PDA

View Full Version : Dickov Handed Manager's Job at Oldham Athletic

Jitter
06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Since there are some lightning-fast posters on here, I'm sure this is already discussed in another thread but just in case, here's the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1283265/Former-Scotland-striker-Paul-Dickov-handed-managers-job-Oldham-Athletic.html?ITO=1490

deltox
06-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Errrrr. What?

Parkdale
so I guess he's not coming here there - funny, I always figured it would happen.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
good!

Phil
06-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Wow, someone changed their mind.

Hopefully that leaves some money spare now.

Jitter
06-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Here's hoping this means MoJo has his eyes set on someone else...

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-02-2010, 09:26 AM
off topic...but whats up Babtiste? anyone know the status?

Oldtimer
06-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Good news, because he won't be coming here.

Joe Kool
06-02-2010, 09:29 AM
off topic...but whats up Babtiste?

Last report I saw said he was injured in a recent game. Haven't heard anything about the trial with TFC or anything recently.

scooter
06-02-2010, 09:38 AM
great news hopefully now we will get someone from coca cola league under 30
or rooney on loan

Wooster_TFC
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
With respect to Dickov, given the fact that we were generally always hush-hush with trialists, and that Dickov was always announced as a trialist (even had an interview on TFC TV this past off-season), it always made me think that it was simply Mo doing a buddy a solid so that he could get a better contract in England.

Roogsy
06-02-2010, 09:41 AM
With respect to Dickov, given the fact that we were generally always hush-hush with trialists, and that Dickov was always announced as a trialist (even had an interview on TFC TV this past off-season), it always made me think that it was simply Mo doing a buddy a solid so that he could get a better contract in England.

It would be nice if Mo would also take some time to do his own job as well at some point while he is doing his friends these favours.

Darlofletch
06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Good, though hopefully we do have someone lined up to come in and help out up front. I'm not totally convinced by White, but he's ok at this level, however if either him or Barrett get injured, then we're screwed, because I really don't see ibby as being a viable option, and who else do we have, I'd hate to see De Ro be forced into a change of position, as he's doing great in his current role.

Wooster_TFC
06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
It would be nice if Mo would also take some time to do his own job as well at some point while he is doing his friends these favours.

That's a very good point, but with the number of trialists that came and went in the pre-season, I find it hard to suggest that he wasn't.

Based on the fact that the team is now full, and Preki appears to be the one putting his stamp on the team, it wouldn't surprise me if all the guys we brought in that got maybe one half (or no playing time at all) were guys Mo may have brought in, and that didn't impress Preki in practice.

I think everyone on the team now fits into Preki's plans, except for possibly one or two of the younger guys (like Ibrahim).

But this is completely off tangent from the conversation, I'm quite happy that we aren't getting Dickov, as I'd expect he would have wanted DeRo type money at the least.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Havent thought he was coming for some time, not sure why but kinda felt like the move had been put off. Curious to see if there are more signings on the way tho

THE GOV.
06-02-2010, 11:53 AM
i'm glad he's not coming. this guy jerked us around twice, time to move on, and find someone actually worthy.

Dirk Diggler
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
This news is better than any signing ... best move (or lack thereof) Mo has ever made.

DangerRed
06-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Awesome news.

:michael:

twistedchinaman
06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Yay!

Red CB Toronto
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I was so looking forward to having Dickov on this team, he would have been a solid addition to the the club, a player who has played at the top level of the English footy world is good by me.

Mikey
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Hopefully Dickov can now return the favour and offer Mo an assistant managers job over there.....:D

TFC Bhoy
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
interesting.........well I hope this means we go after someone else, maybe a bit younger too

trane
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I am disapointed. Mo is going to have to look hard to find a striker that is as old, undersized, and slow as Dickov. I am confident that Mo will be able to do it.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I am disapointed. Mo is going to have to look hard to find a striker that is as old, undersized, and slow as Dickov. I am confident that Mo will be able to do it.

BWAHAHAHA
post = win

Oldtimer
06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Hopefully Dickov can now return the favour and offer Mo an assistant managers job over there.....:D

:drum:

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm glad he's not coming, not so much because I feel he's past it, but because he turned TFC down twice we needed him. Why should the team give this guy the time of day? Find someone who actually wants to be here. There's plenty of decent League One and Championship cast offs out there looking for work.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-02-2010, 03:13 PM
im not entirely convinced we ever 'needed' him and that he would have contributed that much

maninb
06-02-2010, 03:18 PM
we needed a 38 year old striker like we needed a hole in the head....

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
^ TFC's has always needed a striker can who score. I think he might have been useful as a super sub. type player. I'd prefer we sign someone who has the potential to have a future with the team / game. I hope Matheson goes out a scores two goals tonight and TFC signs him.

bgnewf
06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
^ TFC's has always needed a striker can who score. ...I'd prefer we sign someone who has the potential to have a future with the team / game....

We have had, with all due respect, plenty of strikers that could score at TFC. Cunningham, Casey and Buddle come to mind as three who have gone on to prove it elsewhere. We could upgrade the overall quality of our strikers todsay but to me the missing piece is a true winger. Ever since Ronnie O'Brien back inyear one, we have never truly had a quality winger that that can stretch the pitch and make our attack less predictable.

[NBF]
06-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Maybe Morike Sako is headed to TFC that would be a major singing with a capital "M" wouldnt?

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-02-2010, 04:03 PM
He's available on a free, we could do worse.

trane
06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
We have had, with all due respect, plenty of strikers that could score at TFC. Cunningham, Casey and Buddle come to mind as three who have gone on to prove it elsewhere. We could upgrade the overall quality of our strikers todsay but to me the missing piece is a true winger. Ever since Ronnie O'Brien back inyear one, we have never truly had a quality winger that that can stretch the pitch and make our attack less predictable.

I agree that we never had a quality winger. I just would like to observe, and this is just that an observation, because it is not realy counter to what you are saying, that many clubs have less wingers, in the sence of midfield wing players, and realy on either the full backs or wide striker types to provide wide play. The point being, not so much that we could not use a good winger like O'Brien, but that you can poild a team without such players, that mostly your better "skilled" players would be in more central positions.

Cashcleaner
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Now, let us never speak of the name "Dicov" again.

A 37 year-old lamey bench-rider coming to TFC? Give your head a shake. The only thing more ridiculous then the very notion, is the number of people who thought it would have been a great signing for us.

Detroit_TFC
06-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Ok, I guess I'm glad he's not coming. He was a favorite of mine several years ago, but that was then, this is now.

BTW, we still need a striker.

MartinUtd
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Dickov was old, but still had pace and was a very scrappy player, the kind that thrive in MLS. I'm not saying he would have been any good, but I'd put him in before O'Brien White this season. Having said that, I'd much rather see a DP up front.

shutupkid
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Will we even bring in another striker in the transfer window now?

Shakes McQueen
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I don't ever want to hear about Dickov on here ever again. That's twice now that his name has been dangled out there, only to have him fuck off somewhere else.

- Scott

Blizzard
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't ever want to hear about Dickov on here ever again. That's twice now that his name has been dangled out there, only to have him fuck off somewhere else.

- Scott

At least this time he retired.

drewski
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
apparently he was never comin here, he NY was his destination :rolleyes:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Paul-Dickov-snubbed-Thierry-Henry-and-New-York-to-manage-Oldham-article454735.html