PDA

View Full Version : Whats more important...league match or Canada cup

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
being a bit selfish why can't we shoot for both...having TFC in the playoffs and in the Concacaf champions league in the second season would be terrific.

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
There's really no reason why we shouldn't be able to! It would be awesome!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
oBVIOUS leauge!....but everything else is a great bonus! Where in for some great footy! :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
There's really no reason why we shouldn't be able to! It would be awesome!

more footie to see!! can't go wrong there..:D

werewolf
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
the League is more important then the Canada Cup, but the Champions League would be a different argument.

Maple Leaf Red
I want TFC to take the Canada Cup very seriously because, while it may be a small competition, it's a first step for TFC in terms of picking up silverware.

Lucky Strike
Where is the option for "They are equally important"? That's my vote.

Hooligan69
They're both important, but I can't choose which is most important because I want us to win it all.

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
the League is more important then the Canada Cup, but the Champions League would be a different argument.

But the Canada Cup leads to the CCL. Wouldn't that mean they are both equally important.:confused:

bhoybobby
05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Not enough options in this poll I'm afraid.

Success in both increases our ability to attract good players

deltox
05-14-2008, 04:28 PM
yeah the league is the reason why we play.

i want to win everything including the canada cup. but the MLS cup would be something that we could hold over every other MLS team.

BUT, we can only get into the champions league though the canada cup.....so lets win that too

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Not enough options in this poll I'm afraid.

Success in both increases our ability to attract good players

was going to add both as an option but...:eek: anyhoo

TFC 2008 MLS champions, 2008 supporters shield winners, 2008 Canada Cup winners 2008-09 Concacaf Chmapions league winners?

deltox
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM

TFC 2008 MLS champions, 2008 supporters shield winners, 2008 Canada Cup winners 2008-09 Concacaf Chmapions league winners?

AHHHH YEAHHH

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
AHHHH YEAHHH

its footie anything can happen!! fingers and toes crossed...:eek:

Fort York Redcoat
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Both would be fine but I couldn't care less about the MLS cup. The chance to play teams outside the MLS? Not a difficult choice.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
BOTH!!! It MUST be BOTH!!!

Red CB Toronto
05-14-2008, 05:49 PM
The Canada Cup as we are calling it is huge, going against Montreal and Vancouver will bring the game into a coast to coast National pressence. I just think for the game in this country this tournement can do a lot, also it will be great to see Serge and Adam make their returns to BMO Field. I really liked Serge and know what he was up against last year, very happy to see him back on the pitch.

tfc_4_ever
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
BOTH!!! It MUST be BOTH!!!

QFT !!!!!!!!!!

flatpicker
05-14-2008, 05:54 PM
there really should have been more options in the poll.

I demand a do-over!

Keyman
05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
The league; no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

JonO
05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't get - If we win the the Canada cup we have proven we are better than two USL teams. If we win the MLS cup, we are the best of the best in Canada/USA... Seems like a no brainer to me...

Lucky Strike
05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't get - If we win the the Canada cup we have proven we are better than two USL teams. If we win the MLS cup, we are the best of the best in Canada/USA... Seems like a no brainer to me...

Why aren't people looking further ahead? It's not so much about the league vs. Canada Cup. It's really the league vs. the Champions League. The Canada Cup leads to the Champions League. That's the no-brainer. I would love to hear how someone can argue that the Champions League is unimportant.

ensco
05-14-2008, 06:36 PM
This is a good poll

Carver will have to make choices in terms of player selection, he can't play everyone for 90 minutes in both league and cup games

I voted league - I would care more about the MLS playoffs than winning the CC

giambac
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I want TFC to take the Canada Cup very seriously because, while it may be a small competition, it's a first step for TFC in terms of picking up silverware.

Canada Cup games are agianst 2 USL teams. The silverware means nothing when the opponents are nothing.

Azerban
05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Canada Cup, just because of the consequences. International competition will attract players, and the coverage of TFC in other markets will also do us some good.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Canada Cup games are agianst 2 USL teams. The silverware means nothing when the opponents are nothing.

im sure english teams feel the same way when the play italian club sides!!
if you watched the Caps-Galaxy game...the Caps can play against MLS teams and hold their own if we go into the match thinking they will be pushovers...turn out the lights.

Bdking2
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
The real question will be is, is TFC going to take the games seriously? If the TFC sends out a bunch of guys that are usually riding the bench I guess it will show what they think about the whole thing. If they send out the now usually starting XI then we will know they are taking the qualifying seriously.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM

And a date with Manchester United in the World Club Championships! :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2008, 10:05 PM

And a date with Manchester United in the World Club Championships! :)

Chelsea...!!;)

Cashcleaner
05-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Canada Cup trumps the League. Sorry MLS, but if I have to choose between a CONCACAF qualifying slot against a Canadian team or a league title against 13 other American teams, I'm gonna have to get a little nationalistic and go with the Canadian competition.

Things might change if Vancouver and/or Montreal make it into the league, but for right now, I have far more interest in the CC than pretty much anything else.

bhoybobby
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Canada Cup trumps the League. Sorry MLS, but if I have to choose between a CONCACAF qualifying slot against a Canadian team or a league title against 13 other American teams, I'm gonna have to get a little nationalistic and go with the Canadian competition.

Things might change if Vancouver and/or Montreal make it into the league, but for right now, I have far more interest in the CC than pretty much anything else.

I'd have to agree with you. Trouble is, I don't think a lot of folk grasp what success in this tourney can do for TFC.

The attendance at these games will tell what kind of support we really have. I'd like to think we"ll sell the joint out.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM

wow!

Im all for the CC and TFC having a chance to go onto the CL!!

BUt as a supporter TFC.......LEAGUE prevails!!

IT like me asking the question!!

CLUB or COUNTRY!?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-14-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd have to agree with you. Trouble is, I don't think a lot of folk grasp what success in this tourney can do for TFC.

The attendance at these games will tell what kind of support we really have. I'd like to think we"ll sell the joint out.

make a poll!!

TFC WIN THE LEAGUE OR TFC WIN THE CANADA CUP!
What would you rather see?

It wont even be close!!

Laurignano
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
More of so, what is more important for the future of this club? If its league, I say hell with it because we will always qualify for it and never go anywhere in it..we could win the league but what would that do in this system? Its all about playoffs in MLS. but as of for the cup, its more important then people realise. If we dont win the cup this year, that means Montreal or Vancouver will be facing off agianst clubs with in our region. This is way too big for TFC to miss out on. If Toronto FC Doens't qualify for Champions Leauge it would be a huge disapointment in my books.

Damien
05-14-2008, 11:06 PM
League = Tier 1 (MLS)
Canada = Tier 2 (USL)

nuff said.

Laurignano
05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
League = Tier 1 (MLS)
Canada = Tier 2 (USL)

nuff said.
League = Leads you to super liga
Canada = Leads you to Champions league

TFC07
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Canada Cup no doubt because Champions league.

Leprechaun
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
It's a good opportunity because we have such an easy road to the CONCACAF Champions League compared to the 4 other MLS teams where you would have to win the MLS Cup, supporters shield, or U.S. open cup....so why not take advantage of this and play our first team and we should be able to pretty easily win these Canada Cup games IF they are taken seriously enough imo...

ManUtd4ever
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
It's a good opportunity because we have such an easy road to the CONCACAF Champions League compared to the 4 other MLS teams where you would have to win the MLS Cup, supporters shield, or U.S. open cup....so why not take advantage of this and play our first team and we should be able to pretty easily win these Canada Cup games IF they are taken seriously enough imo...

Agreed

Laurignano
05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Could you picture TFC winning the league and qualifying for champions league? ohhh what a day that would be :D . We would be in CONCACAF Champions league and the Superliga!

ManUtd4ever
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Could you picture TFC winning the league and qualifying for champions league? ohhh what a day that would be :D . We would be in CONCACAF Champions league and the Superliga!

At the very least, TFC should qualify for both the CONCACAF Champions league as well as the playoffs which would be widely considered a substantial success for this season...

egoodwin
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
I say Cup is more important... League is just hardware... Cup is CL! and possibly FIFA CWC!!!

dantdot
05-15-2008, 12:32 AM
My brain says league but my heart says Canada cup :)

egoodwin
05-15-2008, 01:24 AM
CL leads to FIFA CWC

Super Liga does not

dmac41
05-15-2008, 02:16 AM
I think every game should be important for the club, whether it be league or cup. Making an effort to win at every opportunity is the best way to actually get somewhere.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Lots of people thinking the Canada cup as an end goal here. We win the cup and proceed to play the best in MLS and CONCACAF. That includes Mexican teams that aren't just friendlies! To win the CCONCACAF champions league means we play in the World club champions league vs the best in South America ( Copa Libertadores ) and Europe ( Champions league ).
I apologize to half the posters that were aware of that.

TOBOR !
05-15-2008, 07:52 AM

Is it ? Because winning the Canada Cup is what gets you into the Champion's League.

The Canada Cup is our CL qualifier.

Shaughno
05-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Defo the cup. League is something we play regardless. Obviously we're doing well enough at the moment that we can and should focus on beating Vanc and Mtl and earning ourselves a spot for the CL.

TOBOR !
05-15-2008, 07:57 AM
wow!

Im all for the CC and TFC having a chance to go onto the CL!!

BUt as a supporter TFC.......LEAGUE prevails!!

IT like me asking the question!!

CLUB or COUNTRY!?

Dude - you're thinking too small.

It's been said upthread that getting in (and winning) the CL gets the club greater exposure and more valuable treasures than winning the MLS playoffs ever could.

If TFC competed for the World Super Club Championship everyone would know our name and we'd (they'd) be playing on the largest stage, but who outside the small MLS community knows who's won the last few MLS Championships ?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Both of equal importance, both deserve top quality teams and top quality players.
That being said, some of our opponents in the league can be beaten with bench players, especially if our first team guys are exhausted (its bound to happen with those 5 games in 14 days). To be honest i dont think im in place to say how it should be done, ill leave it up to Carver, hes done well enough so far.

giambac
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
im sure english teams feel the same way when the play italian club sides!!
if you watched the Caps-Galaxy game...the Caps can play against MLS teams and hold their own if we go into the match thinking they will be pushovers...turn out the lights.

Sure it can happen, I'm not daying that. All I'm saying is that they are USl teams and the product isn't great. I wouldn't risk injury of players against thos eteams.

To me the league games are more important.

And as far as your comment about the Italian side goes how come Engalnd isn't in the Euro 2008. The top 16 teams in Euro have qualified and the weakest links in Euro (England,) didn't qualify. The English side is left to play friendlies against the US and Trinidad. :confused: They are playing weak teams in attempt to get their FIFA rankings up and to avoid more losses.

Another thing the English clubs have faired well against the Italian club teams this year for 1 reason - becaus eof their international players (i.e Balalck, Droga, Ronaldo, Nani, Torres etc) not because of their own players

Lucky Strike
05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Finally people are seeing what I've been saying from the start (or at least are speaking up now). The Canada Cup leads to the CCL and is thus hugely important! I've always agreed that we should try and win both league and cup matches, of course, but the Cup and the CCL is for my money more important.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
on top of the fact itd be emberassing to lose to these 'lower' teams

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Sure it can happen, I'm not daying that. All I'm saying is that they are USl teams and the product isn't great. I wouldn't risk injury of players against thos eteams.

And as far as your comment about the Italian side goes how come Engalnd isn't in the Euro 2008. The top 16 teams in Euro have qualified and the weakest links in Euro (England,) didn't qualify. The English side is left to play friendlies against the US and Trinidad. :confused: They are playing weak teams in attempt to get their FIFA rankings up and to avoid more losses.

Another thing the English clubs have faired well against the Italian club teams this year for 1 reason - becaus eof their international players (i.e Balalck, Droga, Ronaldo, Nani, Torres etc) not because of their own players

remind me which serie a team is in the CL final again? and remember english teams don't NEED to bribe officals.. as far as the USL goes, a good
have could play right now in MLS, Montreal, vancouver, Seattle,Portland,

Lucky Strike
05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm afraid giambac is right: the EPL teams have done very well because many of their starters come from abroad. It's the same with France: it's not so much the French themselves who are good, but the players who come from their former colonies and have French citizenship.

rocker
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
the Canada Cup games are more important than any individual league game to me.
Of course, if it's the last league game of the season and we need to win to make the playoffs, then that game becomes most important. But taken out of context, 1 of 30 doesn't mean as much to me as any one of the Canada Cup games.

Playing Montreal also means so much more to me than playing ANY of the cities in MLS. more than LA, more than New York. I can just get the hate up so much more for anything Montreal :)

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I can just get the hate up so much more for anything Montreal :)

oh my god yes, we need to prove we are the best team in canada.

invictusTFC
05-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Consistent success in the league will almost certainly see TFC qualify for CL action year after year.

giambac
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
remind me which serie a team is in the CL final again? and remember english teams don't NEED to bribe officals.. as far as the USL goes, a good
have could play right now in MLS, Montreal, vancouver, Seattle,Portland,

If that is true my God the MSL is even worse than I thought.

I Initailly peeged the MSL equivalent to a Divison2/Divison 3 in Europe. If your telling me that half the teams in the USL can play and compete in the MSL than I was wrong.

THE MSL is equivalent to a DIVISION 4 in EUROPE!

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2008, 12:49 PM
thats MLS guy, not MSL and dont watch it if ya dont like it.
It certainly seems that way with the way you talk about it.

Chewy Unikronik
05-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Cup that, yo!

nfitz
05-15-2008, 01:06 PM
A Champions League qualifier seems more important than any single game heading towards the MLS cup, as long as we are safely in the top 8. Though if we've already won 3 straight league qualifiers then perhaps not ...

Hmm, league, cup ... looks like I got my vote backwards ... how do I change?

footyfan
05-15-2008, 01:31 PM

The US is not a "weak team" seeing as how it is ranked 21st above Euro 2008 participants, Russia (25) and Sweden (23) and Cup of African Nations semi-finalist Ivory Coast (21)

Trinidad IS a weak side at 88 and well Canada is...62
http://fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

Damien
05-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Maybe the question should ask which is better...
1) MLS Cup
2) CONCACAF Champions League Cup

peskypetey
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM
League for me, because without the league in TO there is no chance for a Canada Cup.

AL-MO
05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
The KING (Dave that is..) was yelling at me about this last night.

"I Don't give a fuck about Montreal" he says. :)

rocker
05-15-2008, 04:53 PM
The KING (Dave that is..) was yelling at me about this last night.

"I Don't give a fuck about Montreal" he says. :)

does he give a fuck about Columbus, KC, and San Jose? ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-15-2008, 06:47 PM
League for me, because without the league in TO there is no chance for a Canada Cup.

good point:)

Captain Croatia
05-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I would try to win Canada Cup ahead of trying to win the league because it is something we know we can win for sure. Not saying we can't win the league, but Canada Cup would be easier and more realistic.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I would try to win Canada Cup ahead of trying to win the league because it is something we know we can win for sure. Not saying we can't win the league, but Canada Cup would be easier and more realistic.

don't know about easier, but the realistic point in accurate...dispite our good start if we make the playoffs it will be a great season.

rocker
05-15-2008, 07:44 PM
don't forget that if TFC wins this, we get in the fall even MORE TFC!!!!!!

then if TFC does well, we get MORE TFC before next season.

bgnewf
05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
An intelligent manager (which I think Carver is) won't have to make the choice. There is enough depth to do well in both as long as, touch wood, we avoid injury.

Flashman
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I think a good team, and TFC is a good team should have no problem making the playoffs, especially when it looks to be the top 5 teams in the east, so I think it is more important to focus on the Canada Cup.

I have heard some say Champions League yes, but Canada Cup no...but you can't get to the Champions League unless you win the Canada Cup, so it has to be a priority.

Both are important to me, but unless we are in the fight for the Supporter's Shield, I would place more emphasis on winning the Canada Cup...we can recover from a few off games and still make the playoffs.

Dozitwin
05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
With only 4 matches to play in the Canada Cup vs 30 in the MLS I'd say the Canada Cup has a little more weight per match, not to mention that there is national pride at stake.

Laurignano
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
With only 4 matches to play in the Canada Cup vs 30 in the MLS I'd say the Canada Cup has a little more weight per match, not to mention that there is national pride at stake.

Exaclty..and it would be more embarassing for us to lose a Canada Cup match then a MLS league match IMO.