PDA

View Full Version : Footyblog DP rumor

Pages : [1] 2

sampace
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Anyone hear anything substantial on the supposed DP rumor on the Score's footyblog? The rumor is the paperwork for a second DP in Toronto has been signed and it is a former Italian International, Del Piero perhaps? I'd be shocked if it was so, but it certainly would make things exciting at the Stadium if it was him? Who would they bench, White I guess to make room for Del Piero. It might save Mo's bacon! Has anyone heard anything credible on this front?

Nodoubtguy
05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Seems to originate from the 24th minute....

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/05/i-hate-dp-rumours.html#comments

sampace
05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Perhaps this rumor is true if MLS used Andrea Bargnani as someone who could sell the City of Toronto to Del Piero who was rumored to be going to New York?

werewolf
05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Del Piero? I have never heard any indication of him possibly coming to MLS :eek:

(I am being facetious).

billyfly
05-25-2010, 09:03 AM
No way. Too good to be true. I'd take Del Piero over Henry, more my style of player.

kitchener-TFC
05-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I'd probably pass out if Del Piero were to sign for TFC, although I think he's going to retire with Juventus.

Nodoubtguy
05-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I can picture it now......."De Rosario to Barrett, Barrett passes to Del Piero"

jaxul
05-25-2010, 09:06 AM
IMO Del Piero would fill more seats in Toronto than Henry would. Regardless if it's just a rumor...still fun to talk about it :)

TFC/Everton
05-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I also hate DP rumors because my heart just skipped a beat. White would come off the bench and TFC would be a much better team.

sampace
05-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Perhaps Del Piero will be convinced by coach Preki's ability to turn this team around?

billyfly
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Del Piero comes to Toronto, we make the MLS Cup in Toronto.....(I'm fainting here, I need to sit down.....)

DVS
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd probably pass out if Del Piero were to sign for TFC, although I think he's going to retire with Juventus.

I agree. Also, next year is Juve's new stadium opening. I'm sure he won't want to miss that even if Juve put him on the bench.

ADP would be more a scalpers dream than a fans dream as well.

Nodoubtguy
05-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Del Piero comes to Toronto, we make the MLS Cup in Toronto.....(I'm fainting here, I need to sit down.....)

Can someone get Billy some water!!!

billyfly
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I agree. Also, next year is Juve's new stadium opening. I'm sure he won't want to miss that even if Juve put him on the bench.

ADP would be more a scalpers dream than a fans dream as well.

We'll just "loan" him back Beckham style.

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Something about too good to be true.... LOL

As usual, I'll wait for the 'official' word before discussing further.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I mentioned ADP as a possible DP last year...it would be crazy if it actually came through.

sampace
05-25-2010, 09:13 AM
How many of Barret's chances on the weekend would have been buried if they landed on Del Piero's feet instead of Barret? (By the way I do like Barrett he serves his role and plays his ass off which I respect, if everyone on the team played as hard as Barrett does we'd be in great shape.)

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I mentioned ADP as a possible DP last year...it would be crazy if it actually came through.

You and half the Italian population on this board. :rofl:

TFC/Everton
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
10 in 26 games in 09/10. He would eat MLS defenders alive! Although, Dero will not be happy, as we all know, he wants to be the DP.

sampace
05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Del Piero will be playing in Toronto with Juventus tonight at the Rogers Centre, perhaps they will announce his signing at half time or something and shock us all. There will be Mo Johnston, Preki and their new scout Jim Brennen. Jim Brennen will take credit for making this happen! I can see it now...

loconet
05-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Meh..Yah, I guess this rumors are "timely" given today's game.

However, I doubt they are anything beyond rumors (http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2176/serie-a/2010/05/25/1941861/juventus-legend-alessandro-del-piero-makes-big-promises-ahead-of-). If they're just waiting on the international transfer paper-work, then it should just be a matter of hours/day max before they can announce it no?

edit: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12961_6169300,00.html

He said: "Definitely next season, I'll wear the Juventus jersey again. Then, we will see. Everything can happen.

billyfly
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Del Piero will be playing in Toronto with Juventus tonight at the Rogers Centre, perhaps they will announce his signing at half time or something and shock us all. There will be Mo Johnston, Preki and their new scout Jim Brennen. Jim Brennen will take credit for making this happen! I can see it now...

How about Del Piero gets hurt at tonight's game and then the deal is off. Mo then says "We had something but it fell thru..."

TFC/Everton
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2176/serie-a/2010/05/25/1941861/juventus-legend-alessandro-del-piero-makes-big-promises-ahead-of-

Does it sound like he is saying good by to the Juventus fans???

Dear God, I know we dont talk alot anymore, but can you make this happen for us? I wont ask for anything ever again, I promise!!! Amen.

DVS
05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2176/serie-a/2010/05/25/1941861/juventus-legend-alessandro-del-piero-makes-big-promises-ahead-of-

Dear God, I know we dont talk alot anymore, but can you make this happen for us? I wont ask for anything ever again, I promise!!! Amen.

Ya and while your at it go to the Rogers Centre tonight and watch the supposed future TFC player Del Piero play his Serie A foes.

BUY A TICKET :)

Lucky Strike
05-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I nearly fell out of my chair when I read the article just now. That move would be off the charts and seems "more real" as the 24th minute doesn't usually report just any garbage. It's going to be tough telling myself this isn't going to happen to keep my hopes down. *Shakes fist at Duane*

P.S. Insert here the required "he'd tear MLS a new one" comment.

nascarguy
05-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I do not listin to rumors and nothing can save Mo's bacon

Globetrotter
05-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Heart fluttering? Fainting? You guys are a bunch of teenage girls!!

billyfly
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Heart fluttering? Fainting? You guys are a bunch of teenage girls!!

Or a bunch of guys that wanna see our team win.

Pachuco
05-25-2010, 09:48 AM

This doesn't sound like a quote from someone saying goodbye, in fact, sounds to me like he's saying he'll be back with a vengeance.

"The past season was a disaster. Now we want to rest and then restart so we can live next season as protagonists," he told Tuttosport.

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 09:50 AM
ADP would be nice, I'll believe it if I see him holding up the jersey.

The rumour maybe around since he is in town: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/05/24/sp-juventus-fiorentina.html

That being said, it would be a sensible move, if possible because (1) it would appeal to Eurosnobs, who don't seem to know JDG that well (2) We need firepower up front.

Maybe our DP is Dickov? That would be much more likely. Of course, he doesn't play for Juve, but who knows how accurate the rumour is?

gmacpheetfc
05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
que the ADP chants thread

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 09:59 AM
que the ADP chants thread

A little early, no?

TFC/Everton
ADP would be nice, I'll believe it if I see him holding up the jersey.

The rumour maybe around since he is in town: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/05/24/sp-juventus-fiorentina.html

That being said, it would be a sensible move, if possible because (1) it would appeal to Eurosnobs, who don't seem to know JDG that well (2) We need firepower up front.

Maybe our DP is Dickov? That would be much more likely.

MLSE will NEVER allow Mo to sign Dickov as our DP. Moreover, that signing would be a joke around the league.

Lucky Strike
I've taken the time to look through Juventus's roster (except for those out on loan) and Del Piero is the only one so far that fits the description of also being a former international.

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I've taken the time to look through Juventus's roster (except for those out on loan) and Del Piero is the only one so far that fits the description of also being a former international.

hmmmm. Just a rumour at this point, though.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Trezeguet is the guy we need...although he isn;t italian. But delpiero is more of a play maker something that we have in dero...

menefreghista
05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Maybe Roberto Bettega has been giving Del Piero advice about playing in Toronto?

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
You and half the Italian population on this board. :rofl:

Actually at the time, I believe I saw very little if anything mentioning ADP.

DVS
05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
I think Trezeguet is the guy we need...although he isn;t italian. But delpiero is more of a play maker something that we have in dero...

Good luck paying Trezeguet's huge salary. Besides I'm sure trez would go to lique 1 before going to MLS

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Really? In year one I remember people bringing him and Gattuso up because of his 'italian' connection with Toronto.

DVS
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Really? In year one I remember people bringing him and Gattuso up because of his 'italian' connection with Toronto.

I think Christian Vieri should be mentioned. At least TFC would have a shot with that guy.

Alarius
05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
My heart can't take the disappointment if after all this speculation our DP ended up being Dickov :(

Lucky Strike
05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I think Christian Vieri should be mentioned. At least TFC would have a shot with that guy.

And wasn't there an Italian Nazi or a communist or something (he had some kind of extremist political belief)? Lucarelli was it? Don't think he ever played for Juventus though.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2010, 10:28 AM

id rather have him too, also if im not mistaken he is a former international as well... unless domenech has brought him back

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Yes, Gattuso has been brought up several times. But when I raised the ADP issue, it hadn't been spoken much beforehand.

DVS
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
And wasn't there an Italian Nazi or a communist or something (he had some kind of extremist political belief)? Lucarelli was it? Don't think he ever played for Juventus though.

Yes TFC could get him. I think he is like 40 now though but ya he played for everyone but Juventus.

The last I heard of Vieri was taht he was being paid 50K USD a month in South America. He was also given his own driver and a condo. I swear that guy would do anything for money.

James17930
05-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I'll bet all this is is that Mo has a contract drawn up and ready, sitting in his office, which he's going to use to try and entice Del Piero to come here.

And Del Piero will probably just politely decline.

Whoop
05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Whatever happened to Dave van der Bergh?

Wagner
05-25-2010, 10:43 AM
what happened to Hakan Sukur??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakan_%C5%9E%C3%BCk%C3%BCr

I thought that was a done deal ;)

Cas87
05-25-2010, 10:44 AM

If you take both the "former Italian international" and "current Juve player" then ADP is a good idea, it may also be Girgio Chiellini (a centre back)

If you just take the "current Juve player" part then Trezuget is another good bet

That being said I am like most others on these boards, I'll believe it when Mo, Jimmy and Preki are standing beside someone holding a jersey

canadian_bhoy
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I can picture it now......."Del Piero to Barrett, Barrett puts it 20 yards over the net!

Fixed your post

TFCUNITED
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
It would be really sweet if ADP came. Maybe in a year from now he will come.

Whoop
05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
That being said I am like most others on these boards, I'll believe it when Mo, Jimmy and Preki are standing beside someone holding a jersey

I'll believe it when someone steps on the field.

Even if they are holding a jersey, they can still back out!

Phil
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes, Gattuso has been brought up several times. But when I raised the ADP issue, it hadn't been spoken much beforehand.

First year he was romoured to be on his way here.....it has died down since then but its always been mentioned.

We are getting to that time of year where this stuff is going to go crazy.

deltox
05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
and another 3 trialists at TFC training today!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Once MLS RUMORS confirms it!....then i'll start talking Del Piero ..;)

RedsYNWA
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Del Piero here would be HUGE ahhh to Dream

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
First year he was romoured to be on his way here.....it has died down since then but its always been mentioned.

Thank you sir, I knew I had seen it before. ;)

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
guys i think it might be Diego... Now that i think about it. again he is not italian. But i read an article on goal.com where diego mentioned that he would like to come to play to MLS. I just don;t think del piero would really come to toronto, he doesn;t seem the type of guy who can be swayed by money...

TFCREDNWHITE
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
ADP would be a great addition! I hope they can make it happen

[NBF]
05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I was watching Argentina Juniors Vs Huracan last week and the commentators said that Mauro Camoranesi turned down a million dollars a season contract to play for a Argentine team(I forget which) maybe San Lorenzo. He said that a million dollars was alot of money in Argentina, but he didnt want to play for half the money he could be making.

Priority List for Camoranesi:
1. Money
2. Prestige
3. City

I think its a done deal, if Camoranesi came to TFC that would be a huge boost to the team. Not to mention is as much a scoring threat as Henry in this league, because of the cannon for right leg.

Im excited people!!!!!!

Mauro CAMORANESI!!!!

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
guys i think it might be Diego... Now that i think about it. again he is not italian. But i read an article on goal.com where diego mentioned that he would like to come to play to MLS. I just don;t think del piero would really come to toronto, he doesn;t seem the type of guy who can be swayed by money...
Also del piero states that next year he'll stay with juve ( wants to get his 500 cap i am assuming). anyway here is the link
http://ww2.mlsnet.com/news/article/del-piero-re-opens-door-possible-american-switch

edit: diego won;t happen the juve payed 25 mill for 5 year contract... there is no way they are letting him go

ManUtd4ever
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
I love this speculation! At the very least I think there is a realistic possibility that a DP striker signing is imminent with a greater pedigree than a Dickov or Baptiste...

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Are you kidding? The guy is 25... he was just picked up last year for nearly 30M euros on a 5 year contract... and he's going to come to the MLS?

MY FUCKING ASS. Not one single team in the MLS would even batt an eye at the pricetag that would have to be paid in order to even negotiate a contract with him.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-25-2010, 11:14 AM

HAHA we might as well start merging it here.....from 2008!!!!

Del Piero as TFC DP? Perhaps, says Craig Forrest.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7338&page=4

jloome
05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
We need a fullback with quality.

We need a striker but it's less a priority than a wide player/wide forward.

I don't think Del Piero would do anything other than retire at Juventus. He's certainly not coming here, now, based on recent statements to fans. He's not the type to key them up then crap on them.

Based on Mo's past patterns, if there really are DP papers signed, I'd be looking at a recently relegated team, where they need to shed salary, and probably in England.

Isn't David Edgar at Burnley....

Hmmm......

EDIT: By way of explanation, he could move Nana back to fullback if he got Edgar, or even play Edgar there as he's very versatile.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2010, 11:16 AM
;1037311']I was watching Argentina Juniors Vs Huracan last week and the commentators said that Mauro Camoranesi turned down a million dollars a season contract to play for a Argentine team(I forget which) maybe San Lorenzo. He said that a million dollars was alot of money in Argentina, but he didnt want to play for half the money he could be making.

Priority List for Camoranesi:
1. Money
2. Prestige
3. City

I think its a done deal, if Camoranesi came to TFC that would be a huge boost to the team. Not to mention is as much a scoring threat as Henry in this league, because of the cannon for right leg.

Im excited people!!!!!!

Mauro CAMORANESI!!!!
it was actually river plate that were persuing him...

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
We need a fullback with quality.

We need a striker but it's less a priority than a wide player/wide forward.

I don't think Del Piero would do anything other than retire at Juventus. He's certainly not coming here, now, based on recent statements to fans. He's not the type to key them up then crap on them.

Based on Mo's past patterns, if there really are DP papers signed, I'd be looking at a recently relegated team, where they need to shed salary, and probably in England.

Isn't David Edgar at Burnley....

Hmmm......

Hmm.. quite the possibility actually. He's sort of fallen off the radar in England as of late. Not that I'd want another defensive DP, but Edgar would be an amazing pickup IMO. Gives us a solid LB, with option for CB if need be.

jloome
05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Of course, it's probably DeRo, as they can save on his salary that way under the new rules and create cap space.

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Of course, it's probably DeRo, as they can save on his salary that way under the new rules and create cap space.

DeRo to DP so they can bring in Baptiste and/or Dickov... Something that myself and a few others speculated before the season.

jloome
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Bingo

Whoop
05-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Diego can still catch on with another European team.

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Now... back to figuring out the three trialists...

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM

This would make the most financial sense since a big-name expensive DP can't fill more seats at BMO Field.

Say you make DeRo a DP and up DeRo's salary from 450k to 750k (which is the only way he would agree to restructure his contract if you increase his salary and extend it since as I understand it, this is his last year under the current salary other than an option that I wouldn't exercise). He would still only count at what, 300k against the Salary Cap right?

That leaves another 150k (plus whatever other room you have) to spend on a player right?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Lucky Strike
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM

A Englishman, a Serb and a Brazilian walk into a bar...

Gixmo
05-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Anyone got faces on the trialists?

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:24 AM
^^ Nope, not that I've seen yet. Someone get in there and snap some pics!

Ladies Love Julius James
05-25-2010, 11:25 AM

Baptiste and Stern John..2/3 LOL

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
^^ Think so? Maybe Baptiste, John and Ornoch?

Darlofletch
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll believe it when someone steps on the field.

Even if they are holding a jersey, they can still back out!

Yep, I remember when Faustino Asprilla "signed" for darlington. Even went as far as to be paraded round the pitch holding a scarf, by our eccentric rich chairman.

Got as far as the morning of his first game (and i was back in england at the time so was going to see it) before he suddenly realised he had better things to do and scarpered.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM

i wish, theres no way tho, guy is 25, Juve paid 24 million for him and he is lusted after by the likes of City and Arsenal, also i dont know hes played enough for Brazil to be considered an ex international

madcow
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't know if Mo was referring to his actual age or the rumour of ADP coming here but he posted this on his twitter about 1 hour ago; "I am certain that Del piero never grows old".

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2010, 11:45 AM
the DeRo to DP makes sense, it had been thrown around a while back

razor787
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't know if Mo was referring to his actual age or the rumour of ADP coming here but he posted this on his twitter about 1 hour ago; "I am certain that Del piero never grows old".

What twitter is that?

But damn... I am so excited right now. I know it is a 1% chance that this rumor will come true, but if it does, I am going to party all night. :scarf:

Sonny Cheeba
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
the DeRo to DP makes sense, it had been thrown around a while back

yeah they signed that guy already.. he's alright.:D

Darlofletch
05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
as for potential non dp trialists. I have absolutely no inside info, and haven't heard anything at all about this, but i think he could be a good fit here, and he's definitely interested in MLS.

Luke Rodgers, league one level player, about the same as Dickov, but a lot younger, played at Notts County last year, impressed Hans Backe enough that he was going to go to the Red bulls. Got pretty far along the process, but then it fell apart at the last minute, officially due to work permit issues, though could be the shite bulls saving cash for Henry.

Though given that his wiki entry has it's own "controversy" section then the work permit reason could be very valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Rodgers

I wouldn't be wowed by this in any way, but i'd say he's a realistic option, and could be a decent player for us.

Gixmo
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
The MauriceJohnston Twitter is a weird place.

Some things said make sense, some do not - I'd be hard pressed to believe it's real though. Who knows, one day we will find out. PB alluded to it being false.

It does break a fair bit of 'news' though, around the same time it breaks here.

Pachuco
05-25-2010, 11:58 AM

Some things said make sense, some do not - I'd be hard pressed to believe it's real though. Who knows, one day we will find out. PB alluded to it being false.

The MJ twitter breaks news? the last news it broke was a signing that was going to be announced the next day, so much for that. That was weeks ago. AFAIK, there is nothing that has come out of that twitter account that has come to fruition.

Super
05-25-2010, 12:00 PM

It must be fake. What's the point of having a twitter page, which can be a great way to communicate with fans, if you're not going to make it KNOWN to be your twitter page. Mo has never said that. So until he confirms, in person, that this is his twitter page, it's just some guy with wayyyyy too much time on his hands.

rocker
05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Mo is not on twitter, according to PB.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I really wish this point would be more widely known. Let's try to make it clear for everyone.

THAT IS NOT MO JOHNSTON'S TWITTER.

Phil
05-25-2010, 12:48 PM

I think we were in the same car when we heard that.

Somewhere wandering the LA outback lol.

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
:rofl: This is very true.

tfcleeds
05-25-2010, 01:02 PM
First of all, where did anyone get the idea that Diego is coming here? Not happening, period. If we get him, we might as well get Maicon and Pato while we're at it.

This thread reminds me of something that happened on the Leeds United official site a few years back. The site announced that a 'new signing' was imminent, and all the fans got into a tizzy, wondering who it could be. Turned out, the 'new signing' ended up being a new Director of Catering, or some such thing...

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Turned out, the 'new signing' ended up being a new Director of Catering, or some such thing...

:lol:

gmacpheetfc
05-25-2010, 01:31 PM
okay its now official

http://www.mls-rumors.net/8717/2010/05/incoming-alessandro-del-piero-to-toronto-fc-2/

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
okay its now official

http://www.mls-rumors.net/8717/2010/05/incoming-alessandro-del-piero-to-toronto-fc-2/

flatpicker
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
okay its now official

yup, that confirms it then...

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 01:47 PM

HAHA we might as well start merging it here.....from 2008!!!!

Del Piero as TFC DP? Perhaps, says Craig Forrest.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=7338&page=4

That thread (and the rumours) is from November of 2008.

Here is my post from SEPTEMBER of 2008.

I do believe September comes before November, but I may be wrong.

:D

We should sign Del Piero. And no I am not smoking anything.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/09/12/del.piero/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/09/12/del.piero/index.html)

Del Piero in Toronto would be huge. There is a big Italian community here. He'd still be able to market himself in the US. And MLSE can afford him.

Do it TFC. Do it Mo. Del Piero is one of the most potent snipers in the game...even now.

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
If this were true (and there are too many rumours all the time), would ADP be a "Preki kind of player?" I could see Preki benching him if he didn't give a top effort! Remember, he cut Guevara from Chivas.

If he's not a "Preki player," then give this rumour a big zero.

werewolf
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
I think we were in the same car when we heard that.

Somewhere wandering the LA outback lol.

It was most certainly discussed in 2007, and even the first board in 2006.

arbogast
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
If this were true (and there are too many rumours all the time), would ADP be a "Preki kind of player?" I could see Preki benching him if he didn't give a top effort! Remember, he cut Guevara from Chivas.

^^^ what he said. And i would also add that Del Piero is normally a withdrawn 2nd striker, the same position Derosario has been playing quite successfully for most of the year. I don't see the need to pay some one big bucks to play a role that is already being more than adequately filled.

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
It was most certainly discussed in 2007, and even the first board in 2006.

That is what I thought.

That thread (and the rumours) is from November of 2008.

Here is my post from SEPTEMBER of 2008.

I do believe September comes before November, but I may be wrong.

Eat a dick you doubley wrong bastard! :D

NewCity
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

I agree. Our Dp has to be a "Preki player". I can't see Del Piero on our team or any other big name players on our team as we need to remember that season tickets are sold out. The demand is their. MLSE works this way...strictly financial gains. Now if they do pull a huge move, than it would boost not only the team but more importantly MLSE can cash in huge with the merchandising aspect. Something to think about I guess...

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
That is what I thought.

Eat a dick you doubley wrong bastard! :D

Musings yes...we can find threads from 06, 07, 08 and 09 about our desire to see just about every major European player in TFC red as a DP.

A bonafide rumour? I don't recall there being an actual widespread rumour until late 2008. That's my only point. Was I the first to suggest ADP? Probably not. Did I do it in the middle of one the infamous "MLS rumours"? Not at all. That's all I was saying.

So...SUCK IT! :lol:

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
No, you straight up claimed to be the first. When in fact, the first 'real' rumor came from the back of a vehicle in LA in late '07... direct from someone's mouth as per Rooney's statement. ;) Before that it was all unsubstantiated rumours.. and anything after was a repeat rumour.

So eat a dick you doubley wrong bastard, I stand by that! :rofl:

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
A bonafide rumour?

I love that expression. Kind of like a genuine imitation Armani suit. :D

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I love that expression. Kind of like a genuine imitation Armani suit. :D

Et tu Brutus?

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Dolce & Gabana... HELLOOOOOO! :lol:

TFC07
05-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree. Our Dp has to be a "Preki player". I can't see Del Piero on our team or any other big name players on our team as we need to remember that season tickets are sold out. The demand is their. MLSE works this way...strictly financial gains. Now if they do pull a huge move, than it would boost not only the team but more importantly MLSE can cash in huge with the merchandising aspect. Something to think about I guess...

But our TV ratings is lacking! TFC needs to work on that so they can make money from TV companies as long with merchandise.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:16 PM
No, you straight up claimed to be the first. When in fact, the first 'real' rumor came from the back of a vehicle in LA in late '07... direct from someone's mouth as per Rooney's statement. ;) Before that it was all unsubstantiated rumours.. and anything after was a repeat rumour.

Huh?

:noidea:

I love you Jay...but if we ever do any sort of business with each other, I am going to have to tape absolutely everything we say to each other. :D

TFC07
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Suits from upstairs will must sure that doesn't happen to our major DP signing.

Pigfynn
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM
A DP like Del Piero would help the TV ratings immensely and maybe even make the stadium full again...on TV this weekend it looked brutal.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2010, 02:19 PM
my bad if they were specific about it being an italian international, trezuget was french

Shaughno

And this one Roogs? ;)

Roogsy
A DP like Del Piero would help the TV ratings immensely and maybe even make the stadium full again...on TV this weekend it looked brutal.

Yeah...the stadium isn't looking as full as it used to be. It seems we have hit our maximum concentration and with the new seats, there seems to be just enough tickets to meet demand, perhaps even slightly too much. Which means that sense of "not being able to get tickets" isn't much of a problem this year. I know as I arrived late to the game this weekend, there were plenty of scalpers selling at a discount. When do you see that happening?! :eek:

The honeymoon was over a while back...but now we are entering an even newer stage of ambivalence. That's not a good thing.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
And this one Roogs? ;)

Did you find anything else in September of 2008 mentioning ADP? If you didn't...then that statement is in fact, 100% accurate is it not?

TFC07
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Isn't it possible it could be Cannavaro instead of ADP coming to Toronto?

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Lots of things are possible...but to be honest, I have always felt that Italians players would be the last DPs that will ever come over. They barely like leaving the Italian soccer system to begin with, let alone leaving Europe.

From what I read, Cannavaro was making overtures to his old Serie A club, Napoli I think.

Alonso
05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah...the stadium isn't looking as full as it used to be. It seems we have hit our maximum concentration and with the new seats, there seems to be just enough tickets to meet demand, perhaps even slightly too much. Which means that sense of "not being able to get tickets" isn't much of a problem this year. I know as I arrived late to the game this weekend, there were plenty of scalpers selling at a discount. When do you see that happening?! :eek:

The honeymoon was over a while back...but now we are entering an even newer stage of ambivalence. That's not a good thing.

In my opinion it is a good thing because it will actually make MLSE move and start competing with the other top teams in the league for some good DP talent.

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Maybe it is a good thing if it gets them motivated enough to pay for a high-quality DP. As long as all the games are sellouts we say they won't spend on a DP because they don't have to.

Ageroo
05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Maybe it is a good thing if it gets them motivated enough to pay for a high-quality DP. As long as all the games are sellouts we say they won't spend on a DP because they don't have to.

I don't agree with that at all.....just because they are selling out to me doesn't mean that they are satusfied with being mediocre.....but that's my opinion. You always want to improve your team......They have the money, it is just getting the right person to sign on the dotted line. Attracting a DP worthy player will always be difficult....

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
While the positive outcome of reduced attendance figures might be action on the part of the FO, it is still disappointing that they need that kind of a kick in the pants to actually get up and do something as opposed to doing it before it happens because it's just good business.

I am an idealist, I know. Sometimes you just don't want to accept reality until it smacks you in the face with the cold hard facts.

Gixmo
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
The MJ twitter breaks news? the last news it broke was a signing that was going to be announced the next day, so much for that. That was weeks ago. AFAIK, there is nothing that has come out of that twitter account that has come to fruition.

Read what I said - The 'News' is in ' '

It's tongue in cheek, as in it's someone from here

bigtfcfan
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Great news if true.

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
While the positive outcome of reduced attendance figures might be action on the part of the FO, it is still disappointing that they need that kind of a kick in the pants to actually get up and do something as opposed to doing it before it happens because it's just good business.

I am an idealist, I know. Sometimes you just don't want to accept reality until it smacks you in the face with the cold hard facts.

Ha ha, I agree, but you're the one who smacked the reality:

"This would make the most financial sense since a big-name expensive DP can't fill more seats at BMO Field." (from a couple of pages back in this thread ;))

This is the main reason I hate the DP rule. I think these owners will always spend up to the cap. Past that things get tougher. They did, finally, pay for a DP and I think they will, eventually, pay for another. But if the salary cap was higher they'd spend more now.

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
This is the main reason I hate the DP rule. I think these owners will always spend up to the cap. Past that things get tougher. They did, finally, pay for a DP and I think they will, eventually, pay for another. But if the salary cap was higher they'd spend more now.

Stop making sense... you know that has no place in MLS!

Super
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that a big name DP would make great financial sense for TFC. We've yet to sell out a game this year (although, yes, the weather did play a part) and no doubt income is down on all fronts too. A big name striker would increase our chances of winning games, playing more entertaining football, and adding credibility to the brand as a whole. No doubt ad sales would go up, and so would TV viewership.

It makes perfect sense. In fact, probably moreso here than anywhere else in the league right now.

ensco
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that a big name DP would make great financial sense for TFC...

It makes perfect sense. In fact, probably moreso here than anywhere else in the league right now.

I agree, but of course, frustratingly, it's not my money.

it speaks to the core of the issue, which is this: is MLSE in "conservation mode" or "investment mode"?

I fear it's always "conservation mode" with these guys. When MLSE teams spend, it's to "protect" (ie existing SSH sales, TV contracts etc). They don't spend to build, historically. It's not how you get promoted over there.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that a big name DP would make great financial sense for TFC.

As a fan, yeah it makes sense.

As an objective observer? I am not so sure. Why is it obvious that it makes financial sense? In fact, I think it may be the opposite. Like Ensco mentions, if they are in investment/growth mode, then perhaps, otherwise, I don't think there is a business case for a 2nd DP.

Sonny Cheeba
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
ok i've had to fellate a lot and i mean A LOT of dudes to get this info...

but it's Nicklas Bendtner, his pink boots are extra.

please don't ask for any links to prove it.

Suds
05-25-2010, 04:42 PM

about the fellating part or the Bendtner part? :D

Super
05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
As a fan, yeah it makes sense.

As an objective observer? I am not so sure. Why is it obvious that it makes financial sense? In fact, I think it may be the opposite. Like Ensco mentions, if they are in investment/growth mode, then perhaps, otherwise, I don't think there is a business case for a 2nd DP.

Well, I guess it can be argued that the current squad is strong enough to not only make the play-offs, but also compete beyond that for the title. I personally think that's quite the risk to take at this point in time - even with some pretty good games back-to-back. A second DP, and a striker no less, would strengthen our squad and could be the last puzzle that would lift us into the play-offs. The dollars earned on a play-off run + Champions League run + the more wins (which means more butts in seats + TV viewers + shirts/drink/food sales), etc. is a LOT. If we lose or play dull football, or at best eek our way into the play-offs, that'll cost MLSE in many ways - and millions of dollars in lost revenue at that, too. Nevermind the toll the first 3 years have taken on the brand itself. It's time to invest heavily to stand out as a big club.

It's year 4 and quite frankly it's amazing that it's difficult to even give a ticket away for free. Thousands of seats are empty at BMO at every game. There's growth potential there by playing better, winning more, and adding profiles to the team.

Brooker
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
every single person who wants to end their career in MLS wants to play for the Red Bulls...

do they realize we have a salary cap? lol.

Gixmo
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM

As an Arsenal supporter, I'm joyful
As a Toronto Supporter, I'm facepalming.

wzhxvy
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
His girlfriend. This maybe the reason for the DP status.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p253/stefaniedakota/steff76.jpg

wzhxvy
05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Evidently this is the "royal" girlfriend he met on a reality show...lol..I bet he tweets :-)

http://justwagsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Caroline-LB-146x300.jpg

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 07:02 PM

it speaks to the core of the issue, which is this: is MLSE in "conservation mode" or "investment mode"?

I fear it's always "conservation mode" with these guys. When MLSE teams spend, it's to "protect" (ie existing SSH sales, TV contracts etc). They don't spend to build, historically. It's not how you get promoted over there.

Corporations are always trying to protect the value they have, but the main prerogative of corporations, is to keep growing. Standing pat on what you have is completely antithetical, as far as corporations go.

I'm glad TFC are going to route of building qualtiy infrastructure - both in upgrading BMO Field as a facility, and looking to build a great training/academy facility. This indicates that they are looking to invest in the longer term sustainability of the club.

And MLSE absolutely have spent to build, depending on your definition of "build". They've been good at spending money on upgrades at the ACC and BMO, and they've been good at upgrading the training apparatus for all of their teams - including currently seeking a spot to build a facility for TFC.

The reality is that we don't know what is available to us in the DP market - we've seen guys like Robert Pires turn down Philadelphia, because he doesn't think it's a "beautiful city". Sometimes the transaction isn't as simple as throwing money at players, unless you're Los Angeles or New York, two of the most famous cities in the world.

I hope they sign another DP, just to punch yet another hole in this intellectually lazy conventional wisdom that MLSE are "cheap", and not interested in spending money (not attributing this view to you, ensco).

Last year the conventional wisdom was that MLSE were too corporate and cheap to spend any money on a DP at all, and then they signed JDG. Then people were skeptical about us ever getting grass, because we all knew MLSE were too corporate, and cheap, and concerned about the crude bottom line, to invest in something like grass. Then we got grass.

This year there has been some murmurs about us not having a proper training facility, and lo and behold, it turns out they've already got plans drawn up, and are simply looking for a "partner" in finding a location for it.

What MLSE have been bad at - and hopefully this trend is starting to reverse - is hiring competent personnel to manage their properties on a competitive level. Money has not been the problem, and the people who say it is, often wind up wielding highly "selective" facts.

In a perfect world, I'd love to run a social experiment in which MLSE hold a press conference falsely announcing they have sold all of their sports franchises, just to see how the fan reaction would change to some of the decisions they make.

- Scott

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I hope they sign another DP, just to punch yet another hole in this intellectually lazy conventional wisdom that MLSE are "cheap", and not interested in spending money (not attributing this view to you, ensco).

No, it's not intellectually lazy, it's just looking at where they spend their money. Of course they spend money.

They're "better" at spending money on obvious physical assets that are much easier to quantify and justify. And depreciate.

As you said yourself they're not as good at the tougher money decisions like which person (or even how many) to hire to run their teams. And that's where they've been known to make mistakes that look as though they were taking the cheaper way.

Let's hope you're right and they've corrected that.

But let's not lump two very differet kinds of spending together into one category to get the results we want.

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
No, it's not intellectually lazy, it's just looking at where they spend their money. Of course they spend money.

They're "better" at spending money on obvious physical assets that are much easier to quantify and justify. And depreciate.

As you said yourself they're not as good at the tougher money decisions like which person (or even how many) to hire to run their teams. And that's where they've been known to make mistakes that look as though they were taking the cheaper way.

Let's hope you're right and they've corrected that.

But let's not lump two very differet kinds of spending together into one category to get the results we want.

How does the value of a training facility depreciate? Or a better playing surface? Or a stadium expansion? Even in terms of player signings for their various teams, MLSE have thrown some pretty ridiculous money at players who weren't worth it.

MLSE's problems all boil down to poor personnel hirings, and don't extend very far beyond that. I don't think they are "tough money decisions" - they are just bad decisions, period. Money doesn't enter into it - MLSE have given some of their coaches and GM's huge paychecks, including Brian Burke, Dave Nonis, Bryan Colanglo, and Ron Wilson currently. I don't know what the rest make.

MLSE's problem was poor hiring and management structure, not an unwillingness to pay. It anything, MLSE's other problem was that they thought all they needed to do to be successful, was throw some money around.

But yes, I also hope I'm right and they are slowly turning the Titanic around. The omens we have are good (at leat in my opinion), but only time will tell.

- Scott

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 07:51 PM
^ Yes, I agree that many of the omens are good. At least the people in charge of the hockey team have good resumes and the experience to run a winning team (I don't follow basketball, but I'm told that looks good, too).

But you understand how the cost of a training facility and a stadium expansion can be ammortized over many, many years but once a manager is fired whatever was spent on him (and still owed to him) is gone, right? You see the difference between hard costs and personnel?

Like any company MLSE can take bids on designing a training facility and take bids on the construction and compare. It's a completely different decision making process than signing a player or manager, espcially if there are other teams interested driving up the cost.

The problem may be that they look at the decision making the same way. Or they did. That would explain some of the personnel decisions they made in the past, the JF Jr., and TFC hirings.

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 07:56 PM
^ Yes, I agree that many of the omens are good. At least the people in charge of the hockey team have good resumes and the experience to run a winning team (I don't follow basketball, but I'm told that looks good, too).

But you understand how the cost of a training facility and a stadium expansion can be ammortized over many, many years but once a manager is fired whatever was spent on him (and still owed to him) is gone, right? You see the difference between hard costs and personnel?

Like any company MLSE can take bids on designing a training facility and take bids on the construction and compare. It's a completely different decision making process than signing a player or manager, espcially if there are other teams interested driving up the cost.

The problem may be that they look at the decision making the same way. Or they did. That would explain some of the personnel decisions they made in the past, the JF Jr., and TFC hirings.

But even in terms of coach/GM hirings in the past, I don't think the process was governed by an unwillingness to spend. MLSE have become very adept in the past 5-6 years, at paying former GMs and coaches to sit at home - JFJ, Paul Maurice, Sam Mitchell... you know the names.

I just think their problem was poor management, as opposed to cheap management.

- Scott

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
^ Okay, sure, we can call it poor management instead of cheap. I was just trying to give them an excuse, something they could change, because it sure looks like the people who made those poor management decisions are here to stay and are going to make a lot more decisons. I was hoping that they didn't have the budget and if it was increased they'd be consistently better.

Now I guess I'm hoping they've learned from their mistakes and gotten better. Or maybe they'll just get lucky, that works, too ;).

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
^ Okay, sure, we can call it poor management instead of cheap. I was just trying to give them an excuse, something they could change, because it sure looks like the people who made those poor management decisions are here to stay and are going to make a lot more decisons. I was hoping that they didn't have the budget and if it was increased they'd be consistently better.

Now I guess I'm hoping they've learned from their mistakes and gotten better. Or maybe they'll just get lucky, that works, too ;).

The fundamental change in the Leafs management structure - the GM no longer reports to Richard Peddie - is what leaves me hopeful that maybe they've learned from their many, many mistakes. They didn't just hire a better guy, they changed the way that guy reports to ownership.

- Scott

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
^ It is a good change. And they let him hire a second GM, also a good change. There are good signs, no doubt.

But do you think there's much chance they'll sign a second DP for TFC this year?

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 08:32 PM
^ It is a good change. And they let him hire a second GM, also a good change. There are good signs, no doubt.

But do you think there's much chance they'll sign a second DP for TFC this year?

I have no idea. But then again, the value of a second DP to the team is far less clear or obvious than the value of a good GM to a sports team.

If a guy like Del Piero expressed interest in not only coming to MLS, but specifically playing for Toronto, then I would hope MLSE would pay what it took to get a deal done (within reason). A player like ADP has clear, obvious talents that would clearly benefit our team.

If we are talking lesser players, or over the hill superstars, then things get a little more murky. Unfortunately we as fans have no idea what options are available to the team. For all we know they've approached guys like ADP, and they've turned us down.

- Scott

jloome
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM

It never is anywhere that corporate ownership is dominant. You don't get ahead in corporations by making waves, you do it by being a "good guy" who "always listens" and never "raises problems."

Proactivity isn't a huge part of that world. Eugene, the stories I could tell you from the last few months about football ownership......

Ah, but that's for the weird book. John, if you're reading this thread, I'm unofficially calling it the weird book now, which is never a good sign in the marketplace.

Chevy
05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

That would be sweet, but my money is on Trezeguet.

James17930
05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Del Piero says in that MLS article that he's def. staying at Juve next year, but then after that 'who knows.' But by then he'll be 36/37.

Does he think he could come to MLS at that age? More likely he'll just retire next year.

Again, this rumour is probably just that maybe Mo is going to offer him a contract, but that's it.

ensco
05-25-2010, 09:34 PM
It never is anywhere that corporate ownership is dominant. You don't get ahead in corporations by making waves, you do it by being a "good guy" who "always listens" and never "raises problems."

Proactivity isn't a huge part of that world. Eugene, the stories I could tell you from the last few months about football ownership......

Ah, but that's for the weird book. John, if you're reading this thread, I'm unofficially calling it the weird book now, which is never a good sign in the marketplace.

Funny thing is, the one significant proactive investment MLSE did make was in the MLS expansion fee itself. You get the feeling it's been giving them angina ever since though.

Fee free to PM me any excerpts of your book, jloome!

Kaz
05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I only say this is the utmost jest and the understanding that comes out of going to school with mobsters kids.

perhaps the the concrete filled barrel at the bottom of the harbour was all a rouse designed to make this Italian player feel more at home in coming to Toronto?

SuperTCP
05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
MLSE does not have to worry about the cost of paying someone like Del Piero. He is loved by many fans, Juventino or not. The TFC jerseys baring the name "DEL PIERO" will make MLSE & Adidas Millions. The sales in Vaughan alone will more then pay for Alex's pay cheque for the 1st year. I know because I will buying at least 5 with his name if he signs for TFC :)

SuperTCP
05-25-2010, 09:51 PM
I only say this is the utmost jest and the understanding that comes out of going to school with mobsters kids.

perhaps the the concrete filled barrel at the bottom of the harbour was all a rouse designed to make this Italian player feel more at home in coming to Toronto?

Either that or a warning, better sign for us or esle....

sampace
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Just a question, put aside doubt, if Del Piero was Mo Johnston's target and he can be delivered how many would be happy with him coming to TFC?

devioustrevor
05-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Just a question, put aside doubt, if Del Piero was Mo Johnston's target and he can be delivered how many would be happy with him coming to TFC?

A guy with a proven history of scoring goals? I'd be happy. He's 35, but he's probably still good for 3 more years in MLS. Plus, it's not like he'd be likely to play every game. If Juventus made a deep European run next year (Europa Cup I believe) Juve would be playing upwards of 60 games. At TFC he'd likely only be playing 30-35.

Stryker
05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
If Mo somehow managed to get Del Piero I'd have to seriously reconsider my opinion of him as a manager. That'd be a major coup.

Super
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM
If Mo somehow managed to get Del Piero I'd have to seriously reconsider my opinion of him as a manager. That'd be a major coup.

I've wanted Mo gone since the end of last season, but no doubt signing a big name striker like that would win him a few points in my book. However, I'd probably still like to see him go. I just don't think he has much of any direction AT ALL and personally I want to have a GM who has a plan, and who is not afraid to talk to the public and let us know the plan too. Right now it just seems like he's hidding all the time. That's not very respectful of the fans to be honest, and it's a bit chickenshit of him to not stand up and explain himself when people demand answers.

Shakes McQueen
05-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, Mo is beyond redemption with me, no matter what happens. If we won the MLS Cup this season, I still wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that the team did it more in spite of his management, than because of it.

Even signing a competent coach took him three attempts - two of which were dismal failures.

And we can't forget his classless handling of player retirements and transfers. Or the fact that we entered this season with an incomplete lineup (which still hasn't been completely sorted out).

- Scott

Luca
05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I think I would shed tears of utter joy if we signed Del Piero.

Del Piero Barrett
Dero

Dero Barrett
Del Piero

The options are endless.

We could also be pulling Bobone out of retirement.

Super
05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah, Mo is beyond redemption with me, no matter what happens. If we won the MLS Cup this season, I still wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that the team did it more in spite of his management, than because of it.

Even signing a competent coach took him three attempts - two of which were dismal failures.

And we can't forget his classless handling of player retirements and transfers. Or the fact that we entered this season with an incomplete lineup (which still hasn't been completely sorted out).

- Scott

All of this is true. Now watch us make the play-offs and I bet he'll say "I proved you wrong!"

Shakes McQueen
05-26-2010, 12:34 AM
All of this is true. Now watch us make the play-offs and I bet he'll say "I proved you wrong!"

I just don't see how a GM can replace half of our roster every single season (and not just veterans, either), yet claim he has a long term plan in place.

Mo's "plan" has pretty transparently consisted of throwing darts at a wall of transfer cards with random names on them, then seeing if they can work as a team.

- Scott

Yagbod
05-26-2010, 12:52 AM
I hope it is not Del Piero, at least after watching him play tonight against AC Fiorintina at the suffocating SkyDome. He looked tired and uninspired.

Of note (however 'conspiracy theorist' this is): David Trezeguet was riding the pine all night while some of the other 'stars' played most of the game, including Amauri. He was probably injured or something. I don't follow Serie A. But my friend thought it was odd that he came all that way, played against the Shite Bulls (and lost) but did not play at all tonight. He looked ok in the warm-up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he is probably headed to River Plate, but still it makes you wonder.

Luca
05-26-2010, 01:06 AM
I hope it is not Del Piero, at least after watching him play tonight against AC Fiorintina at the suffocating SkyDome. He looked tired and uninspired.

At the end of a dismal season, having played a game two days prior and still suffering from jet lag, and in front of what was a tepid crowd, many players would look tired and uninspired.

You would be out of your mind if you wouldn't welcome a move for him. He has proven that he still has the ability to score at football's zenith, and he would tear the MLS to bits with his skill.

Hell, even Jovetic, who ran the show for La Viola tonight, admitted to being exhausted, and in between his (albeit numerous) flashes of brilliance, you could tell he was simply going through the motions.

Yagbod
05-26-2010, 01:15 AM
You are right about the tired part. And probably/partially right about him tearing it up. And 100% right about the tepid crowd. It was like a tomb for about 80% of the match. The Globe article mentions 'drums'. No way.

Still, Del Piero could be good as a one off. But no more than one season, which would fit with the 'go for the cup' idea.

ginkster88
05-26-2010, 01:22 AM
I just keep thinking about Robert. Hopefully Del Piero's passion for the game would prevent another debacle like that one.

Luca
05-26-2010, 01:24 AM
It really was the wrong venue for the match. Based on a visual guesstimate, BMO Field would have probably fit the amount of people who turned up, but the promoters (surprise!) were expecting far more. The open air and its intimacy would have also done wonders for the crowd, I suspect.

Luca
05-26-2010, 01:28 AM
I just keep thinking about Robert. Hopefully Del Piero's passion for the game would prevent another debacle like that one.

Keep in mind that Laurent Robert was, at best, a distinctly pedestrian midfielder (and that's being generous), while Alessandro Del Piero is in the FIFA 100.

Brooker
05-26-2010, 02:07 AM
And we can't forget his classless handling of player retirements and transfers.

"What a fantastic day yesterday! Great 4-1 victory against a strong Chicago team, also the unveiling of my No.9 jersey on the Wall of Honour.

Cant thank the club enough for surprising me by flying my parents over from England to be part of the proud proceedings for our family"

-Danny D

doesn't make up for everything, but gotta give them credit. that's pretty classy.....

DichioTFC
05-26-2010, 02:48 AM
"What a fantastic day yesterday! Great 4-1 victory against a strong Chicago team, also the unveiling of my No.9 jersey on the Wall of Honour.

Cant thank the club enough for surprising me by flying my parents over from England to be part of the proud proceedings for our family"

-Danny D

doesn't make up for everything, but gotta give them credit. that's pretty classy.....

MLSE has their moments, thats for sure. Dichio deserves it for everything he gave to the team, and everything he will in the future.

Ohhhhhhhhh....

ANTZ
05-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I was at the game last night i met up with a friend who was working for this game at toronto, Delpiero has asked a local canadian italian security guard for the juve team for his personal info #, he was told by Alex that he would be calling him to be his personal security guard not in "italy", looks like Red Bulls first T.O second from what i was told. MO make it happen he still has many Goals in him!

wzhxvy
05-26-2010, 07:44 AM
There is no way the red bulls gets both Henry and del piero...I find it difficult to believe

RedsYNWA
05-26-2010, 07:52 AM
I wonder what the revenue would =

Jersey sales
Ticket sales
TV
Extra games (playoffs, Concacaf)

I could not give a shit about the Seria A but if Del Piero signed that new white jersey with his name on it is going on my back

Oldtimer
05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
There is no way the red bulls gets both Henry and del piero...I find it difficult to believe

With three DP slots, anything is possible.

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
With three DP slots, anything is possible.
This is true but that doesn't mean it's actually feasible.

wzhxvy
05-26-2010, 08:03 AM
One other thing...NY Red Bulls are actually the NJ Red Bulls...with some intelligent spin and marketing, another team other than the Red Bulls would have a chance...at one or the other...

Brooker
05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
and think about all the new "fans" we'd get. i hope they'd educate me. :facepalm:

wzhxvy
05-26-2010, 08:13 AM
IMO Henry would do very serious damange in MLS...thats no fluff signing...ADP, I dont know...have not watched him play in a very long time

ua-kozak_TFC
05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
even is mo signs both messi and C ronaldo. I will still want him gone...

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
One other thing...NY Red Bulls are actually the NJ Red Bulls...with some intelligent spin and marketing, another team other than the Red Bulls would have a chance...at one or the other...

An old debate that is only ever had outside of the NY Tristate area. If you have ever lived in the area or stayed for an extended period of time, you would see that this debate is pretty irrelevant.

wzhxvy
05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
An old debate that is only ever had outside of the NY Tristate area. If you have ever lived in the area or stayed for an extended period of time, you would see that this debate is pretty irrelevant.

Yes I have and it might not be to you, but it is to many. And how do you know its only outside of the tristate area ? That debate happens every day...

gmacpheetfc
05-26-2010, 08:24 AM
I was at the game last night i met up with a friend who was working for this game at toronto, Delpiero has asked a local canadian italian security guard for the juve team for his personal info #, he was told by Alex that he would be calling him to be his personal security guard not in "italy", looks like Red Bulls first T.O second from what i was told. MO make it happen he still has many Goals in him!

What?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TFC/Everton
05-26-2010, 08:47 AM

It wouldn't be fair if you were teasing. That would just be crule.

Beach_Red
05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes I have and it might not be to you, but it is to many. And how do you know its only outside of the tristate area ? That debate happens every day...

It doesn't hurt the Giants and the Jets. But the Nets are moving to Brooklyn. So it's a debate all right, but it's not going to change any time soon.

The bigger problem for a soccer player in New York (or New Jersey) is getting less media coverage than high school football. The Yankees, the Mets, two NFL teams, two NBA teams, three NHL teams and a dozen college teams.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 09:41 AM

I highly doubt it. I have lived in NY and NJ and have family on both sides of the Hudson. For none of them is this an issue. I work with people on Wall Street every day. For none of them is this an issue. And I read local news media every day from the NY area and nowhere is it ever mentioned as being an issue. So where exactly would we find this to be an issue for NY/NJ residents? There has to be something tangible to point to this debate?

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 09:42 AM
It doesn't hurt the Giants and the Jets. But the Nets are moving to Brooklyn. So it's a debate all right, but it's not going to change any time soon.

The Nets moving to Brooklyn is evidence this is an issue? How so?

canadian_bhoy
05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
If DP is our DP - I have the perfect song for him!
I6qpQzK2Rj4

brad
05-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Keep in mind that Laurent Robert was, at best, a distinctly pedestrian midfielder (and that's being generous), while Alessandro Del Piero is in the FIFA 100.

No doubt that Del Piero is/was a better player than Robert. But regarding Robert, at his best, Laurent Robert was the second best left sided midfielder in one of the top leagues in the world (second to Ryan Giggs near his prime).

We picked him up 3 or 4 years past his best, when it was evident that he was close to past it.

Broadview
05-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Yankee Stadium enjoys quite the reputation as a baseball mecca.

It`s in the South Bronx which has an entirely different reputation.

Beach_Red
05-26-2010, 09:53 AM
The Nets moving to Brooklyn is evidence this is an issue? How so?

They didn't want to be in New Jersey. They could have moved in with the Devils in the new building in Newark but wanted to be "New York." Are they goin to change the name to the New York Nets or the Brooklyn Nets? It would be great if the new owner was serious in his press conference last week and gave them a Russian name.

But you're right, for many of their fans the new stadium will be even further and more difficult to get to but for others it'll be a better venue. It's pretty much 'six of one, a half dozen of the other.'

It does seem like an issue very, very far down the list of reasons to attend or not attend a game. If the Red Bulls played in a new stadium somewhere in Manhatten but the tickets were four times the price would that be better than playing in New Jersey on the transit line?

And it seems like a non-issue for players looking to sign there. All the media coverage will be New York media, so the team is as much in New York as any team is in any city.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-26-2010, 09:58 AM
AN other reason why mlse would sign a player like ADP is because their PR is the lowest it has been since they made this franchise. Plus i have a feeling that many fans wll still be reluctant to extend their season ticket, when you still have MO jhonston as a director of soccer... Even if we make a decent run. Also you need to realize that even at the position we are at the moment... which is pretty good... we would still be too close for comfort to the play-off cut ( the west is looking very strong....). ANd with Van and POrt joining next season (bringing their A game as I excpect)... IT WILL definetly not be easy to make next year's play offs.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Speaking as a "local"...even Brooklyn isn't considered "New York" to some. To many in the area, "New York" proper is Manhattan. Full stop. Everything else is what it is. The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, New Jersey etc. Do you think there is a chance that the Nets will be called the "New York Nets"? If they aren't, then it kind of proves my point. Wherever the Nets play is irrelevant from the point of view that they are a "NY" team much like the Devils, the Jets, the Giants, the Mets and the Yankees. None of which actually play in what the locals call "New York". There are only two teams that do. The Rangers and the Knicks, both of which play out of MSG in Manhattan. Everyone else plays in "the boroughs" or across the river and their fanbase is all over the tri-state area.

This is like if the Argos ever wind up leaving the Skydome and play out of Downsview park. Do you think they will be called the "North York Argonauts"?

Beach_Red
05-26-2010, 10:04 AM
This is like if the Argos ever wind up leaving the Skydome and play out of Downsview park. Do you think they will be called the "North York Argonauts"?

Hey, there was a plan floated last week for the Pan Am Games stadium to be built somewhere between Toronto and Hamilton and then having the TiCats and Argos share it. As someone said, that's so dumb it might just work. Of course, the Jets and Giants were used as the example.

jloome
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Speaking as a "local"...even Brooklyn isn't considered "New York" to some. To many in the area, "New York" proper is Manhattan. Full stop. Everything else is what it is. The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, New Jersey etc. Do you think there is a chance that the Nets will be called the "New York Nets"? If they aren't, then it kind of proves my point. Wherever the Nets play is irrelevant from the point of view that they are a "NY" team much like the Devils, the Jets, the Giants, the Mets and the Yankees. None of which actually play in what the locals call "New York". There are only two teams that do. The Rangers and the Knicks, both of which play out of MSG in Manhattan. Everyone else plays in "the boroughs" or across the river and their fanbase is all over the tri-state area.

Point well taken. The New York Islanders are from Long Island and get away with it, the New York Giants play in New Jersey and the New Jersey Nets were originally the New York Nets, so there ya go.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Point well taken. The New York Islanders are from Long Island and get away with it, the New York Giants play in New Jersey and the New Jersey Nets were originally the New York Nets, so there ya go.

LOL! Oh man, how easy it is to forget the Islanders. Except Mike Bossy...I was a big fan back in the day.

Anyways...the "Nets" and "Red Bulls" argument is silly when we think of how many teams that are named after cities don't actually play anywhere near the official city they are named after.

FC Dallas plays so far outside of Dallas, it's the equivalent of what we would call "Barrie". LOL!

Chicago Fire from what I hear play way outside actual Chicago.

The Phoenix Coyotes play in Glendale.

Even a huge team like the Dallas Cowboys don't play in actual Dallas, they play in Irving, Texas.

If anything, the New York Red Bulls are closer to the city carrying their actual name than almost half of all MLS teams.

Still...even I personally enjoy calling them the New Jersey Pink Cows. Not because I actually believe the legitimacy of the argument, but because it's fun to rib them about it.

Kaz
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
If DP is our DP - I have the perfect song for him!
I6qpQzK2Rj4
You couldn't find a version not in german for everything but the song? :P

ensco
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
The Nets are only moving because they'll be the anchor tenant of a huge real estate project at the Brooklyn Navy Yard site. The deal was falling apart until Prokhorov stepped in, he likes the proximity of the new Nets location to the main Russian speaking neighbourhoods (eg Brighton Beach)

In terms of access, Red Bull Park is easier/faster to get to, via transit, than either Yankee Stadium or Shea Stadium is, from almost anywhere on Manhattan. Especially from downtown.

It's a good suburban site. But it's still a suburban site. If that stadium could have somehow been on the west side of Manhattan, that team would sell out every game for the next 25 years.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
The Nets are only moving because they'll be the anchor tenant of a huge real estate dproject at the Brooklyn Navy Yard site. The deal was falling apart until Prokhorov stepped in, he likes the proximity of the new Nets location to the main Russian speaking neighbourhoods (eg Brighton Beach)

In terms of access, Red Bull Park is easier/faster to get to, via transit, than either Yankee Stadium or Shea Stadium is, from almost anywhere on Manhattan. Especially from downtown.

Yeah, I am really looking forward to attending a game at Red Bull Arena. From the MLS video showing the commute from central Manhattan, it looks pretty easy and quick. A helluvalot easier than getting to a Mets game. Or even worse, an Islanders game.

H Bomb
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
TFC DP thread has turned into a zoning convo about NYC....this rumour must not have legs...

backbeat
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
i know - they should start a NY vs NJ thread - i keep coming back expecting more news and it's NY/NJ stuff

give me a DP!!

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
WHO FUCKING CARES ABOUT NY????????

Jesus titty fucking christ, is this a RBNY messageboard all of a sudden? Take your shit elsewhere please.

Macksam
05-26-2010, 12:31 PM
If you take both the "former Italian international" and "current Juve player" then ADP is a good idea, it may also be Girgio Chiellini (a centre back)

You do realize that Camorensi fits the bill perfectly. He was axed by Italy, and is out of contract with Juventus I'm sure.

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
^^ I mentioned him earlier but I'm too buggered to look through the fucking zillion posts about NY and some bullshit I couldn't give two flying fucks about! :lol:

Macksam
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
^^ I mentioned him earlier but I'm too buggered to look through the fucking zillion posts about NY and some bullshit I couldn't give two flying fucks about! :lol:
Yeah, this thread is a mess after the first couple of pages.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM

Barely a page worth of posts about NY in a thread of 7 pages, probably under 10 posts in all, and that is too many for you to find your point of preference? :noidea:

And considering NY is where most of these rumours are originating from, it's irrelevant?

Macksam
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that a big name DP would make great financial sense for TFC. We've yet to sell out a game this year (although, yes, the weather did play a part) and no doubt income is down on all fronts too. A big name striker would increase our chances of winning games, playing more entertaining football, and adding credibility to the brand as a whole. No doubt ad sales would go up, and so would TV viewership.

What? Games have been reported as sell outs this season.

mastermixer
05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I am really looking forward to attending a game at Red Bull Arena. From the MLS video showing the commute from central Manhattan, it looks pretty easy and quick. A helluvalot easier than getting to a Mets game. Or even worse, an Islanders game.

Was there two weeks ago for the SEattle vs NYRB game. There is a PATH train that takes you from the World Trade Centre station (Downtown Manhattan) directly outside of the stadium in about 15 minutes. Costs $1.75.
Awesome looking stadium btw. The place was about 3/4 full but pretty loud with the roof.

Jeffro
05-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Barely a page worth of posts about NY in a thread of 7 pages, probably under 10 posts in all, and that is too many for you to find your point of preference? :noidea:

And considering NY is where most of these rumours are originating from, it's irrelevant?

Yes Roogs, totally irrellevant :)

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
What's relevant about NY in a thread about TORONTO's second DP? I fail to see the connection.

Cas87
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Boyd

How about Kris Boyd for striker?

Out of contract and I think with DP money we could get him away from all the other clubs trying for him

Beach_Red
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
What's relevant about NY in a thread about TORONTO's second DP? I fail to see the connection.

It's always he same thing, someone says that European players only want to play in New York and then someone points out that the Red Bulls don't play in New York (as if the guy will be living at the stadium) and it goes from there.

Really, if you'd managed to dig up more info on the trialists we wouldn't have had to bother with it ;).

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I did... check the thread. ;) I'm actually 90% sure Bojan is one of the three trialists. Nothing concrete at this point though...

Beach_Red
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I did... check the thread. ;) I'm actually 90% sure Bojan is one of the three trialists. Nothing concrete at this point though...

Yeah, I saw it, that's what my joke was about. Lame, sorry.

Super
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
What? Games have been reported as sell outs this season.

Okay, true, the home opener was indeed reported as sold out - even though it sure didn't look it. But the other games were not sold out, and I bet you that even scalpers walked away with huge losses (which I guess is a good thing). So it's time to do something to make this club more attractive to people.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Cheerleaders. :D

BFin
05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Roogs, if the conversation was directed at where the player was beinch poached from...I could see this being relevant...but talking about their new stadium, the Jets, Islanders, Mike Bossy, and the swamp that is New Jersey...is a little off topic.

I found it difficult to figure out what the hell was going on in this thread earlier, so I left it.

Villa TFC
05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Okay, true, the home opener was indeed reported as sold out - even though it sure didn't look it. But the other games were not sold out, and I bet you that even scalpers walked away with huge losses (which I guess is a good thing). So it's time to do something to make this club more attractive to people.

...and one sure fire way of filling those empty seats would be to get a big name Italian player, given the huge Italian-Canadian population. Del Piero would also attract plenty of non-Italian football fans (I know of several non-footie people who've never been to TFC but who have already bought tickets for the NYRB match in case Henry does indeed sign!), and as someone else pointed out, the shirt sales would be huge alone.

Toronto may not have the allure of New York (NJ/Brooklyn/Bronx etc etc) but there is a historical link between Juve and our city. Juve twice played the Blizzard here when they were overflowing with awesome talent (Zoff, Cabrini, Gentile, Scirea, Tardelli, Rossi, Platini, Boniek etc), the Blizzard even played Juve in Italy, and former Juve superstar Roberto Bettega played for the Blizzard. I think Bettega's time with Juve ended with Calciopoli (although I could be wrong and he could now be back), but I am sure ADP could have a chat with him about life here and I know that Bettega enjoyed his time here.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Roogs, if the conversation was directed at where the player was beinch poached from...I could see this being relevant...but talking about their new stadium, the Jets, Islanders, Mike Bossy, and the swamp that is New Jersey...is a little off topic.

I found it difficult to figure out what the hell was going on in this thread earlier, so I left it.

Difficult? Really? Whatever dude...if you had trouble figuring things out based on a few posts about the NY area, I'd be more worried about comprehension skills. If you don't think a discussion about the viability of the area is relevant in a discussion about DPs that are all being rumoured to be going to the Pink Cows then skip the posts and go to the posts that you do believe are relevant. It's not that hard.

People complaining about something being off-topic is off-topic in itself. The ironing is delicious.

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Roogs, the point is.. it was irrelevant banter and off topic from the current issue. People's threads have been shut down for less...

billyfly
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh man Bfin, Roogsy is so gonna eat you.

http://img.skysports.com/08/04/218x298/luisao_830062.jpg

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
...and one sure fire way of filling those empty seats would be to get a big name Italian player, given the huge Italian-Canadian population. Del Piero would also attract plenty of non-Italian football fans (I know of several non-footie people who've never been to TFC but who have already bought tickets for the NYRB match in case Henry does indeed sign!), and as someone else pointed out, the shirt sales would be huge alone.

Toronto may not have the allure of New York (NJ/Brooklyn/Bronx etc etc) but there is a historical link between Juve and our city. Juve twice played the Blizzard here when they were overflowing with awesome talent (Zoff, Cabrini, Gentile, Scirea, Tardelli, Rossi, Platini, Boniek etc), the Blizzard even played Juve in Italy, and former Juve superstar Roberto Bettega played for the Blizzard. I think Bettega's time with Juve ended with Calciopoli (although I could be wrong and he could now be back), but I am sure ADP could have a chat with him about life here and I know that Bettega enjoyed his time here.

I'd have to say that Juve is the most supported Italian team in Toronto so any major Italian stars from the national team and Juve (such as ADP, Buffon etc) would get instant recognition and respect from Toronto Italian community here.

I am not sure whether that is sufficient to keep them around as long-term fans, but you never know until you try.

Regardless, I don't think any of them are coming. ADP has already put an end to those rumours in the MLS article. He is back at Juve this upcoming season.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Roogs, the point is.. it was irrelevant banter and off topic from the current issue. People's threads have been shut down for less...

People have been asked to stay on topic for less. Point me to a thread that was shut down for less.

DichioTFC
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
People have been asked to stay on topic for less. Point me to a thread that was shut down for less.
The Roogsy Appreciation Thread

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
OFF TOPIC! I'm going to have to infract you for that... :D

DichioTFC
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
OFF TOPIC! I'm going to have to infract you for that... :D

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_sow_experts__5/ept_sports_sow_experts-581246776-1272921951.jpg?ymfNNFDDK_Rx1CV4

Macksam
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
A few of the others games were reported as sell outs as well. Attendance is an entirely different matter. As for the home opener, I was there and couldn't see an empty seat.

ensco
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
These conversations do repeat. Maybe there should be a stickied thread for all DP talk to MLS. Face it, there was zero specific to TFC in that rumour, so for any name you think might fit the story, you have to deal with why not NY, LA etc...it's a fact of life that these are the cities that will attract Euro stars.

DichioTFC
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
These conversations do repeat. Maybe there should be a stickied thread for all DP talk to MLS. Face it, there was zero specific to TFC in that rumour, so for any name you think might fit the story, you have to deal with why not NY, LA etc...it's a fact of life that these are the cities that will attract Euro stars.

I'm very uninterested with DP rumours but I love following them on the boards because 1. it cuts through the boredom between games and 2. people have the potential to get apeshit happy when they get even the smallest whiff of *Insert Name Here* coming to TFC.

Pachuco
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM

The Del Piero rumour surfaced from the 24thminute and it was specifically saying that a source from the team had told him we signed an ex Italian international who currently plays for Juventus.

Not that I believe he's coming, but it was pretty specific to TFC.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I tell you what though...I'd much rather have these ever-lasting DP rumour talks than discuss how shit our team is while we are in the middle of a slump.

These threads about possible DPs are generally positive, and who among us is not tired of all the negative crap sorrounding TFC, especially the past 2 years?

tfcleeds
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Boyd

How about Kris Boyd for striker?

Out of contract and I think with DP money we could get him away from all the other clubs trying for him

Wow, I had to do a double take when I saw that STB didn't post this. (Sorry, Liverpool thread thing).

tfcmanu
05-26-2010, 03:19 PM
In an interview with France Football, twice winner of the Ballon d'Or, BRAZILIAN Ronaldo (33), declared: "I'm starting to feel old. My body is constantly asking me to quit".....MAYBE TFC?

http://www.footballpress.net/?action=read&idsel=61198

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
^^ Really?

Man I hate shit like that. Same with Boyd. Unrealistic shit and shouldn't even bother being posted. It has nothing to do with the shit that started the thread which was...

The rumor is the paperwork for a second DP in Toronto has been signed and it is a former Italian International

mastermixer
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
The Del Piero rumour surfaced from the 24thminute and it was specifically saying that a source from the team had told him we signed an ex Italian international who currently plays for Juventus.

No offence to Duane, he's the number one soccer blogger that I follow, but this rumour will either make him very credible or put him into MLS-rumors status. I do see a lot of links to his site from other sites because of this post so I hope it wasnt a cry for blogosphere attention.

Ladies Love Julius James
05-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Ronaldo is coming for sure he told me. He said once he's over here he's recruit Pato and Kaka as well. Messi also said once his contract is up he's coming.

Shaughno
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
No offence to Duane, he's the number one soccer blogger that I follow, but this rumour will either make him very credible or put him into MLS-rumors status. I do see a lot of links to his site from other sites because of this post so I hope it wasnt a cry for blogosphere attention.

From what I heard... he was wrong, but hey, who knows?! ;)

Mikey
05-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Ronaldo is coming for sure he told me.

Is he flying Fedex freight class....?

ensco
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM

No. Someone posting that "a little bird told me that an Italian is coming to TFC" is NOT specific to TFC, because it's not specific to ANYTHING.

jabbronies
05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

If sold out means all of the tickets have been purchased, then I can only imagine how many tickets scalpers have based on the number of empty seats.

tfcmanu
05-26-2010, 03:56 PM
1 Miccoli - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrizio_Miccoli

2 Totti - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Totti

3 Grosso - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabio_Grosso

4 Cannavaro - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannavaro

:canada:

jabbronies
05-26-2010, 03:56 PM

why? he clearly states that it's just a rumour and you shouldn't put any money on it happening.

The guy has an ear to the cities soccer circles and if that rumour keeps coming up in discussions, perhaps he felt it necessary to write about it.

menefreghista
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
A few of the others games were reported as sell outs as well. Attendance is an entirely different matter. As for the home opener, I was there and couldn't see an empty seat.

I'm pretty sure only the home opener was listed as a sell out this season.

I would go check but the TFC website is so useless I may not even bother.

Edit: Just as I suspected, the highest listed attendance for a TFC home game this season was the home opener. Ever other match at BMO Field had lower attendance than that game.

brad
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd have to say that Juve is the most supported Italian team in Toronto so any major Italian stars from the national team and Juve (such as ADP, Buffon etc) would get instant recognition and respect from Toronto Italian community here.

I am not sure whether that is sufficient to keep them around as long-term fans, but you never know until you try.

I went to the Juve game last night, and I don't know if what I saw was indicative of the fan base here, but what I saw was a whole bunch of ADP fans that didn't seem to care about the rest of the Juve team.

That makes me wonder if we'd end up with a bunch of ADP cheerleaders that couldn't care less about the rest of TFC.

Juanito
05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
I was at the match as well ... I think he would at least bring a little more credibility to TFC. I would welcome Del Piero @ TFC. Even if it was just for two seasons.

Yohan
05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
just to fuel more possible DP situation

Durbin reiterated that teams ARE allowed to pay transfer fees for designated players, which is what we’d mentioned after the Jozy Altidore sale. Listen to what he says and it sounds to me like Altidore is financing the Red Bulls' transfer fee for Thierry Henry.
“Ultimately the league is there to manage that process, but the teams are very well versed in what our salary structure is, what appropriate salary levels are. For the most part they’re making their own decisions,’’ said Durbin.
“They have a fair amount of freedom. We want them out signing players. That’s what we want we want them to be entrepreneurial, innovative and out trying to sign players that’ll make the product better. That’s what we want.’’
Oh boy. Tell me that doesn't have the sound of RBNY forking over cash to Barcelona to get Henry here this summer instead of next?

paying transfer fees for DP players....

iansmcl
05-27-2010, 12:59 AM
S_D would know better but I think transfer fees are added to the salary cap in some form.

Yohan
05-27-2010, 02:38 AM
S_D would know better but I think transfer fees are added to the salary cap in some form.
not if you pay in allocation money

plus MLS FO is going to tweek the rules to allow guys like Henry to sign for MLS

drewski
05-27-2010, 08:46 AM
anybody contacts say that a transfer for Rooney has been ruled out? :D

tfc2007
05-28-2010, 03:30 PM
anybody contacts say that a transfer for Rooney has been ruled out? :D

My sources say that TFC and Man U are close to a deal. Could be any day now.

Roney is said to be a huge leaf fan, so he isnt even signing as a DP, but, in the contract are Front row leaf season tixs.

Any day now... any day....

TFCtoMUFC
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
My sources say that TFC and Man U are close to a deal. Could be any day now.

Roney is said to be a huge leaf fan, so he isnt even signing as a DP, but, in the contract are Front row leaf season tixs.

Any day now... any day....

I heard in the deal he got Argos seasons tickets and a GO Train and TTC pass.

Roogsy
05-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I heard in the deal he got Argos seasons tickets and a GO Train and TTC pass.

Those are taxable benefits. He will have to declare them.

(Kudos to those who get that reference)