PDA

View Full Version : RPB SouthWest "The Corner" - 117, 118, 119

peterboroughtfcfan
06-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm looking for those who sit in 117, 118 or 119 and are interested in getting involved to unite the SW corner. We don't have a capo stand or the same centralization as the SE corner, but with a little communication I think we can realy improve the atmosphere and coordination of our sections.

I sit in 118 and have been working with Jeffro and a few of the guys around us to try and coordinate chants and jumping. It keeps it lively for us, but the atmosphere really improves when 119 and 117 join in.

The three sections are certainly close enough for everyone to hear what is going on and join in with the songs. BUT....here's the problem....we are too far away from 112 to really stay coordinated (especially with the TRN drumming above us) and our chants would lag if we tried. I don't think our voices would carry so far as to mess up chants on the SE corner so maybe we should focus our efforts on our own corner rather than trying to copy the other side.

If everyone took a cue from what was happening in one of our sections (I'm not suggesting it has to be 118 but I'm happy to help out) we should be able to unite the three sections.

I'm happy to hear anyones thoughts and to get the names of some of the guys in those sections.

One final thing. RedRat was kind enough to provide me with a drum for our corner during the KC game. I'm sure most of you heard me banging away on the drum and I'm hoping to do it again in the future. Many people came up to me after the game and thanked me for bringing the drum and suggested I do it again.

I'm wondering what other people thought of the drum and whether we should use it again. The one issue I found is that many people in those sections don't follow the lyrics to the songs that well and when the drum is going it may be harder for them to hear what others are singing.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and speaking with those in "The Corner". Please introduce yourself to me at one of the games if you're around.

Elliot - PeterboroughTFC

Klinsmann
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I was able to hear (and see you banging) that drum up in 221 too!

:drum:

Jeffro
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
If people are in nearby areas, there are always tons of empty scalper seats near us, and it hasn't been a problem importing people to our section. So if you're in our area and want to sing and chant, come down and join us at the bottom of 118. It would make us a bit louder and encourage others to join in.

There have been a couple games this year that we got things going pretty well, but we need more help!

Jeffro
06-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Sorry I missed the KC game Elliot, and actually I won't be at the Galaxy game either... Damn weddings! But I'll be back in full force after that.

Hitcho
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
This has been tried before but let;s keep going because every time we do it there might be a little more traction gained. You should search for other threads on this to get names of people who are interested. AT one point there was an organised meeting of people in 117/118 (and maybe 116?) before a match so that people could meet each other and know who to look out for. The thread title contained something about taking over the world I think!

Also see Roogsy's recent efforts to unite the south end. i think that was laudable but ended up being a case of trying to run before we could walk. it would be awesome to have two independent "bunkers" anchoring the south end and generating cohesive noise and chants from the east and west corners.

lastly, you'll have the same two major problems as always in getting the 117/118 area up to scratch - nomadic faces from the scalper ifnestation which means new people each week and not returning people who can learn by osmosis and join in more and mroe as they pick up chants etc; and, of course, THE DRUMS. There's no way to shut them up and from where I sit in row 14 I have frequently found that I am unable to join in with chants etc when they do get going because the drums behind me just drown it all out. That's especially true of chants coming "sideways" but probably applies with equal measure to chants coming "backwards". trying to work with them has limited success, because they add a caribbean flavour to any drumming and its not useful at all for chanting in time, plus they are so damned loud that they drown out the people trying to chant with their drumming.

ANywa, best of luck. If you can get the same spirited people on board and maybe a few more from the previous threads then you'll have a good pool of people to work with. i think the pre-match meet up is a good idea so we all knwo who to look otu for and who to watch for and follow with, especially since catching chants and joining in is half the battle in the Corner. (I like that by the way - the Bunker and the Corner, nice).

EDIT - ROOGSY - can you throw any useful to Elliot? Did you not compile a list of RPBs for this purpose int he past in the SW Corner area?

Cheers!

Hitcho

UltraFootyKWC
06-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm in 117, Row 3 and I really liked you having that drum last match. It gave us one solid beat to chant to. You should definately continue to use it. I think it will help in unifying the three sections.

I usually keep an eye on you guys in 118 and try to join in to whatever chant you are starting. So keep it up and I will be there right with you.

The problem is, there are always too many new faces around who don't know the chants, and there are also those regulars who could care less about the chants. However, I think that the more they hear the chants the more people will feel comfortable joining in.

peterboroughtfcfan
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Ya I was wondering where you were. It was noticeably quieter without you. That said...no one tried to push me over the railing hahahah.

Sorry I missed the KC game Elliot, and actually I won't be at the Galaxy game either... Damn weddings! But I'll be back in full force after that.

anonymiss
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I sat in 120 at the KC game - and was pleasantly surprised to see/hear the drum. That corner was way more united and loud than I've ever heard it before. Although I could do without the "west Side Stand Up"... it serves no purpose in my mind...

Keeps it up for sure! If I end up with seats in and around there count me in for being one of the mass chanters!

Cheers!

peterboroughtfcfan
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I think the "west side standup" chant is more to get people in the non-supporters sections to participate too. I know there are a ton of people in those sections who want to be more involved and I think of it as being inclusive. I don't intend it to be an insult, although I can see where some would think that.

I sat in 120 at the KC game - and was pleasantly surprised to see/hear the drum. That corner was way more united and loud than I've ever heard it before. Although I could do without the "west Side Stand Up"... it serves no purpose in my mind...

Keeps it up for sure! If I end up with seats in and around there count me in for being one of the mass chanters!

Cheers!

nfitz
06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I think the "west side standup" chant is more to get people in the non-supporters sections to participate too.Remember that those who stand in the non-supporters sections risk being thrown out of the stadium. I was standing in the North Stand for the Vancouver game, in the pouring rain, with no one near me, and no one sitting behind me for 3 rows, and 10 seconds into the first half, I had security paying me a visit, much to my surprise (given the conditions).

I know there are a ton of people in those sections who want to be more involved and I think of it as being inclusive.Well, I was up in 220 on Saturday - I haven't sat in that area for about a year, and was surprised to still hear the West Side stand-up chant. People seemed more annoyed than anything ... and the only audible response I head was "South Side, Shut Up". Personally, as I was balancing a 2-year old, a beer, and 2 other drinks (wow, I miss those wonderful North Side drink holders) I stayed seating!

peterboroughtfcfan
06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Fair enough....I understand that there are things that prevent people from standing up. I wouldn't begrudge you staying seated in a situation like that.

While I get your point about Security, I doubt its an issue for the 45 secs most people stand when we do the chant. The one thing I like about it is that when we do it, it seems like that side gets into the action a bit more and they are more audible. I'll drop it if it pisses people off (never my intention).

Remember that those who stand in the non-supporters sections risk being thrown out of the stadium. I was standing in the North Stand for the Vancouver game, in the pouring rain, with no one near me, and no one sitting behind me for 3 rows, and 10 seconds into the first half, I had security paying me a visit, much to my surprise (given the conditions).

Well, I was up in 220 on Saturday - I haven't sat in that area for about a year, and was surprised to still hear the West Side stand-up chant. People seemed more annoyed than anything ... and the only audible response I head was "South Side, Shut Up". Personally, as I was balancing a 2-year old, a beer, and 2 other drinks (wow, I miss those wonderful North Side drink holders) I stayed seating!

Torontotonto
06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I think the "west side standup" chant is more to get people in the non-supporters sections to participate too. I know there are a ton of people in those sections who want to be more involved and I think of it as being inclusive. I don't intend it to be an insult, although I can see where some would think that.

Hey Elliot,

We are always trying to get 119 going, but sometimes it's not easy.
I think my son's little guy Nolan was helping bang on that drum last Saturday. Won't forget the singing and jumping on the subway ride to Saputo field on 06/12, wish it could be like that in 118/119 all game.

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

DichioTFC
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I'll be getting season tickets next year. If you guys are able to get this going, I'll be more than happy to get a pair of seasons in the SW Bunker

tfcmanu
06-08-2010, 02:09 PM
There is a few of us in Sec 120 that would probably join you in Sec 118 if the opportunity was there for the taken.

Mayor_McCheese
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
i was lucky enough to snatch a couple tickets from Roogsy for the Montreal game and i was in 118 row 4 right behind Jeffro..i remember we tried to do the massive with 119 and there were 2 dudes in 119 singing with us..best of luck to you guys, hope i can grab tickets to that section again, good dudes

jenkinsm
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm in 118, row 9. I think this section has been gradually getting better this season. I've been doing all I can to keep it going...and think the drum is a great addition. Hopefully we can make that a regular occurrence.

Although, i gotta tell ya...I got a fever...and the only prescription...is more cowbell!

TFC Bhoy
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I missed last game, but I am in sect 119 row 4 and I'm sure might have seen or at least heard me! I am one of the few in my section that sings EVERY song that comes along.

Hell a couple times this year me and my friend and maybe 2 or 3 people around us have tried to join in with Jeffro118 and the guys around him in the massive! Didn't work out too well as not many other people knew the chant/joined in.

But anything you guys want to do to get things going better in this corner im in 100%!! I try to sing and get everyone around me to join in, so anything i can do to help out then lets do it boys!!!

BakaGaijin
06-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I applaud your efforts and I really hope this takes off. I wish everyone the best of luck.

That being said. Please end the fucking retarded "West side stand up" chant.

Lamest. Chant. Ever.

FluSH
06-08-2010, 10:48 PM
"BELIEVE"

Still one of the best banners hanging from BMO FIELD. ALONG WITH KEEP FIGHTING

I really wish you guys the best of luck... if I could help in any way let me know... If I had a wish, it would be for us to get our own section large enough to unite all RPB's throughout the stadium in one section.

Stiggy
06-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Hey, i got two 1/2 seasons in 118 row 18.
Whenever i show up always have a group of about 4-5 ppl around me that know the chants and try to keep it going from up top. We can't hear the first 10 rows at all, but when we signal the TRN boys with which chant to try they always accomodate with a little carribean flavour.
In all honesty all the negativity for TRN is not deserved, some yes, but they are way more in touch with the chants and the carib flavour then it was in year one. Those drums just hurt my ears the first year.

Plus i love the fact that the multiculturalism and different supporting cultures are uniting for one team.

Toronto Gunner
06-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Just one request if/when you guys do get coordinated - enough with the west side stand up BS. I sit high atop the west stand in 225, and from my vantage point, it doesn't look like anybody is standing up. It's not a chant that supports or encourages the team, so I would drop it. Just my $0.02.

Section 117
06-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I am in 117 I am down for what ever you guys need. The biggets problem is the constant turn over in these sections due to scalpers and not having a lot of regulars. My only problem is that I will be away until July 10. I am getting married plus the honeymoon etc....

But my brother will be there and I will give him the heads up and get him tio start chanting with you guys while I am away. I hope that when I get back it will be more organized then it is now

peterboroughtfcfan
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Stiggy,

I appreciate your comments. The purpose of this thread isn't to bash the TRN, its to organize RPB, Usector or any other supporters who want to participate. The TRN can keep doing whatever they are doing and I don't intend on starting some kind of rivalry with them. In fact, I have no issue at all with the TRN and frankly when we aren't pulling our weight they tend to fill out the sound in the section.

Hey, i got two 1/2 seasons in 118 row 18.
Whenever i show up always have a group of about 4-5 ppl around me that know the chants and try to keep it going from up top. We can't hear the first 10 rows at all, but when we signal the TRN boys with which chant to try they always accomodate with a little carribean flavour.
In all honesty all the negativity for TRN is not deserved, some yes, but they are way more in touch with the chants and the carib flavour then it was in year one. Those drums just hurt my ears the first year.

Plus i love the fact that the multiculturalism and different supporting cultures are uniting for one team.

peterboroughtfcfan
06-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I think Jeff's point is pretty important. There are a TON of open seats around us at the bottom of 118. Beyond that, I'm more than happy to jam in if people want to come and join us. I think the more we centralize the sound, the easier it will be for people to join in.

If we can get 15-25 guys chanting and jumping at the bottom of the section...well....then we're as big as NEE (j/k). Feel free to come stand with us at the next game (LA). I don't think the Security guys will hassle you and if they do we can figure out how to arrange ticket switches to get as many people in there as possible.

At this point it sounds like the reaction to the drum was pretty positive. I'll ask RedRat to hook me up again for the next game.
:drum:

If people are in nearby areas, there are always tons of empty scalper seats near us, and it hasn't been a problem importing people to our section. So if you're in our area and want to sing and chant, come down and join us at the bottom of 118. It would make us a bit louder and encourage others to join in.

There have been a couple games this year that we got things going pretty well, but we need more help!

peterboroughtfcfan
06-09-2010, 08:25 AM
It was great see you guys down there for the Wed night game. I had an absolute blast watching your grandson drum on Sat. Everyone went nuts when he was pounding away on the drum and he was surprisingly good at it.

I've honestly never seen a human consume more licorice than that kid.....UNBELIEVABLE. Bring him back anytime, we can always use an extra hand with the drum.

Hey Elliot,

We are always trying to get 119 going, but sometimes it's not easy.
I think my son's little guy Nolan was helping bang on that drum last Saturday. Won't forget the singing and jumping on the subway ride to Saputo field on 06/12, wish it could be like that in 118/119 all game.

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

Parkdale
06-09-2010, 08:42 AM
threads like this make me very, very happy!

it's awesome to see that people are taking control of their game day experiences, and stepping up to organize things. I've always been a firm believer that if you Can't make it to the party, just bring the party to you and it seems like exactly what's going to happen here. Getting people excited about being in that corner will help get the rest of the stadium pumped too.

oh, and maybe you guys can drown out whoever starts the 'westside stand up chant' ;)

peterboroughtfcfan
06-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I think the comments about the "West Side Stand Up" chant are fair. I can't promise the chant won't happen again, but I can promise I won't be the one who starts it.

threads like this make me very, very happy!

it's awesome to see that people are taking control of their game day experiences, and stepping up to organize things. I've always been a firm believer that if you Can't make it to the party, just bring the party to you and it seems like exactly what's going to happen here. Getting people excited about being in that corner will help get the rest of the stadium pumped too.

oh, and maybe you guys can drown out whoever starts the 'westside stand up chant' ;)

leroy
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
i'm in 119 row 11 this season, finally got out of 120. five of us stand together who like to chant/sing + a handful around us that are friendly, but somewhat on the fence when it comes to participating in all the chants. except for "oh when the reds go marching in" which everyone seems to sing along to. there are definitely a good group of guys a few rows in front of us that are involved and loud. I am 100% in on creating the atmosphere in 'the corner'. i think a good starting place would be the bottom of 118. we (119, 117) could follow the lead from that area + the drummer

i thought the drum last game was great and i hope we can keep it. if we could get the drum in the SW corner in unison with the drum in the SE corner, i bet we could finally belt out a proper version of Dichio's 24th minute tribute.

Parkdale
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
if we could get the drum in the SW corner in unison with the drum in the SE corner...

the distance is the hardest thing to overcome. the drummer can't wait to hear the first drum, as by them it's too late to stay in sync. Hell.... let's get some walkies in there!

peterboroughtfcfan
06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Believe me - we try as hard as we can to listen in to what the SE corner is doing. At the best of times its difficult. When the TRN get going (which is completely their right) its impossible to hear anything.

That's why I'm suggesting we work on our bunker first. If we have those of you on this board who are interested jam into our section (118) we can centralize the energy in the corner. I think it would be easier for people to feed off a group of 20-30 guys/gals in one section rather than straining sideways to hear what is going on in the SE.

Obviously the goal is to unite the South stands but I think that is impossible without first creating pockets of support which translate outwards (i.e. from 117/118 to 116).

the distance is the hardest thing to overcome. the drummer can't wait to hear the first drum, as by them it's too late to stay in sync. Hell.... let's get some walkies in there!

Torontotonto
06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
It was great see you guys down there for the Wed night game. I had an absolute blast watching your grandson drum on Sat. Everyone went nuts when he was pounding away on the drum and he was surprisingly good at it.

I've honestly never seen a human consume more licorice than that kid.....UNBELIEVABLE. Bring him back anytime, we can always use an extra hand with the drum.

Thanks man, he had a ball drumming, not too bad for a 5yr old, his older brother was a RPB player escort against the Fire this year. Those two little guys will be carrying on the RPB tradition into the future.

Jeffro said in an earlier post that a lot of the seats around lower 118 are scalpers and often empty. My son and I will keep an eye from 119 and join you guys when empty spots are available.

:drum::scarf::flare::scarf::drum:

cementhead
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I,m in 118 in row15 seat 15 and it dead everyone stand but every little go on.I,m think about coming down you look to have way more fun been in 111 for the last few game it been great.

Jeffro
06-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I think eventually (hopefully sooner than later) it would be amazing to have a walky system. That way at least for a few key times and certain songs we could have a coordinated start, which would allow more people scattered about to join in.

Roogsy
06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I would recommend not coordinating with the south-east because the sound does not carry at all from the south-east to the south-west.

shaggingscot
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I would recommend not coordinating with the south-east because the sound does not carry at all from the south-east to the south-west.

QFT........

Southsider
06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I've moved over to sec. 120 (row 6, seat 10) this year, and I've got to say you guys are getting better every match. The drum was a big step up last week and made it a lot easier to carry chants and get all the day trippers going. Definitley keep it up. Except for the aforementioned "West side Stand-up" chant. I'm the bitter looking person who remains glued to his seat, not able to see around the entire section standing around me :o.

Keep it going. :drum::scarf: