture" (and I use that term loosely)

loconet
06-15-2010, 08:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TMRvl.png
http://www.upload.ee/image/636648/vuvu.jpg

Chewy Unikronik
06-15-2010, 09:04 AM

Please tell me this is a joke. They have just as much right to be there as you do. You don't like it, tough titties.

drewski
06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
BBC considers silencing vuvuzelas

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/bbc-considers-silencing-vuvuzelas/article1604722/

KdotOdot
06-15-2010, 11:35 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHa
everyone crying over these horns is HILARIOUS to me. I'm ALL FOR the vuvu it's a big FUCK YOU to everyone. It only seems to bother the European players anyway. WHA we can't hear ourselves WHAAAA. AHHA FUCK YOU!! BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Supporters trying to sing their songs with their fancy lyrics "Oh we're the best there ever was we are the BZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ' HAHAHAHAHAH!!

Imagine that shit at BMO.. fucking legendary. Imagine bringing those to away games even MORE legendary. In montreal "Aleez Les Blue We Love impact la la BXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Fucking awesome!!!

KRO
06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Best post in this thread.
I was going to say these plastic horns show a complete lack of imagination but this does a much better job.

rocker
06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
It only seems to bother the European players anyway.

huh? Even the Nigerians said Vuvuzelas are bullshit.

”It is alien to our style and we will not go there with one or buy any in South Africa. We have a traditional way of supporting our team and FIFA has praised our style.

“Many teams have cried against the use of the instrument in football because of the deafening noise and we are not going to encourage it in Nigerian football.”

http://www.kickoff.com/news/14879/nigeria-will-not-use-vuvuzelas-2010-world-cup.php

KdotOdot
06-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Man....who gives a fuck about the Nigerians. They're so far North they're out of touch with whats cool.

Belfast_Boy
06-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Personally I don't give a shit. it's Africas show, let them do it however they want.

if we ever get the WC we can do it up Canadian style. have all the seats at Leaf prices and everyone can sit and be quiet all game. lets see how the African players deal with dat!

i think Kdot has gold there about away games. can we get a discount on a bunch of them?

Roogsy
06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I seem to be the only one that brings my whistle to games. I wish we'd start there. You know, whistle when the opposing team touches the ball, whistle when we want the ref to call the game, whistle when the ref fails to call a foul in our favour etc. :D

(Yes, I can't whistle on my own so I need to bring a plastic one.)

Suds
06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
BBC considers silencing vuvuzelas

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/bbc-considers-silencing-vuvuzelas/article1604722/

no idea if broadcasters are doing anything ... but has anyone noticed you can hear the crowds better during today's games?

you still hear the vuvuzelas, but you can clearly hear roars from the crowds now ... maybe some of the people at the games are sick of blowing the things non-stop for 3 days :noidea:

Troll
06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Maradona doesn't have any problems with it....

http://i47.tinypic.com/20f2911.jpg

H Bomb
06-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Proof positive that only idiots use them;)

Gobi
06-15-2010, 04:16 PM
If I ever see anyone try to bring a vuvuzela into BMO I will bash his head with it.

BC101
06-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Personally I don't give a shit. it's Africas show, let them do it however they want.

if we ever get the WC we can do it up Canadian style. have all the seats at Leaf prices and everyone can sit and be quiet all game. lets see how the African players deal with dat!

i think Kdot has gold there about away games. can we get a discount on a bunch of them?
So Timmies and Sidney Crosby and Ice? probably played in winter?

H Bomb
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
If I ever see anyone try to bring a vuvuzela into BMO I will bash his head with it.

Sexist

Red CB Toronto
06-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I was talking to someone over at MLSE about the possibilities of vuvuzelas and I think it would be great to have them at BMO, they are such a cool thing the more I read about them, I know they are noise but come on they just belong right up there with chants, looks like they will be out in full force in the UK this year.

CoachGT
06-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I hate going to junior hockey games in some rinks where they sell them. Used to drive the coaches that I worked with nuts!

I'm hoping that I never, ever hear one at BMO!

H Bomb
06-15-2010, 05:43 PM
I was talking to someone over at MLSE about the possibilities of vuvuzelas and I think it would be great to have them at BMO, they are such a cool thing the more I read about them, I know they are noise but come on they just belong right up there with chants, looks like they will be out in full force in the UK this year.

you actually believe they'll be used largely in Britain? Dude you really cant believe everything you read. Feel free to like them all you want but good luck getting them into BMO....me and a mob will be there to tear them from your mouths!!! Gobi dont mess around!

Toronto Ruffrider
06-15-2010, 05:46 PM

I hope this is sarcasm.:ack2:

FluSH
06-15-2010, 08:47 PM
CBLAKE.... WTF are you doing? We need to chat.

Dirk Diggler
06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHa
everyone crying over these horns is HILARIOUS to me. I'm ALL FOR the vuvu it's a big FUCK YOU to everyone. It only seems to bother the European players anyway. WHA we can't hear ourselves WHAAAA. AHHA FUCK YOU!! BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Supporters trying to sing their songs with their fancy lyrics "Oh we're the best there ever was we are the BZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ' HAHAHAHAHAH!!

Imagine that shit at BMO.. fucking legendary. Imagine bringing those to away games even MORE legendary. In montreal "Aleez Les Blue We Love impact la la BXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Fucking awesome!!!

LMAO hahaha ... this is pretty much exactly how I view this as well.

Wagner
06-15-2010, 09:10 PM
CBLAKE.... WTF are you doing? We need to chat.

I'm with you Flush.

Cblake's idea has earned this...
TIvxqUCu41Q

Luca
06-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Doesn't the Vuvuzela produce a note a minor second (1 semitone) lower than that at B-flat?

/pedantry

flatpicker
06-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Imagine bringing those to away games even MORE legendary. In montreal "Aleez Les Blue We Love impact la la BXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Fucking awesome!!!

I have said that I hate those horns... and I still do.
But I kinda like where you are going with this.... or maybe I won't after thinking more about it.

But having TFC road warriors blasting those irritating noise makers during away matches might not be terrible.
It would do wonders to drown out the local supporters and drive them nuts.
Although, other MLS stadiums might have the same rules about not bringing them in.
But if we could, it might be kinda funny and effective.
God, supporters around the league would really hate us (if they don't already).

Hitcho
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Please tell me this is a joke. They have just as much right to be there as you do. You don't like it, tough titties.

It's not a question of having a right to be there, of course they do. It's just the scale of what they do. The TRN drums are so loud and overpowering that everyone around them is forced to endure the ENTIRE GAME with nothing but the incessant, monotonous, extremely loud noise they make. Chanting is impossible, hearing the rest of the stadium is impossible - it's completely overpowering and those around them are forced to suffer through it whether they want to or not.

Case in point - if TRN were moved to the back of 112 there would be a fucking riot to get rid of them because the bunker would no longer be able ot operate. If you moved them to the back of any other section in the stadium everyone else would be just as pissed off. So why should the people in 118 have to put up with it?

I don't question their right to be there, but I do question their right to obliterate the game day experience of everyone around them.

Super
06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I hate the horns. Period. But they are here to stay, so oh well.

H Bomb
06-15-2010, 11:16 PM
But they are there to stay,

Fixed

Red CB Toronto
06-16-2010, 01:19 AM
It was being cynical on my part, I would never expect to see them in full force at BMO

Super
06-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Fixed

LOL true, Matt. And thank God for that!

nobodybeatsthewiz
06-16-2010, 02:07 AM
it wasn't meant to be a blanket statement about all your arguments on these boards...just the ones in this particular thread

knowing your consistent crass dished out to people (more so 'newbies' who put themselves out there) on this board i'd more than venture to say that you are blanketing things. ye asked for a response.....ye got one.

tfcleeds
06-16-2010, 04:43 AM
This.

Agreed Roogsy. Imagine if World Cup games were held at BMO. I imagine everyone around the world would complain about the constant barrage of streamers thrown during corner kicks at the players, but hey, they'd just have to deal with it. It's part of our footballing culture after all. :)

Cowboy905
06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
can't wait for the 2:30 match to hear those beloved horns in full force! my bud is in SA right now attending the Italian games and going on safari's to shoot T-Rex's, he's bringing me back one of those horns, i can't wait :)

drewski
06-16-2010, 10:01 AM
got this joke this and #8 reminded me of this thread :lol:

Top 10 Reasons Vuvuzela Horns Suck
10. The frackin' things can cause permanent hearing damage.

9. They sound like the game is being attacked by killer bees.

8. Just like Thundersticks and Korea, you know some misguided Californian team is going to adopt them after this.

7. Vuvuzela sounds far too much like a new prescription Vulva medication.

6. Soccer chants are so much more clever than horn blowing, even when the chant is simply, "You're a Wanker! You're a Wanker!" sung to the Hallelujah chorus.

5. Journalists kvetching about how annoying vuvuzelas are will be nearly as annoying as the horns themselves.

4. People kvetching about the vuvuzela on Twitter will be far more annoying than the journos AND vuvuzela will be the trending topic for weeks.

3. Somebody is going to do a TV piece about this and use 2 Live Crew's "Me So Horny" as an intro.

2. It doesn't matter if you stay away from the TV. With this virtual vuvuzela (http://www.brothersoft.com/games/flash/vuvuzela-button.html) there is no escape.

1. IT JUST BLOWS!

KdotOdot
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm bringing a dozen to the next TFC game.

"We Love You We LovBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzAnd where you go we BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Cowboy905
06-16-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm bringing a dozen to the next TFC game.

"We Love You We LovBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzAnd where you go we BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

i like it!

rocker
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Agreed Roogsy. Imagine if World Cup games were held at BMO. I imagine everyone around the world would complain about the constant barrage of streamers thrown during corner kicks at the players, but hey, they'd just have to deal with it. It's part of our footballing culture after all. :)

streamers hurt my ears! ;)

Dbl_D
06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
+1 ;)

james
06-16-2010, 05:20 PM
i wouldnt care if they only used the horn when S.Africa plays, but its every dam game for 90 mins, its mindless stupid noise.

Belfast_Boy
06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
for those interested my music nerd GF says it's a B flat.

H Bomb
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I think its a bit too much credit to give that sound a musical value.

loconet
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Soooooooooo About the vuvuzelas: http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/

Oldtimer
06-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Comment from the TFC website:

Mike Ulmer
There are two things I heard on the telly today that will forever remind me of the 2010 World Cup.

“Sanchez stays down,” muttered by an urbane British announcer who gave an ironic twist on the forest of players from Latin countries reflexively grabbing their heads and knees.
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/button-16x9-280x160//sites/default/files/image_nodes/2010/06/Vuvuzela.jpg Vuvuzela
The second, of course, is the vuvuzela which apparently is as big a part of South African tradition as unlawful search and seizure.

With FIFA president Sepp Blatter on record as saying the vuvuzela is here to stay, and with broadcasters urging announcers to switch from microphones to headsets, the vuvuzela will be remembered as being as native to the tournament as locusts were to the Old Testament.

And while the high foreheads of FIFA consider them all the rage, it took some good old North America horsesense to stop the craziness at the border.

If you peruse the prohibited items (http://www.torontofc.ca/prohibited-items) for BMO Field you will find the following things on the NO NO List…
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/06/torontofcworldcupblog

Mikey
06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Lets not foget that this is MLS, so most U.S franchises will in fact be using a recorded loop of the vuvuzelas through their P.A. systems for the duration of MLS games. This will help ensure that authentic "world class" feeling to their 5,000 or so attendees......along with all you can eat sections and rebranding seats as "buttock holders" so that they no longer feel embarrased that they need one for each ass cheek.

GhostKiller
06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
How about I just walk around BMO field farting.

That is all

Carts
06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
You guys are all complaining about the horns - well get this...

I'm gonna get one of the "LRAD Sound Cannons" the Toronto Police are using during the G20 and turn it on for 90-minutes...

Forget simple hearing damage, LRAD's can emit ear-blasting sounds so high in frequency they transcend normal thresholds of pain, these things can incapacitate people in seconds...!!!

Top That...!!!

Carts... :D

Yeoman
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Agreed Roogsy. Imagine if World Cup games were held at BMO. I imagine everyone around the world would complain about the constant barrage of beer cups thrown during corner kicks at the players, but hey, they'd just have to deal with it. It's part of our footballing culture after all. :)

ah fixed
much more accurate now

ExiledRed
06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Soooooooooo About the vuvuzelas: http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/

fucking awesome!

open six of these windows at once, and its almost like you're really there. I suggest anyone who thinks theyre cool, do this, crank up the sound and just leave it like that for ninety minutes.

Go on, do it.

lazlo_80
06-19-2010, 09:33 AM
these things have been killing the world cup for me. Just watching it on tv it loses so much emotion without the crowd chants and reactions to big plays. It's a real bummer.

Jack
06-19-2010, 09:39 AM
It was great to hear the Mexico supporters singing over top of the vuvuzelas during their match and you could also hear the England supporters singing at times as well. I like them, though I wouldn't want them to spread. Different football support across the world is part of the game.

denime
06-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Check our new RPB home page:

www.redpatchboys.com (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.redpatchboys.com/forum)

DOMIN8R
06-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Curse you, D!

Toronto Ruffrider
06-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Check our new RPB home page:

www.redpatchboys.com (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.redpatchboys.com/forum)

Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again.:D

J .
06-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Unhappy I couldnt hear the chants from the various countries supporters, but I supposed if I was in SA I would get on the VuVu train like it seems most people have down there.

Zeke_Jones
06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
I think its a shame those things drown out the sound of the supporters. Although I could clearly hear chanting in the Serbia and Germany game which made me happy that at least I saw one game without the bumblebee soundtrack.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Unhappy I couldnt hear the chants from the various countries supporters, but I supposed if I was in SA I would get on the VuVu train like it seems most people have down there.

A lot of people here have got on the VuVu train. I'm just glad these noisemakers aren't allowed at BMO Field.

SilverSamurai
06-20-2010, 12:50 AM
It was great to hear the Mexico supporters singing over top of the vuvuzelas during their match and you could also hear the England supporters singing at times as well. I like them, though I wouldn't want them to spread. Different football support across the world is part of the game.
+1.
Was nice to hear the Mexican chants.

Kevvv
06-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Vuvuzelas blow

AdamoTheGreat
06-20-2010, 02:25 PM
i've ordered a vuvuzela and will be using it at upcoming tfc matches just to piss you all off. :drum:

nfitz
06-20-2010, 03:28 PM
i've ordered a vuvuzela and will be using it at upcoming tfc matches just to piss you all off.Yeah, because security won't notice that ...

Davenport
06-20-2010, 04:42 PM
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/Kevie-SA/Vuvuzela.jpg

Zeke_Jones
06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
^ Exactly what I think the vuvuzelas sound like!

Red Rat
06-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Vuvuzelas are legal at BMO as long as they are use as a masturbation device, otherwise no blow

rr

Brooker
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/Kevie-SA/Vuvuzela.jpg

That is exactly what would happen to somebody if they brought a Vuvuzela into 112.

james
06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHa

Fucking awesome!!!

Well ill just get a sound canon that they use at the G20 and turn it on for 90 mins to drown out your stupid horns! :D

AdamoTheGreat
06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, because security won't notice that ...

yeah, like security ever notices anything i sneak in...its a comedy

nfitz
06-24-2010, 11:55 PM
yeah, like security ever notices anything i sneak in...its a comedyUnless you can think of a way to play a vuvuzela without making any noise, I think they will notice.

And I expect on Sunday we'll have threads here with people whining that they vuvuzela was taken away ...

sulfur
06-25-2010, 05:57 AM
The TFC email sent out about Saturday's game had a big section at the end pointing out that vuvuzelas were not permitted and would be confiscated. :)

craz11
06-26-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm part South African (my mom and her family are from Kimberly, SA the diamond mining capital of the world).

I've been RPB and a SSH since the get go.

I just returned from my first ever visit to South Africa, and I'm really disappointed that I can't bring a piece of SA Soccer culture into my home stadium, BMO Field.

First off, the vuvuzelas are not nearly as annoying as you all likely think when they are blown en masse (that is when they sound like a bunch of angry bees).

They ARE annoying when blown solo; they just sound like any other stupid horn. They're SUPER annoying when the guy behind you is blowing it in your ear - just like any horn. However, when they reach bee-buzz-drone they are remarkably easy to just tune out. If you're actually watching the soccer you won't notice them at all. It's the bee-drone that makes the vuvuzela special. It has to do with the imperfection of the horn design that causes the frequency to fluctuate. When multiple vuvuzelas are blown, the fluctuations are never in sync, so you get a buzzing sound. Flourescent lights also make a similar buzz, though not as loud, still most people are able to easily block this out as "white noise". Vuvuzelas are the same unless you search for the sound to be annoyed by it.

I was at England v. Algeria and when "God Save The Queen" was sung, it completely drowned out all of the vuvuzelas - to me this made it all the more fantastic - it sent chills down my spine.

If you're complaining about the vuvuzela sound on your TV, you should really put some pants on and man up. It's not even close to the real thing, and the real thing isn't that bad.

Every vuvuzela complainer is just a bleeding heart. Go watch the NFL and their no celebration policy. I'm sure I don't hear you singing at BMO Field anyway.

AL-MO
06-26-2010, 12:17 AM
I tune them out for the WC, but I'm not putting up with them @ BMO. Sorry.

rocker
06-26-2010, 09:50 AM
I
They ARE annoying when blown solo; they just sound like any other stupid horn. They're SUPER annoying when the guy behind you is blowing it in your ear - just like any horn.

You just gave the best reasons to ban them at BMO..... Thanks!

The K-Man!
06-26-2010, 10:20 AM
BMO security were more than happy to help me with my vuvuzela...

ExiledRed
06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm part South African (my mom and her family are from Kimberly, SA the diamond mining capital of the world).

I just returned from my first ever visit to South Africa, and I'm really disappointed that I can't bring a piece of SA Soccer culture into my home stadium, BMO Field.

First off, the vuvuzelas are not nearly as annoying as you all likely think when they are blown en masse (that is when they sound like a bunch of angry bees).

They ARE annoying when blown solo; they just sound like any other stupid horn. They're SUPER annoying when the guy behind you is blowing it in your ear - just like any horn. However, when they reach bee-buzz-drone they are remarkably easy to just tune out. If you're actually watching the soccer you won't notice them at all. It's the bee-drone that makes the vuvuzela special. It has to do with the imperfection of the horn design that causes the frequency to fluctuate. When multiple vuvuzelas are blown, the fluctuations are never in sync, so you get a buzzing sound. Flourescent lights also make a similar buzz, though not as loud, still most people are able to easily block this out as "white noise". Vuvuzelas are the same unless you search for the sound to be annoyed by it.

I was at England v. Algeria and when "God Save The Queen" was sung, it completely drowned out all of the vuvuzelas - to me this made it all the more fantastic - it sent chills down my spine.

If you're complaining about the vuvuzela sound on your TV, you should really put some pants on and man up. It's not even close to the real thing, and the real thing isn't that bad.

Every vuvuzela complainer is just a bleeding heart. Go watch the NFL and their no celebration policy. I'm sure I don't hear you singing at BMO Field anyway.

Mate, not to be rude or anything, but im fucking happy that you cant bring that piece of SA soccer culture to BMO field, and use it to piss all over the culture that's been developing here for the last four years.

I dont agree with you that they arent annoying when blown en masse, and explaining why they sound like shit doesnt make them sound better.

Jesus, even my kids get tired of blowing horns after about ten minutes of it.

Compare the stadium atmospheres from the last WC, where each country was bringing their all to the stands, to the current WC which can be likened to the droning sound of a crashed car with the driver's head forced down on the steering wheel.

james
06-27-2010, 11:57 AM

I love the atmosphere from South America, to Europe to Asia and to Africa. Northern Africa, wow, the atmosphere is amazing with Tifos and chanting and drums. Same goes for places like Argentina drumming and trumpets, italinas Tifos, the English singing, The japan singing and druming. Its amazing, the only place i hate is the crappy South Africa . Its crap, sounds like crap, anoying and ruins it for all the other countries who have plenty of culture and atmosphere to show off to the world. South Africa horns have no beat, no tune, no skills involved to blow. Anyone could just blow on the stupid things. And your post did not help change my mind, if anything you made me even more sure on how crappy those horns are when you post that they are anoying!