PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,May 28

denime
05-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Mornin'

Meaningless finale just fine for TFC (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/815480--meaningless-finale-just-fine-for-tfc)

Focus Shifts To Matter At Hand (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/lukewilemanreports)

Forget Columbus-LA ... San Jose-Toronto is THE game (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/throw-forget-columbus-la-san-jose-toronto-game)

SUNSHINE
(http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

keem-o-sabi
05-28-2010, 06:48 AM
coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/27/miss-coed-daniella-valentina/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/26/megan-fox-vs-rosie-huntington-transformers-showdown/)

Technorgasm
05-28-2010, 07:15 AM
John Freedman hits the nail on the head with his article. .

yes there is a leader on leader showdown Crew v KLA.

But the resurgence of Jan Jose and Toronto has "upset" written all over it.

Loved hearing abotu hard nosed preki bringing dicipline to the squad too. . . .

HAPPY FRIDAY!
UP THE REDS!

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Forget Columbus-LA ... San Jose-Toronto is THE game (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/throw-forget-columbus-la-san-jose-toronto-game)

(http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Great article and a fantastic quote for those still not sold on Preki..

Recalled Garcia, “From Day 1, he told us, ‘You’re either going to like it or you’re not – If you don’t get on board, you won’t be here.’ It’s not like a magical potion, but he’s been making sure there’s a discipline there we’ve been lacking. Our young guys may never have had it before.”
And discipline is what they’re getting. When TFC (http://www.torontofc.ca/) play well, they comprehend each other’s roles perfectly, with a clear idea of positioning and the understanding that they can’t overextend. (Well, all except Dwayne De Rosario (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/dwayne-de-rosario), who’s better without constraints – and Preki knows it).

Oldtimer
05-28-2010, 07:53 AM
It seemed insane when Preki dumped a lot of MoJo's guys: Robbo, Brennan, Serioux, etc.... (Guevara left himself), after all, weren't we told by MoJo that all we needed were 3 players? Also, the terrible early results when the roster was in constant flux made it seem that a system meltdown was coming.

However, now we see that there was method in Preki's "madness." Discipline, proper positioning, no more locker-room dramas, a rock-solid defense, Barrett finding his touch, DeRo overachieving since becoming captain... Preki knows what he is doing.

koryo
05-28-2010, 08:01 AM
From start, I was willing to give Preki time. He seems to be righting the good ship TFC.

Remember two things:

1. it's a long season. A lot can yet go wrong

2. Preki seems to be the Mike Keenan of this league. His methods will pay relatively short-term dividends (a season or two) but sooner or later those methods will cause him to lose the dressing room.

rocker
05-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Shalrie Joseph speaks .... he wasn't using cocaine or heroin....

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/soccer/revolution/view.bg?articleid=1257888&srvc=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bostonherald%2Fsports%2Fsocce r+%28Revolution+%26+Soccer+-+BostonHerald.com%29&utm_content=Bloglines

When I was shocked to see Shalrie back during the Revs game, I told my dad "Shalrie was in drug rehab!" And my dad said "I bet all those guys in the south end would test positive."

ManUtd4ever
05-28-2010, 08:26 AM
From start, I was willing to give Preki time. He seems to be righting the good ship TFC.

Remember two things:

1. it's a long season. A lot can yet go wrong

2. Preki seems to be the Mike Keenan of this league. His methods will pay relatively short-term dividends (a season or two) but sooner or later those methods will cause him to lose the dressing room.

I agree with the Keenan - Preki analogy in terms of their disciplinarian, tactical approach to their respective sports. However, Mike Keenan was generally despised by most of his players throughout his career. Conversely, Preki has demonstrated that he is also a players coach based on his approach to working with past underachievers such as Barrett and Garcia. It seems that if the players are willing to buy into his system and put forth the effort, he rewards them with encouragement and faith in their abilities.

Inevitably, all managers have an expiration date as it is the nature of the industry. Time will tell, but I haven't seen any signs of Preki having the type of personality that would lose the dressing room thus far...

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
^^ It seems the only people that actually 'dislike' Preki are those who have their heads in the sky. Guevara has always been that kind of player, and even DeRo to some extent. This is why I'd be surprised if we got a big name DP while Preki's here... unless it's forced upon him, or it's the 'perfect fit' kind of situation.

ManUtd4ever
05-28-2010, 08:41 AM
^^ It seems the only people that actually 'dislike' Preki are those who have their heads in the sky. Guevara has always been that kind of player, and even DeRo to some extent. This is why I'd be surprised if we got a big name DP while Preki's here... unless it's forced upon him, or it's the 'perfect fit' kind of situation.

I agree. Any TFC DP player signing would have to have his feet planted firmly on the ground. If his ego isn't checked at the door, he will definitely clash with Preki...

Oldtimer
05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I agree. Any TFC DP player signing would have to have his feet planted firmly on the ground. If his ego isn't checked at the door, he will definitely clash with Preki...

Yes, Preki will be in charge of the team. Prima Donnas need not apply.

drewski
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I understand the drug rules are general, but I still find it hilarious that he got sent to rehab for pot

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 09:01 AM
LOL Shalrie just got that much cooler in Canada.... :stogey:

Shalrie to TFC? :lol:

drewski
05-28-2010, 09:10 AM

I think he's prefer Vancouver ;)

scooter
05-28-2010, 09:24 AM
mornin d

Whoop
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Keenan, like Preki and all coaches, had players that hated and players that would go through a brick wall for them.

Disciplinarians don't tend to last very long, it's usually short term. But it will also depend on how much say Preki in which players are signed.

I think given the nature of the MLS and playoffs, you can get away with a lunch pail gang but at some point, especially if you want to do well in the CCL, you're going to need more skill and that's where the issues may lie.

We'll see. It's still a long season.

scooter
05-28-2010, 09:29 AM

agreed
but i am sure that preki will tell any player comming to t.o. how it is way before they get here because if they dont fit his style and system he wont want them anyways

look what he has done already -- he has taken a group of decent players not superstars and in 4 months has turned them into a team

i know i am a dreamer but i'm not the only one

:scarf::canada::drum:

Dub Narcotic
05-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Keenan, like Preki and all coaches, had players that hated and players that would go through a brick wall for them.

Disciplinarians don't tend to last very long, it's usually short term. But it will also depend on how much say Preki in which players are signed.

I think given the nature of the MLS and playoffs, you can get away with a lunch pail gang but at some point, especially if you want to do well in the CCL, you're going to need more skill and that's where the issues may lie.

I think Preki can last a while. There's a lot of roster turnover in the league, and Toronto has a stronger organization than Chivas. Hopefully, Preki has also learned to pick his spots a little bit; Bill Belichick only became great in his second head job, for example.

Shaughno
05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

Why's that? They don't have any better strains than we do... in fact, we have all their strains, and more! ;)

agreed
but i am sure that preki will tell any player comming to t.o. how it is way before they get here because if they dont fit his style and system he wont want them anyways

look what he has done already -- he has taken a group of decent players not superstars and in 4 months has turned them into a team

i know i am a dreamer but i'm not the only one

:scarf::canada::drum:

I hope someday you'll join us...
and we'll blaze the doobie as one! :stogey:

Stouffville_RPB
05-28-2010, 09:52 AM

This is Preki's downfall. He's good when it comes to work ethic and giving 100% on the pitch but he isn't a great coach when it comes to more skilled players.

Exhibit A - Amado Guevara (we all know of their history)

Exhibit B - Sacha Kjesten was a guy that was a rising star and on the cusp of breaking through as a key part of the future of the USMNT. 3 years of Preki and he's now so far off the radar.

Working hard is great but there is only so far effort will take you. There comes a point, playoffs or CCL, when you need the skill players.

Preki can bring us the greatest success we've had so far but he will have to adapt at least a little to take TFC all the way. Hopefully he can do that.

Beach_Red
05-28-2010, 10:00 AM
I think Preki can last a while. There's a lot of roster turnover in the league, and Toronto has a stronger organization than Chivas. Hopefully, Preki has also learned to pick his spots a little bit; Bill Belichick only became great in his second head job, for example.

That's a good point and it's happened many times. People do learn from experience.

scooter
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Why's that? They don't have any better strains than we do... in fact, we have all their strains, and more! ;)

I hope someday you'll join us...
and we'll blaze the doobie as one! :stogey:

sweet

drewski
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM

ya, but the pace of life out there is more to a pothead's liking :)

drexel10
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
This is Preki's downfall. He's good when it comes to work ethic and giving 100% on the pitch but he isn't a great coach when it comes to more skilled players.

Exhibit B - Sacha Kjesten was a guy that was a rising star and on the cusp of breaking through as a key part of the future of the USMNT. 3 years of Preki and he's now so far off the radar.

Working hard is great but there is only so far effort will take you. There comes a point, playoffs or CCL, when you need the skill players.

Preki can bring us the greatest success we've had so far but he will have to adapt at least a little to take TFC all the way. Hopefully he can do that.

Sacha played well with Preki, he was denied a move abroad by the league and that is when he became less inspiring. Had nothing to do with Preki, because his rise to the national level was in fact on Preki's team.

Oldtimer
05-28-2010, 10:23 AM

I know, how long did this guy last at Real Madrid?

http://im.rediff.com/sports/2007/dec/14cap.jpg

Still... he did bring them silverware!

Preki's definitely got the same mentality:

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/24/8a/8561096e46e499e9b6f46cf764f1.jpeg

dawkins
05-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I know that alot of people would love to have seen the boys play an exciting final for the cup but after watching the limpact and whitecaps game on wed, i have to say that there was no way that either one of those teams were going to beat the reds. Wed game looked like they were just hacking at the ball... there was little to no teamwork.

The reds are litarly just out of thier leauge. TFC has depth and innovation that montreal and vancouver just dont have. I do with them luck when they enter the msl but i really think they are going to have a hard time playing the likes of Toronto, Huston and LA.

over all... this is a tourny that TFC should have won and although they did push themselves hard... untill the limpact and whitecaps start playing better, TFC should never have any problems winning this tourny in the future.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Sacha played well with Preki, he was denied a move abroad by the league and that is when he became less inspiring. Had nothing to do with Preki, because his rise to the national level was in fact on Preki's team.

exactly what iw as thinking.

koryo
05-28-2010, 10:42 AM

Ger'rim in!

Wooster_TFC
05-28-2010, 10:44 AM

People seem to say this all the time, that you can't have just hard workers, you need skill players too. But, to be honest, I'm not sure how the two are mutually exclusive. Both Guevara and Kliestan (from what I've heard) were lazy asses that thought their skills would get them by. If you want some real examples, here you go:

Example A: Dwayne DeRosario. Skilled player who appears to be at the top of his game since Preki showed up. Gives 110% game in, game out, and from everything we've heard at practice too.

Example B: Julian DeGuzman. Highly skilled player who has won player of the year in La Liga. Came in last year to mixed results (pretty much to negative reviews). Since Preki has arrived, nearly all the balls through the midfield go through him, and he seems to be a tireless worker.

I'm fairly certain that most of the top players in the world (Drogba, Ronaldo, Messi, etc) didn't get there on skill alone.

rocker
05-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not worried about Preki in the CCL. Montreal made it to the quarters with less talent than TFC has, but with a coach that stressed hard work and team play (John Limniatis).

Of course eventually they hit a wall in Mexico (ha ha). But again, Limp Act did not have anyone as good as De Ro, De Guz etc.

ganzo_thebest
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm not worried about Preki in the CCL. Montreal made it to the quarters with less talent than TFC has, but with a coach that stressed hard work and team play (John Limniatis).

Of course eventually they hit a wall in Mexico (ha ha). But again, Limp Act did not have anyone as good as De Ro, De Guz etc.

Good point....and I believe that JDG would thrive with a bit more skillful competition, much like in la liga, from the mexican'ts and the central americans!!!

:flare::scarf::flare:

devioustrevor
05-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Perhaps. But Montreal also had a crafty, wily, goal-poaching forward in Eddie Sebrango. We don't have one of them.

Oldtimer
05-28-2010, 12:05 PM

... and defence first. I actually think Montreal made a big mistake in replacing Limniatiis, they certainly haven't matched their performance under him since.

Of course Montreal had to face Real Esteli to get into the group stage (not exactly a powerhouse team), instead of Motagua, but they still made it beyond the group stage.

In CONCACAF, the teams with a solid defense have tended to be those that do well. It will be a real challenge for Preki and the boys, no doubt, but I wouldn't count TFC out at this point.

BFin
05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
When I was shocked to see Shalrie back during the Revs game, I told my dad "Shalrie was in drug rehab!" And my dad said "I bet all those guys in the south end would test positive."

That's nice of him. Gotta love stereo typing a wide range of personalities.

Roogsy
05-28-2010, 03:13 PM

I agree with this. I think Preki can have a good, successful season with us this year, and probably next. But beyond that, I don't see Preki as a long-term solution like Houston's Kinnear and the Rev's Nicol because just because of his nature.

That being said, if Preki has learned his lessons from LA and has moderated his temperment a bit, perhaps he can make a long-term career in Toronto? Who knows? :noidea:

TFCRegina
05-28-2010, 04:44 PM

So he can play for Toke City (The Potters)?

Kaz
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM
The major issue with Preki and it's going to be his undoing it that isn't offensive minded. He will always play it safe in rest for the next game. Its not enough to winin the CCL

Sonny Cheeba
05-28-2010, 07:56 PM
damn. i was hoping today's ssg was gonna be asian beauty numero 3.... instead we get a cute little surfboard.

TFCRegina
05-28-2010, 08:20 PM
damn. i was hoping today's ssg was gonna be asian beauty numero 3.... instead we get a cute little surfboard.

Let's be realistic...the first two weren't really beauties. And you're talking to someone who likes Asians.

DichioTFC
05-28-2010, 08:49 PM
^Have you been to Vancouver? Lived there for a year, I developed a serious case of yellow fever!!

ag futbol
05-28-2010, 09:55 PM
I agree with the Keenan - Preki analogy in terms of their disciplinarian, tactical approach to their respective sports. However, Mike Keenan was generally despised by most of his players throughout his career. Conversely, Preki has demonstrated that he is also a players coach based on his approach to working with past underachievers such as Barrett and Garcia. It seems that if the players are willing to buy into his system and put forth the effort, he rewards them with encouragement and faith in their abilities.

Inevitably, all managers have an expiration date as it is the nature of the industry. Time will tell, but I haven't seen any signs of Preki having the type of personality that would lose the dressing room thus far...
Not sure if the Chivas players would agree with you on that one! Don't think i'd call Garcia a "players player" as well, so to speak.