PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,May,31

denime
05-31-2010, 05:32 AM
Mornin'

Preki Postgame TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1963)

Heady days for TFC (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/05/30/dobson_heady/)

The gambler wins (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/05/30/johnston_salute/)

Promise translates to points for TFC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/promise-translates-to-points-for-tfc/article1585919/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

shutupkid
05-31-2010, 05:54 AM
I can't believe I have to work on a Saturday.

pekduck
05-31-2010, 06:22 AM
morning D.

Hooligan69
05-31-2010, 06:42 AM
The date is wrong. Today is Monday. ;)

Oldtimer
05-31-2010, 08:03 AM
The date is wrong. Today is Monday. ;)

Fixed the date.

Oldtimer
05-31-2010, 08:05 AM
TFC continue to impress

http://torontofc.theoffside.com/uncategorized/tfc-continue-to-impress.html

scooter
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
mornin d

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
"No doubt there were some raised eyebrows when head coach Preki elected once again to start Dwayne DeRosario and Julian DeGuzman on the substitute's bench. Unlike the last time he tried it, and subsequently admitted it didn't work in a 2-1 loss to Real Salt Lake"
This is trully shoddy reporting from Dobson. Forrest was saying the same thing saturday night during the game. The debacle in Salt Lake did not happen because Dero and Deguz were on the bench. IT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF THE TACTICS EMPLOYED. There was a huge difference in the formation in this game, we were playing 2 strikers up top and way more attacking minded. Real Salt Lake had Barett running like a chicken with his head cut off because he was the lone striker and everyone's menatility was to go out there and defend. Sooo... Preki obviously learned from the game and employed new tactics. I wouldn't expect Gerry to be smart enough to understand that. He's so dense that he thinks both games employed the same strategy.

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
"No doubt there were some raised eyebrows when head coach Preki elected once again to start Dwayne DeRosario and Julian DeGuzman on the substitute's bench. Unlike the last time he tried it, and subsequently admitted it didn't work in a 2-1 loss to Real Salt Lake"
This is trully shoddy reporting from Dobson. Forrest was saying the same thing saturday night during the game. The debacle in Salt Lake did not happen because Dero and Deguz were on the bench. IT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF THE TACTICS EMPLOYED. There was a huge difference in the formation in this game, we were playing 2 strikers up top and way more attacking minded. Real Salt Lake had Barett running like a chicken with his head cut off because he was the lone striker and everyone's menatility was to go out there and defend. Sooo... Preki obviously learned from the game and employed new tactics. I wouldn't expect Gerry to be smart enough to understand that. He's so dense that he thinks both games employed the same strategy.

QFT

The only similarities between the two games is the two stars on the bench. Otherwise, completely different mindset and strategy.

keem-o-sabi
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
coed ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/31/miss-coed-priscilla-caripan/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/30/miss-coed-louise-cliffe/)

:)

Redcoe15
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
From Coed #1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/31/miss-coed-priscilla-caripan/491a4aa47e3f3/)

Hot chicks in skimpy country girl attire never fail to turn me on! :yum: :drool5: :hump: :D

Yagbod
05-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Stupidest rule ever!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/05/31/ottawa-gloucester-dragons-soccer-point.html

Ottawa soccer league awards victory to team if it loses by more than 5 goals. No kidding.

WestStandGeoff
05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Stupidest rule ever!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/05/31/ottawa-gloucester-dragons-soccer-point.html

Ottawa soccer league awards victory to team if it loses by more than 5 goals. No kidding.

Absolutely retarded. I'm waiting for the follow-up piece where a team losing by 5 pots an OG to secure the win.

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Stupidest rule ever!!!

And this is why Canada is a LONG way off from developing anything resembling a global soccer star.

Imagine a rule like this in hockey? It would have stifled an up and coming Gretzky.

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Absolutely retarded. I'm waiting for the follow-up piece where a team losing by 5 pots an OG to secure the win.

How about just stopping the game?

Steve
05-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Stupidest rule ever!!!

W...T...F

Alright, I'm getting sick of this "winning makes someone feel bad!" approach to life our society seems to be stuck in. Between this and "let's not keep score, we're just here for fun" I think we've taken a wrong turn somewhere. Sorry but, since when has competition been a bad thing? It's like we're telling our kids to stop being ambitious, or stop trying. That is completely retarded. How about we teach kids to compete, but to be good sports about it? How about we teach kids to play their hearts out, but to win or lose gracefully? How is removing competition from their lives completely going to serve them in the future?

For this specific rule, how would you like to be on the opposing team (the kid has a good point)? Frankly, if I'm losing 6-0, I want my opponent to still be going all out. That lets me know he respects me as a player, since it sends the message that if they don't go all out, you might catch up and win. If a team decides to slack off, pass it around, never shoot, and generally shows off (or shoots with the wrong foot, changes positions, etc, like the article suggests) I would be PISSED as an opposing player. Essentially they are sending the message that I'm not good enough to be on the same pitch as them.

Also, anyone remember that addidas ad on TV about impossible is nothing (the "16-0") ad? Those kids were overjoyed when they scored one goal, as well they should have been. Would that goal have been as powerful if the other team was dicking around because they couldn't try anymore? I don't think so.

Alarius
05-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Lol, I love this comment..

The next time a political party wins an election with more than say, a six seat majority, then they will be declared losers of the election and the party with the next highest number of seats wins.

WestStandGeoff
05-31-2010, 01:53 PM
How about just stopping the game?

Or officially score the match a 5-goal victory. Lots of other options that don't penalize a team for winning by too much.

As many of the comments at the bottom of the article suggest, it's far more insulting to have your opponents dick around with the ball for 20 minutes since they can't score without losing, instead of playing a hard-fought match and losing by 10.

And since it's a recreational league, the administration can just as easily reassign players from stong teams to weak ones in order to create balance.

Stouffville_RPB
05-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Score on yourself 5 times for the automatic W!

TFCUNITED
05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
And this is why Canada is a LONG way off from developing anything resembling a global soccer star.

Imagine a rule like this in hockey? It would have stifled an up and coming Gretzky.

If this was for hockey, this wouldn't happen because of the backlash that would occur.

El Diego
05-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Score on yourself 5 times for the automatic W!

If I was a manager of a team in that league I would do that.

[NBF]
05-31-2010, 03:22 PM

If by "tactics" you mean player selection and readyness of course he was wrong versus Salt Lake.

TFC Vs. Real Salt Lake:

--------------------------Frei-----------------------------
Gargan------Attakora-------------Cann--------Hscanovics
----------------------------------------------------------
LeBrocca---Sanyang--------------Saric------------Joseph
-------------White---------------Barrett------------------

TFC Vs. San Jose(Saturday):

Gargan------Attakora-------------Cann--------------Garcia
Peterson----Sanyang--------------Saric----------LeBrocca

Carts
05-31-2010, 03:41 PM
San Jose vs Toronto FC

SNet Ontario = 31,000
SNet West = 27,000
---------------------
Total = 58,000

bgnewf
05-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Weathering The Storm – TFC Gets a Solid Grade 10 Games Into The 2010 MLS Season

I take a look at Toronto FC's season a third of the way through the MLS schedule, compare it to where the club was at the same point in 2009 and draw some conclusions from the data, including an overall grade on the results so far.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/weathering-the-storm-%e2%80%93-tfc-gets-a-solid-grade-10-games-into-the-2010-mls-season/ (http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/weathering-the-storm-%e2%80%93-tfc-gets-a-solid-grade-10-games-into-the-2010-mls-season/)
__________________________________________________ ___

I have been saying on this forum for weeks now that the stretch of games that Toronto FC has been playing in May that end with the home tie against Kansas City Wizards on Saturday would be a defining period for the club and for its fortunes this season. And I think that after the pre and early season upheavals the club has come through this difficult stretch somewhat better off than most would have thought possible. And to top off an excellent month Toronto has already locked up the Canadian Club Championship with a game to spare and will be receiving the Voyageurs Cup on home turf this Wednesday Evening.

This last hectic month has seen the emergence of the “Preki” style of tight organized defence paired up with quick counters. The much talked partnership between Adrian Cann and Nana Attakora has been the best defensive pairing in the short history of the club. Dwayne De Rosario is near the top in league scoring and Chad Barrett appears to be finding his confidence. However before we collectively start getting ahead of ourselves and queuing up for playoff tickets I think that some perspective is in order regarding where the club is vis-à-vis where we were at the same point in 2009. Here are some numbers worth considering.

Wins Losses Draws Points Conversion
2009 Home Record 2 2 2 44%
2010 Home Record 4 0 0 100%

2009 Away Record 1 1 2 42%
2010 Away Record 1 4 1 22%

2009 Totals after 10 games 3 3 4 43%
2010 Totals after 10 games 5 4 1 53%

The largest difference between 2009 and 2010 is the ongoing development of BMO Field as a true fortress, with no points dropped in 2010. Six home games into the 2009 season and TFC had already dropped 10 out of 18 points on offer at home. And with the next four league games at home this season TFC has a real chance to solidify a grasp on a playoff spot.

Now this season, after going 0-4 on the road to start, Toronto has earned a draw and a win in the last two games to perhaps lay the foundation for building a better 2010 overall away record. If you write the first two away games this season off, where new players were literally showing up almost daily, then the away record for 2010 would be slightly better than 2009 at the same point in time.

Goals for and against are slightly ahead for 2010 in comparison to the same point last season. In 2009 after 10 games the club has scored 13 goals and conceded 15. In 2010 the totals currently stand at 15 for and 14 against. However these numbers in and of themselves only tell part of the story. In the first five games this season Toronto conceded 10 goals and have only conceded four goals in the last five. In the first five games of 2010 Toronto scored six goals, & of course they have almost doubled their output by potting nine in the past five league games. In three Voyageurs Cup ties the team has booked three clean sheets and scored three goals in the three games played to notch up two more victories and a draw.

An interesting comparison point between the 2009 and 2010 versions of Toronto FC is in the discipline department. After 10 games in 2009 the team had amassed 12 yellow cards and zero red card offenses. In 2010 the yellows have doubled to 24 and we have had one red card (Maxim Usanov’s second yellow card, a “professional foul” if there ever was one, against the LA Galaxy in injury time). This is of course part of the style of play the club has bought into under Preki and also reflects the type of player the club has been bringing in. In a previous post I said that Toronto appears to be building the type of club that opponents would absolutely hate to play against. And I think it is no surprise that this more aggressive style of play has been coincided with the emergence of the Cann/Attakora center back pairing.

So what conclusions can we draw from a brief look at the data?

· The team has bought into the defensive philosophy of their new coach. TFC plays a demonstratively harder nosed style of play that is paying off in the results department, especially over the last 7-8 games.
· Our strikers have only accounted for 40% of our goal output in league play this season. This needs to improve if the club has serious plans to challenge for honours as the year wears on. DeRo is responsible for 53% of our scoring this season and only White, Labrocca and Barrett have scored as well. Division leaders Columbus have had eight players get on the score-sheet in 2010, doubling TFC’s number as a point of comparison. Reliance on one individual for most of your goal output is a very dangerous tactic.
· If TFC misses the playoffs by a point or two this season, Mo Johnston will of course have to answer for the lateness in assembling his total squad for the 2010 campaign, especially considering how poorly TFC played in those first two matches. This style of team management has been a fair point of criticism for Mo since Day 1.
· If Toronto can continue to play the quality of game they have been playing on the road that they have shown in May, arguably the toughest section of their entire 2010 season schedule, then they will set themselves up for an excellent chance to make the playoffs. Seven of the next ten league games are at home, where the team has excelled and three are away. The last third of the season will be very difficult sees four games at home and six away.

So the club has weathered the first significant rough patch of the 2010 schedule relatively well. The run from early June through the World Cup and into late August is the part of the schedule where TFC needs to keep up what has been successful to this point in order to establish themselves as a playoff club as the run in is going to be very difficult from Labour Day until the end of the season.

If I was going to give the club a grade on the first third of the 2010 season I think they deserve a B-. They have holes to fill and issues to address, but for the most part they have over-achieved, bought into a new coaching philosophy, and finally found the type of on field character that the club has been missing for most of its history.

And now the club gets to have some fun on Wednesday night. More on the Voyageurs Cup tomorrow.

Flipityflu
05-31-2010, 03:54 PM

not just soccer, but competitve sports in general. i would have thought that after our success in the Olympics that fueling a competitve nature in our kids would have been a postive venture.

i forgot what country i live in i guess. Canada, home of the polite underachiever.

Darlofletch
05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
;1046717']If by "tactics" you mean player selection and readyness of course he was wrong versus Salt Lake.

TFC Vs. Real Salt Lake:

Gargan------Attakora-------------Cann--------Hscanovics
LeBrocca---Sanyang--------------Saric------------Joseph

TFC Vs. San Jose(Saturday):

Gargan------Attakora-------------Cann--------------Garcia
Peterson----Sanyang--------------Saric----------LeBrocca

against salt lake, we had 5 in midfield with nane joseph instead of White, usanov instead of gargan and gargan instead of peterson, but you were almost right!

ecospice
05-31-2010, 04:14 PM
DeRo was just named MLS player of the week.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/05/31/sp-mls-derosario-award.html

Kaz
05-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Stupidest rule ever!!!

This is what happens when you let people that were horrible at sports run leagues.

I won three trophies in my life (wasn't really into sports growing up) one was one of those stupid participation trophies, one was a consolidation trophy for soccer, and the last was 3rd place in Cross Country. Only the Cross Country one, which was hard fought do I still have on display.

(just to clarify I did win a few dozen first and second ribbons in school competitions)

Kids want real memories not fake trophies that mean nothing.
I may not have liked losing 20 to 2 when playing T-ball but I learned, i suck at T-ball, from that I realized I did good at cross country, and until my knees were gone I was damn good at it. This system dosen't teach kids they suck and either need to get better or try something else.

v00d00daddy
05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
I think its stupid to penalize a team for being better than another team but I agree with the sentiment in the rule.

I hate teams that run up the score. I'm talking about a team that is head and shoulders above their opponent and still keeps pressing. Its clasless.

And for those of you who say that you prefer a team to keep coming hard, even if you're losing by a lot because it shows that they "respect" you......pfff. They don't respect you if they're happy scoring goals at will on you.

I saw a great (horrible) example of this in the World Juniors in hockey this past year. Canada was up on Latvia by something like 10 goals in the third period and they were still going all out. Running up the score and literally running over players with their hits.

This is supposed to make them look good or make fans support them?

No thanks.

I think a team that dribbles out the game after its out of touch is showing class. Sometimes two teams don't belong on the same field together. If I'm on the much better team it doesn't take me 6, 7, 8 goals to figure out that we're better. Once you get into those kinds of numbers you're just gloating and self felating.

Stupid rule...right idea.

Carts
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
I saw a great (horrible) example of this in the World Juniors in hockey this past year. Canada was up on Latvia by something like 10 goals in the third period and they were still going all out. Running up the score and literally running over players with their hits.

This is supposed to make them look good or make fans support them?

No thanks.

I don't like teams who run up the score either, but in defence of Canada - goal differential is a tie-breaker in the tournament...

Anytime goal differencial is a tie-breaker, you can't really fault a team for continuing to score, especially in a short tournament like the world juniors...

Its just one reason why I hate goal differential as a tie breaker...

Carts...

sidvan
06-01-2010, 04:06 AM
I suppose Canada should have OG'd against Argentina for the win