PDA

View Full Version : Turd polishing

olegunnar
06-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Definition:

The act of trying to make something hopelessly weak and unattractive appear strong and appealing. An impossible process that usually results in a larger, uglier turd.

Example:

TORONTO FC HEAD COACH JOHN CARVER
On the game:
"I have to be honest, I'm grateful for a point. I'm grateful of a point because that might be the difference between getting into that playoff spot, and just missing out. It's games like that when you have to dig out a result. We've dug out a result here today because 15 minutes from the end I thought there was only going to be one team that wins it and it wasn't going to be us. So I have to give Kansas a lot of credit, they've come here to a difficult place with our record and they've played for the manager, they did a great job for the manager."

It's the KC Harry Potters not freaking Manchester United! Grateful at for a point at home against the cellar dwellers?...keep polishing!

What's next? Playing for a 0-0 against SJ because he's worried about their firepower?

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
We really need another thread on this? Don't we have like 2 or 3 already going?

How about I get the admins to create a whole new forum just for Carver.

MG42
06-21-2008, 08:41 PM
We really need another thread on this? Don't we have like 2 or 3 already going?

How about I get the admins to create a whole new forum just for Carver.

Roogsy, one reason to keep this one open...best thread title ever

olegunnar
06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
This is different because this is the guy trying to tell us it was a good result.
The other threads were us complaining...this is the coach trying to cover up his follies.

The other threads were about our thoughts on his screw up.

This is about him trying to deflect criticism and tell us the shit sandwich actually tasted good....did the other threads have quotes from the culprit?

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
did the other threads have quotes from the culprit?

Um...actually...yes they do.

Cambridge_Red
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
...I'll get me coat.

olegunnar
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Um...actually...yes they do.

Okay fair enough.
No worries....cabs on the way I'm outta here.

Very dissapointing.

If United drew at Old Trafford against reading it would be a shock.
If Real madrid drew at home against Murcia people would be pissed
If Inter were held at home to Parma it would make a lot of people ask questions.

Now were not at that level in MLS on the whole...but at home we are. It's amplified by the fact that we're so useless on the road.

Last place team...lost their last game 0-3 at home!!! and some people are trying to say we should be content with a tie??
No way. That's a loser mentality.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
That is a strawman argument olegunner.

Some people are indeed looking at the bright side (in general, not with this one game), me being one of them. But to say we are happy with a draw is misleading. I wasn't happy with it either, but to blame Carver and for some here to essentially call for him to leave is the dumbest thing I have heard.

If Sir Alex drew at home (which shockingly does happen!!! :eek: ) maybe people would be unhappy but nobody would be calling for his head or questioning his capabilities.

Let's keep things in perspective shall we?

And with regards to this thread...so you posted a quote which you didn't know was already being done elsewhere...but otherwise, even if it wasn't the case, is the general direction of the thread just a duplicate of the other threads anyways?