PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday, June,09

denime
06-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Mornin'

Academy Wednesday In St. Catherines (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/06/academy-wednesday-st-catherines)

MLS still looking to break through (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/06/08/14315216.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Sandor's article rings true but let's review

-Media attention does not go beyond a local team's news to MLS
-There is another successful addition to MLS every year.

So, while league-wide news doesn't spread beyond a select few fans that care about the league it grows regardless and fans learn news and players match by match, week after week.

Sandor isn't saying that league exposure isn't growing(I hope). He's saying it's not growing as fast as any of us would like.

Sidenote: I've never really had a use for Sports Review shows. I guess I don't like seeing other teams score.:noidea:

Workie
06-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Sidenote: I've never really had a use for Sports Review shows. I guess I don't like seeing other teams score.:noidea:

Does it feel like being swooped? :rolleyes:

I like catching MLS weekly and watch any other games when they are on TV.

But I would like more exposure for other teams too.

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2010, 06:44 AM
^Well played, sir.

I'll say that I like features on different players to learn more about the league(Especially if there's a Canadian link somewhere).

spark
06-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Everybody wants to know ...

TFC PLAYERS' PICKS FOR THE WORLD CUP!! (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Argentina_Brazil_and_Spain_the_Consensus_World_Cup _Favourites_Among_Toronto_FC_Players_june_9_10_art icle.shtml)

JonO
06-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Midfielder Gabe Gala concurred with his Latvian and Russian born teammates in believing that the location of the tournament definitely favours those countries accustomed to a warm climate.
Someone should remind these guys that it is winter in South Africa. While it certainly doesn't get as cold as Canada, it's not what I would consider warm - especially for the night games.

Oldtimer
06-09-2010, 07:29 AM
CBC doing full coverage of the WC:

People watching games live on the Internet can view the action on four feeds. Besides the main play-by-play, one feed will follow the match from one of the end zones.
There also will be two feeds that isolate on one player from each team. Pilling said that feed will switch to a different player after 30 minutes.
"That type of coverage has never been . . . in the Canadian coverage of the World Cup before,'' said Pilling.

Rogers customers can watch the games on their smartphones.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entertainment/breakingnews/cbc-plans-full-world-cup-coverage-both-on-the-screen-and-through-the-web-95889289.html

Roogsy
06-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Someone should remind these guys that it is winter in South Africa. While it certainly doesn't get as cold as Canada, it's not what I would consider warm - especially for the night games.

I'll have to pipe in here and simply remind everyone that professional athletes don't tend to be the smartest or most educated people among us. In my dealings with athletes, I have found it necessary to overlook a substantial amount of ignorance in many areas.

On a related note, Basketball players tend to be the most educated and informed. I found it interesting.

scooter
06-09-2010, 08:18 AM
mornin d

world cup = 2 more sleeps

cincy
06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Do I see two sets of lips on pic 2 of the SSG ??

ManUtd4ever
06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Regarding MLS coverage in the local television media, I agree with Sandor's article. I find that TFC coverage has increased exponentially since the inception of the franchise but MLS content is only available on specialty channels such as GolTV and Fox Sports World.

If mainstream networks such as Sportsnet, TSN, and The Score would include league wide content in their highlight features I think the added exposure would act as a catalyst in promoting the recognition of MLS as a legitimate quality football product...

Fort York Redcoat
06-09-2010, 08:48 AM
If mainstream networks such as Sportsnet, TSN, and The Score would include league wide content in their highlight features I think the added exposure would act as a catalyst in promoting the recognition of MLS as a legitimate quality football product...

When comparing viewership numbers it makes sense why the networks do not include MLS in their line ups but I'm hoping, at least in Canada, we will see the beginning of the change of that with more than one team here.

scooter
06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
yes coverage is way better
we are getting stronger as a group # wise maybe every time there is a game on call all your freinds and family and even if they are not home put the game on to boost the ratings
totally agree when 2 more teams in the league we should get even more tv coverage

carts is the ratings guy -- would that help?

bgnewf
06-09-2010, 09:03 AM
The Montreal and Vancouver franchises, and hopefully success on the level of TFC, will make ignoring the sport and the league almost impossible for the sports media.

But we have to walk before we can run.

Redcoe15
06-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Regarding MLS coverage in the local television media, I agree with Sandor's article. I find that TFC coverage has increased exponentially since the inception of the franchise but MLS content is only available on specialty channels such as GolTV and Fox Sports World.

Toronto FC's television numbers are small enough as it is. Imagine how much smaller those numbers would look for an MLS match between two American teams. It's a business decision on the part of these all sports networks not to show MLS matches that don't concern TFC.

ManUtd4ever
06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Toronto FC's television numbers are small enough as it is. Imagine how much smaller those numbers would look for an MLS match between two American teams. It's a business decision on the part of these all sports networks not to show MLS matches that don't concern TFC.

No argument there, I was only refering to providing highlights of MLS matches within the mainstream local television networks...

keem-o-sabi
06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/06/04/world-cup-2010-group-play-sexy-superfan-edition/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/06/09/miss-coed-brittney-jordan/)

DichioTFC
06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Pretty good article on MLS main site about TFC's African contingent (Attakora, Gala, Sanyang, Gomez, Ibby) and their views on the World Cup.

Under African Skies: TFC contingent will pull for all of Africa

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/under-african-skies-tfc-contingent-will-pull-all-africa

DichioTFC
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM

It would be nice to have a weekly magazine show led by TFC by highlighting all MLS games on mainstream outlets. TFC game, interviews, standings, MLS week recap, TFC player highlight.... its something that could fit in a half hour package.

rocker
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
hey, has anything been reported on what TFC players will be doing during this break? do they get a week or two off? is Preki off in Bahamas or something? haha

Sonny Cheeba
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Do I see two sets of lips on pic 2 of the SSG ??

no probably not.... that's a tucked-back penis if i've ever seen one.

WOOF! In Soviet Russia, ladies poke you.

jloome
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I'll have to pipe in here and simply remind everyone that professional athletes don't tend to be the smartest or most educated people among us. In my dealings with athletes, I have found it necessary to overlook a substantial amount of ignorance in many areas.

On a related note, Basketball players tend to be the most educated and informed. I found it interesting.

I've interviewed dozens of athletes over the years and you get all types, same as any other job. Steve Nash is a genius. Really. Randy Gregg got his medical degree. Dean McAmmond was thicker than concrete (and so have most I've interviewed. They've been focussed on one thing since age 5.)

Whoop
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
From what I found it all comes down to parenting and the emphasis they put on education.

I've met some guys who would be classified as geniuses and others who wouldn't be able to conduct a coin flip.

rocker
06-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I didn't realize it wasn't summer in South Africa either! LOL.

i'm sure there are many people, athlete or not, who wouldn't know that either.

Dave67
06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
hey, has anything been reported on what TFC players will be doing during this break? do they get a week or two off? is Preki off in Bahamas or something? haha

It's been reported, but it's in a member forum. Not sure if I can post it here. Perhaps one of the mods could copy it over if it is allowed.

Not a holiday as such.

Whoop
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I didn't realize it wasn't summer in South Africa either! LOL.

i'm sure there are many people, athlete or not, who wouldn't know that either.

It's all about the hemispheres. LOL

SilverSamurai
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
My sis is in Cameroon right now and she says its SUPER hot now. Says its 40º w/o the humidity.
Definitely not their "winter" now!

Roogsy
06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
My sis is in Cameroon right now and she says its SUPER hot now. Says its 40º w/o the humidity.
Definitely not their "winter" now!

Cameroon is also quite a bit north of South Africa.

Let's remember that their "winter" isn't with snow. Much like Florida, "winter" can simply be a period of rain and cooler than summer temps.

nfitz
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Best thing to do is simply look at their forecast.

Cameroon's first game is in Bloemfontein. The current weather and forecast is here (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/zafs0000). Current temperature (7 pm local time) is 5ºC. Low tonight is 1ºC. High tomorrow is 11ºC. This is probably one of the colder locations, but even in Johannesburg has overnight lows of 3ºC to 4ºC and highs from 12º to 16ºC in the forecast (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/sfxx0023).

Certainly no advantage to any of the African teams other than South Africa. Probably best for European teams.

I doubt that frost or snow is ever an issue. I worked with a South African mining engineer once who was new to Toronto. He had no concept at all of the engineering required for the winter, and couldn't understand why he couldn't just lay water piping on top of the ground. I think he went back after one winter ...