PDA

View Full Version : DC May Be Crap but They have a Bright Future

maninb
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Their brilliant Academy system has produced 8 players on the current senior roster...let's hope TFC can emulate such a success...

Oldtimer
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
DC is only crap now because they are in rebuilding mode and lack a first rate coach like they've had most of their existence.

For a team that plays in such a poor facility, they have managed to have the best supporters (I've always felt that the Barra Brava deserve respect) of one of the old pre-TFC MLS teams, and have won way more silverware than any other MLS club.

Their academy is one other example that TFC should learn from.

London
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
are those current 8 players all young?

if they are of varying ages , to me that does not look good on the academy as there team is sub-par.

Roogsy
06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
DC is a success story in this league, no matter the current results. Unfortunately, being a part of the birth and growth of this league has come at a price. They are grouped in with teams that have paid their dues through the tough times of the league but have not been able to enjoy the benefits. Columbus, Kansas and DC come to mind. These are all teams around at the beginning who are now facing struggles in variuos areas, such as the stadium issue in DC and a lack of attendance support in Clownbus and KC.

Parkdale
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I think that for all Mo's shortcomings, he does understand how essential it is to develop players though some kind of youth program. Hell, it's a profit center! You build one kid into a talented up-and-coming-star and that's worth more money than a year of seasons tickets.

Shakes McQueen
06-01-2010, 03:10 PM
On the bright side, TFC do seem committed to building a similar level of academy infrastructure, unlike some other MLS teams.

Can't wait to see what effect our new training facility has on TFC and the CMNT, when it is built.

- Scott

Macksam
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I think that for all Mo's shortcomings, he does understand how essential it is to develop players though some kind of youth program. Hell, it's a profit center! You build one kid into a talented up-and-coming-star and that's worth more money than a year of seasons tickets.
Yeah, TFC seem to be taking youth development seriously, which is a great thing.

J .
06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, TFC seem to be taking youth development seriously, which is a great thing.

Yeah great for everyone, TFC, CMNT and gets more money for MLSE so hopefully they continue to invest in the game.

Redcoe15
06-02-2010, 02:14 AM
DC is a success story in this league, no matter the current results. Unfortunately, being a part of the birth and growth of this league has come at a price. They are grouped in with teams that have paid their dues through the tough times of the league but have not been able to enjoy the benefits. Columbus, Kansas and DC come to mind. These are all teams around at the beginning who are now facing struggles in variuos areas, such as the stadium issue in DC and a lack of attendance support in Clownbus and KC.
I think there's a very real possibility they'll head up the road to Baltimore if there's a stadium deal waiting for them, if the stories are true.

If that happens, there will problably be a rebranding of the team.

Cashcleaner
06-02-2010, 06:48 AM
^ It's a shame they couldn't work anything out in and around Washington. I'm still adamant there are plenty of colleges and universities in the area that would likely be up for groundsharing, but I haven't heard anything further on this issue (aside from the prospect of Baltimore).

maninb
06-02-2010, 09:24 AM
are those current 8 players all young?

if they are of varying ages , to me that does not look good on the academy as there team is sub-par.

Most are under 23....they've got a couple of teenagers who are starters and are playing very well...

rocker
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
good for DC I guess.. but they have to be careful. the way that franchise is going they can't afford to rebuild for too long. And in MLS, young talent is good but it can mean your team will suck. You need a balance.

james
06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
DC sucks now, but they have won the most Championships in MLS....they had the first proper supporters group in MLS and still one of the best in MLS. They just need a new stadium and they will be in good shape.