ensco
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
uh, he was on loan there, Burnley had and still have his contract

Dbl_D
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Couldn't hurt to pick this kid up.. or does he go back to Burnley

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
He's under contract until 2013 with Burnley, but I don't get the impression he has too much of a future with them.

trane
06-02-2010, 04:35 PM
A canadian Left Back , 23, with the size to play CB, that would be very, very intersting to me.

TorCanSoc
06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
He should've stayed on with NewCastle. He would have gotten time in the League Championship. I stated as much, when he left. Now NUFC is easily back in the EPL.

Oh well, he rolled the dice. Can't knock the kid for taking his career into his own hands.

ArmenJBX
06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
How many times am I going to say this:

Sign David Edgar and Will Johnson.

Honestly, if I could figure out how to make a signature thingy on this forum, I will put "Toronto FC will sign David Edgar and Will Johnson"

Mods, make it happen please :D

Alixir
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Edgar will not leave England to come here...not at the age of 23 anyway.
His sending off in the dieing minutes of NUFC's last game in the EPL when Newcastle started actually putting the pressure on to score that 1 elusive goal that would have kept us in the EPL was painfull to watch.

Pachuco
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Never been impressed by this kid at all. But, I wasn't impressed with Cann before he came here either and he obviously has a better resume.

KezmanCCCC
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
edgar would be a nice signing for this club.... he has potential and he can always go back to europe after playing a few seasons with TFC....

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
why not a possible loan deal...send him back after the MLS CUP FINAL! ;)

BC101
06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
LOL Last time we signed a Canadian player cut loose from a English club..................
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/JSAN/F16-bailout.jpg

Stop trying to make TFC into Team Canada LOL if Team Canada were any good they'd be in group H, Not Honduras LOL.

JonO
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Stop trying to make TFC into Team Canada LOL if Team Canada were any good they'd be in group H, Not Honduras LOL.
But we need good/decent Canadians because of the roster restrictions. These restrictions will become more challenging when Montreal and Vancouver come into the league...

Macksam
06-03-2010, 10:15 PM
LOL Last time we signed a Canadian player cut loose from a English club..................

Who said anything about making TFC into team Canada. I take it you don't know much about Canadian soccer. Edgar has premier league experience and could easily start on any MLS team.

Also, if TFC's line up was the exact same as the Canadian national team's, we would win the MLS cup with ease.

BC101
06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
But we need good/decent Canadians because of the roster restrictions. These restrictions will become more challenging when Montreal and Vancouver come into the league...
Jon your point is valid iam just saying be weary.

Who said anything about making TFC into team Canada. I take it you don't know much about Canadian soccer. Edgar has premier league experience and could easily start on any MLS team.

Also, if TFC's line up was the exact same as the Canadian national team's, we would win the MLS cup with ease.

On that note, why don't you take your dumb, ex-pat ass back to Engerland. P*ssy
hahahaha reported.

WHITEY
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM

On that note, why don't you take your ex-pat ass back to Engerland.

Wow just wow LOL!

BC101
06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow just wow LOL!
pretty bold speech I LOLed.

Macksam
06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Jon your point is valid iam just saying be weary.

hahahaha reported.
Do as you wish.

pretty bold speech I LOLed.
There's nothing funny about the truth.

ag futbol
06-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Xenophobic comments aside he's pretty much on the money.

Edgar's a very good prospect by MLS standards.

Ali Gerba played in England and is Canadian, that's about where the similarities end.

Boris
06-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Do as you wish.

tone it down....

BC101
06-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Xenophobic comments aside he's pretty much on the money.

Edgar's a very good prospect by MLS standards.

Ali Gerba played in England and is Canadian, that's about where the similarities end.
I agreed with what Jon said about it but I am more cautious. You can't just go buying Canadians just cos. The team is doing alright now. While ultimately yeah he'd PROBABLY be a good action. He might not be type deal.

JDG is still "Settling" into this league I imagine Edgar would have to "Step down" too to get used to this league.

BC101
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Do as you wish.

There's nothing funny about the truth.
so basically you're telling me to get out of your country? LOL...

Macksam
06-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I agreed with what Jon said about it but I am more cautious. You can't just go buying Canadians just cos. The team is doing alright now. While ultimately yeah he'd PROBABLY be a good action. He might not be type deal.

JDG is still "Settling" into this league I imagine Edgar would have to "Step down" too to get used to this league.

Ofcourse not. Your comment was just very ignorant and it seemed like you would have said the same thing no matter what Canadian player was brought up.

Also, about the garbage I spewed, I have nothing against England and I'm not jingoistic or anything like that so don't take it personally.

so basically you're telling me to get out of your country? LOL...
No, the whole thing about the Canadian national team winning the MLS Cup.

ag futbol
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Well ya, I generally agree JDG is playing down to the level of this league as opposed to playing up to the level he's supposed to. That being said i think a lot of people had an unrealistic (and somewhat inflated) sense of what he was capable of based on his gold cup performance in 2007. I watch a fair bit of La Liga and that's not his game at all. He's a defensive mid with **some offensive minded capabilities and good passing range.

Anyways, I agree he has to be "in for it" in order for it to be a good move. Edgar would be much better off getting a permanent move to somewhere in or outside of England where can play weekly. Hard to see him getting motivated to play for TFC on a weekly basis.

twistedchinaman
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Exactly, and when they come in...it'll be a fucking demolition derby for good talent.

MUFC_Niagara
06-03-2010, 10:42 PM

On that note, why don't you take your ex-pat ass back to Engerland.

Wow. If that doesn't deserve a banning I don't know what does. Telling a Canadian citizen to leave his own country when he has a right to be here?

BC101
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Well ya, I generally agree JDG is playing down to the level of this league as opposed to playing up to the level he's supposed to. That being said i think a lot of people had an unrealistic (and somewhat inflated) sense of what he was capable of based on his gold cup performance in 2007. I watch a fair bit of La Liga and that's not his game at all. He's a defensive mid with **some offensive minded capabilities and good passing range.

Anyways, I agree he has to be "in for it" in order for it to be a good move. Edgar would be much better off getting a permanent move to somewhere in or outside of England where can play weekly. Hard to see him getting motivated to play for TFC on a weekly basis.

If you are here as a CDN it should be because you WANT TO be here not just for a cheque gotta have a sense of pride playing for the hometown team. I DUNNO Edgar personally but I HAVE a feeling it'd just be a "Gig' for him cos he could not find anything better.

@ Macksam LOL no worries if my house gets stoned or egged during the WC i know where to point the Police though RPB Message boards hahaha(I have the St George Cross on my house flying high LOL)

The Gerba joke as MOST people know was just an ongoing joke i had. Edgar ofcourse is better as he played for Newcastle but like he's way too young to consider TFC. Well youngish.

And the Canadian National team thing was just a poke at the fact Honduras is in Group H of the World cup. Not Canada. Although I do believe you can't stick all the players of Canada on TFC and hope for MLS Cup. While they ALL know each other etc etc need diversity and foreigners on a league team.

Macksam
06-03-2010, 10:48 PM
tone it down....
No problem my man.

Exactly, and when they come in...it'll be a fucking demolition derby for good talent.
That has to do with the fact a lot of the good players don't want to come back yet.

Wow. If that doesn't deserve a banning I don't know what does. Telling a Canadian citizen to leave his own country when he has a right to be here?
lol, you're reading too much into it friend.

TFCtoMUFC
06-03-2010, 10:50 PM
If you are here as a CDN it should be because you WANT TO be here not just for a cheque gotta have a sense of pride playing for the hometown team. I DUNNO Edgar personally but I HAVE a feeling it'd just be a "Gig' for him cos he could not find anything better.

@ Macksam LOL no worries if my house gets stoned or egged during the WC i know where to point the Police though RPB Message boards hahaha(I have the St George Cross on my house flying high LOL)

The Gerba joke as MOST people know was just an ongoing joke i had. Edgar ofcourse is better as he played for Newcastle but like he's way too young to consider TFC. Well youngish.

And the Canadian National team thing was just a poke at the fact Honduras is in Group H of the World cup. Not Canada. Although I do believe you can't stick all the players of Canada on TFC and hope for MLS Cup. While they ALL know each other etc etc need diversity and foreigners on a league team.

LOL BC, this guy needs to step down and understand a few things. I for one understood your joke and found it truthful and amusing. Keep it up. :hump:

TFCtoMUFC
06-03-2010, 10:51 PM
No problem my man.

That has to do with the fact a lot of the good players don't want to come back yet.

I definitely want a team of washed up players that were never that good in the first place.

BC101
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
LOL BC, this guy needs to step down and understand a few things. I for one understood your joke and found it truthful and amusing. Keep it up. :hump:
park park LOL.

MUFC_Niagara
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
No problem my man.

LMAO...how can you read "too much" into that? You told the guy to leave Canada. You didn't write it in code.

Anglophobia definition
☆ Anglo·pho·bia (aŋ′glō fō′bē ə)
noun
hatred or fear of England or its people, culture, customs, influence, etc.

Macksam
06-03-2010, 10:54 PM

It'll hold up in court.:drinking:

Also, even I knew half of what I typed was wrong, which is why I had a change in heart and edited it. However, I wasn't fast enough.:D

As for the St George Cross, I take it it'll be easy to pick it out amongst all the Portuguese flags?

TFCtoMUFC
06-03-2010, 10:57 PM
park park LOL.
LOL, can't wait for the 17th, don't care that he won't be there, we are singing that.

LMAO...how can you read "too much" into that? You told the guy to leave Canada. You didn't write it in code.

- .... .. ... --. ..- -.-- .. .--- .- .-.. --- ... . .-.

TFCtoMUFC
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
It'll hold up in court.:drinking:

Also, even I knew half of what I typed was wrong, which is why I had a change in heart and edited it. However, I wasn't fast enough.:D

As for the St George Cross, I take it it'll be easy to pick it out amongst all the Portuguese flags?

Witness to threats made by this dude.

Macksam
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Anglophobia definition
☆ Anglo·pho·bia (aŋ′glō fō′bē ə)
noun
hatred or fear of England or its people, culture, customs, influence, etc.
You're out of line. Telling him to go back to England was a play on him not supporting Canadian players and sticking to his mother country, a social commentary on Canadian soccer in general. Granted, it was done in a very pretentious manner.

TFCtoMUFC
06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
You're out of line. Telling him to go back to England was a play on him not supporting Canadian players and sticking to his mother country, a social commentary on Canadian soccer in general. Granted, it was done in a very pretentious manner.

Owen Hargreaves.

Yeah, I can play the semantics game.

TK88
Does anyone here really think he is coming to TFC? //News flash// its not happening anytime soon

MUFC_Niagara

I'm out of line, riiiiiight. On that note, my "ex-pat ass" is going to bed.

BC101
06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
LOL I follow Canada. But it is possible to maintain ties back home. Hell I was at the shit show that was Canada vs Jam qualifier... Ofcourse I WANT the team to do well. I just as I said think you need a few foreigners if you wanna be a complete league team. If that means NOT buying every Cut Canadian then so be it. The fact is he WAS cut by the way. Just like Gerba. Despite the two of them being completely diff situations. He was still ultimately cut.

Macksam
06-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Owen Hargreaves.

Yeah, I can play the semantics game.
What about him?

Krasno.pL.
06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Drank a few with him .. MLS not in sights for now. Trying to figure out what he's doing . If he's gonna play or loaned out again. But he's staying for now :)

Macksam
06-03-2010, 11:06 PM
LOL I follow Canada. But it is possible to maintain ties back home. Hell I was at the shit show that was Canada vs Jam qualifier... Ofcourse I WANT the team to do well. I just as I said think you need a few foreigners if you wanna be a complete league team. If that means NOT buying every Cut Canadian then so be it. The fact is he WAS cut by the way. Just like Gerba. Despite the two of them being completely diff situations. He was still ultimately cut.
Hence, why I said I was being pretentious when I made that delivery. I just thought you were trolling when you first made those coy remarks. Now that I know your point of view better, I don't have a problem with it.

I'm out of line, riiiiiight. On that note, my "ex-pat ass" is going to bed.
If you have such a problem with it, I'll edit my original post.

werewolf
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
David Edgar is diet-Badstuber.

He may have been cut, but hes not coming here, though he would be an amazing addition.

Krasno.pL.
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM

He may have been cut, but hes not coming here, though he would be an amazing addition.

"One day Bart, One day"
:drinking:
Soo yea . not soon :)

BC101
06-03-2010, 11:09 PM

HE PROBABLY would... And he probably is Diet Badstuber but AS OF THIS MOMENT RIGHT NOW the team is doing fine. What if he came in and upset the cart?

Krasno.pL.
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
HE PROBABLY would... And he probably is Diet Badstuber but AS OF THIS MOMENT RIGHT NOW the team is doing fine. What if he came in and upset the cart?

If he came in , he would be fine. The Team would be fine. You would have another solid Canadian Defender. Case Closed.

Macksam
06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
If he came in , he would be fine. The Team would be fine. You would have another solid Canadian Defender. Case Closed.
He would definately add depth to the backline.

BC101
06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Iam strictly on the hypothetical tip here. I am fairly sure his addition would do no harm but I think on both sides of the coin. Just cos you know him you don't gotta be like that.

ag futbol
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
uh, he was on loan there, Burnley had and still have his contract
I think this is a little more accurate than what the masses are saying.

Keep in mind with Burnley being relegated, this is exactly the type of player they need on their roster.

Edgar seemed to get decent reviews from his time with the club. Nothing over the top, but more than enough to be serviceable. Swansea grand standing perhaps? who knows...

Krasno.pL.
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Iam strictly on the hypothetical tip here. I am fairly sure his addition would do no harm but I think on both sides of the coin. Just cos you know him you don't gotta be like that.

Fair enough BC.. i hear ya!
I just dont think it would cause much of a problem short or long term :)
Would be a solid addition without question.

BC101
06-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Fair enough BC.. i hear ya!
I just dont think it would cause much of a problem short or long term :)
Would be a solid addition without question.
For sure LOL iam just all jaded after the Gerba Experiment LOL.

jimiv
06-04-2010, 06:25 AM
We have a better chance signing his dad.

:)

CretanBull
06-04-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't really know what happened to him, but he's been horrible for the last year or so...couldn't get off the bench at Burnley (a truly awefull team), could barely get off the bench at Swansea and hasn't been called by Canada in quite awhile. In a cap-based league like the MLS, I'd want to see him on trial before signing him...and I doutb he'd agree to that.

maninb
06-04-2010, 10:04 AM

We can certainly use a full-time solid RB...Gargan is okay, but Usanov is a red card waiting to happen at the best of times...

Fort York Redcoat
06-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I want to see him stay abroad, make it so he comes home the prodigal son as a DP or later as a veteran.

I'll never understand how people can shit on this league but want our best to try and develop their game here. Same with those that can't get over that we ARE a retirement league + DP's

and there's nothing wrong with that right now.

Sometimes it's like a kneejerk reaction from bruised egos.

Edgar had an AMAZING first game with Newcastle but little else. With Burnley he can keep battling for a starter spot and hopefully improve with the team in the Championship, see a promotion and forward. He has far more opportunities than MLS which, let's be honest here, once you're relegated here, you're here for good.

Pachuco
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't really know what happened to him, but he's been horrible for the last year or so...couldn't get off the bench at Burnley (a truly awefull team), could barely get off the bench at Swansea and hasn't been called by Canada in quite awhile. In a cap-based league like the MLS, I'd want to see him on trial before signing him...and I doutb he'd agree to that.

This is the truth. We have a tendency to seriously overrate Canadian players who go off to Europe. Every Canadian (or none Canadian for that matter) who has stepped onto a top league in Europe all of a sudden would tear the MLS apart. Let's keep sometihng in mind, Ricketts played for Tottenham and Everton. That says enough.

Edgar can't even get a place on the national team, and last time I saw him represent his country (FIFA U-20) he was absolutely the worst player on the field, next to Lombardo. I've never seen a defender boot the ball up the field as much as he did that tournament.

Now he can't even get off the bench on Burnley? Fuck that, he better be trialing if he's even thinking about coming here. The only reason I say give him a shot to trial is because I can't see Hscanovic on the field again. Having said that, Edgar's going to want alot of money because of his pretty little resume which could be dangerous. We could easily end up with another over paid player.

Dbl_D
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
This is the truth. We have a tendency to seriously overrate Canadian players who go off to Europe. Every Canadian (or none Canadian for that matter) who has stepped onto a top league in Europe all of a sudden would tear the MLS apart. Let's keep sometihng in mind, Ricketts played for Tottenham and Everton. That says enough.

Edgar can't even get a place on the national team, and last time I saw him represent his country (FIFA U-20) he was absolutely the worst player on the field, next to Lombardo. I've never seen a defender boot the ball up the field as much as he did that tournament.

Now he can't even get off the bench on Burnley? Fuck that, he better be trialing if he's even thinking about coming here. The only reason I say give him a shot to trial is because I can't see Hscanovic on the field again. Having said that, Edgar's going to want alot of money because of his pretty little resume which could be dangerous. We could easily end up with another over paid player.

So your saying let him go to Van or Mlt when/if he decides to come back to NA... (hopefully that wont come to haunt us...) ;)

Can't see him sticking with Burnley if he didn't stick with the Magpies... for sure NUFC was going back up but Burnley will remain in Championship for awhile... I think your Ricketts statement (and other Gerba comments and the previously endless stream of 'quality' players) proves that it doesn't matter where you played its the teams quality of play not the individual that wins games... (the only one that definitely played to his lvl was Dichio and thats because of his heart for the team):scarf:

jloome
06-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Ok, in principle I agree with the sentiment.

But I've seen him in about a dozen games, and he'd easily be one of the best defenders on our team. End of story.

Seriously Pachuco, he's solid. The only knock -- and it's a slight one -- is his aggression. He delivers a good ball, too.

Pachuco
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, in principle I agree with the sentiment.

But I've seen him in about a dozen games, and he'd easily be one of the best defenders on our team. End of story.

Seriously Pachuco, he's solid. The only knock -- and it's a slight one -- is his aggression. He delivers a good ball, too.

Yeah, I'm not saying this guy is terrible. All I'm saying is his game has obviously dropped severly in the last couple of years. He would probably come here expecting lots of money because he once played a few games for a team in the EPL.

If he's coming here, I would hope Preki and Mo get to assess what his skill level is and go from there. Kinda like Cann. As opposed to let's bring him in at whatever cost since he once played in the EPL (Note Robert signing).

Also Jloome he really hasn't been playing much, looks like he's played 9 games in 2 years. I've seem him half a dozen times, but that was starting like 5 or 6 years ago. Since he left Newcastle I haven't seen him play once. But it's seriously concerning that he's played 9 professional games in 2 years. I'm judging him more on this fact as opposed to how bad he was at the U-20. Also on the fact he can't get a call up to the CMNT, that's scary.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
park park LOL.

My dog was offended by that comment. REPORTED!

ag futbol
06-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Also Jloome he really hasn't been playing much, looks like he's played 9 games in 2 years. I've seem him half a dozen times, but that was starting like 5 or 6 years ago. Since he left Newcastle I haven't seen him play once. But it's seriously concerning that he's played 9 professional games in 2 years. I'm judging him more on this fact as opposed to how bad he was at the U-20. Also on the fact he can't get a call up to the CMNT, that's scary.
Oh he's been called, just always has something else in his plans for some reason. On the shitter and what nots....