PDA

View Full Version : MLS wins two more

jloome
05-27-2010, 12:22 AM
DC beats AC Milan, Sounders Beat Boca, the international damn-we're-tired tour of MLS continues with more local dominance.

Shakes McQueen
05-27-2010, 12:31 AM
That Milan result has to be particularly embarrassing, tired or not. DC United are the worst team in the league this year.

- SCott

Roogsy
05-27-2010, 12:33 AM
You'd have to wonder what the "I don't care" factor has on these games.

DC United players were probably playing their asses of trying to save face.

Milan players were probably having a stroll in the park trying to get to their vacations in one piece.

Shakes McQueen
05-27-2010, 12:38 AM

Milan players were probably having a stroll in the park trying to get to their vacations in one piece.

But even then, you'd have to imagine the talent gulf is so wide that they would still pull out a win.

- Scott

Roogsy
05-27-2010, 12:48 AM
I am not so sure Scott. At the end of the day, talent is only a factor when it is employed with effort. It's not like simply putting on your cleats and running out on the pitch will guarantee a win just because your name is Ronaldinho, especially if you are going up against professional athletes, which is what these guys on DCU are. They're not some beer-league team that has never played a professional game before.

What's that expression Preki has been using lately? He will take work effort over talent any day? Or something to that effect? While I don't agree with this viewpoint, I do see it's value in this particular situation where there could be an incredible difference in effort and workrate between one team and the other.

Canary Canuck
05-27-2010, 01:49 AM
The skeptic in me thinks there's been a few fixed games this week. Anyone who's read declan hill's book knows these types of matches are highly likely to be fixed with the complete lack of motivation, disdain for a delay in vacation, and downright corrupt track record of italian football.

The montreal impact getting a draw with Fiorentina was enough to raise my suspicions but the red bull reserves beating Juve and the worst team in mls beating Milan is just too much to believe.

Beach_Red
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
The skeptic in me thinks there's been a few fixed games this week. Anyone who's read declan hill's book knows these types of matches are highly likely to be fixed with the complete lack of motivation, disdain for a delay in vacation, and downright corrupt track record of italian football.

The montreal impact getting a draw with Fiorentina was enough to raise my suspicions but the red bull reserves beating Juve and the worst team in mls beating Milan is just too much to believe.

Really? I haven't read the book, but aren't games usually fixed by bookies - are people betting on these games?

It is suprising that these teams don't turn it on at the end and score a few goals to win. Usually that's the Hollywood-type script, the plucky locals hold them close for most of the game but then the big pros put on a show.

trane
05-27-2010, 08:21 AM
That Milan result has to be particularly embarrassing, tired or not. DC United are the worst team in the league this year.

- SCott

Not embarrasing to me. Who gives a shit about after season game to an MLS squad. Not me and I would believe no Milan supporter.

I cared more about lossing to Zurich FC at San Siro in a CL game. Now that was embarrasing. But DC United, after the season is over, playing for nothing. I do not care.

In any meaningfull game AC Milan would beat any MLS team soundly, even with second string players. I am not big on friendlies, but these friendlies so soon after a long season and an old squad such as Milan, I find particullary pointless.

[ NOW I will say this, if this was late July early August, and they were getting ready for the next Serie A/CL season, then I would feel differenet-but as Roogsy, said Dinho is not known for his effort in such games, just as an example]

drexel10
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Not embarrasing to me. Who gives a shit about after season game to an MLS squad. Not me and I would believe no Milan supporter.

I cared more about lossing to Zurich FC at San Siro in a CL game. Now that was embarrasing. But DC United, after the season is over, playing for nothing. I do not care.

In any meaningfull game AC Milan would beat any MLS team soundly, even with second string players. I am not big on friendlies, but these friendlies so soon after a long season and an old squad such as Milan, I find particullary pointless.

[ NOW I will say this, if this was late July early August, and they were getting ready for the next Serie A/CL season, then I would feel differenet-but as Roogsy, said Dinho is not known for his effort in such games, just as an example]

He looked like he was trying. Had a bike off the post and one cleared off the line, he looked entertaining.

I think most of these teams are here to entertain and the tactics are wide open, so that is why these scores are floating about. Discipline team working harder vs more talented team looking to make nice plays.

trane
05-27-2010, 08:39 AM
^ But nice plays does not mean that there was effort, not the real work rate effort that is needed to win a professional footy game. I do not blame them, they have just played a long season, a somewhat disapointing seaons, despite qualifying for the CL.

PLUS Milan is currenlty without a Manager, adding to the pointless nature of the entire exercise.

MrHawk
05-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Not too mention, this was Milan's 2nd or 3rd match in as many days?

Did they not play Fiorentina, Montreal Imapct and now DC United?

trane
05-27-2010, 09:07 AM
^ Hawk, now you are just making me bitter about this tour.

spot-on
05-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Sort of off topic, but I thought I would mention it:

Watching the highlights of the ACM vs DCU game, I couldn't help but want to shoot myself every time the announcer called a goal. Yelling, "it's in the net!, it's in the net!" over and over again is particularly grating and I'm not entirely sure how that announcer has any job whatsoever.

TFC Via Buffalo
05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
It's just laziness. I was at the Juve vs Fiorentina game on Tuesday. Try telling me those guys were giving even 80% and I'll call you a liar.

Shaughno
05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Not too mention, this was Milan's 2nd or 3rd match in as many days?

Did they not play Fiorentina, Montreal Imapct and now DC United?

And really, who cares about a friendly when you're a top European team? I bet they don't even put in half the effort that they would of a proper preseason tour or tournament.

drexel10
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
But for all that say the MLS is crap and it is like watching league 10 in England, or serie Q in Italy, wouldn't this suggest that it is better than they give it credit for? Tired or not, a top calibre unitersted team, doesn't want to get shamed out there.

My colleague was reading the results and he said he hopes his Cruzeiro doesn't get embarassed.

MrHawk
05-27-2010, 01:07 PM
And really, who cares about a friendly when you're a top European team? I bet they don't even put in half the effort that they would of a proper preseason tour or tournament.

Exactly, although I wonder if this thread was started like this with a motive.....................

Jeff s
05-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Err I read that book and I personally don't know where your getting that idea from. The book talks about fixing "REAL" games. Not friendlies. What would be the point of fixing a friendly match?

Reading to much into this guys. The season just ended, players are missing and this is more of a vacation than anything. Your gonna see weird results, because they don't care.

boomcha
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Benfica still gave it to New England last Wednesday 4-0.

TFC USA
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
But for all that say the MLS is crap and it is like watching league 10 in England, or serie Q in Italy, wouldn't this suggest that it is better than they give it credit for? Tired or not, a top calibre unitersted team, doesn't want to get shamed out there.

My colleague was reading the results and he said he hopes his Cruzeiro doesn't get embarassed.

They know that if they gave 100% it would be an easy victory.

I really don't care about results like this.

Damien
05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I think it's evident that the MLS is the best league in the world. :D

It's just science.

Oldtimer
05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
What's that expression Preki has been using lately? He will take work effort over talent any day? Or something to that effect? While I don't agree with this viewpoint, I do see it's value in this particular situation where there could be an incredible difference in effort and workrate between one team and the other.

"Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard."

I suspect you would agree with the original quote. I know I do.

Canary Canuck
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Err I read that book and I personally don't know where your getting that idea from. The book talks about fixing "REAL" games. Not friendlies. What would be the point of fixing a friendly match?

I have an impossible time believing you actually read the book with that last sentence. Fixing is about making money. It doesn't matter if it's a friendly as long as there's a gambling market for the outcome which there was. It's easier to convince players to fix matches when they have little or no incentive to win anyway. Combine that with the fact that the players are likely angry with the club for having to go on a ridiculous postseason tour there are plenty of red flags.

MUFC_Niagara
05-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I think it's evident that the MLS is the best league in the world. :D

It's just science.

Exactly. It is clearly the best league in the world.