PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: SJ v. TFC

Lucky Strike
05-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Hello loyal followers (of my ratings, I don't run a cult or anything like that), just to let you know that the ratings will be found here (obviously), albeit up tomorrow as I'll be out tonight.

In the meantime, if you guys have any (of the constructive variety only please) suggestions as to what you'd like to see, let me know! What do you like? What don't you like? What could I do better? And etc...

Anyway, good luck to the guys tonight!

rocker
05-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I'll be out tonight.

where you going? hot date?

FluSH
05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
UFC?

DichioTFC
05-29-2010, 08:22 PM

watching ufc instead :rolleyes:

phonzo
05-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Player rating - shadow - 10/10. It's intense

Marianne
05-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Agree phonzo. Shadows really suck in this game.I've been sitting here watching and ranting about then. Even barrett complained in his interview.
Fucking shadows. Fuck them up their stupid shadow asses.

Whoop
05-29-2010, 10:15 PM
phonzo is really stuck on these shadows. wow...

Yeoman
05-29-2010, 11:20 PM
shadows must of raped him when he was younger or something

[NBF]
05-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Good game, I was impressed at how good they were in the 1st half and thought that if DeGuzman and DeRosario were playing we'd be up 2-0(Good substitution). DeGuzman, made his return after injury so you cant really say that you expected much from him, he was obviously trying hard, but he was knocked to the ground alot. Garcia, continues to impress at Left Back, figure that shit out! Cann had the best game as a TFC player, IMO he's the best signing of the season for TFC.

Chad Barrett, this is his longest goal scoring streak in his career. Good solid passes from Cann were helpful in getting a run onto the ball, but can you imagine, how good this team would be if we had Full Backs that defend and move the play forward:hulk:
Frei- 7

Gargan-6
Garcia-6
Attakora-7
Cann-7

LeBrocca-7
Saric-6
Sanyang-7
Peterson-6
DeGuzman-6
Cronin-6

Barrett-8
White-6
DeRosario-8

harrietgate
05-30-2010, 12:01 AM
How can Frei and Sanyang both have 7?

Frei was brilliant...as usual. Sanyang kept giving the ball away in the first half. Very surprised Preki left him on.

Gargan played really well and deserves more than 6.

markus
05-30-2010, 12:26 AM
A. Cann - 7? after seeing him marking 'air' twice on two highlites saves by Frei(TFC TV) ...... not...

Roogsy
05-30-2010, 01:45 AM
;1044923']
Frei- 7

Gargan-6
Garcia-6
Attakora-7
Cann-7

LeBrocca-7
Saric-6
Sanyang-7
Peterson-6
DeGuzman-6
Cronin-6

Barrett-8
White-6
DeRosario-8

You gave Sanyang the same rating as Frei?

I'm the biggest DeRo booster and even I have to admit, this game was all Frei. There was no way anyone should have a higher rating than Frei. He was the first, 2nd and third star of the game. If it wasn't for him, San Jose would have won, I have no questions about it.

Everyone else had a pretty average game, with Sanyang having a below-average game. But Frei was a star. I would say maybe even a 10.

KRO
05-30-2010, 01:46 AM
from someone who was at the game

Frei- 9 Great saves, good domination of his area

Gargan-7 Best game he has played for the team
Garcia-7 solid game, no real mistakes
Attakora-7 Good positioning and quick tackles
Cann-8 Stellar performance

LeBrocca-7 Very lively on the ball
Saric-6 His usual early booking took the punch out of his game
Sanyang-6 Below par in the first half, lots of misplaced passes. better second half
Peterson-6 Nice to see him last the game. Worked hard.
DeGuzman-7 Made a difference when he came on. Controlled the middle
Cronin-6 Not enough time to make an impression but did OK

Barrett-7 Other than the goal he made some good runs for outlet passes
White-6 Didn't do too much
DeRosario-8 Always looked a threat. They still love him in San Jose

Roogsy
05-30-2010, 01:50 AM

Since you were at the game, I am not sure if you have had a chance to view a broadcast, but they did show some TFC fans at one point very briefly. Maybe it was you guys? :D

KRO
05-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Since you were at the game, I am not sure if you have had a chance to view a broadcast, but they did show some TFC fans at one point very briefly. Maybe it was you guys?

Haven't seen the broadcast yet but we were on the side opposite from the cameras on the centre line 10 rows back in seats given to us by a San Jose fan. Can't say enough about the hospitality here.

phonzo
05-30-2010, 02:00 AM

It's called dedication my friend..dedication!

Workie
05-30-2010, 02:11 AM

This would be because he was watching the game and listened to the commentary and the half time comments from Barrett.

This compiled by the blatant misdirected decision to not wear the white kits. Cost us a goal and us to loose track of our players.

This shows yet again the lack of intelligence leading the team!

leroy
05-30-2010, 10:12 AM
gerry dobson - negative one million

Razcle
05-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I dont agree with comments posted about Garcia. I agree that he is much less of a liability on the side, however a few times he was caught out of position and his backpasses to Frei are way too close for comfort. I think Cann keeps getting better and hopoefully he can be a solid part of our team for years to come. It would be nice to see how he fares with the national team as well.

Frei was the man. No question about it. I am also super impressed by the heart De-Ro was showing. He seemed to be running so hard he couldn't keep his balance..

LesH
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Frei was brilliant...as usual. Sanyang kept giving the ball away in the first half. Very surprised Preki left him on.

Agree.
If he gave 7 to Frei, Sanyang should have 5.
But the correct ratings are Frei 8 and Sanyang 5.5

jloome
05-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Frei - 8.5
Gargan - 8
Attakora - 7
Cann - 6
Garcia - 6.5
Labrocca - 6.5
Peterson - 7
Saric - 5.5
Sanyang - 5
Barrett - 7
White - 6
SUBS
DeGuzman - 5.5
DeRosario - 8
Cronin - 6

jloome
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Frei- 9 Great saves, good domination of his area

Gargan-7 Best game he has played for the team
Garcia-7 solid game, no real mistakes
Attakora-7 Good positioning and quick tackles
Cann-8 Stellar performance

LeBrocca-7 Very lively on the ball
Saric-6 His usual early booking took the punch out of his game
Sanyang-6 Below par in the first half, lots of misplaced passes. better second half
Peterson-6 Nice to see him last the game. Worked hard.
DeGuzman-7 Made a difference when he came on. Controlled the middle
Cronin-6 Not enough time to make an impression but did OK

Barrett-7 Other than the goal he made some good runs for outlet passes
White-6 Didn't do too much
DeRosario-8 Always looked a threat. They still love him in San Jose

These things are all subjective of course, but general ratings standards are that a "solid game" would be a 6, so Garcia would be 6 by description. Cann missed two heads that almost cost us goals.

I'd also arguethat Julian didn't control the middle, the team controlled the middle. Julianj had about four missed tackles, was stripped three times, and dove twice without a call.

deltox
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Frei - 8.5
Gargan - 8
Attakora - 7
Cann - 6
Garcia - 6.5
Labrocca - 6.5
Peterson - 7
Saric - 5.5
Sanyang - 5
Barrett - 7
White - 6
SUBS
DeGuzman - 5.5
DeRosario - 8
Cronin - 6

Cann was one the best players out there tonight. he was a machine. you scored him less that Garcia?

Roogsy
05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I am also super impressed by the heart De-Ro was showing. He seemed to be running so hard he couldn't keep his balance..

That is something many people don't notice. Some of the drawbacks people mention about DeRo is his decision-making, but I think this is caused by the fact that he goes out there and plays at 110% and when you're giving your all, most of what you do is instinctual.

This is how he plays every game and I love watching it. I don't know anyone who has ever played for TFC that plays with the fire of DeRo.

ManUtd4ever
05-30-2010, 12:13 PM
That is something many people don't notice. Some of the drawbacks people mention about DeRo is his decision-making, but I think this is caused by the fact that he goes out there and plays at 110% and when you're giving your all, most of what you do is instinctual.

This is how he plays every game and I love watching it. I don't know anyone who has ever played for TFC that plays with the fire of DeRo.

DeRo has definitely stepped up and led by example this season with his tireless work ethic. The only other player that displayed that type of consistent intensity on the pitch was a gentleman who wore number 9...

CoachGT
05-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd have Cann rated a little higher than what JLoome has, but otherwise I think his ratings are okay.

I'm surprised that when Garcia has a couple of games and doesn't give the ball away badly (in other words, plays an average game) that people think he might be the answer to our defending problems. Was he not the left back that got lost and left Wondolowski open late in the game?

koryo
05-30-2010, 12:57 PM
The only reason Garcia isn't looking like such a liability at the moment is that Attakora & Cann can bail him out when he needs it. Don't be fooled though, he is still a liability. He's just not in a position where his mistakes appear to be so costly now.

JonO
05-30-2010, 01:07 PM
The only reason Garcia isn't looking like such a liability at the moment is that Attakora & Cann can bail him out when he needs it. Don't be fooled though, he is still a liability. He's just not in a position where his mistakes appear to be so costly now.
I agree. Also - in the second half SJ attacked almost exclusively down his wing. Surprised it took them that long... (Which is what Coach said) We've need a left back for a while. Man, do I miss Dunivant (no I'm not letting that go ;) )

TIRONA
05-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Gargan played really well and deserves more than 6.

Exactly my thoughts. Gargan did well, I was too skeptical about him especially after I saw him play live vs. Montreal in the Canadian Cup opener, but the guy plays with heart. Might not be the most talented player but his dedication is awesome.

Sanyang did well defensively but he seems a little too nervous out there... he is still very young and Im quite impressed with Preki for trusting him. Sanyang will be a great player for TFC if he keeps developing.

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Exactly. De Ro has a free playing role, where he can position himself wherever essentially. For someone to do that, they need to take risks and make bold decisions with regards to positioning, etc. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I think DeRo is a solid decision maker... except on those 30 yard strikes lol.

boysblue
05-30-2010, 02:23 PM
why not allow lucky strike to have a go first? he started the thread and it is sort of a post-game "tradition" of his.

Jamaicanadian
05-30-2010, 02:35 PM

This is how he plays every game and I love watching it. I don't know anyone who has ever played in the MLS that plays with the fire of DeRo.

fixed!

The guy is something else and severely underpaid!
The sad thing is he's been under valued in this league since he played with Donovan.

Candu_88
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Just because he scored two goals doesn't not ensure an 8 rating. Took a silly long shot with better passing options, missed an easy free header from a great cross close to the net, late silly yellow card to get banned. Continues on his stupid offsides. Definitely the heart of TFC and great work rate but could be even better with more brain work. 7 would be my Dero rating not 8.

Macksam
05-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Garcia getss a five from me just based on his play in the last 8 or 10 minutes. The left flank was just left wide open allowing San Jose to have free crosses towards the end of the game. I don't know if it's his tendencies as a center back or what, but he had no business shifting into the middle of the park when he needed to stay out wide and provide cover.

prizby
05-30-2010, 05:12 PM
still no player ratings from lucky strike, yet he had to make a post about them?

Lucky Strike
05-30-2010, 05:21 PM
still no player ratings from lucky strike, yet he had to make a post about them?

^Yes.

---

Holy cow, does Preki have a shrine yet?

Frei (7.5): A clean sheet would have given him an 8 but he gets 7.5 for a performance which featured two memorable saves, a fairly good command of the box but he just got boxed out a little on the SJ goal. He’s playing very well so far. Maybe this is why Edwards was let go and replaced by Conway and Kocic; they work harder than Edwards (who was criticized once or twice) so Frei is sharper.
Gargan (6.5): Proving to be yet another good pickup by Preki and I think may finally have moved ahead of Usanov in the depth chart at RB. I expected a while back, but now I think it’s been cemented by another workman-like performance where the job was done effectively. Had a good understanding with Peterson who covered back on occasion after Gargan went forward.
Cann (8): An absolutely monstrous performance, yet again. Dominant in the air, clean and hard tackling and a hard man to get around in other situations. He’s easily the best signing of the year so far.
Attakora (7): He was his usual effective self with his battery mate Cann. He was a bit quieter and he was unable at one point to prevent a cross from coming into the box which SJ should have finished (but he was covering the RB position after a move forward). Also got caught wrong side of the ball in the second half.
Garcia (6): He’s certainly played much, MUCH better than early on in the season. Had a worrying moment in the box and another further on the left side, but overall he’s much improved. I still think he’s not value for the team in terms of salary vs. ability, but he’s far from the catastrophe he used to be.
Peterson (6.5): Was one of the key players from the first half before JDG and DeRo came in and played his role very effectively creating a number of opportunities down the right flank. Was much less solicited in the second half with the introduction of the two stars and was therefore quieter and less visible, but his mission was accomplished.
Sanyang (4.5): Ouch. His passing has been getting increasingly brutal and embarrassing. Still can be effective defensively, but good God, passing skills mate! One of his giveaways directly resulted in the super save Frei had to make. Had he not stopped it, it could have turned the whole match.
Saric (5.5): Unfortunately didn’t have too great an impact by picking up an early yellow card and having to be careful later on. Check.
LaBrocca (6): Nothing really positive or negative to mention here.
White (5): A match to forget. Really created nothing and his two long-range shots were off-target.
Barrett (7): Led the line in the first half in the absence of DeRo and JDG and did it well chasing down balls and eventually creating a goal out of nothing. Essentially that one play made Preki’s entire strategy work. I wish I could give him bonus marks for the outstanding goal celebration but I really should do it separately – that’s a 10. Second half was much quieter as others took over.

DeRosario, on for White – 46th minute (7.5): Not a bad day’s work; 45 minutes and two goals. Granted the second one was a gimme but the first was very well taken. Otherwise a constant threat and drawing a number of players to him giving space to others. That’s our skipper.
DeGuzman, on for Saric – 46th minute (6.5): Good to see him back in action. Was able to dribble out of danger fairly frequently and maintain possession of the ball, obviously something necessary when protecting a lead.
Cronin, on for Barrett – 82nd minute (NR): Not enough time to really make an impact though he did have an important block at the top of the area which eventually led to DeRo’s second goal.

Preki (8): Interesting that he kept DeRosario and DeGuzman on the bench to start the game, given how neither of them is going to play on Wednesday in the final NCC match. True, one came off an injury and the other from a long trip to Argentina, but with a full week between the SJ game and the following weekend, it seems like it might have been OK. But as it turns out, it was absolutely the right thing to do (and obviously the coach knows better the players than I do). And for the record, had TFC come away with a result from the RSL game at the start of the season having used the same rotational policy, the above is what we would be saying about the strategy. So the fact that it didn’t come off last time, doesn’t mean it was a bad idea like many suggested it was.

Referee (6.5): My big question is why Barrett got a booking for his goal celebration. The official records list unsporting behaviour. OK, that sort of makes sense but then why aren’t similar celebrations (excluding taking the shirt off because there is either already a specific rule for that or it falls under unsporting behaviour already) punished across the league? Plus 0.5 if the referee was applying the rule to the letter and minus 0.5 if there is no such rule and he’s being inconsistent with the rest of the referees. Aside from that, he got a little intense there in signalling fouls and free kicks near the end, but that’s just an inane observation.

TFC MOTM: This is very difficult today. DeRo got the winning goal, Frei had some excellent saves and Cann was a beast in defense. Though the other two were instrumental (and you could make a good case for either of them), I’ll go with Cann who just played fantastic.

Most impressed by opposition’s: Chris Wondolowski. Though he didn’t score, I was very impressed with his first touch instantly bringing under control impossibly long passes. Yeah I know, not a huge deal but it is MLS right?

Least impressed by opposition’s: Joe Cannon. Maybe a little harsh as many SJ players were simply invisible, but for a keeper of his quality he really had a poor match.

Conclusion: There is the first road win of the season in MLS from a venue where quite a few people would have been satisfied with a draw. We played a rotation system where some key players got rest and the win was quite convincing. Who can complain about that?

Lucky Strike
05-30-2010, 05:24 PM

It was, as a matter of fact. :D

why not allow lucky strike to have a go first? he started the thread and it is sort of a post-game "tradition" of his.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't "own" the player ratings. For sure everyone should have their two cents!

rocker
05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Referee (6.5): My big question is why Barrett got a booking for his goal celebration. The official records list unsporting behaviour. OK, that sort of makes sense but then why aren’t similar celebrations (excluding taking the shirt off because there is either already a specific rule for that or it falls under unsporting behaviour already) punished across the league? Plus 0.5 if the referee was applying the rule to the letter and minus 0.5 if there is no such rule and he’s being inconsistent with the rest of the referees.

I thought the celebration probably warranted a card .. not because I know anything about the rules surrounding such things. But grabbing pieces of the field equipment for a celebration strikes me as a yellow card offence. But it's inconsistently applied -- Dichio grabbed the flag at BMO and raised it in the air once and I don't believe he was carded for it, if memory serves.

But it was a good celebration :)

The funny thing is if you watch the replay, Barrett walks away after and one TFC player goes back and tries to put the flag back in. What a nice guy.

prizby
05-30-2010, 09:10 PM
goal was pretty much attakora's to take the blame while garcia made 1 blunder, yet attakora gets a 7 and garcia a 6, we watching the same game?

why don't you just post the ratings when you actually have done them?

DichioTFC
05-30-2010, 09:28 PM
goal was pretty much attakora's to take the blame while garcia made 1 blunder, yet attakora gets a 7 and garcia a 6, we watching the same game?

why don't you just post the ratings when you actually have done them?

:lol:

I thought the celebration probably warranted a card .. not because I know anything about the rules surrounding such things. But grabbing pieces of the field equipment for a celebration strikes me as a yellow card offence. But it's inconsistently applied -- Dichio grabbed the flag at BMO and raised it in the air once and I don't believe he was carded for it, if memory serves.

The funny thing is if you watch the replay, Barrett walks away after and one TFC player goes back and tries to put the flag back in. What a nice guy.

The celebration was definitely caution-worthy because he used the flag as a prop in an elaborate celebration. The ref has gotta be a hardliner to card Dichio for only raising it. But technically, both are actionable offenses.

deltox
05-31-2010, 08:55 AM
here was Paul James player ratings....taken from globe and mail site.

TFC Team
Frei, Gargen, Attakora, Cann, Garcia, Labrocca, Sanyang , Saric, Peeterson, Barrett, White
Formation: 4-4-2
Player Rating
Stefan Frei (7)
A good performance with no significant errors. His set-up for the first goal was perfect and some key saves at key moments in the game were crucial for TFC. It is important though, to not over state the performance as it is to be expected from a goalkeeper at this level and particularly on this positive curve of team results. It was a good display but it is to be expected from Frei.
Dan Gargen (7)
A better outing from the aggressive and resilient right full back. Most importantly he was defensively sound. On the ball he showed the vision to pick out DeRosario over the top for the second goal. His execution was superb. At times did not get tight enough for preventing crosses into the box but TFC are proving so adept at defending these crosses that in the end, it proved insignificant.
Adrian Cann (8)
Another outstanding performance from the reliable and focused defender. Great in the air and his timing with tackles was first class. A huge difference from the centre-back pairing this year than last. The intangibles of reliability, concentration, and discipline make the difference. Cann for the team and to his strengths.
Nana Attakora (7)
Another good performance from the still maturing centre back. Got beat a few times which keeps him honest but overall, his ability to get tight to his opponent at lightening pace is impressive and is improving. His pace adds that bit of extra reliability, particularly when covering.
Nick Garcia (7)
Tough to pick out anyone at the back who did not perform well. At times Garcia tended to stay central when the ball was wide in the defending third. Maybe it was a tactical decision for him but in either event he defended well, never being caught on the wrong side of his marker and no errors. When in possession he again looked assured. He kept the ball moving positively.
Nick Labrocca (7)
Another terrific performance from the lively Labrocca. Clever use of the ball and always thinking ahead. He displayed great technique. Actually showed he has a greater technical range of passing skill than de Guzman who tends to be poorer at hitting longer range passes. Defensively tired as the game wore on and as a result he could not always cover the space in behind him. Will eventually get caught out if Garcia does not get across either.
Amadou Sanyang (5)
An awkward game from Sanyanag. Gave the ball away way too often in the first half. It was one of those games all players have when they are developing. Everything seemed to go wrong for him. Missed timed tackles, missed headers, clumsiness on the ball, the whole lot. Yet because he never gives in and is able to keep his collective responsibility in tack (ie. team shape) he does not let the team down. Eventually he got through his little nightmare and did ok. As an 18 year old he his is a real asset and identifies that there are more fighters on the 2010 TFC team than there were on the 2009 squad.
Martin Saric (5)
An off game for the Argentinean midfielder although his regular yellow card appeared as per usual. Less is more with addressing this again.
Jacob Peterson (6)
A decent performance. Getting fitter and as a result more reliable defensively. It was difficult for him to penetrate the backline of San Jose but did manage a few crosses which caused some problems. Again showed ability on the ball. A full 90 minutes will again help his confidence.
O’Brien White (6)
Just an okay performance tonight against a solid backline for San Jose. Having said that he was not invisible and showed some neat touches. Better at holding the ball up.
Chad Barrett (6)
Scored a good opportunistic goal from a direct play from Frei but considering the benchmark he has set in recent outings this was not one of his better performances. He lacked the liveliness and seemed a yard short to everything. All ways round his touch and resulting techniques were off the mark. Still found a way to contribute though, through pure willingness to never quit.
Substitutions
Dwayne DeRosario (7)
A 45 minute performance full of vim and vigour and another two goals.
Julian de Guzman (6)
Once Julian appears the connectivity of TFC when in possession improves but at the same time their defensive reliability wavers, just a bit.
Sam Cronin (NS)

Detroit_TFC
05-31-2010, 09:55 AM

I'm thinking a celebration like that is treated differently depending on if it is a home or away player. Not fair to do so, but you could see how an away player could inflame the crowd. Imagine if JPA or Ljungberg did that at BMO, we'd go fucking mental.

jloome
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Cann was one the best players out there tonight. he was a machine. you scored him less that Garcia?

Er, you didn't read the explanation, evidently. They had three solid chances on net, two of which were caused by Cann missing clear headers on the back post. So, no, he wasn't one of the best players out there tonight. An 8? Not a chance.

felipe
05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I have to agree - Sanyang was brutal.

Where are the calls for JDG's head? After all, we're paying him a shit load of money - and he's had, what? 1 good game? The rest of his performances have been shockingly average.

Is there a thread I've missed that explains he's been carrying a severe injury the entire time he's been here?

He's not the player he is/was in TFC colours that he's shown in the past with the nat'l team.

I'd argue the reason he doesn't start all the time, is because he hasn't performed that much better than the rest of them in the midfield and earned his spot...yet.

Flashman
06-01-2010, 12:56 PM
gerry dobson - negative one million

Yep, Dobson was horrible...just randomly pulling names out of the air. As the game went on, he started mixing up people that look nothing like each other (LaBrocca v De Guzman, Garcia v Cronin). It eventually rubbed off on Craig Forrest as well.