PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday, June,08

denime
06-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Mornin'

No TFC News today,

Since there are no TFC news here is a Great site to find all WC 2010 news:

NewsNow WC2010 (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/World+Cup+2010)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

CretanBull
06-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Mornin' D

shutupkid
06-08-2010, 06:32 AM
I use newsnow for everything

pekduck
06-08-2010, 06:33 AM
morning D

keem-o-sabi
06-08-2010, 06:49 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/06/07/miss-coed-rosa-acosta/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/06/05/miss-coed-scarlett-perez/)

spark
06-08-2010, 06:54 AM
On the heels of Saturday, and plenty of talk of our fav ref, some realities of this guy on the world stage as well as the overall impression someone like Toledo gives towards MLS ...

THE BALD TRUTH? BALDOMERO IS UNFAIR-O (http://www.rednationonline.ca/The_Bald_Truth_Baldomero_is_Unfair-O_june_8_10_column.shtml)

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 06:54 AM
That's a good site, I was looking for the match times!

scooter
06-08-2010, 06:58 AM
mornin d
and thanks for the link to world cup
cant wait

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Two superb saves, including one off Nielsen’s face from a drive by Jacob Peterson, enabled Kansas City to take a 0-0 result out of Toronto, which could have lost if not for Stefan Frei’s excellent flying deflection of a Ryan Smith shot bound for the top corner. Nielsen also thwarted a pair of good shots by midfielder Julian de Guzman, who is proving each week he’s much more than your typical MLS holding mid.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38375/young-guns-and-golazos.html

bgnewf
06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
In this video blog I explain what is going on in the mind of maligned MLS official Balderomo Toledo and why he feels the need to ruin Soccer games, plus some perspective on the first third of the season going into the World Cup Break, and how to recognize me at TFC games for the rest of the season.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/06/toledo-sucks/

koryo
06-08-2010, 07:58 AM
I can see the headline now:

"ENGLAND LOSES QUARTER-FINAL IN OPENING GROUP STAGE GAME"

I can't help it. I just can't.

:D

CoachGT
06-08-2010, 08:07 AM
My fears:

"Cunningham scores four in opening game against Three Lions"

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Really good article on World Cup viewership in the U.S.

We’re definitely selling the World Cup as if the U.S. has been converted to soccer,” said Ed Erhardt, the president of ESPN customer marketing and sales. “It’s a more diverse country than it’s ever been.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/sports/soccer/08sandomir.html

The Union have sold out their opener for their new park:

The new stadium will seat 18,500. The Union cut off season-ticket sales at 12,000.

Looks like another MLS 2.0 success story.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100608_Union_opener_at_new_park_is_sold_out.html #axzz0qGaO1g2g

koryo
06-08-2010, 08:13 AM
My fears:

"Cunningham scores four in opening game against Three Lions"

or Buddle.

I had a dream last night that the US won that game 1-0. Horrible. Just horrible...

ManUtd4ever
06-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I can't wait for Saturday. England vs. USA is scheduled at the perfect time. It will be interesting to see what transpires in a marquee matchup that predominantly features EPL stars vs. MLS stars. Ideally, I would love to see England finish first in the group and the USA finish second...

boban
06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
In this video blog I explain what is going on in the mind of maligned MLS official Balderomo Toledo ..
You read minds now? ;)

deltox
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I can't wait for Saturday. England vs. USA is scheduled at the perfect time. It will be interesting to see what transpires in a marquee matchup that predominantly features EPL stars vs. MLS stars. Ideally, I would love to see England finish first in the group and the USA finish second...

hardly

the US team has 4 players who currently play in the MLS.

Buddle, Donovan, Findley and Bornstein

17 players are from european teams

and 2 players are from mexican based teams.

ManUtd4ever
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
hardly

Fair enough, but many of the USA players are products of the MLS. In previous World Cup years the USA roster was dominated by MLS players. The Yanks have certainly come a long way...

FINAL U.S. ROSTERhttp://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif

Defenders
Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes)
Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)
Steve Cherundolo (Hannover)
Jay DeMerit (Watford)
Clarence Goodson (IK Start)
Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan)
Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

Midfielders
DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers)
Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt)
Clint Dempsey (Fulham)
Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Maurice Edu (Rangers)
Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus)
Stuart Holden (Bolton)
Jose Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards
Jozy Altidore (Hull)
Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)
Herculez Gomez (Pachuca)

Goalkeepers
Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Tim Howard (Everton)

[NBF]
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I dont see how people are so dupped to the hype around the U.S. national team that they think they will make it out of the group stage. I bet you the U.S. losses vs. Slovenia and England and ties Algeria.

The U.S. definitely let the skills of marcus beaseley go to waste.

bgnewf
06-08-2010, 09:25 AM
You read minds now? ;)

Hard not to be able to read the mind of a small petty little man who appears to be afflicted with "small dog syndrome". (The syndrome manifests itself in yapping and in trying to get more attention than your physical stature usually permits).

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
hardly

Most of the current Euro players started in MLS.

boban
06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Most of the current Euro players started in MLS.
:confused:
What does that mean?

Whoop
06-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I think he means most of the US players who are currently playing in European started in MLS.

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I think he means most of the US players who are currently playing in European started in MLS.

Exactly.

Carts
06-08-2010, 10:46 AM

People also need to remember, that in US sports culture "where your from" has nothing to do with your hometown, and everything to do with where you were developed in the league lower than the one you're playing in currently...

I mean, to this day, in the NBA Finals, Kobe Bryant is introduced as "...from Lower Merion High School..." The guy has been in the league for over a decade - its just how it is...

Its the opposit of Canadian sports culture - you never hear a NHL'er announced as "...from the Sault Ste. Maria Greyhounds, number 99 Wayne Gretzky..." We simple say "...from Brantford Ontario..."

Carts...

Oblio2
06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
headline I hope, on Sunday:

Ledley King rapes Cunningham and Buddle....US fucked
England win 5-0

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
People also need to remember, that in US sports culture "where your from" has nothing to do with your hometown, and everything to do with where you were developed in the league lower than the one you're playing in currently...

I mean, to this day, in the NBA Finals, Kobe Bryant is introduced as "...from Lower Merion High School..." The guy has been in the league for over a decade - its just how it is...

Its the opposit of Canadian sports culture - you never hear a NHL'er announced as "...from the Sault Ste. Maria Greyhounds, number 99 Wayne Gretzky..." We simple say "...from Brantford Ontario..."

Carts...

We don't have an eveil raquet going that rivals the NCAA, though. Funny you chose the High School example but 9/10 times it's the college the player attended.

boban
06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I can read thank you.

Exactly.

Still didn't answer my question.
We are talking about today, not yesteryear.

Carts
06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
We don't have an eveil raquet going that rivals the NCAA, though. Funny you chose the High School example but 9/10 times it's the college the player attended.

That one just jumped out at me becuase 9/10 guys have their college announced - and Kobe was straight from high school...

Sometimes (since I'm not a huge hoops fan) I forget he went straight from high school...

But you get the point I'm making...

Carts...

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
^Indeed. I hope we find some balance between the "system" of support for kid athletes we have here and the NCAA

Oldtimer
06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
I can read thank you.

Still didn't answer my question.
We are talking about today, not yesteryear.

They are today's players, and it is doubtful they would have "made it" to the extent they did if it were not for MLS.

boban
06-08-2010, 03:20 PM
They are today's players, and it is doubtful they would have "made it" to the extent they did if it were not for MLS.
No they are not today's players ..
Four players play in the MLS (asterisks)That's 19 out of 23 that ply their trade elsewhere - mainly Europe. Some time in the past they may have been MLS but you can't say that now.
Today they do not play in the MLS so don't say they are MLS players.
It doesn't matter where they started. It is important where they are now.
Therefore it's not a matchup of EPL vs. MLS .

Defenders
Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes)
*Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)
Jay DeMerit (Watford)
Clarence Goodson (IK Start)
Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan)

Midfielders
DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers)
Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach)
Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt)
Clint Dempsey (Fulham)
*Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
Maurice Edu (Rangers)
Stuart Holden (Bolton)
Jose Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards
Jozy Altidore (Hull)
*Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy)
*Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake)
Herculez Gomez (Pachuca)

Goalkeepers
Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Tim Howard (Everton)

Whoop
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
At the end of the day the initial point being made, after it was pointed out that there are only 4 MLS players, is that MLS was instrumental in getting a lot of the players to where they are now where it being a place where they developed or got their initial taste of professional football.

It is important where they got started because it allows the people running the league to assess how they are doing, what they have to improve upon or what they have to continue to do.

Right now, MLS is a feeder league, a like a lot of other European leagues, albeit most players end up going to those feeder European leagues. Hell, some of those guys might be classified as playing in Europe, but they hardly play.

Defenders
Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes) *started in MLS
*Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA) *still in MLS
Jay DeMerit (Watford)
Clarence Goodson (IK Start) *started in MLS
Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan)

Midfielders
DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers) *started in MLS
Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach) *started in MLS
Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt) *started in MLS
Clint Dempsey (Fulham) *started in MLS
*Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy) *still in MLS
Maurice Edu (Rangers) *started in MLS
Stuart Holden (Bolton) *started in MLS
Jose Torres (Pachuca)

Forwards
Jozy Altidore (Hull) *started in MLS
*Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy) *still in MLS
*Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake) *still in MLS
Herculez Gomez (Pachuca) *played for years in MLS

Goalkeepers
Brad Guzan (Aston Villa) *started in MLS
Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers) *started in MLS
Tim Howard (Everton) *started in MLS

So that's a good chunk of the US roster that started/developed in the MLS.

Roogsy
06-08-2010, 03:35 PM
So only 5 players have absolutely no link to MLS?

That is an impressive stat.

Whoop
06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
6 but who's counting?

I mean I think, for the moment, MLS has to accept it's fate as a feeder league, or a stepping stone for their players to become serviceable players in bigger leagues. It's a testament to the league. To me, I don't see it as a negative.

In 1998, 16 players on the US WC team were playing in the MLS. In 2002, that number dropped to 11 and in 2006, it stayed at 11.

So in sense, the fact that there are fewer US MNT players playing in the MLS could mean one of two things.

On one hand, if you see the MLS as a feeder league, it's doing it's job of getting players to play overseas.

On the other hand, you can say that the quality of MLS needs to improve in order to retain those players.

At the end of the day, while it might not be a true MLS stars versus EPL stars... the results that the US puts up in this tournament will reflect on the MLS.

For example, if the US does well, all of a sudden you might get more European teams snooping around trying to take players overseas. Or you might entice some players from Europe or South America to play in the MLS.

Roogsy
06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I am not too concerned with MLS's status as a feeder league. Everyone starts somewhere and most leagues in this world fall under that status. You don't get to become Serie A or La Liga overnight. But unlike other feeder leagues around the world, the MLS is the only one that has the potential to move beyond being a feeder league, and that is what is exciting.

In the meantime, it's exciting to think the US has a real potential to make noise. If they don't make it past the group stages, it will be a disappointment.

Whoop
06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
That's the thing. I'm not a US MNT supporter but I think the change in thinking comes from expectations now.

Like you said, if they can't make it past the group stages, it would be a disappointment to them. That's the change, the expectations. In the past, it was more of a case "we're happy to be here."

It's funny how you force yourself to improve when you put expectations on yourself, hey TFC?

If the US flames out, they'll have to reassess why. If they do well, it shows that something is working.

boban
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
So that's a good chunk of the US roster that started/developed in the MLS.
Yeah it is but Oldtimeer was downplaying another posters claim that it isn't MLS vs. EPL. Which the game isn't. The USA team consists of a lot more talented players than MLS quality.

Whoop
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
And now reports indicate that Chivas USA could be losing two players in the coming weeks to teams overseas with Sacha Kljestan going to Anderlecht in Belgium and Jonathan Bornstein going to Atlante in Mexico.

Jeffro
06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Why do people keep mentioning Cunningham? He's not on the team.

TFCRegina
06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
:confused:
What does that mean?

Altidore, Howard, Holden and Edu are just offhand examples, and I'm sure there's more.

Roogsy
06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
He's just going to say they're no longer MLS players and that this proves that MLS is of lesser quality.

Like somehow player movement from league-to-league means their former leagues are worse.

CoachGT
06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Why do people keep mentioning Cunningham? He's not on the team.

My mistake from earlier - I recall his name being tossed around for the roster.

ag futbol
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
;1055846']I dont see how people are so dupped to the hype around the U.S. national team that they think they will make it out of the group stage. I bet you the U.S. losses vs. Slovenia and England and ties Algeria.

The U.S. definitely let the skills of marcus beaseley go to waste.
I wouldn't describe it as hype, but i think the point that's being made is that you can't overlook them so easily anymore, which is true.

I'd say your in for a surprise if you think they're going to get rolled by Slovenia and Algeria.

I am not too concerned with MLS's status as a feeder league. Everyone starts somewhere and most leagues in this world fall under that status. You don't get to become Serie A or La Liga overnight. But unlike other feeder leagues around the world, the MLS is the only one that has the potential to move beyond being a feeder league, and that is what is exciting.

In the meantime, it's exciting to think the US has a real potential to make noise. If they don't make it past the group stages, it will be a disappointment.
A couple years ago the argument was made that MLS couldn't even consider itself a feeder league ( I think it might have been Ives that wrote that). If we're now in the feeder category that's an upgrade from where we were.

Roogsy
06-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Upwards and onwards!

shutupkid
06-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I guess I'd rather be a feeder league than a feeders feeder.