PDA

View Full Version : BMO expansion depends on Argos !!!!

vince93
06-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Did any one else hear Mitch Peacock during the game today say the he spoke to someone from mlse and that expansion of the east grandstand will depend if the ARGOS Come in as tenants?

WTF!!!!!!!!! we better get the black shirts ready!!!

joel
06-21-2008, 07:41 PM
boo fucking hoo. they won't do it unless they have removable/adjustable seating anyway, so get over it already, if it's 30,000 and still functions as a proper SSS why do you care?

egoodwin
06-22-2008, 02:06 AM
because it won't be soccer specific

the sight lines will be fucked
the distance to the pitch will be fucked
the chances of us ever getting grass will be fucked
our all red stadium with TFC flags will be fucked
gridiron lines on a pitch looks fucked

basically, the idea of the argos coming and it being linked to expansion is just fucked.

RealG-TFC
06-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I doubt that's true.

Bloor West FC
06-22-2008, 07:07 AM
The argo's will not come, BMO will expand in the upcoming years! Just keep positive people! :)

joel
06-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Keep making assumptions people

assume the seating setup will change, and not be removeable/flexible
assume the gridiron lines will be on the pitch
assume the distance to the pitch will change

Fiin
06-22-2008, 08:01 AM
We really need some signing or trade rumours.. the locals are getting antsy.

TFC FORZA RPB
06-22-2008, 09:44 AM
that was the best thing i herd all day long, maybe now i might be able to get some seasons

Daveisonfire
06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Keep making assumptions people

assume the seating setup will change, and not be removeable/flexible
assume the gridiron lines will be on the pitch
assume the distance to the pitch will change

Correct me if I'm wrong, kind sir, but aren't you assuming that they won't?

TFC111
06-22-2008, 10:20 AM
The CSA fucking up yet another good thing by going to Montreal and not forcing itself more assertively on BMO Field. They should be demanding grass and to keep it soccer specific. If it becomes a shared facility with North America's oldest homeless sports franchise, then something beautiful and true becomes a joke and another sports marketing grab that loses all its meaning. People around the world laugh at North American sports because all of it is fake and marketing driven. TFC will become that too if they have to share our house with a stupid team playing a silly game that nobody in the world cares about except for two countries.

TFC07
06-22-2008, 10:36 AM
"It [expansion] is a thought in everyone's head," said Dianne Young, general manager and CEO of Exhibition Place. "Will it happen for a year or two? Not likely."

On the touchiest political issue - who would pay for the project, which is estimated to cost between $15-million and $20-million - Exhibition Place chairman and deputy mayor Joe Pantalone was firm.

"The city clearly is not going to pay," he said. "We have already made our investment and it has been very successful."

Told of the comment, Mr. Hunter said "that is a good opening position."

That's what I have thought. Argos aren't coming unless they pay for expansion because if MLSE only pays for expansion, then I highly doubt they'll let the Argos play in BMO field at all.

greatwhitenorf
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Argos are sailing a doomed ship with the NFL about to do to them what Godzilla did to Bambi. BMO Field won't save the CFL in Toronto from withering away.

TFC07
06-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Argos are sailing a doomed ship with the NFL about to do to them what Godzilla did to Bambi. BMO Field won't save the CFL in Toronto from withering away.

I don't know about that. Argos seem to always find a way to survive in Toronto market. I think people who love football, but can't afford to watch NFL live will go to Argos games.

TFC111
06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't know about that. Argos seem to always find a way to survive in Toronto market. I think people who love football, but can't afford to watch NFL live will go to Argos games.

Or save up all their money to go to a couple of NFL games a year. But it's true, the Argos won't ante up to pay for expansion. IF they were ever going to spend money on a stadium, they wouldn't be permanently homeless for 120 years.

J .
06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Id rather keep the stadium as is instead of having the Argos come in. Keep it SSS, build soccer in Canada etc etc.

DOMIN8R
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
"It [expansion] is a thought in everyone's head," said Dianne Young, general manager ......who would pay for the project, which is estimated to cost between $15-million and $20-million -

It will come in closer to $30 million. AND it can't happen before 2010-11.

Marc"2L"
06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
It will come in closer to $30 million. AND it can't happen before 2010-11.

So let me get this straight.....

Stadium cost..70 Million$ - 20 000 seats + pitch + lighting/electronic
Upgrade - 30 Mil$ - 10 000 seats.......

Didn't they say this stadium was designed with upgrade in mind?
A little under half the cost for 1/2 the seating without exspensive shit to install.

Roogsy
06-22-2008, 03:07 PM
If there was nothing but a parking lot there before then there was no "deconstruction". But I am assuming considering now there are footings, structure etc. to consider, those costs add to the construction costs.

Marc"2L"
06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
With the city invovled...somebody should be able to do a search for the construction costs.

DOMIN8R
06-22-2008, 03:15 PM
So let me get this straight.....

Stadium cost..70 Million$ - 20 000 seats + pitch + lighting/electronic
Upgrade - 30 Mil$ - 10 000 seats.......

Didn't they say this stadium was designed with upgrade in mind?
A little under half the cost for 1/2 the seating without exspensive shit to install.

I'm sorry, I should have qualified my statement. It will be closer to $30 milllion to integrate retractable seating among other pointy ball field requirements to accomodate the Argos at BMO Field.

I have no idea what it would cost to add SSS seating.

redcard
06-22-2008, 03:32 PM
and most likely with the south stands on rails, no washrooms under the south stands, where would the extra 10K and the current fans go pee...seems to me that the south stands on rails wont happen, they will end up just pushing us back away from the field.

Marc"2L"
06-22-2008, 03:43 PM
If anything happens with the Argos...we will never ever have grass in our lifetime at BMO field.

Roogsy
06-22-2008, 03:45 PM
If the Argos come in, I will definitely drop 2 of my 4 seasons ticket, probably my more expensive ones. There will be no demand for tickets and whenever I need more, I will simply buy them off the many people who will be selling below face.

Marc"2L"
06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
and most likely with the south stands on rails, no washrooms under the south stands, where would the extra 10K and the current fans go pee...seems to me that the south stands on rails wont happen, they will end up just pushing us back away from the field.

Unless they come up with some badass state of the art system to compete with the shite stadium in New Jersey. Imagine a fully built upper deck above the south end.

Have a surface like the one they just played the superbowl in and move grass in over field turf.

Mikey
06-22-2008, 04:32 PM
boo fucking hoo. they won't do it unless they have removable/adjustable seating anyway, so get over it already, if it's 30,000 and still functions as a proper SSS why do you care?

Thats the bit I never quite understand.... How exactly do they make the seating removable for CFL games while at the same time adding 10,000 seats?

My maths is a bit old school, but usually when you take seats out the total number goes down.

Marc"2L"
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Thats the bit I never quite understand.... How exactly do they make the seating removable for CFL games while at the same time adding 10,000 seats?

My maths is a bit old school, but usually when you take seats out the total number goes down.

I have an idea in my head on how it might work.
Not kidding, If it wasn't for the fact that The argos have completly different colours then us, I think they could work out a deal.

Call me an optimist. But don't get me wrong. I don't want them. The amount of money that would be needed to pull this off would be substantial. I'm thinking a fully built upper tier over the south-end wraping around 110 and 109. Connected to the second tier already there. Same with the north end. Patio goes out.

That much I think is do-able. But because the argos are there...I think a Training ground for the team isn't a bad idea. Could be used by the academy too. Wouldn't be the full time training center, but good for whenever the argos have a game. (+good for academy kids no?) The stadium will be our main training ground. The Argos will have to build they're own training facility, a permanent one.

(I know, long...it's almost over)

The argos pay for their training ground and 3/4 of the upgrades. We take care of the other 1/4 and our training ground.

Paul can I have a job?:D

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 04:57 PM
is the protest back on for the all star game then?

TFC07
06-22-2008, 05:40 PM
$15million-$20million figure only applies to adding 10,000 seats. There's no way it will only cost $15million-$20million to rebuild BMO field for CFL standard.

NateDoGG
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
i dont care if the argos play there aslong as there is NEVER any hash marks on the pitch.... EVER..

and if they are play in our house, i want the north end converted to a full stand, and i want all corners filled in so there is a FULL lower bowl

London
06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
here is my take!!!!

give the argos BMO!!!!!

look at the stadiums going up in RSL, NY, and Phily, and we play in a stadium that is no better than high school stadiums in the USA!!

please build us something worthy of TFC!!!

NateDoGG
06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
i want REAL GRASS

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Lets move the NFL here asap and put the Argos to sleep forever. The argos are a cheap operation in a even cheaper league, if they want a new stadium, go to the feds and provincial gov't to help out...but they won;'t they know its only a matter of time before TO gets a real pointyball league team.

David_Oliveira
06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
If people were at the Finance meeting, they would know that there is little to NO CHANCE of this happening

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
If people were at the Finance meeting, they would know that there is little to NO CHANCE of this happening

never say never....but lets hope not.

Steve-Tor
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Lets move the NFL here asap and put the Argos to sleep forever. The argos are a cheap operation in a even cheaper league, if they want a new stadium, go to the feds and provincial gov't to help out...but they won;'t they know its only a matter of time before TO gets a real pointyball league team.

Good points. And I agree with every point you made.

But the NFL in this joke of a city:confused:

You are having a laugh.

Can you imagine 20,000 Steeler fans coming here to be dealt with by Toronto`s finest.

Not happening here.:(

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:36 PM

You are having a laugh.

Can you imagine 20,000 Steeler fans coming here to be dealt with by Toronto`s finest.

you don't like TOs police!! with the problems that are going to happen at the borders with passports now 20,000 Steelers fans coming here would be a bit much, if you got 2500 that would be good. It's coming to To, whay do you thing the Bills are testing the markets, they can't survive in Buffalo much longer it's a dying city.

Steve-Tor
06-22-2008, 07:38 PM
you don't like TOs police!! with the problems that are going to happen at the borders with passports now 20,000 Steelers fans coming here would be a bit much, if you got 2500 that would be good. It's coming to To, whay do you thing the Bills are testing the markets, they can't survive in Buffalo much longer it's a dying city.

Fair enough.

Let us see what happens when they try the Bills this year.`

I have a strong feeling they will come once, and never come back.

This city does not like people to have a good time.

But, let us wait and see.

BeachRed
06-22-2008, 07:41 PM

You are having a laugh.

Okay, for the record, I really like Toronto and I don't think it's a joke of a city. It does have its problems.

But the idea of an NFL team in a city with no interest in high school or college football would be new. Of course, minor league (including college) sports have never drawn very many crowds in Canada, and Toronto seems like a city that only supports sports at the highest levels (Leafs yes- Marlies no, TFC yes-Lynx no), so maybe the NFL would work.

I still think the main thing keeping the NFL out is the franachise fee. Houston paid $700 million. The potential owners think they can get some kind of deal on the Bills, but they'll likely have to outbid LA. It's just too much money for anyone in Toronto.

The Argos, of course, should team with the U of T or York, or a whole bunch of colleges, or something. There should be a decent 25,000 seat football stadium in Toronto for college, university and high school football.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Okay, for the record, I really like Toronto and I don't think it's a joke of a city. It does have its problems.

But the idea of an NFL team in a city with no interest in high school or college football would be new. Of course, minor league (including college) sports have never drawn very many crowds in Canada, and Toronto seems like a city that only supports sports at the highest levels (Leafs yes- Marlies no, TFC yes-Lynx no), so maybe the NFL would work.

I still think the main thing keeping the NFL out is the franachise fee. Houston paid $700 million. The potential owners think they can get some kind of deal on the Bills, but they'll likely have to outbid LA. It's just too much money for anyone in Toronto.

The Argos, of course, should team with the U of T or York, or a whole bunch of colleges, or something. There should be a decent 25,000 seat football stadium in Toronto for college, university and high school football.

Rogers and the Jays group who are looking at buyiing an NFL team, have that kind of money, they should i just checked my rogers bill...crooks!!;)

Steve-Tor
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM

I meant as a sports town and an entertainment friendly environment for people wanting to have a good time outside the boundaries.

I have been here many years and make a very good living here.

I am not slaggin the city as a whole. I am just questioning the viability of an NFL franchise here as I am sure anyone who has been to a college or NFL game in the States would wonder just how it would work here with any success:)

Steve-Tor
06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Roand the Jays group who are looking at buyiing an NFL team, have that kind of money, they should i just checked my rogers bill...crooks!!;)

Uncle Ted is taking over mate.

Not with Cito back in charge though surely:eek:

:D:D

BeachRed
06-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Rogers and the Jays group who are looking at buyiing an NFL team, have that kind of money, they should i just checked my rogers bill...crooks!!;)

Oh yeah, they've got money - I just don't think they'll spend that much.

I always find all this "NFL coming to Toronto" talk funny - the NFL would be here in a second if someone put up the money. It's just about the money.

I can't imagine how much Rogers bills will be if they get into something as expensive as the NFL. Idiots.

also, I think it's funny that MLSE is looking at an English soccer team - it seems like a much smarter buy.

BeachRed
06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I meant as a sports town and an entertainment friendly environment for people wanting to have a good time outside the boundaries.

I have been here many years and make a very good living here.

I am not slaggin the city as a whole. I am just questioning the viability of an NFL franchise here as I am sure anyone who has been to a college or NFL game in the States would wonder just how it would work here with any success:)

You're right, I don't see it either. The thing is, the NFL hasn't really sold anywhere outside the US. People keep saying it would work in Mexico or Tokyo - maybe.

But I really think soccer has a much better chance of becoming a major sport in North America than NFL football does of becoming popular in Europe or South America or Asia or Africa.

Bringing an NFL team to Toronto is thirty years too late.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Oh yeah, they've got money - I just don't think they'll spend that much.

I always find all this "NFL coming to Toronto" talk funny - the NFL would be here in a second if someone put up the money. It's just about the money.

I can't imagine how much Rogers bills will be if they get into something as expensive as the NFL. Idiots.

also, I think it's funny that MLSE is looking at an English soccer team - it seems like a much smarter buy.

i can't see them buying Leeds...too much debt there...one of the Shieffied teams? possible

joel
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, kind sir, but aren't you assuming that they won't?

not making any assumptions at all, I don't make the decisions, so why would I assume anything,and continually create threads about it.."

the sky is falling the sky is falling!!!111!"

you know that sort of thing

BoobsFC
06-22-2008, 10:12 PM
here is my take!!!!

give the argos BMO!!!!!

look at the stadiums going up in RSL, NY, and Phily, and we play in a stadium that is no better than high school stadiums in the USA!!

please build us something worthy of TFC!!!

QFT!
My man said it right!

Now get ready for the inevitable "OMG BUT BMO IS OUR HOUSE AND IT IS AMAZING"

Honest truth from my perspective, BMO is quickly becoming the ugliest piece of trash in the MLS, and the sad part is it was just built...

Why does a shite team like RSL get such a fancy stadium and we are stuck with Lamport Senior?

rocker
06-23-2008, 09:04 PM
can somebody name me an outdoor stadium that has a moveable stand on rails?
Skydome has such a thing, but it's indoors... outdoors presents more difficulties.

everyone throws this out and some sort of solution but that's asking a lot of the tech design.

NF-FC
06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
can somebody name me an outdoor stadium that has a moveable stand on rails?
Skydome has such a thing, but it's indoors... outdoors presents more difficulties.

everyone throws this out and some sort of solution but that's asking a lot of the tech design.

mile high stadium in denver had this. they used to move the one side stand back so the rockies could play there

rocker
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
mile high stadium in denver had this. they used to move the one side stand back so the rockies could play there

that wasn't on rails tho... it was a pretty massive hydraulic operation. for a 76000 seat stadium that's reasonable but not for a small one.

anyhow, i doubt they'd use movable seats because it adds costs. the cheapest solution is to build traditional stands, not dabble in technology that almost nobody uses.
it also doesn't solve the problem of centering the field properly and the effect on the north end.
by my calculations long ago it just wouldn't fit without causing problems with the north end staircase.

David_Oliveira
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
never say never....but lets hope not.

According to Jack (if I remember correctly) it would cost close to 15 million to renovate the stadium. As part of the deal, MLSE said they would not want the soccer experience ruined (ie: the annoying pointyball lines). Also the seats would have to be exactly where they are now not an inch further. The argos are worth $3 million. Why in the blue hell would they waste close to 4 times as much as they are worth to pay for this shit. So Business wize, it's a shitty decision. so I doubt it will ever EVER happen

Toronto Ruffrider
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
that wasn't on rails tho... it was a pretty massive hydraulic operation. for a 76000 seat stadium that's reasonable but not for a small one.

anyhow, i doubt they'd use movable seats because it adds costs. the cheapest solution is to build traditional stands, not dabble in technology that almost nobody uses.
it also doesn't solve the problem of centering the field properly and the effect on the north end.
by my calculations long ago it just wouldn't fit without causing problems with the north end staircase.

True, the existing stadium doesn't appear to be compatible with movable end stands. What makes movable stands even less plausible is that it would be impossible to build any permanent infrastructure - washrooms, concessions - under them. The more I try to visualise a multi-purpose BMO Field, the more half-baked the idea seems to become.

MFBODD
06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I really wish people would stop comparing the NFL to the CFL... That's like comparing MLS to the EPL...not worth the time. We don't have the same quality, but we still support the team, right? Same thing happens with the CFL. I personally do not want to see a 135 year old club die, or a league that is Canadian. I also do not want to share a stadium. All sports are meant to have a specific stadium built for one game only. Mixed stadiums blow large and I hope this doesn't happen. The Argos get 30,000 per game, tv ratings are fine, they have a sweet deal at Skydome...why move? The Bills won't be coming here for a while...

greatwhitenorf
06-23-2008, 10:38 PM
The Argos enjoyed a higher-than-average attendance last year because they used the Grey Cup to boost season ticket sales. Normally, they're quite pleased getting over the 25,000 mark and it wasn't so long ago that crowds in the teens were seen at the dome.

Put a bad Argos team into an outdoor stadium in the cold nights of late October or mid-November and you'll be lucky to see a half-full stadium.

It's never going to justify jeopardizing the growing success of soccer to have the Argos share BMO Field.

TFC07
06-23-2008, 10:40 PM

Pointyball is shit in general. I hope NFL doesn't come to Toronto and I hope Argos move to Ottawa or somewhere else instead of BMO field.

greatwhitenorf
06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I want a league full of your avatar girls.

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
The Argos need to sort out their own mess. Argos fans don't care where they see the game as long as their leaving the Rogers Centre. I don't want more seats. I want the demand to continue. I don't have seasons but have found ways to get tix every time. I wait as patiently as possible for seasons. I want to see grass. Get the National team in the stadium, grow the sport not just TFC and a by product is letting the Argos clean up the mess they've made. Move to York already.