PDA

View Full Version : Cronin no longer with TFC

Pages : [1] 2

Ladies Love Julius James
06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
No I don't have a verified source but person who just texted me the info hasn't been wrong. I've broken news here before so if you don't think it's legit then remove the thread.

I received a text from someone close to the team saying " Cronin gone from TFC, you heard it here first"

anyways cheers.

shameless plug: www.juliusjames.blogspot.com (http://www.juliusjames.blogspot.com)

reggie
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
wow...a trade i guess..
anybody at open practice today,was he there?

ArmenJBX
06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Did someone say Will Johnson? :D

kaos197O
06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Wouldn't surprise me as we knew he's been on the block as trade bait to secure someone who could help the club further. He has played well in the time he has gotten this year so it's the perfect time for it IMO.

BleedRed
06-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I really try not to post here after reading stupid shit...but cronin for johnson? Someone at RSL would have to be totally retarded to make this trade...unless WJ wants to come here...this WILL NOT happen.

DOMIN8R
06-12-2010, 06:39 PM
He wasn't in practice today and there were 2 faces I didn't recognize.

reggie
06-12-2010, 06:54 PM
watching tfc tv..no cronin and a couple of new guys #36 and #31..
hmmm some fun on a saturday night,who are these guys and where is cronin??

deacon
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
if true, wish him the best. mature young player, never got to play his natural position. Change of venue in his interst, hope TFC got a good deal,

twistedchinaman
06-12-2010, 07:21 PM
If he is truly gone, it is a great loss -- but there better be a great gain attached.

But knowing Mo...

TFCtoMUFC
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Hainault?

I will greatly miss Cronin. Favourite player gone = [

ilikemusic
06-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Preki clearly didnt want him and in his sparse appearances he did not look too inspiring.

He showed potential last year, but was nothing to hitch the wagon to. If Preki didnt want him on his team then so be it. I wish him good luck.

sidvan
06-12-2010, 07:38 PM
New regime, new scheme. Cronin was Robbo part deux last year but now both are gone.

Really liked Cronin for TFC and an sad he's gone.

reggie
06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
maybe for a pick...to clear some cap room..

andyc
06-12-2010, 07:41 PM
The fake Mo Johnson on Twitter posted this about 30 mins ago:

MauriceJohnston (https://twitter.com/MauriceJohnston)
Sam Cronin has been traded. He will be a star in this league mark my words. Wish him well TFC fans. Cheers Sam Sorry I couldn't keep my word

Then he mentioned something about San Jose getting a gift a bit later.

sidvan

the infamous 3rd round pick?

TFCtoMUFC

His salary was like 35,000 if I remember correctly. Not much cap room being cleared.

Waggy
06-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Cronin is (was) my favorite TFC player. And, once again, it appears that title is a curse for its owner. But while Cronins salary may not have been huge, he was a roster spot. If his departure either brings us a better player, or allows us to sign a better player (in the IMMEDIATE short term. As in, within this world cup and the coming transfer window), I'm all for it. If not...

reggie
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
if thats the the case it does not help the cap space much...isnt he in the 75k range?

Whoop
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
The key is traded for what?

ArmenJBX
Sources say:

Dwayne De Guzman! :O

TFCtoMUFC
I'm saying Hainault.

deacon
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
unless it's a multi team deal, Cronin to earthquakes will be for future draft pick. I don't think TFC has a need for any of their players, atleast the ones they would trade

reggie
06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
i say galindo from chivas

Pachuco
06-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Innnnnnteresting

H Bomb
06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
boooooooooo

TFC07
06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
trade? released? more info please!

But yeah, Cronin days with TFC were numbered. So I am not surprised he's gone.

Good luck to Cronin. :flare:

stoked
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
A striker who can score?

Pachuco
06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
A striker who can score?

I'd prefer a winger who can cross or a defender who can defend the wings

Kaz
06-12-2010, 08:41 PM
A striker who can score?

Not on a preki squad, OBW and Barrett could develop a strong partnership, with DeRo providing service, but Preki won't play that way, he's not an offensive minded coach. If Cronin is gone it'll be for a box to box midfielder for further depth.

DigzTFC!
06-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I watched TFC Today - Andrew Ornoch is number 29

31 - Eastern european guy that mentioned before?
37 - Ibad Muhmadu with hair maybe?

TFC07
06-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Not on a preki squad, OBW and Barrett could develop a strong partnership, with DeRo providing service, but Preki won't play that way, he's not an offensive minded coach. If Cronin is gone it'll be for a box to box midfielder for further depth.

True. Preki's needs be more offensive minded.

Anyway, we need (quality) strikers since we don't have many on the team. Winger is another need too, but I think striker is a bigger need than a winger.

eagles8
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Cronin out... yet we still have Garcia.

TFC_PB
06-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Cronin is my favourite player. I hope this rumour is not true, but if it is, I hope he goes somewhere where he is valued.

:(

jimiv
06-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Cronin is my favourite player. I hope this rumour is not true, but if it is, I hope he goes somewhere where he is valued.

:(

I too like Cronin, I wish he had more playing time, I'm sure where ever he goes he'll be able to play more.

jimiv
06-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Cronin out... yet we still have Garcia.

I'd love to see the pictures that Garcia has of Preki and Mo, they must be good, otherwise he would have been gone long ago.

:hump:

S_D
06-12-2010, 11:54 PM
the infamous 3rd round pick?

I think we have most of them already LOL.

Cronin is a decent player but he is going to have to reinvent himself to stay in the league or become a heck of a lot stronger to be a defensive mid. His marking and tackling was good but not spectacular and he was just not big/strong enough to knock the physical MLS players off of the ball.

From what I saw of him he had a decent soccer IQ (for the MLS) so he should be useful for someone, and hopefully useful enough that we got value in the trade (if it was a trade).

TFCRegina
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
:flare::scarf:Baseless Speculation! WHOO!!!!:scarf::flare:

:facepalm:

SilverSamurai
06-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Hope its not true, but in all honesty I'm not surprised. Once JDG came, it was obvious Cronin's time was up.
Still why NOT keep him, with all the games TFC has, PLUS you need a backup while JDG is hurt (again). Seems only reasonable to use Cronin in the holding MF role...

Keystone FC
06-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Sad to see Cronin go. It looked like he was fitting in with the system, but this is the nature of the beast that is MLS. Good luck to him but also it's good to see TFC looking ahead and making moves to improve an already improved side.

Shway
06-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Hope its not true, but in all honesty I'm not surprised. Once JDG came, it was obvious Cronin's time was up.
Still why NOT keep him, with all the games TFC has, PLUS you need a backup while JDG is hurt (again). Seems only reasonable to use Cronin in the holding MF role...

Preki favours Sanyang in that position
becauseeee he is alot stronger and aggressive then cronin

Dub Narcotic
06-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Cronin was kind of a tweener, jack of all trades, master of none, not physical enough to be a good DM, not skilled enough to be a good attacking midfielder. I hope he finds his niche somewhere in the league, he was always a good soldier. Truth be told, though, this is a little bit of disappointing end to a very high draft pick.

sampace
06-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Where is an official link, can't find anything saying that he is rumored to be gone or is gone anywhere else. Can you post something?

James17930
06-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Cronin was kind of a tweener, jack of all trades, master of none, not physical enough to be a good DM, not skilled enough to be a good attacking midfielder. I hope he finds his niche somewhere in the league, he was always a good soldier. Truth be told, though, this is a little bit of disappointing end to a very high draft pick.

That's what I always though too. He was a Rance Mulliniks (sp). But that's about it.

Shway
06-13-2010, 07:04 AM
I watched TFC Today - Andrew Ornoch is number 29

31 - Eastern european guy that mentioned before?
37 - Ibad Muhmadu with hair maybe?

36 Kyle Porter (previously with Energie Cottbuss on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps)

scut farkus
06-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I was always disappointed that Cronin didn't get regular starts. It was really evident that he wasn't in Preki's plans. Great utility player -- he'll be missed (if true, that is).

TFCRegina
06-13-2010, 08:08 AM
No link, Nothing to back it up. Just baseless speculation because he wasn't at a practice...that could mean anything, it doesn't mean he's off the side.

prizby
06-13-2010, 08:33 AM
No link, Nothing to back it up. Just baseless speculation because he wasn't at a practice...that could mean anything, it doesn't mean he's off the side.

kind of hard to say there is a link when it was clearly said a text msg...this isn't the first time LLJJ has posted a rumour that LLJJ gets through a text, i even believe the last one LLJJ posted ended up being true

Yohan
06-13-2010, 08:42 AM
with roster restrictions, you need these kind of players in MLS

cheap, can play in multiple positions utility players who can play well in a few games when starters get injured or away on international duties

poppamidnight
06-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I said it before the draft,
and this news just proves my point:

Omar Gonzalez should have been taken by us...

In an organization with a history of shady calls, this is definitely in the top-3 (but my overall #1 worst decision thus far)...

Almost all mock drafts agreed w/ me...

in professional sports, you shouldn't take players that are "the most ready" over potential... (as no matter what all rookies need degrees of development).

While it may not have permitted us getting Cann, hypothetically our back line could be the best in the league right now with:

Attakora___Cann___Omar____Usanov/Gargan ..... Hsanovics off the bench.

What's worse... At the time of that draft, we had a damn solid MF, but still a terrible backline!!!!

Will any of those "draft-Cronin-over-Omar" minds now come forward and admit their horrible miscalculation?

DigzTFC!
06-13-2010, 10:59 AM
The Houston Dynamo and the Kansas City Wizards are looking for DM.

Both are extending trials for that position.

Hopefully, they see Cronin as a DM before they really find out he should be a RB.

Kansas seems like a good trading partner as their defence has been horrific this year and could use a utility guy like Cronin.

But don't start the rumors for Ibbe + Cronin for Bunbury quite yet....

H Bomb
06-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I was hoping we wouldnt have to deal with any tfc bullshit during the cup but not I realize this is a great chance for mo to continue doing his job poorly without the masses noticing.

ag futbol
06-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Well in the grand scheme of things we missed out on multiple players in that first round that would have filled a need and been very productive for TFC. I don't think Cronin is terrible by any means, but the other guys (Alston, Omar, Pontius, Wallace) have all turned out to be useful MLS players AND would have filled needs on our roster. Instead we picked up an extra DM when we were already committing a large salary chunk to Robo and AG was playing as the AM. Add it to the long list of moves that seem to be done by TFC without much foresight.

Not surprised if this ends up being true. He's looked a lot like trade bait for a while now.

ManUtd4ever
06-13-2010, 11:08 AM
It's difficult to gauge the merit of this potential roster move until the details of the transaction are confirmed. On the surface it seems like a logical decision considering Cronin has become somewhat redundant with the likes of Labrocca, Sanyang, Peterson, and Saric being utilized as starters to augment JDG in the midfield. If the return is equitable and the trade is a precursor to another roster move that adds a quality striker it will definitely benefit the club moving forward...

sampace
06-13-2010, 11:11 AM
If K.C. is the trading partner of choice I'd rather take Kei Kamara he is a fiesty player you hate to play against but definetly would add quality to our roster of Forward Options.

RedRum
06-13-2010, 11:19 AM
He's been dealt to SJ.

sampace
06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Link, details, for whom?

DigzTFC!
06-13-2010, 11:28 AM
If he was dealt to SJ then I doubt we got anything back except picks and allocation.

They wouldn't want to mess up team chemistry and let someone go...I would like Ryan Johnson or Arturo Alvarez though. But I just don't see Cronin netting a whole lot from that roster

MUFC_Niagara
06-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I was hoping we wouldnt have to deal with any tfc bullshit during the cup but not I realize this is a great chance for mo to continue doing his job poorly without the masses noticing.

+1...

ag futbol
06-13-2010, 11:31 AM
^ Yeah it seems unlikely we got much value for him. Most likely they are taking a pick and clearing a roster spot to make room for a trialist if they like one.

Cashcleaner
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Well this sorta came outta left field (if it's confirmed, that is). I've always liked Cronin and felt he had a fairly secure future with TFC. However, I can't really pass judgment on Mo or Preki until we find out what we are getting in return.

reggie
06-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Omar Gonzalez should have been taken by us...

In an organization with a history of shady calls, this is definitely in the top-3 (but my overall #1 worst decision thus far)...

Almost all mock drafts agreed w/ me...

in professional sports, you shouldn't take players that are "the most ready" over potential... (as no matter what all rookies need degrees of development).

While it may not have permitted us getting Cann, hypothetically our back line could be the best in the league right now with:

Attakora___Cann___Omar____Usanov/Gargan ..... Hsanovics off the bench.

What's worse... At the time of that draft, we had a damn solid MF, but still a terrible backline!!!!

Will any of those "draft-Cronin-over-Omar" minds now come forward and admit their horrible miscalculation?
i agree....
his drafts in toronto have been brutal.
do we have anybody left that he drafted?

sulfur
06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Frei. And the grass from Edu. And Nene Joseph.

TFC HSV
06-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Julius James was dealt to houston for De-Ro. Though hes no longer here he did help us!

jabbronies
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
It would suck if Cronin was the final piece of the Nick Garcia/Ali Gerba Rights trade from last season.

reggie
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
creds...for frei....but edu was first over all he had to pick him,nene is jus filler,he is gone at the end of the season....maybe frei will get us a roof when he is sold..lol:scarf:

ensco
06-13-2010, 01:30 PM

No. Frei was a unanimous top 5 pick who slipped to Mo at 13 because using international slots on GK is very expensive in MLS.

Mo deserves some kudos for not trading the Edu pick, maybe some more for Altidore, but that's about it.

T_Mizz
06-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Well in the grand scheme of things we missed out on multiple players in that first round that would have filled a need and been very productive for TFC. I don't think Cronin is terrible by any means, but the other guys (Alston, Omar, Pontius, Wallace) have all turned out to be useful MLS players AND would have filled needs on our roster. Instead we picked up an extra DM when we were already committing a large salary chunk to Robo and AG was playing as the AM. Add it to the long list of moves that seem to be done by TFC without much foresight.

Not surprised if this ends up being true. He's looked a lot like trade bait for a while now.
I think that the pick showed mostly foresight, I mean Robo and AG were both old and are actually both gone so having a guy who they believed to be a viable replacement in the middle showed good foresight. In hindsight, though, not so great what with DeGuzman, Sanyang's emergence, Saric, Labrocca, etc. but then again hindsight is always 20/20.

sulfur
06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
No. Frei was a unanimous top 5 pick who slipped to Mo at 13 because using international slots on GK is very expensive in MLS.
He still drafted him. And that was the question that was being answered. Oh, and he counts as an "American" in terms of the MLS slots on US teams.

TFC OZZ
06-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Wow, Cronin is definitely one of my favourite TFC players; I'd really hate to see him leave. He really has not been getting much playing time at all, and I always felt like he not only deserved more, but could play instead of Martin Saric. He's cheaper and younger, and he has more potential I think.

ensco
06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
He still drafted him. And that was the question that was being answered. Oh, and he counts as an "American" in terms of the MLS slots on US teams.

I don't think this is correct. Frei's not American. He's GA. There was a great article somewhere showing that it is amazing that this continued for Frei's second year, even though most comparable players have "graduated" from GA after one year.

sulfur
06-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Yah, he's GA, but he also holds both US and Swiss passports.

twistedchinaman
06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Yah, he's GA, but he also holds both US and Swiss passports.

But nationality wise he's considered as international...yes?

nascarguy
06-13-2010, 03:12 PM
there is nothing on the tfc site about this so it's just all hear say

CretanBull
06-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I think he's considered an international player (even though he would qualify as a domestic player) because he's played for Switzerland internationally and has committed to their program. I'm pretty sure - under the same conditions - if he hadn't played for another national team or declared himself for America he'd be a domestive player in the MLS.

ag futbol
06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I think that the pick showed mostly foresight, I mean Robo and AG were both old and are actually both gone so having a guy who they believed to be a viable replacement in the middle showed good foresight. In hindsight, though, not so great what with DeGuzman, Sanyang's emergence, Saric, Labrocca, etc. but then again hindsight is always 20/20.
But that's just the nature of MLS right ? you're bound to have a few older players on your roster to keep it all together. There really isn't enough roster depth / salary cap room to implement that kind of succession plan.

I'd feel much less solid about not having things like a solid central defender and being under-talented at other such positions as opposed to picking up another DM.

ag futbol
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I think he's considered an international player (even though he would qualify as a domestic player) because he's played for Switzerland internationally and has committed to their program. I'm pretty sure - under the same conditions - if he hadn't played for another national team or declared himself for America he'd be a domestive player in the MLS.
I'd be pretty sure that because he's an american citizen he'd have to be treated equally to other domestic players. Employment laws would make it very difficult to do otherwise.

I think once you get your permanent residency card in the US you get to count as a domestic as well ( not 100% sure on that).

Alonso
06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
His salary was like 35,000 if I remember correctly. Not much cap room being cleared.

I seem to remember his salary being over 100,000?

Could be wrong though...

TFCtoMUFC
06-13-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/september_15_2009_salary_information__alphabetical .pdf

Base salary: 36,000

boban
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/september_15_2009_salary_information__alphabetical .pdf

His salary is about 120,000. Although $40,000 is of the base variety 2010 value.

boban
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I seem to remember his salary being over 100,000?

Could be wrong though...
When combined it's 120,000 but that's last years number.

TFC HSV
06-13-2010, 03:58 PM
has this been confirmed/reported anywhere else yet?

TFCtoMUFC
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
If this is true, Mo needs to go immediately.

Whoop
06-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't if he was gone it was Mo's doing.

Preki never seemed to like Cronin.

reggie
06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
there is a millon reasons why mo should go,but trading cronin,im not losing any sleep over that.

ensco
06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Another problem with the "Mo is a hero for drafting Frei" story, is the fact that Mo traded the pick used to take Frei on the 2009 draft day to NY for Mike Magee, only to have that deal rescinded when NY decided to honor a deal done with LA for a lower draft pick.

Although I'd be the first to acknowledge that it's better to be lucky than smart!

S_D
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd be pretty sure that because he's an american citizen he'd have to be treated equally to other domestic players. Employment laws would make it very difficult to do otherwise.

I think once you get your permanent residency card in the US you get to count as a domestic as well ( not 100% sure on that).

Guevara had his green card so counted as an American.

boban
06-13-2010, 04:11 PM
If this is true, Mo needs to go immediately.
Why? It's better to keep a guy on the bench eating salary in a low cap league when you know he doesn't fit in the coaches plans and hardly sees a minute of playing time?

T_Mizz
But that's just the nature of MLS right ? you're bound to have a few older players on your roster to keep it all together. There really isn't enough roster depth / salary cap room to implement that kind of succession plan.

I'd feel much less solid about not having things like a solid central defender and being under-talented at other such positions as opposed to picking up another DM.
Well that's what the thinking was I'm sure to bring in a young, cheap, american talent to replace them. In the MLS you can't keep bringing in new guys every year, you've got to have some kind of consistency and I think that's what they were trying to establish, again they went on with bringing in players left right and centre anyway so it makes the whole thing futile but the thought was in the right place.

Whoop
^^
Probably because it's his favourite player.

T_Mizz
06-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Although I'd be the first to acknowledge that it's better to be lucky than smart!
That's especially true in the draft.

TFCtoMUFC
06-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Why? It's better to keep a guy on the bench eating salary in a low cap league when you know he doesn't fit in the coaches plans and hardly sees a minute of playing time?

Cronin is/was much better than other options we have. Unless we got someone who can make a very large positive on the squad immediately, we got hosed. This is assuming he was traded.

deacon
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
cronin is going to Earthquakes, probably for draft pick and/or allocation $. This was Preki's call and Mo did the best he could. Wish the kid good luck, and hope he gets a chance to play in his natural position.

T_Mizz
06-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Man I dunno why people are worried, what's going to happen is we're going to make the playoffs this year and do ok, keeping Mo around next year and then we'll win it the next year, in year 5 of Mo's notorious 5 year plan, making almost every single person eat their words in the biggest eating contest north of Coney Island. Call it blind faith but watch it happen.:D

TFC07
06-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Nana is underpaid!

I can't believe how much money some of TFC players are making. :facepalm:

So how many roster spots are open now? I wonder if TFC is going to sign couple of players soon.

DOMIN8R
06-13-2010, 05:16 PM
^^ word is 1 or 2 Eastern Europeans

Whoop
06-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Ornoch is of Polish descent... but I don't think that's what you meant.

Maybe #31 is?

Dirk Diggler
06-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Cronin was my favourite player on TFC last year so I am sad to see that he never figured into Preki's plans. The writing was on the wall long ago ... not surprised to hear that he has been traded to SJ.

boban
06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Cronin is/was much better than other options we have. Unless we got someone who can make a very large positive on the squad immediately, we got hosed. This is assuming he was traded.
Your opinion, and mine for that matter don't matter. What does is Prekis. And for Preki he was of no use and eating cap room.
So what would you do? Crucify Mo for moving a player not used? Or move.
I don't think we get hosed if we move Cronin even for no players. Possibly Mo is making room for a 2nd DP?

T0R0NT0 FC
06-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Cronin is surplus at this time, so let's get another striker or wing that we can use.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll miss Cronin, but you've got to give something up to get something. Pretty clear that Preki rates Sanyang and Saric ahead of him.

CoachGT
06-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Your opinion, and mine for that matter don't matter. What does is Prekis. And for Preki he was of no use and eating cap room.
So what would you do? Crucify Mo for moving a player not used? Or move.
I don't think we get hosed if we move Cronin even for no players. Possibly Mo is making room for a 2nd DP?

Why the assumption that Mo is making the moves????

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-13-2010, 07:28 PM
^ I'm sure Mo and Preki are on the same page in terms of personnel moves. Why would you suggest otherwise?

Roogsy
06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
^ I'm sure Mo and Preki are on the same page in terms of personnel moves. Why would you suggest otherwise?

I don't know about this particular move, but it is true that Mo and Preki have not seen eye to eye on some moves. It is plausible that Mo, who drafted Cronin and always held him in high regard would have second thoughts about trading what is normally considered one of the "proofs" of his ability to draft. Especially for little in return.

Whoop
06-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Maybe TFC is bringing in yet another midfielder.

Beach_Red
06-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't know about this particular move, but it is true that Mo and Preki have not seen eye to eye on some moves. It is plausible that Mo, who drafted Cronin and always held him in high regard would have second thoughts about trading what is normally considered one of the "proofs" of his ability to draft. Especially for little in return.

Since Preki got here (well, let's say since the organization allowed him to start signing players) it looks like he's been makaing the player selections. Sure, usually the conflict between a GM and coach (in the standard North American set-up) who didn't start with the team at the same time is over this kind of player deal, there hasn't seemed to be any conflict with TFC yet. It could all go south, sure, but right now it doesn't look like those kind of issues (the GM keeping players as "proof") are happening.

Broadview
06-13-2010, 07:39 PM

I think Mo is falling for Preki's trap. At some point Predrag is bound to go to the board and point out some redundancies in organizational and payroll structure. All because Mo is letting the new guy run the show. He is quickly becoming the author of his own demise.

It's gotten to the point where I couldn't care less if he stays or goes anymore, he doesn't actually do anything!

Cashcleaner
06-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Why the assumption that Mo is making the moves????

Good question. Because I think this is all to do with Preki remaking the team as he sees fit, not anything of Mo's doing.

sampace
06-13-2010, 08:38 PM
If the speculation is correct, when does this get announced tommorow afternoon after practice, or is the MLS doing a black out until they return to playing?

andyc
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm sure that TFC's publicity machine doesn't work weekends... Expect something by noon tomorrow!

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm sure they'll be in no big hurry. They're probably assuming. we're all focused on the World Cup (quick name the former TFCers in the WC).

Detroit_TFC
06-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Boyens, Guevara, Buddle, Edu

That's all I could think of quickly.

rocker
06-13-2010, 09:42 PM
If this occurred at the end of last season, I'd be pissed... but Cronin has shown just about nothing this year, which suggests he perhaps was overrated last year after having been surrounded by guys like Robbo, Guevara, etc.

DigzTFC!
06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
If he is traded to SJ - look for Mo to get the top allocation order in return. It would be a good trade, no salaries exchanged and you usually a good player out of this. Lots of players will look to return after the world cup . We currently sit third in the order as of now.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/soccer/stories/061310dnspofcdbriefs.1d0f1e6.html

Roogsy
06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
If this occurred at the end of last season, I'd be pissed... but Cronin has shown just about nothing this year, which suggests he perhaps was overrated last year after having been surrounded by guys like Robbo, Guevara, etc.

How many minutes has he played? I would assume for us to want to "see" something, we'd have to at least accept that sufficient minutes would be required to make such a judgement? Cronin has barely played this year. If Preki has made his own judgements based on what he sees in practice, that is one thing, but surely we can agree that fans haven't seen enough this year to make any sort of judgement?

Stryker
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Cronin has shown just about nothing this year, which suggests he perhaps was overrated last year after having been surrounded by guys like Robbo, Guevara, etc.

Yes. Thank you.

bgnewf
06-13-2010, 09:59 PM
4 pages on this, considering ALL we have to go on is that he was not at practice.

next

rocker
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
How many minutes has he played? I would assume for us to want to "see" something, we'd have to at least accept that sufficient minutes would be required to make such a judgement? Cronin has barely played this year. If Preki has made his own judgements based on what he sees in practice, that is one thing, but surely we can agree that fans haven't seen enough this year to make any sort of judgement?

9 games is enough for me.
It's not like he had 5 totally amazing games and 4 bad games or whatever. He's had 9 mostly invisible appearances in MLS + Nutrilite. Dude's gotta step it up or else it'll be a classic sophomore slump. And it's not like he won rookie of the year last year. I think he's probably overrated now.

Troll
06-13-2010, 10:08 PM
4 pages on this, considering ALL we have to go on is that he was not at practice.

next

Can't wait to read your thoughts about this deal in your next blog writing. :facepalm:

Ladies Love Julius James
06-13-2010, 10:08 PM

next

Yup that was it LOL

I could assure you the person who told me this did NOT base it on any practice.

Anyways I'm also intrigued as to when TFC will announce it, with the break, they could do it whenever lol. If they announce it now which media-outlet/casual fan is going to care. They'd want the most publicity I think that they could get out of this no?

Roogsy
06-13-2010, 10:13 PM
4 games started plus 2 subs. 2 fouls committed, 4 fouls suffered. 1 assist. Doesn't sound like stats that should warrant wanting to ship out a cheap player who is serviceable? What is it exactly that you are looking for from a bench player who plays defensive positions?

What 9 games are you talking about?

Big Bruva
06-13-2010, 10:55 PM
If K.C. is the trading partner of choice I'd rather take Kei Kamara he is a fiesty player you hate to play against but definetly would add quality to our roster of Forward Options.

I took the KC Wizard players out to the club after the TFC match and KK LOVES Toronto lol he would come in a minute although he is tight with his team mates. Dont see KC parting with him though tbh.

KC are looking for another winger to help Ryan out.

Blizzard
06-13-2010, 11:00 PM
It's difficult to gauge the merit of this potential roster move until the details of the transaction are confirmed. On the surface it seems like a logical decision considering Cronin has become somewhat redundant with the likes of Labrocca, Sanyang, Peterson, and Saric being utilized as starters to augment JDG in the midfield. If the return is equitable and the trade is a precursor to another roster move that adds a quality striker it will definitely benefit the club moving forward...

Exactly. I'm not sure how this correlates to Mo doing a good or bad job at least until we see what he has done (if anything). Certainly it does appear that Preki doesn't favour Cronin and if that means Sam is moved either for a player or some allocation money that can be used to get us a striker, hey, I'm all for it and if Mo can pull that off, I won't be complaining.

Blizzard
06-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I'll miss Cronin, but you've got to give something up to get something. Pretty clear that Preki rates Sanyang and Saric ahead of him.

They both have what Sam does not have, they are aggressive! If you're one of our opponants and either Saric or Sanyang is anywhere near you, you're thinking about them. With Sam, you don't really have to worry about being flattened. He's not a distraction the way the other two are.

Blizzard
06-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Little in return? Let's wait and see what we get. It may not be that little. We'll see. As with Edu, if we deal a quality draft pick for good money or a good player, that is an endorsement of Mo's drafting ability, nothing else.

I'm sure you're right that Cronin hasn't yet been moved because Mo does like the kid but after a certain point in time, you can't let an asset stagnate on the bench especially when we could certainly use some cap room and/or a striker.

I hope we get some real news soon. I've had enough of the speculation (including my own).

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Just going back a few posts up, I wouldn't be surprised if TFC made a move for Kei Kamara. They tried to trade for him when he was with Huston last year.

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Just going back a few posts up, I wouldn't be surprised if TFC made a move for Kei Kamara. They tried to trade for him when he was with Huston last year.

If Cronin leaves and Kamara comes this could be the first "Trader Mo" sighting in a long while, I don't care what combination of picks and allocation are included in the deal.

ManUtd4ever
06-14-2010, 09:05 AM
According to the article posted in the trialists thread, Canadian attacking midfielder Andrew Ornoch is now officially on trial with TFC after returning from Europe. It seems that Cronin might be the latest roster casualty in order to accomodate Ornoch's signing. I am a Cronin supporter but I think it would be a worthy sacrifice in order to bring in Ornoch...

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 09:09 AM
^ Domestic vs. International. If I'm Mo I start vacuuming up available Canadian talent. We've got company in the market now and we need to save those international spots for players that fill bigger needs or have a lot more talent than Cronin.

drewski
06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
scanned through teh thread and saw nothing. is there any confirmation or is this still a rumour?

FootieChick
06-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I know for a fact that Cronin was traded to the KC Wizards. I had a convo with one of the players, it happened Sat morning. Either way, he didn't know who he was traded for but I'm sure we will soon find out.

Roogsy
06-14-2010, 11:13 AM
If it's true, at least he will be closer to home.

It sucks for him though, he was getting pretty settled in the city.

All the best to Sam.

Alarius
06-14-2010, 11:14 AM
No way in hell that KC would surrender their best scorer... maybe we're getting Sunil Chhetri :rofl:

reggie
06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
i think its going to be a draft pick,probs a 2nd pick and some alo money...

Roogsy
06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
If it's a draft pick...then I stand by my statement. We are giving up a serviceable bench player for very little in return...only to get back probably another bench player that we hope at some point will become serviceable.

My old boss used to use an expression: Don't do something for the sake of doing something. That is what this looks like to me.

Meh...it's just another weight on the scale against Mo. I want him gone anyways, at this point it's just a game of musical chairs until the music finally stops and I hope MLSE ships him out.

What does it say about the GM in charge that has had his roster turned over by 90%?

boban
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
If it's a draft pick...then I stand by my statement. We are giving up a serviceable bench player for very little in return...only to get back probably another bench player that we hope at some point will become serviceable.

My old boss used to use an expression: Don't do something for the sake of doing something. That is what this looks like to me.

Meh...it's just another weight on the scale against Mo. I want him gone anyways, at this point it's just a game of musical chairs until the music finally stops and I hope MLSE ships him out.

What does it say about the GM in charge that has had his roster turned over by 90%?
But how do you know that's all that is happening?
It's coming up to mid season after this break. This also makes more flexibility for other moves. And we don't know what those are.

deacon
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Cronin is going to SJ not KC!

CoachGT
06-14-2010, 11:55 AM

It says that if I'm in the remaining 10%, I keep watch over my shoulder. :leaving:

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 11:58 AM

This looks like a International for Domestic move to me.

Mo knows he has to replace International talent with a comparable Domestic player in every instance so he's not hamstrung once Vancouver and then Montreal start signing Canadian talent.

Wooster_TFC
06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Something has to give in order for us to sign players, we have no available spots. Cronin is really the only one with any trade value that's not in Preki's plans. Everyone else would get next to nothing in an MLS trade.

CoachGT
06-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Something has to give in order for us to sign players, we have no available spots. Cronin is really the only one with any trade value that's not in Preki's plans. Everyone else would get next to nothing in an MLS trade.

They currently have 22 on their roster including Cronin. I thought the roster max was 25?

I'd expect there is more of an issue with the cap than there is in roster spots. If so, I have a hard time believing that Cronin's salary would open up that much for anything of value. I really hope that opening up Cronin's spot isn't to save money for DP2.

I'm hoping it has more to do with domestic v US spots, but with two new Canadian entries in the league over the next two years, either the Canadian content rules have to change sometime soon or there are going to be a bunch of weaker Canadian teams than their US counterparts.

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping it has more to do with domestic v US spots, but with two new Canadian entries in the league over the next two years, either the Canadian content rules have to change sometime soon or there are going to be a bunch of weaker Canadian teams than their US counterparts.

I think the domestic rule should be broken down for Canadian teams, with x many players that need to be Canadian, and y that need to be from any country that has an MLS franchise.

TFC07
06-14-2010, 01:52 PM
You guys are making this a big of issue then it should be. Whitecaps and Impact should be fine. I believe Whitecaps has tons of Canadians players on loan playing in Germany. Next year, I except them to be on Whitecaps team.

Point is: it wouldn't as bad it was when TFC entered the league since Whitecaps and Impact already has a team (and academy) while TFC didn't when they join MLS.

Red CB Toronto
06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
From the way I understand it, the roster can have a max of 26 players. Spots 1-20 count against the cap, then you can have 4 players making the league min. salary, which is 40,000 this year who do not count against the cap.

Spots 25-26 is where it gets interesting as they are reserved for academy/home grown players, which would be paid 31,000.

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
You guys are making this a big of issue then it should be. Whitecaps and Impact should be fine. I believe Whitecaps has tons of Canadians players on loan playing in Germany. Next year, I except them to be on Whitecaps team.

Point is: it wouldn't as bad it was when TFC entered the league since Whitecaps and Impact already has a team (and academy) while TFC didn't when they join MLS.

You're assuming that Whitecaps and Impact will be able to compete with the rosters that they have right now. Further, you're assuming that those rosters are mostly Canadian. Nine out of the 22 players on the Impact roster are Canadian, and 2 were in the starting 11 that lost 2-0 to us in the NCC.

Twelve out of 29 players on the Whitecaps roster are Canadian, and three are goalkeepers. Two were in the starting 11 for their first game against us in the NCC.

That's a terrible indication of the Canadian talent on two sides that we beat with our reserves.

TFC07
06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
You're assuming that Whitecaps and Impact will be able to compete with the rosters that they have right now. Further, you're assuming that those rosters are mostly Canadian. Nine out of the 22 players on the Impact roster are Canadian, and 2 were in the starting 11 that lost 2-0 to us in the NCC.

Twelve out of 29 players on the Whitecaps roster, and three are goalkeepers. Two were in the starting 11 for their first game against us in the NCC.

That's a terrible indication of the Canadian talent on two sides that we beat with our reserves.

I except Vancouver fill some of their Canadian slots with their youth players who are currently playing in Germany from their team and couple of their younger Canadian players who are on their senior roster.

Also, you have to factor in Canadians in Europe who are free agency and Canadians in MLS who might be available from expansion draft. Of course MLS draft where they might pick up some Canadian players. So there’s opportunity for them to fill their roster even more.

I am sure Vancouver is well aware about all this and probably won't have trouble (or at least not bad as TFC) filling their roster.

ginkster88
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I except Vancouver fill some of their Canadian slots with their youth players who are currently playing in Germany from their team and couple of their younger Canadian players who are on their senior roster.

Also, you have to factor in Canadians in Europe who are free agency and Canadians in MLS who might be available from expansion draft. Of course MLS draft where they might pick up some Canadian players. So there’s opportunity for them to fill their roster even more.

I am sure Vancouver is well aware about all this and probably won't have trouble (or at least not bad as TFC) filling their roster.

Now you're forgetting about MLS and talent allocation. Vancouver doesn't "own" those players in Germany once they've joined MLS, unless the league makes major changes to rules regarding academies and buying foreign players. MLS decides where they go in the league through the allocation process (remember how we held Chicago over a barrel to get Barrett?)This goes for free agent Canadians in Europe as well.

I'm sure they're well aware of it, and I'm sure Mo is as well. That's why he shipped Cronin to sign Ordnach or whatever his name is.

TFC07
06-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Now you're forgetting about MLS and talent allocation. Vancouver doesn't "own" those players in Germany once they've joined MLS, unless the league makes major changes to rules regarding academies and buying foreign players. MLS decides where they go in the league through the allocation process (remember how we held Chicago over a barrel to get Barrett?)This goes for free agent Canadians in Europe as well.

I'm sure they're well aware of it, and I'm sure Mo is as well. That's why he shipped Cronin to sign Ordnach or whatever his name is.

Since when Canadians have to go through allocation process?

Yes MLS owns contracts, but they give teams freedom to choose whatever players they want on their team. MLS wouldn't force Vancouver to give up their players.

Azerban
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Since when Canadians have to go through allocation process?

yeah, it's only american national team players, that's it

cementhead
06-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I know for a fact that Cronin was traded to the KC Wizards. I had a convo with one of the players, it happened Sat morning. Either way, he didn't know who he was traded for but I'm sure we will soon find out.No Cronin went to San Jose that is what the player told us.

Wooster_TFC
06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
They currently have 22 on their roster including Cronin. I thought the roster max was 25?

I'd expect there is more of an issue with the cap than there is in roster spots. If so, I have a hard time believing that Cronin's salary would open up that much for anything of value. I really hope that opening up Cronin's spot isn't to save money for DP2.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

Max is 26, 2 of which are homegrown spots (academy players), 4 of which are "dev" spots (don't count against cap, make league min).

We currently have our 20 "full" spots filled, 3 of our 4 "dev" spots, and 0 of our 2 homegrown spots.

Unless you expect TFC to sign a new striker or winger as a "dev" spot, something had to give. Moving an expendable player that was not in the coach's plans was the way to go.

Cronin's a hard worker who never complained, so he gets props for that. I wish him well, but if a trade for a pick or allocation occurs, that can only mean one thing: new blood. I am all for trading away from a position of depth (CM) to pick up a player at a position with a lack of depth (winger/striker, arguably fullback).

Gixmo
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
No Cronin went to San Jose that is what the player told us (http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237).

I know for a fact that Cronin was traded to the KC Wizards. I had a convo with one of the players, it happened Sat morning. Either way, he didn't know who he was traded for but I'm sure we will soon find out.

So, Which is it?

bgnewf
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
This could also be a prelude to other moves, if of course it happens. I speculated previously that DeRo could be offered a DP contract to free up some additional monies to sign other players. A Cronin move could in concert with a DeRo DP contract,(if we get some significant allocation or cap dollars from whomever we trade Cronin to) make the process of addition by subtraction to the roster that much easier.

The discussion here is definitely interesting, but I am a bit of a skeptic about rumours like this. I will believe it when I see the news release from the club.

jloome
06-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I speculated previously that DeRo could be offered a DP contract to free up some additional monies to sign other players.

And about 50 people speculated it before you, several months ago. I believe Shaugno was one of the early ones on that. Credit where due, dude.

English Rachel
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
ugh. that's all I have to say on the matter.

I loved Sam Cronin

TFCRegina
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Or we need to start developing more talent. I thought Henry looked good and might be servicable as a bench player after the end of this season. We need to start planning for the inevitable day that Canadian talent is at a premium.

Copping out and changing the content rule does nothing for the game in Canada and it does nothing for the academy program.

We're gonna have to suck it up for a couple years if we don't prepare for this. One of the Canadian teams might be strong with two weak ones, or all three will be distinctly average.

I'm in favour of us snapping up the talent available right now so we're that strong team and have a grace period to build up our academy.

Fuck the Whitecaps and impact, let them be the weak teams in the league.

CoachGT
06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
So, Which is it?

I hear San Jose

ricciboy
06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
NOT Cronin !!!!!! :(

CoachGT
06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Copping out and changing the content rule does nothing for the game in Canada and it does nothing for the academy program.

Regardless of that, you need to read some of the coaching development mags that are produced in the US. According to US Soccer, the primary purpose of MLS is to develop US players. This is often stated in stateside coaching magazines. While changing the Canadian content rule won't change much for the academy program, it will allow more US players into MLS. Unfortunately, with a bigger pool of potential players to draw from, it will be easier to find reasonable MLS quality players from the US than it will be from Canada, and certainly at a lower cost than internationals.

And it will keep the Canadian teams relatively competitive and not inflate the cost of Canadian talent.

Now, back to topic - I am still sorry to see Cronin go, and wish him the best in his new opportunity - he wouldn't get much more playing time here anyway.

bgnewf
06-14-2010, 07:46 PM
And about 50 people speculated it before you, several months ago. I believe Shaugno was one of the early ones on that. Credit where due, dude.

point given. Never intended to usurp anyone

TFCRegina
06-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Regardless of that, you need to read some of the coaching development mags that are produced in the US. According to US Soccer, the primary purpose of MLS is to develop US players. This is often stated in stateside coaching magazines. While changing the Canadian content rule won't change much for the academy program, it will allow more US players into MLS. Unfortunately, with a bigger pool of potential players to draw from, it will be easier to find reasonable MLS quality players from the US than it will be from Canada, and certainly at a lower cost than internationals.

And it will keep the Canadian teams relatively competitive and not inflate the cost of Canadian talent.

Now, back to topic - I am still sorry to see Cronin go, and wish him the best in his new opportunity - he wouldn't get much more playing time here anyway.

I know Coach. Americans who hate TFC and the other Canadian clubs point it out often.

But the fact is, the league has changed from 1996.

I'd rather we snap up the Canadian talent we can now, and put more into development. Let the Whitecaps and the Impact struggle to find Canadians.

J .
06-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I prefer KC so we hopefully get Teal Bunbury, that would be super cool. SJ, I dont know who I would want, hopefully a winger I suppose.

BigPoppy
06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Heys guys, if we signed Dero as a DP does 400k of his salary count against the cap? and if Dero salary right now is 400k how would that help us. Im not to sure on the figures so correct me if im wrong, just a little confused on how this whole DP things works.

boban
06-14-2010, 10:37 PM
This could also be a prelude to other moves, if of course it happens. I speculated previously that DeRo could be offered a DP contract to free up some additional monies to sign other players. A Cronin move could in concert with a DeRo DP contract,(if we get some significant allocation or cap dollars from whomever we trade Cronin to) make the process of addition by subtraction to the roster that much easier.

The discussion here is definitely interesting, but I am a bit of a skeptic about rumours like this. I will believe it when I see the news release from the club.
You got to get off that one track thought you have on how to make room for a TFC DP.
With this move, coupled with allocation money plus cap space could actually be the perfect recipe for getting a legitimate DP player in TFC uniform without catering to DeRo's winy ass.
Did that thought ever cross your mind?!

ag futbol
06-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Come on Poppy, MLS salary rules are straight forward, as you can see from the below diagram:

http://www.arcdb.ws/SP11/ARC_SP11_schematic3.gif

Dero being a half season DP will only cost us 200k against the cap, unless the rules changed when they brought in the 2nd and 3rd dp rule effectively making it some other arbitrary amount.

Quit asking such basic questions, jesus:)

boban
06-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Heys guys, if we signed Dero as a DP does 400k of his salary count against the cap? and if Dero salary right now is 400k how would that help us. Im not to sure on the figures so correct me if im wrong, just a little confused on how this whole DP things works.
He's at 375,000. Let him honour his contract. Better to get a real DP (Cronin move could be prelude to this) than catering to already signed players.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Recent Sun article seems to leaning towards the SJ side of the debate, no details however:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/06/14/14391456.html

CretanBull
06-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I got a little bit of news on this, although it's dated from a few days ago....apparently we're not looking for anyone in return, just some combination of allocation money and draft picks - and there's a few teams interested. It looks like we're trying to clear some cap space for a summer signing.

T_Mizz
06-14-2010, 11:42 PM
He's at 375,000. Let him honour his contract. Better to get a real DP (Cronin move could be prelude to this) than catering to already signed players.
If I'm not mistaken, if he were to become the second dp he'd cost about 50,000 less so by paying him more we could get hit less. It makes sense, I don't like it because I too think that it should be used on someone making over a million not someone making 25k over the limit but it does make sense.

PS on your previous post, I'd have refrain from using the phrase "did that ever cross your mind?!" I've never heard it said without escalation. Just saying.

Luca
06-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Bring on Del Piero.

(one can dream!)

TFCtoMUFC
06-15-2010, 06:35 AM
I got a little bit of news on this, although it's dated from a few days ago....apparently we're not looking for anyone in return, just some combination of allocation money and draft picks - and there's a few teams interested. It looks like we're trying to clear some cap space for a summer signing.

Not directed at you, but more an out loud question (and you brought up the purpose of the trade). We have Barrett, Garcia, Peterson and Hscanovics all making WAY too much money. Cronin is better than those 4 players and when you take money in to account he is great. Why him? If we aren't planning on signing a striker than Chad Barrett can't leave but Peterson, Garcia or Hscanovics would make the most sense when you consider what they contribute and what they earn.

CretanBull
06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Not directed at you, but more an out loud question (and you brought up the purpose of the trade). We have Barrett, Garcia, Peterson and Hscanovics all making WAY too much money. Cronin is better than those 4 players and when you take money in to account he is great. Why him? If we aren't planning on signing a striker than Chad Barrett can't leave but Peterson, Garcia or Hscanovics would make the most sense when you consider what they contribute and what they earn.

Barrett has played really well for us, there's no need to trade him. Peterson has played well too (and he's still recovering from injury). No one would want Garcia or Hscanovics.

CretanBull
06-15-2010, 07:21 AM
This is the e-mail that I got from my source:

Hey,
I heard that Cronin was traded to KC. Do you know if this is true and if so who is coming our way?

---

I hadn't heard KC. I was told Philly and San Jose were making offers but that was a couple of days ago. Toronto doesn't want anyone in return, they're shopping for allocation money or draft picks. Looks like they're moving salary to make room for a summer signing. A new DP or other big salary seems likely.

ginkster88
06-15-2010, 07:38 AM
We have Barrett, Garcia, Peterson and Hscanovics all making WAY too much money.

Barrett, Peterson > Cronin, SJ is paying most of Garcia's tab and Hscanovics fills a position of need.

They're also not the most tradable assets; I think the big play is for allocation money here.

This had better be for a big name striker to come in later, and that contract better be agreed to in principle. I really hope we're not just giving Dero a raise.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-15-2010, 08:36 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/06/14/14391456.html

Hitcho
06-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Barrett has played really well for us, there's no need to trade him. Peterson has played well too (and he's still recovering from injury). No one would want Garcia or Hscanovics.

This. Plus Peterson and Hscanovics have only just been signed and Preki is not likely to bring someone in and then ship them out again a few weeks later, for a whole bunch of reasons.

Bummer about Sammy though, he is exactly the kind of player I thought Preki would keep - excellent work rate, good all round skill set, versatile, young, cheap and judging from what we saw of him after the end of season farce last year, a leader in waiting who's willing to fight for the shirt. Bets of luck if he does go, but will be sorry to see him leave.

DichioTFC
06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Unfortunate about Sam, hope the signing we get in return will make up for it (did anyone say Dickov! :facepalm:)

Btw, SJ fans have caught wind of the Cronin rumour and are pretty happy about it

Mikey
06-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Unfortunate about Sam, hope the signing we get in return will make up for it (did anyone say Dickov! :facepalm:)

Btw, SJ fans have caught wind of the Cronin rumour and are pretty happy about it

Dickov has taken a managers position in the UK. I'm guessing we need the money to give Garcia a pay raise....:p

GhostKiller
06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Bring on Del Piero.

(one can dream!)

:flare::flare::flare:

Also is it possible that TFC is trying to bog down either SJ or KC with an expensive Cronin so when Kenny Cooper comes back to MLS we have a shot at him. Both KC and SJ would have a crack at him first through MLS allocation rules.

bgnewf
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/06/sam_cronin/

My take on the Cronin situation, and why San Jose makes the most sense if a deal actually happens.

Comments always welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
we dont even know whos going to replace him yet, bit early to say theyve got the better hand

Roogsy
06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
It's confirmed. Cronin is going to San Jose.

I am disappointed to be honest.

ManUtd4ever
06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
As others have suggested, the logical return for Cronin should be a 1st round pick plus much needed allocation. Andrew Ornoch seems like a distinct possibility as Cronin's replacement in the midfield now that he's on trial. As for a 2nd DP, this move in of itself is probably insufficient in terms of creating the necessary cap space...

reggie
06-15-2010, 12:18 PM

what did we get back??

Stryker
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
So what would be fair compensation allocation wise? A hundred and thirty thousand?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
prob money/picks (most likely money is what we want)
Whatever he was good but im not torn up about it, especially if Preki thinks he can do better

reggie
06-15-2010, 12:36 PM
im hoping for more alo money then picks, we just trade our picks anyway.
if we sign ornoch,im happy with that trade off

ecospice
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I am sad to see him go - he liked playing here and made off the field contributions.

However, I am happy for him because he will now get to play real minutes and make something of himself. It never would have happened here - he was too far down TFC's depth chart and would never get serious time. Reason: the team cannot have two 'short' centre midfielders (there was no way he was going to oust JDG for a starting role); and, Peterson and LaBrocca are better options out wide. Peterson should be about match fit come the end of the World Cup break, so hopefully we will see more of what he really brings to the table.

Thanks for the hard work, Sammy. Best of luck.

Oldtimer
06-15-2010, 12:44 PM
If we pick up Ornoch, I'll be happy. An old Erin Mills S.C. alumnus.

billyfly
06-15-2010, 12:50 PM

In defence of Footie Chick at the time that she made her post, maybe Cronin was going to KC or at least the negotiation was with the Wizards. Things must have changed however and Sam ended up in SJ.

Gixmo
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
In defence of Footie Chick at the time that she made her post, maybe Cronin was going to KC or at least the negotiation was with the Wizards. Things must have changed however and Sam ended up in SJ.

From the follow-up posting, It leads me to believe both parties were standing there.. I'm assuming it's a case of I heard one thing, what was said is another. Either way, moot point

Bye Bye Sam! (.. And yes, I'm hearing 100% confirm to SJ, nothing in return but cash+Picks)

Darlofletch
06-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Hopefully there'll be something good happening in the near future to make this worth it.

Good luck to Sam in San Jose, hope it works out for him.
I spoke with him at the kick off gala and he seemed quite amused to hear anti mo/mlse sentiments, and certainly not in a hurry to refute them, so maybe he knew the writing was on the wall.

sidvan
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
cash as in the rest of Garcia's salary?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
no they are paying for it already,
they will give us more money for someone else

jloome
06-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Not the end of the world, but a bit disappointing. My take:
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Sayonara_Sammy_We_Hardly_Knew_Ye_june_15_10_column .shtml

DichioTFC
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
If we pick up Ornoch, I'll be happy. An old Erin Mills S.C. alumnus.

EMSC!!! Oh man, does that bring back memories!! The bulk of my participation trophies are from EMSC growing up :D

DichioTFC
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hope Sam does well, such is the nature is professional sports.

I'm hoping we get a 2nd round pick out of the deal. Not too sure what we need in terms of allocation money but a good 2nd rounder would be an adequate trade-off

H Bomb
06-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Now who will I fight crime with?

You will be missed Sam Cronin.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=2396

Blizzard
06-15-2010, 06:30 PM
no they are paying for it already,
they will give us more money for someone else

+1

That's my take on it exactly.

CretanBull
06-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Now who will I fight crime with?

You will be missed Sam Cronin.

Brummies fighting crime? Now I've heard it all! :D

Stryker
06-15-2010, 07:41 PM
I just hope we didn't trade Cronin for money to just sign Ornoch. Very disappointing if this turned out to be the case.

Blizzard
06-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I just hope we didn't trade Cronin for money to just sign Ornoch. Very disappointing if this turned out to be the case.

I think the Ornoch / Cronin timing is 100% coincidental. I honestly believe that Cronin will fetch us much more than what we need to sign Ornoch.

Broadview
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey, thanks for the juicy dirt JJ.

Luca
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Ornoch is also an Epiphany Soccer League alumnus. :cool:

ag futbol
06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm not expecting that much.

Probably puts us in a position to sign someone like Ornoch (who i like as a player btw) but i think expectations are a little bit high here.

Best of luck to Cronin, think he's going to be a pretty solid pro.

Damien
06-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I liked Cronin... honestly!

But this year in the few appearances I saw him he was starting to show 2nd year form a lil like Marvel Wynne... not quite as impressive. Could have been a case of not fitting Preki's system or simply not getting the playing time. But he wasnt quite as flashy as last year.

TFCUNITED
06-15-2010, 10:06 PM
I really liked Cronin, sad to see him go. :(

twistedchinaman
06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Cronin was a good kid -- solid, but it's a shame...he's gotta go. :(

Inklink
06-16-2010, 12:08 AM
That sucks :( . Cronin is one of my favourite players. Always professional and and put in an honest shift. Good luck in SJ!

ricciboy
06-16-2010, 12:10 AM
this is bs im sorry i'm really mad he is going this is just not fair :(

Mark in Ottawa
06-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Hey... Good Luck to Sam in the rest of his career.
He was always a good team player on and off the field and I wish him the very best.

Oldtimer
06-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Finally, confirmation from TFC:

Midfielder Sam Cronin is not with the team as talks are currently underway regarding a potential trade.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/lukewilemanreports

Garzilla
06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes its true..Dwayne de Guzman!!!!

TFC_PB
06-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Good Luck, Sam! Toronto will miss you!

Auzzy
06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Finally, confirmation from TFC:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/lukewilemanreports

Yup, that was published on the TFC website yesterday, Tuesday, at 11:38am.

Standup105
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
For a team with a 5 year building plan, our trend of getting rid of our highest draft picks after 1 season for next to nothing seems a little counterproductive. I know we got $5 million for Edu, but I don't think we got much for Julius James (not that he was worth much), it doesn't look like we'll get much for Sam Cronin and (obviously not his fault) we didn't get a game out of Zac Herold. Without digging too deep, it seems like Stephan Frei is our only draft pick currently on the roster...

Boris
06-16-2010, 01:53 PM
but I don't think we got much for Julius James (not that he was worth much), it.

very true...
we just got this unknown mls player called dwayne derosario ......

Boris
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
we didn't get a game out of Zac Herold. .

for obvious reasons.......

Roogsy
06-16-2010, 01:58 PM
de...ro...sario?

who dat?

sidvan
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
For a team with a 5 year building plan, our trend of getting rid of our highest draft picks after 1 season for next to nothing seems a little counterproductive. I know we got $5 million for Edu, but I don't think we got much for Julius James (not that he was worth much), it doesn't look like we'll get much for Sam Cronin and (obviously not his fault) we didn't get a game out of Zac Herold. Without digging too deep, it seems like Stephan Frei is our only draft pick currently on the roster...
O'brien White?

Boris
de...ro...sario?

who dat?

i dunno some dude from toronto apparently...can someone google that guy?

Jeffro
very true...
we just got this unknown mls player called dwayne derosario ......

what a shit move! lol

H Bomb
06-16-2010, 02:01 PM
So its confirmed that hes gone but no deal has been made? We are bush league. Am embarrassment. I think mo has finally reached the list of people whos face I must spit at. Why would any player ever want to come here looking at our track record of treating them like garbage. I say it again, tfc is bush league.

backbeat
06-16-2010, 02:05 PM
So its confirmed that hes gone but no deal has been made? We are bush league. Am embarrassment. I think mo has finally reached the list of people whos face I must spit at. Why would any player ever want to come here looking at our track record of treating them like garbage. I say it again, tfc is bush league.

you don't know that - we haven't even heard yet - a tad pre-mature i think

H Bomb
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
you don't know that - we haven't even heard yet - a tad pre-mature i think

They were before this. This would just be another notch on the belt

backbeat
06-16-2010, 02:15 PM
They were before this. This would just be another notch on the belt

what were? Mo's trade of former picks?

we got DeRo for James
Grass/$5 million for EDU
Zak Herold retired for health reasons..
and Cronin for ? (we don't know yet)

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2010, 02:18 PM
incredibly premature here guys, once again, Preki is making the roster moves and so far there has been progress abound in all of his moves, why would this be any different?

Last time i say that then people can go on mourning Cronin, all hes done for us and how the team will be in shambles without him. I dont believe it.

Sad to see him go, sure he was a lovely guy and worked hard. Will we lose out on it? Too soon to say. Especially as we seem to be succeeding under Preki's guidance.

(for the record i like the guy but this isnt as big a potential loss as people are making it out to be)

Section 117
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Cronin to San Jose for cash

H Bomb
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Mos treatment of football players since the beginning. Creating a culture of treating everyone not called dichio like crap. Coaches too. We're a laughing stock.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2010, 02:24 PM

any word on how much?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Mos treatment of football players since the beginning. Creating a culture of treating everyone not called dichio like crap. Coaches too. We're a laughing stock.

hows he being treated like crap?
What have you heard that we havent?

Blizzard
06-16-2010, 02:27 PM
any word on how much?

More than many would expect!

reggie
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
no draft pick...better be a good chunk of alo money,at least $250k

Roogsy
06-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Mos treatment of football players since the beginning. Creating a culture of treating everyone including dichio like crap. Coaches too. We're a laughing stock.

Fixed.

H Bomb
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Good point actually...man o man...

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
i still dont understand how Cronin is being treated like crap if hes not needed or wanted by our current Coach...

Darlofletch
06-16-2010, 03:16 PM
something to do with the fact that this was out there for days before any sort of official confirmation came from the club. Which is always the way it happens.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
im not entirely sure thats being treated like shit.
I do agree its happened in the past, i dont like mo or his M/o but im not convinced that this constitutes as such. I do agree the PR is a bit crap however i dont blame them for announcing it after ish has been signed.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Ornoch is also an Epiphany Soccer League alumnus. :cool:

Cheesy McDonald's-themed, red-and-gold uniforms REPRESENT!

I remember my U-14 side, and being the only guy on the team whose last name ended in a consonant.

As for Cronin -- while this thread seems to have forgotten, his game seems to have fallen off this year. Maybe it's just a matter of lacking playing time, or maybe -- like Ricketts -- his game is easy enough to read that his effectiveness diminishes with exposure.

Auzzy
06-16-2010, 03:25 PM
You can't make an official announcement until a deal is complete, which means both clubs have to agree, plus the league. Who knows, maybe Sam even needs an international transfer certificate (whatever they are called?) to go back to a US team. In any case, Luke Wileman confirmed yesterday morning on the team website that a deal is in the works for Sam. In the meantime, they're not making him train until things are settled. Not sure what else we are expecting, a jersey on the Wall of Honour at the same time the trade is announced? ;) (Just having some fun there, ignore that sarcasm.)

I'm sure it's not a great feeling for Sam that he's not needed by Preki anymore, but probably a good feeling if someone else wants him (for a good chunk of cash?) & he will hopefully get more playing time again. I dunno, but I doubt this is any different from how most MLS teams would handle it. Just that most places may not be quite as hyper about unconfirmed deals in the works. There have surely been some TFC players that haven't been treated great, but I see no evidence of that here. And the trading & deal-making is a part of life in MLS (and in all soccer leagues, in some form).

Section 117
06-16-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't know how much I am digging but no one seems to either know or devulge the info

Jeff s
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I must be the only one happy with this move.

ginkster88
06-16-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not going to blame the team for not releasing information that is unconfirmed. If there's a deal in place that hasn't been finalized, you can't say anything about that.

Just because some staffer or player or "someone close to the team" chose to divulge this information to a friend who then chose to post it in a public forum doesn't mean TFC immediately need to follow-up with an official announcement of something that hasn't happened.

If and when the deal is finalized, that's when TFC will make the official announcement.

ginkster88
06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I must be the only one happy with this move.

I don't mind it one bit. Every move so far this season has been positive.

Blizzard
06-16-2010, 03:51 PM
incredibly premature here guys, once again, Preki is making the roster moves and so far there has been progress abound in all of his moves, why would this be any different?

Last time i say that then people can go on mourning Cronin, all hes done for us and how the team will be in shambles without him. I dont believe it.

Sad to see him go, sure he was a lovely guy and worked hard. Will we lose out on it? Too soon to say. Especially as we seem to be succeeding under Preki's guidance.

(for the record i like the guy but this isnt as big a potential loss as people are making it out to be)

Preki has his ideas of who he wants and who he doesn't want but in fairness, Johnston is still the guy who has to engineer these moves.

Yes, it is sad to see Sam go but you have to give to get as they say.

rocker
06-16-2010, 03:54 PM
every team has players that don't fit the team but fit elsewhere. that's the point of many trades (not to "steal" from the other team). there's no shame in not fitting in, and surely Sam Cronin will find a place elsewhere. He fit into Chris Cummins' team, but not Preki's.

seankeay
06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
This is just a complete guess, but the reason nothing has been announced formally.. and the reason TFC made the hint on the blog was because the deal is actually done but cant happen until the world cup window is lifted.

But I do still hate the idea of dropping a 2nd overall pick, whom we took ahead of Omar Gonzalez for cash.

rocker
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
But I do still hate the idea of dropping a 2nd overall pick, whom we took ahead of Omar Gonzalez for cash.

well, it depends on what is done with the cash. if they get allocation that allows them to bring in a better player, it's a win.

but these things are so hard to trace (how did X lead to Y which led to Z) that it's hard to assess such moves.

seankeay
06-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I get that Cronin is gone, and I have no problem losing him he was surplus but it really irks me that the staff can get away with this blatant mistakes over and over again.

Especially with the track record of Preki and Mo's moves, it really doesnt bode well for a talented kid to come in and do well.

Usanov, Gargan, Lebrocca, Hscanvoic... all guys that Preki went after and got are serviceable players but not really something to brag about.

Preki is a good coach and works a good system, but we still need strong skilled players and this is where he failed at Chivas as well. Got to the level of being good but then couldnt make the championship team.

Cann landed in our laps, hes been the only signing from the off season who has really made this team improve a lot.

I just want people to be accountable, or for someone in the staff to email me and say hey sean, you are smarter then us.

H Bomb
06-16-2010, 04:15 PM
If it helps, hey sean, youre way smarter than them. Everything you just wrote is the best thing in this thread.

ag futbol
06-16-2010, 04:24 PM
If you believe the poster here that's not even possible ... they're at the roster limit also...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461976