PDA

View Full Version : What was with those 2 banners yesterday???

james
06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
in the aisle of 112 and 113 Two guys came with huge 2 stick banners and went to hold them up atl like maybe the 65th minute. However they decided to try and hold them up and block everyones view as the game was being played. I dont know why they chose that time to do it, however the fans behind all yelled and wouldnt let them hold up the banners.

I was just wonderring what was on those banners, all i saw on the banners was a bunch of Army men and said something like its a beatiful day......and couldnt see the rest. Anyone know what the banners were of and why they didn hold those up before or after the game? were they even anything to do with soccer or were they some politics protest?

Gixmo
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
See the banners/tifo forum

Coles note

D-day Banners, celebrating DDay which was today. The timing coincided with the years past since the date in question. Our group is named after a military unit, the group honored those who fought for our freedoms to unfurl such a banner..

Edit : Nevermind, You won't have access to see the why and who as a regular user.

james
06-06-2010, 11:06 PM
ohh, well it didnt go to well. They should of held the banners at the back very back row or something. Seemed a bit of a waste of time and effort to make those and then never even got them up.

Gixmo
06-06-2010, 11:11 PM
It's my understanding they went up, and I hear your thoughts on backlash - Believe me, It's being discussed elsewhere...

It's part of the atmosphere and we all know things will happen from time to time as the group grows. The constructive criticism is taken in stride and duly noted.

What's more important is the message behind the banners, which is celebrating those who gave their life for us to be true north, strong and free.

DichioTFC
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
The guy responsible for the timing apologized already. In my mind it's a dead issue at this point.

james
06-06-2010, 11:14 PM
ya i love the whole tifo, flags banners at soccer games. Some people just dont understand that aspect of being a supporter....but i can also see how people actually want to watch the game and dont want to miss a goal or something. I think it could of been better done. Hey if they just held those up at the last row no one would of been complaining.

DichioTFC
06-06-2010, 11:15 PM
i was going to explain it, but Gixmo took care of that

james
06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
ya thanks for the info, i had no idea what was going on.

koryo
06-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Those banners paid tribute to June 6 1944 and were very well done. Their timing at the ground is, as has been noted, another matter.

But that aside, absolutely gorgeous banners.

Super
06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Beautiful banner. Terrible timing. Next time raise it up as players are entering the stadium, and during the anthem. It would get more eye-balls too - and definitely would be seen on TV. But great job on the banner, it's a nice gesture to the men and women of the Canadian military who fight for our freedom!

RealG-TFC
06-07-2010, 06:23 AM
i suggest not sitting in the supsec if you don't want obstructed views.

Mikey
06-07-2010, 06:26 AM

I was waiting for that one......

Fort York Redcoat
06-07-2010, 06:35 AM

When did we start calling it that?

If the entire Supsec was full of Sups that didn't mind that way of Supping that would be fine. Banners done a little lower in the Sec would prolly be supped better.:)

RealG-TFC
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
no one calls it that, i was just too lazy and hoped my little creation would be interpreted the way I wanted it to be; it worked.

Roogsy
06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Here is a suggestion.

How about raising the banner not from the middle of the section but from up top?

It can be done at any point in the game and it won't obstruct views?

Shoot...it might even make the banners more visible to everyone.

TFCRegina
06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
When did we start calling it that?

If the entire Supsec was full of Sups that didn't mind that way of Supping that would be fine. Banners done a little lower in the Sec would prolly be supped better.:)

Now we're learning newspeak and soon we'll be proclaiming the glories of ingsoc...

TFC OZZ
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Here is a suggestion.

How about raising the banner not from the middle of the section but from up top?

It can be done at any point in the game and it won't obstruct views?

Shoot...it might even make the banners more visible to everyone.

I second that opinion

Darlofletch
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
banners looked good from 227. On a slightly related note, was anyone able to read the NEE's banners. It was obviously star wars dark side themed, but I couldn't make out the slogan as my view was blocked by the pictures.

Brooker
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
banners looked good from 227. On a slightly related note, was anyone able to read the NEE's banners. It was obviously star wars dark side themed, but I couldn't make out the slogan as my view was blocked by the pictures.

http://imgur.com/z2LhJ.png

Anyway, I liked the banners in 112.... They looked good at the start of the game. but to put them up when TFC is attacking in our end is completely unacceptable. Especially when many people, myself included, are screaming and swearing at you to put it down, and you just smiled/ignore us and walk directly infront of us. that was the infuriating part.

like it's been said, he's apologized so it's a dead issue. we all make mistakes. heaven help the next person that makes this one again, though.

Darlofletch
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks Brooker.

Not sure i get it, is TFC the dark side? NEE?

Belfast_Boy
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks Brooker.

Not sure i get it, is TFC the dark side? NEE?

I could see it from 110. is Mo supposed to be the Emperor?

v00d00daddy
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Never saw the D-Day banners as I sit in the south end.....great sentiment...nice to see people remembered. Very classy.

When I saw the thread title I thought somebody was talking about the Star Wars stuff in the NE end. Very nice looking and it's obvious that a lot of hard work was put in to them...but WAY too dorky for me.

Don't really get the "dark side" theme as it pertains to TFC.

Again...looked good though. Good on em for that work and display.:)

boomcha
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't get those banners either. Nice banners but the message is lost on me and a bunch of other people around us.

Azerban
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I could see it from 110. is Mo supposed to be the Emperor?

bet you it was because we put up yoda

eustacchio
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM

I was thinking something similar.

Belfast_Boy
06-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Never saw the D-Day banners as I sit in the south end.....great sentiment...nice to see people remembered. Very classy.

When I saw the thread title I thought somebody was talking about the Star Wars stuff in the NE end. Very nice looking and it's obvious that a lot of hard work was put in to them...but WAY too dorky for me.

Don't really get the "dark side" theme as it pertains to TFC.

Again...looked good though. Good on em for that work and display.:)

the D Day banners were classy. another day i'm proud to be an RPB!

james
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM

i agree, but alot of people in the supporters section dont understand that.

Just like the game on saturday there was a few new guys in my row who i never saw before and near the begining one guy asked the drummer if he could sit down because he couldnt see, he replied with "you have never been in this section before, so you just got to get use to it or leave" :scarf::drum:

Also many people dont understand the Ultra culture. They dont get the flags, banners, streamers. You go to some games like in Greece or Argentina the banners and flags are waving for 90mins straight!

London
06-07-2010, 05:04 PM
i am tired....

phonzo
06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
i am tired....

agreed....

Brooker
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Also many people dont understand the Ultra culture. They dont get the flags, banners, streamers. You go to some games like in Greece or Argentina the banners and flags are waving for 90mins straight!

Well it's a general rule of thumb in Toronto that having gigantic banners up for extended periods of time during play, especially when TFC are attacking, is a huge no-no.

Parkdale
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi there ole :seeya:

maybe you can answer - why did you blur out the faces of the people in that picture?

prizby
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
anyone get a pic of the banners?

adamdz
06-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Here are 2 pics I came across. Not great pics. There was a 2nd banner I can't fine a pic of.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4675962140_227c1a41b1.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4675341133_a2f9012710.jpg

J .
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM

/end of discussion

Gixmo
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
holy detail, well done crew..

FluSH
06-07-2010, 10:18 PM

LOL

We did a play on words with the Yoda banner... which was supposed to be funny... with that said I find Star Wars stuff lame... I don't even know who the red guy is or the other grey guy in the middle... Darth Vader on the other hand gets the pass... I mean it's fcuking Darth Vader... that's like the Samuel L Jackson of Space...

But Puerto Rico Islanders took claim to that already and it was against US!!!

http://hiapr.org/yabbfiles/Attachments/I_am_your_Father3.jpg
Puerto Rico Tifo - Aug 4th 2009
(Puerto Rico Islanders vs Toronto FC)

Now that's part of the reason why Darth Vader was untouchable in my views.... after that PR banner...

It's like a Sound Clash... Someone pulls a Special Dub on you... and well that means u caaaaaayn't use the same dub. "I am your Father" how da fck are you going to top that.. da dance is done.

Fort York Redcoat
06-08-2010, 06:33 AM
The NEE's banners were of Darth Maul, Darth Vader and the Emperor. In Star Wars they represent the "Evil Empire". I believe the NEE were drawing subtle comparisons to an organization they feel is an "Evil Empire".

I thought it looked fantastic but lost relevance with it's subtlety. Right from first glance I thought "Cheeky, but how many people in the stadium much less watching at home would know the reference?"

Anyway, I still think there have been banners with less relevance that have looked great. I certainly wouldn't want to give the impression I don't appreciate all the good work involved.

rocker
06-08-2010, 08:40 AM
The NEE's banners were of Darth Maul, Darth Vader and the Emperor. In Star Wars they represent the "Evil Empire". I believe the NEE were drawing subtle comparisons to an organization they feel is an "Evil Empire".

It makes even less sense considering there's no reason lately for such a tifo. I think they should be more relevant... maybe a tifo about the good run of form lately or something celebrating a young talent like Nana.

But sitting near NEE, I get a sense even when the team is doing well on the field that they'd rather be protesting the organization (by being silent..). I can barely hear them. It's almost like "damn, we're winning... there goes our argument."

etro
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM

or wait for a better time to open your banner.

AL-MO
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
@ 4:50

KzYllvjihDU

Wow the people under that banner must have been pissed!

:rolleyes:

MUFC_Niagara
06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
http://imgur.com/z2LhJ.png

Anyway, I liked the banners in 112.... They looked good at the start of the game. but to put them up when TFC is attacking in our end is completely unacceptable. Especially when many people, myself included, are screaming and swearing at you to put it down, and you just smiled/ignore us and walk directly infront of us. that was the infuriating part.

like it's been said, he's apologized so it's a dead issue. we all make mistakes. heaven help the next person that makes this one again, though.

^^ This is almost as gay as those southpark and beavis and butthead banners people make. I wonder if they realize everyone makes fun their idiotic banners.

Gixmo
06-08-2010, 10:51 AM
^^ This is almost as gay as those southpark and beavis and butthead banners people make. I wonder if they realize everyone makes fun their idiotic banners.

Let's be cordial here guys.. We all have different tastes.

Rather criticizing the banners people *have* made, make a contribution on your own and create your own banner that suits your taste. I can guarantee the banner team would welcome your contribution with open arms! It's not difficult, nor costly. I've done 3 2 sticks, 6-8 feet high 2-4 wide for under $20 total.. They've been donated and are used.

If someone makes fun of a banner that someone else made, I'd ask said person what they have contributed banner wise...

Perception, Some people loved Yoda, Some hated it..

H Bomb
06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Please continue expressing opinions. This thread is days of classic supporters group humour. Ill put in my own two cents by claiming that true supporters always wear toe rings on every toe, and if you dont like it get outta here to somewhere else tea and crumpets.....

Parkdale
06-08-2010, 11:11 AM
and if you dont like it get outta here to somewhere else tea and crumpets.....

I'm not exactly sure what a 'crumpet' is, but if it's anything like a scone, sign me up!

JonO
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
^ better than a scone... if it is done right. And so good with butter and jam...

Kind of like a scone pancake hybrid:
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/465936/2/istockphoto_465936_toasting_crumpets.jpg

Gixmo
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Surely, You aren't being serious Parky..

H Bomb
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Scone?!? Go to a baseball game and enjoy your scone. Scone he says. Some people just dont understand football. :D

Parkdale
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Scone?!? Go to a baseball game and enjoy your scone. Scone he says. Some people just dont understand football. :D

please make sure to post a youtube clip of how it's done in Azerbeczkerjistan, just so I know what standard I have to live up to.

:D

Parkdale
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
^ better than a scone... if it is done right. And so good with butter and jam...

Kind of like a scone pancake hybrid:
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/465936/2/istockphoto_465936_toasting_crumpets.jpg

oh, then I have had those, with just a little bit of butter.