PDA

View Full Version : Time to get rid of the horrible San Jose Trade

gracos
06-05-2010, 03:37 PM
We got rid of part 1 of this trade, Gerba, now we need to get rid of the second, Garcia, what did we give up to get this trade I forget, but I know we need to get rid of it

Shakes McQueen
06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
The red card was completely unjustified.

- Scott

Greg
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Any one of our players could've been on the receiving end of that terrible call.

CretanBull
06-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm not down on Garcia - he's been very good lately - but that call wasn't outrageous. I don't think there was an intent to injure, but he did have the bottom of his boot exposed and went in late. Circumstances like that are left to the ref's discretion.

Shakes McQueen
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not down on Garcia - he's been very good lately - but that call wasn't outrageous. I don't think there was an intent to injure, but he did have the bottom of his boot exposed and went in late. Circumstances like that are left to the ref's discretion.

Kamara is the one who came in late. Garcia was sitting there waiting for the ball to come down, and then stepped in to clear it, while Kamara was charging in (not even looking at the ball!!)

It was a shit call. Garcia never once looked at Kamara; he was trying to play the ball.

- Scott

WestStandGeoff
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Kamara is the one who came in late. Garcia was sitting there waiting for the ball to come down, and then stepped in to clear it, while Kamara was charging in (not even looking at the ball!!)

It was a shit call. Garcia never once looked at Kamara; he was trying to play the ball.

- Scott

Exactly. I'm usually joining the Garcia pile-on, but not in this case...

J .
06-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Garcia had priority on the ball, he was already in his kicking motion and Kamara ran into him to tip the ball away.

MAYBE a yellow if the game is already super heated....

Toledo is the worst ever.

pekduck
06-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I hated him when he played like shite. But to be fair, he just got Toledoed today, not his fault.

TFCRegina
06-05-2010, 06:11 PM
That was the worst Red Card call I've ever seen, especially since the guy who booted Barrett in the face didn't even get a yellow, let alone a red, on a similar play.

Toledo is to blame.

Stop complaining about Garcia, who has improved dramatically this year...yes I just said that.

prizby
06-05-2010, 06:44 PM
whiner (/adds to ignore list)

TFCRegina
06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
whiner (/adds to ignore list)

Hoping that's not me.

prizby
06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
nope to the guy who started this topic, like seriously, every second someone has a chance, they go after him...maybe his salary isn't justified, but i frankly believe he is a guy worth having around the locker room, in his hay day, he was at least half decent, heck he had a few US call ups, he can speak to his experience and help the young players grow

Shakes McQueen
06-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Hoping that's not me.

He's referring to gracos, but you know what? Fuck you, too. :D

- Scott

SilverSamurai
06-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm by no means a Garcia lover, but that red card was way too harsh.
Yellow, maybe, but red? No way.

Shakes McQueen
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
nope to the guy who started this topic, like seriously, every second someone has a chance, they go after him...maybe his salary isn't justified, but i frankly believe he is a guy worth having around the locker room, in his hay day, he was at least half decent, heck he had a few US call ups, he can speak to his experience and help the young players grow

I think there was a time when Garcia deserved all of the scorn that was heaped on him, but now I think many people are just being stubborn in their hatred of him, divorced from any change in reality.

And the reality is that Garcia has actually played pretty well the past month or so. Preki handled him well - when he was shit to start off the year, Preki took him out of the starting lineup for a while to regroup, then slowly reinserted him in the lineup again.

It has worked well - Garcia looks confident, his morale is high, and he hasn't committed any head-scratching fuckups.

- Scott

TFCRegina
He's referring to gracos, but you know what? Fuck you, too. :D

- Scott

It's cuz I'm a bastard isn't it?

TFCRegina

I agree, and think he'll be a great Academy coach one day.

Dirk Diggler
06-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Do not agree with the thread starter at all. Even if we assume that today's red card was 100% his fault (which it wasn't), he still has played well enough to justify his spot in the starting lineup. By now, he has made up for his early season fuck-ups and has been a generally good player.

Either way, I'm assuming the thread starter was one of the people booing Garcia at the beginning of the season so can't really call for much rationality.

ochos
06-05-2010, 06:58 PM
way too harsh.. like ppl said, Garcia had priority, and there was very little intent except going in hard enough to protect himself... he must be infuriated and I give him respect for just walking off the field without arguing. Toledo was as inconsistent as ever but at least he gave us a chance to get back in the game.. You guys wanna talk about shit? How bad was Peterson today?

Roogsy
06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Terrible call. I am not piling on Garcia for this one.

Pachuco
06-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Garcia sucks. That doesn't change the fact he didn't deserve a red. Also doesn't change the fact he's better then Hscanovic so as long as we don't sign another LB, right now Harden and Garcia can split that role. Which means, right now, we need Garcia.

T.O TILL I DIE
06-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Garcia was playing rough throughout the game so he deserved a card!
and i dont no about you guys but ive seen him play rough everytime hes on the field

BeerBaron95
06-06-2010, 01:17 AM
Garcia was playing rough throughout the game so he deserved a card!
and i dont no about you guys but ive seen him play rough everytime hes on the field

backs should play with balls IMO.. he can be a lil over zealous with his tackling at times, but so what?!?! I thinks Garcia has played very well recently.... That was in no way a red card offense. My dad who watch the game on tv said he was playing the ball and Kamara is the one who was in the wrong.

poppamidnight
06-06-2010, 06:44 AM
If Garcia wasn't so slow, we wouldn't have this whole "ref's discretion" issue...

It was a lazy foul, and when you commit lazy foul's, you leave the door open for bad calls.....

Yet another example of how Garcia's bad plays have DIRECT CONSEQUENCES in game results....

As opposed to Usanov/Hsanovics.

Speaking of that, where are all those haters? Back into hiding I suspect?
I think we should make it a rule, saying that anyone who states the notion that Garcia should play before either of these two, should be banned for stupidity.

Just reaffirmed the fact that Garcia = worst TFC player in our history...
It may not be as bad as some of his (millions of others of) f-up's.... But it's yet another to add to his list.

torontocelt
06-06-2010, 08:28 AM

I totally agree with what you think. I just watched it back several times and I think that Garcia committed a bad challenge, we have all seen players sent off for challenges like that in the past, his sending off for a challenge like that should not be unexpected. He may be looking at the ball but the fact is that he catches the player, with his studs showing, on the guys thigh. Garcia actually misses the ball because he is so late in getting there, his fault. I have never heard of players not being carded when they commit a high, studs showing foul on another player because:

a) he wasn't looking at the player just the ball.

So Garica didn't think any other player on the pitch might challenge for the ball? No awareness of those around him.

b) there was no intent

There is no deliberate intent but that is mainly due to ignorance of those around him. The result is still the same ie studs at speed to the opponents thigh.

c) it was his to win (despite the fact he didn't even get to the ball anyway because he is so slow).

It was a 50 - 50, Garcia wasn't any more entitled to go for it than the other guy, if he was more entitled then he would have made it to the ball but he was too slow to get there anyway.

Garcia has been playing well but a footballer has to be aware of what is going on around him, that is what separates a good footballer from a one dimensional footballer. Regardless of whether or not you know someone is to your side you cannot go in reckless like that and expect to get off scott free when you are late and high with studs showing in the challenge.

James17930
06-06-2010, 08:42 AM
It wasn't a lazy foul -- he whiffed on the ball. So it was still his Garcia-ness that put him in that position -- but that doesn't matter, because there's still no way it was a red. I don't even think it was a card. Just an inadvertent foul.

torontocelt
06-06-2010, 08:53 AM
It wasn't a lazy foul -- he whiffed on the ball. So it was still his Garcia-ness that put him in that position -- but that doesn't matter, because there's still no way it was a red. I don't even think it was a card. Just an inadvertent foul.

If he had played the ball and then accidentally followed through on the player then I would agree. However since he did not actually even play the ball but still caught the player with a late, high, studs showing tackle then I would argue that his red was deserved.

Either way people have their own opinion, Garcia put himself in that position going in reckless for a meaningless ball. For a veteran he has to show more brains than that.

Pachuco
06-06-2010, 09:26 AM
If Garcia wasn't so slow, we wouldn't have this whole "ref's discretion" issue...

It was a lazy foul, and when you commit lazy foul's, you leave the door open for bad calls.....

Yet another example of how Garcia's bad plays have DIRECT CONSEQUENCES in game results....

As opposed to Usanov/Hsanovics.

Speaking of that, where are all those haters? Back into hiding I suspect?
I think we should make it a rule, saying that anyone who states the notion that Garcia should play before either of these two, should be banned for stupidity.

Just reaffirmed the fact that Garcia = worst TFC player in our history...
It may not be as bad as some of his (millions of others of) f-up's.... But it's yet another to add to his list.

So everytime Preki decides to play Garcia over Hscanovic, should he be banned from BMO field? :facepalm:

Oh, yes, Garcia and Harden should play before Hscanovic. Gargan should play before Usanovc. There I said it.

wzhxvy
06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
The fact that Garcia is still on this team is evidence that the "games" continue within TFC. Was yesterday a red card ? No. Has he played better of late ? Yes. Should he be on the team ? Hell No. Should he be given the captain's arm band ? Hell No.

If he was some other shmuck that Mo and Preki were not friends with or vested in the error of bringing him in (MO), he would have been long gone.

Just watch him play, his idea of being a defender is holding up his guy before the ball comes and then putting his body in the way when it does. That will get you fouls, cards, and make you easy to beat on a quick 1-2...all areas where he has been exposed.

cochrdoc
06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Garcia is always off balence on his challenges.He is a cutch and grap wack him type fullback.Commits to many fouls in our third of the field and no pace.He has played better lately.Even in his challenge with Roberto Brown he was giving as much to him until he was TKO ed.I can`t believe he was out that long for alittle slap on the chops.Alot of fullbacks miss play balls but don`t end up puting their cleats to a guys Knee.Those are career ending challenges.I can see why the ref gave the red even if I may not agree to it.

Limani_Ole
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
If going in studs up on someones thigh is not a red not sure what is...
credit to Kamara for taking advantage of Garcia's slow and miscalculated response..

Garcia once again cost the team.. and management keeps trying to slowly re-introduce him into the starting lineup for some unknown reason.. he is at best a 80 minute sub

his limitless visa will expire when Mo takes a hike.. makes you wonder if Mo is staring to interfere with the team now that they are doing better..

James Oliphant
06-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words

jloome
06-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Total yellow card. He whiffed at the ball, yeah, but he also raised his studs high and took a cut out of Kamara's thigh, so it was a dangerous challenge.

Red? Not likely. He was actually turning slightly when it happened and Kamara was coming in from a bit of an acute angle. Shitty, shitty Toldeonish on that one.

TFC OZZ
06-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Initially from my seats right behind the players bench which very close to where the foul occurred, I thought it was an outrageous call. Having gone back and looked at it, you could easily argue that a red card was fair. There was definitely no intent on Garcia's part, but he definitely went studs up, and late.

Garcia's a poor player, however I was quite impressed with some of his long and through balls up to the forward players yesterday afternoon. His days are definitely numbered.

James17930
06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Total yellow card. He whiffed at the ball, yeah, but he also raised his studs high and took a cut out of Kamara's thigh, so it was a dangerous challenge.

Red? Not likely. He was actually turning slightly when it happened and Kamara was coming in from a bit of an acute angle. Shitty, shitty Toldeonish on that one.

I see your point, but to me it was total fifty-fifty and Kamara made it by running into Garcia.

I suppose a yellow would have been fair, but yeah, as everyone agrees, a red was insane.

Fort York Redcoat
06-07-2010, 06:29 AM
If going in studs up on someones thigh is not a red not sure what is...
credit to Kamara for taking advantage of Garcia's slow and miscalculated response..

Hilarious. This reads like Garcia didn't get to the ball first. Kamara is the highest level of floppy bastard.

Still don't like Garcia.

Pookie
06-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Red/Yellow issue aside, it seems as though most arm chair Managers would have preferred that Garcia take one of the following routes:

a) not challenge for the 50/50 ball

b) challenge but somehow do it effectively keeping studs down while clearing a ball at waist height using some ballet inspired tactic

There will be contact on 50/50 balls. Sometimes there are fouls as a result. Sometimes those fouls warrant a yellow. Less frequently they get a Red. Most games, we applaud the effort and move on.

IMO, we got hosed but if the message to take from the Red Card is that we aren't to challenge for 50/50 balls... or one of our Defenders is to blame for making that challenge.... sheesh.

ensco
06-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I think this is all an overreaction. Bad calls happen. Bad refs call bad games.

Truthfully, in 2010 there've been more marginal calls that have helped us, than hurt us.

torontocelt
06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Red/Yellow issue aside, it seems as though most arm chair Managers would have preferred that Garcia take one of the following routes:

a) not challenge for the 50/50 ball

b) challenge but somehow do it effectively keeping studs down while clearing a ball at waist height using some ballet inspired tactic

There will be contact on 50/50 balls. Sometimes there are fouls as a result. Sometimes those fouls warrant a yellow. Less frequently they get a Red. Most games, we applaud the effort and move on.

IMO, we got hosed but if the message to take from the Red Card is that we aren't to challenge for 50/50 balls... or one of our Defenders is to blame for making that challenge.... sheesh.

Players have to be smart when they step on the pitch especially when you have a ref like the one on saturday. If a ref is known for being card happy then it is really necessary for players to go into 50 - 50 balls in the middle of the park when they do not need to be won? In Garcia's case he did go in, he did not have to, there was no benefit of him going in for it. 50 - 50's are important if it is of benefit to the team, for example if a team is attacking close to goal and it is likely if you do not make the challenge the opposite team might score. 50-50's are important in the reversal of the aforementioned also. 50-50's are not important when you have nothing to gain from it. Players can pick up serious injuries from 50-50 balls that can end their career or have serious injuries. Ramsey at Arsenal is a young lad who is currently nursing a broken leg courtesy of a 50-50 ball and I am pretty sure Alan smith broke his leg also courtesy of a 50 - 50. Sure players should be committed in the challenge when it is a 50 - 50 but only when it is completely necessary. Garcia has been around the MLS for a long time, he is aware of that ref and he made a bad decision. That is no ones fault but Garcia.

Pookie
06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Players have to be smart when they step on the pitch especially when you have a ref like the one on saturday. If a ref is known for being card happy then it is really necessary for players to go into 50 - 50 balls in the middle of the park when they do not need to be won?

50-50's are important in the reversal of the aforementioned also. 50-50's are not important when you have nothing to gain from it. Players can pick up serious injuries from 50-50 balls that can end their career or have serious injuries. Ramsey at Arsenal is a young lad who is currently nursing a broken leg courtesy of a 50-50 ball and I am pretty sure Alan smith broke his leg also courtesy of a 50 - 50. Sure players should be committed in the challenge when it is a 50 - 50 but only when it is completely necessary. Garcia has been around the MLS for a long time, he is aware of that ref and he made a bad decision. That is no ones fault but Garcia.

Ok but if the Ref pulls a yellow card is this a debate at all? Here's the play (still image only):

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3351/garciai.png

That ball was played over the center line and to the left side (from Frei's perspective). This was Garcia's immediate responsibility, he was the closest Red.

(though you could argue he was crossing over into Cann's space and should have stayed out wide)

Regardless, he was the closest player and has to make a decision. Garcia can either drop back and allow the striker to gain possession or he makes a play on it.

To your point, Cann and Attakora were both back in cover positions so it was plausible that Garcia could have dropped back, not challenged and then attempted to delay the attack until more support arrived.

At the same time, there were 2 supporting KC players in the area that could have provided very effective attacking support if Kamara has possession. There was a 3rd supporting player that could have been involved in a counter attack as well. This included a player out wide on Garcia's left who would have had acres of space behind Garcia and to Cann's left.

If Kamara gets possession, this player becomes a real threat. We'd then have a few tricky issues to deal with such as a cross or a direct run at Cann.

Debate can go in circles but if the card is yellow and the free kick is awarded from that spot with more Reds back in defensive support, that is a less dangerous situation than the one that could have unfolded if Garcia drops back.

torontocelt
06-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok but if the Ref pulls a yellow card is this a debate at all? Here's the play (still image only):

That ball was played over the center line and to the left side (from Frei's perspective). This was Garcia's immediate responsibility, he was the closest Red.

(though you could argue he was crossing over into Cann's space and should have stayed out wide)

Regardless, he was the closest player and has to make a decision. Garcia can either drop back and allow the striker to gain possession or he makes a play on it.

To your point, Cann and Attakora were both back in cover positions so it was plausible that Garcia could have dropped back, not challenged and then attempted to delay the attack until more support arrived.

At the same time, there were 2 supporting KC players in the area that could have provided very effective attacking support if Kamara has possession. There was a 3rd supporting player that could have been involved in a counter attack as well. This included a player out wide on Garcia's left who would have had acres of space behind Garcia and to Cann's left.

If Kamara gets possession, this player becomes a real threat. We'd then have a few tricky issues to deal with such as a cross or a direct run at Cann.

Debate can go in circles but if the card is yellow and the free kick is awarded from that spot with more Reds back in defensive support, that is a less dangerous situation than the one that could have unfolded if Garcia drops back.

The ball was travelling at pace and garcia didn't even win the ball. In that photo there are 8 TFC players and 4 Kansas players so we out numbered them 2 to 1. Is that the ball arriving at the feet of Cann? Also MLS players generally have poor control, I doubt Kamara would have been able to control that ball in any meaningful way, more than likely it would have ended up out the park, these guys are not Kaka. Garcia did not have to go recklessly for the ball, his presence alone would have been enough to put off Kamara.

Auzzy
06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
^ Kamara did not have to jump recklessly for a ball he couldn't even see, with his face averted so he couldn't even react to what was happening, towards a player whose kicking motion had started before Kamara jumped.

torontocelt
06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
^ Kamara did not have to jump recklessly for a ball he couldn't even see, with his face averted so he couldn't even react to what was happening, towards a player whose kicking motion had started before Kamara jumped.

We could go around in circles all day. I think I will just agree to disagree with others. I can understand why it was a red, I have seen them given for less. Having weighed up everything I think Garcia should not have made the decision he did and he played into the hands of a card happy referee.

Pookie
06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
The ball was travelling at pace and garcia didn't even win the ball. In that photo there are 8 TFC players and 4 Kansas players so we out numbered them 2 to 1.

We outnumber them if you assume that Garcia as the "1st Defender" was able to delay the attack long enough to have a walking DeGuzman and the other 3 TFC mids who are a good 10-15 yards behind the nearest KC attacker get between ball and goal.

Just because there are red shirts in the picture does not mean that they are in a position to defend.

Assume Garcia backs off. Ball goes to Kamara and he either plays a ball to his right to the open player nearest the bottom of the screen or plays a ball behind Attakora to a streaking KC player on his left.

Both of those options are more dangerous, IMO, than the risk of taking a foul as a result of a 50/50

Is that the ball arriving at the feet of Cann? Also MLS players generally have poor control, I doubt Kamara would have been able to control that ball in any meaningful way, more than likely it would have ended up out the park, these guys are not Kaka. Garcia did not have to go recklessly for the ball, his presence alone would have been enough to put off Kamara.

Assuming that a guy will make a mistake is not necessarily the hallmark of a solid defensive decision.

torontocelt
06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
We outnumber them if you assume that Garcia as the "1st Defender" was able to delay the attack long enough to have a walking DeGuzman and the other 3 TFC mids who are a good 10-15 yards behind the nearest KC attacker get between ball and goal.

Just because there are red shirts in the picture does not mean that they are in a position to defend.

Assume Garcia backs off. Ball goes to Kamara and he either plays a ball to his right to the open player nearest the bottom of the screen or plays a ball behind Attakora to a streaking KC player on his left.

Both of those options are more dangerous, IMO, than the risk of taking a foul as a result of a 50/50

Assuming that a guy will make a mistake is not necessarily the hallmark of a solid defensive decision.

Do you seriously forsee TFC conceeding a goal if Garcia did not foul the opposition player? I would say the chances of that would have been extremely slim, like I would say 99% they would not have conceeded a goal.

Do you really think the late arriving Kamara who was running fast (but still did not make it to the ball) was going to some how control a ball moving at pace with his first touch when he is not even facing it? Do you not think that even if he did some how manage to bring it down that Garcia would not have harried him anyway? I am very confident that Garcia's presence would have put him off even more. I have seen Kamara play and his control is not that great, I would think that you are giving him way too much credit as a player.

Fort York Redcoat
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Here's the play (still image only):

Pook. You're Awesome.

Limani_Ole
06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Hilarious. This reads like Garcia didn't get to the ball first. Kamara is the highest level of floppy bastard.

Still don't like Garcia.

What does being there first have to do with the challenge to the tight?

Garcia didnt even argue the call.. not sure how anyone else can..

Big Bruva
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
C'mon it was a bad challenge. Kei came in looking for the ball and Nick has to be more smart. Nick came in studs up which is what got him cautioned.

Makes me laugh when there is a blatant foul and the fans go crazy on the player that got fouled lol

- Scott

Big Bruva
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Still don't like Garcia.

lol Anyone in the league would of went down after that bad challenge. lol never a dive.

Shakes McQueen
06-07-2010, 01:34 PM
C'mon it was a bad challenge. Kei came in looking for the ball and Nick has to be more smart. Nick came in studs up which is what got him cautioned.

Makes me laugh when there is a blatant foul and the fans go crazy on the player that got fouled lol

Nick didn't "come in" at all! He was already there, waiting for the ball to come down. Kamara is the one that barged in to try and block Garcia's clearance.

I've watched this play about 20 times on my PVR, and you're not going to convince me otherwise. Jason deVos essentially called bullshit on the red card at the time as well.

- Scott

TFCRegina
06-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Nick didn't "come in" at all! He was already there, waiting for the ball to come down. Kamara is the one that barged in to try and block Garcia's clearance.

I've watched this play about 20 times on my PVR, and you're not going to convince me otherwise. Jason deVos essentially called bullshit on the red card at the time as well.

- Scott

If it had happened to Attakora, everyone would be up in arms.

It's the rage people feel over Garcia that blinds them to the obvious stupidity of the Ref's call.

P-NUTZ
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
garcia is reckless but playing somewhat 'ok' lately. this is typical of him getting a piece of someone, but not a red card in this particular case.

kamara is a sneaky opportunist who went in to steal a ball off garcia, and got himself into a collission that his embellishment saved him from and actually paid off.

unfortunately for garcia and us, he is targeted by other players to draw a penalty or cough up the ball. his reputation preceeds him, and he also has a history of personal wars with many players including kamara from an incident when he was with SJ and kamara Houston.

so it goes on.

Derko
06-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Kamara's a fucking twerp in my mind, he was whining all match.
If you are going to get a red card make sure the fucker doesn't get up.
There I said what we are all thinking!!

TFC07
06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Don't worry, he will be gone after the season (I believe he's on last year of his contract).

twistedchinaman
06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of his, but even the biggest douche gets a shit end of the stick, so I'm willing to give him a free pass. THIS TIME...

If he does it again and he actually DOESN'T get a shit end of the stick, then he'd better be ready to pay the price and fall on his sword.