PDA

View Full Version : Preki Approval Rating - June 2010

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 02:08 PM
How do you feel at the current moment about Preki...

Just some guidelines to those who are on the fence:
1. Its how you feel at the moment, not a final assessment. Like a marathon, this is just a snapshot of our support at this point in time. A low approval rating does not rate him as an overall failure, just like a high approval rating does not mean he's Sir Alex Ferguson.
2. Whatever factors or metrics your feel are most important to you in the coaching position, use those to guide you (i.e. if you wish for Preki to be judged on the long-term, then the question is "Do you approve of the job Preki has done thus far?")

For the sake of context, this is how he / TFC have preformed in the past month:
May 8 - W vs Chicago 4-1
May 12 - W @ Montreal 0-1 (NCC)
May 15 - D @ LA 0-0
May 19 - D @ Vancouver 0-0 (NCC)
May 22 - W vs New England 1-0
May 29 - W @ San Jose 1-3

Preki Approval Rating April 2010 - 67.2% (127 yes / 189 total) http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...Preki+Approval (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21405&highlight=Preki+Approval)
Preki Approval Rating May 2010 - 69.8% (155 yes / 222 total) http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...Preki+Approval (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22293&highlight=Preki+Approval)

Preki Approval Rating Season To-Date - 68.6% (282 yes / 411 total)

ManUtd4ever
05-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Although I haven't agreed entirely with all of his roster decisions, Preki has done a masterful job during a difficult schedule with limited assets in molding this group into what is arguably the hardest working club in the MLS. Preki has earned my trust and definitely has my approval...

Super
05-30-2010, 02:58 PM
You can't argue with results. Preki is on a roll, and the votes reflect our trust in him.

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
You can't argue with results. Preki is on a roll, and the votes reflect our trust in him.

I agree with you for the most part, but short-term results are only part of the story. If we're getting dominated and score an injury time goal to tie things (i.e. Canada's goal vs. Venezuela yesterday), that doesn't really rate well for their coach. Tactics during the game, the attitude / demanour of the players and other stuff are all variables that a coach can influence that can affect a game.

That being said, the results are a nice indicator of Preki's influence on the team.

J .
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Its only May still, but Ill bite :P

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 04:13 PM
^ yeahhhh i forgot that may has 31 days...:facepalm: to myself

Darlofletch
05-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm still yes. This is the sort of team I thought we'd end up as, solid, difficult to break down, and if we've got our best players playing, then dangerous up front as well. Didn't think we'd be there this quickly.

Fantastic may, hope it continues.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-30-2010, 06:11 PM
day 1 i had faith..... SYSTEM FOOTBALL ...end oF!

Razcle
05-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Results are key. Especially when he is resting seemingly stronger players when they need rest. Having depth will become crutial when we play in the CCL, and I think Preki has shown us that we have more then 11 players that can make an impact.

Darlofletch
05-30-2010, 06:40 PM
After last night's game, i was looking forward to this, but still, 2 days early? I guess you just couldn't wait.

anyway, just a suggestion but it might be worth, in your original post, linking to the threads for april and may, so we can easily see who's staying consistent, or eating their words and changing their vote.

jabbronies
05-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Its only May still, but Ill bite :)

Agreed. For now, I approve. Ask me again in September.

anyway, just a suggestion but it might be worth, in your original post, linking to the threads for april and may, so we can easily see who's staying consistent, or eating their words and changing their vote.

good idea. here they are:

May
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22293&highlight=Preki+Approval

April
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21405&highlight=Preki+Approval

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 06:54 PM
After last night's game, i was looking forward to this, but still, 2 days early? I guess you just couldn't wait.

I got exams all week, I forgot May had 31 days and I'm an idiot. :D

Good suggestion, updated the original post

Oldtimer
05-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Let's not embarrass someone who's changed their mind. April's results were terrible due to the late roster changes, people will vary in how long it takes for Preki to change their mind.

Also, there were those who disagreed with evaluating a coach until he had at least 10 games, they may be voting now.

denime
05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
"Preki regime" is definitely working,I'm sure now Chivas fans would like to have Preki back.

ensco
05-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not sold. Sure, things are looking up, but Dero is the reason they are where they are. His season has been unbelievable, sensational, incredible, you name it. He is carrying everybody. Where is the Dero for MLS MVP thread?!

Preki is way too remote. I don't think it works for any length of time. His act with the media is amusing but supercilious.

The players do try hard for him (they fear him!), but still there are tons of breakdowns.

We have been more lucky than good. I can think of four wins that could have been draws or losses. How many games have we deserved to win, but drawn or lost? (If you think this is the mark of a good coach, my answer is, that won't work over any length of time, the odds catch up with you).

Results of this poll simply reflect how far expectations fell in the offseason and through the first five games, and are also a reflection of how good Preki looks in comparison to Carver or Cummins.

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Let's not embarrass someone who's changed their mind. April's results were terrible due to the late roster changes, people will vary in how long it takes for Preki to change their mind.

Also, there were those who disagreed with evaluating a coach until he had at least 10 games, they may be voting now.

Completely agree. I'm hoping that people check out the old threads for contextual bases (why people rated Preki lower / higher, see if earlier critiques were rectified or are still outstanding)

Roogsy
05-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I am not sold on Preki yet either. The past month has had great results yes and you can't argue against them. And frankly, Preki at the moment is looking like a better choice the the coaches we have had so far. But I still have the same reservations I had at the beginning of the year.

CoachGT
05-30-2010, 07:54 PM
"Preki regime" is definitely working,I'm sure now Chivas fans would like to have Preki back.

Chivas fans wanted him gone when they were in first place last year. I sincerely doubt they'd want him back under any circumstances.

justin
05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
i knew from the start that under preki this team would work hard, i just didn't think these kind of results would be possible. but hard work certainly does pay off, and he's now beginning to do here what he did with an under talented chivas squad.

Shakes McQueen
05-30-2010, 08:10 PM
I approve of the job he's doing - you can ascribe our success to DeRo, or whoever you want, but the fact is we are getting results. Barrett is playing superbly, he has managed to give us a decent defense for the first time in four years, he has managed to mold Garcia into a solid contributor, and we were undefeated all month.

Coaching is all about results, and right now we are getting results. How could you not approve of him right now?

- Scott

prizby
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
u forget to add the loss to RSL on May 1

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I approve of the job he's doing - you can ascribe our success to DeRo, or whoever you want, but the fact is we are getting results. Barrett is playing superbly, he has managed to give us a decent defense for the first time in four years, he has managed to mold Garcia into a solid contributor, and we were undefeated all month.

Coaching is all about results, and right now we are getting results. How could you not approve of him right now?

- Scott

Its hard to disagree with what you're saying, but Preki's not perfect. Preki's squads struggled against the NCC teams. We've been lucky to have the results we've had because of the massive pressure in the final third within the final few minutes (which is more of a defensive accomplishment than a coaching one). The finishing at times has been suspect.

People are definitely validated in not approving of Preki yet. But you do make valid points

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
u forget to add the loss to RSL on May 1

I included that result to the previous month, and created the last thread immediately after the RSL result.

Cashcleaner
05-30-2010, 08:42 PM
I absolutely have faith in Preki. And in all honesty, I never really doubted him despite the slow start to the season. The roster needed to be restructured and it was. The team needed a new direction in tactics and strategy and we got exactly that.

As far as I can see, Preki is doing exactly what he said he would and we are now a competitive club because of it.

rocker
05-30-2010, 09:16 PM
the thing with De Ro is that the "2009 De Ro" was a ball hog who tried to do everything himself (shoot at any distance, often over the goal... not pass to teammates, go offside a million times). I criticized him for this, as it was very successful in terms of personal stats, but one man couldn't lead the team to the playoffs. but it seems this year he's much more trusting in his teammates and Preki has him working within a system... so he's successful but it doesn't feel like he's taking chances away from anymore or lacks trust in anyone. that's coaching right there I think (and identifying players for the system). Preki was adamant that certain guys be gone (Gerba, Robbo, etc.) And I think that's cuz Preki knows exactly what he needs and doesn't need.

canadian_bhoy
05-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Pleased to see the team doing well. But can't help but think of this old Jock Stein Quote.

"I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win."

I just wish Preki would play more football and less anti-football.

Shakes McQueen
05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Pleased to see the team doing well. But can't help but think of this old Jock Stein Quote.

"I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win."

I just wish Preki would play more football and less anti-football.

I don't care what style we play, as long as it produces results, and the games are reasonably entertaining, which they have been.

I think accusing the team of playing anti-football is probably a little unfair too. We've been more defense oriented, but have also produced more quality chances on goal than we did last year. We had the opportunity to hang 4, or even 5 on San Jose last night.

- Scott

TorCanSoc
05-30-2010, 10:03 PM
I wonder what Ali Gerba has to say about this now?

Shakes McQueen
05-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I wonder what Ali Gerba has to say about this now?

Yeah, his whining about training sure seems prescient now, eh?

- Scott

James17930
05-31-2010, 12:52 AM
This is just pure speculation on my part, but:

It could be that Preki's biggest strength so far has been his willingness to change. We've heard all the stories from Chivas about him running players into the ground, and we heard about pre-season this year being tough, and we know there was 'disquiet' between him and some of the players at that time.

But now look. Everything has completely turned around. My theory is that someone sat down with him and basically made him accept the Paul Winsper-inspired training and fitness program. So training is ball-focused and only intense when it needs to be, and the players are still doing re-generation sessions after each game, etc.

Plus, I think we'd all have to agree that Preki's rotational policiy has pretty much worked so far, with only a few hiccups here and there.

So maybe since Preki has been willing to adapt himself a bit to the TFC way of doing things, the players have been willing to adapt their game to his system, and this meeting in the middle has produced the great results we've had so far.

Again, obviously I have no actual idea about this -- just my thoughts on it.

DichioTFC
05-31-2010, 01:13 AM

It could be that Preki's biggest strength so far has been his willingness to change. We've heard all the stories from Chivas about him running players into the ground, and we heard about pre-season this year being tough, and we know there was 'disquiet' between him and some of the players at that time.

But now look. Everything has completely turned around. My theory is that someone sat down with him and basically made him accept the Paul Winsper-inspired training and fitness program. So training is ball-focused and only intense when it needs to be, and the players are still doing re-generation sessions after each game, etc.

Plus, I think we'd all have to agree that Preki's rotational policiy has pretty much worked so far, with only a few hiccups here and there.

So maybe since Preki has been willing to adapt himself a bit to the TFC way of doing things, the players have been willing to adapt their game to his system, and this meeting in the middle has produced the great results we've had so far.

He drove our previous captain into the ground lol... Preki mentioned recently we have the second youngest squad in the league so there can easily be a high level of regeneration, and the players that might not be able to recover as easily (DeRo & JDG, due to their ages and accumulative minutes over the years) are playing 45' games with greater frequency.

To add on to the rotational policy is the halftime experiment that Preki has instituted. Every player wants to start, and DeRo / JDG are clearly fine coming off the bench (lengthens their careers). It failed in its first implementation @ RSL, but since then its been brilliant IMO. Mainly the added inspiration that it provides to the role players... essentially the better you play, the more time you get, the more often you'll start. Players like get to be starters and if they suck, they get removed for DeRo and JDG.

Inswingingwingman
05-31-2010, 07:04 AM
I love how things are going. I'm in agreement with the holding the stars out for a bit at the start of the game, as long as no one gets their nose out of joint over it. When you end up down 3 nil, you just sit the guy for the next game. Hasn't happened yet, I was very happy last game when he dropped in the 2 star subs, because we had a good chance to get an away win. I think many people, like I, felt that game was going to be a really tough one, and was prepared to see us down 2 nil at half time.

Now we have a team that is gelling. Management has control over many crazy things that the rest of us may never know about. Big spreads of awesome food, limos to events, tickets to shows, and making players feel very special. They can spend bucks on non contract things, which add value to the program at the end of the day. This includes the best medical care, and well imagine the rest.

Players talk, and even if they are the low guys on the roster, when they are treated like stars with perks (I don't mean coddle here), they will respond.

As one of those fans who has to hear the game, sits looking for feeds, and even moves my big hi def tv downstairs beside the direct cable feed so the game won't pixelate I look forward to the day I'm better, the sun is shining, and I can actually go and enjoy a game rather than spend 3 days trying to warm up after the game. I wouldn't trade that first game last year for anything, but to be honest, I do want to see the new pitch, stands, and hear the supporters, because the tv station sound guys have total control over what you hear or don't hear....

The other thing TFC management should do is promote a day for 'Balkans', they'd have to talk to Preki, but my local Serbian/Montenegro/Croatian community buddies (lots of them) are fanatical in their support. It's almost like if you get the chance, stick one of those guys on your roster, that would expand the base quite well.

I love this so far, but am not hoisting the cup yet, but the coach seems to be the kingpin in the turnaround....let's hope we keep on cruising....

CoachGT
05-31-2010, 07:50 AM
He drove our previous captain into the ground lol... Preki mentioned recently we have the second youngest squad in the league so there can easily be a high level of regeneration, and the players that might not be able to recover as easily (DeRo & JDG, due to their ages and accumulative minutes over the years) are playing 45' games with greater frequency.

To add on to the rotational policy is the halftime experiment that Preki has instituted. Every player wants to start, and DeRo / JDG are clearly fine coming off the bench (lengthens their careers). It failed in its first implementation @ RSL, but since then its been brilliant IMO. Mainly the added inspiration that it provides to the role players... essentially the better you play, the more time you get, the more often you'll start. Players like get to be starters and if they suck, they get removed for DeRo and JDG.

The question then becomes how long do you keep DeRo and JDG on the roster if they get less playing time. This is simply a question of economics. Why pay two players more than the rest of the roster if they are going to spend significant time on the bench. And the philiosophy that Preki professes (all players are equal) would lend itself to this.

I wonder how long players like Ibby and Cronin will remain with the team - they are young players who need further development and it looks like development time will be limited for them here. Perhaps they should be moved (and Preki would be the guy initiating it) while we can still get something for them.

I'm not sold on Preki by a long shot. Fear isn't a motivator that you can keep in place for a long time and I believe his control rests on fear more than anything else. But I hope that we continue to get results.

pekduck
05-31-2010, 07:53 AM
^
control rests on fear more than anything else

is that a speculation or based on something that a source said?

edit: playing time is not a sole indicator of the economical value of DeRo and JDG, it's their effectiveness that drives value. if they are effective and generate goals or taking goals away amid less than 60 min a game, it cannot mean that they are less valuable then 95+ min players earning less salaries

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 08:13 AM

I am really hoping this is the case, because if it is, I have no problems with him sticking around and helping this team succeed.

That's why I am keeping my final judgement on him for the end of the season, maybe even the end of next season. For me, the most important thing needed at this team is consistency, something which we have not had. While not my favourite selection, now that we have him I would like this to be the last coaching change in a long time.

greatwhitenorf
05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Vote Preki. And all your dreams will come true.

http://www.hugozapata.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/scarface-scarface-al-pacino-9970072.jpg
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/pacino_wideweb__470x314,2.jpg

Wull
05-31-2010, 08:33 AM
I'm quite happily eating my words at the moment. I still don't trust half of the squad but I can't argue with the results and the way we're playing

Hitcho
05-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Football is all bout the last game so these kind of snap polls could be making someone president one day and hanging their effigy the next. I also think that, given the size of the job Preki had on his hands as incoming coach, the only point we could even begin to sensibly judge him is the end of the season, and possibly part way though next season after he's got the transition season out of the way.

Having said that, things are definitely going well in some respects (more stable back line, much more effective system and tactics in place, more balanced squad, retained NCC with game to spare, Barrett suddenly learned how to finish, etc) and still need to be worked on in others (despite the last few games which included some NCC results, the away results so far this season are still as bad as ever, we still need more impetus from out wide, the quality of the football needs to be worked on to make us a more potent threat, etc).

But again, I really think it's too early to judge Preki on anything substantive. Still, things going well so far. At least until the next game! :D

Beach_Red
05-31-2010, 09:04 AM
The question then becomes how long do you keep DeRo and JDG on the roster if they get less playing time. This is simply a question of economics. Why pay two players more than the rest of the roster if they are going to spend significant time on the bench. And the philiosophy that Prekie professes (all players are equal) would lend itself to this.

I wonder how long players like Ibby and Cronin will remain with the team - they are young players who need further development and it looks like development time will be limited for them here. Perhaps they should be moved (and Preki would be the guy initiating it) while we can still get something for them.

I'm not sold on Preki by a long shot. Fear isn't a motivator that you can keep in place for a long time and I believe his control rests on fear more than anything else. But I hope that we continue to get results.

The results will decide it, of course.

Right now it looks like a season-long strategy. Chances are as we get closer to the playoffs we'll see DeRo and JDG starting more games and playing more minutes and everyone will have played a lot. If the strategy works, the team will peak for the playoffs.

CoachGT
05-31-2010, 09:12 AM
^
control rests on fear more than anything else

is that a speculation or based on something that a source said?

Key are the few words before that - I believe.....

My belief is based upon a whole bunch of things, including discussions with other coaches, discussions Preki has had in different media and comments made by players in interviews. I've made the comment before and believe the comparison accurate - he reminds me of Mike Keenan.

Gazza
05-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Typical of the bi-polar nature of toronto sport's fans. After a couple losses in a row, we'll be calling for his head on a platter.

Roogsy
05-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Typical of the bi-polar nature of toronto sport's fans. After a couple losses in a row, we'll be calling for his head on a platter.

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

Whoop
05-31-2010, 09:38 AM
The one thing I've learned being involved with teams, stability is huge.

Right now, Preki provides stability in that he doesn't appear to be a temporary hire a la Carver or Cummins and he isn't eyeing a move to Europe or such.

As a result, the players know - even if they hate him - he's here for a couple of seasons because the team needs stability. So the players that are here have to buy in or not.

So far, for the most part, things have gone well, especially after the early season turbulence. But in reality there hasn't been "pressure".

We'll see how the team reacts when they're under pressure of squeezing into the playoffs or if they make the playoffs how they react there.

I still get the impression that it's a house of cards and one little thing could make it come down real quick.

Having said that, I voted yes. At the end of the day, the results are the results.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 09:41 AM
I think this poll needs a "maybe". I'm not saying it's too early to tell, I just can't decide right now because this team has two personalities. And while I do believe we have gotten better, I also believe this team has the roster that could fall apart as well. This is a streaky team, and I honestly believe we are thriving on confidence right now. But what happens when we lose that first game at home? is it all going to come crashing down? I don't know. One thing that worries me about Preki is his strategy to sit back and get pounded for the last 20 minutes of a game. I can't stand the mentality of taking off a striker (who's running hard and chasing down balls) in order to put in another midfielder. It's like saying to the other team, ok we aren't attacking for the next 20 minutes, so it's all up to you whether you can put the ball in the net or not. We were very close to tying the game last night, and if we did, I would've ripped Preki apart. He got away with one.

Soo, after this home stand, I think I'll have a better idea whether this is a fluke or whether this team is for real.

trane
05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't care what style we play, as long as it produces results, and the games are reasonably entertaining, which they have been.

I think accusing the team of playing anti-football is probably a little unfair too. We've been more defense oriented, but have also produced more quality chances on goal than we did last year. We had the opportunity to hang 4, or even 5 on San Jose last night.

- Scott

I am all for this so called "anti-football". It has won Inter three cups this year, and won italy 4 WC, and many other teams, many other trophies.

What does that even mean? Anti-football? Is defending not part of the game, the part of the game that we did not have for three years. I love so called Anti-Football. When they start giving points of style, maybe I will change my mind.

Whoop
05-31-2010, 10:43 AM
I agree.

It feels like we've scored more goals during the run of play than ever before.

trane
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
^ You are probably right. How many times have we scored 3 on the road? How many times have we scored three period?

Oldtimer
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
There is a wiki on anti-football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-football

"Anti-football" is a term used to describe an extremely defensive or robust style of play of football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) where one team deploys their whole team, except the striker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striker), behind the ball. In doing so, they try their best to stop the opposition from scoring, rather than trying to win the game themselves.That doesn't really seem to be Preki's strategy. He employs a rapid counter-attack, something that this definition would preclude.

Looking at the article, it's been used in various ways, so it's kind of a vague term. If you mean "defense first," yes that's Preki's method.

Whoop
05-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Looks like we've been trying to win football games the last few weeks.

trane
05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
There is a wiki on anti-football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-football

That doesn't really seem to be Preki's strategy. He employs a rapid counter-attack, something that this definition would preclude.

This is the Italian defenition of Anti-football, the term used by those that lose to a defensive club, and complain that they were not allowed to score.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 10:58 AM
I am all for this so called "anti-football". It has won Inter three cups this year, and won italy 4 WC, and many other teams, many other trophies.

What does that even mean? Anti-football? Is defending not part of the game, the part of the game that we did not have for three years. I love so called Anti-Football. When they start giving points of style, maybe I will change my mind.

Sure, but I could go on and on about south american teams or other European teams with lots of world cups in the closet who would never employ the system the Italians employ. Obviously it has alot to do with what I grew up watching, but I just don't think Italian football or Inter football is any good for this sport. If every team played this way this sport would be in trouble. Thank god for the Barcelonas of this world ;)

trane
05-31-2010, 11:01 AM
^ THere are 10 CL trophies in a city called Milano. Thank you "anti-football".

ManUtd4ever
05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
I think this poll needs a "maybe". I'm not saying it's too early to tell, I just can't decide right now because this team has two personalities. And while I do believe we have gotten better, I also believe this team has the roster that could fall apart as well. This is a streaky team, and I honestly believe we are thriving on confidence right now. But what happens when we lose that first game at home? is it all going to come crashing down? I don't know. One thing that worries me about Preki is his strategy to sit back and get pounded for the last 20 minutes of a game. I can't stand the mentality of taking off a striker (who's running hard and chasing down balls) in order to put in another midfielder. It's like saying to the other team, ok we aren't attacking for the next 20 minutes, so it's all up to you whether you can put the ball in the net or not. We were very close to tying the game last night, and if we did, I would've ripped Preki apart. He got away with one.

Soo, after this home stand, I think I'll have a better idea whether this is a fluke or whether this team is for real.

While I agree that TFC sat back for the final 20 minutes against San Jose, it was definitely not Preki's intended strategy. Note his post game comments:

"I liked the effort," he said. "From the first moment we worked really hard as a group and found a way to get a goal in the first half. We made a couple of changes at half time and freshened things up and scored a nice second goal. I thought we relaxed a bit too much after that and was disappointed that we gave up a goal. After that they threw everyone forward and for whatever reason we dropped back and defended too deep. Luckily we were able to hold on and take the points."

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
^ THere are 10 CL trophies in a city called Milano. Thank you "anti-football".

Are you referring to A.C Milan's trophies? Cause they sure as heck aren't a defense first team.

Pachuco
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
While I agree that TFC sat back for the final 20 minutes against San Jose, it was definitely not Preki's intended strategy. Note his post game comments:

"I liked the effort," he said. "From the first moment we worked really hard as a group and found a way to get a goal in the first half. We made a couple of changes at half time and freshened things up and scored a nice second goal. I thought we relaxed a bit too much after that and was disappointed that we gave up a goal. After that they threw everyone forward and for whatever reason we dropped back and defended too deep. Luckily we were able to hold on and take the points."

it's no coincidence that it all happened as soon as Barret came off and he replaced him with a midfielder. I'm shocked that he doesn't think that had anything to do with the team dropping back. that's exactly the message you send to the players when you take off a hard running striker. The midfielders all of a sudden have no one to pass to, and it becomes a goal to get the ball out of their own zone.

trane
05-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Pachuco,

Not this year, they were not a defense first team, but since the new area, after Berlusconi took over, under many mangers defensive responsability was always a major part of the game. The DM in many ways was developed with Milan, with the 4 diamond formation. Defensive responsability is a major part of Italian football, and when they win "people" complain that it is anti-football.

Defensive football is not 10 man back. Leonardo was critizsed this year for not being defense first.

S_D
05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Can't argue with the results.

Don't mind the defensive stuff but I do wish there was a bit more flow to the game to make it more entertaining. But, entertainment isn't Preki's job, it is to win so, well done.

Whoop
05-31-2010, 11:22 AM
If you want anti-football.

See 2004, Euro.

James17930
05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Oldtimer is right -- we really aren't that 'defensive'. we play good defense, and we're well organized defensively (which are of course very important) but we're not 'defensive.'

We pass the ball well through the mid, we get the ball up to the strikers, we have a roving attacking player who goes wherever he wants . . . we never sit 11 guys behind the ball.

We're very 'total' (don't castrate me for using that term), or, at least, that's our goal.

Beach_Red
05-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Oldtimer is right -- we really aren't that 'defensive'. we play good defense, and we're well organized defensively (which are of course very important) but we're not 'defensive.'

We pass the ball well through the mid, we get the ball up to the strikers, we have a roving attacking player who goes wherever he wants . . . we never sit 11 guys behind the ball.

We're very 'total' (don't castrate me for using that term), or, at least, that's our goal.

But pass passes throughthe midle created every scoring chance San Jose had.

trane
05-31-2010, 11:33 AM
^ That is a good defensive game. You do not play a good defensive game by simply sitting back. It is just that your focus is defense first and your build your attacking game from that strengh.

trane
05-31-2010, 11:34 AM
If you want anti-football.

See 2004, Euro.

That is an extreme example of defensive football, but that is not a typical example of winning defensive football, or thought they did win.

ilikemusic
05-31-2010, 11:42 AM
I have voted yes all season so im obviously not changing now.

Preki knows what he is doing.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-31-2010, 01:17 PM
id love to know who isnt happy and why, still early days but he seems to have a good thing going

Maple Leaf Red
05-31-2010, 03:45 PM

Or any city's sports fans.

Preki's done well now that the roster is settled. Why it's been four years in a row that Mo can't get a settled roster together we'll likely never know but it's done and it's rolling. Let's hope that the team keeps it going.

DichioTFC
05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
The question then becomes how long do you keep DeRo and JDG on the roster if they get less playing time. This is simply a question of economics. Why pay two players more than the rest of the roster if they are going to spend significant time on the bench. And the philiosophy that Preki professes (all players are equal) would lend itself to this.

I'm under the impression that Preki will have his most productive XI (i.e. the players that cost the most) on the pitch for important games later in the season and playoff games.

I hate to say it about Cronin but both he and Ibby are expendable. If their trade value exceeds their value to the team then it would be more prudent to trade them. Cronin just doesn't appear to fit into Preki's plans, which is truly unfortunate.

DichioTFC
05-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Football is all bout the last game so these kind of snap polls could be making someone president one day and hanging their effigy the next.

Like i wrote on the OP, its how you feel at the moment, not a final assessment. Like a marathon, this is just a snapshot of our support at this point in time. A low approval rating does not rate him as an overall failure, just like a high approval rating does not mean he's Sir Alex Ferguson.

The last thing I would want is the ~96% approval rating for one month to translate into an iron-clad unlimited contract.

Shakes McQueen
05-31-2010, 04:14 PM
id love to know who isnt happy and why, still early days but he seems to have a good thing going

Same here. I can't imagine any valid reason not to approve of the job he is doing in the present moment.

If you think it's too early to judge him, that's perfectly valid - but then you shouldn't be answering the poll question at all, in that case.

But who comes out of a month in which we didn't lose a single game, and says "I disapprove"?

Imagine how our first few games might have gone, if Preki had a settled lineup at that point, instead of Mo continuing to throw new faces at him. We might very well be 6-1-3 or 7-1-2 right now.

- Scott

Brooker
06-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Preki! Fuck The World! Love him!

Imagine how our first few games might have gone, if Preki had a settled lineup at that point, instead of Mo continuing to throw new faces at him.

- Scott

playing devil's advocate, literally, how do you know it was all Johnstons fault and had nothing to do with Preki?

Shakes McQueen
06-01-2010, 02:31 AM
playing devil's advocate, literally, how do you know it was all Johnstons fault and had nothing to do with Preki?

Based on the fact that this team is playing nothing like the teams of the past three years. And based on the fact that, when this team was still new and in flux, they played like shit for the first few games.

This would seem to indicate that they got better as a team, once Preki hammered his system into them.

- Scott

Oldtimer
06-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Preki! Fuck The World! Love him!

Even if all of the roster changes were Preki-initiated, Mo sat on his rear end until the CBA was settled before he started bringing in Preki's choices -- while other MLS clubs were doing deals. Now probably that had something to do with wanting to know the cap space, but it also matches the pattern from previous seasons of not settling the roster for the first few games.

The good news is that if Preki and his boys are around next year, we will probably only see smaller changes next year.

P-NUTZ
06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
preki is awesome. i've said it all year. the mentality is completely different and the team is doing well and will certainly make the playoffs. This is quite a turnaround.

Everything considered, i am completely impressed so far.

Well done for preki and the rest of the bunch.