PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post game Carver interview

S_D
06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
In his post game interview with Mitch Peacock:

Dunnivant and Harmse didn't deserve to be taken off based on their play it was a tactical decision. He brought in Brennan for his playmaking on the wing and Edu for his playmaking in the middle.

He didn't say a word about Cunningham being taken off.....the silence was deafening lol. Just before he said " We need to invest in someone who can put the ball in the back of the net" (my words: DP).

I think it is safe to say Cunningham is gone as soon as they find a replacement for him. Can we get much for him?

I like the fact that Carver used the word "invest".

Lucky Strike
06-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Yup. Caught that too. I can't wait for that striker.

On a related note, Ali Gerba is still looking good... It would be great if we could have both. :D

Nerepis
06-21-2008, 04:57 PM

" We need to invest in someone who can put the ball in the back of the net" (my words: DP).

I was stunned when I heard that, sounded to me like a nail in Cunningham's Coffin.

MFG1
06-21-2008, 05:13 PM
how about even on net or at least be within ten yards of the damn net, POS cunningham

Bombonera
06-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Carver's decisions today wee horrible! How dare he put his ego and his rhetorical BS ahead of the fan's expectations? WE shoul have had 3 potns easily, but instead fielded and embasassing side...

We all know we need a striker. But let's not lose sight of what hapenned today. Carver benched 3 of our best players to prove HIS point.

As far as I am concerned we should be outraged! Cunningham is nothing more than the fall guy for what were the worst managing decisions I hope we ever see..ever.

Bringing in all of our players at 55mins was a joke. His comments are worthless. He deserves some serious pain!

TFC-Tyler
06-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Wheres that mighty douche? Cunny sucks, and its great you all finally realize.

Pachuco
06-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Carver's decisions today wee horrible! How dare he put his ego and his rhetorical BS ahead of the fan's expectations? WE shoul have had 3 potns easily, but instead fielded and embasassing side...

We all know we need a striker. But let's not lose sight of what hapenned today. Carver benched 3 of our best players to prove HIS point.

As far as I am concerned we should be outraged! Cunningham is nothing more than the fall guy for what were the worst managing decisions I hope we ever see..ever.

Bringing in all of our players at 55mins was a joke. His comments are worthless. He deserves some serious pain!

Imagine what happens if Edwards gets injured in the second half, or anyone else for that matter. HE'S FUCKED because he made a ridicolous mistake of starting crappy players and then making 3 changes in the 55th minute. If Carver didn't see that coming, then I understand why he's coaching in the MLS and not in the English Premiership.

Bombonera
06-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Pachuco - I couldn't possibly agree with you more. Man am I pissed off.

S_D
06-21-2008, 06:37 PM

Although I have been a staunch defender of Cunningham, he isn't a "fall guy". He just can't seem to put it in the net. Did you see the look of disgust from Robert? We thought we saw it a couple of games ago but CBC did a close up of his face this game and there was no missing it this time. He looked like he was going to explode with frustration. :eek:

The starting side that TFC put out should have been able to take out KC today. They are worse than Colorado. You have to respect Carver for sticking to his guns. He said you get playing time if you win. Well they did (vs. colorado) so he fielded the same lineup.

And lets not forget that it was probably sensible to leave the guys that just came back and only play them for the last half. They have been flying around and playing NT games.

Carver may have also played Cunningham to prove a point to MLSE etc.. to spend some dosh.

Pachuco
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Although I have been a staunch defender of Cunningham, he isn't a "fall guy". He just can't seem to put it in the net. Did you see the look of disgust from Robert? We thought we saw it a couple of games ago but CBC did a close up of his face this game and there was no missing it this time. He looked like he was going to explode with frustration. :eek:

The side that TFC put out should have been able to take out KC today. They are worse than Colorado. You have to respect Carver for sticking to his guns. He said you get playing time if you win. Well they did (vs. colorado) so he fielded the same lineup.

And lets not forget that it was probably sensible to leave the guys that just came back and only play them for the last half. They have been flying around and playing NT games.

Carver may have also played Cunningham to prove a point to MLSE etc.. to spend some dosh.

Guevara and Edu were back all week training with the team, and they basically played the same number of games that they would've played if they stayed here. sorry but the argument makes no sense. I have lost all respect for Carver, and he better make up for it with a win away from home against NE.

RedRum
06-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Smell ya later Cunny you self-centered and arrogant bitch. Fuck I can't wait...

Ali bomaye.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Harmse had one of his better games...but he is still just a clutz and a pylon in midfield. I see little professional skill in him.

Dunny was solid as always. Nothing spectacular, sometimes average, but few mistakes.

I won't be sad to see Cunny go.

profit89
06-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Maybe he was referring to Dichio

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Maybe he was referring to Dichio

LOL!

Really?

The team's leading scorer this year and last year?

Sure he was.

S_D
06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Guevara and Edu were back all week training with the team, and they basically played the same number of games that they would've played if they stayed here. sorry but the argument makes no sense..

I was thinking of brennan..my bad. I am sure Gueverra won't be subbed off for Cunningham again. Edu?...meh Harmse had way more impact today. Probably his best game this year.

I have lost all respect for Carver, and he better make up for it with a win away from home against NE..

I always respect other's opinions but personally I think that's taking it a bit too far... the starting team should have been able to beat KC hands down but they couldn't.

And to beat NE at home? Possible as they have a better away record but with our road record I think that it is a pretty tall order with only Dichio up front. The man's a god but he can't score every game :) I'd be satisfied with a tie.

I am assuming after today we won't see much of Cunningham except in the paper announcing a trade or his outright release.

TFC John
06-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Harmse had one of his better games...but he is still just a clutz and a pylon in midfield. I see little professional skill in him.

Dunny was solid as always. Nothing spectacular, sometimes average, but few mistakes.

I won't be sad to see Cunny go.

I'm usually a Harmse hater. I've never got over the red card in D.C. But today he changed my mind. This is the best I've ever seen him play. I was surprised to see him subbed in the second half. I don't think Edu brought anything to the field that wasn't already there in Harmse.

S_D
06-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm usually a Harmse hater. I've never got over the red card in D.C. But today he changed my mind. This is the best I've ever seen him play. I was surprised to see him subbed in the second half. I don't think Edu brought anything to the field that wasn't already there in Harmse.

I've always like Harmse. Sure he gets cards, but we haven't seen any major screw ups like we saw at DC since. If you accept him for the kind of player he is, a pure destroyer who is no better than an average passer he grows on you. He was everywhere on the pitch today and that tackle he made that he received a foul on was based on rep. I watched the replay and it seemed perfectly timed.

Tebily is really growing on me too. That swan dive header he made over top of the KC player was awesome. A total sacrifice of the body for the team.

giambac
06-21-2008, 07:26 PM

Dunnivant and Harmse didn't deserve to be taken off based on their play it was a tactical decision. He brought in Brennan for his playmaking on the wing and Edu for his playmaking in the middle.

He didn't say a word about Cunningham being taken off.....the silence was deafening lol. Just before he said " We need to invest in someone who can put the ball in the back of the net" (my words: DP).

I think it is safe to say Cunningham is gone as soon as they find a replacement for him. Can we get much for him?

I like the fact that Carver used the word "invest".

On ething Carver forget to mention is that they should invest in a new COACH

As shit as cunnungham is, there is no one to blame than Carve rfor not getting 3 points today. Carver justgave away 2 points today.

Circle this date and this game. At the end of the season when the team misses the palyoffs by 1 or 2 points you can thank the IDIOT COACH!

ag futbol
06-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I think if this is proving anything, it's that our offensive players (Guevarra excepted) are generally still struggling to score in the run of play. Dichio had a few gafs today and i felt the wingers had their heads down too much. We need more link play, more movement off the ball, slicker passing.

We need more out of Ricketts and Robert. On top of that, we really need a better guy to link play in the centre. Harmse, Robinson, Edu, are all too similar. None of them have a great offensive game. You can't expect to start two defensive minded central midfielders and expect to run a potent attack. We need to invest in a Christian Gomez, Gallardo, Klesjian, type who can attack from the centre and link play.

S_D
06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Well for now I think the three of them are good enough. Let's get that DP forward first as it doesn't matter if we have good linkage if our forward (cunny) can't finish.

And anyways, Guevara can always do it as he can attack, pass etc as there won't be so much pressure on him to score.

Oblio2
06-21-2008, 09:25 PM

As shit as cunnungham is, there is no one to blame than Carve rfor not getting 3 points today. Carver justgave away 2 points today.

Circle this date and this game. At the end of the season when the team misses the palyoffs by 1 or 2 points you can thank the IDIOT COACH!

Are you fucking kidding me. Quite possibly the MOST pathetic comment I have read on here.

Oldtimer
06-21-2008, 09:36 PM

If he was Italian, you'd think he's a genius.

jabbronies
06-22-2008, 12:03 AM
You guys are all fucked....We played the last place team in our division, Carver was right to think that he would be able to keep his top guys out for this game and let his bench do this one by themselves.

Carver's not to blame, it's the guys who didn't get the job done against a last place team.

S_D
06-22-2008, 01:18 AM
The intent of this thread wasn't to bash/praise/defend Carver as there are already have a couple of those going. :) Unfortunately it kinda went off on a tangent.

There is definitely something afoot. With the above quote (or lack of) regarding Cunny, Carver mentioning on MLS that we need to be patient for a few weeks while they improve on the squad, that July game where no tickets were available (not even available to the RPB Nomads) and as a stretch, the mysterious DP ad campaign that Ives knows about but won't say anything (see his Q&A in his blog), something big may be up. I can't wait to find out what they have been up to :)

Pachuco
06-22-2008, 01:29 AM

first of all, we ain't missing the playoffs. I'm pretty sure of that. Guevara should've started today, but man are you ever extreme, you actually make me look good so thanks for sticking around :)

jimiv
06-22-2008, 10:15 AM
You guys are all fucked....We played the last place team in our division, Carver was right to think that he would be able to keep his top guys out for this game and let his bench do this one by themselves.

Carver's not to blame, it's the guys who didn't get the job done against a last place team.

I'd have to agree with this statement, If we can't win against KC without Guevera and Brennan, then we're not that deep.

The problem seems obvious, other players are starting to "screw the pooch" whenever Cunningham is on the field, Cunnys floater mentality is becoming a cancer and needs to be stopped ASAP. :(

ag futbol
06-22-2008, 02:15 PM
That's kind of ignoring the facts. The bottom of the table to the top is not that much of a difference.

KC has good defensive players to cover our wingers on the outside, unlike Colorado which was piss poor and let Ricketts and Robert run all over the park. We're a team that struggles offensively and we left our best weapon on the bench. That's just silly.

cmonyoureds
06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Carver is an idiot for thinking he could rest some starters for KC?? pull your head out guys, geez.
If you're sooo pissed, tell me, how come with almost a full half, the team YOU would have started, (or bloody close to it) couldn't come up with ONE goal????? those "automatic starters" scored as many as the "second stringers".

Northern Soul
06-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Get a grip. If you HONESTLY think that, you need some help. Take a few deep breaths before you post next time.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Wheres that mighty douche? Cunny sucks, and its great you all finally realize.

Cunny makes the effort unlike Dichio who should have never statred on recent form, if yoyr calling for Heads go for the bald one as well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Carver is an idiot for thinking he could rest some starters for KC?? pull your head out guys, geez.
If you're sooo pissed, tell me, how come with almost a full half, the team YOU would have started, (or bloody close to it) couldn't come up with ONE goal????? those "automatic starters" scored as many as the "second stringers".

he rested them cause they just came of internation duty,,,dah you think you would now that. a draw was fair result..we need our statrts of have a rest, they have had it so full lineup next week.

Northern Soul
06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Cunny makes the effort unlike Dichio who should have never statred on recent form, if yoyr calling for Heads go for the bald one as well.

How many goals does Dichio have on how many shots? How many goals does Cunny have on how many shots?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
How many goals does Dichio have on how many shots? How many goals does Cunny have on how many shots?

Dichio has 4 goals...Cunny 3 hardly a big difference..shots...they don;t mean much unless they go in!!

Northern Soul
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Dichio has 4 goals...Cunny 3 hardly a big difference..shots...they don;t mean much unless they go in!!

Dichio has 5 goals. Also, he does a hell of a lot more up front than Cunny. Tell me, what does Cunny do for his teammates?

Pachuco
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
he rested them cause they just came of internation duty,,,dah you think you would now that. a draw was fair result..we need our statrts of have a rest, they have had it so full lineup next week.

DUH, I think you would know that TFC played as many games as the players on international duty played. DUH!! I think you would know that Guevara had been in Toronto since Monday. DUH!!!!!!!!

ilikemusic
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Honestly anybody who thinks Cunningham does more out there than Dichio is a fucking moron. Plain and simple.

Dichio may not be the most mobile player on the pitch but he has better instincts than pretty well anyone else out there.

Cunningham does NOTHING apart from stay way up high waiting for a long ball over top that he can run on to. Of course hes lost whatever speed he may have had because I havent seen him win one footrace all season. Add that to the fact that he cant make a useful pass to save his life and couldnt hit the net if were the width of the pitch and youve got an entirely wasted player doing nothing but making everyone elses job more difficult.

Dichio has set up more plays than Cunningham has even been involved in.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Honestly anybody who thinks Cunningham does more out there than Dichio is a fucking moron. Plain and simple.

Dichio may not be the most mobile player on the pitch but he has better instincts than pretty well anyone else out there.

Cunningham does NOTHING apart from stay way up high waiting for a long ball over top that he can run on to. Of course hes lost whatever speed he may have had because I havent seen him win one footrace all season. Add that to the fact that he cant make a useful pass to save his life and couldnt hit the net if were the width of the pitch and youve got an entirely wasted player doing nothing but making everyone elses job more difficult.

You make a decent point if you stick to it. When you go overboard it takes a lot of validity from your statements. Cunny actually does a lot more than people give him credit for. MLS defenders know his game and they play according to it, which gives Dichio WAY more space than he usually has.

Roogsy
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
You make a decent point if you stick to it. When you go overboard it takes a lot of validity from your statements. Cunny actually does a lot more than people give him credit for. MLS defenders know his game and they play according to it, which gives Dichio WAY more space than he usually has.

I am of the opposite opinion. Teams do now know Cunny and play him accordingly...meaning they know what he won't do. They are all over Dichio and they know Cunny will just stand there with his hands on his hips and not help defensively. They know where he is going to be standing and where he is going to be running to and they cheat accordingly.

Dichio at least draws defenders consistently.

And Dichio comes back to help in the midfield. Cunny doesn't, meaning defenders can push up knowing that they will have the numbers.

Parkdale
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
MLS defenders know his game and they play according to it, which gives Dichio WAY more space than he usually has.

exactly. Same applies (but more so) to Guevara. Having a fast guy will open the defense up a lot more than a tough guy. Teams can answer Dichio's size by putting their biggest defender on him, but it takes more than one person to shut down a run from Cunny (and by example, Guevara)

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Ask Van Nistelrooy the last time he made a play outside of the final 1/3. Strikers shouldn't have to. Some do, other's play the role they are asked to play.

Sure some teams cheat on defending Cunny, and there are times when he punishes them for it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 11:09 AM

Cunningham is always up front, he has had the jersey tugged at to slow him down more often then anything...Cunny lost speed>? maybe dichio never had it to begin with....Cunny has scored more goals then Dichio ever will.

ilikemusic
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Dichio also makes the cross field passes to the open midfielders like Rohan and Robert that helps to maintain possession and obviously creates scoring chances. He does this alot.

I havent seen Cunny do it once in his entire time in Toronto.

nimamalek
06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
1. Brennan played the night before and was flying in that day, good call by Carver to sit him at least half the game
2. Sutton, flew in that day as well i think, probably not the best idea to play a guy who was flying and dealing with the airport headaches the day of the game
3. Harmes played a great game, he's not a pylon, he's not horrible. The same people who are dumping on Harmes were dumping on Velez and Sutton at the beginning of the year(and i was one of the people dumping on Velez). Here's a thought, Carver didnt start Edu because a) Edu will be missing most of August and he wanted Harmes to get some playing time with the team against a weaker opponent at home b) Edu is being shopped around in Europe and Carver is giving Harmes more time on the field as his replacement
4. Guevara has been missing for almost a month, I'd sit his ass too, I think Carver made a statement that if you're missing games because of an international friendly then expect to earn your spot off the bench when you come back.

great decisions by Carver, its the team on the field that didnt deliver, without Brennan, Guevara and Edu we should have still won that game

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
1. Brennan played the night before and was flying in that day, good call by Carver to sit him at least half the game
2. Sutton, flew in that day as well i think, probably not the best idea to play a guy who was flying and dealing with the airport headaches the day of the game
3. Harmes played a great game, he's not a pylon, he's not horrible. The same people who are dumping on Harmes were dumping on Velez and Sutton at the beginning of the year(and i was one of the people dumping on Velez). Here's a thought, Carver didnt start Edu because a) Edu will be missing most of August and he wanted Harmes to get some playing time with the team against a weaker opponent at home b) Edu is being shopped around in Europe and Carver is giving Harmes more time on the field as his replacement
4. Guevara has been missing for almost a month, I'd sit his ass too, I think Carver made a statement that if you're missing games because of an international friendly then expect to earn your spot off the bench when you come back.

great decisions by Carver, its the team on the field that didnt deliver, without Brennan, Guevara and Edu we should have still one that game

and the logic prevails! hoorah. :hump:

ilikemusic
06-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Cunningham is always up front, he has had the jersey tugged at to slow him down more often then anything...Cunny lost speed>? maybe dichio never had it to begin with....Cunny has scored more goals then Dichio ever will.

And Dichio's played against players Cunny never could.

Do you not realize that Cunny's MLS goal count is completely irrellevant to what he can do now? The league is completely different. Cunningham got his 100 goals playing in a very minor league MLS.

100 goals in MLS is almost more an indictment of his lack of ambition than it is an indicator of his talents.

Shaughno
06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I agree with most of that about Cunny, but I don't know if you can attribute it to lack of ambition. If he could finish, he would have been gone a long time ago. The scouts probaby saw how inconsistant he was and never took the chance on him. Rightly so.