PDA

View Full Version : Lampard wants to play in MLS

STB
05-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Lamps eyes US swansong:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6176334,00.html

Asked about Beckham, Lampard said: "It's his decision, isn't it? When he went, I thought, maybe he's gone too early, but the more I thought about it, I thought, if that's what he wants to do, let him do it.

"I'd like to go and play in America when I'm 36 or 35 but you can't take away someone's right to go and play where they want."

Kaz
05-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Na the dude wants to retire in North America, when he's past his prime hoping to get a pay cheque, Thankfully MLS will hopefully not want him...

I don't think any team in the league should want a player that says something like that.

nfitz
05-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Why on earth would we want washed-up players who are too old to play?

Fort York Redcoat
05-28-2010, 07:33 AM
^Because they're better than half the players already here and attract 10 times the people to the game.

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Fuck off Fat Frank, stay away from the MLS. By the time you're 35/36 you'll probably be too overweight and out of shape to keep up with Pat Onstad nevermind the rest of the league. :rofl:

STB
05-28-2010, 07:38 AM
^Because they're better than half the players already here and attract 10 times the people to the game.

That the real answer !!! :(

Fort York Redcoat
05-28-2010, 07:40 AM
^Also why we won't see the end of meaningless midseason friendlies...

T_Mizz
05-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Fuck off Fat Frank, stay away from the MLS. By the time you're 35/36 you'll probably be too overweight and out of shape to keep up with Pat Onstad nevermind the rest of the league. :rofl:
No doubt he'll still be in the league until his mid 50's

Gazza
05-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Just imagine how fat he'll be when he's 36...thanks, but no thanks.

"10 men couldn't carry, couldn't carry Lampard!"

Manpon
05-28-2010, 07:58 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061003202307/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/7/7d/Lamparduy2tl8.jpg/250px-Lamparduy2tl8.jpg

Belfast_Boy
05-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Damn right! at 35 or 36 guys like Frank will still have something to offer in MLS. he won't be as fast but he'll be smarter than most of the player out there.

I seem to remember another player that came to play for us at the end of his career. anyone want to say he didn't contribute?

bangersandmash
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
seem to remember another player that came to play for us at the end of his career. anyone want to say he didn't contribute?

Yes. Robert didn't contribute. There, I said it. Its out there. Oh... wait... were you talking about Ricketts?

TFC OZZ
05-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Good news, Lampard's better than Blanco as far as I'm concernced; and at around the same age I feel like he'd offer more to his club. I'd welcome this move.

Belfast_Boy
05-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes. Robert didn't contribute. There, I said it. Its out there. Oh... wait... were you talking about Ricketts?

funny...

this league is made up of guys that can't make in europe and guys that are either too young or too old to play there.

players like Danny, Beckham and even Freddie can offer a lot of knowledge to the younger players.

Kaz
05-28-2010, 08:29 AM
People realize that Angel is only 34 now, DD is just now 35. Angel contributions are becoming more of leader then goal scorer and play maker. He could easily be replaced by any of MLS' top talent right now as far as putting the ball in the back.

Hence at 35 no one needs him, even given his relative skill level, (even Pele retired at 35) He wants to come let him, season tickets for the Red Bulls are pretty cheap I'm sure he can score a set.

Joe Kool
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
He is one of my favourites from the EPL for sure and I would love to add a TFC Lampard jersey to the collection of Chelsea Lampard shirts I own. Any knowledge and skills that can be transferred to MLS is welcome as far as I am concerned.

MartinUtd
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM

lol, And I bet Onstad is still playing too

MUFC_Niagara
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Why on earth would we want washed-up players who are too old to play?

Because this league is shit and Lampard at 35 is way better than our best player at 20.

Belfast_Boy
05-28-2010, 08:44 AM
People realize that Angel is only 34 now, DD is just now 35. Angel contributions are becoming more of leader then goal scorer and play maker. He could easily be replaced by any of MLS' top talent right now as far as putting the ball in the back.

Hence at 35 no one needs him, even given his relative skill level, (even Pele retired at 35) He wants to come let him, season tickets for the Red Bulls are pretty cheap I'm sure he can score a set.

the conditioning of players is much different now than it was when Pele was playing.

I saw Pele play for NY and I feel lucky to do so. wouldn't it be great for a little Chelsea fan to see his hero play too?

bangersandmash
05-28-2010, 08:45 AM
players like Danny, Beckham and even Freddie can offer a lot of knowledge to the younger players.

I get your point -- that top players from top leagues can bring intangibles (and even goals) to MLS. But I think that MLS players respond more to the likes of DeRo, Donavon and Kries (I offer Kries because he transitioned from player to captain to coach then won an MLS cup without the use of a DP). The more leadership these guys provide on their respective teams, the better those teams are. Look how good a Beckham-less Galaxy has been.

Lamps would be a great addition to any team. No question. I just don't like it when players say they'd like to end their careers in MLS. If you want to come and play, then come and play. The league is young enough that you could end up a living legend if you just gave the years, sweat and blood to it. Just give the league some respect first.

Juanito
05-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Jason. If Giggs say he will play in MLS after his contract is up with Manchester United, I'm 100% sure that you and the rest of the United boys would line up to greet him like 12-year old girls at a Justin Bieber concert.

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Jason. If Giggs say he will play in MLS after his contract is up with Manchester United, I'm 100% sure that you and the rest of the United boys would line up to greet him like 12-year old girls at a Justin Bieber concert.

No diggity, no doubt. Giggs is a legend and Fat Frank is well.. Fat Frank. ;)

MartinUtd
05-28-2010, 08:54 AM

To be fair, very few players hold it together in their mid 30's like Giggs. You can't really expect a favourable reaction to a player saying they'd like to play here when they're 36. 32-34 sure, but saying 36 is the time to migrate is kind of a dick thing to say.

Belfast_Boy
05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
I get your point -- that top players from top leagues can bring intangibles (and even goals) to MLS. But I think that MLS players respond more to the likes of DeRo, Donavon and Kries (I offer Kries because he transitioned from player to captain to coach then won an MLS cup without the use of a DP). The more leadership these guys provide on their respective teams, the better those teams are. Look how good a Beckham-less Galaxy has been.

Lamps would be a great addition to any team. No question. I just don't like it when players say they'd like to end their careers in MLS. If you want to come and play, then come and play. The league is young enough that you could end up a living legend if you just gave the years, sweat and blood to it. Just give the league some respect first.

good points.

IMO guys like Frank are competitive at everything. I bet he hates to lose at miniture golf, cards and monopoly too. I could be wrong but I'm sure he'd play hard till the end.

I know it sucks to hear that our league is viewed by some as the retirement home of football.

Juanito
05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
To be fair, very few players hold it together in their mid 30's like Giggs. You can't really expect a favourable reaction to a player saying they'd like to play here when they're 36. 32-34 sure, but saying 36 is the time to migrate is kind of a dick thing to say.

I agree. We just have to realize that MLS is not at the same level as the top European leagues, and we shouldn't be surprised. I think that if we keep growing, in another 10-15 years, the football will be at a point that we would not welcome with open arms these guys. Until then, we have to.

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Agreed, to go along with that... does anyone actually think at 36 that Fat Frank would actually still even be an attraction to EPL teams?

Giggs is masterclass, one of the few and far between. Bad example Juan. ;)

Oldtimer
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Because this league is shit and Lampard at 35 is way better than our best player at 20.

This league is compared by most to the lower half of the Championship. That's not exactly "shit."

If Lampard could line up a gig with a Championship club at 35, he'd be welcome here.

Juanito
05-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Agreed, to go along with that... does anyone actually think at 36 that Fat Frank would actually still even be an attraction to EPL teams?

Giggs is masterclass, one of the few and far between. Bad example Juan. ;)

Fair enough. I respect Father Time as well ... Fat Frank, not so much, although he is quality.

OneLoveOneEric
05-28-2010, 09:06 AM
No... the league is pretty much shit.
Anyone who wouldn't welcome Lamps with open arms should give their head a shake. I can't stand the guy, but fact is he knocks in over 20 league goals every year from midfield, which is an impressive feat. And he has a fantastic footballer's brain. Like Tim said on the United thread, Denis Irwin was in town last night and said that fast players were the easiest players to defend against because all they do is push and run. The tough ones, he said, were the ones with a brain. Fwank is one of those players, as much as it pains me to say it. We'd be lucky as hell to have him.

Belfast_Boy
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
one more point.

guys like Frank or Giggs shouldn't play for another English team. it's just wrong. they have to leave the country.

ManUtd4ever
05-28-2010, 09:11 AM
The main issue is that for the time being, MLS clubs cannot realistically afford to bid for the services of European stars of the ilk of Beckham, Henry, Raul, and Lampard while they are still in their prime. The MLS is simply a more prestigious alternative for these players in the twilight of their careers as opposed to collecting a comparable paycheque from a lower tier European club. If Fat Frank is in shape and can contribute at the age of 35, I'd take him in a heartbeat for TFC...

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
No... the league is pretty much shit.
Anyone who wouldn't welcome Lamps with open arms should give their head a shake. I can't stand the guy, but fact is he knocks in over 20 league goals every year from midfield, which is an impressive feat. And he has a fantastic footballer's brain. Like Tim said on the United thread, Denis Irwin was in town last night and said that fast players were the easiest players to defend against because all they do is push and run. The tough ones, he said, were the ones with a brain. Fwank is one of those players, as much as it pains me to say it. We'd be lucky as hell to have him.

Oh trust me, I know he would do well in this league, I just don't want him here cause I don't like him. :lol:

tfcleeds
05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Piss off Fat Frank...yet another player who thinks he can waltz in here in his mid-30s for a gentle stroll before he retires. I think plenty of other players who have come to MLS with that attitude have been proven wrong. He may find at 36 he will be fighting for a first team place. The quality of this league is improving all the time, and 5 years is still a ways away.

Shakes McQueen
05-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Headline should read "World-Class Player Says He's Might Play in MLS Once He's Old". Woop de doo.

- Scott

JonO
05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Piss off Fat Frank...yet another player who thinks he can waltz in here in his mid-30s for a gentle stroll before he retires. I think plenty of other players who have come to MLS with that attitude have been proven wrong. He may find at 36 he will be fighting for a first team place. The quality of this league is improving all the time, and 5 years is still a ways away.
This plus there is no saying how much his game will deteriorate in 4 or 5 years. This is a ridiculously speculative thread.

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
This plus there is no saying how much his game will deteriorate in 4 or 5 years. This is a ridiculously speculative thread.

Dude... look where it's posted. Did you really expect any less? :lol:

J .
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Lampard at 33,34 would be able to do well in a certain MLS system if he was in shape. MLS is a physical league and you need to be able to play in it.

Suds
05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
EPL stats

Giggs - 548 games, 103 goals
Lampard - 467 games, 129 goals

drewski
05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh trust me, I know he would do well in this league, I just don't want him here cause I don't like him. :lol:

This league is compared by most to the lower half of the Championship. That's not exactly "shit."

If Lampard could line up a gig with a Championship club at 35, he'd be welcome here.

then maybe we should go after Nicky Butt, a 35 y/o MF mulling over an offer from team int he lower half of the Championship :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1281994/Free-agent-Nicky-Butt-considering-offer-Preston-boss-Darren-Ferguson-extend-playing-days.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/117981448/RNDGPP.JPG

bangersandmash
05-28-2010, 11:44 AM
EPL stats

Giggs - 548 games, 103 goals, 99 assists, 11 premier league titles, 4 FA cups, 3 League cups, 7 community shields, 2 UEFA chapions Leagues, 1 UEFA super cup, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 FIFA World Club Cup.
Lampard - 467 games, 129 goals 99 assists, 1 Intertoto cup, 3 premier league titles, 2 league cups

Fixed. :) Frank's an impressive property, but I think Giggs brings more to a club.

Mikey
05-28-2010, 12:09 PM
I seem to remember another player that came to play for us at the end of his career. anyone want to say he didn't contribute?

End of his career because he came to play for us, or coming to play for us marks the end of his career....? :facepalm:

torontocelt
05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Lampard at 33,34 would be able to do well in a certain MLS system if he was in shape. MLS is a physical league and you need to be able to play in it.

Frank Lampard is 32 on June 20th... I think Lampard at 33, one year down the line, would still be far too good a player for any MLS team.

This according to wiki is his stats for the past couple of seasons, He has played fewer games but has scored more goals and provided more assists than the previous year. I would expect him to have the same kind of consistency next season based on the below and if he remains with Chelsea. He might not score as much goals but not many midfielders can continue to have the level of consistency in front of the net that he has had.

Season 2008 / 2009
played 58 Goals 20 Assits 19

Season 2009 / 2010
played 50 Goals 27 Assists 20

Personally I do not like Chelsea much but there is no doubt that Lampard is an incredibly consistent footballer who is not going to slow down too much in the next couple of years unless he gets a bad injury.

torontocelt
05-28-2010, 12:40 PM
EPL stats

Giggs - 548 games, 103 goals
Lampard - 467 games, 129 goals

Its pointless comparing the two as they are different kind of players and play in different positions.

Both have had fantastic careers so far and both will be remembered for being the great players that they are.

Giggs is the better natural footballer but Lampard is so effective it is crazy.

TorCanSoc
05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Headline should read "World-Class Player Says He's Might Play in MLS Once He's Old". Woop de doo.

- Scott
Ha ha, well said.

If MLS makes its ascent like the past 10 years. It will be a very very different league. The salary cap I imagine will be over 5 million. They will have 4 DPs per team. I imagine in 5 years will be the first of a few young up and coming Euro players to make a leap of faith.

And the in the 2014 world cup, the U.S. will be favoured to win their group. And an American will lead either Serie A, La Liga or the EPL's scoring race.

Suds
05-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Fixed. :) Frank's an impressive property, but I think Giggs brings more to a club.

so what you're saying is Giggs has played for a far superior club than Lampard yet Frank has still been able to put up better stats in a shorter period of time

thanks for helping me prove my point ;)

bangersandmash
05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
so what you're saying is Giggs has played for a far superior club than Lampard yet Frank has still been able to put up better stats in a shorter period of time

thanks for helping me prove my point ;)

Anytime. But its not a one or the other comparison.

Manchester United with Ryan Giggs is better than Manchester United without Ryan Giggs. You can watch United falter when Giggs is injured. He is the constant player in *all* of their titles since 1991. Other big names have come and gone (and to be fair, made an impact), but Giggs has shown the power to transform even mediocre United sides into title winning sides (see: 2009 when he won the PFA award). Like the spirit if Jebadiah Springfield he embiggens us all. Chelsea don't falter the same way when Frank isn't there. They falter when Essien or Drogba isn't there, but they make do when Frank isn't (not that he misses many games). Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve respect as a footballer.

I'd take either player for TFC. But I think that Giggs brings more of the "intangibles." And, he's still doing it at 36. In the prem. If you're looking for a seasoned player to come into the MLS and provide leadership to the youngins, I think Giggs is the man.

Suds
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Anytime. But its not a one or the other comparison.

Manchester United with Ryan Giggs is better than Manchester United without Ryan Giggs. You can watch United falter when Giggs is injured. He is the constant player in *all* of their titles since 1991. Other big names have come and gone (and to be fair, made an impact), but Giggs has shown the power to transform even mediocre United sides into title winning sides (see: 2009 when he won the PFA award). Like the spirit if Jebadiah Springfield he embiggens us all. Chelsea don't falter the same way when Frank isn't there. They falter when Essien or Drogba isn't there, but they make do when Frank isn't (not that he misses many games). Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve respect as a footballer.

I'd take either player for TFC. But I think that Giggs brings more of the "intangibles." And, he's still doing it at 36. In the prem. If you're looking for a seasoned player to come into the MLS and provide leadership to the youngins, I think Giggs is the man.

dude, relax ... the winkie means I'm saying that tongue in cheek ...

I know Giggs is a great player

bangersandmash
05-28-2010, 02:12 PM
dude, relax ... the winkie means I'm saying that tongue in cheek ...

I know Giggs is a great player

Aw crap, did it come off like that? Sorry. Wasn't trying to win an argument. Relaxation mode engaged.

Suds
05-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Aw crap, did it come off like that? Sorry. Wasn't trying to win an argument. Relaxation mode engaged.

haha ... no worries, man

torontocelt
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Chelsea don't falter the same way when Frank isn't there. They falter when Essien or Drogba isn't there, but they make do when Frank isn't (not that he misses many games). Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve respect as a footballer.

Yep, I dunno what kind of point you are trying to make there as Lampard is averaging 53 games a season for chelsea since he signed, that is over 9 seasons. That is according to wiki which may be wrong. His stats are a goal every 3 games from midfield and an assist every five games. I'm not being cheeky but how do you remember the games when he doesn't play when he plays probably very close to them all and from his stats he is obviously having a big impact on the pitch?

bangersandmash
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Yep, I dunno what kind of point you are trying to make there as Lampard is averaging 53 games a season for chelsea since he signed, that is over 9 seasons. That is according to wiki which may be wrong. His stats are a goal every 3 games from midfield and an assist every five games. I'm not being cheeky but how do you remember the games when he doesn't play when he plays probably very close to them all and from his stats he is obviously having a big impact on the pitch?

The point was that on the whole Chelsea have had -- for several years now -- a stronger club than United. But when Giggs has been healthy United have manged to overcome on-paper differences and bring home a few big-value trophies. I believe that a United without Giggs suffers more than a Chelsea without Lampard because Chelsea has more depth to cover over or adapt. That's all. As I said to Suds, I wasn't trying to win an argument. Just adding colour to a discussion.