PDA

View Full Version : Does Carver Disrespect NonBritish Players, MLS, or Team Canada?

sidney
06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm wondering whether Carver disrespects nonBritish players and nonBritish national programs. Look at the best leagues in the world like the English Premier League teams that have English and non-English players coming and going and still starting for supposedly the best teams in the best football leagues in the world. If it's (starting players recently returned from national team duty) good enough for Man U, Chelsey, Arsenal, Liverpool, Juventes, Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc... why isn't it good enough for Toronto FC? What about Becham playing for England and LA Galaxy? I think Becham playing (and starting) for England helps not only the MLS but the Galaxy...it's about time Carver dispensed with this not-completely-thought-out plan and reverted back to playing/starting the best available players period. And players playing for Canada, Honduras, Wales, US, etc...are gaining valuable experience that will make them better players, which will allow them to better help TFC. Lastly, not punishing Sutton and Brennan for playing for Canada will allow soccer to further develop in the Country where TFC lives. Love yah Carves, but you'll need to admit your mistake and play the best period from now on.

joel
06-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Sweet ramble, is there a point in there?

sidney
06-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Sweet ramble, is there a point in there?

guite a few points were made...perhaps you missed them.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Paragraphs...look into them! ;)

joel
06-21-2008, 07:55 PM
guite a few points were made...perhaps you missed them.

completely missed it. we get a draw and a boring game and this board never fails to impress with a bunch of whiny bitches ready to string up the next whipping boy. You were probably kissing carvers his ass last week too when we one 3-1.

This board disgusts me, it's run rampant by kids or people that have no clue about football, and no patience.

sidney
06-21-2008, 08:03 PM
completely missed it. we get a draw and a boring game and this board never fails to impress with a bunch of whiny bitches ready to string up the next whipping boy. You were probably kissing carvers his ass last week too when we one 3-1.

This board disgusts me, it's run rampant by kids or people that have no clue about football, and no patience.

Who says I still don't like Carver? I do. He's just wrong (made a mistake IMO) on this bs policy of not starting are best players returning from national duty). People who really know football know that playing your best players is the way to go. Carver, himself, said after that game that it didn't take long for Guevera to "show his billiance out of nothing". So why let him play just 30 minutes instead of 90? Or how about having Brennan knock in somr crosses into Danny D for 90 minutes instead of 30, or Edu instead of Harmse for 90 minutes. Had they rightfully start chances are we would have had 3 points not just the 1

NateDoGG
06-21-2008, 08:04 PM
carver has a terrible attitude towards the mls...........
"if this is the way its gonna be i may aswell go back home to england"

great attitude carver

joel
06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Ok but your entire post starts with a preposition about a bias against non-british players, MLS or Canada? WTH does that have to do with his gametime decisions?

You get guys coming back from playing with a totally different team and don't get to have them in training and you just throw them in? Mind you this is a TFC team that had a very convinicing win last week without them.

It's very convenient to point fingers now, when everyone was loving it last week.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 08:12 PM

great attitude carver

You're quoting a statement made over a month ago after he got insulted by the MLS? Really? :rolleyes:

I am shocked at how quick you guys are turning on Carver...who in my opinion was probably one of the best, if not THE best signing this offseason. He's the reason we are where we are, whether it be his coaching, his preparation or the fact that many of the signings we've had have been connected to him in some form.

We had a bad game. It happens. Maybe he took a gamble, maybe there were other reasons for his decisions. WE DON'T KNOW. But turning on him really makes some of you guys look like fairweather fans.

Jack
06-21-2008, 08:13 PM

great attitude carver

That is an old quote that he said out of frustration while still adapting to the situation. Hardly appropriate to pin that on him as his attitude towards the MLS when he's gone on to rave about the quality of play, the fans and a lot of other things in other interviews.

You take one quote that suits your opinion and try to pass it off as truth.

Jack
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
And seriously sidney, what's with the title? It has nothing to do with the points your making in your first post.

MrHawk
06-21-2008, 08:16 PM
You know, sometimes it's hard to jump off the bandwagon without hurting your ankle. Perhaps the next piece of RPB Merchandise should be ankle supports?

Jack
06-21-2008, 08:17 PM
You know, sometimes it's hard to jump off the bandwagon without hurting your ankle. Perhaps the next piece of RPB Merchandise should be ankle supports?

:rofl:

Maybe we should look into that.

sidney
06-21-2008, 08:18 PM
And seriously sidney, what's with the title? It has nothing to do with the points your making in your first post.

Sure it does. If it's ok for the EPL, La Liga, Seria A etc... to start players returning from international duty then why not for Carver, TFC, MLS?

Jack
06-21-2008, 08:23 PM
But how does that translate into him not respecting non-British players, MLS and Team Canada?

sidney
06-21-2008, 08:28 PM
But how does that translate into him not respecting non-British players, MLS and Team Canada?

Heres how IMO (from my first post above):

"If it's (starting players recently returned from national team duty) good enough for Man U, Chelsey, Arsenal, Liverpool,......why isn't it good enough for Toronto FC? What about Becham playing for England and LA Galaxy? I think Becham playing (and starting) for England helps not only the MLS but the Galaxy...it's about time Carver dispensed with this not-completely-thought-out plan and reverted back to playing/starting the best available players period. And players playing for Canada, Honduras, Wales, US, etc...are gaining valuable experience that will make them better players, which will allow them to better help TFC. Lastly, not punishing Sutton and Brennan for playing for Canada will allow soccer to further develop in the Country where TFC lives. Love yah Carves, but you'll need to admit your mistake and play the best period from now on.

Jack
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Right.

I read your post. But it's not clear how he disrespects them. You're saying his policy is bad and that these players should play. But it's a big stretch to say that because international superstars return to play for their clubs in the Prem that John Carver disrespects the groups you mentioned.

sidney
06-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Right.
I read your post. But it's not clear how he disrespects them. You're saying his policy is bad and that these players should play. But it's a big stretch to say that because international superstars return to play for their clubs in the Prem that John Carver disrespects the groups you mentioned.

I don't think it is a stretch. I think his faulty policy is slightly based on Carver not respecting other nonBritish national programs and not respecting MLS as much as the EPL, or at least not taking them seriously enough.

jloome
06-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't think it is a stretch. I think his faulty policy is slightly based on Carver not respecting other nonBritish national programs and not respecting MLS as much as the EPL, or at least not taking them seriously enough.

So you can quantify it now? It's a "slight" bias?

Dude, you have absolutely nothing to base this on. Sweet fuck all. In fact, when Carver was the field favourite of players at Newcastle, that team was loaded with foreign talent. He's also brought in Robert and Tebily, two guys from Africa. So what the fuck are you bleating about?

Joel's right. This place is getting ridiculous; we need a board for people with rational, educated opinions and another for hotheaded morons who shoot their lip with nothing to back it up. I actually moved to the RPB forum because the level of discourse on Big Soccer had been reduced to drivel, but this Carver hate today from every single person from an ethnic diaspora community who wants to shit on the English is just fucking sad.

If you don't realize how lucky TFC is to have John Carver simply by looking at the table and how they play, you're not a football fan.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 09:06 PM
If you don't realize how lucky TFC is to have John Carver simply by looking at the table and how they play, you're not a football fan.

OMG...isn't that the truth.

Blizzard
06-21-2008, 09:08 PM
So you can quantify it now? It's a "slight" bias?

Dude, you have absolutely nothing to base this on. Sweet fuck all. In fact, when Carver was the field favourite of players at Newcastle, that team was loaded with foreign talent. He's also brought in Robert and Tebily, two guys from Africa. So what the fuck are you bleating about?

Joel's right. This place is getting ridiculous; we need a board for people with rational, educated opinions and another for hotheaded morons who shoot their lip with nothing to back it up. I actually moved to the RPB forum because the level of discourse on Big Soccer had been reduced to drivel, but this Carver hate today from every single person from an ethnic diaspora community who wants to shit on the English is just fucking sad.

100% agreement. Well said!!!

B

trane
06-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I am dispointed with the result, we should have one, not matter who started. I would take Carver over any MLS coach.

Oblio2
06-21-2008, 09:12 PM
For fucks sake, it's one game. Get over it. Last week Carver was God...now you shit all over him. How childish

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Deja vu? LOL!

Oblio2
06-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Way too many carver hating posts

sidney
06-21-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't hate Carver, I luv em...just think his stupid policy on internationals is idiotic and needs to change even TFC is ever to be taken seriously

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 09:26 PM
What policy? Again...you may have a suspicion, but you hardly have any evidence. In fact, the proof seems to go against your suspicions.

sidney
06-21-2008, 09:32 PM
The stupid policy of not starting our best players period.

Cashcleaner
06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I too would like to hear more about this "policy". A policy implies an inflexible plan of action that is communicated to and acknowledged by a large group.

I haven't heard a thing about this policy.

Kevvv
06-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Nothing to do with internationals, his 'policy' is to play the guys that won last week. If that means sitting Sutton, Sutton sits. If those 11 don't get the result, changes are made during the game, and to next week's starters.

Oldtimer
06-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Why did you start a new thread sidney?

Your "point" ends up being a copy of toonarmy's thread. You just want to emphasize your negativity towards Carver. You should have posted your ramblings in his post.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 09:36 PM

But you called it a "policy on internationals" when his policy on starting players have nothing to do with their international play.

You are forcibly trying to connect things that have no relation to each other. I get that you disagree on how Carver should pick his starting XI, but it has nothing to do with being Brits or not.

sidney
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Edu, Guevera, Brennan on the bench means our best 11 are not on the field where they should be. The connection is obvious

MUFC_Niagara
06-21-2008, 10:14 PM

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!!!!!

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Edu, Guevera, Brennan on the bench means our best 11 are not on the field where they should be. The connection is obvious

They were on the bench because they were not in the lineup that won the game last week, not because they are internationals. THERE is your connection.

Carver's policy, whether you agree or not, has been clear. Win a game, get another chance. Now if you disagree with that...expound on it. But don't create a faux-issue that doesn't exist.

sidney
06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I stand by what I said/posted. You can stand by what you said. No faux-issue from where I stand.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Except my position has actual facts to support it. (Carver's consistent statements on the matter.) Yours? Only has circumstantial evidence that needs to ignore certain facts (those very statements) to make it something even worth considering.

Sometimes, you just have to admit you don't have a leg to stand on.

sidney
06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes, Carver's policy and statements are consistent. But it cost us 2 points today. As for my posts, they are backed-up (read-em again). As for yours, I'd don't see any solid "evidence." You have your view, I have mine.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
How do Carver's statements back up your statements about his supposed bias against Internationals?

And I am quite tired of people saying it cost us 2 points today. That is possible, and it may not be. It's not guaranteed that putting up a different lineup would have gained us 3 points. Likely? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

But what he did does do one thing...he made the bench stronger. And that may gain us valuable points in the tough stretch later this summer. Maybe even more points than the 2 that may have been lost today. But that isn't quantifiable is it? No...we just see the 2 points that slipped away today, not the fact that the team is possibly stronger because of it. But that is why HE gets paid to do what he does...and you don't.

At the end of the day...it's pretty obvious that whatever people think of his rotation policy...it is in fact his policy put in place for a reason...and that reason has nothing to do with "Internationals"...at least most people can see that thankfully.

Blizzard
06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, Carver's policy and statements are consistent. But it cost us 2 points today. As for my posts, they are backed-up (read-em again). As for yours, I'd don't see any solid "evidence." You have your view, I have mine.

Ah, I see. Today's draw had nothing to do with Rohan shooting wide, Danny going offside on a set piece or Amado not scoring on one of his three very good opportunities.

It was all Carver's fault. Thanks for pointing that out to me. It was not something I would have figured out all by myself. :noidea:

djking2
06-21-2008, 10:35 PM
He's also brought in Robert and Tebily, two guys from Africa. So what the fuck are you bleating about?

Robert - Africa. Whatever I agree with ya J but not about that Robert as striker thing :)

jloome
06-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Ah, I see. Today's draw had nothing to do with Rohan shooting wide, Danny going offside on a set piece or Amado not scoring on one of his three very good opportunities.

It was all Carver's fault. Thanks for pointing that out to me. It was not something I would have figured out all by myself. :noidea:

Hey Blizz, we've been knocking around on the same boards for a decade or so, so maybe you can tell me: what is it about the advancing years that makes one more inclined to say "oh. yeah. I was wrong. Stupid point, I get it"? Humility is so much simpler and more civil.

jloome
06-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Robert - Africa. Whatever I agree with ya J but not about that Robert as striker thing :)

Dude he is from Africa -- he's from Reunion, which is in the southwest indian ocean, off the coast of East Africa. It's a french overseas department.

Ah, ya might be right about the striker thing. But after watching Cunny quit on that ball that Hartman spilled in the first half (the kind Luciano Emilio buried on us, incidentally) I still think he'd be better than Mr. Century.

djking2
06-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Cool owe ya one! If cunny was the only option I'd go with our new African striker anyway :)