PDA

View Full Version : Sasha Kljestan to Anderlect?

anto7
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Has anyone heard anything about this?
I am just watching Fox Sports World Canada and it said that he was missing Chivas's last game and that he was joining Anderlect in the transfer window.

CretanBull
06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
If the MLS has any chance of gaining credibility, we have to stop losing players to clubs like Anderlect.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2010, 08:32 AM
hey man, i know you support a storied club but cmon, Anderlecht isnt that bottom of the barrel, they are one of the top teams in belgium and qualify for european championships regularly, im not even a supporter but i can think of a billion worse teams that mls players have gone to play for

CretanBull
06-08-2010, 08:40 AM
* I know that Anderlecht is no where near bottom of the barrel, but Belgium (with all due respect!) shouldn't be out spending America in anything!

Ultimately, the Belgian league is a feeder league to the bigger leagues. We have to accept that the MLS will be a feeder league to England, France, Germany, Italy & Spain but we shouldn't be a feeder league to other feeder leagues. Know what I mean?

Azerban
06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
we haven't really earned the right to be there though

for every altidore and adu, we send twenty guys to denmark

even edu, which was an amazingly high profile transfer for the league, went to a joke of a league with 2 semi-competent teams and a handful of comedy options

Ossington Mental Youth
06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
we haven't really earned the right to be there though

for every altidore and adu, we send twenty guys to denmark

This is pretty much it

even edu, which was an amazingly high profile transfer for the league, went to a joke of a league with 2 semi-competent teams and a handful of comedy options

Honestly if you look at La Liga, even with all its talent, its starting to turn into the scottish league with two teams dominating year after year. For the record im not a supporter of either.

Whoop
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Jonathan Bornstein could be going to Mexico too.

Not good if you're a Chivas supporter.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/06/07/1964193/report-sacha-kljestan-to-sign-for-anderlecht-within-the-week

Yohan
06-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Klejstan will flop in Anderlecht. I haven't seen anything that he's mentally prepared for Europe. Though playing for Anderlecht might finally get his work ethic up, but I doubt it.

I expect a return back to MLS in 3 years

Canary Canuck
06-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Kljestan's motivation went down the shitter after Don Garber screwed him over demanding an extortionate transfer fee from Celtic. He was an emerging star in the league and a national team regular and he's never been the same since.

Super
06-09-2010, 12:26 AM
As someone who follows Danish football, the MLS is below their standard. Very much so. A player who does well in the MLS would struggle to get a spot on a team in Denmark. That's a fact. CERTAINLY the MLS is below the standard of the Belgian league as well. To Kljestan this would be a significant step up. And if he does well, he would be better able to make another step up the latter. Nevermind the financial incentives to make the move. (Sidenote: Chris Rolfe, who moved from Chicago to Aalborg in Denmark, makes about $500k right now). So yeah, here's one Dane who would like to say: stop looking down on the Danish league. Clean up the MLS first!

Let's be more honest with our position in the world. We're a tiny league with a salary cap that is probably equal to the average salary of teams in Cyprus. If we want to move ahead, we DESPERATELY NEED to get rid of the salary cap. Unfortunately there is little support for that. Many people like parity. So, as a result, we fall WAY behind, and will not be able to compete. We can keep players here against their will by tying them down to silly contracts, but personally I'd rather that players would WANT to play here. Not gonna happen with parity. So for now we have to accept the fact that players want to play in better leagues. Period. That includes Denmark, Belgium, Cyprus, etc.. Heck, even Norwegian division 2.

troy1982
06-09-2010, 12:44 AM
As someone who follows Danish football, the MLS is below their standard. Very much so. A player who does well in the MLS would struggle to get a spot on a team in Denmark. That's a fact. CERTAINLY the MLS is below the standard of the Belgian league as well. To Kljestan this would be a significant step up. And if he does well, he would be better able to make another step up the latter. Nevermind the financial incentives to make the move. (Sidenote: Chris Rolfe, who moved from Chicago to Aalborg in Denmark, makes about $500k right now). So yeah, here's one Dane who would like to say: stop looking down on the Danish league. Clean up the MLS first!......

All or nearly all the players on the US national team came from MLS and they all currently play for teams that are at a higher calibre than teams from Denmark, except for Benny Feilhaber. So i doubt any player who excels in MLS would have trouble in the danish league.

Super
06-09-2010, 01:17 AM
All or nearly all the players on the US national team came from MLS and they all currently play for teams that are at a higher calibre than teams from Denmark, except for Benny Feilhaber. So i doubt any player who excels in MLS would have trouble in the danish league.

Someone who does well would indeed struggle in Denmark. Someone who does GREAT is another story. Cann does well in the MLS, and he struggled. Great players would go to better leagues than Denmark, but really, how many GREAT players are there really in the MLS? At TFC I'd say DeRo and DeGuzman - that's IT! They'd be able to compete in Denmark. The rest: no. Maybe Frei as a young talent.

Look at our number one CB - Adrian Cann. He played for 2 years in Denmark before coming to Toronto, and only played 13 games for a mid-table team. That's 13 out of 66 games. He was a bench player. Lower-level bench player at best. To us he is our #1 CB. That should illustrate the difference between the two leagues.

My overall point is that the foot of the average football team in the world is SO on our face right now. We have to get rid of the salary cap SOON so we can grow as a league, and at the very least develop some teams that can keep the great players from leaving. For now we're just small time - and will remain so with the salary cap in effect. I mean, honestly, Kljestan couldn't leave Chivas because the "Commissioner of the league" said so? WTF is up with this Mickey Mouse league? Let the guy go. Let it be a lesson to us to improve. That's how it works everywhere else in the world. Sheeeeesh!

anto7
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
I guess it's a done deal

Today, 4:08 pm ET

Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Chivas USA midfielder Sacha Kljestan, the club's all-time leader in assists and matches played, transferred to reigning Belgian First Division champion Anderlecht on Thursday.

Kljestan, 24, joined Chivas USA as the club's first-round pick in the 2006 MLS Draft and made 114 regular-season appearances, scoring 15 goals and adding 33 assists. Per club and league policy, terms of the transfer were not revealed.

"I'm very excited and proud to be joining a club like Anderlecht," Kljestan said, "and I wouldn't be there to sign with them today if I hadn't been for Chivas USA.

"I'm ready to take this exciting step in my career."

Kljestan has made 24 appearances with the United States, but was not included on the World Cup roster.

Anderlecht is Belgium's most successful club, having won the Belgian First Division 30 times.