PDA

View Full Version : Classless LA fans

TFC247
06-06-2010, 12:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-losangelesgalaxycrowdchants

A third of the way into the match, the Los Angeles faithful began chanting, "U.S. reject" repeatedly in front of Ching, and later, the chants began again in the second half.

The guy battled back from injury for a chance to represent US and this is what he gets. Bunch of classless pricks.

Azerban
06-06-2010, 12:39 PM
nope you're wrong

fucked with his head, galaxy got the 3 points, thats the point

grizzle
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Player needs thicker skin in my opinion. Unfortunately heckles and chants are a part of sport used to try and mess with the opposing team.

Red Rat
06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
we were no better two years ago when Ibra was on the stands giving thanks and mid to top 111 called him a TO Reject!!

rr

H Bomb
06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
thats not classless at all...he was rejected by the us team.....stop em when they're wrong

koryo
06-06-2010, 12:57 PM
It's a wind-up. Nothing more.

James Oliphant
06-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Booooooooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnng...

Red Rat
06-06-2010, 01:01 PM
close it.

rr

TorCanSoc
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Totally classless. WC dreams are huge for these guys. He went far into the camp, only to be cut late. The chant is a low-blow on a personal level. Sure its football, sure its a league game and you want to throw off the other team. But WC stuff is at a different level. Its life-long dreams kind of stuff.

I know I'll get crucified for this but I think is the same level as a racial slur.

TFC247
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
nope you're wrong

fucked with his head, galaxy got the 3 points, thats the point
I never said they didn't fuck with his head. But it's still a low-life, no class move.

Be careful, that logic will only encourage KKKrew fans to throw another banana just so they can "fuck with his head".

Relax, I know, chanting "US reject" and racism is not the same.

TorCanSoc
06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
What? Crew fans threw a banana? When the hell did that happen? Or are you making a reference to the racial slur toward Kelly Dube?

Pookie
06-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Totally classless. WC dreams are huge for these guys. He went far into the camp, only to be cut late. The chant is a low-blow on a personal level. Sure its football, sure its a league game and you want to throw off the other team. But WC stuff is at a different level. Its life-long dreams kind of stuff.

I know I'll get crucified for this but I think is the same level as a racial slur.

It is more classy to chant "This ain't Rehab" to a player battling addiction? ;)

I tend to think that personal stuff involving families (ie. John Terry stuff) and racial chants are off limits.

Yeoman
06-06-2010, 01:53 PM
yeah pookie has it
to me that would be more classless
or us calling braz a to reject in montreal.
now the everton fans earlier this year singing about killing rooneys kid? that is classless

Damien
06-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Adam Braz represented Canada, and I think he's a reject.

TFC247
06-06-2010, 01:59 PM
^^ I think everybody knows you're a low life.

jk

Broadview
06-06-2010, 02:03 PM

He made the team in 2006. I'm sure he's fine.

TFC Bhoy
06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
is it really THAT much of a difference from when we chant "T.O. Reject"? Personally I don't think so, but maybe thats just me

prizby
06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
we shall see what happens when houston comes to Toronto July 1st esp if the US are still in the WC

H Bomb
06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
sorry guys but racism is a prejudgment based on archaic and mostly untrue stereotypes that is derogatory towards an entire race.......in this case some people made fun of a guy who didnt make the world cup for not making the world cup.

there's no comparison. this things here, it's nothing....its barely even mean.

London
06-06-2010, 02:27 PM
is it really THAT much of a difference from when we chant "T.O. Reject"? Personally I don't think so, but maybe thats just me

to me it is way different. and stupid in my opinion, (not your comment, the la fans)

they are yelling at a player from there own national team being cut.

it would be like us chanting "canada reject" to braz as opposed to "TO reject"

which he is

grizzle
06-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Please explain to me how this is the same level?

First off race is something people can't control, you are born with it. People who are racist have something wrong with them whether it be a bad upbringing or they just have a lot of hate in them.

Not making a world cup team is because you weren't good enough is different because you can control your skill. Maybe he didn't train hard enough, maybe he pissed off the wrong people, maybe he partied too much... who knows, but if he was the best player in the US then you can guarantee he would have been on the team. Attacking this FACT during a game is fair game because it is related to the game being played. To me this is on the same level as when people yell you suck at the opposing team players just to try and get a reaction.

So how are they the same?

DichioTFC
06-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Racial slur is much more harsh than calling out a player for not being selected to the WC. even the best players in the world (Ronaldhino, Cambiasso) did not get selected. It's an honour to play for one's country but by no means a right, always a privilege.

There is no way that a pretty witty chant could be considered on the level of a racial slur.

TFC247
06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, to be honest, isn't all derogatory chants, to some extent, considered low class? I mean, like Azerban and others pointed out, the sole purpose of these chants is to get under their skin and to piss them off. It certainly is not high class that's for sure. But that isn't the question. It all comes down to where would you draw the line to "fuck with their head"?

I just think there's a difference between a national team vs club, and especially someone who was one of vital piece in USMNT qualifying for both '06 and '10 WC, the same team most of Galaxy fans are aligned to. Maybe I should've said lowER class, that better?

DichioTFC
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
^ Look at who were chanting. The LA Galaxy fans. Why would they have a vested interest in that particular chant? Their boy, Edson Buddle, surprisingly got picked over Brian Ching for the striker position.

I'm sure that point was not lost on Galaxy fans.

Heathen
06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
what a stupid thread

Flipityflu
06-06-2010, 03:38 PM
its not like we are inviting teams over for sunday brunch and a poetry reading. we are supposed to be nasty.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
It's a wind-up. Nothing more.

agreed

TFC247
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
^ Look at who were chanting. The LA Galaxy fans. Why would they have a vested interest in that particular chant? Their boy, Edson Buddle, surprisingly got picked over Brian Ching for the striker position.

I'm sure that point was not lost on Galaxy fans.Interesting point, I didn't know galaxy fans were so dedicated to their country.

I still say leave the national team matters to national, and club matters to club.

Oldtimer
06-06-2010, 04:11 PM
What? Crew fans threw a banana? When the hell did that happen? Or are you making a reference to the racial slur toward Kelly Dube?

It was a second incident that came within a month or so of the Youtube video with the "fan" giving the racial slur.

Those 2 incidents plus Xenophobes like Bill Archer have given that city a bad reputation.

Roogsy
06-06-2010, 04:30 PM
The argument here is where does class overrule effectiveness?

Was this effective? Probably. It would get under the skin of anyone.

Was it classless? Absolutely.

I guess we all make decisions whether we choose to leave our class at the door or not. Some of choose to keep our class and find other ways to get at players.

But I won't make others choose the same thing as me. Everyone does what they feel is best.

DichioTFC
06-06-2010, 06:15 PM
The argument here is where does class overrule effectiveness?

Was this effective? Probably. It would get under the skin of anyone.

Was it classless? Absolutely.

I guess we all make decisions whether we choose to leave our class at the door or not. Some of choose to keep our class and find other ways to get at players.

But I won't make others choose the same thing as me. Everyone does what they feel is best.

It wasn't worse than TFC fans chanting "This ain't rehab" to Shalrie Joseph in his first game back out of rehab.

IMO, the US Reject chant was fair game, especially considering the sub-context (LA's boy, Buddle, got picked over Ching).

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Shalrie Joseph was in rehab for smoking a joint. He deserves to be made fun of, like the great Bob Saget line from Half Baked: "Addicted? You're not addicted to weed! You know what I did today? I sucked dick for coke! Have you ever sucked dick for weed?"

This thread smells an awful lot like a Kenny Blankenship wind up, which is to an RPB the equivalent of an LA fan yelling "US Reject" at Brian Ching.

koryo
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
^^ Thank you Vox. Thank you.

Best of luck trying to be reasonable around here mind ;)

Azerban
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
didn't we find out it was pot only after the game

but still

DichioTFC
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Shalrie Joseph was in rehab for smoking a joint. He deserves to be made fun of, like the great Bob Saget line from Half Baked: "Addicted? You're not addicted to weed! You know what I did today? I sucked dick for coke! Have you ever sucked dick for weed?"

This thread smells an awful lot like a Kenny Blankenship wind up, which is to an RPB the equivalent of an LA fan yelling "US Reject" at Brian Ching.

I have no problem with the This Aint Rehab chant. I'm saying that chant delved into a personal issue closer than the US Reject chant. And the The Aint Rehab chant was fair game so the US Reject chant ought to be fair as well.

james
06-06-2010, 10:21 PM
k Man City fans sang at Old Trafford the anniversary of the Man United players who died in a plain crash in the the late 50s i believe. i cant remember what the City fans were saying, but it pretty much was Man City fans were happy that Man United players died and celebrating how great it was.

Beckham use to get chanted at where ever he went back when he played for Man United...stuff like Posh takes it in the bum, beckham sucks and kill his family even.

THis in LA was nothing in comparison, they need more thick skin if you complain about a simple chant as " US reject" its all part of the game. Good on LA fans!!

james
06-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Theoren Fleury had a drug problem for most his NHL carreer. After his NHL days were done he went to play in the UK Hockey league, played for Belfast. One game they played against Coventry i beliieve it was...and the fans chanted "the Only like Fleury is on is the one up his nose'! That was awsome cause it pissed Fleury off and ended up getting kicked out of the game.

TFC247
06-07-2010, 05:39 AM

Nor really, it's just an honest opinion. And for others, it really isn't hard. If Mods feel I'm trolling, why let them make the appropriate decision? Sure won't lose sleep over it if they close it.

Looking back, I probably should've posted it in the US WC thread, which I see now it was already posted there. I think this hit me harder than others here since I'm also a fan of USMNT and thought it was out of line to go there by his own US supporters (what little we have). This isn't England or europe, we all know how these guys (both US and Canadian soccer players) are already treated like red headed stepchild both away and home other than pockets of "fans". I just thought it was unnecessary piling. Yeah, I know, cry me a river.

Anyways, no harm, no foul. If anything, at least you can relax now that I've hit my yearly quota of starting a single thread, you won't have to worry about me being Kenny :lol:

Cheers

DichioTFC
06-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Nor really, it's just an honest opinion. And for others, it really isn't hard. If Mods feel I'm trolling, why let them make the appropriate decision? Sure won't lose sleep over it if they close it.

Looking back, I probably should've posted it in the US WC thread, which I see now it was already posted there. I think this hit me harder than others here since I'm also a fan of USMNT and thought it was out of line to go there by his own US supporters (what little we have). This isn't England or europe, we all know how these guys (both US and Canadian soccer players) are already treated like red headed stepchild both away and home other than pockets of "fans". I just thought it was unnecessary piling. Yeah, I know, cry me a river.

Anyways, no harm, no foul. If anything, at least you can relax now that I've hit my yearly quota of starting a single thread, you won't have to worry about me being Kenny :lol:

Cheers

TFC247, I disagree with your opinion but I support your right to express it.

This thread did not cause the death of millions. Get it together haters

Globetrotter
06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
This is not a former player of a club team that is being heckled. Ching is still an American, he just didn't make the squad. Whether he is on the US team or not, he is still and American... and it doesn't make sense to heckle that. One injury and he could be called in to play. Just dumb in my opinion.

Would you heckle Kadri for not making the Leafs this past season? Very similar situation.

Yeoman
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM
only hockey fans don't do chants?

Dirk Diggler
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
This is not a former player of a club team that is being heckled. Ching is still an American, he just didn't make the squad. Whether he is on the US team or not, he is still and American... and it doesn't make sense to heckle that. One injury and he could be called in to play. Just dumb in my opinion.

Would you heckle Kadri for not making the Leafs this past season? Very similar situation.

Kadri is our own player ... why would we heckle him?

A similar situation would be Houston fans heckling Ching for not making the national team.

Globetrotter
06-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Kadri is our own player ... why would we heckle him?

A similar situation would be Houston fans heckling Ching for not making the national team.

Ching is an American cut from the American team!!! American fans are heckling an American that didn't make the US squad. These were not Galaxy fans heckling Ching because he failed to make the Dynamo squad.

American fans heckling one of their own American national athletes who fell just short.

Make sense? See the similarity?

H Bomb
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
No dude. Ching has history with the mens team. Was a failure last world cup, with the rest of his team. And didnt make the current team cause he missed his chance. Its not like kadri, a kid who wasnt ready. Its a chant to bother him, its nothing close to inappropriate. Maybe this is just a case of people being brought up in the pc era. Once he didnt make the team why on earth would galaxy fans sympathise? Id do the same for martin nash with a smile on my face.

Blizzard
06-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Ching is an American cut from the American team!!! American fans are heckling an American that didn't make the US squad. These were not Galaxy fans heckling Ching because he failed to make the Dynamo squad.

American fans heckling one of their own American national athletes who fell just short.

Make sense? See the similarity?

No actually. They were Galaxy fans heckling Ching because he was cut from the US WC team and because he played for Houston.

So is the thread starter a pot calling the kettle black?

We sure gave Pat Onstad a hard time the first game Houston played in Toronto after his own goal against Jamaica. "Hey, Pat Onstad ... Ooh ah ... I wanna know (ow ow ow), how you scored that goal!" It was brilliant although I felt a twinge of pain as I sang it.

Of course, if he wasn't an opposition player, it wouldn't have happened. It's identical to the Ching thing. The Galaxy fans would not have heckled Ching unless he was an opposition player.

It's all about needling the opposition whatever the reason. Even Onstad said that after that memorable day. He said something to the effect of "the supporter's were doing their job".

Now, when it goes wrong it is a different story. I was told about the Montreal Ultras heckling Tyler Hemming of the Whitecaps as a "T.O. Reject" while Serge Djkanovic and Adam Braz were on the field for the Impact looking into the supporter's section thinking WTF?!!!

Way to go guys. LOL. :facepalm:

james
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
No actually. They were Galaxy fans heckling Ching because he was cut from the US WC team and because he played for Houston.

So is the thread starter a pot calling the kettle black?

We sure gave Pat Onstad a hard time the first game Houston played in Toronto after his own goal against Jamaica. "Hey, Pat Onstad ... Ooh ah ... I wanna know (ow ow ow), how you scored that goal!" It was brilliant although I felt a twinge of pain as I sang it.

Of course, if he wasn't an opposition player, it wouldn't have happened. It's identical to the Ching thing. The Galaxy fans would not have heckled Ching unless he was an opposition player.

It's all about needling the opposition whatever the reason. Even Onstad said that after that memorable day. He said something to the effect of "the supporter's were doing their job".

Now, when it goes wrong it is a different story. I was told about the Montreal Ultras heckling Tyler Hemming of the Whitecaps as a "T.O. Reject" while Serge Djkanovic and Adam Braz were on the field for the Impact looking into the supporter's section thinking WTF?!!!

Way to go guys. LOL. :facepalm:

Thats a good example of us doing the same as LA. Some of the other examples of LA fans chanting towards an American player weren't good examples. Its really all about LA fans chanting at a Houston player while playing against Houston that didnt make the american squad rather then just any american not making the squad.

Its jsut like friends who play soccer against each other...your best of friends off the field, but for 90 minutes your the enemy and you do what you can to win, same goes for the supporters.

james
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM

the only way hockey fans know how to heckle is by going "booooooo".

but again it does make sense cause he plays for Houston not LA, there for LA fans dont like him when he is playing against there team. Just like I hate anyone who plays for Montreal Impact, Candian or not, i hate that team and are our rivals. And just like i also hate Montreal Canadians, and hope they never win a cup.