PDA

View Full Version : Dero for Striker!

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Alright guys,

I know we have discussed this briefly before, and most people seemed to disagree with me. So let's try a thread with a poll and see what you think.

Do you feel Dero is a striker on this team? and if we are looking for new players, would you look for a striker in order to move Dero to attacking mid.

I'm gonna say, people constantly overlook Dero as a striker, and he is the best striker we have ever had. Why mess with a good thing? he's putting a lot of balls in the net (1 goal behind the leader), he makes great runs (although he's offside too much for my liking) and he just seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time, all great attributes of a striker. He also has had some highlight assists at that position. The guy is averaging just about a goal per game. You'd be lucky to get that from a DP striker even if we were to sign one.

Soo..do you move Dero to attacking mid and find another striker, or do you keep Dero as striker and bring in another Guevara?

Eastend
05-31-2010, 09:37 AM
I said no as his natural position is mid and from what I remember he prefers mid. Gotta keep him happy. Your striker is not always your top scorer..."Ronaldo".

Oldtimer
05-31-2010, 09:39 AM
What's wrong with Barrett as striker?

DeRo is best roaming free in the mid. that's where he gets his goals and sets up others.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 09:42 AM
What's wrong with Barrett as striker?

DeRo is best roaming free in the mid. that's where he gets his goals and sets up others.

There's nothing wrong with Barrett as striker, if you didn't notice, we've been playing two strikers all year except for the debacle in Salt Lake.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
I said no as his natural position is mid and from what I remember he prefers mid. Gotta keep him happy. Your striker is not always your top scorer..."Ronaldo".

Sure, but Dero hasn't scored as many goals as he has now in his career. There is no guarantee he'll continue to score goals if you bring him to attacking mid.

I think everyone is nuts to mess with a guy who is scoring a goal a game in that position.

Oh and as for Dero liking that position better, I wish someone would ask him again. Now that he's 1 back of the top scorer and no to mention that person is leaving for the WC.

Dman81
05-31-2010, 09:45 AM
DeRo is a play maker... do we need to talk about this now ?

we are getting goals, wins, and it works.. he is great where he is, and we don't need to worry about what would work better or not work..

grass will always be greener at the other side

i personally would love to see ibrahim get more playing time and score some goals since the kid got talent..

MartinUtd
05-31-2010, 09:47 AM
I like Dero at striker but if we can get a Del Piero just imagine how badass our attack would be. You could pair Barret with the DP and have Dero behind them or out wide. Use OBW as your depth striker and deal Ibrahim unless he shows us he's worth keeping in the next two months.

Yohan
05-31-2010, 09:49 AM
DeRo is playing more of a trequartista role than playmaker. i like DeRo being able to do whatever he wants. seems Preki trusts DeRo to let him play whatever role he wants on the field

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 09:54 AM
I like DeRo in the free-roaming role as well. He creates havoc which creates opportunity not just for him.

trane
05-31-2010, 09:57 AM
DeRo is playing more of a trequartista role than playmaker. i like DeRo being able to do whatever he wants. seems Preki trusts DeRo to let him play whatever role he wants on the field

Agreed. But do be clear a trequartista is a 10, a creative attacking player, that is what De Ro is. He creates and finishes, depending what the opportunity provides. Playing him as an out and out striker limits his potential. Not a bad choice, clearly, just not the ideal choice.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 09:59 AM
I like DeRo in the free-roaming role as well. He creates havoc which creates opportunity not just for him.

But that's the position I'm talking about. Dero plays free-roaming, as a striker though. He plays up top, he doesn't play as a midfielder. Maybe we are all talking about the same thing. But the poll is pretty clear, keep Dero where he is (striker) or move him to the midfield. Where in Preki's system, he would be expecting to defend a little more. Think of where he played with Canada against Argentina. That's where he would end up. That's not where I think he should be.

He obviously thrives in the position he plays now.

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 10:01 AM
No "buts" hermano...I am agreeing with you! :D

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
No "buts" hermano...I am agreeing with you! :D

So we are the lonely two :). I can't believe people would tinker with Dero's role now when he's playing the way he is. I'm hoping Preki isn't thinking the same thing.

trane
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
^ I do not want him with great defensive duties. I would like him as the ss/am/trequartista in a 4-4-1-1, or the same in a 4-3-1-2. 4-4-1-1 is more what we seem to be playing at the moment.

trane
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
So we are the lonely two :). I can't believe people would tinker with Dero's role now when he's playing the way he is. I'm hoping Preki isn't thinking the same thing.

I think that what you said before may be right. People are talking about a similar role, but calling it differently, second stiker, AM, trequartista, can all be the same position. He is an attacking player first and formost. Sure even Eto'o is expected to defend, but those should not be a big part of his duties.

Darlofletch
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm happy with where De Ro is right now, I guess to some people that's a striker, I'd think of him as an attacking midfielder. I prefer having two strikers ahead of him, and i'd prefer to get someone else in to play with Barrett and have white as back up on bench.

I certainly wouldn't try and move him back into a more defensive midfield role, having said that, i'm quite happy with the amount of defending he currently does, dude is working hard.

Section 110
05-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Um, wherever the guy is happy is where he should be. At this rate, he's going to set a personal best for goals. Striker, attacking mid, keeper, wherever he wants to play, let him.

torontocelt
05-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Surely it depends on the player who would potentially be brought in? If it were a high calibre striker then of course I would say sign him. Also who is to say that Preki would not change his formation to accomodate Barrett plus the signing of 1 'high calibre striker' and play Dero as a central attacking midfielder? Managers can and do change their system to accomodate exceptional players, Preki would do the same if the player being brought in was a little bit special.

bigtfcfan
05-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Dero can't stay on-side, so use him in midfield please.

ManUtd4ever
05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
DeRo is a good striker and a superb attacking midfielder. No question he should play the majority of minutes at his natural position...

ilikemusic
05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
DeRo is second in the league in goals.

If it aint broke...

J .
05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
DeRo isnt a striker, he needs to sit behind the forwards and get into space. He is better wide than as a striker, even though he doesnt have the same pace.

razor787
05-31-2010, 12:32 PM
DeRo is much more useful as an attacking mid imo. He gets a boat load of goals, and he is a great playmaker. As an attacking mid, he will still be hitting the back of the net consistantly, but he will also be setting up Barrett on a regular basis as well.

I say sign another striker (someone decent, dont just bring someone in because it says striker beside there name) and let DeRo be a ACM.

Will make the team much more complete.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
im supporting whatever Preki has in motion it seems to be working and to be honest i wouldnt wanna see that fucked with

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Is this a record for lopsided posts? Yikes. I'm gonna start a Mo must go poll so that I don't look as bad. HAHA.

loconet
05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
I see DeRo as our Messi. He's good enough to bag tons of goals but more valuable and happy behind strikers.

BuSaPuNk
05-31-2010, 01:57 PM
DeRo plays better attacking from the midfield. If he was put up top with someone or by himself he would be marked by defenders alot more than he is.

He has the ablilty to get the ball almost uncontested most times and can take runs at the defense. That is his best ability to allow chances not only for himself but also to allow Barrett, OBW...whoever to roam forward as there are usually two defenders worrying about DeRo.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 02:02 PM
DeRo plays better attacking from the midfield. If he was put up top with someone or by himself he would be marked by defenders alot more than he is.

He has the ablilty to get the ball almost uncontested most times and can take runs at the defense. That is his best ability to allow chances not only for himself but also to allow Barrett, OBW...whoever to roam forward as there are usually two defenders worrying about DeRo.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

This post says it all. There is some serious confusion here as to what position Dero plays currently. If you ask me, he plays as an out and out striker with Preki's blessing to roam as he wishes. He does not line up or play as a midfielder. That's the way I see it atleast. He is consistently offside which tells you he is typically playing the defensive line of the opposing team. Attacking midfielder is what Guevara played. So having said that, I can't agree with your post at all. You are making it seem like Dero is playing Guevara's position from last year.

Dman81
05-31-2010, 02:18 PM
.. we still talkin about this ?

BuSaPuNk
05-31-2010, 02:35 PM
This post says it all. There is some serious confusion here as to what position Dero plays currently. If you ask me, he plays as an out and out striker with Preki's blessing to roam as he wishes. He does not line up or play as a midfielder. That's the way I see it atleast. He is consistently offside which tells you he is typically playing the defensive line of the opposing team. Attacking midfielder is what Guevara played. So having said that, I can't agree with your post at all. You are making it seem like Dero is playing Guevara's position from last year.

Guevara played more in the midfield and stayed there. Only to come up when the play was moving forward. DeRo like you said roams around and mostly in the between the midfeild and the strikers.

He more or less is always in a midfield position when the ball is in our end of the pitch. There for he is in the midfield but roams around in the area between the midfield and striker combo.

torontocelt
05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Guevara played more in the midfield and stayed there. Only to come up when the play was moving forward. DeRo like you said roams around and mostly in the between the midfeild and the strikers.

He more or less is always in a midfield position when the ball is in our end of the pitch. There for he is in the midfield but roams around in the area between the midfield and striker combo.

I see DeRo as a Frank Lampard type player who supports the front two and makes runs beyond if need be. Lampards and De
Ro's timing to get into the box and the knack of knowing where to be positionally is what gets these guys a lot of goals. Stan Petrov was the same way when he played at celtic. It is hard for defenders to pick these guys up because they are operating on instinct and vision.

trane
05-31-2010, 04:38 PM

Guevara for the most part stayed much further back then De Ro. De Ro plays somewere between were a Typical AM would be and just behid the CF. Guevara would come forward but be typicaly come up from a deeper position. I can remember only maybe 2 to 4 games, that Guevara played like a trequartista/SS/AM like De Ro does not, and that was mostly behind Dichio.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I see DeRo as a Frank Lampard type player who supports the front two and makes runs beyond if need be. Lampards and De
Ro's timing to get into the box and the knack of knowing where to be positionally is what gets these guys a lot of goals. Stan Petrov was the same way when he played at celtic. It is hard for defenders to pick these guys up because they are operating on instinct and vision.

So which two front players does Dero support when he's on the field?

torontocelt
05-31-2010, 07:16 PM
So which two front players does Dero support when he's on the field?

Well your question was what should tfc do, look for another striker and play dero behind or play dero as a striker and look for an attacking midfielder? I would say like I said earlier that it would depend entirely on who tfc could bring in as a striker. If TFC cannot bring in a guy who is a good striker and who can score goals then I would be happy for dero to stay as a striker, that much makes sense. If however tfc had the chance to bring in a guy with a proven track record who will score goals then I would move dero back. That is what I said earlier also.

As it is I would say TFC have a severe shortage of quality strikers and that is why DeRo is there in the first place. Barrett has upped his game and earned his place in the side but for me O'Brian White is too similar to Barrett and not as good either. TFC definitely need to bring in a striker rather than another midfielder in my opinion.

ArmenJBX
05-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Actually, right now, I'd only add another good backup striker behind Chad and OBW, and perhaps a left winger.

My preferred lineup is something like this

----------------------------Frei-------------------------------
Gargan--------Attakora--------------Cann-----------Hscanovics
-----------------JDG--------------LaBrocca-------------------
-----Peterson---------------------Will Johnson/Stepanovic?-----
------------------------De Rosario-----------------------------
---------------------Barret/OBW/Third striker?------------------

Mikey
05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Dero as striker? Not really..... DP? Hell yes.
Move over Deguzman, give up that cash you aint earning to DERO

FluSH
05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
I've never seen such a lopsided poll b4...sorry Pacheco... and I am truly thinking back here!

habstfc
05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Pachuco is right. WDR should be playing the striker role and he has been for the majority so far. Just because he's not up there cherry picking doesn't mean he isn't in the striker role. He actually plays the position unconventionally playing much shallower than most. The great thing about WDR is that he can play both positions quite effectively, he can play up high or drop down to help the midfield out in transition or to give relief to them if need be. I would like to see him play as an out and out striker but I don't get too bent out of shape if he plays in an ACM role.

FluSH
05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
but DeRo has even mentioned himself that he prefers playing back to the "strikers" to see the play develop and plan his course of action... that shit is pretty clear to me!

habstfc
05-31-2010, 08:22 PM
I voted WDR to play as a striker but if we could get a RINGER to play up front then I'd say drop WDR to midfield and let "the new guy" and barrett play up top.

jloome
05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Pachuco is right. WDR should be playing the striker role and he has been for the majority so far. Just because he's not up there cherry picking doesn't mean he isn't in the striker role. He actually plays the position unconventionally playing much shallower than most. The great thing about WDR is that he can play both positions quite effectively, he can play up high or drop down to help the midfield out in transition or to give relief to them if need be. I would like to see him play as an out and out striker but I don't get too bent out of shape if he plays in an ACM role.

I know what you're saying dude but that doesn't make sense. If you play striker "much shallower," you're not playingj striker, you're playing midfield in the hole.

habstfc
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Like I said, you don't have to be loafing up front to be in a striking position. As long as no other players are behind you up front you're still in the striker position. you're just not playing as high.

Flipityflu
05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
why fix whats not broken?

Luca
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
DeRo is second in the league in goals.

If it aint broke...

My thoughts exactly.

DoubleUp
06-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Dfensively we're solid, I just think skillfull Am/SS would take this team to the top someone with true poise,that reads the game well offensively!can dribble his man and can bag a goal or two.

torontocelt
06-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Like I said, you don't have to be loafing up front to be in a striking position. As long as no other players are behind you up front you're still in the striker position. you're just not playing as high.

I dont know what you are meaning? If no players are behind the striker then the striker must be playing in goal? Did you mean as long as there is no one in front of the striker? If the furthest player up the pitch is playing deep then that will force the rest of the team to play deep which basically means you are playing defensive and letting teams come at you. From what you have said I have visions of when a team is a goal up and for the last 20 mins they sit in to defend the goal. Some teams are happy to play like this but they are normally fantastic in defence and can play a good counter attacking football. I would not recommend this for TFC.

What you may be talking about is a forward rather than a striker. Astriker plays further up the pitch than a forward and their main job is to score goals. Forwards are more about running into space and creating chances, their goals per game ratio is not as good but they have more to their game than just goals although goals win you games.

Pachuco
06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
why fix whats not broken?

See, here lies the problem with the poll. When I think of what isn't broken it's Dero playing as striker. I don't remember a single game where Dero wasn't playing up top with either Barrett or OBW. I don't remember seeing a single game where Barrett and OBW were on the field at the same time with Dero on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Dero IS a striker and that's where Preki has him lined up. Yes he drops back sometimes, but so does Barrett. They both are freem to roam and I think they do a good job of mixing up who drops back and who stays up. When he's playing with OBW then he does tend to drop back more but that's because OBW doesn't have that in his game.

So my entire basis on this poll was keep Dero as striker (since I believe that's the role he's playing right now) and let's stop overlooking Dero as the best striker we have ever had.

And as for Dero not wanting to play striker, last time I heard that was a long time ago, 2nd in the league in goals and bagging lots of goals may have very well changed his opinion. I'd like to see someone ask Dero right now if he enjoys playing the position he's playing (whether you call it striker or forward).

trane
06-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I think I am going to start my own poll; should Attakora play Center-Back or Center-Half?

What do you think?

Darlofletch
06-01-2010, 09:22 AM
See, here lies the problem with the poll. When I think of what isn't broken it's Dero playing as striker. I don't remember a single game where Dero wasn't playing up top with either Barrett or OBW. I don't remember seeing a single game where Barrett and OBW were on the field at the same time with Dero on the field. As far as I'm concerned, Dero IS a striker and that's where Preki has him lined up. Yes he drops back sometimes, but so does Barrett. They both are freem to roam and I think they do a good job of mixing up who drops back and who stays up. When he's playing with OBW then he does tend to drop back more but that's because OBW doesn't have that in his game.

So my entire basis on this poll was keep Dero as striker (since I believe that's the role he's playing right now) and let's stop overlooking Dero as the best striker we have ever had.

And as for Dero not wanting to play striker, last time I heard that was a long time ago, 2nd in the league in goals and bagging lots of goals may have very well changed his opinion. I'd like to see someone ask Dero right now if he enjoys playing the position he's playing (whether you call it striker or forward).

That's happened a bunch of times so far, and in my opinion that's when we've looked best, the chicago game for example.

I'd say the reason the poll looks so skewed is how it was phrased, i think most people would agree with keeping De Ro where he is right now rather than moving him further back in the formation, which is what you're really asking, It's just that most people would currently call him an attacking midfielder rather than a striker.

trane
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
^ Exatamundo. It is all in the nomenclature.

Fort York Redcoat
06-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Ya DeRo is and Attacking Mid that likes to move up. Strikers that drop back don't have the same responsibility and expectations. To call him a Striker and tell him "stay up there" will limit his role and take him out af what is surely his comfort zone.

torontocelt
06-01-2010, 10:21 AM

I think the problem is the way the question was asked. You asked if we should stop looking for a striker since DeRo has moved up front and I think the majority of the people believe that we should bring in a striker if he is proven and move dero back to attacking midfield. There is no doubt dero has been playing further up the pitch than normal however based on what we have seen from dero in the past he is an attacking midfielder, that is why people associate him in that position.

P-NUTZ
06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
funny that most of deros goals are him anticipating and breaking through the centre, and beating the the goalie just inside the top of the box one on one usually. so he seems to want to be able to strike through the middle. He knows the game so well and can beat most anyone to the ball with his insticts and jump. not to take away from his great set-ups from the outside and midfield, but he seems to want to float up front and cetre-ish. thats striker. thats him right now.