PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,May 25

denime
05-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Mornin'

Finally, Toronto FC has the right attitude (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/finally-toronto-fc-has-the-right-attitude/article1579583/)

The Reds are firmly on the march (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=3067490)

Argentina tears apart Canada + Video (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/world_cup/2010/05/24/argentina_beats_canada/)

Argentina thumps Canada in World Cup tuneup (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifaworldcup/argentina/story/2010/05/24/sp-canada-argentina.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

BritSOL
05-25-2010, 05:42 AM
SSG has a disturbing pantie bulge in picture 15

CretanBull
05-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Mornin' D

scooter
05-25-2010, 06:59 AM
mornin d

spark
05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
With two positive results against two sides (Juventus/Boca) that are hugely supported at home and around the world (especially N.America), these matches give a glimpse at some numbers of passionate supporters in N. America who aren't yet on board, or on the fence, with MLS/local sides. Will the wins do anything to convince otherwise?

TAPPING INTO THE PASSION (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Tapping_Into_the_Passion_may_25_10_column.shtml)

And would be remiss to mention RNO has a contributor in S. America now, was at the Canada v Argentina game and will be at Venezuela. Tons of vids/flikr, etc ...

CANADA GOES TO SCHOOL (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Canada_Goes_to_School_may_25_10_feature.shtml)

razor787
05-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Bahaha ssg has a penis!!

Number Nine
05-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Bahaha ssg has a penis!!

Yeah, I don't understand that...

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 07:44 AM
A very important study was released Monday :D :

Women come second to soccer in male chats worldwide - poll

NEW YORK - When men get together with their mates soccer is the main topic of conversation, not their wives and girlfriends or even work.
Nearly 90 percent of men questioned in a global survey said they talked about their favorite football teams and players when they got together with friends, significant others came in a distant second at 45 per cent and work trailed behind with 34 per cent.
“It might not be the news women wanted to hear but it appears men really do only think about one thing when they get together with their mates — and that’s football,” said Tim Ellerton, of Heineken International which sponsored the poll.
Soccer most dominated male conversations in China and Russia, for 94 per cent and 93 percent of men, according to the survey that spanned 15 countries and included 5,300 men.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Women+come+second+soccer+male+chats+worldwide+poll/3057095/story.html

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
From James' article:

The franchise’s first head coach, Mo Johnston, while presented with the difficult task of developing Canada’s first MLS squad of players into a cohesive unit, realistically showed no aptitude, diligence, or fortitude for getting the job done. Instead, he promoted himself “upstairs” into the position of director of soccer, leaving definite question marks with regard to his own mentality as leader of the club.

hmmm... seems like the media are no longer fooled by what is going on.

ManUtd4ever
05-25-2010, 07:49 AM
A very important study was released Monday :D :
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Women+come+second+soccer+male+chats+worldwide+poll/3057095/story.html

Hahaha I love it. I have to show this article to my wife so she'll realize I'm not the only one. Thanks Oldtimer! :D

TFC/Everton
05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Hahaha I love it. I have to show this article to my wife so she'll realize I'm not the only one. Thanks Oldtimer! :D

My girl tells me this every day!!! But lets be serious, talking footy is always better than talking about "feelings and blah blah blah".

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 08:21 AM
^^ You just gotta get a girl who likes to talk footy too. ;)

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Oh and that Paul James article is spot fucking on. Fantastic, well written and great comparisons.

Pigfynn
05-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Duane Rollins is stoking the second DP for TFC flames here:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/05/i-hate-dp-rumours.html#comments

flatpicker
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Duane Rollins is stoking the second DP for TFC flames here:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/05/i-hate-dp-rumours.html#comments

Oh good... rumours!
It's been too long since we had any good speculating.

Beach_Red
05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Oh and that Paul James article is spot fucking on. Fantastic, well written and great comparisons.

Yes, it's a good article but he makes the same mistake every soccer writer does -- he misidentifies, "the top," where the proper attitude has to start.

But things do look good right now. The soccer team hasn't quite wrested control away from "the top" the way the hockey team has, but they're on the right path.

Shaughno
05-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Yes, it's a good article but he makes the same mistake every soccer writer does -- he misidentifies, "the top," where the proper attitude has to start.

But things do look good right now. The soccer team hasn't quite wrested control away from "the top" the way the hockey team has, but they're on the right path.

I think Preki has shown the 'top' that attitude and commitment is more important than high profile players. Having the right players in the right system is even more beneficial when you have the entire team believing in themselves, and the team.

maninb
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
God is Onstad a f*cking nightmare...didn't see the 5th goal but he should of had the 1st, 2nd, and 4th goal....Surely we've got better options than him?

Alarius
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
^^^

A lot of those players won't even be there for our next world cup attempt... yet we decided to play them anyway? What about giving the young-ins the exposure instead...

bgnewf
05-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I Did Not See Any Bears While Camping, - But I Did See A Couple Of Red Bulls

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/i-did-not-see-any-bears-while-camping-but-i-did-see-a-couple-of-red-bulls/ (http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/i-did-not-see-any-bears-while-camping-but-i-did-see-a-couple-of-red-bulls/)

I met a couple of Red Bulls supporters this weekend on a camping trip and our conversation was a cautionary tale for TFC supporters.

Comments always welcome

I missed only my second TFC home game ever last Saturday, as I had the chance to get out of town for a few days to go camping with a bunch of friends, old and new. And knowing that the campsite (a motorcycle club campsite in Welland actually ) had a clubhouse with a TV in it gave me the chance to see both the TFC game and the Champions League final as well, I said “what the heck…. Let’s go camping!”

While there I met a ton of new people, including a couple from New York City that are long time New York Red Bull supporters and are also active in the supporters groups scene. Of course they see me rocking some TFC gear and the conversation turns to all things footy quite quickly. We specifically chatted about the supporter’s culture around both clubs and how they are both similar in some aspects but very different in others. I also wanted to know how the new Red Bull Arena is changing things for the supporters other than just attendance.

Why I am talking about the Red Bulls on a TFC blog you might ask? The reason is because there are some lessons from their supporters experience that we as TFC supporters can learn from and perhaps benefit from going forward.

Smoke

In the supporters section of Red Bull Arena there are steel boxes containing sand so that designated individuals can “responsibly” use smoke bombs to create atmosphere in the stadium and have a safe club approved means to dispose of them. I for one wish TFC would allow the same. Red Bulls purposely installed these boxes because they understand that when done correctly and responsibly, smoke can add a tremendous amount to the experience of all fans.

Capos/Chants

Like TFC does in the south end of BMO Field, there are Capo stands for the supporters groups in Red Bull Arena. Unlike TFC, where the capos generally coordinate chants and work well together, the Capos in New York are often apparently working against one another more often than not. In New York there is a lot of conflict between different supporters groups when it comes to chants. A number of chants are Spanish in origin or English of course. Different factions will not sing the chants of another linguistic group while some will. And some Capos apparently use the Capo stand to push agendas when it comes to language and ethnicity. This leads to a lot of infighting between individual groups.

I know that some supporters in Toronto are not fans of the “Capo” model. But I can speak from experience that there are no agendas here like there apparently are in New York. And the fan experience at BMO Field is the better for it. Supporters need to work to ensure that this is the way things remain.

Old vs. New

With Red Bull Arena being a 25 minute subway ride from Manhattan there are larger crowds and newer fans showing up all the time. Some of them are becoming interested in the supporters culture and are either starting new supporters groups or joining more established ones. This is leading to a lot of friction between the old guard who have been there since day one (like the couple I met) and the newer supporters showing up and wanting in to the party. The long time supporters are often feeling that these newcomers are either not true supporters or are not respecting the traditions that they have built since the old Metro Stars days. Integrating newcomers into established groups can be a challenging bit of business. Both in the New York and Toronto examples, finding a way to encourage newcomers to join in has to be tempered with making sure that you do not lose the “culture” that has already been established.

Lessons For Toronto

Toronto FC has a number of different supporters groups that choose somewhat styles of support. I personally know individuals in just about all of these groups and count many of them as close friends. They choose their own “style” of support and gravitate towards groups with like minded individuals within them. This is as it should be. Some groups are more overt in their passion. Some groups are more structured or unstructured shall we say and the fact that there is diversity in approach makes it easier for a fan to find a place that suits them.

Sometimes these “styles” of support do not mesh. Sometimes these differences, while minor in reality, appear to be huge in perception. Sometimes familiarity breeds contempt and personality conflicts between individuals are blown out of proportion. Some people who called themselves friends and comrades in year one do not speak to one another in year four. And in my eyes that is a great shame.

At the end of the day we are all here for the same things, love of club, fun, camaraderie and a passion for the sport.

A lot of New York supporters are completely forgetting that there are far more important aspects to supporters culture than politics, agendas and conflict. The issues they are facing are much more intractable than anything TFC supporters groups are facing and they will be much more difficult to overcome. I hope that the situation in New York is a cautionary tale for Toronto. Yes there are differences between TFC supporters groups, but the differences are trivial in comparison to the issues in New York. Toronto FC is a stronger club, and BMO Field a tougher place for opponents to win in, if supporters groups are working closer together and are more united in purpose.

The “All For One” slogan on the back of TFC jerseys may have been created by a marketing person, but to me it truly has meaning and relevance.

We forget that at out peril.

Whoop
05-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Agreed.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Word Newf.....word. :hurray:

Pachuco
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
God is Onstad a f*cking nightmare...didn't see the 5th goal but he should of had the 1st, 2nd, and 4th goal....Surely we've got better options than him?

I was thinking to myself that if Craig Forrest was in net for Canada this would be a different team. I don't understand how Onstad is still the best we have in Canada.

Sonny Cheeba
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
^his dumb haircut is enough for me to cut him from the squad.

Pigfynn
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Midfielder Julian de Guzman and defender Nana Attakora both took part in the session with the rest of the squad indoors at Oakville Soccer Club.

Why the fuck are we still training inside?!?!!!!

This is bullshit, why go through all this trouble for grass at BMO so you can 1) train indoors on a gorgeous day
2) let joe blow and his buddies play at BMO everyday

:picard:

Carts
05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
TV RATINGS:
Toronto FC vs New England CBC National = 134,000

Carts...

TFC/Everton
05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
That sunshine "girl" is a guy. No boobs. Penis in picture 15.

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
TV RATINGS:
Toronto FC vs New England CBC National = 134,000

Carts...

That's good no? :thumbsup:

ensco
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
That's good no? :thumbsup:

I think it's exactly the same as the numbers have always been for Saturday afternoon games (my recollection is they bounce around 100-150K).

If anything, it's a weak number, as it fed directly into a huge NHL playoff game involving the Habs. You'd learn more by knowing what the first half hour's vs the last half hour's, ratings looked like.

GBV
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Maurice Edu scored for the U.S. tonight versus Czechs.
Currently 2-2. He had the first of the night.

Watchable at atdhe.net.