PDA

View Full Version : How long until Frei and/or Attakora move on...

razor787
05-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Frei and/or Attakora move on to bigger and better clubs? I am guessing we will have Nana for another season or two, but Frei, he could quite possibly be leaving us at the end of this year. At the end of next season for sure. What do you all think?

DangerRed
05-27-2010, 10:29 AM
:deadhorse:

Yet another thread on this overspeculated topic. That's what I think.

Fort York Redcoat
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes, this is probably Frei's last season in this league. Nana may have another year to go.

Yeoman
05-27-2010, 10:32 AM
http://thebovinecomedy.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/brick_yelling.jpg
how about them players on the local sports team huh?

MartinUtd
05-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I could see us keeping Nana a little while longer than Frei.

Cas87
05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
http://thebovinecomedy.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/brick_yelling.jpg
how about them players on the local sports team huh?

WHere did he get the grenade?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I dont think Frei will be leaving quite yet, i suspect hes got another season in him, dont forget he will want to get more experience, hes still young and most likely wont be starting or going to a big club quite yet

Oldtimer
05-27-2010, 11:16 AM
If we won the CCL, Supporter's Shield, and MLS Cup, someone would be worrying about next year.

It's all speculation. Let's not worry about next year, let's enjoy what we have today.

Carts
05-27-2010, 11:25 AM
In a weird way - I think the USA performance in the World Cup will have a say in this...

If the USA does well, and players based in the MLS do very well personally, I think you'll see lower level teams heading to North America to try a "find a diamond in the rough" and bring them over...

The debt crisis in Europe is not on the big clubs alone. Smaller Clubs from lower level leagues will be looking for bargains, and the MLS (if its reputation improves) might be one of the places they start looking for young bargains...

Carts...

Technorgasm
05-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanksfully I know that supporting this team = Losing young talent quickly. . .

The Grass still looks GRRRRrrreat! Edu!

jloome
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I think we overrate him here, and I don't suspect Europe is calling anytime soon. He's a great reaction keeper, and some of his fundamentals are super solid, but his control of the box is still quite poor, particularly when he has to exhibit strength.

There are a looooot of pro goalies of Frei's current calibre in Europe already, although I guess the Swiss passport helps his case.

Given his development, I'd say it's more likely teams will keep a quiet eye on him until he's a couple of years older. Once he's dominating the box and has put on some more bulk, they'll be all over him.

razor787
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I think we overrate him here, and I don't suspect Europe is calling anytime soon. He's a great reaction keeper, and some of his fundamentals are super solid, but his control of the box is still quite poor, particularly when he has to exhibit strength.

There are a looooot of pro goalies of Frei's current calibre in Europe already, although I guess the Swiss passport helps his case.

Given his development, I'd say it's more likely teams will keep a quiet eye on him until he's a couple of years older. Once he's dominating the box and has put on some more bulk, they'll be all over him.

Frei is a quite young keeper, and has shown a hell of a lot of skill. He is learning a hell of a lot here, but I think that if he were to be picked up by a prem league team, and they were to work on him with their reserve side, then he will progress a lot quicker then he will if he stays in MLS.

One thing is for sure though, the kid has quite a future.

jloome
05-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Frei is a quite young keeper, and has shown a hell of a lot of skill. He is learning a hell of a lot here, but I think that if he were to be picked up by a prem league team, and they were to work on him with their reserve side, then he will progress a lot quicker then he will if he stays in MLS.

One thing is for sure though, the kid has quite a future.

Maybe, yeah. Depends who his coach is there, too, as they're not always consistently excellent. Plus, there he won't likely be starting for another two or three years, except on loans.

But maybe someone'll throw first team money at him to sit in reserves for three or four years, ala Brad Guzan. Careers are short enough and athletes know with injuries always possible, you gotta take the money when you can, so yeah, maybe he goes right away.

Hmm. Now I'm torn on it.

Either way, Nana will go when Nana wants to go, as defenders with his skill set are always in demand, whether it's in Scandinavia or Germany or whatever.

Stouffville_RPB
05-27-2010, 11:41 AM

There is no denying that we overvalue him here. We are supporters of the team and see what he does every week for us.

With that said though he has improved on his command this year over last. You can see his growth and he does have a bright future where ever he plays. The guy's got a boatload of talent.

Redcoe15
05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Can't we just appreciate them here right now and not wonder about when they'll be playing in bigger and better leagues?

Pachuco
05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
My guess is that Carver is going to come knocking on Frei's door fairly soon. And although Plymouth isn't exactly a premiership or championship club, I have a feeling Frei may look at it as a stepping stone to the next level.

This of course is just a wild guess.

Stencils
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I think a better question would be how long until Toronto FC starts attracting good young players from other countries.

I'm really done with looking for problems and letting them loom over me vulture style.

I think Nana, Frei, and all the rest should be quite happy to wear the TFC red and play in front of RPB, NEE, U-SEC et al. If WE don't believe that, how and why should they?

Steve
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Agreed 100%. The problem is, as fans, people seem to see the reaction saves (which are very good to be honest) but miss seeing his poor control of the box. For example, a cross comes in that Frei should definitely have, instead he stays in his net (relying on his reaction saves), it gets picked up by an opposing player on the far side and we get scored on. What do the fans here say? They will blame it all on the defense, since Frei "had no chance" at that one, since it was so far away from him (completely ignoring the fact that he should have had the ball before it even got to the opposing player).

Again, I'm not disparaging Frei. I think he's a great keeper for us, but his game is not near complete yet. If he can gain some muscle mass, some courage, and some experience in when to come out and when not to, then he would probably have a shot at the big times. If he doesn't, I don't see him going anywhere.

Shaughno
05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Frei's biggest attribute is his passport. He's not good enough for Europe yet.. but within two years I bet he's gone.

Nana... I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone first tbh. He's not going to get any better playing here when he can easily progress playing in Europe against better players.

Beach_Red
05-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I think a better question would be how long until Toronto FC starts attracting good young players from other countries.

I'm really done with looking for problems and letting them loom over me vulture style.

I think Nana, Frei, and all the rest should be quite happy to wear the TFC red and play in front of RPB, NEE, U-SEC et al. If WE don't believe that, how and why should they?

So true.

Wooster_TFC
05-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Frei's biggest attribute is his passport. He's not good enough for Europe yet.. but within two years I bet he's gone.

Nana... I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone first tbh. He's not going to get any better playing here when he can easily progress playing in Europe against better players.

The problem for Nana is going to be whether he can qualify for a visa over there. I believe it can be tied to Canadian caps, and Nana isn't going to get many right now because at this stage the CMNT have better options at the back (or at the very least what they think are better options).

devioustrevor
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
The problem for Nana is going to be whether he can qualify for a visa over there. I believe it can be tied to Canadian caps, and Nana isn't going to get many right now because at this stage the CMNT have better options at the back (or at the very least what they think are better options).

His lack of caps will only be a problem in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. In most of Europe a foreigner is a foreigner whether they have 1 Cap or 100 Caps.

Shaughno
05-27-2010, 02:19 PM

While true, there are players that have made the jump with little to no national experience.

Along the same lines, players from NA going to the UK tend to have their applications pushed through on the second try.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if a certain former TFC staff tried to pursue Nana...

Shaughno
05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
His lack of caps will only be a problem in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. In most of Europe a foreigner is a foreigner whether they have 1 Cap or 100 Caps.

I see it as a bonus... Canadians don't seem to have a problem making the jump to the UK for the most part.

Stouffville_RPB
05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Can't we just appreciate them here right now and not wonder about when they'll be playing in bigger and better leagues?

I appreciate them. I thoughly enjoy going to the park and seeing our young players grow. It more just a fact of the game that once players begin standing out in their environment they will attact the attention of other clubs.

If Nana and Frei do in fact move on in the next few years it should be something to hang our hat on. Being able to sell good young talent to benefit the club is something to be proud of.

Your first statement is more directed to MLS than TFC. MLS doesn't have the recognition yet to attact most young up and comers that aren't considered domestic players.

I don't think that anyone is unhappy that Frei and Nana are begining to make a name for themselves in the league. It's the opposite, most love having them here they are exciting players to watch.

Joe Kool
05-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Frei and/or Attakora move on to bigger and better clubs? I am guessing we will have Nana for another season or two, but Frei, he could quite possibly be leaving us at the end of this year. At the end of next season for sure. What do you all think?

387 days, 42 min and 36 sec. Just my guess.

Dub Narcotic
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM

I don't see Attakora going. His touch is not good enough to play outside in a top league, and he's too short to be an effective centerback at that level. I suppose he could go to a Denmark or even Greece, but hopefully he can fashion a long MLS career.

Canary Canuck
05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
I was a bit surprised Frei even came to MLS. I thought he'd just go back to Switzerland. He was already a youth international for Switzerland before his family moved to california

SilverSamurai
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Frei- 2years tops. Won't be a big deal since he's got an EU passport. (well Swiss...)
Nana- 2-3years. Depending on Canada's progress with the GC and WCQ. I expect him to FINALLY get his 1st cap this fall against Peru and would like to see him at the match in Montreal.

Shakes McQueen
05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Frei has at least two years, if he ever goes to Europe. He's a good pure shot stopper, but still has issues with communication, set pieces, and crosses. He has been good for us, but he also doesn't face anything near the quality of shots he would face in Europe - for a team that's a better option than TFC, anyway.

Of the two, I think Attakora is more likely to get an offer from somewhere first.

- Scott

J .
05-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Nana could go sooner, I think, he has a lot more potential and I think a place Germany or Italy would do wonders for him. He has strong body, is good off the ball and he really lacks most with when he has possession, which isnt huge for a central defender and I think something that can be taught to him. Right now him and Cann have to be considered one of the top pairings in MLS, Nana being, I think the better half.

Frei is a solid keeper, he is getting a lot of work here which is great for him and the club. He is young and I could see a team buying him end of the season or next and loaning him to us for another. But really, he could make a good run here and do like a lot of American keepers have done in England more seasoned.

Red Rat
05-27-2010, 09:51 PM
yet another
The Glass is half empty thread.

rr

prizby
05-27-2010, 11:01 PM
next time plz find the old thread and top it (or actually read it)

Yohan
05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Although guys like Ryan Nelsen and Carlos Bocanegra got picked up from MLS, I don't see Nana moving anytime soon. Heck, if MLS can keep the likes of Jimmy Conrad and Chad Marshall, surely we have a chance at keeping Nana?

BayernTFC
05-28-2010, 05:53 PM
MLS players aren't likely to be targets of major European clubs based on performances in MLS. There isn't that much confidence in the quality of MLS play. Stefan Frei and/or Nana Attakora need caps for their respective National Teams in games that matter. CCL matches against quality Mexican competition may get notice. Even then, we're more or less talking about moves to lower level leagues to sharpen play and to become "proven".

Joe Kool
05-28-2010, 09:00 PM
How many caps or international competitions was Maurice Edu in before being picked up by Rangers? I think anything can happen. Not the likely scenario but goes to show you it can.

BayernTFC
05-29-2010, 12:33 AM
How many caps or international competitions was Maurice Edu in before being picked up by Rangers? I think anything can happen. Not the likely scenario but goes to show you it can.

Edu signed for Rangers on Aug. 17, 2008:

On August 16, 2008, Edu flew to Glasgow to hold talks with Rangers after a fee of £2.6 million, was agreed with MLS.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edu#cite_note-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edu#cite_note-1) Edu signed a five-year contract with Rangers on August 17, 2008, but had to wait until August 22 to officially join after successfully gaining a work permit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_permit_%28United_Kingdom%29).[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edu#cite_note-2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edu

Some background info on his USMNT appearances:

Edu made his international debut for the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men%27s_national_soccer_team) against Switzerland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland_national_football_team) on October 17, 2007, and won his second cap a month later against South Africa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_national_football_team), where he registered an assist on Steve Cherundolo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cherundolo)'s winning goal. Edu was included in the U.S. team for the 2008 Summer Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics_-_Men%27s_tournament). He played in all three of the group matches and deputized as a center back. Edu drew a penalty in the final game of the group stage against Nigeria which Sacha Kljestan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacha_Kljestan) took and finished. However, the US were knocked out of the group stage after that loss.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Edu

Earned his first cap for the U.S. during a game against Switzerland where he started in the center of midfield and played the full 90 minutes.
His perfectly weighted through ball to Steve Cherundolo set up the game winner against South Africa on Nov. 17, 2007 in Johannesburg, earning Edu his first point with the national team in only his second appearance.

U.S. National Team - 2008: Appeared in the U.S.' 2-0 victory over Sweden at the Home Depot Center in January, marking his third consecutive start for the national team ... Also came on as a sub in the U.S.' 2-2 draw with Mexico in February at Reliant Stadium in Houston ... 2007: Called into his first camp for the national team in October during the U.S. team's trip to Switzerland ...The trip was his first with the national team at any level ... Started and played 90 minutes in his two appearances in 2007, versus Switzerland in October and South Africa in November ... Under-23s: Called into Peter Nowak's first U-23 camp in December 2007 ... Traveled to China later that month to compete in two friendlieshttp://soccer.teamusa.org/athletes/maurice-edu

Edu was able to impress during his play at the Olympics in Beijing and not everyone gets a glowing recommendation from Maurice Johnston ;):

It remains to be seen whether Rangers manager Walter Smith sees Edu as a midfielder or as a replacement in central defence, where he played for the USA during their three games in Beijing.

Edu, who is due to watch his prospective new employers face Hearts at Ibrox in the Scottish Premier League on Saturday, comes highly recommended by former Celtic and Rangers striker Maurice Johnston.

As manager and director of football at Toronto, Johnston has been able to track the progress of the California-born youngster since he made his Major League Soccer debut in April 2007.

Smith said: "We are interested in the American boy and we are trying to get him. But that depends on a work permit, so it will be a few days before we know about that.

"We had asked Maurice if he thought there were any players in the American league whom he thought would do well and he recommended two or three players."

"He is only 22 and has played the last number of internationals, so I'd hope we will get him all right. And he's played in the Olympics." http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7565114.stm