PDA

View Full Version : TFC's starting backline?

ManUtd4ever
05-31-2010, 03:11 PM
We have now had a couple of months to evaluate most of the defenders on TFC's roster in various game situations and combinations. Attakora and Cann have proven to be arguably the most reliable tandem in TFC history as the starting central defenders. However our fullbacks are far from settled at this point.

Gargan has been the most consistent of the fullbacks thus far despite playing out of position and has been able to compensate for his lack of talent with solid positioning and raw determination. Hscanovics has displayed flashes of solid tackling ability and vision but lacks pace and misplays the ball too often. Usanov has impressive pace but is often caught out of position and is prone to fouls. Garcia is a heart attack waiting to happen as a CB but has been able to mitigate his errors somewhat as a LB. Harden probably has the most potential of all the fullbacks deployed thus far but hasn't been able to regain his form as a result of injuries.

Amongst Gargan, Hscanovics, Usanov, Garcia, and Harden, who do you feel the most comfortable with in the starting lineup on a consistent basis?

Gargan-Attakora-Cann-Harden is my preference...

TFC07
05-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Usanov-Attakora-Cann-Hscanovics

Gargan is more a midfielder to me.

Harden probably has the most potential of all the fullbacks deployed thus far but hasn't been able to regain his form as result of injuries.

Harden? I don't see how you rate him so highly. He hasn't impress me so far in his limited minutes in this season.

Whoop
05-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Only Attakora and Cann.

Usanov, Hscanovics, and Garcia all scare me.

TFC07
05-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Only Attakora and Cann.

Usanov, Hscanovics, and Garcia all scare me.

Agreed. In reality those 3 are bench players. We need a starter quality RB and LB.

ACSertL
05-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I like both Hscanovics and Usanov. When they start off the game with a few hard tackles it can really get into the heads of the attackers.

Without a doubt Attakora and Cann are locks in the middle.

ManUtd4ever
05-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Gargan is more a midfielder to me.

Harden? I don't see how you rate him so highly. He hasn't impress me so far in his limited minutes in this season.

I agree he hasn't shown much yet this season but he played well in his lone game as a LB before he got injured. I also think he has the greatest pedigree of our 3 LB options considering his defender of the year award with LA in 2008. I think if he is given consistent playing time he will prove to be more reliable than Hscanovics or Garcia...

trane
05-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I like both Hscanovics and Usanov. When they start off the game with a few hard tackles it can really get into the heads of the attackers.

Without a doubt Attakora and Cann are locks in the middle.

I very reluctantly agree with you. :(

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 05:10 PM
If I never see Usanov and Hscanovic on the field again I won't cry. Hscanovic in particular is quite possibly one of the worst defenders TFC has paid to play this sport. He's not even good enough to provide depth. Usanov on the other hand is ok to sit on the bench. Having said that, my starting 4 right now is the starting 4 that Preki has been going with as of late.

Gargan - Cann - Attakora - Garcia.

There is no doubt though that we need a LB badly.

brad
05-31-2010, 05:17 PM

Agree. Shame we shipped out Dunivant.

Super Cereal
05-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Agreed, and personally I'm a big Usanov and Hscanovics fan.

TFC_DeRo
05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Garcia-Garcia-Garcia-Garcia

Flashman
06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Garcia-Garcia-Garcia-Garcia

:yikes:

Darlofletch
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Number oooooone is Nicky G
Number two-oooo is Nicky G
Number threeeeee.......etc and etc

Darlofletch
06-01-2010, 01:13 PM
anyway, to answer the question, i'm happy with Usanov or gargan at rb. Less happily, I'd probably put Garcia ahead of Hscanovics at LB, but I'd say that that would one of the positions we really need an upgrade at. Haven't seen enough of Harden to know if that's him or not.

TFC Bhoy
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I'd go with Gargan RB but wouldn't be upset seeing Usanov in there, then as everyone says, our center is pretty secure in Cann and Attakora then I really do like Hscanovics. He can be a bit sloppy at times, but I do like him. Def take him over garcia personally

Luca
06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Hscanovics and Usanov?

Despite being rather nice guys, they're both awful fullbacks, the former even more so. He's probably one of the worst defenders we've had in some time.

Yes. Garcia.

TFC Via Buffalo
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Number oooooone is Nicky G
Number two-oooo is Nicky G
Number threeeeee.......etc and etc

We all Dread A Team Of Nicky G's

In his defense, he hasn't been "Let's start a riot, Garcia's on the field" bad like in the past.

Mikey
06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
In his defense, he hasn't been "Let's start a riot, Garcia's on the field" bad like in the past.

Well now he has the new improved skill and technique of crapping his pants and hoofing the ball into touch when approached one on one by any opposition player. There were a couple of back passes to Frei in the last game where Garcia apparently didn't see opposition players between him and Frei.

Isn't Garcia retiring at the end of this season?

Darlofletch
06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Hoofing the ball into touch is a very valid and correct decision at times, I have no problem seeing garcia do this rather than try something fancy, and maybe end up giving a goal away. Recognising your limitations and playing within them is a good thing for a defender.

TFC247
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
If I never see Usanov and Hscanovic on the field again I won't cry. Hscanovic in particular is quite possibly one of the worst defenders TFC has paid to play this sport. He's not even good enough to provide depth. Usanov on the other hand is ok to sit on the bench.
Forget about how bad they're, what boggles my mind is that we went through all that trouble to bring them from europe when there're plenty of Braz's to be had right here. Normally, you'd expect international slots to be filled out by the players who can be the top players in the squad. If not, then why bother?

It's not like Jimmy B or Todd Dunivant were costing us fortunes. Could've easily been one of the top back 4 in MLS.

maninb
06-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Usanov-Attakora-Cann-Hscanovics???

Usanov is decent going forward but both he a Hscanovics are TERRIBLE at defending 1v1...anybody with an ounce of pace kills these guys, and all's they're able to do is hack players down...Gargan & Harden are MUCH more reliable and safe than those 2...

poppamidnight
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
If I never see Usanov and Hscanovic on the field again I won't cry. Hscanovic in particular is quite possibly one of the worst defenders TFC has paid to play this sport. He's not even good enough to provide depth. Usanov on the other hand is ok to sit on the bench. Having said that, my starting 4 right now is the starting 4 that Preki has been going with as of late.

What the eff are you smokin??? (and/or huffing)

Garcia over them???...

I'll have what your on...cuz it's evidently good stuff.......

They are solid D-men.... Usanov can run wide... The only issue w/ the two is their hard tackles, which aren't nearly as bad as the "asking-for-straight-red" 'TEMPER TANTRUM' tackles from Saric....

Your post is quite possibly THE WORST POST i have ever seen on this forum....
Giving Garcia that much credit = Epic Fail :facepalm:

but back to OT... coming from someone not trippin' balls right now, i'd have to say:

Usanov + Cann + Nana + Gargan.... w/ Hsanovics as #5. I'd like to see Gomez in there as our CB sub (development+experience), but the injury I believe takes him out of discussion

Pachuco
06-02-2010, 06:37 PM
What the eff are you smokin??? (and/or huffing)

Garcia over them???...

I'll have what your on...cuz it's evidently good stuff.......

They are solid D-men.... Usanov can run wide... The only issue w/ the two is their hard tackles, which aren't nearly as bad as the "asking-for-straight-red" 'TEMPER TANTRUM' tackles from Saric....

Your post is quite possibly THE WORST POST i have ever seen on this forum....
Giving Garcia that much credit = Epic Fail :facepalm:

but back to OT... coming from someone not trippin' balls right now, i'd have to say:

Usanov + Cann + Nana + Gargan.... w/ Hsanovics as #5. I'd like to see Gomez in there as our CB sub (development+experience), but the injury I believe takes him out of discussion

I guess the same thing thing Preki's smoking :rolleyes:. When's the last time you saw Hscanovic play over Garcia? That should say enough. And you have me laughing out loud at your statement that Hscanovic and Usanov's only issue is their hard tackles. Shit you're right, they have no issues at all. They should probably be in the EPL right now instead of here :facepalm:.

Oh, and it's funny you call Hscanovic a solid D-Man but you just put a guy playing out position over Hscanovic on the left. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Luca
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Hscanovics and Usanov are terrible. Utterly fucking terrible.

Why can't people see this?

habstfc
06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I like both usanov and hscanovics, I don't think they are terrible at all. I like the fact that they are rough and tumble type players. It makes opposition forwards a little nervous knowing they might be "stood up" as my father used to say. They aren't the most skilled defenders but I think they are effective in what they do.

ag futbol
06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I think both of them are substitute level, neither are particularly good to start. Strange enough they both have similar problems. Both jump in too much, both make rash (and un-necessary) challenges. Usanov is a little better going forward and Hscanovics is slightly better holding the ball. Positionally they're both a step slow, but vastly superior to Wynne, and also Garcia who just stands 5 yards off his defender because he's concerned about getting beat for pace.

Stryker
06-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I've never seen Garcia slide tackle and only once jump for a header.
If he can't tackle and won't jump for a header what can he do?
To the best of my ability I've figured the only good Garcia does is make opposing players run an extra yard or two as the go around him.
That and clear the occassional loose ball. And we all know how he even fucks that up.

sashavukelich
06-04-2010, 02:16 AM
I personally rate Usanov miles ahead of 'big H', he's better in 'tight' situations and has improved pace and can actually attack.